PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Siberian Orchestra -- Dayton, OH -- December 4th, 2005

DethMaiden
12-04-2005, 06:38 PM
In short, wow.

This was an incredible show, and certainly the most high-budget production I've ever had the privilege of seeing. The metal flowed, and the sixty and over crowd (which coincidentally made up a good 75% of the audience) were absolutely disgusted at Alex Skolnick (Testament) and Chris Caffery (Savatage) with their insane nearly nonstop shredding.

I threw the devil fingers high and was proud that they stayed metal even in the context of a Christmas show:horns:

The setlist was as follows:

Wizards in Winter
An Angel Came Down
O Come All Ye Faithful/O Holy Night
The Prince of Peace
First Snow
The Silent Nutcracker
A Mad Russian's Christmas
Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24
Good King Joy
Ornament
Old City Bar
Promises to Keep
This Christmas Day
An Angel Returned
Christmas Nights in Blue
Christmas Jam
Christmas Canon Rock
Night Castle (from upcoming album, sneak preview song!)
Queen of the Winter Night
Requiem (The 5th)
Wish Liszt (Toy Shop Madness)
Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 (Reprise)

In-fucking-credible. Ask for details if you want, this review was quite brief.

ADD
12-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Glad you liked it man!:rocker:

powerslave_85
12-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Old City Bar is my favorite song to listen to at Christmas time. I'm not ashamed to admit that it makes me tear up a little :bliss:

DethMaiden
12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Old City Bar is my favorite song to listen to at Christmas time. I'm not ashamed to admit that it makes me tear up a little :bliss:

That actually wasn't one of the show's high points...the vocalist for it tried to sound like Jon Oliva and ended up sounding like absolute shit.

Ah well, just the same, it's a great tune...

Maiden33
12-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Im soo jealous man... great set, and I'm sure a great show... sadly I don't have the money to see them here... so I guess I just have to resort to being jealous of you... luckily I can still hold the fact that I saw your favorite band 2 more times than you did over your head. Take that! haha
Rock on

Bloodcurse
12-06-2005, 08:14 PM
I saw TSO in Wilkes-Barre, PA back in November. Excellent show!!!

JRA
12-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Alex Skolnick (Testament)

I have wanted to check him out for a while, but I haven't heard too many good things regarding Testament. What else has he been involved in.

DethMaiden
12-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I have wanted to check him out for a while, but I haven't heard too many good things regarding Testament. What else has he been involved in.

Some studio Savatage and Alex Skolnick Trio, a jazz project.

Fe Maiden
12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. I like TSO but not their songs with vocals. The instrumentals however are awesome!!!

EvilCheeseWedge
12-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. I like TSO but not their songs with vocals. The instrumentals however are awesome!!!

Agreed.

ADD
12-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Bad things about Testament?:lol:

JRA
12-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Bad things about Testament?:lol:

And I quote "...the lame Testament, who were, other than their lead guitarist, a few screw turns loose in the creativity department." Just sayin what I've heard man.

ADD
12-07-2005, 04:25 PM
And I quote "...the lame Testament, who were, other than their lead guitarist, a few screw turns loose in the creativity department." Just sayin what I've heard man.
:hecho: Well whoever wrote that needs a head adjustment:chair: Go pick up The Legacy at once:horns:

IronFist
12-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Cool review. I am going to be seeing them on Tuesday and I can't bloody wait.

I also work at Ticketmaster, and seeing the types of people who buy for this event is amazing. All different ages and races, can't wait to see their disappointed faces :D

DethMaiden
12-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Cool review. I am going to be seeing them on Tuesday and I can't bloody wait.

I also work at Ticketmaster, and seeing the types of people who buy for this event is amazing. All different ages and races, can't wait to see their disappointed faces :D

:lol: Yeah, it was fun to see the Denny's Senior Discount crowd watch some metal...

powerslave_85
12-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Believe it or not, my mom was the one who got me into them, so there goes your whole theory about older people not liking their heavy sound :tongue:

ADD
12-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Believe it or not, my mom was the one who got me into them, so there goes your whole theory about older people not liking their heavy sound :tongue:
Same here actually!:D

IronFist
12-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Just saw them on Tuesday. Fucking incredible! Their light show was the hi-light, the music was just perfect too, but due to lousy seats (I hate seated concerts) I didn't have as much fun as I could have. Some of that music easily could have started a mosh (if I was on the ground!)

Anyways, I also saw them on Regis and Kelly this morning. The female singer is just incredible. Such a beautiful voice. Such a talented band!1

DethMaiden
12-16-2005, 03:19 AM
Just saw them on Tuesday. Fucking incredible! Their light show was the hi-light, the music was just perfect too, but due to lousy seats (I hate seated concerts) I didn't have as much fun as I could have. Some of that music easily could have started a mosh (if I was on the ground!)

Anyways, I also saw them on Regis and Kelly this morning. The female singer is just incredible. Such a beautiful voice. Such a talented band!1

I saw that too (Regis and Kelly)...I didn't watch the whole show but I saw Nathan Lane on there :D

KerryKingsBeard
12-16-2005, 04:06 AM
Nathan Lane
His brother works at my school.

DethMaiden
12-16-2005, 12:22 PM
His brother works at my school.

Cool...he's in the new Producers with Broderick.:party:

DethMaiden
03-06-2006, 05:38 PM
This is old and no one cares, but I had two songs on there that they didn't play. Those are now gone.