PDA

View Full Version : Shadows Fall going on indefinite hiatus

anomynous
08-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Massachusetts metal band Shadows Fall will embark on their final European tour in less than a week. The “Hell on Earth” tour will begin in Frankfurt, Germany on Aug. 29 and runs until Sept. 14. The tour also features Unearth, The Acacia Strain and War of Ages. The band has been touring non-stop for over a decade and has decided that it’s time to “take a hiatus” from future extensive touring. In addition to this upcoming European run, Shadows Fall are planning a final North American tour and will possibly visit a few other territories some time over the next year. We will post details once everything is locked in. There are many factors that are behind this difficult decision that the band has been dealing with for some time now. In a nutshell it comes down to families, member availability, and finances. Further impacting our decision is the fact that we have two members with young children. Plain and simple, they want to be with their families to watch their kids grow. Touring full time in a band these days has never been more difficult financially. When you have to ensure the future comfort of your family, difficult decisions have to be made. Another reason is the fact that our lead guitarist (Jon Donais) is now in Anthrax, which makes it hard for us to do any extensive touring with our full lineup. Due to his obligations with Anthrax, he will not be able to join us on this European tour. Felipe Roa will once again fill Jon’s position and we are thankful to him for joining us on this run. Also returning for this tour is original bassist Paul Romanko who has sat out from touring for the last two years to raise his son. This has been a real hard decision for all of us to make but we feel at this time this is the right thing to do. We don’t hate each other, we’re not bitter, we in fact still have a really great time together, but the ride has slowed down and it's time for the next chapters in our lives, whatever that may be. We can't thank the fans that have supported Shadows Fall since the beginning enough. Without you, none of this would have been possible. For the past decade and a half, we have been able to create the music we have always wanted to hear and share it with music fans everywhere. That being said, you still may see us at a festival or two over the next few years…if they ask, we will come! In the meantime please check out the dates for the last European go around and we will see you out there!

RIP

John The Drummer
08-25-2014, 10:14 AM
How many bands have called their tour the Hell on Earth tour now???

Anyway, that sucks. I lost interest in Shadows Fall after "The War Within" since all of their songs started to sound the same, but "The Art of Balance" was an album I listened to non-stop many summers ago.

300%_Density
08-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Unfortunate but not surprising. Met Brian and he was super nice. I have a feeling if the finances were still like they used to be, we wouldn't be reading this. Hopefully the reunion tour they have in 5 years will get new interest in the band.

Also is Jon a full time Anthrax member or just a hired hand for touring?

AnthG
08-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I'll go see 'em if they pass through Toronto. Been a fan since 2007 and still haven't seen 'em headline, so hopefully they do a full headliner even if they're only playing to 50 people a night these days.

anomynous
08-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Jon's recording for the new Anthrax album, but still not "official official."

I guess for contractual reasons.

Steev
08-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Not shocked, the writing has been on the wall for a few years. It sucks they've gotten the shaft in recent years when it came to solid tours.

MPF
08-25-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm bummed but totally understand it. Just look at the venues of their last tour compared to this time a decade ago.

NO point in being a full time extensive touring band if there isn't enough interest in it.

Derelict
08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Really thought these guys would hit it big but it just never happened. A lot of bands they took out at openers (LoG, Killswitch, Avenged Sevenfold) seemed to explode pretty quickly, while they stayed about the same.

hellawaits77ny
08-25-2014, 09:07 PM
That sucks. Was never really a fan of these guys, but they were a great live band and really seemed to bust their asses. I think their change in style (from the small amount I know about them) may have hurt them in the long run.

zerkz
08-26-2014, 05:17 AM
One of the first "growling" bands that I got into. I kind of saw it coming after Fire from the Sky. I really liked Retribution before it though.

I'm hoping their final US tour comes through the Pittsburgh area. Their recent setlists have been badass. If they play "For Those Who Cannot Speak", like they have been, I will shit all of my pants.

ravenheart
08-26-2014, 05:37 AM
Unsurprising. Every time they brought out a new album (usually on yet another new label because they'd been dropped), no one cared.

I'm just glad Brian Fair isn't on the next Metal All Stars tour.

TonyD
08-26-2014, 01:02 PM
"2004's hottest up and coming metal acts tour"

It's probably getting to the point where the money they're making on tour just isn't worth the trouble since they've been fading in popularity.

DementedX14
08-27-2014, 06:06 PM
This band peaked at The War Within which was their best album and the follow up album Threads of Life is where it all went downhill for them in terms of popularity.