PDA

View Full Version : Evergrey- Hymns For The Broken

MPF
08-14-2014, 02:47 PM
http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/evergreyhymnscdlower.jpg

First Single: King Of Errors

Jonas and Henrik are back in the band, they have come back in a major way. I dare say their best work since The Inner Circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmmh69G-pt0

:drool:

ravenheart
08-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Finding the new song very boring. It sounds like someone covering Evergrey. Standard, standard stuff.

MPF
08-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Finding the new song very boring. It sounds like someone covering Evergrey. Standard, standard stuff.

I guess I don't see it that way. It sounds like a step in the right direction. Glorious Collision started that process of getting back on track and this feels like this will keep up with that.

Not to say it lives up to the classic stuff, but I'm very happy with this, and knowing Evergrey's choices of Singles, the rest of the album will be better than this, which is a good sign.

ravenheart
08-14-2014, 03:32 PM
I can't hear anything in it that I haven't heard from them before. Mind you, I barely heard anything new in Glorious Collision either. And live... even less exciting.

Tom goes on about how lame and crappy life is non-stop... and I can hear it in his music. Stagnation epitomised.

MPF
08-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Well again, I'm not saying they are breaking any ground here. Just that it's a step in the right direction.

Plenty of bands stick to a central theme when writing music.I don't care about lyrics as much as I do vocal melodies/harmonies/ and of course the overall music, so as long as that's good to my ears, Tom and Co. can't do any wrong.

ravenheart
08-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Well again, I'm not saying they are breaking any ground here. Just that it's a step in the right direction.

Plenty of bands stick to a central theme when writing music.I don't care about lyrics as much as I do vocal melodies/harmonies/ and of course the overall music, so as long as that's good to my ears, Tom and Co. can't do any wrong.

I'm a bit surprised, therefore, that you didn't get bored of Evergrey sooner than I did! Their lyrics are more important to their songs than anything they do musically.

TheWildAndTheYoung
08-14-2014, 03:52 PM
I can't hear anything in it that I haven't heard from them before. Mind you, I barely heard anything new in Glorious Collision either. And live... even less exciting.

Tom goes on about how lame and crappy life is non-stop... and I can hear it in his music. Stagnation epitomised.

Why must everything be groundbreaking/totally different for it be good to you? A band needs to be faithful to there sound in my opinion, except in rare cases.

I for one will definitely be checking this out.

ravenheart
08-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Why must everything be groundbreaking/totally different for it be good to you? A band needs to be faithful to there sound in my opinion, except in rare cases.

Everything doesn't, but well done for pointlessly generalising. We can all play that game; does everything have to be exactly like everything else you already listen to for it to be good to you? :finger: It's just better when it is different. Repetition is boring and a good band can easily stay "true", as you put it, to their sound without simply copying their previous material.

MPF
08-14-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm a bit surprised, therefore, that you didn't get bored of Evergrey sooner than I did! Their lyrics are more important to their songs than anything they do musically.

The only album I don't dig much is Torn. everything else I can find something to love about. Recreation Day is one of my favorite albums of all time, so I'll always have a soft spot for them.

Maybe it is because I don't pay as much attention to lyrics in songs (I don't do that with any band, including my own bands,) I just like the way things are sung more than the content. But I know I am different than most of the world.

I see it from his point too. there are plenty of people who feel that unless a band brings you something you don't hear in a different band, that there's not much interest to be shown. I don't see anything wrong with that either. I get excited about a ton of bands no one gives a fuck about :lol:

TheWildAndTheYoung
08-14-2014, 04:01 PM
I get excited about a ton of bands no one gives a fuck about :lol:

Right there with you :D

ravenheart
08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
The only album I don't dig much is Torn. everything else I can find something to love about. Recreation Day is one of my favorite albums of all time, so I'll always have a soft spot for them.

That was the beginning of their descent into obscurity for me. Like Glorious Collision, Torn wasn't bad, it just wasn't at all interesting. Both solid 3/5 albums for me, but by the time Glorious Collision arrived it was a couple of drab live shows later, so I was already bored of them and it had nothing about it that pulled me out of that. I had to get DethMaiden to review it! He totally fanboyed over it :lol:

there are plenty of people who feel that unless a band brings you something you don't hear in a different band, that there's not much interest to be shown.

It's not even that they have to be significantly different to other bands, although ridiculous plagiarists like Airbourne deserve nothing, but any band as a bare minimum should actually write new material. Simply doing the exact same thing over again is pointless. I already have the previous albums, what's the point in listening to something that just copies those? I can just put those on instead and save myself some time and money. If a band is going to do that, then making new albums is a waste of time and they might as well take Twisted Sister's attitude.

I get excited about a ton of bands no one gives a fuck about :lol:

Damn right. Everyone with a will and no reliance on the radio does this.

MPF
08-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Right there with you :D

There are a ton of bands you like that I dig (and my girlfriend loves).

I just love expanding my horizons when it comes to Rock and Metal because I never want to get burnt out on what I love. Plus with all the promos I get it helps me discover stuff I may have never found on my own.

I burnt myself out on Metallica from 6th grade till I discovered Dream Theater and Opeth one day when I randomly bought an album from each at Walmart one day after hearing recommendations right before I started 8th grade. Granted, St. Anger came out roughly the same time so I needed to hear something different that Metallica :lol:

ravenheart
08-14-2014, 04:08 PM
I just love expanding my horizons when it comes to Rock and Metal because I never want to get burnt out on what I love.

EXACTLY the reason I want bands to actually create.

MPF
08-14-2014, 04:15 PM
That was the beginning of their descent into obscurity for me. Like Glorious Collision, Torn wasn't bad, it just wasn't at all interesting. Both solid 3/5 albums for me, but by the time Glorious Collision arrived it was a couple of drab live shows later, so I was already bored of them and it had nothing about it that pulled me out of that. I had to get DethMaiden to review it! He totally fanboyed over it :lol:

It's not even that they have to be significantly different to other bands, although ridiculous plagiarists like Airbourne deserve nothing, but any band as a bare minimum should actually write new material. Simply doing the exact same thing over again is pointless. I already have the previous albums, what's the point in listening to something that just copies those? I can just put those on instead and save myself some time and money. If a band is going to do that, then making new albums is a waste of time and they might as well take Twisted Sister's attitude.

Damn right. Everyone with a will and no reliance on the radio does this.

Oh I can totally see that, I never heard much of Airbourne. I don't even think i can name one of their songs, but I hear it from enough people that I already listen to AC/DC so I have no need to check out Airbourne. If they put out another album soon and I get a promo, I will give it a legitimate chance, I'll give any band/album/song *depending on the situation* that before I judge it.

As for Evergrey live, I've only had the opportunity to see them live once. Sabaton played right before them and pretty much the whole crowd, minus 3 rows of people in a very narrow venue, left. They played almost every song I wanted to hear (I don't think they play Your Darkest Hour live) so I really enjoyed the show. Granted, they got drunk on stage to make up for having a small crowd, but I still loved it. Come to think of it, I might have been the only one in the crowd who did. :lol:

ravenheart
08-14-2014, 04:18 PM
If they put out another album soon and I get a promo, I will give it a legitimate chance, I'll give any band/album/song *depending on the situation* that before I judge it.

Correct approach. Even if a band has made three shitty albums in a row, I'll give the fourth one a chance because it might be just as likely that they'll have changed tact and made a great album as another band might make a shit album after three great ones.

I'll never be that chump who says "are they still going?" because they stopped bothering to pay attention to a band after one bad album.

MPF
08-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Correct approach. Even if a band has made three shitty albums in a row, I'll give the fourth one a chance because it might be just as likely that they'll have changed tact and made a great album as another band might make a shit album after three great ones.

I'll never be that chump who says "are they still going?" because they stopped bothering to pay attention to a band after one bad album.

I think I probably learned that approach from you. A shitty band is capable of turning their career around and making good music, and the exact opposite is even more true. I never wanna deny myself something I could like musically because of per-existing notions.

ravenheart
08-14-2014, 04:35 PM
I never wanna deny myself something I could like musically because of per-existing notions.

You know what's worse? People who do that because of OTHER PEOPLE'S pre-existing notions :lol:

Example, so many people have no idea what Blaze Bayley's solo albums sound like because popular opinion is his albums with Maiden suck.

TheWildAndTheYoung
08-14-2014, 04:37 PM
See if a band sounds like another band that I like, I usually won't care as long as I like their songs. Doesn't matter if I can get the same thing but better from the original band, just because it isn't the best and isn't different doesn't mean I won't like it. When it comes to newer bands, I like bands like Crashdiet, H.e.a.t, and Crazy Lixx for continuing on 80's hard rock, and bands like Skull Fist and White Wizzard for continuing on NWOBHM.

I don't like AC/DC (some good riffs, but just never got into them) so Airbourne doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

MPF
08-14-2014, 05:26 PM
You know what's worse? People who do that because of OTHER PEOPLE'S pre-existing notions :lol:

Example, so many people have no idea what Blaze Bayley's solo albums sound like because popular opinion is his albums with Maiden suck.

Oh God, yes! I try not to take negative response into consideration for that reason alone.