PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd - "The Endless River"

PVH5150
07-05-2014, 11:11 AM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-news/

I just hope this means a tour of some sorts in the US. I need to see David Gilmour before he calls it a career.

mankvill
07-05-2014, 11:14 AM
i luv dadrock

Onioner
07-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Not gonna lie, I would pay giant fucking money to see Pink Floyd.

Jochen
07-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't believe it. Obviously a conspiracy of some sort.

SignoftheHammer
07-05-2014, 11:39 AM
God DAMN, I did not see this coming at all. I'm not expecting a tour, but this is exciting news!

illuminatus917
07-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Holy fucking shit...

Travis The Dragon
07-05-2014, 12:58 PM
WOW!!!! I did not expect this either! I have everything crossed that this is true!

Steev
07-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Stoners and bros collectively rejoice and await lyrics they can quote in an attempt to sound deep/get laid

illuminatus917
07-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Stoners and bros collectively rejoice and await lyrics they can quote in an attempt to sound deep/get laid

That's the best you've got, huh.

Steev
07-05-2014, 02:04 PM
That's the best you've got, huh.

Best what? I see it on Facebook all the time, and it's usual the same lines over and over.

PVH5150
07-05-2014, 04:37 PM

David Gilmour > the entirety of Knot Fest.

TonyD
07-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Sure sounds like unfinished/leftover studio material being finished. I would guess we could see a David Gilmour tour but if the Pink Floyd tour didn't happen 10 years ago, it's definitely not happening now.

300%_Density
07-05-2014, 06:21 PM
A tour would be great but seems doubtful. Even if they did it would probably only hit A markets and the prices would be ungodly.

I'd settle for a new album. I don't remember caring for the Division Bell real well but it's been awhile. As long as it's no worse than Division Bell I'd be ok w/ that.

illuminatus917
07-05-2014, 11:13 PM
David Gilmour > the entirety of Knot Fest.

I thought you were satirizing by making up some shitty festival name that complemented Uproar or Mayhem, but then I saw that there's a thread actually devoted to that festival and that it actually exists. :eyes: :hecho:

And that the people on this site are more interested in discussing it than the possibility of a new Pink Floyd album. :hecho: :hecho:

mankvill
07-05-2014, 11:14 PM
I thought you were satirizing by making up some shitty festival name that complemented Uproar or Mayhem, but then I saw that there's a thread actually devoted to that festival and that it actually exists. :hecho:

And that the people on this site are more interested in discussing it than the possibility of a new Pink Floyd album. :hecho: :hecho:

sorry, both nu-metal-fest and dad rock album of the year achieve the same amount of lameness

illuminatus917
07-05-2014, 11:22 PM
dad rock

:lol:

Next time I spin a Sabbath record, I'll think "dad rock" time.

PVH5150
07-06-2014, 07:21 AM
sorry, both nu-metal-fest and dad rock album of the year achieve the same amount of lameness

"07/31 - Warped"

Shut up.

ravenheart
07-06-2014, 07:40 AM
It's old songs, there'll be no tour.

Steev
07-06-2014, 09:43 AM
http://s15.postimg.org/3o325uoyz/image.jpg

Steev
07-06-2014, 09:48 AM
I thought you were satirizing by making up some shitty festival name that complemented Uproar or Mayhem, but then I saw that there's a thread actually devoted to that festival and that it actually exists. :eyes: :hecho:

Probably because a festival with 30+ bands is more interesting than what will almost definitely be a disappointment to anyone who'd hold their breath on Pink Floyd doing anything in the future

mankvill
07-06-2014, 10:43 AM
"07/31 - Warped"

Shut up.

:party: Not my fault you aren't comfortable with yourself to step outside your terrible glam and dadrock box.

HackedUpForBBQ
07-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Would love to see Gilmour and Waters together on stage but I sincerely doubt that will happen. If this is true it sounds like it's another Waters-less album but I'd still be interested in hearing it

Travis The Dragon
07-06-2014, 03:08 PM
This should clear a few things up.

From: http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/pink-floyd-to-release-new-album-the-endless-river-in-october/
This year marks the 20th anniversary of Pink Floyd’s fourteenth and final album, Division Bell. Beyond a deluxe reissue, David Gilmour apparently plans to mark the occasion with a brand new LP entitled The Endless River, which will be released in October.

And from: http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/more-details-on-pink-floyds-new-album-no-roger-waters-no-plans-for-tour/
More details have surfaced regarding Pink Floyd’s surprise new album, The Endless River.

As previously reported, the album features unreleased music dating back to 1994, from sessions involving David Gilmour, Nick Mason, and the late Richard Wright. Thus, as one might expect, founding member Roger Waters will not be featured on the album, according to a new report from UK newspaper The Sun (via Brain-Damage). Rogers left the band following 1983′s release of The Final Cut and was not involved in these initial sessions, not Gilmour and Mason’s recent efforts to finish the material.

The Sun also reports that the band has no plans for an accompanying tour.

Steev
07-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Sooooo yeah that's what I was expecting. Waters and Gilmour don't get along and there's no incentive for them to do anything together.

TonyD
07-06-2014, 04:35 PM
http://s15.postimg.org/3o325uoyz/image.jpg

If Mike Portnoy thinks it's a cash grab... :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
07-07-2014, 01:32 AM
I like solo Gilmour so idgaf, new good music is good.

Travis The Dragon
07-07-2014, 01:11 PM
From PF's Facebook:
Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer.
Their instrumental stuff is amazing so this will be great to hear for sure.

Nausea
07-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Apparently Gilmour didn't learn his lesson from "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and wants to further tarnish the name of Pink Floyd be releasing another shitty album. :flame:

http://www.today.com/entertainment/pink-floyd-release-first-new-album-20-years-1D79887254

mankvill
07-07-2014, 02:44 PM
bruh

smearCampaign
07-07-2014, 03:15 PM
derp

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=25465

marker
07-07-2014, 03:17 PM
If Mike Portnoy thinks it's a cash grab... :lol:

Which is funny because they probably have more money than they know what to do with.
It's funny how people ripped Roger for doing The Wall tour, but the other guys toured under Pink Floyd for years without it's most important member.

Steev
07-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Which is funny because they probably have more money than they know what to do with.
It's funny how people ripped Roger for doing The Wall tour, but the other guys toured under Pink Floyd for years without it's most important member.

Both sides cashed in, no question there

but people are willing to keep dumping money into seeing them play those songs

TonyD
07-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Still no official word from the band so we'll see how it's actually marketed.

illuminatus917
07-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Apparently Gilmour didn't learn his lesson from "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and wants to further tarnish the name of Pink Floyd be releasing another shitty album. :flame:

http://www.today.com/entertainment/pink-floyd-release-first-new-album-20-years-1D79887254

I thought A Momentary Lapse of Reason was a fantastic album. Especially the C/D sides.

Onioner
07-07-2014, 09:25 PM
I thought A Momentary Lapse of Reason was a fantastic album. Especially the C/D sides.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're being some weird vinyl hipster by calling the second half of the album side C/D, which I assume would be based on the incorrect assumption that A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a double LP.

Know yer discogs sucka.

es156
07-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are both excellent.

Mike Portnoy talks too much.

illuminatus917
07-07-2014, 09:36 PM
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're being some weird vinyl hipster by calling the second half of the album side C/D, which I assume would be based on the incorrect assumption that A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a double LP.

Know yer discogs sucka.

:lol: I suppose I mean the B side, I don't remember. I mean from "On The Turning Away" through "Sorrow" is a fantastic sequence of music, whatever that is. Better than any stretch of anything on The Wall. :ass:

But, to solidify my hipster status, I actually do own the album on vinyl (which I had professionally cleaned about a year and a half ago), and I insist on listening to the album through that medium.

illuminatus917
07-07-2014, 09:39 PM

:agree:

TonyD
07-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Even for somebody who deeply appreciates Pink Floyd, those albums meander too much and lack the intensity that Watters brings. On the other hand, The Wall is on the other end of the spectrum and even though it has its moments, is a little too melodramatic for me.

SignoftheHammer
07-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Momentary Lapse was an alright album, considering it was recorded by a band that was still trying to put itself back together. Sorrow is a true PF classic.

Division Bell on the other hand, is absolutely fantastic. The atmosphere is calm, but can be dark and tense at the same time. Gilmour really nailed it on that one.

If this "new" album is half as good as Division Bell was, it's already a success.

MetalIsArt
07-08-2014, 12:24 AM

Dude you need to chill the fuck out and accept that opinions aren't facts.

Gilmour is as equal a part of Pink Floyd as Waters was.

Besides, you haven't heard one bit of Endless River yet. It's been a while that I listened to Division Bell & Lapse, but I liked what I heard.

MetalIsArt
07-08-2014, 04:30 AM

Yes, but Waters plays the same over & over again.

Steev
07-08-2014, 05:38 AM
Yes, but Waters plays the same over & over again.

Because thats what people want and will pay for

Sanitarium78
07-08-2014, 05:39 AM

Mike Portnoy talks too much.

Yep.

I can see why some might not like The Division Bell too much but how can you not like A Momentary Lapse Of Reason? The songs range from very good to great on that album. There isn't one bad spot on it from what I recall. Most importantly, it still sounded like Pink Floyd (so did The Division Bell) and they proved they could make a great album without Roger Waters. If you had someone listen to Momentary Lapse and didn't tell them that Waters wasn't in the band, they would never be able to tell. That's how good of a Pink Floyd album it is.

es156
07-08-2014, 06:17 AM
Yep.

I can see why some might not like The Division Bell too much but how can you not like A Momentary Lapse Of Reason? The songs range from very good to great on that album. There isn't one bad spot on it from what I recall. Most importantly, it still sounded like Pink Floyd (so did The Division Bell) and they proved they could make a great album without Roger Waters. If you had someone listen to Momentary Lapse and didn't tell them that Waters wasn't in the band, they would never be able to tell. That's how good of a Pink Floyd album it is.

Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are so much better than The Final Cut. Waters was an egomaniac and he thought he could make another chapter to The Wall. He fired Richard Wright. That album didn't work out too well and the band broke up. Gilmour/Mason/Wright got to keep the name of the band and Waters got to keep The Wall as part of the settlement.

Edit: By the way, if Waters was the genius of the band why are his solo albums so bad? They were obviously better as a band and nothing will approach the classic material. But the 2 post-Waters discs are much more "Floyd" than Waters solo albums.

MetalIsArt
07-08-2014, 06:22 AM
Because thats what people want and will pay for

Yeah, good for them.

It's a mighty fine album, but we get it now. And do you want to know why I'm a "Gilmour fan"? Because, and this is a fact, he's a very down to earth person.

marker
07-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah, good for them.

It's a mighty fine album, but we get it now. And do you want to know why I'm a "Gilmour fan"? Because, and this is a fact, he's a very down to earth person.

I didn't know you met David.

illuminatus917
07-08-2014, 12:05 PM

Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are so much better than The Final Cut. Waters was an egomaniac and he thought he could make another chapter to The Wall. He fired Richard Wright. That album didn't work out too well and the band broke up. Gilmour/Mason/Wright got to keep the name of the band and Waters got to keep The Wall as part of the settlement.

Edit: By the way, if Waters was the genius of the band why are his solo albums so bad? They were obviously better as a band and nothing will approach the classic material. But the 2 post-Waters discs are much more "Floyd" than Waters solo albums.

Every single fucking word of this.

Natrlhi
07-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Every single fucking word of this.

Every single fucking word of the post that he said "Every single fucking word of this" to.

smearCampaign
07-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Every single fucking word of the post that he said "Every single fucking word of this" to.

Ditto.

marker
07-08-2014, 07:05 PM
:

You look at their classic albums, Roger pretty much wrote all the lyrics and contributed more as far as songwriting altogether, and that goes for the music too. He also came up with all the concepts and probably most of the arrangements.

That's the one thing they couldn't do without Roger. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason has a shitload of outside writers. You guys are praising it like Gilmour, Wright, and Mason did it by themselves. If they didn't miss him, why get a bunch of outside help writing the bulk of the songs? Maybe you guys forgot that part. I agree Roger didn't do anything special after The Wall, but you guys forgot some important facts. I'll come back later to see what kind of a comeback you guys post.:lol:

PowerMaiden
07-08-2014, 07:07 PM
You look at their classic albums, Roger pretty much wrote all the lyrics and contributed more as far as songwriting altogether, and that goes for the music too. He also came up with all the concepts and probably most of the arrangements.

That's the one thing they couldn't do without Roger. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason has a shitload of outside writers. You guys are praising it like Gilmour, Wright, and Mason did it by themselves. If they didn't miss him, why get a bunch of outside help writing the bulk of the songs? Maybe you guys forgot that part. I agree Roger didn't do anything special after The Wall, but you guys forgot some important facts.

this

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PVH5150
07-08-2014, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't say all post-Floyd Roger is bad.

k_XLilnYcCs

es156
07-08-2014, 07:30 PM

That's the one thing they couldn't do without Roger. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason has a shitload of outside writers. You guys are praising it like Gilmour, Wright, and Mason did it by themselves. If they didn't miss him, why get a bunch of outside help writing the bulk of the songs? Maybe you guys forgot that part. I agree Roger didn't do anything special after The Wall, but you guys forgot some important facts. I'll come back later to see what kind of a comeback you guys post.:lol:

That is why I said "They were obviously better as a band and nothing will approach the classic material."

I am not downplaying the role that Waters played, especially on the later 70's albums. None of their output separately was as good as their work together. But he didn't do it alone, by any means, and I think he proved that with his solo albums. If he was the sole creator/writer, etc. and he was just carrying the team on his back, then he should have been able to continue the stellar output on his own.

And don't get me wrong, I love The Wall and I have seen Waters solo 4 times. Every show has been amazing and I would see him again given the chance. But he has only played 70's Floyd. I have only seen him play 2 of his own songs and they were definitely not the highlight of the show.

marker
07-08-2014, 11:58 PM
That is why I said "They were obviously better as a band and nothing will approach the classic material."

I am not downplaying the role that Waters played, especially on the later 70's albums. None of their output separately was as good as their work together. But he didn't do it alone, by any means, and I think he proved that with his solo albums. If he was the sole creator/writer, etc. and he was just carrying the team on his back, then he should have been able to continue the stellar output on his own.

And don't get me wrong, I love The Wall and I have seen Waters solo 4 times. Every show has been amazing and I would see him again given the chance. But he has only played 70's Floyd. I have only seen him play 2 of his own songs and they were definitely not the highlight of the show.

Many good points. I just wanted everybody to know that they needed help on that album to make it what it is. Not only with the songwriting, but I forgot to mention that they had a bunch of additional musicians play on the album as well. It was like everybody and their brother played on it. Too bad they broke up obviously.

MetalIsArt
07-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Many good points. I just wanted everybody to know that they needed help on that album to make it what it is. Not only with the songwriting, but I forgot to mention that they had a bunch of additional musicians play on the album as well. It was like everybody and their brother played on it. Too bad they broke up obviously.

I haven't met him, I've read many interviews and some comments from people who actually did met him.

And uh, I also said that Waters & Gilmour are both equally part of Floyd's past.

Wrecking Crew
07-09-2014, 08:41 AM
I don't have high hopes (ha!) for this new album but I am definitely in the pro-Gilmour camp. I think Lapse was a great album and Division Bell was OK with a few really good songs on it. I don't understand the rabidness of Waters' fans where they seem to think Pink Floyd had no right to go on without him when bands change members and keep going all the time. Waters drove Floyd into the ground with The Final Cut, there's no way they could have kept going after that.

MetalIsArt
07-09-2014, 10:22 AM
I don't have high hopes (ha!) for this new album but I am definitely in the pro-Gilmour camp. I think Lapse was a great album and Division Bell was OK with a few really good songs on it. I don't understand the rabidness of Waters' fans where they seem to think Pink Floyd had no right to go on without him when bands change members and keep going all the time. Waters drove Floyd into the ground with The Final Cut, there's no way they could have kept going after that.

And his reactions to the two albums they made without him... :eyes: