PDA

View Full Version : Rob Dukes Out of Exodus

anomynous
06-08-2014, 06:59 AM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/exodus-parts-ways-with-singer-rob-dukes/

Didn't they just get done recording an album with Dukes? I know it won't happen, and I love Hatriot, but Zetro plz.

Onioner
06-08-2014, 07:11 AM
This split is actually super weird, especially since they just did that Slayer/Suicidal tour and were working on the new album. Unless there was personal shit, I can't think of a professional reason that Dukes would want to leave Exodus or why Gary would want to fire him.

I really doubt that Zetro will come back, I don't think Gary will ever get over him bailing right before that South American tour in '04. It'll be interesting to see if they grab a well-known veteran or a young guy to sing.

I was actually a Dukes supporter for the most part. 90% of the reason that the band grew so much from '05 through '11 was because the guy was ready and willing to tour his ass off, which Zetro just couldn't do at the time.

anomynous
06-08-2014, 07:28 AM
What if Gary is ending Exodus to join Slayer officially?

Bengals279
06-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Thank god I was able to see them on the slayer tour. Would have liked to gone to a headlining show though

Dextrimental
06-08-2014, 08:04 AM
What if Gary is ending Exodus to join Slayer officially?

Then he'd just leave Exodus. This would be a very dopey, unprofessional way to end the band.

This sucks, as said, Dukes led the band to another great era in their career. Dude was always a great performer, seen them headline small venues here twice and at a festival and in all four instances Dukes had great command and gave great performances.

300%_Density
06-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Very unexpected. I still liked Rob in Exodus even though most didn't. I love Zetro but he joins again, in 3 months there will be some bullshit drama again & I'm tired of Zetro/Exodus drama.

Get a young guy. With no baggage or drama, make a killer album, tour a lot.

Bengals279
06-08-2014, 08:32 AM
So zetro is back in..... loudwire.com/exodus-part-ways-rob-dukes-welcome-steve-zetro-souza/

anomynous
06-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Fuck yes.

Not RIP Hatriot (https://www.facebook.com/hatriot/posts/891099400916148)

300%_Density
06-08-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm interested in this but hearing Zetro say in an interview he wouldn't want to go back bc he likes being the main guy in Hatriot. And then Gary saying he didn't like the media postering Zetro was doing to get back in Exodus.

I love Exodus. I just wish they went a different way. Hopefully we get a Tempo of the Damned-worthy album from them.

anomynous
06-08-2014, 09:00 AM
I wonder if Chuck Billy had anything to do with this since he's Exodus' manager now, and him and Zetro are BFFs.

This show might be a little awkward now

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10259732_779108745447594_7438061760437579288_n.jpg

mankvill
06-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Holy shit Zetro is back in Exodus!

Onioner
06-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Well fuck me, I was wrong. I'm stoked for this, but I'm also pretty sure that this ain't gonna last.

Spiner202
06-08-2014, 11:53 AM
I really doubt that Zetro will come back, I don't think Gary will ever get over him bailing right before that South American tour in '04. It'll be interesting to see if they grab a well-known veteran or a young guy to sing.

I remember someone somewhere made a very convincing argument as to why Zetro would never be back. I have no doubt he'll be out of the band again within a few years.

As for the news itself, I'm indifferent. Zetro is the better singer, but Exodus is all about Gary's amazing riffs. If Zetro gets them to cut down the albums to 40-50 minutes, they'll be a lot better off (though supposedly this was going to happen anyways).

Onioner
06-08-2014, 12:05 PM
If Zetro gets them to cut down the albums to 40-50 minutes, they'll be a lot better off (though supposedly this was going to happen anyways).

Exodus has been the Gary show since Bonded by Blood, no one's telling him to edit the songs unless Lee writes a track himself. Of course, Lee writes longasfuck songs by nature anyway, so there goes that. I do remember reading that the songs were going to be shorter somewhere, so maybe Gary just happens to be in that mode of writing.

Either way I'm stoked, Gary's is probably the most talented American thrash songwriter. Unlike nearly every other American thrash group, Gary/Exodus' track record is spotless.

anomynous
06-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Hatriot said they were continuing & Zetro would be splitting his time, but all posts were deleted about it.

Christen
06-08-2014, 01:20 PM
This sucks, I liked Rob Dukes.

ravenheart
06-08-2014, 02:00 PM
This sucks, I liked Rob Dukes.

I don't -love- either of them, to be honest. And Rob is a bit of a dick on stage. But this doesn't excite me.

MPF
06-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Well Tempo Of The Damned is my favorite Exodus so I'll happy with this as long as he doesn't quit again.

BloodoftheKings
06-08-2014, 02:37 PM
As for the news itself, I'm indifferent. Zetro is the better singer, but Exodus is all about Gary's amazing riffs. If Zetro gets them to cut down the albums to 40-50 minutes, they'll be a lot better off (though supposedly this was going to happen anyways).

This. Exodus sucks at doing 7+ minute long songs.

anomynous
06-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Yup, and this is the main reason why the Dukes albums suck.

LogicBomb
06-08-2014, 03:07 PM
I remember someone somewhere made a very convincing argument as to why Zetro would never be back. I have no doubt he'll be out of the band again within a few years.

Yeah, I would also file this under "enjoy it while it lasts." Even still, I'd probably only go see them if they did some sort of 80s albums only tour.

anomynous
06-08-2014, 03:12 PM
They fired him while he's on his honeymoon (https://www.facebook.com/rob.dukes.9?fref=ts)

Nater
06-08-2014, 03:23 PM
They fired him while he's on his honeymoon (https://www.facebook.com/rob.dukes.9?fref=ts)

For some reason I'm not shoked

ravenheart
06-08-2014, 03:34 PM

Yup, and this is the main reason why the Dukes albums suck.

Both wrong, but never mind.

anomynous
06-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Nope, definitely right.

Pretty much every Dukes era song could be cut in half and be better for it. Tempo of the Damned's longer songs weren't boring. The 7 min+ songs on the earlier Zetro albums were boring too.

Onioner
06-08-2014, 03:52 PM

That's not a fair assumption to make. Who knows when exactly he was fired, all we know is that they made the announcement today.

SignoftheHammer
06-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Not really an Exodus expert here. I know about Zetro backing out of a tour in 2004 at the last minute, but what else has he done for everyone to doubt this reunion lasting?

Onioner
06-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Not really an Exodus expert here. I know about Zetro backing out of a tour in 2004 at the last minute, but what else has he done for everyone to doubt this reunion lasting?

From what I understand, Zetro is just a tough guy to tour with. He has that kind of in-your-face always talking personality that can become grating pretty quick if you don't respond positively to that kind of thing. Apparently the guy makes unreasonable demands and can be a bit of a drama queen too. You can find a lot of this stuff online if you dig around enough. Basically it's a giant personality clash, which is the not-so-glamorous reason that 90% of touring bands depart with certain members.

It's also very possible that he's matured a bit since '04, the two or so times that I've met him, he's been super chill and cool. Gary's also cooled down a lot since even 2010, when he used to talk shit about everyone under the sun in interviews.

No doubt we'll get a really great album out of this. The big question is whether Zetro will be able to stick with touring regularly, whether he will have the stamina to perform 90 minute sets night after night and whether he and Gary will be at each other's throats or not.

anomynous
06-08-2014, 04:49 PM
That's not a fair assumption to make. Who knows when exactly he was fired, all we know is that they made the announcement today.

Maybe not, but it seems pretty sudden, and the Slayer tour didn't end that long ago. I remember him tweeting about his wedding around two weeks ago. Seems pretty fucked up to be saying about how Dukes is "the one" and then kick him out. Especially since they were basically done with the new album.

In regard to the new post, Zetro seems to be back in shape and back in tour mode, so it should be a good situation for the foreseeable future.

300%_Density
06-08-2014, 06:17 PM
I hope Zetro is in better shape.

In videos I watched from that time period Zetro moved around about as much as Maynard the last time I saw Tool. You can't be a singer for a thrash band and be concrete standing in front of a microphone.

Onioner
06-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Thee Facewebs are going bananas. Even people I know that are close to the band appear to be in total shock over this. Some are theorizing that the Exodus' management, Chuck Billy's Breaking Bands LLC, pressured the band to do this.

Honestly, I'm so stoked that Zetro's back, but I'm just really afraid to find out what happened for it to happen. Gary's probably one of the most straight-up and honest dudes in thrash, I would be genuinely bummed if he capitulated to a man in a tie over this thing.

Sepultura69
06-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Holy shit. I'm shocked. Seriously, I am. I did not expect to read or hear this at all after a long day at work. I'm shocked in a happy way because I hate Dukes vocals, and the return of Zetro basically means i give a shit about seeing Exodus live again. I mean, i've already seen Exodus a couple times with Dukes, they still put on a great show, but damn, now with Steve back in the fold it should great hearing "BLACKLIST"(and many other great tunes) LIKE THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE AND NOT HEARING THAT FATT MONKEY COVERING IT.

:rocker:

anomynous
06-09-2014, 04:55 AM
Thee Facewebs are going bananas. Even people I know that are close to the band appear to be in total shock over this. Some are theorizing that the Exodus' management, Chuck Billy's Breaking Bands LLC, pressured the band to do this..

This had to have had something to do with it. No way Chuck wasn't involved.

ravenheart
06-09-2014, 05:43 AM
Has Dukes made a comment yet?

AnthG
06-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Am I the only one that had no idea Chuck Billy managed Exodus? Is this some new development or have I just been living under a rock?

Steev
06-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Am I the only one that had no idea Chuck Billy managed Exodus? Is this some new development or have I just been living under a rock?

I didn't know, I know for awhile Mustaine managed Testament

Wrecking Crew
06-09-2014, 08:54 AM
the return of Zetro basically means i give a shit about seeing Exodus live again.

A thousand times this, I have seen Exodus three times with Dukes and it just never really clicked for me. I mostly like Exodus' 80's material and they never played any of it except for Toxic Waltz so hopefully that will change now.

anomynous
06-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Has Dukes made a comment yet?

"I'm no longer the singer of Exodus. I'm grateful for the last 9 years. I've had the experience of touring the world playing music. I was just a regular guy, a fan, and I got the chance to front a legendary band while having no prior experience of being a singer. I had no idea what I was doing and made it up as I was going along. It was a great chapter of my life, Im bummed it ended with them, but I have another band Generation Kill. So I will concentrate on that right now and continue to build hotrods and build a car to race in the Baja 1000. I will be riding my motorcycle all over this beautiful country every chance I get, That's the next chapter of my life. "

Rob Dukes

As the newest Exodus press release says it was mutual. Right.

Gary Holt on the Exodus forums:

Yes it is all true what you have heard. Rob is no longer the singer for Exodus and Zetro has returned. This was the most difficult decision of our lives, one the entire band made, this was not a majority rule situation, that would not have worked, we all had to agree and we all did, no pressure, everyone had to be on the same page. This band has all the love for Rob you could ever have for someone, this was not easy. The details we will never bother going into, I only ask for people to be respectful both ways, for Rob and for Zetro. The lines of communication with the band and Steve are the strongest they've ever been, all things have been discussed, the past, present and future going forward . I have had the honor of watching Rob go from unknown guitar tech to awesome singer and frontman and could not be prouder, and his future is bright as fuck, that's for sure. It doesn't end here, the world will see plenty more from rob, this much I will bank on. But as for the new record, it is still in full swing, Steve will start vocals on Wednesday and the small sampling I have of him on the new songs is fucking amazing. His best shit ever is coming, be prepared, it's going to kill. But I am well aware that as the so called face of the band it is I who will be blamed, the guy who masterminded it all, yada yada yada, but this was a choice made by all, and the most fucked upon things is doing this, it wasn't easy, none of us have ever been good at this shit despite all the lineup changes over the years. Rob's contributions are some of the best stuff this band has ever did, a big part of this bands return, and we our grateful.

Bengals279
06-09-2014, 05:07 PM
I don't get all the dukes hate. I thought he was good live and I enjoyed the albums he sang on. What do people not like about him?

MPF
06-09-2014, 05:11 PM
I have no problem with Duke. When I saw Exodus last year, he was great with Exodus. My guess is that people don't like many of the albums after Tempo Of The Damned for what ever reasons they have, and blame it on him.

anomynous
06-09-2014, 05:18 PM
I don't get all the dukes hate. I thought he was good live and I enjoyed the albums he sang on. What do people not like about him?

His tough guy redneck persona.

Dextrimental
06-09-2014, 05:19 PM
I have no problem with Duke. When I saw Exodus last year, he was great with Exodus. My guess is that people don't like many of the albums after Tempo Of The Damned for what ever reasons they have, and blame it on him.

Dude made crass jokes, but his end of Exodus always seemed super tight. I mean he told security to fuck off when they played Dublin last because they were mis-treating fans who were crowd-surfing. Got banned from the venue but he didn't give a shit.

Something tells me he'll probably be a bit more financially secure now though, no way were Exodus making much on the road these days. At least if there is bad blood, the guys aren't doing it in public, they're just getting on with that. I respect that in an older band.

Steev
06-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Dude made crass jokes, but his end of Exodus always seemed super tight. I mean he told security to fuck off when they played Dublin last because they were mis-treating fans who were crowd-surfing. Got banned from the venue but he didn't give a shit.

Something tells me he'll probably be a bit more financially secure now though, no way were Exodus making much on the road these days. At least if there is bad blood, the guys aren't doing it in public, they're just getting on with that. I respect that in an older band.

Which didn't happen so much 10 years ago. I don't know what sparked the change but it'll be interesting to see what tours they do for this next record.

ravenheart
06-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Honestly, Dukes doesn't really seem to care. His Facebook page is full of Stanley Cup and Rik Mayall comments.

Steev
06-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Honestly, Dukes doesn't really seem to care. His Facebook page is full of Stanley Cup and Rik Mayall comments.

He posted about it, basically just thanked them and said he'd be focusing on Generation Kill. I feel like with some of these bands they're occupied with so many things that leaving just doesn't bother them like it would have before.

anomynous
07-09-2014, 06:29 PM
New album "Zetro In, Dukes Out" due in Oct.
(http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/exodus-to-release-blood-in-blood-out-album-in-october/)

Epidemic Reign
07-10-2014, 07:20 PM
His tough guy redneck persona.

Plus his shitty vocals. Rough combination.

Welcome back, Zetro :party:

300%_Density
09-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Adding to the thread.

Salt The Wound w/ Kirk (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/audio-premiere-exodus-new-song-salt-the-wound-featuring-metallicas-kirk-hammett/)

Yep. I really like this. Very excited now.

anomynous
09-09-2014, 12:41 PM
So much better than Exodukes.

El Gordo
09-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Sounds pretty good. Zetro just sounds right in that band.

MPF
09-09-2014, 06:05 PM
I dig this a lot.

Steev
09-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Gonna go on a limb and say Kirk's best solo in 20 years

treghet
09-10-2014, 02:52 AM
Gonna go on a limb and say Kirk's best solo in 20 years

And yet still boring as hell.

ravenheart
09-10-2014, 05:05 AM