PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Music Videos Thread

adamclark52
05-30-2014, 09:04 PM
I've been meaning to start this thread for a while.

Music Videos are a dying/dead medium. But from the early 1980's through to the mid-2000's they were a very important part of a bands career. Yes, they are essentially a three minute commercial for an album in most cases. But for artists that take their craft serious they're another outlet to express their work and vision. I grew up watching music videos in the 1990s. And I still have fond memories of a lot of those videos. And even now I'm finding ones that I missed that capture my attention.

So post links to some of your favorite videos to share.

adamclark52
05-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Nine Inch Nails - Gave Up

This video is just...wow. It's from the Broken home video that's been banned since it's release and is pretty impossible to find. Even today. What scares me most about this video is how real it is. This could be happening anywhere.

And it's an awesome song.

NSFW.

watch?v=x958q6uq1P0

adamclark52
05-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Nine Inch Nails - Gave Up

The "PG Version" of the video is just as good. Instead of the imagery of the other video it's a simple performance video of the band. But something about it just seems uneasy to me too. Something about it is just as creepy as the other video, just obviously not as graphic. It probably was recorded at the Tate house but I'm not sure.

Look out for Marilyn Manson playing guitar. And it's a different mix of the song, which is cool.

watch?v=yVpw1SwJRBI

adamclark52
05-30-2014, 09:15 PM
KMFDM - Megalomanic

I'm not a very big fan of this band, only because I missed out and would have to play catch-up on thirty years and twenty albums of material. And I just don't have that in me any more. But I love this video. Even if it's a bit cheesy now thanks to the 1997 CGI it has a great ebb and flow and some great shots. I don't know what ties it all together (cheerleaders, a nurse suffocating a guy, some girl on headphones smiling, security camera footage) but it works!

watch?v=fvZqWq0ZNjk

JRA
05-30-2014, 10:00 PM
"Hey John [Mellencamp], remember all those dumbass videos we had to make in the 80s? You know where all that money went? VH1 PRESENTS: BEHIND THE MUSIC THAT SUCKS!"

-Billy Joel

adamclark52
05-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Malhavoc - Naked

I strongly doubt anyone outside of the Toronto/Ontario area ever saw this video. It came out in 1994 and got very limited airplay on Muchmusic (Canada's MTV) back then. But it fried my nuts. I still watch this video in awe. It's a parody/more of a "pay homage" to a lot of the popular bands of that era. Maybe not popular bands; but bands that had a very distinct image.

I can see obvious references to Nine Inch Nails, L7, Lenny Kravitz, KMFDM, Biohazard, the Black Crowes and Nirvana's In Bloom video. There are a couple others in there too that I can't pick out. All the homages are performed by Toronto area artists of the time (1994) but I have no idea who any of them are; except Malhavoc.

Oh, and the song fucking rules!

watch?v=jdbnI9zlej8

It took me twenty years to get around to buying this album. It actually wasn't that bad at all.

John The Drummer
05-31-2014, 08:12 PM
Because its SO bad....

watch?v=yB_zl2C23jI

John The Drummer
05-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Actually this... because its almost, if not worse, as bad....

watch?v=pBpp7rIMNh8

adamclark52
05-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Wow, John.. Those are both pretty terrible. I think the first is worst (hey, I'm a poet and didn't know it) just because it looked like it was trying to have a story and everything. The second just being a cheap performance video was bad, but nothing too bad. The second song was probably worse though. They're a terrible band though. They must be from Washington. On the bright side; she has a great rack.

But way to find some videos that looked cheaper than that Nine Inch Nails snuff film.

John The Drummer
05-31-2014, 08:54 PM
They're a terrible band though. They must be from Washington. .

:lol: !!!! I think they're from Brazil

dcmetal108
05-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Any KISS video from their Unmasked era.

300%_Density
05-31-2014, 09:21 PM
My Favorite (http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xgzta_rammstein-links-2-3-4_music)

Rammstein - Links 2 3 4

Give me soccer playing ants & then a bunch of ants dancing at club to a Rammstein record that's being spun by a DJ ant and you have my undivided attention. My favorite video ever.

HandOfDoom
05-31-2014, 09:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1gb50iobU

I dont usually like music videos but that caught my eye.

adamclark52
05-31-2014, 09:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1gb50iobU

I dont usually like music videos but that caught my eye.

You know what that video needs? I know a lot of people hate him, but Jack Black playing the lead. That video was METAL and Jack Black would've fit perfectly. Not the goof-ball, spaghetti in the nose Jack Black but the serious, METAL Jack Black.

John The Drummer
05-31-2014, 10:05 PM
watch?v=rMy0KPz8Vvo

This was always a fun video

adamclark52
05-31-2014, 10:12 PM
Salem - Asia

Salem are a band that get a lot of hate and a lot of it is due. They do seem like three complete losers. But their music is so intense and their video for this song is even MORE intense. This is pretty much the perfect video for the song. Two totally different entities meeting so well. It's another lost security camera, snuff film like video (which I've posted two of and is probably changing everyones already low opinion of me), but I can't take my eyes off of it. This and the Nine Inch Nails video probably give you a good idea of what kind of style of cinema I'm into. Not nessessarily creepy or even scary. Just like..."what the fuck?"

watch?v=27pRb5gtb6w

DisposableJustice
05-31-2014, 10:13 PM
Slipknot- Left Behind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1jQKpse7Yw

Back in my high school days, Iowa hit me like a ton of bricks and this video started it all. The song itself is badass but the video, at least to me in 2002 was dark, gritty and heavy as hell. Plus it has an actual goat in it so that scores a few points

(on a off note, can someone explain to me how to embed youtube videos on to a post?:confused:)

adamclark52
05-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Slipknot- Left Behind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1jQKpse7Yw

Back in my high school days, Iowa hit me like a ton of bricks and this video started it all. The song itself is badass but the video, at least to me in 2002 was dark, gritty and heavy as hell. Plus it has an actual goat in it so that scores a few points

(on a off note, can someone explain to me how to embed youtube videos on to a post?:confused:)

put [] and then [], with youtube and /youtube in them respectivly and then this portion of me url or website address ("watch?v=D1jQKpse7Yw" in the case of your video) in between it. It was hard for me to get that to type out. But it's the same as images and quotes just with "youtube" in the place of "url" or "QUOTE" inside the square brackets. I type it out each time, I don't think there's a shortcut button.

watch?v=D1jQKpse7Yw

mankvill
05-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Salem - Asia

Salem are a band that get a lot of hate and a lot of it is due. They do seem like three complete losers. But their music is so intense and their video for this song is even MORE intense. This is pretty much the perfect video for the song. Two totally different entities meeting so well. It's another lost security camera, snuff film like video (which I've posted two of and is probably changing everyones already low opinion of me), but I can't take my eyes off of it. This and the Nine Inch Nails video probably give you a good idea of what kind of style of cinema I'm into. Not nessessarily creepy or even scary. Just like..."what the fuck?"

watch?v=27pRb5gtb6w

88zQ_sf6BMg

marker
06-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Any KISS video from their Unmasked era.

I thought Twatty was going to put up 'Let's Put The X In Sex', but obviously he didn't put it up yet. He told me that it is his favorite Kiss video and song.

AnthG
06-01-2014, 02:14 PM
I still love the shit out of this video. Fuck all of you

watch?v=jRGrNDV2mKc

Epidemic Reign
06-01-2014, 03:26 PM
watch?v=rH6b_lSQst0

adamclark52
06-01-2014, 07:40 PM
88zQ_sf6BMg

That's terrible all right. Like I said, that band has three of the biggest losers in the history of time in it. They're a walking anti-drug PSA. And for as bad as their live performances and interviews are...their album was awesome. I'm trying to find the interview clip of them a few years ago that was making the rounds (probably the worst interview ever recorded) but it's M.I.A.

adamclark52
06-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Sleep - Dragonaut

This video is epic beyond epic for it's pure simplicity. The first time I ever saw it was really late at night and I was just about to pass out. Then it came on and I was like, "how long is this shot of the bass player going to go on for?" (it's really only about thirty seconds, but that's an eternity when you're half asleep). The lo-fi grainyness of this video was awesome compared to all the other videos of the day (even the metal videos) that I watched. Granted, I saw this video in 1996 (?) before I had the internet and could youtube all those other lo-fi European music videos. But at the time I'd never seen anything that looked quite like this. The long shots are so awesome too.

And the song rules so much.

watch?v=2-FjO3E8K-E

adamclark52
06-01-2014, 07:51 PM
watch?v=rH6b_lSQst0

That guy did a great job of making sure he wasn't a star after Back to the Future.

HackedUpForBBQ
06-03-2014, 01:34 PM
This is one of my favorite videos because it shows how the 80s even got to Tom Warrior, or should I say Tommy Gabriel? Cold Lake has to be the be all, end all of sell out albums, and this is coming from a big Celtic Frost fan! I still can't figure out why Tom thought it would be a good idea to do something like that, but alas IT HAPPENED. I can only image the shock and confusion people felt when they first saw the video for Cherry Orchards expecting another batch of Satan, only to see images of teased hair and Marilyn Monroe. We still love you Tom.....

watch?v=bI74tyUefY4

Cold Lake also contained one of the best band photos of all time. Why so much male bush overflow, broseph? And pointed straight at Tom..... Christ almighty! No one would have foreseen this imagery in the days of Morbid Tales and Emperor's Return....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/SkullBowl/coldlake.jpg

HandOfDoom
06-03-2014, 03:16 PM
You know what that video needs? I know a lot of people hate him, but Jack Black playing the lead. That video was METAL and Jack Black would've fit perfectly. Not the goof-ball, spaghetti in the nose Jack Black but the serious, METAL Jack Black.

Lol that would be something to see for sure xD

Also, any of Tools videos, totally captivate me.

adamclark52
06-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Whale - Hono Humpin' Slobo Babe

This is another video that came out in 1994 that I LOVE. Unlike Malhavoc though, I never got around to buying the album. For one it was impossible to find even in 1994. And secondly, I don't think the rest of Whale's music was like this. I think they did a lot of trip-hop stuff and I don't really like that kind of music.

The song is fantastic, the two guys are hilarious and intense at the same time. But what really draws me to the video is the girl. I don't find her all that attractive but there's something about her that's just...:drool:. Maybe it's the voice, maybe it's the braces or maybe it's that one shot where she waves with her right hand and blinks with her one eye in unison with it. It's probably the lollipop.

watch?v=2up7su7CeMU

adamclark52
06-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Melvins - With Teeth

Of the hundreds and hundreds of Melvins songs this is my favorite. So it figures they actually have a music video for it. It's a perfect video for the Melvins. Chaotic, twisted, lo-fi and somewhat broken. It's too bad the song ends very early. It almost seems like the Melvins (being the Melvins) only recorded half the song and figured that was enough.

watch?v=bs2m6cS0sTA

adamclark52
06-15-2014, 12:02 PM
This is one of my favorite videos because it shows how the 80s even got to Tom Warrior, or should I say Tommy Gabriel? Cold Lake has to be the be all, end all of sell out albums, and this is coming from a big Celtic Frost fan! I still can't figure out why Tom thought it would be a good idea to do something like that, but alas IT HAPPENED. I can only image the shock and confusion people felt when they first saw the video for Cherry Orchards expecting another batch of Satan, only to see images of teased hair and Marilyn Monroe. We still love you Tom.....

watch?v=bI74tyUefY4

Cold Lake also contained one of the best band photos of all time. Why so much male bush overflow, broseph? And pointed straight at Tom..... Christ almighty! No one would have foreseen this imagery in the days of Morbid Tales and Emperor's Return....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/SkullBowl/coldlake.jpg

I actually like that song and video but I can't bring myself to listen to the rest of the album.

And the picture deserves to be mocked in so many ways. I can think of so many jokes, comments, innuendos, etc. So I'll just leave it and let the picture speak for itself.

Natrlhi
06-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm just gonna leave this right here:

a1qlKklTgGg

Awesome song, awesome video. Their video for War Metal Battle Master (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl7SonqCNzI) is also quite tasty.

EDIT: Both videos are NSFW.