PDA

View Full Version : Faith No More working on a new album?

adamclark52
05-30-2014, 04:37 PM
[source: Metalsucks specuation] (http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/05/30/faith-working-new-album/)

Hmm. Faith No More are one of my favorite bands of all-time. I was sad to see them go but glad that they ended on a really high note. They never released a bad album. When they got back together in (what was it?) 2009 I felt a little sick to my stomach because I thought they had more class then bands like Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins and all the other 1990's that were getting back together for the almighty dollar. I like those bands but I thought it was...sad...that Faith No More was reducing themselves to that. But, it was the Faith No More thing to at least avoid North America for the most part and be a lot more quite about their reunion and let it fade away very quietly. But here we are. Are they working on a new album? Is it just a troll by Mike Patton (who's been trolling since before trolling was a thing)?

How do the Faith No More fans here feel about it?

I agree with everything the Metalsucks writers said (and now I have to have a shower). I'd rather they ended with Album of the Year and have the reunion shows be a simple asterix in their history then have them release anything less than incredible. Mike Patton has some good music in him. But he's put out a lot since the break-up that really wasn't too great either (I spent seven years waiting for Peeping Tom and really wasn't to impressed). The other guys...I have no idea what they could have in them. Do they have a Black Gives Way to Blue in them? Or a Zeigerhiest (whatever the Smashing Pumpkins album was called)? No, I'd sooner they didn't do anything. But I can't stop them.

detuned
05-30-2014, 04:59 PM
my favorite band of all time, so im all for a new album. they were always way more creative and consistent than most of their peers, and patton's track record since their breakup, as far as actual music goes, is generally pretty top notch as well. (not counting the overtly experimental/art/noise stuff or holding it against him)

FNM's reunion may have been money motivated, but they went up there and killed pretty much every broadcast i was able to see. most importantly they seemed to be enjoying themselves tremendously, mike especially, who would be the one you would expect to phone it in out of all of them.

Sanitarium78
05-31-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm all for as new album, hopefully they do a proper tour in North America for it. I'm still upset they didn't tour here for the reunion. That was one of the biggest loads of bullshit ever. There was no good reason as to why they couldn't have toured here. They were being stuck up assholes and you can't convince me otherwise. As for the quality of a new release, I don't think they would be a band that would release a stinker after all these years. I'm positive they would hit it out of the park like they always have.

adamclark52
05-31-2014, 03:39 PM
I think their reasoning for not doing much in North America was because North America pretty much bailed on them after King For a Day...where Europe still loved them and they were still huge, even up until their breakup. So it was a "fuck you" to North America (which was rightfully due) and it was also the Faith No More thing to do. They weren't the band that played by the book. Which is another reason that the reunion didn't feel right to me.

velvetgrass
05-31-2014, 04:04 PM
I think their reasoning for not doing much in North America was because North America pretty much bailed on them after King For a Day...where Europe still loved them and they were still huge, even up until their breakup. So it was a "fuck you" to North America (which was rightfully due) and it was also the Faith No More thing to do. They weren't the band that played by the book. Which is another reason that the reunion didn't feel right to me.

I respect bands that live by their own merits, but to not tour most of the U.S. because the "mainstream audience" lost interest in Faith No More after King For A Day is wrong in my opinion. They might not be able to play as big of venues here, but they still have a dedicated fanbase in America albeit smaller. I am only 21 years old and really want to see them live. I waited for a Chicago or Milwaukee show announcement for the reunion tour that never came. If they put out new music within the next few years, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they come to Wisconsin or Illinois.

adamclark52
05-31-2014, 04:10 PM
What can I say, they're a bunch of pricks and they know it. Not doing North America was a dick move...But they're dicks.

detuned
06-01-2014, 04:57 AM
its ridiculous to honestly think they didnt do a US tour out out spite

cant find the exact quote, but i remember billy saying it was because there wasnt much interest from promoters

read: wasnt much interest to pay what the band wanted

call them greedy or dicks or whatever, but i cant say i really blame them. for them to go from these handful of weeks international festival runs, playing to their biggest audiences ever, making shittons of money, probably getting flown to and from, put up in the best hotels, and all around being treated like kings...

to doing a "proper" tour of one of their lesser markets, living for a month or two in a bus, spending a large amount of that time driving for hours on end, playing to a small fraction of the people, for a small fraction of the money, for what? an imaginary obligation because they happen to reside in this country? typical the-world-revolves-around-america thinking. besides, that lifestyle can be a drag, especially for a bunch of dudes in their 50s that surely have much different lives now. why jump back into that shit if one doesnt have to.

its not like the band was doing these extensive headline tours in all these other countries. i know its easy to look at a month long european tour and think "what the fuck?" but lets not forget europe is a CONTINENT. a densely populated one at that, with a relative ease of travel between all the different countries. they can go over there for a month or less, play to the maximum amount of people, for the maximum amount of money, with a good amount of comfort. (i can only assume this is the same reason why a band like neurosis, who notoriously "doesnt tour" still does euro tours)

not to mention, with festivals, all they really have to do is show up and play a good set. the responsibility isnt on their shoulders like it would be with their own tours. a lot of those fests, the masses are going to go regardless, and as we know, some fests even sell out before a single band gets announced.

if you actually look at the dates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Coming_Tour), most of the countries got 1, maybe 2 or 3 shows over the course of all the legs. the ones that got the most were australia with 5, the UK with 7, and the US with NINE. did those shows proportionately serve the same amount of people to the size of the country as other shows did? of course not, but they did give a lot of people a chance to see them, so to think they said "fuck you" to us is silly.

that said, i do think they could have spread the shows out a little more, or at the very least announced them all at once. im sure there were east coasters who went broke to get out to those san fran shows, only to have the brooklyn and philly shows announced shortly after.

and even though it was only 4 years ago, the US festival landscape has radically changed since then. if they were doing the reunion now, they probably could have hit up every single major festival over the summer.

whether it was part of the plan all along or not, i lean to metalsucks' side (http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/06/18/faith-no-more-are-smart-to-keep-avoiding-the-u-s/) of thinking that it was smart not to do full out US tour right away
So though it might seem crazy, FNM just aren’t as big in the U.S. as they are abroad. The two Brooklyn shows they headlined in 2010 were huge (not Download Festival huge, but still pretty big), but only because of the massive reunion hype. If they were to have followed their 2010 shows with a full U.S. tour they’d have been lucky to sell out large theaters (2,000-4,000 cap), and if they were to do so again in the following months or year they’d have been lucky to sell out small theaters with the novelty of the reunion having worn off. Instead, Faith No More are staying out of the U.S. entirely to make sure that when they do finally come back their value will be high, people will be extremely excited, and it will be an EVENT.

Most bands are content to ride the reunion wave and sink their show value into the ground. By staying out of their home market, Faith No More are making sure they can pay their bills playing just a handful of shows per year well into the future. And they’re keeping their credibility high at the same time by making themselves seem elusive. Smart.
especially now that it seems that they are going beyond just a reunion and that we may actually get a new album. as sucks said, if they had done a US tour back then, when they went and did another one, it just wouldnt have the same excitement, even if it had a new album along with it. now with demand built over 4 years, finally doing a US tour in conjunction with a new album should create maximum excitement and awareness of said album.

holy fucking tangent

300%_Density
06-01-2014, 05:43 AM
I wouldn't have been real old (8-9 ish) when their popularity was at it's highest. What kinda venues were they doing then for headline gigs? I know they were big in the 90s but I don't really envision them ever doing huge numbers in NA.

Coma323
06-01-2014, 06:14 AM
I wouldn't have been real old (8-9 ish) when their popularity was at it's highest. What kinda venues were they doing then for headline gigs? I know they were big in the 90s but I don't really envision them ever doing huge numbers in NA.

Looks like their last US tour was small clubs.

The Rage, Vancouver, BC, Canada on October 10, 1997
La Luna, Portland, OR, USA on October 8, 1997
The Warfield, San Francisco, CA, USA on October 6, 1997
Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, AZ, USA on October 4, 1997
Saint Andrew's Hall, Detroit, MI, USA on September 24, 1997
Agora, Cleveland, OH, USA on September 23, 1997
Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA, USA on September 20, 1997
Roseland Ballroom, New York, NY, USA on September 19, 1997
The Strand, Providence, RI, USA on September 18, 1997
9:30 Club, Washington, DC, USA on September 16, 1997
GTE Amphitheatre, Virginia Beach, VA, USA on September 14, 1997
Blockbuster Pavilion, Charlotte, NC, USA on September 13, 1997
The Masquerade, Atlanta, GA, USA on September 12, 1997
Bogart's, Cincinnati, OH, USA on September 11, 1997
Mississippi Nights, St. Louis, MO, USA on September 9, 1997
New World Music Theatre, Tinley Park, IL, USA on September 6, 1997

detuned
06-01-2014, 07:08 AM
looks like even after the success of epic, opening for billy idol in sheds during said epic success, and then the GNR/metallica stadium tour circa angel dust, they still were playing theaters

http://www.anaussiemusicfan.com/fnm/

Beginning of Faith No More tour with Helmet supporting

September 1992
Wed 16 Peony Park Ballroom Omaha NE, USA
Fri 18 American Theatre St. Louis MO, USA
Sat 19 The Aragon Ballroom Chicago IL, USA
Sun 20 Duke Ellington Ballroom Dekalb IL, USA
Mon 21 Western Illinois University Macomb IL, USA
Tue 22 Col Ballroom Davenport VA, USA
Wed 23 Newport Music Hall Columbus OH, USA
Thu 24 State Theatre Detroit MI, USA
Sat 26 ???? Marquette MI, USA
Sun 27 Club Eastbrook (Orbit Room) Grand Rapids MI, USA
Mon 28 Agora Theatre Cleveland OH, USA
Tue 29 Metropol Pittsburgh PA, USA

October 1992
Thu 01 UUAB Buffalo NY, USA
Fri 02 University of Connecticut, Gampel Pavillion Mansfield CT, USA
Sat 03 Worcester Memorial Auditorium Worcester MA, USA
Sun 04 Palace Theater Albany NY, USA
Mon 05 Erv's BYOB Club Allentown PA, USA
Wed 07 City Gardens Trenton NJ, USA
Thu 08 Burress Auditorium, Virginia Tech Blacksburg VA, USA
Fri 09 Roselands Ballroom New York City NY, USA
Sat 10 Roselands Ballroom New York City NY, USA
Mon 12 Michael's Eighth Avenue Glen Burnie MD, USA
Tue 13 Wilkes Barre PA, USA
Thu 15 The Boathouse Norfolk VA, USA
Sat 17 Tower Theater Upper Darby PA, USA
Tue 20 Pete Mathews Coliseum Jacksonville AL, USA
Wed 21 Legion Field Athens GA, USA
Fri 23 Orlando FL, USA
Sat 24 Ft. Lauderdale FL, USA
Sun 25 Miami Beach FL, USA

January 1993
Fri 15 Paramount Theater Seattle WA, USA
Sat 16 Roseland Theater Portland OR, USA
Sun 17 EMU Ballroom Eugene OR, USA
Mon 18 Freeborn Hall, University of Davis Davis CA, USA
Wed 20 Warfield Theatre San Francisco CA, USA
Fri 22 Palladium, Hollywood Los Angeles CA, USA
Tue 26 Huntridge Theater Portland OR, USA
Wed 27 Club Rio Tempe AZ, USA
Fri 29 The Unicorn

dcmetal108
06-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Looks like their last US tour was small clubs.

The Rage, Vancouver, BC, Canada on October 10, 1997
La Luna, Portland, OR, USA on October 8, 1997
The Warfield, San Francisco, CA, USA on October 6, 1997
Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, AZ, USA on October 4, 1997
Saint Andrew's Hall, Detroit, MI, USA on September 24, 1997
Agora, Cleveland, OH, USA on September 23, 1997
Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA, USA on September 20, 1997
Roseland Ballroom, New York, NY, USA on September 19, 1997
The Strand, Providence, RI, USA on September 18, 1997
9:30 Club, Washington, DC, USA on September 16, 1997
GTE Amphitheatre, Virginia Beach, VA, USA on September 14, 1997
Blockbuster Pavilion, Charlotte, NC, USA on September 13, 1997
The Masquerade, Atlanta, GA, USA on September 12, 1997
Bogart's, Cincinnati, OH, USA on September 11, 1997
Mississippi Nights, St. Louis, MO, USA on September 9, 1997
New World Music Theatre, Tinley Park, IL, USA on September 6, 1997

That's not a small club, thats a huge outdoor amplitheater

detuned
06-01-2014, 08:15 AM
because it was a festival called rockstock. google tells me the lineup consisted of Veruca Salt, Megadeth, Faith No More, Silverchair, Local H, Seven Mary Three, Helmet, Cracker, the Nixons and Joan Jett

the virginia show was a festival too, lunatic luau, FNM, Seven Mary Three, The Nixons, Corrosion of Conformity, Our Lady Peace, The Hunger, Jimmie’s Chicken Shack, and Drain sth

locobazooka is missing from that list too, limp bizkit, godsmack when they were still local, and shitton of no names played

John The Drummer
06-02-2014, 08:38 AM
I'd love a new album! And a tour!

Steev
06-02-2014, 08:46 AM
They did an outdoor ampitheater in Philly in 2010 that had a solid turnout

anomynous
07-04-2014, 09:52 AM
FNM debuted two new songs at Hyde Park today

ravenheart
07-04-2014, 03:10 PM
FNM debuted two new songs at Hyde Park today

Well, one. The other had literally one lyric (not sung by Patton). I wouldn't consider it a song.