PDA

View Full Version : Shadows Fall Summer Tour

PVH5150
05-20-2014, 04:15 PM
With Special Guest Dead By Wednesday

June
18 – Brooklyn, NY – Knitting Factory (No DBW)
19 – Amityville, NY – Revolution (No DBW)
20 – Chicopee, MA – Maximum Capacity
21 – Waterbury, CT – City Limits
22 – Providence, RI – Simon's 677
24 – Winston Salem, NC – Ziggy’s
25 – Raleigh, NC – Southland Ballroom
26 – Augusta, GA – Sky City
27 – Knoxville, TN – The International
28 – St. Louis, MO – Fubar
29 – Louisville, KY – Diamond Pub
30 – Madison, WI – High Noon Saloon

July
1 – Lansing, MI – The Loft
2 – Joliet, IL – Mojoes
3 – Kokomo, IN – Center Stage
4 – Columbus, OH – Alrosa Villa
5 – Buffalo, NY – Broadway Joe’s
6 – Binghamton, NY – Legion Post 80

MPF
05-20-2014, 04:21 PM
That is so damn depressing.

detuned
05-20-2014, 05:16 PM
not even breaking up and reuniting would make anyone truly care about these guys again

Nater
05-20-2014, 05:28 PM
If it wasn't a haul to mass for me I would prolly go to that show.

dredg822
05-20-2014, 06:24 PM
If it wasn't a haul to mass for me I would prolly go to that show.

Yeah, thats just a little bit too far.

Sanitarium78
05-20-2014, 08:10 PM
I like every album Shadows Fall has released but man their popularity has fallen hard. The venue they're playing here only fits about 200 people. I'll be going since I haven't them live in a few years and the tickets are probably cheap.

mastodon421
05-20-2014, 08:14 PM
That is so damn depressing.

This.

justinm4bama
05-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Damn. The few venues they're hitting up here in the SE I've never even heard of them that's how small they are.

anomynous
05-20-2014, 08:38 PM
They were still decently popular a few years ago. What happened?

Sanitarium78
05-20-2014, 09:02 PM

Their last two albums weren't released on a major label. That's hurt them when it comes to marketing the band.

dcmetal108
05-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Yeah they venue they are playing at here is like 500 people or so. It won't be half full I expect.

AnthG
05-21-2014, 06:22 AM
Their last two albums weren't released on a major label. That's hurt them when it comes to marketing the band.

Their last album was with Razor and Tie, which is hardly a small label.

moobys37
05-21-2014, 06:58 AM

They got signed to a major label and released a record that didn't perform to expectations. Not touring didn't help much either.

detuned
05-21-2014, 07:16 AM
didnt perform to expectations because century media bought their way into billboard

also doesnt help they are one of the more completely unremarkable NWOAHM bands

AnthG
05-21-2014, 07:57 AM
didnt perform to expectations because century media bought their way into billboard

Wait, what exactly happened? I know that statement should be self explanatory but this is the first i'm hearing about this.

detuned
05-21-2014, 08:25 AM
century media physically buying thousands of copies to debut high

been so long that i cant even remember where i heard that or if there is even any validity, but fuck it, who cares

what i do know though is for the war within CD release show at the axis in boston, a copy of the CD was bundled into every ticket, which they probably were able to count to first week sales. so i suppose you could use that as proof of CM not being above boosting first week sales.

AnthG
05-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Their debut weeks on Billboard 200 according to Wikipedia (Didn't debut on Billboard before War Within):

War Within: 20
Threads of Life: 46
Retribution: 35
Fire From The Sky: 38

I know chart positions mean nothing when the number of copies sold isn't included, but that drop off from 20 to 46 is telling when you consider that their popularity when Threads of Life came out was roughly the same as when War Within came out.

detuned
05-21-2014, 09:04 AM
2004 - war within - 39,251 - #20 (century media)
2007 - threads of life - 24,000 - #46 (atlantic)
2009 - retribution - 13,000 - #35 (everblack/ferret)
2012 - fire from the sky - 10,000 - #38 (razor and tie)

of course that follows the general record sales decline trajectory, but i can see room to argue that that isnt the only reason

anomynous
05-21-2014, 09:05 AM

been so long that i cant even remember where i heard that or if there is even any validity, but fuck it, who cares

what i do know though is for the war within CD release show at the axis in boston, a copy of the CD was bundled into every ticket, which they probably were able to count to first week sales. so i suppose you could use that as proof of CM not being above boosting first week sales.

This seems to be fairly standard

detuned
05-21-2014, 09:07 AM
only time its ever happened to me. also tickets were like $10.

dcmetal108
05-21-2014, 09:27 AM

This is EXTREMELY common now.

Sanitarium78
05-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Their last album was with Razor and Tie, which is hardly a small label.

Never heard of that label, who else is on it? I thought the last album came out on their own label like Retribution did.

moobys37
05-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Never heard of that label, who else is on it?.

Kidz Bop

anomynous
05-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Never heard of that label, who else is on it? I thought the last album came out on their own label like Retribution did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_%26_Tie

adamclark52
05-21-2014, 11:36 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_%26_Tie

The Wiggles and Attila...funny thing; I've seen the Wiggles.

Derelict
05-21-2014, 11:54 AM
I saw Lamb of god, Killswitch, and shadows fall do a triple headlining tour sometime back in college (i think 2001), its funny looking at the divergent paths since.

mattlion
05-22-2014, 07:52 PM
I had a long conversation with Matt Barchand at a Fear Factory/Shadows Fall show a couple years back in NH. I told him I kinda thought the major label thing was a big detriment to their career. He disagreed, but I dunno.... maybe it was the wrong label? It's not like Threads of Life was terrible or out of character.

Part of the problem is they were probably peaking creatively with Art of Balance and War Within. Part of War Within's strong sales were because people were getting into Art of Balance a bit later, and they were on Headbangers Ball every weekend, and they were on some pretty big tours. Those 2 records, IMHO, are the best metal/metalcore/whatever records to come out of the Mass scene.

It is weird though that Lamb of God did fine doing the major label thing - Ashes of the Wake was a 2004 major label release, and they're more popular now than they were then. There was a time LoG and SF were contemporaries..... seems ancient at this point.

DementedX14
05-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Metalcore is dead unless your LoG or Killswitch most of these bands should call it a day.

Nater
05-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Metalcore is dead unless your LoG or Killswitch most of these bands should call it a day.

God Forbid did haha. ATR just said fuck that and now plays the Hard Radio Rock game and Diecast? lulz. They are just there too somehow they have a new album dropping

dcmetal108
05-22-2014, 10:08 PM

LOG is metalcore?

Steev
05-23-2014, 05:46 AM
God Forbid did haha. ATR just said fuck that and now plays the Hard Radio Rock game and Diecast? lulz. They are just there too somehow they have a new album dropping

They're doing a show near me this weekend

I still remember last year seeing a show with Shads and GF in Trenton, NJ that barely had a crowd and most were there because it was "Ride for Dime"(which happens every summer). I was completely baffled by the lack of crowd. ThT turned out to be the last GF show.

AnthG
05-23-2014, 06:17 AM
When I saw Shads on the Killswitch Engage "Alive or Just Breathing Tour", outside of a few people near the front and a bit of pit action, the crowd was more or less dead during their set. It was like they were some up and coming new band that no one had heard of. I honestly thought going into the show that most of the people there would be into them since KsE and Shads came up at around the same time and toured with each other a bunch of times. I was near the soundboard and was the only one in my area singing along headbanging.

detuned
05-23-2014, 07:59 AM
It is weird though that Lamb of God did fine doing the major label thing - Ashes of the Wake was a 2004 major label release, and they're more popular now than they were then. There was a time LoG and SF were contemporaries..... seems ancient at this point.

this probably ultimately comes down to having the right business relationships and connections. being on a major label isnt going to do shit for you if there isnt support and care coming from them. who knows what factors either band had going for or against them. off the top of my head i can think of a hell of a lot bigger and better tours LOG had over SF. could have simply been a money thing, or maybe LOG just had more allies in the right places.

also, i think there is something to be said for LOG sticking to what they are good at. some may call this rehashing, but i see a pretty natural and gradual refinement over time. after revisiting some SF last night, there wasnt as much of a shift in sound when they were getting bigger as i thought i remembered, but i think there was a pretty clear step to having a more produced accessible sound. which is fine if the songs and riffs are there, which i personally dont think they were. in my opinion LOG completely destroys them in this aspect.

not to mention, what SF and just about every other modern metal band at the time ultimately was doing was just chasing the vague melodic metalcore formula KSE perfected. LOG was pretty far removed from all of that, and while they were far from original, at least their influences were either gone or irrelevant (save for slayer), so it was more filling a void than chasing anyone. pantera is what comes to mind here.

edit: and now that ive said "every other modern metal band", im thinking of a bunch of bands that didnt, but i hope people understand what i mean. every band wasnt trying to be KSE by any means, but KSE showed what was possible for that scene of bands, and directly or indirectly influenced many.

mattlion
05-23-2014, 12:04 PM
this probably ultimately comes down to having the right business relationships and connections. being on a major label isnt going to do shit for you if there isnt support and care coming from them. who knows what factors either band had going for or against them. off the top of my head i can think of a hell of a lot bigger and better tours LOG had over SF. could have simply been a money thing, or maybe LOG just had more allies in the right places.

also, i think there is something to be said for LOG sticking to what they are good at. some may call this rehashing, but i see a pretty natural and gradual refinement over time. after revisiting some SF last night, there wasnt as much of a shift in sound when they were getting bigger as i thought i remembered, but i think there was a pretty clear step to having a more produced accessible sound. which is fine if the songs and riffs are there, which i personally dont think they were. in my opinion LOG completely destroys them in this aspect.

not to mention, what SF and just about every other modern metal band at the time ultimately was doing was just chasing the vague melodic metalcore formula KSE perfected. LOG was pretty far removed from all of that, and while they were far from original, at least their influences were either gone or irrelevant (save for slayer), so it was more filling a void than chasing anyone. pantera is what comes to mind here.

edit: and now that ive said "every other modern metal band", im thinking of a bunch of bands that didnt, but i hope people understand what i mean. every band wasnt trying to be KSE by any means, but KSE showed what was possible for that scene of bands, and directly or indirectly influenced many.

I can agree with this. LoG came along and started to fill a void (Pantera-style stuff was not the rage in 03-05 when LoG "made the leap") but at the same time SF was one of a handful of bands with a similar style.

I'd argue that SF was the most unabashedly "metal" of the masscore bands, maybe that is what did them in? Too metal for the core scene, but got lumped in with the core bands from MA when it came time to rely on the metalheads. ATR went basically mainstream heavy rock and got on the radio, KsE had the melo/emo side to them, and Unearth maintains a solid connection to the metalcore scene.

AnthG
05-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Unearth is more or less in the same position as Shadows Fall is right now popularity wise.

MPF
06-27-2014, 12:07 AM
As if you couldn't feel worse for Shadows Fall

Last night we had a great show in Raleigh EXCEPT for the idiot who was nice enough to try steal our merch TWICE off our table as we played (tough to watch the merch when we are all on stage since we're the guys who sell it on this run).....so anyways our man Mikey leaped off stage and half the crowd gave chase too but unfortunately him and his buddy got away in a red Toyota/honda compact car with the license plate CFP4362 NC - so thanks to our fans who actually came to our aid to try to get this loser (you call yourself a "fan"?) - karma will get you for sure!!

If they could have only been able to afford a merch guy.. :(

justinm4bama
06-27-2014, 04:48 AM
As if you couldn't feel worse for Shadows Fall

If they could have only been able to afford a merch guy.. :(

Damn that's terrible! Hopefully he gets busted but I bet nothing will happen.

mattlion
06-27-2014, 05:08 AM
Do bands always tour with a full time merch person? I was under the impression that at times touring bands found people locally (friends, fans, club employees) to help run the tables. Same thing with sound guys.... bigger bands can afford their own sound (and sometimes lighting) engineers while club bands can defer to the house sound guy.

Sanitarium78
06-27-2014, 05:29 AM
I always thought that the merch people worked for the band(s) and traveled with them to all the shows. If they needed help, I figured someone working for the venue would step in. I know if I had someone in charge of handling my money on a nightly basis, I would want it to be a person I trust completely.

dcmetal108
06-27-2014, 07:08 AM
Do bands always tour with a full time merch person? I was under the impression that at times touring bands found people locally (friends, fans, club employees) to help run the tables. Same thing with sound guys.... bigger bands can afford their own sound (and sometimes lighting) engineers while club bands can defer to the house sound guy.

From the people I know that have done merch they are either personal friends and references from another band they did merch for.