PDA

View Full Version : Firefest 2014 - The Final Fling

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Even though I'm not going to be able to see this (it's in the UK), I thought it would be cool to post about it anyway considering it's the last of them. Dates are October 24th-26th.

Here are the bands:
--Day 1--
H.e.a.t (headliner) :rocker:
Ten
The Poodles :rocker:
Shy :rocker:
Circus Maximus :rocker:
Redrum
Angels Or Kings

--Day 2--
FireHouse (headliner, performing self-titled album in full) :drool:
Black 'N Blue :rocker:
Pretty Maids
Babylon A.D. :rocker:
Boulevard
From The Fire
Rage Of Angels :rocker:

--Day 3--
Danger Danger (headliner, original lineup: Timmons, Ravel, West, Poley, Smith) :drool:
Autograph
Coney Hatch :rocker:
Brother Firetribe :rocker:
Touch
C.I.T.A./Guild Of Ages
Axxis :rocker:

I would kill for FireHouse doing their whole debut! M3 needs to take some notes......

ravenheart
05-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Another tedious AOR yawnfest that no one will go to. It ending is the least surprising thing ever.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Another tedious AOR yawnfest that no one will go to. It ending is the least surprising thing ever.

80% sold out doesn't say "no one will go show up" to me. And c'mon, don't tell me you don't even like one band on this list? Even you can't be that hateful.

ravenheart
05-19-2014, 03:43 PM
80% sold out doesn't say "no one will go show up" to me. And c'mon, don't tell me you don't even like one band on this list? Even you can't be that hateful.

80% of a 2500 capacity club? Yeah, impressive.

I like one Ten album, does that count? Three days of campy soft rock sounds horrific to me.

I went to one day of this about 8 years ago, when Threshold headlined, with Demon and Steve Grimmett. They were awesome but the festival was awful and that was the last good day line-up they had.

MPF
05-19-2014, 03:49 PM
I like Circus Maximus...

I saw Firehouse play to 20 people 10 miles from where I used to live a few years ago. I didn't think they were still headliner material.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-19-2014, 03:50 PM
80% of a 2500 capacity club? Yeah, impressive.

I like one Ten album, does that count? Three days of campy soft rock sounds horrific to me.

I went to one day of this about 8 years ago, when Threshold headlined, with Demon and Steve Grimmett. They were awesome but the festival was awful and that was the last good day line-up they had.

Yeah you said no one wants to go so I just proved you wrong.

I can see you hating Autograph, FireHouse, Coney Hatch, and some others of that ilk on this lineup, but how can you not like Axxis or H.e.a.t? both of those bands write to darn catchy songs to not like.

mankvill
05-19-2014, 03:56 PM
I know one band in that whole lineup

ravenheart
05-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Yeah you said no one wants to go so I just proved you wrong.

Seriously, are you really 16?

For a festival, of any kind, 2500 people is nobody. It's the reason this festival is dead. It's never grown beyond that number of people in 10 years, but has kept putting its prices up nevertheless. Get some perspective.

how can you not like Axxis or H.e.a.t? both of those bands write to darn catchy songs to not like.

By "darn catchy" you presumably mean generic and boring, right? They're two of the most unoriginal bands on the whole bill.

ravenheart
05-19-2014, 04:06 PM

I know most of them. They just suck, is all ;)

markrz
05-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Pretty Maids rules!

dcmetal108
05-19-2014, 05:03 PM

This.

Though there isn't a single band here I'd watch.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-19-2014, 05:12 PM
By "darn catchy" you presumably mean generic and boring, right? They're two of the most unoriginal bands on the whole bill.

Whatever definition of "darn catchy" you have is mine, because if you think it sucks it means I like it :D.

H.e.a.t is by far my favorite new band, dead serious.

Travis The Dragon
05-19-2014, 06:55 PM
For a festival, of any kind, 2500 people is nobody.

I've seen quite a few other events called festivals or fests that were at bars and clubs that probably held under 1,000. Here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/search.php?searchid=2055011) are quite a few posted on this site alone. That's definitely not what I think of as a festival. :lol:

justinm4bama
05-19-2014, 07:16 PM
I've at least heard a few songs by Autograph and Firehouse!

ravenheart
05-20-2014, 12:32 AM
Whatever definition of "darn catchy" you have is mine, because if you think it sucks it means I like it :D.

H.e.a.t is by far my favorite new band, dead serious.

You really need to listen to more stuff. Your perspective on the quality of new bands is totally fucked.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-20-2014, 09:41 AM
You really need to listen to more stuff. Your perspective on the quality of new bands is totally fucked.

What modern melodic rock band do you consider better? that's my favorite genre of music so that's why H.e.a.t is my favorite modern band. If you can find a new melodic rock band that I haven't heard of that you think I would like tell me.

Travis The Dragon
05-20-2014, 12:25 PM
What modern melodic rock band do you consider better? that's my favorite genre of music so that's why H.e.a.t is my favorite modern band. If you can find a new melodic rock band that I haven't heard of that you think I would like tell me.

Well, I don't know how modern these bands are since they've been around for a while, but they still do put out new material:

Blind Guardian
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Helloween
Sabaton
Firewind
Dio
Dragonland
Fairyland
Iced Earth
Nightwish
Within Temptation
Sonata Arctica
Uriah Heep

mankvill
05-20-2014, 12:29 PM
>modern melodic rock

>blind guardian
>symphony x
>dream theater
>helloween
>Sabaton
>Firewind
>Dio
>Iced Earth
>Nightwish
>Within Temptation
>Sonata Arctica

:hmm:

marker
05-20-2014, 12:40 PM
This.

Though there isn't a single band here I'd watch.

I really thought you would want to check out Autograph. ;)

markrz
05-20-2014, 12:44 PM
wow @ that list of bands. You're either pulling one on us or you don't really get what "melodic rock" means in this context.

I'm a little surprised the band Eclipse isn't playing - they'd seem like a no brainer for a fest like this.

ravenheart
05-20-2014, 12:44 PM
>modern melodic rock

>blind guardian
>symphony x
>dream theater
>helloween
>Sabaton
>Firewind
>Dio
>Iced Earth
>Nightwish
>Within Temptation
>Sonata Arctica

:hmm:

And most of them aren't melodic rock bands. But apart from that, great post.

moobys37
05-20-2014, 12:50 PM
For a festival, of any kind, 2500 people is nobody.

Laughable blanket statement is laughable.

Travis The Dragon
05-20-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm trying to get The Wild into some non-hard rock/hair metal bands that are also melodic.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Well, I don't know how modern these bands are since they've been around for a while, but they still do put out new material:

Blind Guardian
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Helloween
Sabaton
Firewind
Dio
Dragonland
Fairyland
Iced Earth
Nightwish
Within Temptation
Sonata Arctica
Uriah Heep

I like pretty much like all those bands (diehard fan of Blind Guardian, Helloween, Dio, Sonata Arctica, and Nightwish), but those are all just basically power metal bands that are really melodic. When I say melodic rock I'm talking in style of Journey, Survivor, Europe, Bad English, Harem Scarem, Treat, Triumph and bands of that ilk.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-20-2014, 01:39 PM
wow @ that list of bands. You're either pulling one on us or you don't really get what "melodic rock" means in this context.

I'm a little surprised the band Eclipse isn't playing - they'd seem like a no brainer for a fest like this.

They've headlined before I believe.

Look, I get it, everyone here thinks all the bands on this list and all the rest in the genre are total crap, so you don't need to remind me every time I post about one of them! :mad:

Why do you guys care if I love the bands that you all hate anyway? is it hurting you in any shape or form? NO!

ravenheart
05-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Why do you guys care if I love the bands that you all hate anyway? is it hurting you in any shape or form? NO!

I don't care that you like bands I don't. Everyone here does.

What annoys me, and probably a lot of other people too, is that on a forum where originality and creativity is valued very highly, you heap so much praise (incessantly) on what are basically tribute bands, like H.e.a.t. You present absolutely no appreciation of originality or creativity. Now, admittedly melodic rock and power metal are just about the hardest genres to be original in now, because they have the least scope for variation, but nevertheless, the genre still has originators.

As for this festival, the line-up is crap. Pretty much every line-up since 2008 has been crap, and that, combined with the prices, are why the festival has failed and is stopping.

I'm actually surprised you aren't a big fan of Eden's Curse, The Poodles, and Covered Call. They're horrifically generic and unoriginal too.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-20-2014, 08:05 PM
I don't care that you like bands I don't. Everyone here does.

What annoys me, and probably a lot of other people too, is that on a forum where originality and creativity is valued very highly, you heap so much praise (incessantly) on what are basically tribute bands, like H.e.a.t. You present absolutely no appreciation of originality or creativity. Now, admittedly melodic rock and power metal are just about the hardest genres to be original in now, because they have the least scope for variation, but nevertheless, the genre still has originators.

As for this festival, the line-up is crap. Pretty much every line-up since 2008 has been crap, and that, combined with the prices, are why the festival has failed and is stopping.

I'm actually surprised you aren't a big fan of Eden's Curse, The Poodles, and Covered Call. They're horrifically generic and unoriginal too.

:lol: