PDA

View Full Version : Question Of The Week!

Pages : [1] 2

mankvill
05-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Hey guys, because we all need more reasons to post, I thought I'd do something kind of fun! Each week (or so) I'll post a new question here for us to answer and discuss! I thought it'd be great to just generate some new content on a consistent basis and some healthy discussion! Just fun dumb questions about music. So join in and let's talk about bullshit!

Question 1: If your state had a "Metal Band Hall of Fame," who would be the first inductee?

(For our non-US members, change "state" to "nearest city" or "country" or whatever fits!

For Kansas, I think that'd have to go to Manilla Road. In the pantheon of old-school heavy/doom/traditional metal, everyone back in the 70s and 80s loved Manowar, but for the kids in the underground, it was totally all about Manilla Road! Like Manowar without the cheese.

LWvQVln9fAU

====

It's not my state, but it's close enough, for Missouri I might make a pick out of left-field and say Order From Chaos. I don't think it's really a stretch of imagination to imply Order From Chaos was directly responsible for a shit-ton of black, death and war metal bands that were influential in their own right. A close second for me for Missouri would be Anacrusis.

UDL-bW_yAqM

adamclark52
05-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Toronto...Anvil?

mankvill
05-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Toronto...Anvil?

To their credit, my Mom knows Anvil and their music. That has to count for something...right? :eyes:

adamclark52
05-06-2014, 10:46 AM
To their credit, my Mom knows Anvil and their music. That has to count for something...right? :eyes:

As much as they suck I can't think of a more famous metal band from Toronto. I can think of better ones but not one that's hall of fame worthy.

I guess Rush too but they're not as metal. And I'm not even sure if they're from Toronto.

mastodon421
05-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Massachusetts: Converge. Some of the most wild, polarizing, groundbreaking and extreme metal to be ever made. Their track record of consistency, and impact they've made on the scene since their inception would make them a very worthy first inductee for the great state of Massachusetts- who has birthed its fair share of great metal bands over the years.

moobys37
05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Poison is technically from Harrisburg, and by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame standards that counts.

John The Drummer
05-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Queensr... oops, I mean "Not Pantera"
Nevermore
Sanctuary
Metal Church (aren't they from Seattle?)
Rottweiler

All I can think of ATM.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Well, I do think I would have to choose Theocracy, they are by far the best metal band to come out of Georgia IMO. Though Fozzy and Mastodon are more Hall Of Fame worthy, I don't like either of them.

MPF
05-06-2014, 11:20 AM
If you count Minnesota, all there really is for MN Metal bands that made it is After The Burial and Reflections. Plenty of Rock and Pop though.

For Wisconsin- I'm not too familiar with the WI scene but I am well aware of Jungle Rot.

markrz
05-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Michigan (where I grew up): Repulsion and Halloween. On a more local level, possibly Summer Dying.

Massachusetts (where I live now): Wargasm, Steel Assassin.

Epidemic Reign
05-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Flotsam & Jetsam.

swboyd
05-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Virginia (where I grew up): GWAR, Lamb of God.

Spiner202
05-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Anvil is probably the best choice for Ontario, and since I'm one of the few that still likes them, I'll make a case for them.

In terms of influence, Anvil are probably among the more important metal bands (certainly not a top 10 band or anything, but probably top 100). Their second and third albums were landmarks in speed metal, not necessarily for the speeds themselves, but more the attitude, image, and the way it all came together.

From a longevity perspective, few bands can rival them. Much like Motorhead, they continue to put out album after album of consistent, solid heavy metal. I think Motorhead is a great comparison because there isn't really any point in their career that you could say was different or awful, but there are definitely low points and high points. Despite that, every Anvil fan probably has a different favourite record if you exclude the first three, so no part of their career can really be disowned.

Surprisingly, Anvil is one of the more popular metal bands from Toronto (or Ontario). Many of the other great choices from the 80's never reached their levels of popularity (Razor, Infernal Majesty, Sacrifice, etc.), and many of the current bands are just too young and unestablished to really qualify for a "Hall of Fame" (Skull Fist, Cauldron, etc.). Even if everyone has forgot about them since the documentary, Anvil did become quite popular at that time, and they were definitely headliner material in 1983.

slapguitarer
05-06-2014, 12:09 PM
I can't think of much for California… Especially the bay area...

Dextrimental
05-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Ireland - Thin Lizzy, though Rory Gallagher would come in a close second.

elturtleboy
05-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Welll ummm..

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/7/2/72_logo.png?1348

adamclark52
05-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Anvil is probably the best choice for Ontario, and since I'm one of the few that still likes them, I'll make a case for them.

In terms of influence, Anvil are probably among the more important metal bands (certainly not a top 10 band or anything, but probably top 100). Their second and third albums were landmarks in speed metal, not necessarily for the speeds themselves, but more the attitude, image, and the way it all came together.

From a longevity perspective, few bands can rival them. Much like Motorhead, they continue to put out album after album of consistent, solid heavy metal. I think Motorhead is a great comparison because there isn't really any point in their career that you could say was different or awful, but there are definitely low points and high points. Despite that, every Anvil fan probably has a different favourite record if you exclude the first three, so no part of their career can really be disowned.

Surprisingly, Anvil is one of the more popular metal bands from Toronto (or Ontario). Many of the other great choices from the 80's never reached their levels of popularity (Razor, Infernal Majesty, Sacrifice, etc.), and many of the current bands are just too young and unestablished to really qualify for a "Hall of Fame" (Skull Fist, Cauldron, etc.). Even if everyone has forgot about them since the documentary, Anvil did become quite popular at that time, and they were definitely headliner material in 1983.

But let's be honest, if there were a real Metal Hall of Fame going in Toronto Rush would be the first to go in. I hate them, I think they're one of the worst bands I've heard in my life. And I don't think they're even metal. But from a marketing perspective Rush would be the one to get most peoples attention.

Spiner202
05-06-2014, 12:35 PM
But let's be honest, if there were a real Metal Hall of Fame going in Toronto Rush would be the first to go in. I hate them, I think they're one of the worst bands I've heard in my life. And I don't think they're even metal. But from a marketing perspective Rush would be the one to get most peoples attention.

I agree they'd get in first, but if Manilla Road is the example band here, then I don't think we're going by public perception instead of deservedness.

PVH5150
05-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Massachusetts

1. Grief
2. Meliah Rage
3. Nightstick
4. Extreme

In that order.

adamclark52
05-06-2014, 12:42 PM
I agree they'd get in first, but if Manilla Road is the example band here, then I don't think we're going by public perception instead of deservedness.

Yeah, I forgot it was a hypothetical thread.

I'd induct Rob Ford too, that guy is fucking metal.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-06-2014, 12:50 PM

that's a joke right?

PVH5150
05-06-2014, 12:51 PM

1. Y&T
2. Y&T
3. Y&T

John The Drummer
05-06-2014, 01:13 PM
that's a joke right?

I dunno man, that's a hard area for ANYONE to even pin point one band that qualifies. Weren't Pantera and Black Sabbath from there?

Breaking The Law
05-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Not much for New Hampshire, guess I would go with Aerosmith. They arent metal, and they are considered a Boston band but they formed in NH so I will pick them. As a side note Ronnie James Dio was born in NH, but I don't know if that counts enough since he grew up in NY.

BloodoftheKings
05-06-2014, 01:19 PM
There's a lot from New York. From Long Island specifically it would probably be Dream Theater.

maidenpriest
05-06-2014, 01:29 PM
For Arizona...hmm. Alice Cooper is all I can really think of in terms of hard rock/metal.

mankvill
05-06-2014, 01:37 PM
For Arizona...hmm. Alice Cooper is all I can really think of in terms of hard rock/metal.

Job For A Cowboy, bruh :metal:

300%_Density
05-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Manks I really figured you'd play the pop punk card in MO and use Story Of The Year. I don't know you anymore.

mankvill
05-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Manks I really figured you'd play the pop punk card in MO and use Story Of The Year. I don't know you anymore.

funnily enough, story of the year isn't pop-punk but instead horrendous buttshit

300%_Density
05-06-2014, 02:06 PM
funnily enough, story of the year isn't pop-punk but instead horrendous buttshit

At a certain point it all kinda blends in for me.

smearCampaign
05-06-2014, 02:08 PM
For my home state of Michigan I guess the big one would be KISS, but I would personally say Repulsion.

From Texas: DRI or some other band that starts with a P and ends with an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Natrlhi
05-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Massachusetts: Converge.I think you spelt "ISIS" wrong.

(jk Converge is the shit as well ;))

EDIT: Don't forget Caspian (from Beverly).

Well, I do think I would have to choose Theocracy, they are by far the best metal band to come out of Georgia IMO.I think you spelt "BARONESS" wrong.

Not kidding at all.

Though Fozzy and Mastodon are more Hall Of Fame worthy, I don't like either of them.Mastodon doesn't like you either.

I thought Fozzy was the name of that retarded Muppet.

kalfitegrdan
05-06-2014, 03:21 PM
I guess I'd have to go with Macabre and Master or more recently, Cardiac Arrest and Bongripper.

If we were just talking hometowns and were including grind, then Charles Bronson and Weekend Nachos or more recently, Sick/Tired.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I think you spelt "BARONESS" wrong.

Not kidding at all.

You seriously believe that Baroness is a band I would like? you should know my musical tastes better than that....

Mastodon doesn't like you either.

they don't? mission accomplished :party:

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-06-2014, 04:06 PM
I dunno man, that's a hard area for ANYONE to even pin point one band that qualifies. Weren't Pantera and Black Sabbath from there?

I got the impression that he couldn't think of any bands that could qualify, not that he couldn't choose between a lot that can.

I mean you got Armored Saint, Avenged Sevenfold, Cirith Ungol, Dokken, GNR, Metallica, The Crue, and the list goes on and on.

GarageMetal468
05-06-2014, 04:29 PM
I guess I'd have to go with Macabre and Master or more recently, Cardiac Arrest and Bongripper.

If we were just talking hometowns and were including grind, then Charles Bronson and Weekend Nachos or more recently, Sick/Tired.

Trouble definitely has a spot, especially in terms of influence.

dcmetal108
05-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Trouble definitely has a spot, especially in terms of influence.

YOU FORGOT SOMEONE! THE KINGS OF HEAVY THROWING DOWN BEAT THE FUCK UP MUSIC!

HARMS WAY NIGGA!

mastodon421
05-06-2014, 06:22 PM
EDIT: Don't forget Caspian (from Beverly).

Holy shit Caspian is from Beverly? I've only heard of them in passing from you and a couple of other people on the forum, but I didn't know they were from Mass, let alone a city that's 15 minutes from me :lol:. Guess I'll have to check to them out now;)

mastodon421
05-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I forgot it was a hypothetical thread.

I'd induct Rob Ford too, that guy is fucking metal.

He's not only metal, he's a fucking national treasure.

El Gordo
05-06-2014, 06:52 PM
As much as they suck I can't think of a more famous metal band from Toronto. I can think of better ones but not one that's hall of fame worthy.

I guess Rush too but they're not as metal. And I'm not even sure if they're from Toronto.

If it were me choosing, I'd go with either Sacrifice or Razor for Ontario. Anvil has more bad albums than good -- I can't say the same for those other two.

Rush is from Toronto -- Willowdale to be exact. I love them, but I wouldn't call them metal. Influential to metal, yes, but not metal.

powerslave_85
05-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Vermont's about as metal as a fleece pullover from Eddie Bauer, so nobody.

Natrlhi
05-06-2014, 07:32 PM
You seriously believe that Baroness is a band I would like? you should know my musical tastes better than that...
The thread isn't about bands you like - it's about bands that deserve to be in the hypothetical HoF from your state. Hence, Baroness - whether you like it or not. So there.

Holy shit Caspian is from Beverly? I've only heard of them in passing from you and a couple of other people on the forum, but I didn't know they were from Mass, let alone a city that's 15 minutes from me :lol:. Guess I'll have to check to them out now;)
Hell yes, home slice - and I didn't even have to look that one up. :allan:

Seriously, though - Caspian are one of the best post rock bands ever to exist - and that's no exaggeration. Phenomenally nice guys, too - a class act all around. :fist:

dredg822
05-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Caspian are one of the best post rock bands ever to exist - and that's no exaggeration. Phenomenally nice guys, too - a class act all around. :fist:

Seconded.

300%_Density
05-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Vermont's about as metal as a fleece pullover from Eddie Bauer, so nobody.

This is easily one of my favorite responses to anything on this board.

Sanitarium78
05-06-2014, 08:28 PM
For my state it would be between Dio and Anthrax. Dio was born in the state but didn't live here for too long after he became successful. He spent more of his life living out in California I believe. Anthrax on the other hand has always been New York through and through and overall probably is the better representation of the state.

IrritatedTrout
05-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Virginia (where I grew up): GWAR, Lamb of God.

This.

dcmetal108
05-06-2014, 08:59 PM
He's not only metal, he's a fucking national treasure.

I think Nation Treasure 3 should be able Nic Cage rescuing Rob Ford.

Natrlhi
05-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Cleveland has birthed various acts such as Ringworm, Keelhaul, Integrity, Chimaira, and (occasionally we'll admit to) Mushroomhead.

Other parts of Ohio have produced some awesome bands such as If These Trees Could Talk (Akron), Mouth of the Architect (Dayton), Struck by Lightning (Dayton), Ben Sharp / Cloudkicker (Columbus) and the mighty Skeletontits (Athens).

Admittedly, Ohio has also shat out such filth as Black Veil Brides (Cincy), Miss May I & The Devil Wears Prada (Dayton), and Attack Attack! (Columbus).

Finally - Trent Reznor, Maynard James Keenan, Marilyn Manson and Ripper Owens are all from Ohio.

(Also, Jim from Nunslaughter is originally from Pittsburgh but currently lives in the city where I grew up as a kid. :rockdevil)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Of all of these, the only one that deserves to be in any hall of fame type situation for sure is Trent Reznor, whom I met once at a party before he got really famous (it was around 1988, just a year or so before Pretty Hate Machine came out). Maynard and Ripper alone wouldn't merit induction (although their bands surely would), and I dunno about freakboy Manson. I suppose maybe, based on album sales.

I could see MotA and Trees making it after a few more albums if they keep on their current paths.

Christen
05-06-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure nobody note worthy (As far as metal goes) came out of Saskatchewan.

AnthG
05-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Ugh, is Anvil seriously the best Metal band Toronto has to offer?

Then again all the Canadian heavy metal bands I listen to aren't really "Hall of fame worthy" in the sense that they're hugely influential or have been around a long time. Toronto or no. I mean Dave Brockie was born in Ottawa so there's that.

Sebastian Bach is from Peterborough though...

HackedUpForBBQ
05-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Buffalo - Cannibal Corpse, even though they have long since relocated to Florida. And Malevolent Creation for sure. Then there are those whom I will not mention

AnthG
05-07-2014, 05:10 AM
If Every Time I Die is those of "whom you will not mention" then you are mistaken.

ravenheart
05-07-2014, 05:47 AM
Should be: Black Sabbath
Would be: Led Zeppelin

ravenheart
05-07-2014, 05:48 AM

Ugh, is Anvil seriously the best Metal band Toronto has to offer?

Then again all the Canadian heavy metal bands I listen to aren't really "Hall of fame worthy" in the sense that they're hugely influential or have been around a long time. Toronto or no. I mean Dave Brockie was born in Ottawa so there's that.

Sebastian Bach is from Peterborough though...

Annihilator, obviously. How is this even a question?

PVH5150
05-07-2014, 05:58 AM
For my state it would be between Dio and Anthrax. Dio was born in the state but didn't live here for too long after he became successful. He spent more of his life living out in California I believe. Anthrax on the other hand has always been New York through and through and overall probably is the better representation of the state.

Dio was born in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Sanitarium78
05-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Dio was born in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Ah, my mistake. He was born New Hampshire but moved to Courtland, NY when he was young and grew up there. It always seemed that Ronnie was associated more with NY state even though he wasn't born here. I don't know how they talk about him in New Hampshire.

AnthG
05-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Anyone here from Edmonton? I just found out that Sam Rivers and John Otto from Limp Bizkit are from Edmonton. I was always wondering how the rhythm section of that band could be decent whilst the rest was just really lame.

mastodon421
05-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Anyone here from Edmonton? I just found out that Sam Rivers and John Otto from Limp Bizkit are from Edmonton. I was always wondering how the rhythm section of that band could be decent whilst the rest was just really lame.

Hey man, don't hate on Wes Borland. Dude is actually a really good guitarist.

AnthG
05-07-2014, 09:23 AM
People keep saying that but his track record doesn't show it. Not just in Limp Bizkit, but Black Light Burns as well.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2014, 10:55 AM
The thread isn't about bands you like - it's about bands that deserve to be in the hypothetical HoF from your state. Hence, Baroness - whether you like it or not. So there.

Hell yes, home slice - and I didn't even have to look that one up. :allan:

Seriously, though - Caspian are one of the best post rock bands ever to exist - and that's no exaggeration. Phenomenally nice guys, too - a class act all around. :fist:

To be honest I don't know the slightest thing about their popularity, and have only run past the name a couple of times through here. All I know is their a stoner/sludge band.

Epidemic Reign
05-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Cleveland has birthed various acts such as Ringworm, Keelhaul, Integrity, Chimaira, and (occasionally we'll admit to) Mushroomhead.

Other parts of Ohio have produced some awesome bands such as If These Trees Could Talk (Akron), Mouth of the Architect (Dayton), Struck by Lightning (Dayton), Ben Sharp / Cloudkicker (Columbus) and the mighty Skeletontits (Athens).

Admittedly, Ohio has also shat out such filth as Black Veil Brides (Cincy), Miss May I & The Devil Wears Prada (Dayton), and Attack Attack! (Columbus).

Finally - Trent Reznor, Maynard James Keenan, Marilyn Manson and Ripper Owens are all from Ohio.

(Also, Jim from Nunslaughter is originally from Pittsburgh but currently lives in the city where I grew up as a kid. :rockdevil)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Of all of these, the only one that deserves to be in any hall of fame type situation for sure is Trent Reznor, whom I met once at a party before he got really famous (it was around 1988, just a year or so before Pretty Hate Machine came out). Maynard and Ripper alone wouldn't merit induction (although their bands surely would), and I dunno about freakboy Manson. I suppose maybe, based on album sales.

I could see MotA and Trees making it after a few more albums if they keep on their current paths.

When I think of Ohio, the first band that comes to mind is Necrophagia.

moobys37
05-07-2014, 02:26 PM

He's originally from PA... ;)

Natrlhi
05-07-2014, 02:36 PM
When I think of Ohio, the first band that comes to mind is Necrophagia.
Huh. Forgot about them.

He's originally from PA... ;)
I don't have a snappy comeback for that. You win. I guess we'll have to make due with the rest of the names on my list. ;)

PowerMaiden
05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Celine Dion

seriously though ... Voivod

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

SomewhereInTime72
05-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Anthrax are the obvious choice for New York, state and city. ...No one else really comes as close to deserving being in a theoretical metal hall of fame.

DisposableJustice
05-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Wow great question; I never really thought Colorado as a big metal/hard rock state as we are a big mix of musical genres. If someone with more brains can suggest a band, let me know....but our biggest band that could be hall of fame material is Havok

markrz
05-10-2014, 10:29 AM
^ Jag Panzer man! (And Satan's Host)

markrz
05-10-2014, 10:33 AM
I loved Colorado/Denver when I was there last fall. Great city (at least the part I saw), friendly crowd, good times all around. I could easily envision myself living there.

Epidemic Reign
05-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Wow great question; I never really thought Colorado as a big metal/hard rock state as we are a big mix of musical genres. If someone with more brains can suggest a band, let me know....but our biggest band that could be hall of fame material is Havok

The only metal band that I know offhand is from Colorado is Allegaeon... which is a fantastic band, but I don't think they're known/popular enough to contend with Havok.

mankvill
05-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Question 2: What's your favorite metal album to come out your month/year of birth?

Partly inspired by Morbid Angel's "Altars Of Madness" which came out today in 1989. 19 days after, I was born!

6mfvSSl9L9M

John The Drummer
05-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Oh fack... time to study... definitely not an answer I'd know off hand :lol:

Natrlhi
05-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Shit question. Metal did not yet exist when I was born.

EDIT: On second thought, perhaps I should soften my response - or at least qualify it better. The two most "metal" albums that were released in the year I was born were Master of Reality and Led Zeppelin IV, but neither of these were released in February.

adamclark52
05-12-2014, 12:21 PM
1980, May

Honestly, absolutely nothing. I guess Blizzard of Ozz but that's really stretching it.

Natrlhi
05-12-2014, 12:41 PM
1980, May

Honestly, absolutely nothing. I guess Blizzard of Ozz but that's really stretching it.

Both British Steel and Iron Maiden's S/T were released in mid-April - I'd say that's close enough. :fist:

MPF
05-12-2014, 12:43 PM
1988- Metallica- ...And Justice For All

I was born the day Harvester Of Sorrow was released as a single. August 19th, 1988.

adamclark52
05-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Both British Steel and Iron Maiden's S/T were released in mid-April - I'd say that's close enough. :fist:

I'd probably like them but I've never heard either.

However, the Empire Strikes Back came out the month I was born.

Natrlhi
05-12-2014, 12:46 PM
I'd probably like them but I've never heard either.

However, the Empire Strikes Back came out the month I was born.

The latter fact is very metal, but the former - specifically the part about you never having heard British Steel, unfortunately means that I can no longer converse with you in any form whatsoever, since you are now officially dead to me.

adamclark52
05-12-2014, 12:53 PM
The latter fact is very metal, but the former - specifically the part about you never having heard British Steel, unfortunately means that I can no longer converse with you in any form whatsoever, since you are now officially dead to me.

I'll leave now.

Sure you don't want a t-shirt?

John The Drummer
05-12-2014, 12:57 PM
October 1988

After a very brief search the only album I could find is...
Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Sadly, I'm not that big of a Bathory fan *ducks as trash gets thrown at me*

PVH5150
05-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Birthdate: April 30th, 1990

Bathory's "Hammerheart" was released on April 16th, 1990.

Nice.

AnthG
05-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Oct. 1988

I guess more like "Favourite band that happened to release an album in the month/year you were born", which is Soundgarden's Ultramega OK which I actually haven't listened to.

Natrlhi
05-12-2014, 01:19 PM
October 1988

Oct. 1988
Not exactly metal, but very close:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kkyHvreqL.jpg

...released on October 11, 1988.

mankvill
05-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Sadly, I'm not that big of a Bathory fan *ducks as trash gets thrown at me*

-_-

mankvill
05-12-2014, 01:22 PM
I'll also say that although it was in 2006, Celtic Frost's "Monotheist" was released the day before my birthday!

moobys37
05-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption, July 1990

smearCampaign
05-12-2014, 01:32 PM
I was born August '83, so the closest to me would be Kill 'Em All: July 25, 1983 :rocker:

Natrlhi
05-12-2014, 01:33 PM
I'll also say that although it was in 2006, Celtic Frost's "Monotheist" was released the day before my birthday!

Altars of Madness shits on Monotheist. Have I taught you nothing, son?

mastodon421
05-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Beastie Boys-Check Your Head April 1992 (came out the day I was born actually)

DisposableJustice
05-12-2014, 01:43 PM
*google that shit*

I was born on December 6th, 1985....and after research, to my plesant surprise, what came out 5 days before I was born?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Bestial_devastation.jpg

It's a sign that I was born to love metal, and Sepultura (at least the original line-up) is one of my favorite bands

:rocker:

Plus, this gem came out 1 1/2 months after my birth:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets_cover.jpg

:)

Spiner202
05-12-2014, 01:54 PM
I'll go with Silence of the Centuries by Depravity. All of the 1993 albums I really liked either came out in April or June (I was born in May).

Natrlhi
05-12-2014, 01:59 PM
My birth into the world of metal happened in 1986 when a friend gave me a cassette of Van Halen's 5150 on one side (my request) and Judas Priest's Turbo (his choice of albums to take up the available space) on the other side. I became a Judas Priest fan and a metal fan that year, which is the year I turned fifteen.

On a somewhat related note, four days prior to my 15th birthday, this was released:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets_cover.jpg

kalfitegrdan
05-12-2014, 03:34 PM
December sucks for album releases. The UK release of Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium was the only December 1991 release I could find from a band I like.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-12-2014, 03:52 PM
1998 was the year of power metal in my eyes, so while there are good few to pick from (Oceanborn, Vain Glory Opera and Legacy Of Kings being chief among them), in the end it's no question that this was the album of the year:

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/187/MI0000187910.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

John The Drummer
05-12-2014, 04:12 PM
GODDAMN YOU'RE YOUNG!!!! :lol:

GarageMetal468
05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Immolation's Dawn of Possession came out 4 days after I was born, and Massacre's From Beyond 2 weeks before I was born, so that's pretty cool I guess.

markrz
05-12-2014, 04:33 PM
GODDAMN YOU'RE YOUNG!!!! :lol:

haha I read that and thought "so that explains the second half of this guy's username". I must say he has great picks (all of them) for his year. I wish I had been into that stuff when I was that young.

DisposableJustice
05-12-2014, 05:47 PM
not an album release, but....

December 6, 1988: The band film their first-ever video "One," in L.A. a day before the first of their two-night appearance at the Long Beach Arena.

It was their first ever video and one of their best songs, so there you go:blaze:

ravenheart
05-13-2014, 04:43 AM
Is this month and year, or month or year?

PHRASE YOUR QUESTIONS BETTER.

May, 1982: Saxon - The Eagle Has Landed (because it's the only one I can find released specifically in May)

1982: KISS - Creatures of The Night

Seriously though, good year!

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Demon - The Unexpected Guest
Accept - Restless And Wild
Diamond Head - Borrowed Time
Venom - Black Metal
Motorhead - Iron Fist
Scorpions - Blackout
Vandenberg - Vandenberg
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Anvil - Metal On Metal
Black Sabbath - Live Evil

Also according to Wiki, Dio, W.A.S.P., Death Angel, Artillery, Warlock, Destruction, and Kreator all formed that year.

:D

ravenheart
05-13-2014, 04:48 AM
December sucks for album releases. The UK release of Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium was the only December 1991 release I could find from a band I like.

And what a fucking release! :rocker:

AnthG
05-13-2014, 04:58 AM
...released on October 11, 1988.

Well ain't that some shit.

PVH5150
05-13-2014, 05:04 AM

Needs moar Y&T - Black Tiger ;)

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Is this month and year, or month or year?

PHRASE YOUR QUESTIONS BETTER.

May, 1982: Saxon - The Eagle Has Landed (because it's the only one I can find released specifically in May)

1982: KISS - Creatures of The Night

Seriously though, good year!

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Demon - The Unexpected Guest
Accept - Restless And Wild
Diamond Head - Borrowed Time
Venom - Black Metal
Motorhead - Iron Fist
Scorpions - Blackout
Vandenberg - Vandenberg
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Anvil - Metal On Metal
Black Sabbath - Live Evil

Also according to Wiki, Dio, W.A.S.P., Death Angel, Artillery, Warlock, Destruction, and Kreator all formed that year.

:D
I would probably take Screaming For Vengeance over Creatures, but very great picks anyway! I have never listened to that Vadenburg album before but I've always seen it show up a lot when I'm looking through iTunes, if you like it I gotta check it out.

ravenheart
05-13-2014, 01:43 PM
I would probably take Screaming For Vengeance over Creatures, but very great picks anyway! I have never listened to that Vadenburg album before but I've always seen it show up a lot when I'm looking through iTunes, if you like it I gotta check it out.

It's easily the best Vandenberg album for me. The other two are really campy (which means you'd probably like those too ;))

John The Drummer
05-13-2014, 03:04 PM
If we just go by year and not month... then BY GAWD, BEST ALBUM EVER..

Pantera's "Power Metal" was released in May of '88 :D :rocker:

Maiden33
05-13-2014, 03:59 PM
September 1990:
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Queensryche - Empire

maidenpriest
05-13-2014, 05:28 PM
October 1991:

Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger
Fates Warning- Parallels

And for you Death fans out there, Human came out that month too.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-13-2014, 06:13 PM
It's easily the best Vandenberg album for me. The other two are really campy (which means you'd probably like those too ;))

yes it probably does :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
05-13-2014, 08:47 PM
November 1989... there's only one album I can think of and I don't really even feel like choosing it. :hmm:

El Gordo
05-13-2014, 09:22 PM
The closest most awesome albums to my day of birth of August 9, 1980 are Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations on October 3, and Motorhead - Ace of Spades on November 8. I like Ace of Spades better, so let's go with that!

ravenheart
05-14-2014, 02:32 AM
November 1989... there's only one album I can think of and I don't really even feel like choosing it. :hmm:

Helstar - Nosferatu
Whitesnake - Slip of The Tongue

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-14-2014, 07:13 AM
Helstar - Nosferatu
Whitesnake - Slip of The Tongue

Both very great, but even though it wasn't released in November, let's not forget Skid Row's awesome debut :rocker:

Alduin
05-14-2014, 08:18 AM
January 1992 there was no albums I knew of, but I just listenend to beyond sanctorum by therion and it's Fuckin awesome

adamclark52
05-14-2014, 08:24 AM
...I feel old...

treghet
05-16-2014, 04:39 AM

Yeah, I can't think of anything for December 1992, so I'm just going to say Darkthrone's A Blaze in the Northern Sky, which is my favorite release from that year.

ravenheart
05-16-2014, 06:11 AM
...I feel old...

There's a reason for that... ;)

adamclark52
05-16-2014, 06:50 AM
There's a reason for that... ;)

I had to explain to my one apprentice the other day who Guns n' Roses were. I don't know if it was ignorance on his part or just the generation gap hitting.

treghet
05-16-2014, 06:57 AM
I had to explain to my one apprentice the other day who Guns n' Roses were. I don't know if it was ignorance on his part or just the generation gap hitting.

Ignorance.

dcmetal108
05-16-2014, 07:08 AM

It's okay after work a few weeks ago I changed into shorts and a metal shirt before heading off to a concert and one of the girls that works in the front store asked where I was going and I said "to a metal show at House Of Blues".

Her response "Oh are you going to see Metallica or one of those other death metal bands". :confused::confused::confused::tp::tp::tp:

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Her response "Oh are you going to see Metallica or one of those other death metal bands". :confused::confused::confused::tp::tp::tp:

sounds like my mom :lol:

AnthG
05-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Or he was trolling. You sure he wasn't trolling? He HAD to be trolling.

adamclark52
05-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Or he was trolling. You sure he wasn't trolling? He HAD to be trolling.

No, I think it was a combination of his generation and general ignorance.

John The Drummer
05-16-2014, 09:34 AM
If you don't know GnR, then you've obviously never played San Andreas, which means you haven't lifed hard enough.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-16-2014, 09:53 AM
I agree with AnthG, pretty much everyone I know (even 8-11 year olds) know who GnR is, so I'd be in shock if he wasn't trolling.

adamclark52
05-16-2014, 10:19 AM
I agree with AnthG, pretty much everyone I know (even 8-11 year olds) know who GnR is, so I'd be in shock if he wasn't trolling.

No, you really have to know the kid. He's stupid.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-16-2014, 12:59 PM

Well I guess that can sometimes be the case :lol:

AnthG
05-16-2014, 01:19 PM

What type of music does he listen to in general? You said he's an apprentice so i'm assuming he's at least 18 or something.

adamclark52
05-16-2014, 01:40 PM
What type of music does he listen to in general? You said he's an apprentice so i'm assuming he's at least 18 or something.

He's an Asian kid who communicates through his phone. He seems to not like much of anything.

AnthG
05-16-2014, 01:51 PM
So probably less a generation gap and more a lack of interest in rock music or whatever.

John The Drummer
05-16-2014, 01:59 PM
He's an Asian kid who communicates through his phone. He seems to not like much of anything.

Show him Baby Metal.

#THATSRACIST

adamclark52
05-16-2014, 02:00 PM
I think he just epitomizes most of his generation.

BloodoftheKings
05-16-2014, 02:11 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/Kyuss_Welcome_to_Sky_Valley.jpg

Came out the day I was born.

adamclark52
05-16-2014, 02:30 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/Kyuss_Welcome_to_Sky_Valley.jpg

Came out the day I was born.

The winner.

AnthG
05-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Show him Baby Metal.

#THATSRACIST

Chthonic.

Epidemic Reign
05-16-2014, 04:34 PM
I was born 8 days after King Diamond's "Abigail" was released.

I also have an older sister named Abigail.

es156
05-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Led Zeppelin II

:eyes:

slapguitarer
05-16-2014, 11:12 PM
I honestly have nothing for a month/year. As far as year, Welcome To Sky Valley

mankvill
05-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Question 3: It's a two-parter!

1. What's the best single live performance you've ever seen?

2. What's the best overall concert you've ever seen?

:party:

For me, not including festivals, the single best live performance I've seen was Iron Maiden (close seconds - Celtic Frost, first time I saw Vektor, first time I saw Skeletonwitch, etc.) and the best overall single concert would probably be Slayer doing all of Seasons, Megadeth doing all of Rust In Peace and Testament opening.

John The Drummer
05-20-2014, 06:50 PM
That's a really tough one.... fuck you :D

1. It's a real toss up, TBH.... the first time I saw Melechesh (Rotting Christ tour) was just amazing since I've been dying to see them for years, but then there was the Absu tour last year, which lets be honest now, was just too good for words. Maybe watching Exodus perform "Bonded By Blood" on my bands equipment too..... I think I gotta go with Absu in 2013!

2. This will be a bit of a cop out.... but MDF X :) . Such a lineup with so many bands I never thought I'd ever see (and bands that were just killer) - Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Brujeria, Haemorrhage, Macabre, Tsjuder, Autopsy, Absu, the list goes on and on and on and on!

MPF
05-20-2014, 07:03 PM
1.) Devin Townsend at Station 4 October 5th 2011.

2.) Summer Slaughter 2012, because it was the first experience I had interviewing major Metal bands all in one day.

markrz
05-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Best single performance might be Widespread Panic in 2007, the first time I saw them. It's very hard for me to choose between the group of best ones I can remember seeing, I break out in a sweat going back and forth, heh. But I think that one wins by a hair.

Best overall concert, ROSFest in Gettysburg, PA 2013.

adamclark52
05-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Best single performance: Mr. Bungle in October 1999 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=22230)

Best overall concert: Carcass, Suffocation, 1349, Aborted and Rotten Sound in 2008 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=19732).

IrritatedTrout
05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Best single performance: Iron Maiden either in 2010 at Madison Square Garden or 2013 at Palais Omnisports De Paris Bercy.

Best overall concert: Maybe the Metal Masters 2008 in DC with Judas Priest, Heaven and Hell, Motorhead, and Testament.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-20-2014, 09:15 PM
1.Toss up between Switchfoot (for the pure energy) and seeing Van Halen for the first time (being nine years old and seeing my guitar hero for the first time leaves an impression).

2.M3 Rock Festival (Extreme, Night Ranger, Queensryche, Heaven's Edge, and Slaughter rank now in my top ten favorite live bands)

ravenheart
05-21-2014, 02:10 AM
Hmmm....

No idea, seen far too many shows.

Best single performance is likely Overkill at one time or another, but I've seen several shows more significant/special.

Best show... no idea. We don't get that many package bills. I'm not including festivals, that's too easy.

treghet
05-21-2014, 02:24 AM
I have to be cliche and say Iron Maiden put on the best performance I've seen. They have so much energy on stage and they still sound incredible after all these years.

As for the best show overall, that would be Bolt Thrower, Autopsy, and Benediction. Bolt Thrower was one of the last bands I ever imagined I would see live and adding Autopsy and Benediction to the mix just made it even better. It was a lineup straight out of the '90s. I'd be surprised if any show ever tops that night for me.

slapguitarer
05-21-2014, 03:30 AM
Best single performance is Rush on Time Machine Tour

Best show overall was Stella Natura 2013

Epidemic Reign
05-21-2014, 04:05 AM
Best single performance I've ever seen, I'd have to give to my favorite band ELECTRIC SIX when they recorded their live album "Absolute Pleasure" at First Avenue in Minneapolis, MN (MPH you should have been there goddamnit!)

Best overall concert? Probably Soilwork / Dark Tranquillity / Hypocrisy / Mnemic back in 2005. Just because the overall lineup was fucking amazing.

PVH5150
05-21-2014, 05:06 AM
Single performance: Pick any of the Y&T shows I've posted about. Nobody does it better than Dave Meniketti.

Overall concert: Rush. September 7th, 2012. Opening night of the Clockwork Angels tour at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH. Setlist had more deep cuts than a My Chemical Romance fan's wrist.

Spiner202
05-21-2014, 05:29 AM
Best Single Performance: Slayer at Heavy T.O. Even though I've seen a lot of other great bands, this was really an insane performance.

Best Show: Wacken 2012. That's the easy answer though, so I'll go with Iron Maiden with Alice Cooper opening in 2012.

JRA
05-21-2014, 06:18 AM
Single performance was Priest in 2007-8 Whenever the Metal Masters tour was.

Best overall was Clash of the Titans 2 in 2010.

As for last week's question:
http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/588247/600full-bonded-by-blood-cover.jpg

AnthG
05-21-2014, 06:26 AM
1. Gojira in Feb. 2013 on their headlining tour.

2. Tough one, but i'll go with The BlackDiamondSkye show in Sept. 2010. I was front row of the pit, so that helped.

dcmetal108
05-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Best single performance would prolly be KISS, TBDM, or KSE when they did their whole first album.

Best overall show I have no clue.

AnthG
05-29-2014, 07:44 AM
WHAT'S THE NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK?

MetalIsArt
05-29-2014, 08:24 AM
WHAT'S THE NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK?

I DONT KNOW :bouville:

larvtard
05-29-2014, 08:25 AM
top ten bands at MDF go

kalfitegrdan
05-29-2014, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty sure Asphyx at MDF might have been the single best performance I've ever seen.

Best single bill outside of a festival? I'd probably have to go with Napalm Death, Exhumed (pre-Necrocracy bullshit), Vektor, Weekend Nachos, Smash Potater.

mastodon421
05-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Greatest performance I've ever seen is a tie between System of a Down in 2012 and BTBAM at NEMHF in 2011.

Best overall show was NEMHF 2011 Day 3: Hatebreed, Skeletonwitch, Revocation, 3 Inches of Blood, Dying Fetus, Times of Grace, The Ocean, Born of Osiris, Son of Aurelius, The Contortionist, Last Chance to Reason, Lazarus A.D, Cephalic Carnage and the aforementioned BTBAM performance.

John The Drummer
05-29-2014, 10:10 AM
top ten bands at MDF go

Top bands for me at MDF.... X! :D

(in no real order)

1. Morbid Angel
2. Napalm Death
3. Haemorrhage
4. Tsjuder
5. Bethlehem
6. Demonical
7. Brujeria (they were really sloppy, but super fun)
8. Macabre
9. Electric Wizard
10. Saint Vitus

mankvill
05-29-2014, 10:16 AM
I am thinking of a good one. But I'll wait until next week to post. :D

MetalIsArt
05-29-2014, 10:38 AM

Should we be afraid?

treghet
05-31-2014, 05:27 AM

Which Girls' Generation member is the cutest???

mankvill
06-01-2014, 12:49 AM
Which Girls' Generation member is the cutest???

1. Tiffany
2. Sunny
3. Seohyun
4. Jessica
5. Taeyeon
6. Yuri
7. Hyoyeon
8. Sooyoung
9. Yoona

mankvill
06-02-2014, 04:35 PM
QUESTION 4: How many "classic bands" from metal genres have you seen live? Be as specific as you'd like.

Feel free to use stuff like this (http://hewgill.com/~greg/definitive-metal-family-tree.png) to help you along.

For example:

Big Four of Thrash:

Metallica (x)
Slayer (x)
Megadeth (x)
Anthrax (x)

Next Four of Thrash:

Testament (x)
Exodus (x)
Overkill (x)
Death Angel (x)

Big Four of German Thrash:

Kreator (x)
Destruction (x)
Tankard (x)

First Wave of Black Metal:

Celtic Frost (x)
Venom (x)

Second Wave of Black Metal:

Enslaved (x)

NWOBHM:

Iron Maiden (x)
Judas Priest (x)
Diamond Head (x)
Motorhead (x)

Classic Death Metal:

Cannibal Corpse (x)
Suffocation (x)
Morbid Angel (x)
Deicide (x)
Obituary (x)

Classic Grindcore:

Carcass (x)
Napalm Death (x)
Repulsion (x)
Nasum (x)

But yeah, something like that! Have some fun! :D

Spiner202
06-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Using that family tree with a few others added in:

Early Metal:
Black Sabbath (as Heaven and Hell)

Power Metal:
Scorpions
Yngwie Malmsteen
Helloween
Blind Guardian
HammerFall :rocker:
Primal Fear
Gamma Ray
Edguy
Avantasia

Progressive Metal:
Queensryche
Voivod

Shock Rock:
Alice Cooper

NWOBHM:
Motorhead
Saxon
Iron Maiden
Diamond Head

Thrash Metal:
Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth
Exodus
Overkill
Kreator
Destruction
Testament
Death Angel
Sepultura
Sacred Reich
Coroner
Children of Bodom (???)

Death Metal:
Deicide
Cannibal Corpse
Immolation
Massacre

Grindcore:
Napalm Death

Nu Metal
Slipknot
Disturbed
Kittie

MPF
06-02-2014, 05:08 PM
I have seen so many shows, but for the life of me I can't figure them out by genres. If someone sets up a definitive list of genres to use I could probably figure out.

DisposableJustice
06-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Ok, I don't really do with in refining genres, but I'll try don't sass me

Nu Metal:
-Korn
-Linkin Park
-Staind
-Static-X
-System of a Down
-Slipknot

Death Metal
- Amon Amarth

Thrash Metal
-Metallica
-Megadeth
-Slayer
-Havok
-Exodus

"Doom" Metal
-Ghost

NWOBH:
-Iron Maiden
- Motorhead

Punk Rock/Metal
-Suicidal Tendencies

JRA
06-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Classic:
Maiden
Priest
Sabbath (With Ozzy and Dio)
Dio solo
Ozzy solo

Thrash:
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Overkill
Pantera

Modern metal that sucks
Opeth
Arch Enemy
Lamb of God
Dimmu Borgir

Modern metal that doesn't suck:
High On Fire

Black metal:
Immortal

IrritatedTrout
06-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Wait, you've seen Pantera live? I thought we were roughly the same age. :eyes:

JRA
06-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Wait, you've seen Pantera live? I thought we were roughly the same age. :eyes:

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-02-2014, 09:23 PM
I have seen so many shows, but for the life of me I can't figure them out by genres. If someone sets up a definitive list of genres to use I could probably figure out.

That seems like something fun and challenging to do, I think I will try to work on one......

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Motley Crue
KISS (if one considers them eligible)
Queensryche
Alice Cooper (haven't seen him yet, but am going to in couple of months so I figured I'd go ahead but him on here)

And that's it....I need to get to some more "classic" shows. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Helloween, Scorpions, Blind Guardian, and HammerFall are on my bucket list.

dcmetal108
06-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Motley Crue
KISS (if one considers them eligible)
Queensryche
Alice Cooper (haven't seen him yet, but am going to in couple of months so I figured I'd go ahead but him on here)

And that's it....I need to get to some more "classic" shows. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Helloween, Scorpions, Blind Guardian, and HammerFall are on my bucket list.

It's good to have some unachievable goals. Might as well have the original Doors lineup, Pantera, and Hendrix to add to that.

ravenheart
06-03-2014, 02:31 AM
:lol: At some people's definition of "classic". Bands that have been around for five minutes (Ghost) really don't count.

'70s Classic Rock:
Deep Purple
Aerosmith
KISS
AC/DC
Alice Cooper
UFO
Whitesnake
Bad Company
Meat Loaf
Ted Nugent

'80s Classic Rock:
Bon Jovi
Guns N' Roses
Thunder
Bryan Adams
The Cult
Europe
L.A. Guns
Skid Row
Motley Crue
The Quireboys
Winger

Thrash:
Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Testament
Slayer
Exodus
Overkill
Voivod
Kreator
Destruction
Sepultura
Death Angel
Annihilator
Tankard
Onslaught

Classic Metal:
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Heaven & Hell
Dio
Ozzy Osbourne
Saxon
Helloween
Motorhead
Accept
U.D.O.
Demon
Doro
Gamma Ray
King Diamond
Queensryche
W.A.S.P.

Grunge/'90s:
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
The Almighty
Ugly Kid Joe
Warrior Soul

Doom:
Candlemass
Cathedral
Pentagram
Saint Vitus
Paradise Lost

Blues:
Buddy Guy
Johnny Winter
Walter Trout

Southern Rock:
ZZ Top
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Blackfoot
Molly Hatchet
The Black Crowes

Extreme Metal:
Celtic Frost
Carcass
Obituary

Onioner
06-03-2014, 04:09 AM
It's good to have some unachievable goals. Might as well have the original Doors lineup, Pantera, and Hendrix to add to that.

How are Scorpions and Blind Guardian unachievable at all? Scorps basically said they're not retiring anymore, so I'm sure they'll be back in a year or two. BG always do a NA tour whenever they come out with a new album and they're due for one this year. BG are totally awesome live, seeing them in 2010 will always be one of my favorite high school adventures, and I'm sure TWATTY will have a great time when they drop by once again.

I tried just now to make a list and I got wrapped up in genre bullshit and what the definition of "classic" is. Basically I've seen a lot of thrash, a lot of classic metal/'70s metal/NWOBHM, a good amount of sludge/stoner/doom and a surprisingly high amount of death metal. I do need to up my black metal numbers however.

AnthG
06-03-2014, 06:28 AM
I just go see bands I like. I've seen like Maiden, and Metallica, and Alice in Chains and stuff though.

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-03-2014, 07:16 AM
:lol: At some people's definition of "classic". Bands that have been around for five minutes (Ghost) really don't count.

'70s Classic Rock:
Ted Nugent

'80s Classic Rock:
Bon Jovi
L.A. Guns
Winger

I've seen these as well, didn't know if I should count them or not.

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-03-2014, 07:17 AM

yea, exactly how is that unachievable?

mastodon421
06-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Big 4:
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax

Second-Tier '80s thrash:
Death Angel
Overkill

Traditional Heavy Metal:
Motorhead

Groove Metal:
Machine Head

Classic Death/Melodic Death Metal:
Suffocation
Dying Fetus
Obituary
Cannibal Corpse
Vital Remains
In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Children of Bodom
Amon Amarth

Nu/Alternative/Industrial Metal:
System of a Down
Slipknot
Korn
Rob Zombie
Rammstein
Disturbed
Marilyn Manson
Deftones
Godsmack
Sevendust

Prog Metal:
Cynic
Meshuggah

Grunge:
Alice in Chains

Pop Punk:
blink-182
Green Day

dcmetal108
06-03-2014, 08:06 AM
How are Scorpions and Blind Guardian unachievable at all? Scorps basically said they're not retiring anymore, so I'm sure they'll be back in a year or two. BG always do a NA tour whenever they come out with a new album and they're due for one this year. BG are totally awesome live, seeing them in 2010 will always be one of my favorite high school adventures, and I'm sure TWATTY will have a great time when they drop by once again.

I tried just now to make a list and I got wrapped up in genre bullshit and what the definition of "classic" is. Basically I've seen a lot of thrash, a lot of classic metal/'70s metal/NWOBHM, a good amount of sludge/stoner/doom and a surprisingly high amount of death metal. I do need to up my black metal numbers however.

I though last Scorps tour was their last? And I don't ever remember seeing a BG tour hitting US.

AnthG
06-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Blind Guardian tours the US, just not very often. They do one US tour for each album before dissapearing for 4 years.

Onioner
06-03-2014, 09:35 AM
I though last Scorps tour was their last? And I don't ever remember seeing a BG tour hitting US.

Scorpions pretty much trolled everyone, they're not retiring anymore. They'll be back. And yeah, Blind Guardian have toured here once every four years since 2002. You can actually find lots of gig reports on this site from the 2006 and 2010 tours. Their setlists from 2010 onwards have been awesome, tons and tons of badass fan-favorites rotated in and out, on top of the 7-8 classics.

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Scorpions pretty much trolled everyone, they're not retiring anymore. They'll be back. And yeah, Blind Guardian have toured here once every four years since 2002. You can actually find lots of gig reports on this site from the 2006 and 2010 tours. Their setlists from 2010 onwards have been awesome, tons and tons of badass fan-favorites rotated in and out, on top of the 7-8 classics.

Yea, a couple of their recent sets I've looked real good, they just need "A Past And Future Secret" and "Somewhere Far Beyond". It's also nice that they are closing with Valhalla now rather than Mirror, Mirror.

John The Drummer
06-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Thrash
Slayer
Anthrax
Testament
Exodus
Death Angel
Metal Church (I KNOW< NOT STRAIGHT UP THRASH)
Kreator

Death
Morbid Angel
Suffocation
Cannibal Corpse
Grave
Autopsy

Black
Mayhem
Marduk
Enslaved
Agalloch (Sorry for not giving them a "Blackened Shoe Gaze Atmospheric 666 Pantera" group with Alcest)

Nu/That 90's Era Where Bands Were Kinda Meh
Slipknot
Disturbed
Rob Zombie

"Classics"
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

Proggy Metal
BTBAM
Meshuggah
Cynic

Doom
Saint Vitus

Grind
Haemorrhage
Nasum

AnthG
06-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Slipknot
Disturbed
Rob Zombie

It's funny how Numetal is referred to as a 90s fad even though a lot of the popular bands didn't really do anything until 2000 onwards. Slipknot's first album was out in 1999, which I guess counts, but Disturbed, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, etc. all started releasing albums afterwards in the 2000s.

Dextrimental
06-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Thrash

Metallica
Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth
Exodus
Testament
Death Angel
Kreator
SacredReich

Death

Death (DTA)
Suffocation
Cannibal Corpse
Carcass

Nu Metal

Slipknot
Korn
Limp Bizkit
Papa Roach

Progressive Metal

Dream Theater
Mastodon
Opeth

Glam

Guns N Roses
Motley Crue

Heavy Metal

Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Twisted Sister

Rock

Motorhead
Aerosmith
KISS
Thin Lizzy

Most definitely some I'm forgetting, but that's most of them.

John The Drummer
06-03-2014, 10:40 AM
It's funny how Numetal is referred to as a 90s fad even though a lot of the popular bands didn't really do anything until 2000 onwards. Slipknot's first album was out in 1999, which I guess counts, but Disturbed, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, etc. all started releasing albums afterwards in the 2000s.

:lol: True , good point :lol:
When I think Nu Metal I think Limp Bizkit which reminds me of the 90s :)

BTW, gotta add Kreator to the Thrash List, always forget about them :lol:

ravenheart
06-03-2014, 10:59 AM
I've seen these as well, didn't know if I should count them or not.

I think they're valid. I mean, this is about big artists who have been around for a while, etc. right?

John The Drummer
06-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Thrash
Slayer
Anthrax
Testament
Exodus
Death Angel
Metal Church (I KNOW< NOT STRAIGHT UP THRASH)
Kreator

Death
Morbid Angel
Suffocation
Cannibal Corpse
Grave
Autopsy

Black
Mayhem
Marduk
Enslaved
Agalloch (Sorry for not giving them a "Blackened Shoe Gaze Atmospheric 666 Pantera" group with Alcest)

Slipknot
Disturbed
Rob Zombie

"Classics"
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

Proggy Metal
BTBAM
Meshuggah
Cynic

Doom
Saint Vitus

Grind
Haemorrhage
Nasum

Forgot that I've seen Limp Bizkit too (WrestleMania XIX :party: )

marker
06-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Forgot that I've seen Limp Bizkit too (WrestleMania XIX :party: )

They're classic for sure. :tpaper:

John The Drummer
06-03-2014, 07:05 PM
They're classic for sure. :tpaper:

They sure made the Nu/Rap Metal thing mainstream... gotta give them that ;)

GarageMetal468
06-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I'll just go with thrash at the moment:

Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Slayer
Testament
Overkill
Death Angel
Sacrifice
Dark Angel
Exhorder
Coroner
Nuclear Assault
Sacred Reich
Exodus
Kreator
Destruction
Tankard
Artillery
Voivod
Sepultura
Heathen
Morbid Saint
Forbidden
Onslaught

Christen
06-05-2014, 01:22 AM
Classic Metal
Black Sabbath
Ozzy Osbourne
Thin Lizzy (All though this just barely makes it since the line up was so vastly different)

Shock Rock
Alice Cooper
KISS
Rob Zombie

Glam
Motley Crue (I can add Def Leppard to this list next month)

New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

Thrash
Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Testament
Exodus
Death Angel

Progressive Rock/Metal
RUSH
Dream Theater

Groove Metal
Lamb of God

Other than that, no one else I would really consider "classic".

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-05-2014, 06:08 AM
Classic Metal
Black Sabbath
Ozzy Osbourne
Thin Lizzy (All though this just barely makes it since the line up was so vastly different)

Shock Rock
Alice Cooper
KISS
Rob Zombie

Glam
Motley Crue (I can add Def Leppard to this list next month)

New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

Thrash
Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Testament
Exodus
Death Angel

Progressive Rock/Metal
RUSH
Dream Theater

Groove Metal
Lamb of God

Other than that, no one else I would really consider "classic".

totally forgot Def Leppard, seen them twice to.

illuminatus917
06-16-2014, 09:13 PM
I was talking with a young woman the other day. She was very attractive, engaging, witty, a few other things most women aren't, and she told me that guys couldn’t really love. It was a bit more complicated: she said she was writing about John Green’s The Fault In Our Stars, a powerful love story with a male character who clearly does love. She told me that such a story is totally false and unrealistic, and that she believes guys are incapable of love and that such stories only serve to give women false hope about the possibility of love (and perhaps make them easier “prey” for these guys who cannot love).

In my finite experience, for whatever worth it is, I think this belief is shared by many, many women.

My question: From where does this notion that guys are somehow different emotionally come? I’m not interested in defending the emotional capabilities of men, as I have no grounds to do so – John Green does at least as good a job as I ever could. I’m interested in how such a misunderstanding of human beings originates and then spreads. Or considering that I attempt (maybe fail, but at least attempt) to see humans first, and gender a distant second, perhaps I’m wrong. Are guys really incapable of the kind of love preached by Green or by Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks films?

mankvill
06-16-2014, 09:23 PM
my question of the week was "what kind of ice cream do you associate with certain bands" but I guess that's an okay question too

slapguitarer
06-16-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure exactly where this woman was coming from, but I think part of pop culture right now is centered around both men and women who can't really "love" right. There's plenty of things about men who cheat and women too. I mean, Chris Brown's "Loyal" is one of the biggest hits out right now. But I think for a long time, there's been a large stipulation that men kind of just seek to have sex with as many women as possible, and aren't biologically meant to stick with one woman and love her forever. I personally can't speak from experience, but I'd like to think both men and women are capable of loving on the level that many movies portray.

es156
06-16-2014, 09:40 PM
My question: From where does this notion that guys are somehow different emotionally come?

My question: what on earth makes you think that men and women aren't different emotionally? They may share some common ground but the programming is almost entirely different.

my question of the week was "what kind of ice cream do you associate with certain bands" but I guess that's an okay question too

:lol:

Natrlhi
06-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Yeah, Eric is spot on. Men and women are often on completely different pages - hence the popularity of - and truth behind - a multitude of books such as the "Mars & Venus" series. There's no doubt about it. We are programmed differently from birth, and society tends to widen the gap even further as we age.

One of the most interesting courses I ever took in college was an elective that was far outside my major (which was engineering) - it was a philosophy course about ethics, and the entire second half of the semester we dissected a book called "In a Different Voice" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_a_Different_Voice), which focuses on how men and women approach ethical questions differently based on their own specific belief systems. It was fascinating stuff, because the studies cited in the book often referred to observations that were made of very young children...before the world around them had a chance to influence their views on things. There was a ton of very convincing evidence presented to support the theory that boys and girls are wired differently from birth.

Having said all that, I know for a fact that men can love on a very deep level. I'm not familiar enough with the story behind "The Fault in Our Stars" to comment on whether men can love the way that the story describes, but I tend to think that the answer is most likely "yes". The key difference between genders, perhaps, is the way in which that love manifests itself in the physical world. For a man, it may be a fierce protective instinct. For a woman, it may be more of a nurturing behavior. Trust and believe, though - men can love on a very deep level.

Tell your friend not to lose heart. All is not lost. She just needs to keep on looking. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of millions of men out there who don't aspire to love at the highest level, and all they want to do is mate and conquer - but we're definitely not all that way.

EDIT: Oh, and to Manks's question - I associate Clutch with Rocky Road ice cream.

ravenheart
06-17-2014, 08:44 AM
It's a classic case of entirely different routes to the same end. That is all.

Now stop being pussies. And that includes discussing ice cream ;)

Natrlhi
06-17-2014, 09:07 AM
It's a classic case of entirely different routes to the same end. That is all.
That's a much less cynical answer than I'd have expected from you - methinks you might be slipping.

Now stop being pussies. And that includes discussing ice cream ;)

...and he's back.

illuminatus917
06-17-2014, 12:09 PM
My question: what on earth makes you think that men and women aren't different emotionally?

I'm not convinced the emotions both genders feel are different, only the way they're manifested.

I think Natrlhi hit that point pretty well in his comment.

Obviously neither gender can prove the other gender feels a particular emotion differently than they do, because emotions can't be quantified. Women can't say, "men aren't capable of feeling love," at least without being presumptuous, because there's no qualitative foundation upon which they can say such a thing, because they're incapable of empathizing. I pointed this out to the young lady I was talking to. I'm just curious about this perception and why it's shared by so many women - why so many women feel so adamantly that men are incapable of feeling love.

Maybe they're just jaded.

I mean, I've said before that I don't know if love exists or not. In a generalized agnostic sort of way. That's one thing. But I've never said one gender can feel something and another gender can't. Then again if so many women hold this belief maybe it's not without foundation. Maybe they have reasons to believe that are more substantive than I can understand.

It was fascinating stuff, because the studies cited in the book often referred to observations that were made of very young children...before the world around them had a chance to influence their views on things. There was a ton of very convincing evidence presented to support the theory that boys and girls are wired differently from birth.

I'm surprised the university you attended wasn't succumbing to the pressures of radical feminist idealism and trying to sell the notion that males and females are identical except for the ability to bear children. Wasn't that the prevailing popular/trendy belief of the sixties and seventies? ;)

PVH5150
06-17-2014, 12:14 PM
"what kind of ice cream do you associate with certain bands"

Living Colour - Chocolate

John The Drummer
06-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Living Colour - Chocolate

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/135/sw50sw8sw578.gif

Dextrimental
06-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah, Eric is spot on. Men and women are often on completely different pages - hence the popularity of - and truth behind - a multitude of books such as the "Mars & Venus" series. There's no doubt about it. We are programmed differently from birth, and society tends to widen the gap even further as we age.

One of the most interesting courses I ever took in college was an elective that was far outside my major (which was engineering) - it was a philosophy course about ethics, and the entire second half of the semester we dissected a book called "In a Different Voice" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_a_Different_Voice), which focuses on how men and women approach ethical questions differently based on their own specific belief systems. It was fascinating stuff, because the studies cited in the book often referred to observations that were made of very young children...before the world around them had a chance to influence their views on things. There was a ton of very convincing evidence presented to support the theory that boys and girls are wired differently from birth.

Having said all that, I know for a fact that men can love on a very deep level. I'm not familiar enough with the story behind "The Fault in Our Stars" to comment on whether men can love the way that the story describes, but I tend to think that the answer is most likely "yes". The key difference between genders, perhaps, is the way in which that love manifests itself in the physical world. For a man, it may be a fierce protective instinct. For a woman, it may be more of a nurturing behavior. Trust and believe, though - men can love on a very deep level.

Tell your friend not to lose heart. All is not lost. She just needs to keep on looking. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of millions of men out there who don't aspire to love at the highest level, and all they want to do is mate and conquer - but we're definitely not all that way.

EDIT: Oh, and to Manks's question - I associate Clutch with Rocky Road ice cream.

Largely, this.

I think as well that sexual orientation plays a roll here too; the large overlap between extremely flamboyant gay culture and typical women's culture exists for a reason and indicates a dichotomy of genders is not the only way to define how someone is emotionally.

Loving another person is something I believe all well-minded people can do, regardless of gender/sexual orientation. How they manifest that love differs from person to person and from gender to gender and from whatever to whatever. No-one here has definitive experience dealing with the human race; social scientists can study this their entire career and still not boast such a thing, but rest assured there's over 3 billion on either side; there is someone, somewhere who is capable of loving your friend. Disillusionment is unfortunately common, but find the right circles with people who are kicking the right jams and you'll find what you're looking for.

The Fault In Our Stars is a great book, though I feel she may be hung up on one element of the story and selling it a little short. Great film, too.

PVH5150
06-17-2014, 05:43 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/135/sw50sw8sw578.gif

But it's ok. Two of my Facebook friends are black.

Natrlhi
06-17-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm surprised the university you attended wasn't succumbing to the pressures of radical feminist idealism and trying to sell the notion that males and females are identical except for the ability to bear children. Wasn't that the prevailing popular/trendy belief of the sixties and seventies? ;)
I wouldn't know anything about that - I was in elementary school in the 70's, so my view on females back then was that they were evil and to be avoided at all costs, unless you could put gum in their hair or a dead frog in their bag and get away with it without getting caught.

Hey, wait - maybe I had the right idea back then.

mankvill
06-27-2014, 10:54 PM
New Question: Who's the best frontman you've seen? (Metal or otherwise)

Talking about on-stage performance/antics/personality only.

Obvious ones that come to mind are Bruce Dickinson, Peelander Yellow, Jason Keyser of Origin, Greg Puciato, and Frank Mullen.

But some other less obvious ones are Eddie Argos of Art Brut, Wino (old dude can still stage dive!), Ben from Goatwhore, John Kevill from Warbringer and some others I can't quite remember.

NOW YOUR TURN!

MPF
06-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Devin Townsend

/Quest Of the Week

ravenheart
06-28-2014, 02:02 AM
Obviously Bruce is up there. Danny Bowes, Steven Tyler, Bobby Ellsworth.

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-28-2014, 05:42 AM
Gary Cherone, hands down.

adamclark52
06-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Frank "the Tank" Mullen

PVH5150
06-28-2014, 06:40 AM
David Lee Roth for onstage antics.
Dave Meniketti for musicianship.
Mikael Akerfeldt for in between song banter.

BRAman22
06-28-2014, 07:17 AM
Gotta be either Bruce or Greg Puciato.

JRA
06-28-2014, 07:31 AM
1. Bruce
2. Blitz

marker
06-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Probaly Steven Tyler and Paul Stanley.

moobys37
06-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Metal/Punk: Bruce, Dio, Frank Mullen Hand Chops, Thomas Lindberg
Other: Michael Gira, Zola Jesus, Cat Power, Jonsi

slapguitarer
06-28-2014, 12:35 PM
George Clarke number 1. Honorable mentions: "Dixie" Dave Collins, Lee Speilman, Bruce Dickinson, Greg Puciato

PowerMaiden
06-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Bruce Dickinson

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
06-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Bruce Dickinson

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Yep:powerslav

adamclark52
06-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Metal/Punk: Bruce, Dio, Frank Mullen Hand Chops, Thomas Lindberg
Other: Michael Gira, Zola Jesus, Cat Power, Jonsi

Really, from Sigur Ros?

moobys37
06-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Really, from Sigur Ros?

I thought I was gonna get shit for Cat Power before Jonsi hahaha. It's definitely nostalgia as Sigur Ros was the first show I ever saw at age 12 and was captivated the entire time. I've definitely seen better frontmen and women but it's a bit like Final Fantasy, the first one you play (or in this case see) will always be up there.

larvtard
06-28-2014, 01:20 PM

Are you saying you don't believe that?

adamclark52
06-28-2014, 01:53 PM
I thought I was gonna get shit for Cat Power before Jonsi hahaha. It's definitely nostalgia as Sigur Ros was the first show I ever saw at age 12 and was captivated the entire time. I've definitely seen better frontmen and women but it's a bit like Final Fantasy, the first one you play (or in this case see) will always be up there.

No, I actually really like Sigur Ros. I just never thought of Jonsi when the question was asked.

AnthG
06-29-2014, 01:02 AM
Jimmy Urine from Mindless Self Indulgence. He's at the very least the most unique of who i've seen.

The Colonel
06-29-2014, 03:57 AM
For Phoenix it would have to be Flotsam & Jetsam or Sacred Reich.

dcmetal108
06-29-2014, 08:05 AM
Greg from DEP
Jason from letlive
Keith from ETID
Scott Vogal for his banner and love of forcing everyone to stagedive
Singer from Backtrack
Justice from Trapped Under Ice
Dude from Turnstile

mastodon421
06-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Metal:
Trevor Strnad
Devin Townsend
Tony Foresta
Greg Puicatio
Scott Vogel
Jason Butler
Keith Buckley
Tommy Rodgers
Rody Walker
Corey Taylor
Frank Mullen
Jamey Jasta
Kyle "Gumby" Gunther
John Henry
Chino Moreno
Randy Blythe
Robb Flynn
David Davidson
Trevor Phipps
Johan Hegg
Levi Benton

Non-Metal:
Billie Joe Armstrong
Dan "Soupy" Campbell

kalfitegrdan
06-30-2014, 01:00 AM
Off the top of my head, John from Weekend Nachos, Decrepit Bill from Decrepit Birth, obviously Frank Mullen.

Natrlhi
06-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Ahem.

http://www.myword.it/img/2008/07/original_big_jens_kidman_10_600xfree.jpg

mankvill
06-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Ahem.

http://www.myword.it/img/2008/07/original_big_jens_kidman_10_600xfree.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2hnquc3.jpg

Natrlhi
06-30-2014, 04:22 PM
...and then there's this guy, who told death to fuck off...and it obeyed.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/291/3/5/nergal_02_by_kobaru-d4d7gv2.jpg

Natrlhi
06-30-2014, 04:33 PM
New Question: Who's the best frontman you've seen? (Metal or otherwise)
http://www.bravewords.com/static/medias/images/news/48709.jpg
I've got your "FRONTMAN" right here, bitch!

Natrlhi
06-30-2014, 04:41 PM
...and oh yeah:

http://heavymetalhomesteading.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/chuck.jpg?w=302

El Gordo
06-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Nat, all those pics of Blitz that you're posting really don't look like Blitz! This is the only logical conclusion I can come to, since the only answer to Manks' current question is indeed, BLITZ.

Natrlhi
07-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Nat, all those pics of Blitz that you're posting really don't look like Blitz! This is the only logical conclusion I can come to, since the only answer to Manks' current question is indeed, BLITZ.
I never really got into Overkill that much. Heard them, liked them, even saw them live, but never paid much attention to them beyond buying one or two of their cassettes back in the day. The show where I saw them was headlined by Motorhead, and if you ask me, Lemmy is as much of a legendary frontman as anyone ever was. Unfortunately, they've been doing the exact same thing for several decades now, thus I rarely listen to them anymore either.

Nausea
07-01-2014, 11:00 AM
...and oh yeah:

http://heavymetalhomesteading.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/chuck.jpg?w=302

/thread. next question? :)

mankvill
07-07-2014, 01:46 PM
NEW QUESTION: What's your thoughts on moshing/pit activity at shows?

What is acceptable?

When is it acceptable?

Can it go too far?

Stage diving, moshing, skanking, hardcore dancing, crowd surfing - what are your thoughts on everything?!

adamclark52
07-07-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm torn on moshing. I think it makes for a good visual and I'm sure the bands appreciate it. But I'm weak like a kitten so I never partake. I also like standing close to the stage, so I do getbumped here and there. That's my fault though so I can't complain about that.

I don't understand all those hardcore kids swinging chairs and punching the air. And I don't understand how some people can nosh to ANYTHING. I can see it at a death metal or thrash show, but I saw guys moshing to Agalloch the other day and that was weird. I don't know where some of these kids get their energy to go for an entire show. I guess alcohol.

So overall I guess I don't like it but I can appreciate it and don't want to see it ever go away.

slapguitarer
07-07-2014, 01:59 PM

What is acceptable?

When is it acceptable?

Can it go too far?

Stage diving, moshing, skanking, hardcore dancing, crowd surfing - what are your thoughts on everything?!

Push moshing is the only form of moshing I'll ever really tolerate. I guess crowd surfing too but only do it if you're near the stage. I don't care for hardcore dancing or hate moshing at all that stuff is dumb and selfish.

That being said, moshing should only be at thrash, death metal, hardcore and like metalcore shows. I'm sick of seeing moshing at black metal, sludge metal and doom metal shows it doesn't even make sense.

MPF
07-07-2014, 01:59 PM
I totally get why people do it. I don't participate because I know I'd get my ass kicked in a pit.

hate moshing is the stupidest shit, and it is great seeing pit ninjas getting knocked out by moshers who wanna do it right.

But as far as moshing, do it right. Depending on the venue, you go clockwise or counter clockwise (around here it's usually counter-clockwise), don't bring in people who don't want in, and enjoy yourself without being a piece of shit.

John The Drummer
07-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Moshing is cool as long as it isn't full of drunk dude-bros who think moshing's goal is to injure everyone around you. Hardcore dancing, stage diving, hate moshing etc etc is fine as long as the people in it respect those who do not want to be involved. I am not a fan of any of that alternative stuff, but if that's what people enjoy, then more power to them.

I don't mosh because I weigh 145lbs wet and know, as Josh said, I would get my ass kicked. I tend to just stand near the back at shows now a days anyways because I am too paranoid about injuring myself and having to take a break from drumming :lol:

PVH5150
07-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I don't mosh. Too fat, too lazy & don't feel like risking injury with no insurance.

That being said, more power to those who enjoy it.

Nausea
07-07-2014, 02:39 PM
I use to be into stage diving, crowd surfing, and just general moshing... I think I might be getting too old for it though.

smearCampaign
07-07-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm in the same boat as most of you: I don't mosh, but I'm ok with it if it's done right at the appropriate show.

Ommie
07-07-2014, 03:17 PM
inb4 dcmetal talks about how much he loves stage diving and punching people in the nose

ravenheart
07-07-2014, 05:05 PM

Dumb. Shows are for watching bands play. If you're not going to watch the band then stay home, turn the stereo up, and push your friends around your bedroom.

Wise man once said: crowd surfing is an infringement on my good time.

illuminatus917
07-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Dumb. Shows are for watching bands play.

I echo this sentiment.

slapguitarer
07-07-2014, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't go that far. While I prefer shows in which that happens, I can't lie when I say I felt really weirded out when I went to see Meshuggah last month and the crowd was fairly static.

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Dumb. Shows are for watching bands play.

I double echo this statement.

AnthG
07-08-2014, 02:38 AM
I'm all for it, even though I haven't partaken in it in some time. Last time I really moshed I was like 17 or 18 or something, and that was usually just from losing my place near the front after getting fuckin squished. Now most of the time I just stand near the back or side and headbang a little.

I used to really hate the hardcore kick dancing, but don't really care anymore so much as they just stay out of people's way. Plus, i'm sure all the hardcore kids think push moshing is stupid. The worst is when a band or show attracts both types of people and people try to mix the push moshing with the kick dancing. That's how injuries happen, kids.