PDA

View Full Version : The Resident Evil ThREad

John The Drummer
05-06-2014, 10:26 AM
I was wanting to do a thread similar to adamclark's "History of Final Fantasy" thread, but just didn't feel I'd have the time or patience to commit to it... so why not just make a thread about Resident Evil for everyone to discuss :)

I recently picked up the DS port of the first Resident Evil, and besides the terrible dialog and backtracking, this was such a classic game and such a great start to one of the most entertaining video game series' ever (IMO). It really gave you the feeling of doom when you'd be out of ammo adn green herbs and all you could do was run through each hallway in hope that no zombies would catch you!

mankvill
05-06-2014, 10:30 AM
My first Resident Evil game was Code Veronica for the Dreamcast when I was like 12 and it scared me WAY too badly that I eventually returned it. Now that I'm not as much of a big babby with scary videogames, I'd like to give the RE series a try again, but the old ones aren't on consoles that I have.

John The Drummer
05-06-2014, 10:33 AM
My first Resident Evil game was Code Veronica for the Dreamcast when I was like 12 and it scared me WAY too badly that I eventually returned it. Now that I'm not as much of a big babby with scary videogames, I'd like to give the RE series a try again, but the old ones aren't on consoles that I have.

:lol: Code Veronica kicked so much ass... and was definitely creepy as fuck! That dude... Alfred was it? (the guy who dressed as his sister)... yeah... that was so funny, but so WTF at the same time... and Wesker kicked ass (forgot if he was in the original DC version, but definitely was CV:X on PS2)

mankvill
05-06-2014, 10:34 AM
My step-dad had a Gamecube and he had RE:4 and that seemed pretty fun. If I was to go back and play one, it'd probably be 4.

John The Drummer
05-06-2014, 11:18 AM
My step-dad had a Gamecube and he had RE:4 and that seemed pretty fun. If I was to go back and play one, it'd probably be 4.

IT WAS SO HARD THO!!!! (or as myf riend put it, I just suck at video games :lol: ). Really a great game, though. Those chainsaw guys, though :eek:

adamclark52
05-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Being the huge pussy I am I was done with Resident Evil after that part in RE2 when the "licker-zombie" jumped through the one-way mirror.

The controls also killed me and the ammo issue.

I prefer PG-rated games with cute Moogles, buxom dimwits and stock dialogue.

Epidemic Reign
05-06-2014, 12:05 PM
The part that always scared the hell out of me as a kid was when you had to take the key off of Forest's (the guy who was pecked to death by crows) body in RE1.

Oh, and Hunters. When you return to the mansion after destroying Plant 42 and you know there's going to be Hunters... fffffffuuuuuuuuuu

John The Drummer
05-06-2014, 01:17 PM
The part that always scared the hell out of me as a kid was when you had to take the key off of Forest's (the guy who was pecked to death by crows) body in RE1.

Oh, and Hunters. When you return to the mansion after destroying Plant 42 and you know there's going to be Hunters... fffffffuuuuuuuuuu

Thanks for the reminder... I just got to Plant 42 :eyes:
Having some issues finding the chemicals to mix to kill him.... hope emptying out the flooded basement didn't ruin my chances! (its been years since I've played this....)

ravenheart
05-06-2014, 04:34 PM
First RE > all other games ever

John The Drummer
05-06-2014, 05:05 PM
First RE > all other games ever

Richard's death scene will forever go down as one of the most awkward back and forth moments in video game history :lol:

HackedUpForBBQ
05-07-2014, 12:32 AM
IT WAS SO HARD THO!!!! (or as myf riend put it, I just suck at video games :lol: ). Really a great game, though. Those chainsaw guys, though :eek:

I remember that you really had to go for head shots in that game or else you'd run out of ammo and be screwed. 4 was awesome to play on the Wii because it was all free aim.... wherever you pointed the remote is where you shot. I remember when you fought that dude with the trench coat in that barn and finally saw what kind of monstrosity he really was.... terrifying! That being said, I think 4 was the beginning of the downfall for this series. I prefer the original control style and the ability to free roam around one big world rather than the game being broken up into missions. My buddy and I were just talking about replaying all of the Silent Hill games..... now we may have to start with RE too! Damn did we play these a lot as kids

AnthG
05-07-2014, 07:40 AM
The only game in the series i've played was Resident Evil 4 on the Playstation 2. I never finished the game but it was good times.

ravenheart
05-07-2014, 07:58 AM
4 is probably my second favourite after 1. I liked 2, a lot, and the storyline reversal idea was awesome, but it was just too easy.

I have loved all of them though. Even Operation: Raccoon City has its moments. Thus far I have:

1 - PS1
1 - PC
1 - PSP download
2 - PS1
2 - PC
Code Veronica X HD - Xbox 360 download
3 - PSP download
3 - PS1
3 - PSP download
4 - PC
4 HD - Xbox 360 download
5 - PC
5 - Xbox 360
Operation: Raccoon City
6 - Xbox 360
Revelations - Xbox 360

John The Drummer
05-07-2014, 09:41 AM
I remember when you fought that dude with the trench coat in that barn and finally saw what kind of monstrosity he really was.... terrifying!

That guy was AWESOME! :rocker:

OH SHIT NO WAY!!!!!!!! I need to get on that, I absolutely loved that game, especially Nosferatu (The dad of the brother/sister), he was so friggin eerie.

I think if I were to rate the ones I've played from favorite to least it'd go....

RE2
RE:CVX
RE1
RE1 REmake
RE3
RE4

And then Dead Aim, Umbrella Chronicles and Survivor would be on there somewhere as well, just never put much time into those, but remember them still being a load of fun.

smearCampaign
05-07-2014, 10:18 AM
RE4 on the Wii was actually an excellent port. Being able to aim with the remote was surprisingly really solid and made it a ton of fun, unlike most of the poorly thought out Wii ports.

ravenheart
05-07-2014, 02:46 PM
4 is twice as good as 3. You're high drummer boy ;)

John The Drummer
05-07-2014, 03:13 PM
4 is twice as good as 3. You're high drummer boy ;)

:lol: I never got very far in 4 and just gave up on it after a while because I sucked at it... played the shit aout of 3, though, which is why i ranked it higher. I am sure if I play 4 again then I'd rate it higher (maybe I"ll download it on my 360 ;) )

HackedUpForBBQ
05-07-2014, 11:57 PM
4 is probably my second favourite after 1. I liked 2, a lot, and the storyline reversal idea was awesome, but it was just too easy.

I have loved all of them though. Even Operation: Raccoon City has its moments. Thus far I have:

1 - PS1
1 - PC
1 - PSP download
2 - PS1
2 - PC
3 - PSP download
3 - PS1
3 - PSP download
4 - PC
4 HD - Xbox 360 download
5 - PC
5 - Xbox 360
Operation: Raccoon City
6 - Xbox 360
Revelations - Xbox 360

Nice! This is my collection:
1 - Saturn
2 - N64
3 - Dreamcast
CV - Dreamcast
Zero - Wii
1 Remake - Wii
4 - Wii
5 - 360
O: RC - 360
6 - 360
Revelations - 360

Obviously I've always loved this series but everything after CV eats the dick of the ones that came before. They didn't feel like Resident Evil games but rather modern action games and I think the story has gotten too ridiculous. Hell, Revelations had more plot twists than an M Night Shyamalan movie. Neo Umbrella? C'mon! Give me zombies any day over the Uroboros and all the other crap. And if Albert Wesker ends up surviving being hurled into a volcano by two rockets, I call extreme shenanigans and say that Chris and the others should just give it up.

John The Drummer
05-08-2014, 09:35 AM
How was Revelations as a whole? Does it fit in with the main story or is it just a SIDE side game? I've rarely ever heard it brought up, so curious abuot it.

ravenheart
05-08-2014, 09:56 AM
I thought it fit in quite nicely with the RE6 story.

These were my thoughts on the 360 port: http://gaming.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/1799/resident-evil-revelations.html

SomewhereInTime72
05-09-2014, 10:23 PM
RE4 was my favorite for a long time... but ultimately...

After replaying a bunch of the RE games I have to say REmake is the best of them all. There's just no game quite like it. One of the best of all time in my opinion. :cool:

John The Drummer
05-12-2014, 09:31 AM
RE4 was my favorite for a long time... but ultimately...

After replaying a bunch of the RE games I have to say REmake is the best of them all. There's just no game quite like it. One of the best of all time in my opinion. :cool:

The graphics in that are better than a lot of games today! So dark and eerie.

So I am playing the RE1 DS port... and totally F'd in the A. In a safe room, but there are 2 Hunters in the hallway outside, I'm almost dead, only have a couple shotgun shells, and no herbs :bouville: . I wish I had saved it out in the lobby of the mansion, and not in a room, cornering me :bouville:

SomewhereInTime72
05-13-2014, 08:53 PM
YOU ARE DEAD.

SignoftheHammer
08-16-2014, 07:42 AM
Probably my favorite franchise of all time. I even like RE5 and RE6 for what they are. My favorite is probably RE4, followed very closely by the RE1 remake, Code Veronica and RE2.

Personal highlight for me of the entire franchise is RE3 when Nemesis jumps through the window in the police station. I bet that caused underwear sales to go up in all the stores!

John The Drummer
08-16-2014, 09:59 AM
I HATED that moment! :lol:
I played through RE3 SO MANY times, and knew it was coming every single time, yet I would jump or try to avoid it every time I got to that hallway :D

Have you ever just tried running away from him, and having him chase you from room to room? Talk about a classic adrenaline rush! I always played with Gameshark cheats since I sucked at those kinds of games back then, so it was easy to just kill him when he'd show up.

adamclark52
08-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Jesus Christ, I just watched a twenty seven second video on YouTube called "Resident Evil 3 scariest moment" and I still jumped.
I HATE THAT SERIES!!!!!

SignoftheHammer
08-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Have you ever just tried running away from him, and having him chase you from room to room? Talk about a classic adrenaline rush!

In all the times I've played that game, I never once even tried to fight him, I always ran!

John The Drummer
08-16-2014, 10:40 PM
STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mankvill
08-16-2014, 10:45 PM
RE fanbois how do you feel about Silent Hill regaining its throne as the reigning horror videogame franchise?

SignoftheHammer
08-17-2014, 12:19 AM
RE fanbois how do you feel about Silent Hill regaining its throne as the reigning horror videogame franchise?

Given the current state of the Survival Horror genre, I am more than thrilled to see a classic franchise (hopefully) make a return to what made it great in the first place.

RE Revelations was a step in the right direction in terms or horror, but still didn't quite nail it.

ravenheart
08-17-2014, 03:07 AM

Silent Hill games are even still made?

mankvill
08-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Silent Hill games are even still made?

Google "Silent Hills P.T." and get hype

Jochen
10-25-2014, 10:24 PM
REmake is my favorite, definitely looking forward to the updated port or whatever that's coming out. RE4 is probably my second favorite. I thought the style change was very effective, and it was still very scary!