PDA

View Full Version : Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls - July 15

Onioner
04-28-2014, 01:48 AM
The new Priest album is incoming. New song here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhkoNQ-7uRw

First impression: Something sounds really off. Rob's vocals are weirdly reverbed and not very forceful and the guitars sound strangely thin and warbly. The song itself certainly isn't embarrassing though, I'm getting a very Hell Patrol vibe but like, more upbeat. Rob's lyrics also aren't seriously horrible on this one, which hopefully bodes well for the rest of the album. Honestly, the band just sounds really held back or something.

I don't know, I'm hoping that this will be a grower but right now I'm getting the feeling that Priest are finally gonna make their "we're fucking old and can't rip anymore" album. It may not be a bad thing to have just kind of an anthemic super classic metal sounding record, but I was really hoping that they'd tear our heads off with what I'm assuming to be their final album.

Edit: So I just AB'd this with Hell Patrol and Rapid Fire. Something is definitely weird about this song's mix, but I honestly can't put my finger on what exactly. It's like everything is weirdly EQ'd in their own special way and the guitars are way too hard-panned and they all sum up to something that sounds collectively not that great. I'm really really hoping that this song is just a rough mix or is unmastered or something (the fact that you need to crank the track a bit on Youtube is implying the latter), I'd be pretty disappointed if the entire album sounded like this.

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 02:16 AM
I think part of it is down to just being shitty bit-rate. It all sounds tinny and a bit splashy (technical terms), which is a classic symptom of low bit-rate files.

I think what's more significant is it's a really boring song.

Onioner
04-28-2014, 02:35 AM
I think part of it is down to just being shitty bit-rate. It all sounds tinny and a bit splashy (technical terms), which is a classic symptom of low bit-rate files.

I don't doubt that, but just compare this song to something like Point of Entry, which is a sonic masterpiece. There is just zero force or weight to this mix. Glenn's live tone has also been fucked for the last few years, I'm thinking that they slapped an SM57 or something on that and called it a night.

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 03:13 AM
I'm still more concerned that the song sucks ;)

PVH5150
04-28-2014, 03:27 AM
Glenn's live tone has also been fucked for the last few years

This is what happens when you stop using Marshall.

Onioner
04-28-2014, 03:33 AM
I'm still more concerned that the song sucks ;)

I'd honestly take this over half the songs on Nostradamus. Could be a bit of fun live. Now that album is really a damn shame. There's like 40 minutes of just totally badass material on there but the rest is just not good at all.

Piroxen
04-28-2014, 03:44 AM
The song itself is good, but Rob's vocals on chorus are very weak. Feeling pity listening to it.

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 04:58 AM
I'd honestly take this over half the songs on Nostradamus. Could be a bit of fun live. Now that album is really a damn shame. There's like 40 minutes of just totally badass material on there but the rest is just not good at all.

I've always thought Nostradamus without the silly segue tracks is a great album.

Every heavy track on it had better riffs than this new one. Which barely has a riff at all to speak of.

IrritatedTrout
04-28-2014, 05:10 AM
The song was ok but the production was quite poor.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-28-2014, 05:43 AM
What the fuck did they do to this mix? It doesn't bode well that this is the title track imo.

JRA
04-28-2014, 06:02 AM
I dig it. :cool: It does use the same rhythm as Hell Patrol, but you might as well hate Rapid Fire for being too much like of Exciter.

Sanitarium78
04-28-2014, 06:20 AM
I like it. The fact that the song has a similar feel to Hell Patrol gets me thinking this album may have more of a Painkiller vibe to it. I'm not going to get on the production too much since we're just listening to some version of it on youtube.

mankvill
04-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Sounds pretty good. Don't like the millions of effects on Rob's voice during the chorus, but I think I like this song more than most of the stuff on Nostradamus, so that's cool!

MPF
04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
I have no real opinion on the sound of this yet mainly because of the shitty bitrate. But I like the song. It would suck if this is the best on the album, but it's a decent enough single.

smearCampaign
04-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I don't know if it's the bitrate, but the guitars do sound a little thin. The real question that this album will answer is: Can Priest make a good album without the twin riff attack of Tipton/Downing?

John The Drummer
04-28-2014, 11:35 AM
#YOUTUBEQUALITY

sfhui
04-28-2014, 11:36 AM
#YOUTUBEQUALITY

this. really dig this new song

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 12:26 PM
:zzz:

Breaking The Law
04-28-2014, 02:41 PM
I like it, it's not earth shattering but a decent single. Just glad we will have some new Priest soon.

PVH5150
04-28-2014, 02:55 PM
After a proper listen cranked through the headphones on 1080p...

- The rhythm guitar isn't that bad. However, it would've been better with just the guitar straight into the amp. The chorus/flange effect doesn't flatter it.

- The solo (especially the first part) needs to be bumped WAY up in the mix.

- The mix in general sounds weak. As previously mentioned, I'll reserve full judgment until I have the physical copy.

- Albeit no major screams, Rob sounds as good as any 63 year old could hope to sound.

I'm looking forward to the album. Even Priest's most looked down upon works, I enjoy.

TonyD
04-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Alex Lifeson thinks there is too much chorus on the guitars.

TonyD
04-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Seriously, almost everything about this is bad.

PVH5150
05-02-2014, 07:00 AM
"Redeemer of Souls" Track Listing

1. Dragonaut
2. Redeemer of Souls
3. Halls of Valhalla
4. Sword of Damocles
5. March of the Damned
6. Down in Flames
7. Hell & Back
8. Cold Blooded
9. Metalizer
10. Crossfire
11. Secrets of the Dead
12. Battle Cry
13. Beginning of the End

Bonus Tracks
Snakebite
Tears of Blood
Creatures
Bring it On
Never Forget

ravenheart
05-02-2014, 07:57 AM
a) HOW many bonus tracks?!
b) Those look like shitty Manowar song titles

After the first song released turned out so boring, my hopes for this album are dwindling with every announcement.

MetalIsArt
05-02-2014, 07:58 AM
a) HOW many bonus tracks?!
b) Those look like shitty Manowar song titles

After the first sound release turned out so boring, my hopes for this album are dwindling with every announcement.

I agree with the song titles, must listen to the new track.

IrritatedTrout
05-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Seems bloated like the last one.

MetalIsArt
05-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Seems bloated like the last one.

I am Nostradamus :bouville:

SomewhereInTime72
05-03-2014, 06:10 PM
The guitar sound on this is very sadly flaccid. I do like the song quite a bit, riffs melodies even Rob's singing etc. I don't really know enough about the technical side of things because the mix is just very bad. :bouville:

TonyD
05-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Dragonaut

ha

Onioner
05-14-2014, 05:46 AM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/judas-priest-audio-snippet-of-new-song-march-of-the-damned-from-redeemer-of-souls/

30-second snippet of March of the Damned. Sounds like it could be a decent track. Digging the Metal Gods-ish groove a bit. Guitars also sound ten times less shitty here and Rob's voice is now super high-passed instead of super reverbed.

I'm just really hoping they have a balls out ass kicker or two on this album. Priest always rule when they have some speed.

IrritatedTrout
05-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Sounds like it could be better than the single.

Sanitarium78
05-14-2014, 09:03 AM
I don't care for 30 second song clips. Give me the full song or give me nothing.

marker
05-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Sounds like it could be better than the single.

Well I sure as hell hope so, the other song blows.

PVH5150
05-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Official artwork

http://bravewords-public.s3.amazonaws.com/images/p18o0d1b1t7sm3e41q7fm5319654.jpg

IrritatedTrout
05-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Not bad.

Sanitarium78
05-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Is that supposed to be a Metal God?

John The Drummer
05-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Is that supposed to be a Metal God?

I think its an Angel of Retribution... or a Turbo Lover.... :tongue:

Onioner
05-15-2014, 11:57 PM
It's admirable that they're still trying to come up with fun classic album art characters, but man the SfV robo-bird, the DotF mecha-tiger and the Painkiller mop the floor with that guy.

Edit: you know what, at least this dude's better than the Jugulator.

Wrecking Crew
05-16-2014, 07:35 AM
It's admirable that they're still trying to come up with fun classic album art characters, but man the SfV robo-bird, the DotF mecha-tiger and the Painkiller mop the floor with that guy.

Edit: you know what, at least this dude's better than the Jugulator.

I would disagree about the DotF mecha-tiger, I never liked it, even though I had a shirt of it in junior high school back when it came out. Good God I'm old!

SomewhereInTime72
05-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Normally I don't care about 30 second clips at all, but it was nice to hear the guitars not sounding like babies. :D

ravenheart
05-19-2014, 09:13 AM
It's not very "Priest", but I like it a lot. Kicks the shit out of that first song.

Onioner
05-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Full version of March of the Damned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJhm2vZFj2k#t=129

Word on it being much better than Redeemer of Souls. I'm still hoping for a few necksnappers though. Doesn't even have to be fast, just something super compulsively headbangable like The Sentinel or something. If the entire album is made up of songs in the style of March of the Damned and Redeemer of Souls, I think it'll unfortunately end up being really boring.

Travis The Dragon
05-19-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm digging the 2 new songs so far, but I too would like a few fast ones.

SomewhereInTime72
05-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I'm not too excited. This isn't bad by any measure... but I'm just not made excited for the album by these songs.

ravenheart
05-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Me either. But I'm not in the "I want fast songs" camp either. Priest have done all they're going to achieve by playing fast. Anything they do fast now will just sound like a carbon copy of something else. There's more scope for something interesting in slower, heavier songs, but they've not achieved that with these two.

Also, they keep saying how this is going to be a "heavy" album, but neither of these songs are remotely heavy.

SomewhereInTime72
05-24-2014, 07:28 PM
I'd accept a carbon copy if it was a thoroughly good/entertaining one. I do like Motorhead. ;)

PVH5150
05-28-2014, 05:59 AM
DJKpJ5_Cjso

Onioner
05-28-2014, 10:48 AM
DJKpJ5_Cjso

I dig. I dig a lot. Apparently they were listening to me when I said I wanted a Sentinel-like song. Richie also totally rips on that solo.

Travis The Dragon
05-28-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm definitely liking that one better than the last 2. Hopefully that should please those of us who want some faster material.

MetalIsArt
05-29-2014, 09:32 AM
I dig. I dig a lot. Apparently they were listening to me when I said I wanted a Sentinel-like song. Richie also totally rips on that solo.

I dig this too :allan:

Travis The Dragon
06-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Preview of Crossfire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4qpIy_-VbE)

Onioner
06-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Preview of Crossfire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4qpIy_-VbE)

Wasn't expecting that, it kinda has a Never Satisfied vibe to it. Has the potential to be cool, but also could be really boring.

SomewhereInTime72
06-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Halls of Valhalla feels like it could be a very sexy song. :cool: I hope it is.

Travis The Dragon
06-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Halls of Valhalla feels like it could be a very sexy song. :cool: I hope it is.

It's definitely my favorite of all we've heard so far.

PVH5150
06-13-2014, 08:07 AM
shwOv_J7QGo

IrritatedTrout
06-13-2014, 11:05 AM
They're all pretty mid-tempo so far. Not terribly exciting.

Onioner
06-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Preview of Battle Cry:

http://www.guitarworld.com/judas-priest-preview-new-song-battle-cry-intro-guitarist-richie-faulkner-exclusive-video

Once again, digging the more uptempo stuff.

I really wasn't impressed with Dragonaut. At times it sounded weirdly like a more boring Deal with the Devil. The production is growing on me a little though, I'm starting to kinda like that snare sound. They fumbled incredibly hard by premiering the title track with those shitty fuckin' guitars and vocals.

Travis The Dragon
06-18-2014, 01:45 PM
As far as everything goes so far: The production sounds perfectly fine to my ears. And they're trying to sound like their old school stuff so I expect them to sort of repeat and mimic what they've already done. You also have to remember that this is a band who's never been super unique or original sounding and has always had pretty simple songs overall. I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far and am glad they're sticking to their main style and sound. The only thing that's missing for me is Rob's Painkiller scream singing style, but his vocals can't handle that anymore since we haven't heard much of it on the last 2 albums. Other than than that, this is some pretty good stuff for a band who's been around as long as they have.

Onioner
06-18-2014, 03:36 PM
As far as everything goes so far: The production sounds perfectly fine to my ears. And they're trying to sound like their old school stuff so I expect them to sort of repeat and mimic what they've already done. You also have to remember that this is a band who's never been super unique or original sounding and has always had pretty simple songs overall. I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far and am glad they're sticking to their main style and sound. The only thing that's missing for me is Rob's Painkiller scream singing style, but his vocals can't handle that anymore since we haven't heard much of it on the last 2 albums. Other than than that, this is some pretty good stuff for a band who's been around as long as they have.

Judas Priest is a band that's never been super unique or original sounding? Dude, that's about as incorrect as it gets when it comes to heavy metal history. Like honestly, just absolutely incredibly wrong. The songwriting from Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class and Hell Bent for Leather was basically unprecedented for its time. Seriously, most elements of thrash, power metal, NWOBHM and who knows what else can be traced back to '70s Priest. When it comes to the sounds that people associate with classic heavy metal, if Sabbath didn't do it first then Priest did. When you refer to "simple songs" you're probably referring to songs like Breaking the Law or Living After Midnight right? By the time Priest were making their most popular albums, which were British Steel through Painkiller, they had already trailblazed the half of the heavy metal spectrum that Black Sabbath didn't already pioneer.

What's disappointing about these new tracks is that they sound like Judas Priest doing a poor imitation of themselves. They lack energy, Rob's melodies are bland and the riffing is just not that great. Nostradamus has some seriously ripping and creative shit on it, this stuff just sounds like Priest on autopilot. Take Defenders of the Faith for example, there is nothing on that album that Priest hadn't already invented years prior. Absolutely nothing. However, the songs on it kick a huge amount of ass because Glenn and KK busted out some seriously quality riffs and Rob did an incredible job as a writer of vocal melodies and as a performer. Even Painkiller has absolutely nothing new that Priest hadn't already done before (the title track is basically an update of Exciter. Like for real, compare the two), it ruled because of killer riffs and performances, a fuckton of energy from everyone and because it's probably the most "metal" album ever made.

The mix on Redeemer of Souls the song was fucked. That's just obvious. The other tracks have been quite a bit better, but they just don't sound that great man. It's like they were trying to go for that kind of bare sound that Tom Allom got on British Steel, but they screwed that up by not addressing Glenn and Richie's horrible tone and by making the kick drum sound beyond weak. Like, if Redeemer of Souls sounded good and if they had actually achieved the sonic vision they wanted, it would sound like the mix on the Epitaph DVD, which rules (also Tom Allom did that one funny enough). Again, compare the two.

PVH5150
06-18-2014, 03:46 PM
It's like they were trying to go for that kind of bare sound that Tom Allom got on British Steel, but they screwed that up by not addressing Glenn and Richie's horrible tone and by making the kick drum sound beyond weak.

Strictly speaking tone wise, Glenn lost his ear for it when he dropped Marshall for Engl. Ritchie's is slightly more bearable, but not by much. Also, the EMG pickups almost always make matters worse. Only guys I know that use them and still sound unique are Devy and Wolf Hoffmann. All the 70s & 80s Priest stuff was the classic Gibson with Duncan pickups through Marshall amps. Why fuck with a good thing?

MetalIsArt
06-19-2014, 06:38 AM
Strictly speaking tone wise, Glenn lost his ear for it when he dropped Marshall for Engl. Ritchie's is slightly more bearable, but not by much. Also, the EMG pickups almost always make matters worse. Only guys I know that use them and still sound unique are Devy and Wolf Hoffmann. All the 70s & 80s Priest stuff was the classic Gibson with Duncan pickups through Marshall amps. Why fuck with a good thing?

So you don't like any guitarist with EMG pickups? :finger2:

ravenheart
06-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Hmm, well Rob sounds an awful lot better on Dragonaut, but that guitar tone is horrible.

And Battle Cry just sounds boring as fuck. Where's all the "heavy" Rob kept going on about?

PVH5150
06-19-2014, 08:34 AM
So you don't like any guitarist with EMG pickups? :finger2:

Barely. In almost all of my experiences, they do only one thing well: Music with extreme gain. Their clean/overdriven tones are laughable and the most highlighted players that endorse them (Zakk, Kirk, Kerry) all have shittastic tone.

Like I said off the top of my head. Wolf Hoffmann & Devy are the only ones I can think of that still sound completely unique tone wise while still not sounding like shit. I'm sure if I had a list of guitarists that used EMGs I could find a handful more that I enjoy, but those two are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Seymour Duncan was and always will be the best pickup maker around.

MetalIsArt
06-19-2014, 08:43 AM
You're not going to like my soon to appear favourite guitarist thread, then ;)

Travis The Dragon
07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Entire album available for streaming (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/judas-priest-entire-redeemer-of-souls-album-available-for-streaming/)

Onioner
07-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Well shit, halfway through and I'm liking the album a lot so far. Even the title track grew on me a bit. Nothing as good as the best songs on Nostradamus and AoR so far, but I think it's already a hell of a lot more consistent than either of them. Cold Blooded rules.

Glenn's solos sound absolutely awful though. Richie rips mad here.

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-01-2014, 06:46 PM
To be honest from what I've listened to I'm really diggin' it. It's the classic JP sound, and frankly that's all I'm looking for. I'm also noticing a little Painkiller vibe with this album, which is awesome because that's my favorite JP record. Rob sounds great and there's definitely some good riffs throughout the songs I've heard. The guitar tone is definitely not as good as it should be, but it's not terrible.

Favorite songs so far are Dragonaut and Metalizer.

Sanitarium78
07-01-2014, 07:30 PM
I really enjoyed my first listen to it. It has the classic Priest sound and it's a very consistent album. I agree with Onioner, Cold Blooded is the stand out track for me so far.

Onioner
07-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Holy mother of fuck, Secrets of the Dead is absolutely amazing. I didn't think that Priest were capable of writing a song this great in 2014. The spoken word section is really really bad, but it crossed the threshold into being so bad that it's awesome. Battle Cry is also solid as fuck, and so is much of Halls of Valhalla (not a big fan of the latter's chorus though). Down in Flames could have totally been an awesome track on Screaming for Vengeance too. Love the harmonized solo.

Rob is definitely giving more of an effort on this album than he has in a long time. He totally nails some screams and others he sounds really strained. As for Glenn and Richie, their tone is definitely pretty awful (the chorusing in the title track is still horrible), but I think Mike Exeter went with it to leave some room for Ian in the mix. Scott's snare is also sounding its best since Painkiller and it's actually really up there, which was a big problem on AoR and Nostradamus. The mix is really growing on me to be honest. Even if it isn't ideal (there's room for the kicks to be a lot meatier), I think I'd take this mix over 90% of other metal engineering jobs.

Forcing people to stream this thing as a front to back album was probably the smartest thing the band has done throughout this entire promo period. This reminds me a lot of when A Different Kind of Truth came out. I'm really excited for the double-disc edition now.

I'm also noticing a little Painkiller vibe with this album, which is awesome because that's my favorite JP record.

That vibe is probably coming from the fact that the main riffs from Battle Cry and Halls of Valhalla basically jack riffs from the title track to Painkiller almost verbatim. There's a part in Dragonaut that does that as well. Not to mention the title track is basically a more upbeat Hell Patrol. That was just from one listen to the album, maybe there's even more instances of that happening?

EvilCheeseWedge
07-02-2014, 11:51 AM
This wasn't bad. Pre-ordered! I feel like a lot of this has more of a hard rock feel than a heavy metal one, and it's working for me. I still think the mix is a bit muddy, but the songs are decent, so whatever, I guess.

(Also is there some sort of rule that requires modern Judas Priest albums' artwork to look like PhotoShop abortions?)

Travis The Dragon
07-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Overall, I'm loving it as well. My personal favorite is Halls Of Valhalla. To me, the production has a bit of a flat and boring sound, but I can overlook that since the songs themselves are pretty good. But damn Rob for teasing us with those Painkiller type screams! If only he would do just 1 song singing like that all the way through.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Just wanted to bump this to admit that RoS is a really solid album. The first six songs are surprisingly solid and consistent. "Halls of Valhalla" and "Sword of Damocles" are great. I also really like "Down in Flames." I'm really surprised to be enjoying a JP album at this point in their career. I didn't particularly like Angel of Retribution and I still can't make it through Nostradamus...

ravenheart
07-13-2014, 05:31 PM
If only he would do just 1 song singing like that all the way through.

He can't, and he's finally realised that.

PVH5150
07-13-2014, 06:00 PM
If only he would do just 1 song singing like that all the way through.

This is the closest you'll get to it today.

5363SatNfnI

Sanitarium78
07-13-2014, 06:02 PM
He can't, and he's finally realised that.

Exactly, the notes he hits on Halls Of Valhalla is about as high as he can get now. Halford turns 63 next month, I think most fans understand he can't go do what he did on Painkiller for entire songs anymore.

Onioner
07-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Exactly, the notes he hits on Halls Of Valhalla is about as high as he can get now. Halford turns 63 next month, I think most fans understand he can't go do what he did on Painkiller for entire songs anymore.

I'm still in awe of that ascending scream going into the guitar solo in Halls of Valhalla. I think Glenn Hughes is the only other 60-something year old guy that could nail that.

Nater
07-13-2014, 07:54 PM
I thought the best track was the bonus track Bring It On. Totally rocks.

Onioner
07-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I thought the best track was the bonus track Bring It On. Totally rocks.

Dude I fricken love Halls of Valhalla, Down in Flames, Cold Blooded, Secrets of the Dead, Battle Cry, Beginning of the End, Tears of Blood and Never Forget so much and all the other songs I at least like a lot, if not think they're solid. The only clunkers to me are Hell & Back and Metalizer.

I know I might be the only one that thinks this on here, but I think this is my album of the year. 16 out of 18 songs of solid to fantastic metal is one kickass ratio.

I also think Richie Faulkner deserves a fricken medal for his work on this album. Every one of his solos are stellar and I have a sneaking suspicion that he was responsible for the best stuff on the album. Glenn must have seriously gone deaf though, I think he nudged Mike Exeter to make poor moves during the mixing and tracking, not to mention his tone is pure ass on this record.

Sanitarium78
07-14-2014, 06:22 AM
I'm still in awe of that ascending scream going into the guitar solo in Halls of Valhalla. I think Glenn Hughes is the only other 60-something year old guy that could nail that.

Yes, that is very impressive for a man of Halford's age to pull that off. I'm also surprised how low he gets his voice before he goes right into that high scream.

I'm enjoying this album very much. The first five songs and Cold Blooded are my favorites. I don't have the version with the bonus tracks since I think the whole bonus track thing is nothing more than a bullshit way to market albums now. It's not needed. Give me the album with the original track listing and i'm fine. If a song isn't good enough to be a on the final version of the album, that tells me these songs are not important, so don't waste your time listening to them. Plus, with 13 tracks clocking in at an hour, that's good enough for me. No reason to overkill it with "bonus" material.

makethemsuffer12
07-16-2014, 07:45 PM
My sentiments are the same as pretty much everyone's: Great songs, iffy production. It's a shame considering AoR and Nostradamus sound killer, production wise. I really don't get how they recorded an entire album with the guitars sounding the way the do.

Sepultura69
07-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Beginning of the End reminds me of Beyond the Realms of Death.

Onioner
07-16-2014, 10:53 PM
My sentiments are the same as pretty much everyone's: Great songs, iffy production. It's a shame considering AoR and Nostradamus sound killer, production wise. I really don't get how they recorded an entire album with the guitars sounding the way the do.

The drums were sterile as shit on AoR and they were nowhere near as high as they should have been on Nostradamus. AoR had really boring standard metal engineering and Nostradamus was too piled up in strings and synths and shit.

The more I listen to Redeemer of Souls, the more I "get it" production wise. For example, I think the drums are 100% all natural which is nuts because I'm pretty sure that Scott's used triggers since at least Painkiller, if not even the Racer X days. For example, his kicks are thick and meaty on the mid-tempo songs but they lose punch and consistency on the fast parts like in Sword of Damocles and Metalizer. That tells me that not much was done to process the raw kick tracks, even in terms of volume and compression automation. If anything, that makes me think that Scott's playing wasn't good enough to meet their production goals. Dude's relied heavily on triggers for decades and his timing was shaky on the Epitaph tour, just listen to the DVD for proof. Rob's vocals also sound relatively uncompressed and minimally automated to my ears, really reminiscent of David Lee Roth on ADKOT. Lots of reverb in quite a few songs for sure though.

Glenn's guitars are just totally fucked, which I attribute to him being old and deaf. Richie doesn't sound too bad to me, and I think it's really Dragonaut and the title track where the guitars are at their worst. They're at least passable on the other songs I think. I'm also really confident that Richie tracked the majority of the rhythms on the record (one can already tell he did most of the solos on the album). We'd be complaining a lot more if Glenn's tone was more present I think.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-17-2014, 07:35 AM
AoR was just a boring album all around. The songwriting, the performances, and the production were just totally boring. I can't even listen to Nostradamus all the way through. It was just way too overwrought for Judas Priest.

I'm inclined to agree with Onioner's take on the guitars on Redeemer. I suspect Richie is behind most of the guitar parts (and I suspect the songwriting as well.) The mix doesn't bother me too much on most of the songs now that I've been listening to it for awhile. It has a sort of live/raw feel to it. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of studio magic on Halford's voice, for instance, which I think works greatly to the album's favor. Ultimately, it's not how I'd mix it, or want it mixed if I was the band, but, whatever.

Most importantly, where the hell have songs like "Sword of Damocles" and "Battle Cry" been for the last decade?! (My guess: they were brought to the table by Richie.) These are the types of songs I've been wanting from Priest since I saw their first American reunion tour as part of Ozzfest ten years ago! They sound like Priest, but they have an energy and a (sort of) freshness to them that's been absent on their reunion albums so far.

After AoR I sort of never expected to really enjoy a Priest album again, but Redeemer has proved that wrong. I also think it's their most consistent album in literally decades. And while I might be in the minority, and while Painkiller does have its charms, I'm ready to take Redeemer over it too. So, well done Priest! :rocker:

Maideneer
07-17-2014, 07:45 AM
I keep expecting the title track to turn into Hell Patrol at some point. Hell Patrol II is my name for it.

Anyhow, great album.

No one has mentioned yet the awesome track Crossfire. I thought Hendrix started things off on that track.

PVH5150
07-17-2014, 07:52 AM
AoR was just a boring album all around.

Judas Rising, Hellrider, Angel & Loch Ness are all excellent songs.

Sanitarium78
07-17-2014, 08:12 AM
I have no idea how any Priest fan could not like AOR. Judas Rising, Deal With The Devil, Worth Fighting For, Demonizer and Hellrider are all great. The rest of the songs are solid to. They couldn't have possibly given us a better album for Halford's return.

I'm loving the new album. Halls Of Valhalla is certainly my favorite song but this is one of those albums where you find a new favorite with each listen.

Onioner
07-17-2014, 08:42 AM
AoR was just a boring album all around. The songwriting, the performances, and the production were just totally boring. I can't even listen to Nostradamus all the way through. It was just way too overwrought for Judas Priest.

I'm inclined to agree with Onioner's take on the guitars on Redeemer. I suspect Richie is behind most of the guitar parts (and I suspect the songwriting as well.) The mix doesn't bother me too much on most of the songs now that I've been listening to it for awhile. It has a sort of live/raw feel to it. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of studio magic on Halford's voice, for instance, which I think works greatly to the album's favor. Ultimately, it's not how I'd mix it, or want it mixed if I was the band, but, whatever.

Most importantly, where the hell have songs like "Sword of Damocles" and "Battle Cry" been for the last decade?! (My guess: they were brought to the table by Richie.) These are the types of songs I've been wanting from Priest since I saw their first American reunion tour as part of Ozzfest ten years ago! They sound like Priest, but they have an energy and a (sort of) freshness to them that's been absent on their reunion albums so far.

After AoR I sort of never expected to really enjoy a Priest album again, but Redeemer has proved that wrong. I also think it's their most consistent album in literally decades. And while I might be in the minority, and while Painkiller does have its charms, I'm ready to take Redeemer over it too. So, well done Priest! :rocker:

Every goddamn word of this.

300%_Density
07-17-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm maybe 5-6 songs in. Listened probably 3x. Love the opener. I just really don't love anything else I've heard so far. Maybe the rest might be better. I really wanted to love this after Nostradamus.

I'm in agreement about the not hating Angel of Retribution. It had some fantastic songs on there. I was pretty blown away w/ how good the Halford return album was.

I hope the new one grows on me some more.

Maideneer
07-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Following up on songs that remind me of other songs on this record...

Am I the only one that was waiting for the riff to Whitesnake's "Still of the Night" to break out during March Of The Damned?

TonyD
07-17-2014, 01:07 PM
I haven't been able to listen to Dragonaut and Redeemer of Souls all the way through. I'm gonna try to listen to the album now since they're probably playing a good chunk of it and the only reason I'm going to the show is that this will be the only chance to see them without being seated.

PVH5150
08-04-2014, 06:55 PM
For those that haven't had a chance to listen. Here's the album in full, bonus tracks included.

6dd_t4GVxFI

Sanitarium78
09-30-2014, 06:47 AM
I will be attending the tour opener tomorrow in Rochester, NY. I never go to a show these days without knowing what the setlist will be beforehand. I'm very excited for the concert because of this. It's been 20 years since i've gone to a opening show for a tour. It's a very special and rare thing to attend one of these shows and not know what will be played.

ravenheart
09-30-2014, 06:56 AM
I will be attending the tour opener tomorrow in Rochester, NY. I never go to a show these days without knowing what the setlist will be beforehand. I'm very excited for the concert because of this. It's been 20 years since i've gone to a opening show for a tour. It's a very special and rare thing to attend one of these shows and not know what will be played.

Maybe you should therefore not post the setlist ;)

SignoftheHammer
09-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Be sure to give us a review!:)

Onioner
09-30-2014, 08:48 AM

Lucky! As far as I know, I've never attended an opening night of a tour.

I'm expecting maybe 2 really cool and unexpected cuts, a bunch of other standard stuff and 3 relatively shitty selections from the new record, probably gonna open with Dragonaut and throw in the title track and March of the Damned. Any other new tracks beyond those three will be a victory.

HackedUpForBBQ
09-30-2014, 10:12 PM

See you there, mang

TheWildAndTheYoung
10-01-2014, 03:50 AM
Lucky! As far as I know, I've never attended an opening night of a tour.

I'm expecting maybe 2 really cool and unexpected cuts, a bunch of other standard stuff and 3 relatively shitty selections from the new record, probably gonna open with Dragonaut and throw in the title track and March of the Damned. Any other new tracks beyond those three will be a victory.

Your probably right about all those, I would love to see Halls Of Valhalla and Cold Blooded get played though. I love Dragonaut and March Of The Damned though so I'm fine with those, it's the title track that really sucks.

ravenheart
10-01-2014, 04:35 AM
March of the Damned is the only one I really like from those. Sword of Damocles, Secrets of The Dead, and Crossfire would be my choices, but I don't see any of those getting played. They're not blunt or obvious enough.

Sanitarium78
10-01-2014, 05:39 AM
I was hoping for at least four off the new album. I know they'll do Dragonaut and the title track because those were the songs released as singles before the album came out. I really want to hear Halls Of Valhalla and I would consider it a waste of a great song if they didn't play it at all this tour. Sword Of Damocles, Cold Blooded and Secrets Of The Dead I would love to hear to. I think Damocles has the best shot of getting played out of those, the other two not so much. I like the whole album, so I really won't mind whatever they decide to play off it.

Strobic Axe
10-01-2014, 07:26 AM

I see them next Tuesday - will be waiting with baited breath for tonight's setlist. Don't be afraid to post it as soon as you get home.;)

Onioner
10-01-2014, 10:42 AM
March of the Damned is the only one I really like from those. Sword of Damocles, Secrets of The Dead, and Crossfire would be my choices, but I don't see any of those getting played. They're not blunt or obvious enough.

My picks would be Secrets of the Dead, Halls of Valhalla, Battle Cry, Beginning of the End, Cold Blooded and Sword of Damocles. That's why I was so surprised that the album turned out so awesome, almost every other song than the ones they previewed are killer.

BlindGuardian93
10-01-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm goimg to say they play Dragonaut, Redeemer and Crossfire off the new album. I saw an interview with Faulkner and he said that song was a gem that they were surprised fans latched on to. As for defenders I'm saying they play Love Bites and Eat me Alive. Maybe Jawbreaker. Plus it's the 40th anniversary of Rocka Rolla.