PDA

View Full Version : What Are The Loudest Bands You've Seen?

smearCampaign
04-24-2014, 10:13 PM
I just got back from Godflesh and their live show prompted this thread. They were not only really heavy sounding, but LOUD as all hell. Other bands that immediately come to mind for me would be Motörhead and Jucifer, two more acts that just totally blow your hair back and you can feel reverberating in your chest the whole time. So....

What are the loudest bands you've seen?

adamclark52
04-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Immolation was pretty loud when I saw them in 2010. I don't think they're known for that though. I didn't mind.

Nick_to_the_face
04-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Motorhead. And surprisingly Mushroomhead

kalfitegrdan
04-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Zoroaster, Pallbearer and Yob come to mind. Also, not necessarily loud, but Esoteric were so goddamn heavy that they actually caused a minor amount of physical pain in my bowels.

slapguitarer
04-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Boris by far. Other ones are Centuries and Pray For Teeth cause they shared gear and they had a wall of amps. First time I saw Thrones open for Sleep it was loud. Cloud Rat and Thou were loud. A lot of stoner/sludge bands are loud but those really stuck out.

DisposableJustice
04-24-2014, 11:54 PM
Korn way back in 2002 was very loud, part of it was it being at the Denver Coliseum which is a very old building and I think the age of the structure played into that. I mean the 15 year old self loved it although my dad didn't:D

Also for some reason Metallica in San Jose 2009 seemed a little over the top; I still enjoyed myself but it wasn't as loud a year earlier in Denver

I am expecting Slayer coming up on May 10th to be loud as this show will be in the smallest venue they've done that I have been a part of:rocker:

EDIT: now that I think about it....in high school I worked at Red Rocks Amphitheater as a food worker....great job but one day ICP came to down, and their show was uncomfortably noisy, it almost hurt and I was in a stand on the side of the stage

mankvill
04-25-2014, 12:00 AM
Boris and Weedeater are immediate standouts for me.

Onioner
04-25-2014, 12:02 AM
AC/DC and Motörhead are ones that I immediately recall.

I still haven't seen Boris, but I bet they'd be loud as a motherfucker.

markrz
04-25-2014, 07:04 AM
A few of the loudest bands I can remember seeing include Cold As Life, House of Lords (surprisingly), and Royal Thunder (I thought they were louder than Pallbearer on that tour). Strapping Young Lad were pretty loud, but not quite at the extreme top end.

Natrlhi
04-25-2014, 07:16 AM
All four bands that came to mind have already been mentioned, but I'll repeat them for emphasis:

Motorhead
Jucifer
Boris
Zoroaster

Dextrimental
04-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Motorhead
Airbourne
Slipknot
Slayer
Napalm Death

I've never seen a doom metal band live, I don't think, so my list would be different if I had.

ravenheart
04-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Difficult. Definitely not the usual suspects like Motorhead.

Cathedral were ridiculously loud the first time I saw them.

Loudest crowd by a country mile: Evanescence

ravenheart
04-25-2014, 07:36 AM
What I've been told by numerous people though concurs with the first post, Godflesh are nauseatingly loud and heavy.

IrritatedTrout
04-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Motorhead.

markrz
04-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Oh yeah, Centurion's Ghost.

Coma323
04-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Mogwai in 2008 were extremely loud, only time my ears were still ringing a few days later.

moobys37
04-25-2014, 09:09 AM
My Bloody Valentine at the Roseland in 2008 when they held the feedback on "You Made Me Realise" for a good 25 minutes. ACDC was loud in a "everything's mixed too high" kind of way.

swboyd
04-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Black Breath
Young Widows
Pallbearer

PVH5150
04-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Sunn O))), by a wide margin.

Motorhead and Uncle Ted duking it out for 2nd and 3rd place.

Nobody else is even close.

larvtard
04-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Zoroaster at a record store a couple years -- one of the last shows I attended without earplugs, actually. I saw The Body a few weeks ago at a hole-in-the-wall bar and they were terrifying. I shoved my earplugs all the way in for Nothing because I had heard horror stories about their performances, so they didn't sound too loud. Oh, and I saw Cloud Nothings on a huge outdoor stage so naturally they were nauseatingly loud. I forgot my earplugs for that show, so I had to sit it out. :/

moobys37
04-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Cloud Nothings

Are they worth seeing? I'm grasping at straws at who to see at Pitchfork Saturday and they're playing.

slapguitarer
04-25-2014, 10:40 AM
I should add Whirr to my list. Their set was pretty loud but was was especially loud was the drone at the end of their set.

John The Drummer
04-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Black Witchery :lol:

larvtard
04-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Black Witchery is hands-down the worst band I've ever seen live.

Are they worth seeing? I'm grasping at straws at who to see at Pitchfork Saturday and they're playing.

Are you speaking in terms of overlaps or whatever? Because Pitchfork apparently haven't announced set times yet. I just saw them last weekend for RSD and they mostly played stuff from their new album which I'm not a big fan of, so it was a bit disappointing. I think they're worth seeing, though. I don't see any other bands on Saturday which I care for anyway.

John The Drummer
04-25-2014, 02:57 PM

BUT WHAT ABOUT THEIR BLASPHEMY COVER?!?!?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

powerslave_85
04-25-2014, 03:36 PM
I've worn earplugs to every show for years now, but before that I distinctly remember Motorhead being like twice as loud as Maiden on the Give Me Ed 'Til I'm Dead tour.

Coma323
04-25-2014, 04:09 PM
I wear earplugs at every show I go to but I've noticed a lot of people don't, especially up close. Their loss.

ravenheart
04-25-2014, 04:35 PM
I've worn earplugs to every show for years now, but before that I distinctly remember Motorhead being like twice as loud as Maiden on the Give Me Ed 'Til I'm Dead tour.

This. But I did see Motorhead for the first time in a stupidly small place. Ever since they've never struck me as particularly loud.

Saw a couple of good contenders tonight. Borracho and Sixty Watt Shaman.

The first time I saw Skid Row they were deafening. Probably no coincidence then that they were the last band I saw without earplugs, apart from one Testament gig when I forgot them.

ravenheart
04-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Oh yeah, Centurion's Ghost.

They actually came to the States?

markrz
04-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Huh. I had no idea they were an overseas band until your post right now. I thought they were some random band from the midwest. I saw them in summer 2007 when they toured with The Gates of Slumber.

I remember getting really lost trying to find the venue on foot and walking like 4 miles in the complete wrong direction, then finally turning around and going all the way back, finally finding the unmarked door with no sign and figuring out it was the venue. I walked in and Centurion's Ghost were playing.

El Gordo
04-25-2014, 05:02 PM
I'll throw in another vote for Motorhead. The first time I saw them opening for Maiden, I thought, no big deal. Then I saw them headlining in a smaller club, and I thought my eardrums were going to melt. It was the one and only concert where I actually thought to myself "this is too loud".

Christen
04-26-2014, 02:53 AM

It was the same thing when I saw them on Gigantour with Megadeth. Motorhead was so much louder and I think that's the only time where I saw an opener play louder than the headliner.

I'd also have to cast my vote for AC/DC and Slayer as well.

MetalIsArt
04-26-2014, 04:13 AM
Motorhead in 2012.

They were handing out earplugs, and of course, me, teh troo methuldude, didn't take them.

Afterwards, I couldn't hear for a few minutes, and I had a buzz in my ears for a few days...

ravenheart
04-26-2014, 04:38 AM
Huh. I had no idea they were an overseas band until your post right now. I thought they were some random band from the midwest. I saw them in summer 2007 when they toured with The Gates of Slumber.

Haha, yeah, most of them were English apart from the guitarist, who is Italian but lives in London. I see her at shows all the time, including yesterday. She's in Hybris now, an awesome new thrash band, long with the original Centurions singer.

Natrlhi
04-26-2014, 12:46 PM
I've noticed a couple of people voted for Slayer. I saw them three times back in the late 80's / early 90's and I don't remeber them being so loud that I would include them on this list. They were definitely loud, but not exceedingly so. Their pits, however, were some of the most violent I've ever seen.

Also, I completely forgot to mention that Neurosis are as heavy and loud as Jupiter colliding with Saturn.

mastodon421
04-26-2014, 02:24 PM
High on Fire by far.

TehBr00tulz
04-26-2014, 02:36 PM
First bands to immediately come to mind were High On Fire, Full of Hell, and The Atlas Moth (at least when I saw them with Gojira)

dcmetal108
04-26-2014, 02:38 PM
The Doors

PowerMaiden
04-26-2014, 03:09 PM
It's true that Motorhead are really loud, but it's mostly distortion, we don't hear shit. Just a big noise. Saw them 3 times on the GMETID tour with Dio & Maiden and it was like that the 3 times. Not pleasant at all

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

ravenheart
04-26-2014, 04:06 PM
It's true that Motorhead are really loud, but it's mostly distortion, we don't hear shit. Just a big noise. Saw them 3 times on the GMETID tour with Dio & Maiden and it was like that the 3 times. Not pleasant at all

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

The other thing is, everyone else adjusts their volume for the size of venue. They don't, they play at arena volume in a club. I'll never see the in small venues anymore because they sound a complete mess.

adamclark52
04-26-2014, 07:17 PM
I've been looking everywhere for this clip to post in response to this thread and wearing earplugs at shows. Too bad it's in french but I think everyone here has seen it and can appreciate it.

fJLiBZmjinc

That clip right there is the reason I started going to metal shows when I was a teenager.

300%_Density
04-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Another Motörhead vote. I'm going to throw in Ministry as well in 2003. Tiny tiny club and 2 drum kits was one of the loudest I've heard.

TonyD
04-26-2014, 08:59 PM
I've been looking everywhere for this clip to post in response to this thread and wearing earplugs at shows. Too bad it's in french but I think everyone here has seen it and can appreciate it.

fJLiBZmjinc

That clip right there is the reason I started going to metal shows when I was a teenager.

"Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encore."

christopher
04-26-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm surprised Manowar hasn't been mentioned yet.

ImmortalEmperor
04-26-2014, 09:33 PM

Yeah, the latest Manowar show in SF was ridiculously loud. Other than that, another vote for Boris and also Torche (on the Boris tour) - both bands nearly blew my eardrums.

justinm4bama
04-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Nile.

ravenheart
04-27-2014, 05:11 AM

No one goes to see Manowar ;)

christopher
04-27-2014, 11:31 AM
No one goes to see Manowar ;)

:lol:

Anyways, my loudest concert was Corrupted. Holy fuck were they loud. The entire building was shaking.

Onioner
04-27-2014, 03:46 PM
No one can afford to see Manowar ;)

I agree wholeheartedly.

dcmetal108
04-27-2014, 04:25 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.

Not that people can't afford it, it's not everyone wants to pay over arena prices to see a band with clearly a huge ego play a club show.

Dextrimental
04-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Not that people can't afford it, it's not everyone wants to pay over arena prices to see a band with clearly a huge ego play a club show.

They were 40e here for a show in an 800 person venue. For a band with such a limited following, that's just not on. They're the only people who truly believe they're as good as they are.

MetalIsArt
04-28-2014, 04:08 AM
I agree wholeheartedly.

:lol:

moobys37
04-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Are you speaking in terms of overlaps or whatever? Because Pitchfork apparently haven't announced set times yet. I just saw them last weekend for RSD and they mostly played stuff from their new album which I'm not a big fan of, so it was a bit disappointing. I think they're worth seeing, though. I don't see any other bands on Saturday which I care for anyway.

I meant in general. St. Vincent is the only artist playing Saturday that I'm into. Friday and Sunday are so fantastic it makes up for the weak Saturday so I'm just trying to find something to see since I'll be there anyway.

dcmetal108
04-28-2014, 09:26 AM
They were 40e here for a show in an 800 person venue. For a band with such a limited following, that's just not on. They're the only people who truly believe they're as good as they are.

Here it was $90 with fees for presale to a venue that holds like a 1000 people which then got moved to a smaller venue where not everyone with a ticket was allowed in.

MetalIsArt
04-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Here it was $90 with fees for presale to a venue that holds like a 1000 people which then got moved to a smaller venue where not everyone with a ticket was allowed in.

WHAT?

How do you mean not everyone with a ticket was allowed in?

Where those musicians who could actually play or what? :flame:

dcmetal108
04-28-2014, 02:34 PM
WHAT?

How do you mean not everyone with a ticket was allowed in?

Where those musicians who could actually play or what? :flame:

The original venue had the roof collapse the night before from a dubstep show or something and they switched venues and also offered people the cancelled Michigan show the chance to see the chicago show for free so not everyone with a Chicago ticket got in.

MPF
04-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Metallica on the Summer Sanitarium tour.

Although I think it had more to do with the fact that they played in a Stadium that was never meant to have bands play live.

My ears rang for 2 weeks after that show.

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 03:08 PM
The original venue had the roof collapse the night before from a dubstep show or something and they switched venues and also offered people the cancelled Michigan show the chance to see the chicago show for free so not everyone with a Chicago ticket got in.

That's ridiculous.

christopher
04-28-2014, 03:23 PM

Did anyone attending the dubstep show die?

dcmetal108
04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Did anyone attending the dubstep show die?
Sadly not.

John The Drummer
04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
watch?v=w-0d_1U_GgE

MetalIsArt
04-28-2014, 10:58 PM
watch?v=w-0d_1U_GgE

;)

The Colonel
05-01-2014, 04:16 AM
Graves at Sea and Corrupted