PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Tate Now Known As The Voice Of Queensryche

hot_turkey_ed
04-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Take a peek at queensryche.com (http://www.queensryche.com).

New banner. Geoff Tate The Voice Of Queensryche. Also note the new link: Queensryche without Geoff Tate. That links now points to queensrycheofficial.com (http://queensrycheofficial.com).

I don't have any information whatsoever on the settlement but change is happening. I'll let you do the math.

Update 7:11 PM PST: I (probably not alone on it) sent it in. Blabbermouth following up with their story. See here (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/going-forward-geoff-tate-will-be-known-as-the-voice-of-queensryche/).

anomynous
04-22-2014, 05:23 PM
So they both get to use the name?

Oh boy how different

hot_turkey_ed
04-22-2014, 05:27 PM
No idea. It looks like some form of dual use but I don't know. I'm just posting about what I'm seeing on those sites.

dcmetal108
04-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Uhghhh here we go again lol.

300%_Density
04-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Dammit Fon.... Oh wait dammit Turkey? Dammit Ed? Nope just doesn't feel right.

mankvill
04-22-2014, 05:41 PM
GOD DAMNIT FONwait excuse me what

hot_turkey_ed
04-22-2014, 05:43 PM
See the links. Legit news. Don't believe what you're seeing? Check the Internet Way Back machine for that domain. You'll see the old site. I also posted a screen shot on twitter in case it goes away over night. The settlement is likely in the process of getting implemented.

anomynous
04-22-2014, 05:53 PM
But where are the tour dates?

300%_Density
04-22-2014, 06:10 PM
What kind of bread does Geoff prefer in a sandwich? We need to know dammit.

DisposableJustice
04-22-2014, 06:25 PM
it is quite a strange thing to see a Queensryche thread with out Fonz-Travis the Dragon starting it

Any bets on him making a separate thread anyway just because

dcmetal108
04-22-2014, 06:40 PM
What kind of bread does Geoff prefer in a sandwich? We need to know dammit.

Wheat

it is quite a strange thing to see a Queensryche thread with out Fonz-Travis the Dragon starting it

Any bets on him making a separate thread anyway just because

I think the dude got suspended from here, at least that's what Raven said.

Travis The Dragon
04-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Nope, I PM'ed HTE and said I would take the hint and not start anymore threads until an official announcement was made.

Hopefully all of that is only temporary until the settlement is announced and/or until Tate is done with his shows next month and that Tate will have to hand the site over to Queensryche.

dcmetal108
04-22-2014, 06:51 PM
You can just start / run your own QR forum! One founder and one member!

Travis The Dragon
04-22-2014, 06:54 PM
You can just start / run your own QR forum! One founder and one member!

:lol: Why not? I'll call it Dragonryche! Or does Fonzryche sound better? :tongue:

Bengals279
04-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Why do people care about this so much? Queensryche aint even good

hot_turkey_ed
04-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Nope, I PM'ed HTE and said I would take the hint and not start anymore threads until an official announcement was made.

Hopefully all of that is only temporary until the settlement is announced and/or until Tate is done with his shows next month and that Tate will have to hand the site over to Queensryche.

This. I expect a thread when the settlement is posted. ;)

300%_Density
04-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Why do people care about this so much? Queensryche aint even good

They don't. If it wasn't for the absurdity of the threads I wouldn't be posting to this and probably like half the people wouldn't. We come here for the lulz. I have never liked QR. But that's not why I come and participate.

hot_turkey_ed
04-22-2014, 07:21 PM
I haven't counted heads on Queensryche for a long while. Once upon a time, we had a number of members (including admins) who enjoyed the band a lot. I could be wrong but many peeps became disinterested around Mindcrime II. I know my own apathy began about that time.

Travis The Dragon
04-22-2014, 07:29 PM
This. I expect a thread when the settlement is posted. ;)

You know with me you can count on it! :lol:

There are people out there that do care about QR. I've seen some members on here say they've seen them and have enjoyed them quite a bit. Yes, I am guilty about going a bit overboard with all the threads I started and such. I guess part of the reason I did it was because I hoped that casual fans coming to this site who didn't know about QR firing Tate and getting a new singer and then about all that happened after that would be better informed as to what's been happening. I figured the more that were made aware of everything, the better. I should have gone about it a different way though. That's for sure.

HTE, it would be great if you could make it so that someone who starts a new thread can change the thread title. That way, I could start a thread about something and if it's something that's going to be updated, I could change the title of it when updates are made available. :)

MPF
04-22-2014, 09:35 PM
I haven't counted heads on Queensryche for a long while. Once upon a time, we had a number of members (including admins) who enjoyed the band a lot. I could be wrong but many peeps became disinterested around Mindcrime II. I know my own apathy began about that time.

Pretty much this. That's when Geoff went full retard and became not a fun band to listen to. Then they got Todd and saved the band.

That said, I'm glad all of this shit is done with.

ravenheart
04-23-2014, 01:10 AM
I think the dude got suspended from here, at least that's what Raven said.

Someone else said that. I commented.

ravenheart
04-23-2014, 01:17 AM
Simon Wright has shared this story (from another site, not this one) which, as a member of Geoff's band, adds some legitimacy to this being the actual outcome of the settlement.

I wonder if Geoff will be forced to release a re-branded version of 'Frequency Unknown'.

MetalIsArt
04-23-2014, 03:00 AM
No idea. It looks like some form of dual use but I don't know. I'm just posting about what I'm seeing on those sites.

But is it true that Geoff was never a "full shareholder" in QR or...?

EvilCheeseWedge
04-24-2014, 06:35 AM

Yeah, that feels like a long time ago now. And I guess it kind was! :hmm:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-24-2014, 06:36 AM
But is it true that Geoff was never a "full shareholder" in QR or...?

GT, Whip, SRock, and Ed were all shareholders in QR's corporations after CDG split. You're either a shareholder, or you're not. Not sure what you mean by "full shareholder."

MetalIsArt
04-25-2014, 04:14 AM
GT, Whip, SRock, and Ed were all shareholders in QR's corporations after CDG split. You're either a shareholder, or you're not. Not sure what you mean by "full shareholder."

Yeah, probably misinterpreted an interview he (or his ex-band) once gave.

Travis The Dragon
04-26-2014, 03:27 PM
From: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=ae21e24a-e0de-4c1f-82da-9b2aa12457e7&c=c9cbaa40-3515-11e3-a7c5-d4ae5275dbea&ch=cb256de0-3515-11e3-a8de-d4ae5275dbea
http://i.imgur.com/gyZW4tf.jpg

I sure hope that's the only show and that doesn't turn into a full tour! That would be one hell of a final insult to QR! But I guess I have to keep a positive vibe and just be glad that this will truly be over after August 9th.

Sanitarium78
04-26-2014, 03:35 PM
How is it an insult to Queensryche if Geoff does want to go out on a farewell tour? He's the original vocalist, the guy who gave life to the songs and the person everyone knows as the singer of Queensryche. It only seems fitting and the right thing to do if he decides to do a farewell tour if he's going to step away from being associated with the band.

ravenheart
04-26-2014, 03:47 PM
I sure hope that's the only show and that doesn't turn into a full tour! That would be one hell of a final insult to QR! But I guess I have to keep a positive vibe and just be glad that this will truly be over after August 9th.

Dumbass.

Travis The Dragon
04-26-2014, 06:32 PM
I don't see how saying that makes me a dumbass.

How is it an insult to Queensryche if Geoff does want to go out on a farewell tour? He's the original vocalist, the guy who gave life to the songs and the person everyone knows as the singer of Queensryche. It only seems fitting and the right thing to do if he decides to do a farewell tour if he's going to step away from being associated with the band.

Step away? He was already pushed away when the band fired him. And it's not Queensryche's farewell tour. It's the last tour dates that his version of the band can do before he completely loses the rights to the name and by calling it a farewell tour, he thinks he can trick fans into thinking this is the last time they'll see Queensryche which could increase ticket sales for him. I think everyone should go and read this (http://www.vindication156.net/index.php?topic=136.0). It will help you better learn what he is truly like.

Travis The Dragon
04-27-2014, 08:38 PM

http://i.imgur.com/rz6Rpyi.jpg

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 02:17 AM
Who the fuck is Alma D. Williams, and why doesn't whoever did that screen grap know how to crop and resize?

MetalIsArt
04-28-2014, 03:13 AM
Who the fuck is Alma D. Williams, and why doesn't whoever did that screen grap know how to crop and resize?

Who the fuck cares and why doesn't whoever did that Queensryche split admit that this madness should end?

anomynous
04-28-2014, 05:43 AM
Press release (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-jackson-rockenfield-and-wilton-will-be-sole-entity-recording-and-touring-as-queensryche/)

QUEENSRŸCHE members Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield, Michael Wilton and Geoff Tate have released the following joint statement:

"We wanted to let QUEENSRŸCHE fans around the world know that an amicable settlement has been reached between Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield, Michael Wilton and Geoff Tate with regard to the future of the QUEENSRŸCHE name. According to the agreement, original QUEENSRŸCHE members Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield and Michael Wilton along with recent members, Todd La Torre and Parker Lundgren, will now be the sole entity recording and touring as QUEENSRŸCHE, performing selections from their entire musical catalog that spans over 30 years of material. Original QUEENSRŸCHE lead singer Geoff Tate will continue to record, perform and pursue a variety of other creative endeavors and, as part of the agreement, will have the exclusive rights to perform 'Operation: Mindcrime I' and 'II' in their entirety as a unique performance. Both sides wish each other well and are excited about what the future holds. We want to thank the fans for standing beside us through this ordeal and look forward to sharing our music with you for years to come."

QUEENSRŸCHE guitarist Michael Wilton recently confirmed that Tate — who was fired from the Seattle progressive rock band in 2012 after fronting it for three decades — and his former bandmates have reached a settlement in their legal battle over the rights to the group's name.

QUEENSRŸCHE guitarist Michael Wilton recently revealed that the band is continuing work on material for the follow-up to last year's self-titled effort. "We've already begun the process for the next album," he said. "We have probably six songs demoed so far. We're taking it in a direction suited to what we do as QUEENSRŸCHE but maybe a little more progressive and heavier. The thing is, you never know what you really have until it's complete. It's like carving a piece of clay and seeing how it turns out. You peel off the layers until you get to something really cool."

Tate — who was fired from the Seattle progressive rock band in 2012 after fronting it for three decades — and his wife, Susan, QUEENSRŸCHE's former manager, filed a lawsuit in June 2012 asking the judge to award them the rights to the band's name in exchange for Tate paying Eddie Jackson (bass), Michael Wilton (guitar) and Scott Rockenfield (drums) the fair market value for their interests in the QUEENSRŸCHE companies. Wilton, Rockenfield and Jackson filed a countersuit against the Tates in which they accused Geoff of creative obstruction and violent behavior, and Susan Tate of questionable business practices.

While ruling against Tate, the presiding judge determined that there was no legal hurdle in Tate also using the name with an all-new lineup of musicians. "I don't see any reason that Mr. Tate can't have the benefit, if he gets other members, of whatever name he uses of using the brand," Superior Court Judge Carol A. Schapira said during the July 13, 2012 court hearing. "I think [doing that would be] inherently confusing, although I'm sure the market can get these things sorted out," she added.

Wilton, Rockenfield and Jackson last year accused Geoff Tate of "continu[ing] to harm the QUEENSRŸCHE brand" since the Tates' original lawsuit was filed in June 2012. In a court document, they wrote: "The newest self-titled QUEENSRŸCHE CD release by the [Todd La Torre-fronted version of the band] entered the U.S. charts at #23 and continues to get 9-out-of-10-star reviews and is still selling very well on a weekly basis around the globe. In comparison, Geoff Tate released his own QUEENSRŸCHE CD in April of [2013] titled 'Frequency Unknown' and depicted as F.U. on the cover, which entered the charts at #82, received very bad reviews around the world, and has slowed to almost no more weekly sales. [The Todd La Torre-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE's] new CD even outperformed the last two CDs of them with Geoff Tate, selling more in a month than the 'Dedicated to Chaos' CD has since its release in 2010, and charting much better than both that album and the previous one, 'American Soldier'. Thus, the return to the classic sound [Tate's former] bandmates have made with the new CD and live shows has been met with overwhelming success."

They added: "Geoff Tate also chose very poorly in hiring live musicians that have shown that they are not capable of representing the correct performances of the QUEENSRŸCHE music legacy, and he was constantly replacing them. He has been offering his low-quality version of QUEENSRŸCHE to the promoters at a much reduced rate, as low as $10,000 per night, when, in fact, [his former] bandmates have done their best to keep the authorized QUEENSRŸCHE at an average of well over $20,000 per show this entire year. However, this becomes harder and harder with Geoff Tate's sub-par band and cut-rate pricing that continues to be damaging to the QUEENSRŸCHE brand and legacy no matter who ultimately wins control after trial."

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Interesting. So Queensryche themselves are never allowed to perform the Mindcrime albums in their entirety again...

MetalIsArt
04-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Interesting. So Queensryche themselves are never allowed to perform the Mindcrime albums in their entirety again...

Operation:lost in moneycrime.

moobys37
04-28-2014, 08:10 AM

That's not a bad thing.

dcmetal108
04-28-2014, 08:24 AM

With how many times it's been done before who cares.

They can always just play every song but one on a tour lol

MetalIsArt
04-28-2014, 08:57 AM
With how many times it's been done before who cares.

They can always just play every song but one on a tour lol

:D

Derelict
04-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Not a lawyer, but i think they are allowed to perform those albums in their entirety, but they can't bill/promote it as such.

MetalIsArt
04-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Not a lawyer, but i think they are allowed to perform those albums in their entirety, but they can't bill/promote it as such.

First tour:

Mindcrime:Operation We're Americans.

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 10:15 AM

I read it as they can play songs from them, but can't play them in their entirety together. Whether or not that means they can play them in their entirety sepatately, not enough details have been released to know that.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-28-2014, 11:48 AM
It could be any of those things... it's just whatever they agreed to in the settlement. And since they settled out of court, the terms of the settlement will not likely be made public, meaning, no matter how we try to read it, we won't be sure what the extent or limitations of that settlement actually mean. My guess is that QR can neither play O:M 1 or 2 in entirety (not likely that they'd be playing 2 anyways) and that they would not be allowed to promote it as such, even if they were playing all or most of the songs from O:M 1. So I wouldn't count on QR doing a 30th anniversary O:M tour. I suspect GT has promoting rights for Mindcrime though, so I would expect a Geoff Tate Presents 30 Years of Operation: Mindcrime or whatever.

Travis The Dragon
04-28-2014, 12:51 PM
WOW! What at truly great victory for QR! I'm so glad this is finally over and we can really move forward now!

John The Drummer
04-28-2014, 12:56 PM
WOW! What at truly great victory for QR! I'm so glad this is finally over and we can really move forward now!

:lol:

MPF
04-28-2014, 01:11 PM
To quote Rambo...

IT'S NEVER OVER!!!.....IT'S NEVER OVER!!!

AnthG
04-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Are they just not allowed to play them in order and consecutively? So, can they just throw another song in the middle.

MPF
04-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Are they just not allowed to play them in order and consecutively? So, can they just throw another song in the middle.

They can still play songs off of it, just not able to do the full Mindcrime show for either album, and honestly I think any real Queensryche fan is perfectly ok with this.

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
They can still play songs off of it, just not able to do the full Mindcrime show for either album, and honestly I think any real Queensryche fan is perfectly ok with this.

Not true. I guarantee the majority of Queensryche fans would want them to do a 30th anniversary tour for the first one.

No one's going to care about the second one (even though it's a good album and fuck you all ;))

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
:lol:

It's like he think's he's part of it ;)

Travis The Dragon
04-28-2014, 02:47 PM
It's like he think's he's part of it ;)

:lol: It sure feels like it at times!

As far as Mindcrime goes, it's my most favorite album by them so of course I'd love to hear it performed with Todd.

MPF
04-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Not true. I guarantee the majority of Queensryche fans would want them to do a 30th anniversary tour for the first one.

No one's going to care about the second one (even though it's a good album and fuck you all ;))

I think at this point more people are just happy to have one Queensryche going. If they wanna see Mindcrime they can get it from Taint.

Granted I still like Queensryche a lot but this whole debacle makes it hard to be a fan, much like Portnoy leaving DT in 2010.

ravenheart
04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Just give less of a shit. It's really not all that hard, and I don't see how any of this has made any difference to being a fan. So far I've got two good albums and a good tour out of it. I would have been perfectly happy with no settlement at all.

Travis The Dragon
04-28-2014, 04:11 PM
It's because of all the shit Tate has put the band through over the years that fans are so happy to have this outcome. He was fired from the band so he should have gone on without using the QR name and just been a solo act. Instead, he started his own QR and then filed a lawsuit so he could try get full rights to the QR name which made people respect him even less. Well, that sure didn't work out for him as we have just seen. I'm sure you'll all find something in this to argue me on since that's you seem to enjoy doing with me lately even though I am presenting facts to you. And in case you didn't go here (http://www.vindication156.net/index.php?topic=136.0) and read that, I'm going to copy it here so you can know what Tate has truly been like.

I promised you guys once there was a settlement, that I’d explain my connection with what transpired in the Queensr˙che camp over the past several years and why The Breakdown Room was so vilified by the Tates.

That time has finally come. It’s nothing earth-shattering, but it will give everyone a better understanding of why things transpired the way they did and will fill in some gaps that really aren’t publicly known.

The story starts in late 2005. As you all know, Jason Slater joined The Breakdown Room and posted various comments about QR and music. I interviewed him -- http://www.breakdownroom.net/slater-article.html -- and through that, he and I became friends. Lucretia and I were invited down to his studio in early 2006 to listen to Operation: Mindcrime II right where it was recorded in the Bay Area.

That listening session turned into a 14-hour marathon where we hung out and really got to know one another, kicking off a friendship that lasted for more than six years. During that time, Jason and I got together numerous times at his studio, at concerts, etc. We also spent hours at a clip talking on the phone, discussing Queensr˙che, what the band was doing, his frustration with how the band did business and a variety of other things.

Slater was (and is) an interesting guy. He was prone to exaggeration and said a few things to Lucretia and I that flat-out didn’t make sense, so we used to joke that we needed to take anything he said with a “huge lump of salt.” Because whatever he said, it always had a bit of truth about it, but you were never quite sure how much of it was colored because of his loyalty to Geoff and Susan.

It was something I could never figure out, honestly. Still haven’t. For years the guy tried pushing that I should mend fences with Susan and convincing me that Wilton, Rockenfield and Jackson were lazy and weren’t as good of musicians as I knew they were.

For example, at one point, he tried telling me that Michael Wilton couldn’t alternate-pick (for you non-musical types, that means going up and down on the strings in rapid succession – something needed for technical guitar playing, particularly in leads). Lucretia and I got a huge laugh about that one, as it was completely bewildering to listen to Slater try and say that, yet we’ve seen Michael do it in front of our faces for years. Unbelievable.

Suffice it to say, a lot of what went on behind the scenes during that time (2006-2012), you guys know because of the declarations filed in the lawsuit. There’s a lot more I could say regarding the things Slater and I discussed, but it’s really not necessary at this point. You’ve all read his blog, his excuses over the years for various records, etc. It’s all logged at The Breakdown Room.

Fast-forward to 2012. Early in the year (late January or early February, I think), Slater and I are talking, and he drops a bomb on me. He explains that the Tates have allegedly concocted a plan for Geoff to walk away from Queensr˙che after one last milking of Operation: Mindcrime.

Slater explained that the Tate’s were planning to do Mindcrime for a big pay day one final time. At the conclusion of that tour, Tate would then refuse to tour again with Queensr˙che, effectively putting an end of the band, and cutting off the ability for Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfield to make a living touring.

When I pressed Slater to elaborate, he added that Geoff “was Queensr˙che,” and the other guys have had a long enough time riding Tate’s coattails and taking advantage of his “hard work.” So the plan –according to Slater -- basically was for Geoff to leave Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfield high and dry and walk away, cutting their business out from under them.

I know what you’re thinking – how could Geoff afford to do that himself?

Well, for starters, remember in the declarations how the Tateryche era of Queensr˙che progressed. The guys were really cut out of the creative process of all the studio albums over the course of six years. Mindcrime II (just a handful of credits for Rock, Whip, Jax), American Soldier (none, except for Rock, who was credited on two leftover STTS tracks that were recycled), and D2C (a few, but remember, Rockenfield was good buddies with Tate from 2009-2011).

Sure, the publishing from that wasn’t a ton of money. But what it did do is set up an argument that Tate “was Queensr˙che.” That argument surfaced during the lawsuit (remember 81 percent?). Essentially, it was setting Tate up to make a case that he was the creative master of the band. We know that not to be true, but it was a bit of foresight and pre-planning for this whole scheme, in my opinion.

Now, right around the same time, Tate was -- unbeknownst to the band members -- selling the movie rights to Operation: Mindcrime. That was reported in the declarations. If I recall correctly, Tate was going to receive and pocket $1 million. Had Scott not gotten that erroneous email from the person buying the rights and put a stop to it, Tate would have walked away with a cool million.

Combine that with what I just said above about Tate’s plans to stop touring, and you get an idea of what the ultimate goal was: Build up a ton of cash, and then stop dead in the tracks, leaving the other guys to scramble to come up with a revenue stream for themselves – meanwhile, Tate would have had $1 million he could have invested to help live off of after he walked away from performing.

So, back to that conversation with Slater. I had a real problem. At that point, I still considered Slater a friend. But I also had become real good friends with the Wiltons. Michael and his wife are great people. On one hand, I didn’t want to betray one friend (Slater), but if I didn’t, then my other friend (Michael) would be crushed and his livelihood taken away. It was gut-wrenching to me. I’m a straight shooter and a man of principle. I don’t violate the trust people have in me. But I was stuck in a no-win situation here. One way or another, I was going to either watch one friend get hurt, or lose a friend if I opened my mouth.

I slept on it, but ultimately decided that the right thing to do was call Michael and tell him everything I had heard.

I made that call to him in (I think) late January/early February 2012. I explained everything Slater told me about Tate’s alleged plan. Recounted every single detail. As you could imagine, Michael was hit like a ton of bricks. We got off the phone after a few minutes, with me telling him the whole “hey, it’s coming from Slater, so take this with a huge grain of salt,” caveat. But I encouraged him to really look into what was going on behind the scenes, and protect himself in case it was true. I remember the call like it was yesterday.

You guys know how things moved from there, based on the declarations. Scott got the email about the Mindcrime movie rights deal Tate was trying to cut without them, and then the guys started making moves to get control of their business, calling meetings and making decisions to get rid of Tate’s family members working for them. And ultimately, that led (I assume) to their decision to fire Susan Tate as manager and Geoff going off the deep end with his assault of Michael and Scott in Brazil.

About a month after the Brazil incident (prior to Rising West being announced) I was on vacation with the family and got a call from Slater. I knew it was coming at some point and dreaded it. Slater flat-out asked me if I told Michael what he told me about Geoff’s plan. I confirmed that I did. I apologized for violating his trust, but told him that he put me in a spot where had I kept my mouth closed, another friend would lose his livelihood, and I couldn’t do that to him.

I explained that I felt I did the right thing. He was upset, as you could imagine. It was obvious during that phone call that the Tates realized that their plan had been revealed to the band and then called Slater out about it. Slater mentioned a couple times on that phone call to me that “those guys” would never “get their act together without Geoff,” and I had made a mistake telling Wilton.

I replied to him that I didn’t think the guys (Wilton, Rockenfield, Jackson) were going to roll over to Geoff now that they knew what was going on. I encouraged Slater to separate himself from the Tates. For years, ever since I met him, all he did was complain about how much he couldn’t stand how Susan Tate conducted business, and hated having to work with Kelly Gray. But he kept going back to them time and time again. I told him that his career was going to take a further nosedive (particularly since the abortion that was Dedicated to Chaos) if he kept aligning himself with the Tates. We hung up. That was the last phone conversation I had with Slater.

You guys know what went on from there – Rising West happened, the lawsuit was filed, RW became Queensryche, and all the drama that ensued.

The Breakdown Room then became even more vilified by Tate, and eventually his supporters, as people close to the Tates started allegedly dropping comments about me, the site and my involvement in what went on.

Regarding that -- the lawsuit -- as you also know, my name was brought up in it. Basically what happened there was, Tate’s attorneys wanted the emails and texts sent between myself and the people in the lawsuit (Michael, Scott, Eddie and their spouses). They got ‘em. Mostly, they were texts and emails to Michael’s wife about restaurant recommendations, vacations and personal things we discussed. There were a few band-related ones as well. I know there was an exchange between Michael’s wife and I laughing about how the lens fell out of Geoff’s goggles at the M3 festival. That’s really about it, honestly.

After reading all the public material on the lawsuit and seeing what possible arguments Tate’s attorney could make, I saw what their really bad angle likely would be. Myself and other attorneys felt they were trying to paint this argument that I was in bed with the band and using information from them to use The Breakdown Room as a smear campaign toward Geoff’s character. Note some of the language used by the Tate supporters over the last year or so that focuses on “smear campaign.” It very much points toward that being the argument.

Of course, that argument is pointless – The Breakdown Room allowed fans to comment on what Geoff himself did, that’s it. Geoff made his own bed and provided the material A clear set of rules dictated how discussion of that was conducted on The Breakdown Room. My relationship with Michael and his wife aside, all my public comments on that board are open and viewable – and nothing at all shows supports that asinine theory that the Wiltons and I were in “cahoots” to smear Tate. Far from it.

To be really frank, Michael and his wife are above that sort of thing, as am I. We kept any discussion of the band to a minimum and we still do. We’re friends. And the band talk is best left to the fans. Sure, we chatted a little bit about Queensr˙che (that's really only natural, since it is what Michael does for a living), but it was more about the songs they were working on and the positive aspects of things. Not about the drama or business. Everyone respected the line that was drawn. And that won’t ever change.

But now you see why The Breakdown Room and I (and later, Lucretia) were such big targets of the Tates and their supporters in 2012 and 2013. People have said a lot of bullshit over the years about me as a person and my alleged “motives,” with The Breakdown Room. But hopefully after this post, people have a better understanding of just what type of man I am, and have a little appreciation for how I handled my forum and WHY.

The mods wanted me to post this “explainer” here for everyone and with the band announcing that it has reached a settlement with Tate, I feel now is the right time to do it. Hopefully the above has filled in some of the knowledge gap and given people a renewed perspective on my and The Breakdown Room’s “role” in what transpired from 2012-present.

Steev
04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
I think at this point more people are just happy to have one Queensryche going. If they wanna see Mindcrime they can get it from Taint.

Granted I still like Queensryche a lot but this whole debacle makes it hard to be a fan, much like Portnoy leaving DT in 2010.

This seemed more ugly than DT. Also I'm still convinced they reunite in 2 or 3 years.

MPF
04-28-2014, 04:43 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/queensryche-cd-craigs-list.jpg

EvilCheeseWedge
04-28-2014, 06:55 PM
I honestly think everybody walks away from the last two years of this and this settlement looking like a loser. GT looks like an ass, and the band... wow. Where's the credibility? They basically flat out admitted in the court documents that they were phoning it in for the paycheck since Promised Land. That's half their careers. They admitted to not playing on their own albums, like Mindcrime 2. That's just sad.

I honestly expect both entities going forward to have diminishing returns. I mean, QR of the last decade hasn't exactly been a top tier band, and Todd isn't the type of vocalist, and the guys in QR aren't the kind of songwriters, that are going to pull off anything truly inspiring. And GT will execute mediocre ideas with mediocre musicians.

Travis The Dragon
04-28-2014, 10:08 PM
I agree with GT and his band. I haven't read the court docs so I can't comment on that. The band didn't even want to write Mindcrime 2 so Tate hired outside musicians and did the same thing for the 2 albums that followed it. It would be interesting to hear why they kept Tate on board as long as they did. That would be a great question for them.

I'm quite convinced that Tate doesn't has any future, but QR will definitely increase in popularity. There's no way they'll be as popular as they were in the early 90's though, but I think they could get to the point where they're playing in front of crowds of 4,000-6,000. Based on the reaction to Todd and their new album over at the QR forums who were the same people who hated Dedicated To Chaos, I think they've already shown that Todd is the type of vocalist they need and that they're capable of writing some great material and that will only get better.

Well, let's wait and see what happens in the future. All that matters now is that the band got the name which they truly deserve IMO and can move on now and put all the BS behind them. Now, time to start a thread for the new album! They have written about 6 songs already. :tongue: :lol: No, it's definitely too early for that one, but don't worry. I will start ONLY one thread for the one and ONLY Queensryche! :rocker:

Steev
04-29-2014, 03:37 AM
I really doubt this will do anything for either side, both are going to pretty much continue song the path they've set out.

gilpdawg
04-29-2014, 04:48 AM
but I think they could get to the point where they're playing in front of crowds of 4,000-6,000.
MAYBE half that. Maybe.

MetalIsArt
04-29-2014, 05:22 AM
I agree with GT and his band. I haven't read the court docs so I can't comment on that. The band didn't even want to write Mindcrime 2 so Tate hired outside musicians and did the same thing for the 2 albums that followed it. It would be interesting to hear why they kept Tate on board as long as they did. That would be a great question for them.

I'm quite convinced that Tate doesn't has any future, but QR will definitely increase in popularity. There's no way they'll be as popular as they were in the early 90's though, but I think they could get to the point where they're playing in front of crowds of 4,000-6,000. Based on the reaction to Todd and their new album over at the QR forums who were the same people who hated Dedicated To Chaos, I think they've already shown that Todd is the type of vocalist they need and that they're capable of writing some great material and that will only get better.

Well, let's wait and see what happens in the future. All that matters now is that the band got the name which they truly deserve IMO and can move on now and put all the BS behind them. Now, time to start a thread for the new album! They have written about 6 songs already. :tongue: :lol: No, it's definitely too early for that one, but don't worry. I will start ONLY one thread for the one and ONLY Queensryche! :rocker:

This is so bootiful :boohoo:

ravenheart
04-29-2014, 05:23 AM
MAYBE half that. Maybe.

Even that's unlikely. They have always been as popular in London as more or less anywhere else, and they couldn't sell 800 tickets here when touring the new album.

I don't think they've got anything amazing enough in them to start regularly playing to 2000 people. Hell, they can't even get a coherent tour booked in their own country. Although maybe they will be able to now, if what they were alleging, that promoters were booking Tate's band because they were cheaper, is actually true.

Steev
04-29-2014, 08:20 AM
Even that's unlikely. They have always been as popular in London as more or less anywhere else, and they couldn't sell 800 tickets here when touring the new album.

I don't think they've got anything amazing enough in them to start regularly playing to 2000 people. Hell, they can't even get a coherent tour booked in their own country. Although maybe they will be able to now, if what they were alleging, that promoters were booking Tate's band because they were cheaper, is actually true.

Even with Tate they were playing venues in Philly that maybe hold 1000, and tickets were always discounted when it got closer to the date

ravenheart
04-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Even with Tate they were playing venues in Philly that maybe hold 1000

Yep, same. Even when they came here on the Mindcrime tour they half sold a place that holds 1800.

TheWildAndTheYoung
04-29-2014, 09:41 AM
After seeing them at M3, I am now real excited for what this band has in store for the future and now I will definitely want to see them if they come down here.

Steev
04-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Yep, same. Even when they came here on the Mindcrime tour they half sold a place that holds 1800.

The biggest venues in Philly they've played in the past decade held between 1,000-1,300 people, interestingly enough though the Tate version just played a venue in Atlantic City that holds 5,500.

Meanwhile the other version of the band has not played anywhere in the area yet.

MetalIsArt
04-29-2014, 10:24 AM
The biggest venues in Philly they've played in the past decade held between 1,000-1,300 people, interestingly enough though the Tate version just played a venue in Atlantic City that holds 5,500.

Meanwhile the other version of the band has not played anywhere in the area yet.

There was a barbecue somewhere near your area, tho. Maybe there...

Steev
04-29-2014, 10:32 AM
There was a barbecue somewhere near your area, tho. Maybe there...

All I keep seeing is "Penn's Peak" and I'm not sure how far that is from Philly. Geoff's solo band did a place that was maybe a 10 minute drive away.

PVH5150
04-29-2014, 11:23 AM
All I keep seeing is "Penn's Peak" and I'm not sure how far that is from Philly. Geoff's solo band did a place that was maybe a 10 minute drive away.

Penn's Peak is in Jim Thorpe, PA. It's about 80 miles NW of Philly. Kinda between Stroudsburg and Wilkes Barre.

PVH5150
04-29-2014, 02:00 PM
More than thirty years after setting forth on the musical journey that would become known as QUEENSRYCHE, singer GEOFF TATE -- one of rock's quintessential front men and the lead vocalist heard on all Queensryche hits -- will be performing his farewell tour as "Queensryche" beginning in late July.

The announcement of the tour, Queensryche Starring Geoff Tate - The Farewell Tour, comes hot on the heels of the recent amicable settlement with his former band mates Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson and Scott Rockenfield, who will be continuing with the band name.

With Geoff at the helm of Queensryche, the band experienced incredible success, garnering four Grammy nominations, performing in 46 different countries and selling over 20 million albums worldwide.

"One thing that's really important for fans to know is that this never went to court," comments Geoff Tate, who will be continuing as Geoff Tate: The Voice of Queensryche once the summer farewell tour is complete.

As part of the agreement between the original members, Geoff will have the exclusive right to perform the concept albums Operation: Mindcrime and Operation: Mindcrime II as unique performances.

For the past several months, Geoff and his version of Queensryche (comprised of bassist Rudy Sarzo, guitarist Robert Sarzo, guitarist Kelly Gray, drummer Simon Wright and keyboardist Randy Gane) have been performing the fan favorite on their 25th Anniversary Mindcrime Tour (with special guest Sass Jordan as "Sister Mary") in front of sold out audiences everywhere.

"It's sort of similar to the PINK FLOYD situation where Roger Waters retained The Wall," comments Geoff. "Mindcrime was my thing and my story, so it's only appropriate that I keep that... The others will be touring as Queensryche and I'll be continuing on as me."

The popularity of the theatrical back-to-back presentation of the Operation: Mindcrime saga (I and II) was exemplified when the performance was captured for the 2007 double DVD/CD set, Mindcrime At The Moore, that hit #1 on Billboard's Top Music DVD Chart and eventually reached gold status.

For the forthcoming tour, Geoff's version of Queensryche will be performing all the hits along with some rarities to celebrate the music he's enjoyed making over the past thirty years.

Although the name will change, the line-up of stellar musicians performing with Geoff after this "farewell" tour is expected to remain the same. Tickets go on sale for the majority of shows this Friday, May 2nd and this Saturday, May 3rd.

Farewell dates:

July
30 – Hermosa Beach, CA – Saint Rocke
31 – San Juan Capistrano, CA – The Coach House

August
1 – El Cajon, CA – Sycuan Casino
2 – Las Vegas, NV – House of Blues
3 – Agoura, CA – The Canyon Club
7 – Fresno, CA – Strummer’s
8 – Vacaville, CA – Theater Deville
9 – Morgan Hill, CA – Downtown Amphitheater
12 – Nashville, TN – Music Marathon Works
13 – Raleigh, NC – Lincoln Theater
14 – Charlotte, NC – The Chop Shop
15 – Wilmington, NC – Ziggy’s
16 – Winston-Salem, NC – Ziggy’s
17 – Atlanta, GA – Center Stage
19 – Dallas, TX – Trees
20 – San Antonio, TX – Aztec Theater
22 – Tucson, AX – Rialto Theatre
23 – Scottsdale, AZ – Talking Stick Resort
24 – Albuquerque, NM – Sunshine Theater
26 – Salt Lake City, UT – The Depot
28 – Wichita, KS – The Cotillion
30 – Bolingbrook, IL - Tailgaters

anomynous
04-29-2014, 02:04 PM
fucking lol

mankvill
04-29-2014, 02:23 PM
GEOFF TATE -- one of rock's quintessential front men

top lol

ravenheart
04-29-2014, 02:26 PM
For the past several months, Geoff and his version of Queensryche (comprised of bassist Rudy Sarzo, guitarist Robert Sarzo, guitarist Kelly Gray, drummer Simon Wright and keyboardist Randy Gane) have been performing the fan favorite on their 25th Anniversary Mindcrime Tour (with special guest Sass Jordan as "Sister Mary") in front of sold out audiences everywhere.

:eyes:

Travis The Dragon
04-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Rudy and Simon played it smart and got out of this as you will see here (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/project-rock-featuring-ex-members-of-judas-priest-acdc-ozzy-osbourne-new-russian-tour-footage/). A very smart move on their part.

What a fucking ass Tate is by calling this a QR farewell tour. He was fired from QR! He should have then went on as a solo act and not even used the QR name. But no, he had to go and sue his former bandmates so he could have the QR name all to himself!

Ya, I'm pretty sure you're right about Tate's promoter. With Tate being such an ass of calling the upcoming tour QR's farewell tour, we know more of what he is really like and what lows he is capable of sinking to.

Another reason I think QR's future is better than most want to think on here is because of how long it has been since we have seen this much excitement generated by the fans on their forums and facebook pages. It's just amazing! Once Tate is finally and truly done with his BS after his tour, I think most on here will be surprised at how well things will turn out for QR. As the Asia song goes, only time will tell.

Steev
04-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Rudy and Simon played it smart and got out of this as you will see here (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/project-rock-featuring-ex-members-of-judas-priest-acdc-ozzy-osbourne-new-russian-tour-footage/). A very smart move on their part.

What a fucking ass Tate is by calling this a QR farewell tour. He was fired from QR! He should have then went on as a solo act and not even used the QR name. But no, he had to go and sue his former bandmates so he could have the QR name all to himself!

Ya, I'm pretty sure you're right about Tate's promoter. With Tate being such an ass of calling the upcoming tour QR's farewell tour, we know more of what he is really like and what lows he is capable of sinking to.

Another reason I think QR's future is better than most want to think on here is because of how long it has been since we have seen this much excitement generated by the fans on their forums and facebook pages. It's just amazing! Once Tate is finally and truly done with his BS after his tour, I think most on here will be surprised at how well things will turn out for QR. As the Asia song goes, only time will tell.

Nowhere does it say Rudy and Simon left, it just says they're doing shows with another band.

Breaking The Law
04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=Travis The Dragon;569732]Rudy and Simon played it smart and got out of this as you will see here (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/project-rock-featuring-ex-members-of-judas-priest-acdc-ozzy-osbourne-new-russian-tour-footage/). A very smart move on their part.

I don't see anywhere in that story that they are no longer with Tate.

300%_Density
04-29-2014, 04:15 PM

He sold out my living room. It was packed. Asses to elbows in there.

SepticFlesh13
04-29-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm a little confused not that I really care. But does this mean he won't be able to perform any Queensryche material other than Mindcrime I and II after his "farewell tour"?

MPF
04-29-2014, 05:56 PM
I'm a little confused not that I really care. But does this mean he won't be able to perform any Queensryche material other than Mindcrime I and II after his "farewell tour"?

No, but I think on this farewell tour he only wants to do Mindcrime since it's his creation.

Sanitarium78
04-29-2014, 07:33 PM
It's good that it's settled and this will help Queensryche to book shows properly since they're the only Ryche out there now. I can only see them play venues that have a capacity of 1,000-1,500 though. Fonz thinking they can fill 4,000-6,000 capacity is one of the most delusional things i've ever read on here. I think Megadeth and Slayer even have trouble selling out venues that size. This new version of Queensryche may gain some popularity back after a few years but no way they will ever be at that level.

ravenheart
04-30-2014, 01:03 AM

It's not amazing at all because that "excitement" is confined purely to forums. It's not translating into feet on the ground at shows, or excitement anywhere else except the band's own forums, so it all means nothing.

And the Project Rock tour is massively old news, booked ages ago including Wright and Sarzo, who have played shows with Tate since they were confirmed as part of that tour. It doesn't mean they've left his band, and nowhere in that outdated article does it say they have.

Onioner
04-30-2014, 02:01 AM
It's not amazing at all because that "excitement" is confined purely to forums. It's not translating into feet on the ground at shows, or excitement anywhere else except the band's own forums, so it all means nothing.

As much as I hate to back up fonz, the sales numbers for the last album don't lie. Selling 13.5k in the first week for S/T was definitely a notable jump from the 8k that Dedicated to Chaos did. Did that get totally fucked up by them releasing an album that's only alright (I'm still not too fond of S/T personally) and them not touring their asses off? (Which could have been Tate undercutting them for guarantees, could have been poor management/booking agents, who the fuck knows) Yeah, I think it did. They're a far superior live band now than they were just two years ago, but barely anyone outside the forums, this one included, seem to be aware of it.

Yeah, I think Queensryche isn't much better off compared to three years ago right now, but I think there was momentum and at least some level of excitement beyond the forum-space before and when S/T came out. My point is that the excitement and momentum that fonz keeps alluding to certainly existed at one point, but the band goofed and didn't make the best use of it.

As fucking dumb as fonz's extremely strange and weirdly childlike fanboyness is, ignoring numbers for the sake of standing in opposition to him isn't much more intelligent than making a new topic for every damn half-update on this tomfoolery.

MetalIsArt

It's true. There were 40 people at my wedding banquet, and it was fully reserved.

That Tate sure can drink some wine yo.

MetalIsArt

Probably Dante's Peak.

ravenheart
04-30-2014, 04:12 AM
As fucking dumb as fonz's extremely strange and weirdly childlike fanboyness is, ignoring numbers for the sake of standing in opposition to him isn't much more intelligent than making a new topic for every damn half-update on this tomfoolery.

Yeah, they sold more albums, but numbers don't tell the story, what the numbers come from, and what they mean tell the story, and I am willing to bet a large amount that they only sold those extra albums to existing Queensryche fans who simply didn't buy the last two shitty ones, the exact same fans who are now coming back to their forums and being enthusiastic about the band again.

I doubt very, very much that anyone new bought a Queensryche album, and therefore stand by what I already said. This extra excitement amongst exclusively Queensryche fans is not generating bigger crowds at the shows, which is where it really counts. Most of the fans who have come back to the band in terms of buying an album were probably in fact already attending shows to hear old songs and taking piss breaks during new songs, which is why the general crowd size hasn't gone up.

As I said, I'm sure the touring situation will improve a little for them Stateside not that Tate is going to stop using the name, but since Tate hasn't toured anywhere else, and Queensryche have, to generally poor crowds, I don't see the worldwide situation changing very much from its present state.

Steev
04-30-2014, 06:27 AM
Yeah, they sold more albums, but numbers don't tell the story, what the numbers come from, and what they mean tell the story, and I am willing to bet a large amount that they only sold those extra albums to existing Queensryche fans who simply didn't buy the last two shitty ones, the exact same fans who are now coming back to their forums and being enthusiastic about the band again.

I doubt very, very much that anyone new bought a Queensryche album, and therefore stand by what I already said. This extra excitement amongst exclusively Queensryche fans is not generating bigger crowds at the shows, which is where it really counts. Most of the fans who have come back to the band in terms of buying an album were probably in fact already attending shows to hear old songs and taking piss breaks during new songs, which is why the general crowd size hasn't gone up.

As I said, I'm sure the touring situation will improve a little for them Stateside not that Tate is going to stop using the name, but since Tate hasn't toured anywhere else, and Queensryche have, to generally poor crowds, I don't see the worldwide situation changing very much from its present state.

Sometime in the mid 2000's the crowds started dropping off, and I don't see that changing. Tate's version already played a lot of major markets and I don't see the dwindling fanbase going to see both versions. Even their label hasn't done much to promote s/t album. Nevermind the fact that even Tate's solo band was getting gigs with Alice Cooper and things like Shiprocked.

But like I said before this just screams inevitable reunion to try and bring people back.

ravenheart
04-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Sometime in the mid 2000's the crowds started dropping off, and I don't see that changing.

It hasn't helped that a lot of hardcore 'ryche fans are so childish that they've actually picked sides.

Steev
04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
It hasn't helped that a lot of hardcore 'ryche fans are so childish that they've actually picked sides.

Case in point the majority of the threads here, can't they just be like Pantera fans and be desperate for anything from the members?

John The Drummer
04-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Case in point the majority of the threads here, can't they just be like Pantera fans and be desperate for anything from the members?

PERRRRRRRNTUUUUUUUUU
URRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUU
UUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
!!!!!!!!

Derelict
04-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Tate comparing himself to Roger Waters just made my day.

ravenheart
04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Tate comparing himself to Roger Waters just made my day.

Except he's not, but the press release is still funny.

Travis The Dragon
04-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Sometime in the mid 2000's the crowds started dropping off, and I don't see that changing. Tate's version already played a lot of major markets and I don't see the dwindling fanbase going to see both versions. Even their label hasn't done much to promote s/t album. Nevermind the fact that even Tate's solo band was getting gigs with Alice Cooper and things like Shiprocked.

But like I said before this just screams inevitable reunion to try and bring people back.

The crowds started to drop off because their albums started to really suck. However look at the increase in sales from Dedicated To Chaos to the s/t album and how much everyone loved it. I only see that number going up on the next album. The band did say they're going to make it more progressive sounding so that should help them.

I still think they'll end up doing better than most seem to think on here. It may take a couple album releases to get to that point, but I do think it's possible. I also think that a very slight possibility exists that they could get Chris DeGarmo to join as a third guitar player. I'm probably dreaming on that one, but if they did, it would help them quite a bit.

MPF
04-30-2014, 02:07 PM
They aren't going to be any bigger than they are right now. You can't buy this much exposure.

Hell even when Portnoy left Dream Theater with all the turmoil going on there DT is still playing the same sized venues, the only exception being the last MN show since the State Theater already had the place booked.

Queensryche is back and almost better than ever with the new album, but that's not going to lead to them playing venues triple the size of where they are now. That shipped sailed in the 2000s.

Travis The Dragon
04-30-2014, 02:23 PM
They aren't going to be any bigger than they are right now. You can't buy this much exposure.

Hell even when Portnoy left Dream Theater with all the turmoil going on there DT is still playing the same sized venues, the only exception being the last MN show since the State Theater already had the place booked.

Queensryche is back and almost better than ever with the new album, but that's not going to lead to them playing venues triple the size of where they are now. That shipped sailed in the 2000s.

That's because in the 2000's they started to release shit albums and Tate started to become a problem. That is no longer the case so I'm holding on to the possibility that they will increase in popularity by at least double at the very least.

MPF
04-30-2014, 02:32 PM
That's because in the 2000's they started to release shit albums and Tate started to become a problem. That is no longer the case so I'm holding on to the possibility that they will increase in popularity by at least double at the very least.

No they started releasing shit after Promised Land ;)

If they double their popularity, I will eat crow, but I HIGHLY doubt it will be the case.

Steev
04-30-2014, 03:06 PM

DT played a different smaller venue in Philly in 2011(and had another area show cancelled-but that was due to the venue going to shit), but by this year they were back to the same place they've more or less headlined when playing here throughout their career. That being said DT was out there a lot more and was out in a position where they weren't too hindered by Portnoy leaving. It's just silly to think Queensryche is going to have this renaissance and all of a sudden go back to headlining places they haven't since like 1995.

MPF
04-30-2014, 03:08 PM
DT played a different smaller venue in Philly in 2011(and had another area show cancelled-but that was due to the venue going to shit), but by this year they were back to the same place they've more or less headlined when playing here throughout their career. That being said DT was out there a lot more and was out in a position where they weren't too hindered by Portnoy leaving. It's just silly to think Queensryche is going to have this renaissance and all of a sudden go back to headlining places they haven't since like 1995.

Precisely. And I love Queensryche, I'm just realistic.

Travis The Dragon
04-30-2014, 03:11 PM
It's just silly to think Queensryche is going to have this renaissance and all of a sudden go back to headlining places they haven't since like 1995.

Neither I nor anyone else on here has said or thought they would headline like they did back in the early 90's. I said the possibility exists that they could double or triple how popular they are right now.

Steev
04-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Playing bike rally's and festivals like M3 isn't gonna do it. In all honestly opening for someone like Avenged Sevenfold is about the only thing that's gonna cause them to have a spike in record sales(and that's a huge maybe).

SomewhereInTime72
04-30-2014, 06:41 PM
I honestly think everybody walks away from the last two years of this and this settlement looking like a loser. GT looks like an ass, and the band... wow. Where's the credibility? They basically flat out admitted in the court documents that they were phoning it in for the paycheck since Promised Land. That's half their careers. They admitted to not playing on their own albums, like Mindcrime 2. That's just sad.

I honestly expect both entities going forward to have diminishing returns. I mean, QR of the last decade hasn't exactly been a top tier band, and Todd isn't the type of vocalist, and the guys in QR aren't the kind of songwriters, that are going to pull off anything truly inspiring. And GT will execute mediocre ideas with mediocre musicians.
Sums up my thoughts pretty well. Barely care at all that the situation has resolved (and basically nothing has changed anyway). :hmm:

Steev
04-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Sums up my thoughts pretty well. Barely care at all that the situation has resolved (and basically nothing has changed anyway). :hmm:

Nothing changed at all, Geoff will keep doing the weird stuff he's been doing and the rest of the band will turn out passable albums.

ravenheart
04-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Neither I nor anyone else on here has said or thought they would headline like they did back in the early 90's.

Yes, you did. You said you expect them to headline 4000-6000 capacity venues again. That's the level they were at in the '90s.

Steev
05-01-2014, 05:03 AM
Yes, you did. You said you expect them to headline 4000-6000 capacity venues again. That's the level they were at in the '90s.

Yep I read that too, then again I also read that Tate's rhythm section bailed(which they didn't)

Travis The Dragon
05-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Well, I do know they were doing much better than that on the Empire tour and selling out 15,000+ seat arenas and on the Promised Land tour, I thought they were playing to crowds of at least 10,000 and after that, they started to slip. If I'm wrong about that, then please let me know.

dcmetal108
05-01-2014, 03:25 PM
The the final Tate tour they are playing a bar here lol

energymetal14
05-01-2014, 04:00 PM
The the final Tate tour they are playing a bar here lol

Wow. He's one of rock's all-time greats, he should be headlining at least theaters, if not small arenas.

ravenheart
05-02-2014, 01:14 AM
Wow. He's one of rock's all-time greats, he should be headlining at least theaters, if not small arenas.

Seriously the best thing he could do next, given that Judas Priest aren't touring properly anymore, and Maiden will be done touring for a while and just be working on their album soon, is actually do The Three Tremors. That might actually regain some of his notoriety.

gilpdawg
05-02-2014, 01:18 AM
No, you're missing the point. They could release the best album since Mindcrime and the crowds aren't going to get that much bigger. The pool where they are drawing from is a small pool. It's like Saxon. Released their best work in 20 years, and played in front of 500 people every night. Because, frankly, nobody cares about Saxon, no matter how good or bad the albums are, and Queensryche is in that same boat. No more than 2000 people are going to see them in almost every market even if they put out friggin Abbey Road.

MetalIsArt
05-02-2014, 03:21 AM
No, you're missing the point. They could release the best album since Mindcrime and the crowds aren't going to get that much bigger. The pool where they are drawing from is a small pool. It's like Saxon. Released their best work in 20 years, and played in front of 500 people every night. Because, frankly, nobody cares about Saxon, no matter how good or bad the albums are, and Queensryche is in that same boat. No more than 2000 people are going to see them in almost every market even if they put out friggin Abbey Road.

Actually, I care about Saxon.

ravenheart
05-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Actually, I care about Saxon.

:tp:

MetalIsArt
05-02-2014, 03:24 AM
:tp:

Ah yes, the skeptical one.

I like their music and I enjoyed them immensly live 2 years go.

ravenheart
05-02-2014, 03:30 AM
I don't doubt you like Saxon. Lots of us here do. The point was one person liking Saxon doesn't disprove what gilp was saying ;)

MetalIsArt
05-02-2014, 03:55 AM
I don't doubt you like Saxon. Lots of us here do. The point was one person liking Saxon doesn't disprove what gilp was saying ;)

That Queensryche should stop? Yeah. ;)

Travis The Dragon
05-02-2014, 02:08 PM

Saxon was never as popular as QR were at their peak.

For the following reasons, I think QR will gain some more popularity. How much is hard to say at this point, but I have a good feeling for the following reasons, it will increase:

1. The fact that the album sales from Dedicated To Chaos to the new album increased tells me they'll probably increase more with the next release as more word gets out by the fans of how much they have improved.

2. Everyone on Facebook and the forums is loving the album and have a reason to spread the word about it.

3. The same people are loving Todd's vocals and again will spread the word to others about how amazing he is.

Before, there weren't any good reasons for fans to spread the word about this band, but now there are. I know this is all a bit repetitive, but now maybe others on here will realize why there is a good possibility that we will see an increase in popularity for this band.

ravenheart
05-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Well done for missing the point, again, but in such a long-winded way.

Sanitarium78
05-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Saxon was never as popular as QR were at their peak.

The poster never said anything about Saxon ever being at the same level of popularity as Queensryche was at their peak. All that was stated is that both bands are at the same level right now which is pretty much right on. As usual you're fandom for this band makes you blind to the points people are making.

Travis The Dragon
05-03-2014, 12:00 PM
I just wish people would be a little more open minded on this and at least be open to the possibility that QR could gain some more popularity than they currently have. Based on the 3 reasons I gave, I feel it is a possibility.

Sanitarium78
05-03-2014, 12:25 PM
I just wish people would be a little more open minded on this and at least be open to the possibility that QR could gain some more popularity than they currently have. Based on the 3 reasons I gave, I feel it is a possibility.

It's not that we don't think it's possible for them to gain some popularity back. It's that no one believes for a second they'll gain back the amount you think they will.

Travis The Dragon
05-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Well, I would like to add another point. Empire sold over 3 million copies and after that, they started to go downhill. So, this is a band who has a lot of potential fans out there who may not even be aware of what has been going on and again, if the word keeps getting around to those fans from the Empire days and they are able to hear the new album, QR could gain many of their past fans back again. If just 1/3 of the people who bought Empire could be reached, that would be 1 million fans here in the USA. Now, that's really dreaming, but once tatewreck gets his crap farewell tour out of the way, that dream could come true. Well, that's what I'd love to see of course!

mankvill
05-03-2014, 03:20 PM
No one outside of heavy metal gives two shits about Queensryche. That's just the truth of it. They will never be "popular" again outside of their niche genre ever again.

Sanitarium78
05-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Well, I would like to add another point. Empire sold over 3 million copies and after that, they started to go downhill. So, this is a band who has a lot of potential fans out there who may not even be aware of what has been going on and again, if the word keeps getting around to those fans from the Empire days and they are able to hear the new album, QR could gain many of their past fans back again. If just 1/3 of the people who bought Empire could be reached, that would be 1 million fans here in the USA. Now, that's really dreaming, but once tatewreck gets his crap farewell tour out of the way, that dream could come true. Well, that's what I'd love to see of course!

While bands who were once popular sometimes to gain older fans back, they never gain that many old fans back. For the most part a lot of these fans have moved on in the 20 something years since Empire was a hit. If you told them what was going on now they simply wouldn't give a shit because Queensryche is not that big of a deal to them anymore. It's better to let go of the dream that they can somehow have this huge revival and just be happy that the lawsuit is settled and that the band will draw respectable crowds (around a 1,000 or so) for the rest of their career. In the end you're only going to be disappointed when the Queensryche revival hasn't taken off in the next few years. Their next album will probably sell about the same as the new one and that's as successful as they'll be which overall isn't that bad.

Travis The Dragon
05-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Well, the dream of them gaining a lot more popularity is one that I know most likely won't happen, but I think there's a good chance they could do up to 3 or 4 times better than they are now, but you're already very well aware of how I feel and I'm quite aware how the rest of you feel so let's let it be at that and see what happens next.

ravenheart
05-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Well, the dream of them gaining a lot more popularity is one that I know most likely won't happen, but I think there's a good chance they could do up to 3 or 4 times better than they are now, but you're already very well aware of how I feel and I'm quite aware how the rest of you feel so let's let it be at that and see what happens next.

Three times what they do now is about 1500 people per show...

MetalIsArt
05-04-2014, 04:20 AM
Krellryche.

rjturtle9
05-04-2014, 07:52 AM
You guys are still arguing about this? I love Queensryche and all but damn! You two need to go outside and make friends or something.

Breaking The Law
05-04-2014, 08:13 AM
You guys are still arguing about this? I love Queensryche and all but damn! You two need to go outside and make friends or something.

Travis won't give up and everyone who has a different viewpoint than ravenheart is wrong and subjected to insults so this could go a while.

Steev
05-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Even that's a generous number

They've been outsold by most metal bands playing the same venue in Philly for years and that won't change because of this

MetalIsArt
05-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Travis won't give up and everyone who has a different viewpoint than ravenheart is wrong and subjected to insults so this could go a while.

:D

Travis The Dragon
05-04-2014, 12:58 PM
No, I'm really done. I've made every point I can think of and every point every one else can think of has also been made. Time to book Tate in my back yard and fire up the grill. Oh wait. Who'd want to eat rotten tater tots? :tongue:

John The Drummer
05-04-2014, 01:11 PM
This forum needs to instantly block or change any mention of "The 'ryche".... like... srsly.... Replace Queensryche with "Not Pantera" and replace "Geoff Tate" with "Chicken Salad".

I USED TO RUN A FORUM, I KNOW YOU CAN DO THESE THINGS!!!

PVH5150
05-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Varies greatly market to market. They did about 1,500 at the Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom last year.

Steev
05-04-2014, 04:26 PM
No, I'm really done. I've made every point I can think of and every point every one else can think of has also been made. Time to book Tate in my back yard and fire up the grill. Oh wait. Who'd want to eat rotten tater tots? :tongue:

It's comments like this that will make me never take you seriously

Travis The Dragon
05-04-2014, 07:29 PM
This forum needs to instantly block or change any mention of "The 'ryche".... like... srsly.... Replace Queensryche with "Not Pantera" and replace "Geoff Tate" with "Chicken Salad".

I USED TO RUN A FORUM, I KNOW YOU CAN DO THESE THINGS!!!

I bet that's because of how much stuff I've had on there about them. I would simply override it by putting a space in the name or spelling it wrong. :lol:

Anyway, it looks like the statement the band made wasn't the official press release and one will be made tomorrow morning. It'll be interesting to see what other details they talk about.

http://i.imgur.com/bs64CUR.jpg

MetalIsArt
05-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Dis thread has run it's course I'm afraid. :bliss:

Steev
05-05-2014, 06:00 AM

It ran it's course before it started

PVH5150
05-05-2014, 08:54 AM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryche-more-details-revealed-in-settlement-in-dispute-over-ownership-of-name/

DisposableJustice
05-05-2014, 09:26 AM

You know this is one of those things that will never end, right?:eyes:

MetalIsArt
05-05-2014, 09:48 AM
You know this is one of those things that will never end, right?:eyes:

WALK :bouville: :mad:

Travis The Dragon
05-05-2014, 02:22 PM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryche-more-details-revealed-in-settlement-in-dispute-over-ownership-of-name/

I'm so glad for QR with these results! That's so great that Tate won't be able to use the original voice of QR. The 2 choices he has make him sound more like a solo act.

Nater
07-30-2014, 12:12 PM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tates-queensryche-to-forge-ahead-as-operation-mindcrime/

John The Drummer
07-30-2014, 12:21 PM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tates-queensryche-to-forge-ahead-as-operation-mindcrime/

Paul Di'Anno 2.0

Now for Taint to sue all the QR tribute bands that go by the same exact name....

MPF
07-30-2014, 12:40 PM

How did you beat Travis on posting this???????????

Travis The Dragon
07-30-2014, 01:02 PM
:lol: I wonder if he'll still use "Geoff Tate, the original singer of Queensryche". Either way, it will be interesting to hear what he comes up with. I'm not counting on it being very good though.

marker
07-30-2014, 02:06 PM
How did you beat Travis on posting this???????????

Because Fonz sleeps until 3pm.

John The Drummer
07-30-2014, 02:07 PM

I miss being 13 :(

Nater
07-30-2014, 02:33 PM

I slept til 1PM today. I only saw it because it popped up in my Twitter feed.