PDA

View Full Version : 2013-2014 NBA Playoffs

AnthG
04-18-2014, 11:22 AM
I know there are some NBA fans here, so let's hear everyone's predictions for the first round.

Eastern Conference

(1) Indiana Pacers vs. (8) Atlanta hawks - Pacers in 5
(2) Miami Heat vs. (7) Charlotte Bobcats - Heat in 5
(3) Toronto Raptors vs. (6) Brooklyn Nets - Raptors in 7
(4) Chicago Bulls vs. (5) Washington Wizards - Bulls in 6

Western Conference

(1) San Antonio Spurs vs. (8) Dallas Mavericks - Spurs in 5
(2) Oklahoma City Thunder vs. (7) Memphis Grizzlies - Thunder in 4
(3) Los Angeles Clippers vs. (6) Golden State Warriors - Clippers in 6
(4) Houston Rockets vs. (5) Portland Trailblazers - Rockets in 7

Let's see who everyone else picks, or who you're rooting for in general, thoughts on the playoffs, this past season, etc. And remember, Go Raptors!

DisposableJustice
04-18-2014, 05:02 PM
I didn't really pay much attention to the NBA but I will just say the Spurs will get their payback vs. the Heat in the finals and win in 6

AnthG
04-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Ehh...we'll see.

DisposableJustice
04-19-2014, 04:15 PM
FUCK YOU BROOKKLYN!

Well, I guess we know that doesn't work:eyes:

AnthG
04-19-2014, 06:48 PM
I really wanted the Raps to draw Washington in the first round, and some of the calls in the 4th quarter showed why. Brooklyn played better overall and deserved to win, but the phantom call when Deron Williams basically flopped and Garnett not getting called for the foul late in the 4th were so blatantly obvious. Hopefully game 2 goes our way. I don't want to go down 0-2 heading to Brooklyn.

But Indiana and LA both lost so the higher seeded teams are winless so far.

AnthG
04-23-2014, 06:37 AM
BOO YAH! Series tied up now.

AnthG
04-30-2014, 07:35 AM
Miami advancing, and now Washington.

Oh and fuck Donald Sterling yadda yadda.

AnthG
05-05-2014, 06:45 AM
Goddamn, that fucking Game 7 of the Raps-Nets was stressful as fuck in the fourth quarter.

Predictions for Round 2:

Eastern Conference

(1) Indiana Pacers vs. (5) Washington Wizards - Pacers in 7
(2) Miami Heat vs. (6) Brooklyn Nets - Heat in 5 (Fuck Brooklyn. I hope Paul Pierce fails miserably at everything)

Western Conference

(1) San Antonio Spurs vs. (5) Portland Trail Blazers - Spurs in 6
(2) Oklahoma City Thunders vs. (3) Los Angeles Clippers - Thunder in 6

And blah blah blah i'm basically talking to myself in this thread. People need to like basketball more and then post more about basketball.

DisposableJustice
05-05-2014, 10:29 AM
I don't really follow basketball but I'll try....

I agree with your picks although I think both west series will go all the way to game 7

sorry about your Raptors I was hoping they would pull off the win

AnthG
05-06-2014, 11:02 PM
I just hope this season is a sign of things to come and not just a one-off appearance thanks to a shitty Eastern Conference and Kyle Lowry playing in a contract year.

AnthG
05-16-2014, 04:49 AM
So San Antonio and Oklahoma City advance in the west, and Miami and Indiana advance in the East. Gee, who didn't see that coming?

PREDICTIONS!

Eastern Conference

(1) Indiana Pacers vs. (2) Miami Heat - Heat in 6

Western Conference

(1) San Antonio Spurs vs. (2) Oklahoma City Thunder - Thunder in 7

DisposableJustice
05-16-2014, 12:21 PM
So San Antonio and Oklahoma City advance in the west, and Miami and Indiana advance in the East. Gee, who didn't see that coming?

PREDICTIONS!

Eastern Conference

(1) Indiana Pacers vs. (2) Miami Heat - Heat in 6

Western Conference

(1) San Antonio Spurs vs. (2) Oklahoma City Thunder - Thunder in 7

The way the Pacers have been playing they are lucky to get to 6 games; the only reason I agree with 6 is that they get home court;

I still say the Spurs advance to the finals in 7

marker
05-16-2014, 12:28 PM
I'll say Heat over Pacers in 6, and Spurs over OKC in 7. EDIT: Serge Ibaka is out for the playoffs, so I think it will be Spurs in 5, maybe even a sweep.

Then the Spurs take it in 7. No threepeat for Queen James!

AnthG
05-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Indiana won 3 of their games in the Washington series on the road, so maybe home court won't really mean anything in this series. It really hasn't in the playoffs so far with the amount of road victories we've seen so far.

DisposableJustice
06-01-2014, 08:29 PM
sticking to my original pick, Spurs in 7

AnthG
06-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Yay, another repeat finals matchup.

Actually I kind of like it. It allows for some more storyline bullshit that we all love.

marker
06-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Yay, another repeat finals matchup.

Actually I kind of like it. It allows for some more storyline bullshit that we all love.

I'm sticking to Spurs in 7. Where's your prediction?

AnthG
06-03-2014, 07:57 AM
I'll be one of the few non-Heat haters and say Heat in 7. But just like last year this could go either way. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Disturbed95
06-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Congrats to the spurs. My heat played like total shit the last 3 games, along with the spurs playing fucking amazingly. Hopefully they fix their horrible bench this off season.

DisposableJustice
06-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Congrats to the Spurs they played like an actual team instead of one guy trying to carry a entire team on his back

The heat can crunch numbers and get all the big name free agents to come to South Beach but if Lebron and company really want to go to the Finals and compete against the superior west teams and win it all, they only need to look at what San Antonio did to them this year and almost did to them last year: play as a team with unselfish play, everyone buys into plan to win.

But of course: THROW MONEY AT IT KEEP THROWING MONEY AT IT UNTIL IT DROWNS

AnthG
06-16-2014, 07:14 AM
The Spurs were the better team and clearly deserved to win. But posts like the above are EXACTLY why I hate talking to casual sports fans of any sport. People can say what they want about the Heat and Lebron and all of that, but the last thing Lebron is is a selfish player, and the last thing the team was was unselfish. Whenever a team loses it's always "OMG IT'S NOT WORKING THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING ELSE AND CHANGE THE PLAN AND WHAT THEY'RE DOING ISN'T WORKING!" It's all a combination of people's distaste for Lebron (which only some of it I understand, and very little of it I agree with) and everyone's super-duper short term headline reading attention spans. The Heat aren't a selfish team. Anyone who actually watches basketball and watches them play, and watched them play the last 4 years and especially the 2 previous seasons know this. They just played worse than the Spurs who were on their fucking game.

I mean come on dude. "if Lebron and company really want to go to the Finals and compete against the superior west teams and win it all", It's like you forgot that they were the champions in 2012 and 2013. I'm not a Heat fan, and have nothing against the Spurs. I'm just fucking sick of the one-sided biased view that sports fans have that prevents them from thinking and speaking objectively. It'd be understandable to hear this coming from Spurs fans, but it's not coming from only Spurs fans. It's coming from idiots who look at the result and make a snap judgment without looking at the objective big picture. All the haters and trolls are gone and silent when the Heat win, but when they lose it's all "OMG HA THEY LOST FUCK LEBRON THIS TEAM CAN'T WIN THIS ISN'T HOW YOU PUT A TEAM TOGETHER THEY'RE FAILURES", without thinking "Hey, this team went to the Finals 4 years in a row, winning two of them. They absolutely throttled the East competition which wasn't as strong as the West, and then played poorly against a very good Spurs team". And the same thing would have happened if the Heat won, just to a lesser extent. No one would be talking about how good Miami was, it'd be all "Spurs are old, their championship window is closed, they need to blow it up and rebuild."

People are fucking stupid.

EDIT: Only, like, some of that was directed at you Justice.

DisposableJustice
06-16-2014, 08:56 AM
The Spurs were the better team and clearly deserved to win. But posts like the above are EXACTLY why I hate talking to casual sports fans of any sport. People can say what they want about the Heat and Lebron and all of that, but the last thing Lebron is is a selfish player, and the last thing the team was was unselfish. Whenever a team loses it's always "OMG IT'S NOT WORKING THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING ELSE AND CHANGE THE PLAN AND WHAT THEY'RE DOING ISN'T WORKING!" It's all a combination of people's distaste for Lebron (which only some of it I understand, and very little of it I agree with) and everyone's super-duper short term headline reading attention spans. The Heat aren't a selfish team. Anyone who actually watches basketball and watches them play, and watched them play the last 4 years and especially the 2 previous seasons know this. They just played worse than the Spurs who were on their fucking game.

I mean come on dude. "if Lebron and company really want to go to the Finals and compete against the superior west teams and win it all", It's like you forgot that they were the champions in 2012 and 2013. I'm not a Heat fan, and have nothing against the Spurs. I'm just fucking sick of the one-sided biased view that sports fans have that prevents them from thinking and speaking objectively. It'd be understandable to hear this coming from Spurs fans, but it's not coming from only Spurs fans. It's coming from idiots who look at the result and make a snap judgment without looking at the objective big picture. All the haters and trolls are gone and silent when the Heat win, but when they lose it's all "OMG HA THEY LOST FUCK LEBRON THIS TEAM CAN'T WIN THIS ISN'T HOW YOU PUT A TEAM TOGETHER THEY'RE FAILURES", without thinking "Hey, this team went to the Finals 4 years in a row, winning two of them. They absolutely throttled the East competition which wasn't as strong as the West, and then played poorly against a very good Spurs team". And the same thing would have happened if the Heat won, just to a lesser extent. No one would be talking about how good Miami was, it'd be all "Spurs are old, their championship window is closed, they need to blow it up and rebuild."

People are fucking stupid.

EDIT: Only, like, some of that was directed at you Justice.

First off good points I am not a NBA fan by any means, my money comment was the reports that the Heat were going to try and court Carmelo Anthony to make it a Big 4 which is a slim chance for 4 people to take pay cuts. My thing was the report came out while the Finals were still going like they were waving the white flag already

And yes they were the champs two years in a row I will give you that. But let me ask you can the Heat go back and win the finals with the current roster? Yes of course there is going to be changes here and there but these finals weren't the Spurs vs the Heat; it was the Spurs vs LeBron James; he carried the team on his back and got little to no support from his teammates, more concerning is that Wade and Bosh really struggled and did not step up which was part of the point the Big 3 was put together. Wade is getting old and despite getting rest in the regular season he does have some good playoff games but in the Finals he just wasn't there

Can James win more titles in Miami? Yes he can but not on the team as it is right now. The heat need to go out and find players who can take a little pressure of his back so he doesn't have to feel like he has to do everything. As a very causal fan I wonder where his mind is at as he can opt out of his contract this summer and possibly explore the free agent market

AnthG
06-16-2014, 09:14 AM
I don't see the Carmelo thing happening. Maybe that's just wishful thinking but to convince not only the current "Big 3" to take paycuts but also Carmelo Anthony to take a pay cut will be a task.

As far as can this team win again with the same core? Honestly, sure. It's the same team that won two years ago. Yeah, they're all older now, but I don't know if them playing poorly was indicative of that, or just them not playing well at the wrong time. This same conversation was happening in 2011 when people were asking "What can the Heat do to beat Dallas?", and well...we saw how that turned out for Dallas, who were honestly a team that happened to click at the right time. Granted they lost a few key pieces after that 2011 team like Tyson Chandler. It's unfair to throw the Spurs into the exact same category since they have a far more consistent track record. But keep in mind this is more or less the same Spurs team that not only lost to Miami last year, but also bowed out pretty convincingly to Oklahoma City in 2012, and had a first round exit in 2011 (actually, maybe not the 2011 team, I don't think they had Danny Green or Kawhi Leonard but the core was still the same). And what happened this year when the Spurs were 2 years older and the Thunder were 2 years more experienced and had the MVP? The opposite. So who knows. I can see the Spurs or Heat winning the championship in 2015 with their current rosters just as easily as seeing them get swept in their respective conference finals by the Thunder and Pacers (Well, assuming Roy Hibbert doesn't forget how to play basketball again).

marker
06-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Congrats to the spurs. My heat played like total shit the last 3 games, along with the spurs playing fucking amazingly. Hopefully they fix their horrible bench this off season.

I agree they need to strengthen the bench and point guard mostly.

Disturbed95
06-16-2014, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=marker;576349]I agree they need to strengthen the bench and point guard mostly/QUOTE]

I think the biggest need is someone who can come off the bench and give them consistency and scoring. The spurs have Manu,mills, and splitter. The only reliable played off their bench is andersen, and hes only in for defense and rebounds