PDA

View Full Version : Veruca Salt reunite with original lineup; summer dates

PVH5150
04-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Last month we got word ’90s alt-rock vets Veruca Salt were reuniting their original lineup to release a new single for Record Store Day. It was surprising to hear that the legendarily drama-filled band was able to get together to record a new song or two, and now they’re going to be spending even more time together. The reunited VS will be going on tour soon, almost two decades since parting ways. Check out the dates below:

6/22 Portland, OR @ Mississippi Studios
6/23 Seattle, WA @ The Tractor Tavern
6/24 Vancouver, BC @ Biltmore Cabaret
6/26 San Francisco, CA @ The Independent
6/27 Los Angeles, CA @ The Roxy
7/09 Minneapolis, MN @ Varsity Theater
7/10 Milwaukee, WI @ Turner Hall Ballroom
7/11 Cincinnati, OH @ Bunbury Music Festival
7/12 Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
7/13 St. Louis, MO @ Firebird
7/21 Washington, DC @ Black Cat
7/22 Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts
7/24 Manhattan, NY @ Bowery Ballroom
7/25 Brooklyn, NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
7/26 Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall

Steev
04-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Maybe they figured they'd cash in on Seether covering them

detuned
04-15-2014, 06:28 PM
i love how anything past the half way point of a decade becomes "nearly"

kalfitegrdan
04-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Uh...who? :eyes:

MPF
04-15-2014, 10:46 PM
I forget how young some people are here.

To those who missed out on Veruca Salt. Picture a band like Hole, but not nearly as famous, but with all the 90's Grunge Angst that made the genre suck. and BOOM Veruca Salt.

*Also a character from Willy Wonka for those who REALLY don't get the name*

adamclark52
04-15-2014, 11:23 PM
What MPF said.

Picture a band no one cared to see get back together getting back together.

kalfitegrdan
04-15-2014, 11:30 PM
:lol: They're from Chicago too and I've never even heard of them.

detuned
04-16-2014, 04:11 AM
veruca salt is a million times better than hole

dcmetal108
04-16-2014, 04:35 AM
:lol: They're from Chicago too and I've never even heard of them.

This.

Though will the name I was hoping for a Willy Wonka themed band.

adamclark52
04-16-2014, 08:10 AM
veruca salt is a million times better than hole

That is true. But a million times zero is still pretty low.

I'm old enough to remember them. The girls were hot but they were really annoying.

velvetgrass
04-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Though will the name I was hoping for a Willy Wonka themed band.

Didn't Primus already do that on New Years?

Natrlhi
04-16-2014, 08:22 AM
They were pretty good. Bands like this were figuring pretty heavily in my listening queue back in those days, when I was listening to a lot of stuff besides metal. Personally, I preferred The Breeders and Belly to Veruca Salt, but they were all enjoyable. I lived in the Chicago area at the time, too, so Veruca Salt was on the air a lot - especially on Q101, which was an alternative rock station that almost made it worthwhile listening to the radio back then.

Maybe they figured they'd cash in on Seether covering them
I'm pretty sure Seether actually got their name from Veruca Salt's most popular single, but I've never read anything where the band actually confirmed that. Regardless, Seether are a hardcore Nirvana worship band, so it stands to reason that the rumor could be true given that VS was popular during roughly the same time frame as Nirvana and played similar music.

detuned
04-16-2014, 08:40 AM
while i dont really expect to sell anyone here on VS, some of my faves...

Number One Blind (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHG5P9xFyhI)
All Hail Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LimHXfavgw)
Shutterbug (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHtVvq4I_S0)
The Morning Sad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9XL54deEiY)

BTBAM310
04-16-2014, 08:45 AM
I'll definitely be going to the SF date, one of my favorite 90's bands. It's a shame they're only known for Seether, American Thighs is a great album.

moobys37
04-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Volcano Girls is a pretty fun song :eyes:

ravenheart
04-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Veruca Salt: like Avril Lavigne singing actual grunge

Natrlhi
04-16-2014, 09:49 AM

If you're trying to call Avril a bit of a poseur, then fine.

If you're trying to say that Veruca Salt is childish bullshit, then we are going to fight. :boxer:

kalfitegrdan
04-16-2014, 09:59 AM

So Alanis Morissette?

ravenheart
04-16-2014, 10:04 AM
If you're trying to call Avril a bit of a poseur, then fine.

If you're trying to say that Veruca Salt is childish bullshit, then we are going to fight. :boxer:

I'm saying VS's singer should also be singing pop songs for alt-rock radio :finger:

adamclark52
04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm saying VS's singer should also be singing pop songs for alt-rock radio :finger:

She did, didn't she? Not Louise Post but the other one. Or maybe it was Louise Post.

moobys37
04-16-2014, 10:18 AM
So Alanis Morissette?

Bwahahahaha.

I watched the Volcano Girls video like 5 times this morning thanks to this thread.

Natrlhi
04-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Nah, it was "the other one" (Nina Gordon).

Both of them share vocal duties, and both have girly voices, but then again so does Kim Deal and a whole bunch of other female grunge singers, so I'm not sure what the point is there. Grunge doesn't necessarily mean you have to have harsh, smoky, gin-soaked vocals like Courtney Love in order to be taken seriously.

Natrlhi
04-16-2014, 10:51 AM
So Alanis Morissette?
Fair enough, but Alanis is a much better musician (not to mention being way hotter :lovedup:) than Avril, just to be clear.

ravenheart
04-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Both of them share vocal duties, and both have girly voices, but then again so does Kim Deal and a whole bunch of other female grunge singers, so I'm not sure what the point is there.

The point is they sound dreadful. Both of them.

Natrlhi
04-16-2014, 01:19 PM
The point is they sound dreadful. Both of them.

Not digging the high-pitched, squeaky vocals? I get it. I guess it doesn't really bother me that much. I'd rather listen to those than Courtney Love or Donita Sparks (L7) or Kat Bjelland (Babes in Toyland).

I mean, let's remember it's grunge we're talking about here. There aren't really that many impressive vocal performances by anyone in the genre, really, save somebody like Liz Phair or Shirley Manson of Garbage (I take it you'd approve of that last one since she hails from the UK :finger:).

dcmetal108
04-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Fair enough, but Alanis is a much better musician (not to mention being way hotter :lovedup:) than Avril, just to be clear.

Ehhhhhh.

ravenheart
04-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Not digging the high-pitched, squeaky vocals? I get it. I guess it doesn't really bother me that much. I'd rather listen to those than Courtney Love or Donita Sparks (L7) or Kat Bjelland (Babes in Toyland).

Neither of those are good either.

I mean, let's remember it's grunge we're talking about here. There aren't really that many impressive vocal performances by anyone in the genre, really, save somebody like Liz Phair or Shirley Manson of Garbage (I take it you'd approve of that last one since she hails from the UK :finger:).

Garbage had maybe two good songs... which is two more than Veruca Salt at least ;)

ravenheart
04-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Ehhhhhh.

He's spot on about the songwriting. Avril is depressingly hot though.

dcmetal108
04-16-2014, 04:33 PM
He's spot on about the songwriting. Avril is depressingly hot though.

Oh agreed. Avril just makes catchy pop radio songs but is so damn hot.

Natrlhi
04-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Avril's looks have improved marginally over the last few years, but in my mind she still registers as this punk kid with green or purple hair and a snarl on her face - and not the good kind of sexy snarl, but the defiant "screw you, Dad" version.

On the other hand, Alanis started out well and has improved with age like a fine wine. Long hair, short hair, whatever - she gets better looking each passing year, which is something not a lot of women can say.

Speaking of lookers - and back on topic - I definitely wouldn't kick Nina or Louise out of bed for eating crackers.

detuned
04-17-2014, 08:23 PM
garbage is a great band

hellawaits77ny
04-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Old MFing school.

Funny how young some of the people here are, yet some of them are "experts".