PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC set to retire. Malcolm Young is "very sick".

Travis The Dragon
04-14-2014, 06:29 PM
From: https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/22652032/ac-dc-set-to-retire-reports/
AC/DC are set to announce their retirement, according to reports this morning.

Since forming in 1973, AC/DC's high voltage rock 'n' roll has flowed out into the world via consistently sold-out concert tours and global sales totaling more than 200 million albums and counting. Head by founding brothers Malcolm and Angus Young, AC/DC has become one of the highest grossing bands of all time.

Show business commentator Peter Ford told 6PR this morning that he believed “we may never hear them perform or record ever again”.

6PR are also reporting that Malcolm Young and his family have moved back to Australia "because he is very sick".

"There is some quite sad detail about it all, that I will not be reporting on, but the band/management may choose to reveal this," he wrote on Twitter this morning.

He said the "boys played together about five or six weeks ago in a private jam session ... Malcolm wasn't really at his best".

More to come ...

That's really too bad. I was really hoping for 1 final album and tour. Well, they sure had a long and very amazing career and have left one hell of a legacy behind them. "FOR A 21 GUN SALUTE!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57kN-uWzPug)

anomynous
04-14-2014, 07:04 PM
That sucks.

sfhui
04-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Been waiting a long long time for the 40th anniversary tour. Doesn't matter now. Get well Malcolm Young

Steev
04-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Terrible news, hopefully Malcolm gets well

IrritatedTrout
04-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Damn, I never got to see them.

TonyD
04-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Damn, probably for the better.

justinm4bama
04-14-2014, 11:28 PM
I hope he gets to feeling better. Terrible news.

anomynous
04-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Conflicting reports, supposedly they're heading to the studio? (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/conflicting-reports-surface-regarding-acdcs-future/)

Onioner
04-15-2014, 12:14 AM
The Malcom being sick thing has been rumored for a really long time, and kinda sorta mentioned by Brian and Cliff at a couple points.

I'd definitely love for them to try and knock out one final album if they can. I think they could do a really great super bluesy album if they wanted to. Stormy May Day was my favorite song from Black Ice and I'd love if they continued in that direction.

Also, Brian jumped onstage with Billy Joel sometime this year and he sounded awesome. Better than he has since Flick of the Switch I think.

MetalIsArt
04-15-2014, 12:24 AM
I hope this isn't true, they are one of my favorite bands and I've never seen them live.

And yeah, that slide guitar in Stormy May Day kicks ass.

ravenheart
04-15-2014, 02:00 AM
Brian said a while ago that one of the band has been very ill but was getting better and they still intended to mark their 40th anniversary with 40 shows in 40 major cities worldwide.

So if this is true, even the band didn't see it coming.

PVH5150
04-15-2014, 05:19 AM
This is depressing. Glad I got to see them twice on the last tour.

Natrlhi
04-15-2014, 06:22 AM
First concert I ever went to was AC/DC...they were touring for Who Made Who back in 1986. Outdoor amphitheater, awesome show.

Sad news, but inevitable. I hope Malcolm gets better.

ravenheart
04-15-2014, 06:23 AM
Reports are currently that it's a blood clot in the brain, so likely a stroke.

Steev
04-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Reports are currently that it's a blood clot in the brain, so likely a stroke.

Saw that, it's sounding really bad(the one report claims he can't play anymore)

MetalIsArt
04-15-2014, 07:17 AM
Get well soon.

This to one of the best rhythm guitar players in the world. :boohoo:

ravenheart
04-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Saw that, it's sounding really bad(the one report claims he can't play anymore)

There's a lot of jumping to conclusions going on in a lot of the reports, but the best written one, actually from Australia, basically says that it was a stroke, which it was thought he'd mostly recovered from, but it left a blood clot on his brain.

The band got back together this month to begin pre-production on the new album and it was at that point he discovered he couldn't play like he used to. Not completely couldn't play, but not properly.

It also says it sounds like there'll be an official press conference either today or tomorrow (it said Tuesday, but said the 16th, which is actually Wednesday, even in Australia).

It that's all true, then it may be the end of the band, but at least it sounds like he'll be able to have a normal life still.

Sanitarium78
04-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Very sad news if this is the case but it's for the best and it makes sense if they end it because Malcolm can't play like he used to anymore.

I have very good memories of AC/DC and their music. They were the first band I really got into and went out and bought (on cassette;)) all their albums back when I was about 12 or 13. If I didn't have that paper route, I don't know how I would've got those albums.

Steev
04-15-2014, 08:27 AM
In recent years a lot of musicians have recovered from strokes and been able to play again, but they were all many years younger(20 maybe even 30 years)

ravenheart
04-15-2014, 08:33 AM
And strokes have a massive range of severities and effects particular to the person.

MetalIsArt
04-15-2014, 08:54 AM
He's 61, so... :(

Steev
04-15-2014, 09:00 AM
He's 61, so... :(

and sadly his health wasn't always great, he missed some tours in the 80's

Wrecking Crew
04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Glad I got to see them back in '91, hopefully Malcolm can at least recover to the point where he can have a normal life.

MPF
04-15-2014, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty bummed about this as I've always wanted to see them live and now it won't happen.

At least Black Ice is a good album to end on.

El Gordo
04-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Such a shame. AC/DC were one of those bands that I always went "I'll see them next time". Unfortunately, it looks like there won't be a next time. All the best to Malcolm, his family and bandmates. Hopefully the guy can live a normal life.

ravenheart
04-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Just read something reportedly from "insiders" (who are presumably at this very moment personally emailing Wolverinekills) that the quitting part is bullshit. Their record label has declined to comment, apparently.

Steev
04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Just read something reportedly from "insiders" (who are presumably at this very moment personally emailing Wolverinekills) that the quitting part is bullshit. Their record label has declined to comment, apparently.

Well so far I haven't seen any official word so there is that

MetalIsArt
04-15-2014, 11:21 AM

I believe in a rock & roll dream :angel:

MetalIsArt
04-15-2014, 11:22 AM
and sadly his health wasn't always great, he missed some tours in the 80's

Due to alcoholism, I think it was only some dates on the Blow Up Your Video-tour in 1988. Stevie Young replaced him.

Breaking The Law
04-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Due to alcoholism, I think it was only some dates on the Blow Up Your Video-tour in 1988. Stevie Young replaced him.

The American leg of the tour had Stevie as the show I went to in May of 88 didn't have Malcolm. I think he missed the entire US run.

MPF
04-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Jay Weinberg has been chosen to fill in for Malcom Young on the upcoming tour.

John The Drummer
04-15-2014, 01:15 PM

YOU HEARD IT HERE, FOLKS!! #MPFMASSACRES

Such a bummer :( . Never got the chance to see them, hopefully things don't get any worse for the guy :(

MPF
04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
YOU HEARD IT HERE, FOLKS!! #MPFMASSACRES

Such a bummer :( . Never got the chance to see them, hopefully things don't get any worse for the guy :(

Patent Pending!

I feel the same way, I always wanted to see them live but was either too young at the time, or couldn't afford tickets. Unless the makes a full recovery, it's really sad to see them go.

Travis The Dragon
04-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Damn, I feel bad that I had to bring people down with this news, including myself and my dad. Malcolm is his favorite member. I really hope it's all just rumors and turns out not to be true as well. If true, I hope he makes a good recovery and can enjoy the rest of his life.

Steev
04-15-2014, 01:48 PM
The American leg of the tour had Stevie as the show I went to in May of 88 didn't have Malcolm. I think he missed the entire US run.

From Wikipedia(for what that's worth): Stevie Young is the nephew of AC/DC guitarists Angus and Malcolm Young. He is the son of their brother Alex. During the 1988 U.S. tour for AC/DC's album Blow Up Your Video, which started on May 3, 1988, Stevie filled in for Malcolm on rhythm guitar, while Malcolm left to deal with a growing alcohol dependency. Many fans were not even aware that Malcolm had been replaced, as Stevie bears a physical resemblance to him.

Breaking The Law
04-15-2014, 02:14 PM
From Wikipedia(for what that's worth): Stevie Young is the nephew of AC/DC guitarists Angus and Malcolm Young. He is the son of their brother Alex. During the 1988 U.S. tour for AC/DC's album Blow Up Your Video, which started on May 3, 1988, Stevie filled in for Malcolm on rhythm guitar, while Malcolm left to deal with a growing alcohol dependency. Many fans were not even aware that Malcolm had been replaced, as Stevie bears a physical resemblance to him.

Thanks for posting.

AnthG
04-15-2014, 02:20 PM

Can you confirm this rumor? Or just confirm that he left Against Me in 2012?

MPF
04-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Can you confirm this rumor? Or just confirm that he left Against Me in 2012?

I can confirm that I could confirm if I wanted to.....you can quote me on that.

gangrene
04-15-2014, 03:09 PM

my first thought as well; saw that tour, met stevie, and really enjoyed that show.

Steev
04-15-2014, 04:12 PM
my first thought as well; saw that tour, met stevie, and really enjoyed that show.

I only originally knew it as a footnote in Guitar World maybe 10-11 years ago.

TonyD
04-15-2014, 04:17 PM
I only originally knew it as a footnote in Guitar World maybe 10-11 years ago.

When his tour guitar went for sale on ebay? I remember that
Time flies... :eek:

PowerMaiden
04-15-2014, 05:43 PM
sad news, but AC\DC are in the category of bands I needed to see one time. I did that on sept 6 th, 1988 on the Blow Up Your Video tour. They were good and all but I didn't feel the need to see them again after that..

all the best to Malcolm though

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Steev
04-15-2014, 06:18 PM
When his tour guitar went for sale on ebay? I remember that
Time flies... :eek:

Yeah I think so(it was a Gibson that was only made in the 80's)

MetalIsArt
04-15-2014, 11:59 PM

He did.

Maideneer
04-16-2014, 07:11 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10769783/ACDC-We-are-not-retiring.html

MetalIsArt
04-16-2014, 07:25 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10769783/ACDC-We-are-not-retiring.html

Rock & roll it will survive :rocker:;)

ravenheart
04-16-2014, 07:34 AM
People keep posting that on Facebook too. Sadly it's bullshit.

Those comments from Brian are weeks old, before any of this new stuff happened. That paper is just shamelessly reprinting them and pretending they're new, just trying to get hits on their site by tapping into the thirst for an answer on all of this.

When has AC/DC ever answered media speculation by giving a couple of comments to one newspaper worldwide?

Not saying they won't debunk the rumours, but they'll do it with a proper statement, and this isn't it.

Bengals279
04-16-2014, 07:52 AM
People keep posting that on Facebook too. Sadly it's bullshit.

Those comments from Brian are weeks old, before any of this new stuff happened. That paper is just shamelessly reprinting them and pretending they're new, just trying to get hits on their site by tapping into the thirst for an answer on all of this.

When has AC/DC ever answered media speculation by giving a couple of comments to one newspaper worldwide?

Not saying they won't debunk the rumours, but they'll do it with a proper statement, and this isn't it.

Check their facebook

ravenheart
04-16-2014, 08:09 AM
This, however, is an official statement:

"After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music."

MetalIsArt
04-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Check their facebook

This. They will get together, they probably won't even hire a replacement. He'll get over it!

Travis The Dragon
04-16-2014, 02:48 PM
This, however, is an official statement:

"After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music."

Well, that's good to know they aren't retiring. That's still sad about Malcolm though. I wish him nothing but the best and that he makes a good recovery.

ravenheart
07-09-2014, 06:20 AM
According to Brian Johnson, the new album is done. Apparently Malcolm's nephew, Stevie Young, played rhythm guitars.

"We’re done. I’m very excited and we’ve got some great songs. We miss Malcolm (Young) obviously. He’s a fighter. He’s in hospital but he’s a fighter. We’ve got our fingers crossed that he’ll get strong again. Stevie, Malcolm’s nephew, was magnificent, but when you’re recording with this thing hanging over you and your work mate isn’t well, it’s difficult. But I’m sure he was rooting for us. He’s such a strong man. He’s a small guy but he’s very strong. He’s proud and he’s very private so we can’t say too much. But fingers crossed he’ll be back. I wanted to call the album Man Down. But it’s a bit negative and it was probably just straight from the heart. I like that."

TonyD
07-09-2014, 10:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7bY0v.jpg