PDA

View Full Version : Mastodon New Album: "Once More Round the Sun"

slapguitarer
04-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Mastodon has one of the most celebrated discographies in modern metal, so any news of a new album is great news. We caught up with bassist and vocalist Troy Sanders to discuss the band’s forthcoming album, Once More Round the Sun, which is slated for a release later this year on Warner Brothers Records.

“The songs all revealed themselves as what we’d hoped they’d sound like,” Sanders told us in February, immediately following the album’s tracking. “It’s big hugs all the way around. The four of us are digging it very heavily.” The album—which took the band from their hometown in Atlanta to Franklin, Tenn., for recording late last year—was just mixed by producer Nick Raskulinecz (Deftones, Rush, Alice in Chains, The Hold Steady). Now the Atlanta quartet is just waiting to solidify a release date.

“The idea was generated before we recorded the title track on the record, but the title was thought up many months ago,” Sanders said earlier this week about Once More Round the Sun. “After we finished the two-year touring cycle on our last record, The Hunter, we were kind of gearing up to go back to our rehearsal space in Atlanta. And we were starting the effort, the time, the blood, the energy, the months of driving, the recording and the long process between recording and the release day.

“In a nutshell: we’re fortunate enough to do this again, but there’s this feeling of this yearly cycle. It’s not a bad thing. We get to go tour a bunch, we get to record a bunch of songs we love. It’s embracing the positive—the wonderful side, to be able to have the same four dudes who love doing what we do so much. And like anything in the Mastodon world, it’s open to interpretation.”

Sanders said the album’s 60-or-so minutes are pure, authentic Mastodon. It launches off as a progression from The Hunter, which saw the band trimming back on song runtimes and pulling away from heavily conceptual pieces like Crack the Skye or Leviathan. “We’re all over the world as far as themes go,” Sanders said. “But there are a few sprinkles of epic goodness.” And with three vocalists—Sanders, drummer Brann Dailor and guitarist Brent Hinds—expect a pretty even split from what Sanders dubs the traditional Mastodon vocal tag-team.

“A lot of people ask us if it kicks off where The Hunter left off,” he said. “And to a large degree, I suppose yes. We recorded it and took it on the road with us, and then we headed back to our rehearsal space and started working out ideas. I’ve had a lot of time to ingest this record, and it’s solid. It’s a large slab of granite. I’m once again completely proud of these guys.”

Unlike many Mastodon albums of the past, Once More Round the Sun’s sessions left the band with some extra material. The band ended up cutting around 30 minutes of music, which Sanders hopes to see as an additional EP after the album release. “We didn’t want a 90-minute album. We like to record around the 60-minute mark. That’s what our favorite records are. We’re in love with all 15 of [the songs], so they might all see the light of day in some platform or another.”

As far as the songs themselves, Sanders has a few favorites. One includes “Diamonds in the Witch House,” which has an expected guest spot from longtime collaborator Scott Kelly of Neurosis. “I think subconsciously that we’re trying to involve him with every album enough to have a full set of songs eventually,” Sanders said, laughing. “I think his performance is great, his part still gives me chills. That’s a great sign.” Another early standout is “Ember City,” which was the first track Sanders contributed lyrically and vocally in the writing process for Once More Round the Sun.” “But I’m a big fan of every song on the record,” he added.

And with a band that’s got such powerful album covers like Leviathan, Crack the Skye or The Hunter, what can we expect there? Oakland-based artist Skinner, who specializes in “psychedelic nightmare paintings” (his words), will take the reins on Once More Round the Sun. “It’s going to be a work of art for sure. It’s going to be very eye-opening, very striking. It’s from another dimension, and a lot of our music is geared toward that idea—taking you to another planet on songs. It’s out there, and I think it’s incredible.”

Mastodon does not yet have a release date set for Once More Round the Sun, but you can catch them starting late this month on their North American tour.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/04/mastodons-troy-sanders-talks-new-album-once-more-r.html

swboyd
04-04-2014, 01:31 PM
It sounds like they're going to continue in the direction of The Hunter, which was an okay album that had no staying power with me at all personally. I'll give the album a listen when it comes out, but the bar will be set low.

powerslave_85
04-04-2014, 02:04 PM
I guess maybe this lessens the chances of them doing a 10th anniversary "play Leviathan in its entirety" tour.

Datjazzfusion
04-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Needs more Remission

mankvill
04-04-2014, 02:38 PM
The Hunter is my favorite 'Dong record (deal with it) so I'm okay with it.

detuned
04-04-2014, 02:56 PM
I guess maybe this lessens the chances of them doing a 10th anniversary "play Leviathan in its entirety" tour.

troy said handful of shows, not a tour, and were already well into the mixing of the new album when the idea was mentioned, so its release doesnt necessarily have bearing on them doing leviathan shows

I was just told that we could do a handful of shows this summer where we just play Leviathan live. I think [the record] is great and I’m certainly a fan of longevity. I don’t know many bands that have stayed with the same four guys for the last 14 years. I’m proud of that and think it’s great we are still friends and have the same focus and drive. I remember the four of us were prouder of that record than any of the previous ones. And I’m still really proud of it. It’s still classic in my opinion. But it’s more difficult to create a set list for live shows when you have more material under your belt. This will be our seventh record. That’s sixty something songs and all of us have favorites. Some of us are maybe a little tired of some of them. I don’t think any of us would be opposed to playing a Leviathan show and a handful of other songs.
http://www.stereogum.com/1666216/progress-report-mastodon/franchises/progress-report/

mastodon421
04-04-2014, 03:47 PM
It sounds like they're going to continue in the direction of The Hunter, which was an okay album that had no staying power with me at all personally. I'll give the album a listen when it comes out, but the bar will be set low.

Brann did an interview about a month ago that said if he was to compare the new record to any of their previous work it would be Blood Mountain. In all honesty, I don't expect it to sound like Blood Mountain, The Hunter or any of their other records. Part of the charm of Mastodon is that you have absolutely no fucking idea what each new album is going to sound like. All I'm hoping is that this is an improvement over The Hunter (Don't get wrong The Hunter is still great, but it's easily my least favorite albums of theirs.)

slapguitarer
04-04-2014, 03:57 PM
^what he said

IrritatedTrout
04-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I really like the title, I'm looking forward to this a lot.

MetalIsArt
04-05-2014, 03:09 AM
I might actually give them a try some day.

anomynous
04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
High Road stream? (http://d24edc7kaf4agn.cloudfront.net/1636864/mastadon-high-road.mp3?rhihttphost=media.989therock.com)

MPF
04-16-2014, 12:47 PM
ASSuming this is indeed the real deal, I like it a lot.

It's like a mix of Blood Mountain and The Hunter, yet it's own entity.

anomynous
04-16-2014, 12:56 PM
There's an interview where Bill said the songs is 6 minutes, so it might not be a complete version.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
04-16-2014, 01:07 PM
High Road stream? (http://d24edc7kaf4agn.cloudfront.net/1636864/mastadon-high-road.mp3?rhihttphost=media.989therock.com)

Very cool! How'd you find this?

moobys37
04-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Not bad but not weird enough. Mastodon's at their best when they experiment and there's not a whole lot of that going on during this track.

BRAman22
04-16-2014, 01:32 PM
It's like a mix of Blood Mountain and The Hunter, yet it's own entity.

That's a perfect description. I'll be pretty content if this ends up being what the album sounds like.

mankvill
04-16-2014, 01:39 PM

This is from my local rock station, which gives me great hope that they'll be touring here soon!

InFlamesOfBirchmen
04-16-2014, 01:55 PM
This is from my local rock station, which gives me great hope that they'll be touring here soon!

Very interesting. Looks like it may be legit, in that case!

MPF
04-16-2014, 02:01 PM
MPFMassacres has just announced that Metalsucks is showing off this song as well.

swboyd
04-16-2014, 02:36 PM
That chorus...blech. The main riff is pretty nasty though. It's about what I expected from Mastodon with this album.

the deathmetaler
04-16-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm fucking loving it. It's heavy and just overall badass. I'm stoked to hear the rest of the album.

IrritatedTrout
04-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Sounds cool, pretty straight forward so I hope they mix it up some more but it sounds nice and heavy.

slapguitarer
04-16-2014, 04:48 PM
I think Mastodon is starting to feel comfortable with the poppy sound they were developing with The Hunter. The main riff is nasty, but it's just a simplistic song. I always loved Mastodon because they were never afraid to push boundaries and experiment. That being said, it's not a bad song, and I'm still highly anticipating the new record. If there's variance, awesome. But if a lot of the stuff sounds like this, I'm not too sure I'm gonna keep up with Mastodon much longer

mastodon421
04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
This is interesting and pretty fucking dope. Who fuck does the vocals on the chorus though? It doesn't sound like Troy, Brent or Brann.

JRA
04-16-2014, 05:53 PM
It sounds like Michael Kiske, though that could be the PCP.

I like this more than anything on The Hunter

slapguitarer
04-16-2014, 06:05 PM
This is interesting and pretty fucking dope. Who fuck does the vocals on the chorus though? It doesn't sound like Troy, Brent or Brann.

I'm fairly confident it's Brann.

TonyD
04-16-2014, 08:26 PM
I love Troy's vocals, but that's about it. It's like Brann started taking Ritalin or something.

anomynous
04-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Official stream (https://soundcloud.com/mastodonrocks/mastodon-high-road/s-kgi7V)

It's a minute longer

ravenheart
04-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Liking the heaviness. Chorus is lame, but otherwise an improvement on The Hunter.

ravenheart
04-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Incidentally, semi-on-topic, I'm surprised there's not more chatter on here (perhaps not quite reaching excitement) about Killer Be Killed.

BTBAM310
04-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Not bad, but not the direction I was hoping for, sounds too much like something off of The Hunter.

TonyD
04-17-2014, 09:49 AM
How does anybody think this is better than most of the material on The Hunter?
Incidentally, semi-on-topic, I'm surprised there's not more chatter on here (perhaps not quite reaching excitement) about Killer Be Killed.

There was a thread on it, but it's probably getting glossed over because the album will get put out and swept under the rug because they're not touring.

El Gordo
04-17-2014, 10:52 AM
How does anybody think this is better than most of the material on The Hunter?

Because it is? Not their best, but upon first listen, this is an improvement over The Hunter.

slapguitarer
04-17-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm not too sure about that. Songs like Spectrelight and All The Heavy Lifting are way better than this

moobys37
04-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Yeah as a "lead single" it's a lot better than Curl of the Burl but about half of The Hunter is better than this song.

Hopefully with a new record they'll at least stop ending their set with Creature Lives.

slapguitarer
04-17-2014, 01:11 PM
A proper Mastodon set should either end with Blood and Thunder or Hearts Alive.

IrritatedTrout
04-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I liked it but wasn't blown away.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
04-17-2014, 04:52 PM
A proper Mastodon set should either end with Blood and Thunder or Hearts Alive.

I always liked March of the Fire Ants as a closer.

slapguitarer
04-17-2014, 04:58 PM
I always liked March of the Fire Ants as a closer.

That's fair too.

BloodoftheKings
04-17-2014, 05:54 PM
This new song is incredibly dull.

PVH5150
04-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Great new tune.

TonyD
04-17-2014, 08:22 PM
As a long time Mastodon fan, I liked The Hunter and didn't mind that it was simple and more commercial-ish since they had never done anything like it before, but if they're settling into this sound I'll be pretty disappointed. I won't be surprised if they did because they're about as successful and revered as a prog-metal band can get.

slapguitarer
04-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Are they really a progressive band? The only prog album they had IMO is CTS

TonyD
04-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I had half of a nice big post written about why they are and shut down my browser :hecho:

slapguitarer
04-28-2014, 09:48 PM
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10269461_10152422434607948_1931390262052847159_n.j pg

Artwork. Official release June 24th
Tracklist:

01 Tread Lightly
02 The Motherload
03 High Road
04 Once More 'Round the Sun
05 Chimes at Midnight
06 Asleep in the Deep
07 Feast Your Eyes
08 Aunt Lisa
09 Ember City
10 Halloween
11 Diamond in the Witch House

The track titles are a little disheartening, yet again.

Coma323
04-29-2014, 02:38 AM
Love Skinner's artwork, this cover is sick!

Piroxen
04-29-2014, 03:50 AM
08 Aunt Lisa
09 Ember City
10 Halloween
11 Diamond in the Witch House

Shit, these titles suck badly. How could they name a song "Halloween"? :hmm:

However, I expect a well album, musically something between Blood Mountain and Leviathan with The Hunter-ish vocals.

dcmetal108
04-29-2014, 04:20 AM
Shit, these titles suck badly. How could they name a song "Halloween"? :hmm:

However, I expect a well album, musically something between Blood Mountain and Leviathan with The Hunter-ish vocals.

Maybe it's a Misfits cover?!?!?

treghet
04-29-2014, 04:39 AM
Maybe it's a King Diamond cover?!?!?

:pumpkin:

detuned
04-29-2014, 07:11 AM
http://cdn.wmgecom.com/production/media/catalog/product/cache/292/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/a/mastodon-vinyl.jpg

gotdamn

anomynous
04-29-2014, 07:21 AM
http://store.warnermusic.com/once-more-round-the-sun-2lp-vinyl.html?eml=2014April29%2F1521880%2F6010951

It's $70. Fuck off with that shit, Warner.

detuned
04-29-2014, 07:47 AM
to be fair thats clearly a deluxe package, im sure there will be a standard version. even with the CD and lithographs and quad gatefold though, its still a tad high. maybe wouldnt be that bad if that was including shipping, and it was explicitly super limited. since there is absolutely no mention of that though, im guessing its not.

IrritatedTrout
04-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Fucking awesome album art. I really like most of the track titles too (except Aunt Lisa which is weird for me because I have an aunt Lisa).:eyes:

TonyD
04-29-2014, 04:25 PM
The track titles are a little disheartening, yet again.

Agreed, those sound a lot more like Hunter titles than Leviathan titles :lol:

mankvill
04-29-2014, 05:48 PM
>"These song titles are lame!"
>Mastodon has song titles called Ol'e Nessie, Mother Puncher, I Am Ahab, The Wolf Is Loose, Thank You For This, Slickleg, Stargasm, Octopus Has No Friends, and Bedazzled Fingernails

:hecho:

slapguitarer
04-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Nothing pre-Hunter is a bad song title.

mastodon421
04-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Nothing pre-Hunter is a bad song title.

This man speaks the truth

JRA
04-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Maybe it's a Helloween cover?!?!?

:eyes:

MPF
04-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Are people really not going to like a Mastodon song because it's title?

I'd like to think people are better than that.

mankvill
04-29-2014, 07:50 PM

remember, there were people on this forum who talked about writing off bands because their band name was taken from a previous band's song titles/album titles.

JRA
04-29-2014, 08:15 PM
I will say that an uninspired/fruity sounding title can subconsciously make it harder for that song to succeed, especially if its a plain old hard rock band.

I thought Thank You For This was a bit of a strange title, but its an absurdly heavy song.

slapguitarer
04-29-2014, 08:38 PM

Absolutely not. I said the same thing about a lot of track titles for The Hunter but I still really like that record. It's just something to point out. It doesn't mean much, but if the track titles were more akin to what their older stuff was, I'd think "maybe they're straying from the sound of The Hunter", but song titles like "Aunt Lisa" make me think "we may get something that's a follow up to The Hunter". But I'm not automatically biased now. These guys are my favorite band.

XDoomsayerX
04-29-2014, 10:17 PM
this website should just be bitchsetlists.com, for realz yo listen the music first :tp:

slapguitarer
04-29-2014, 10:27 PM
You guys can't honestly tell me that if a band like Iron Maiden or Slayer or even some more mainstream shit like Trivium or KsE adopted song titles like "Octopus Has No Frineds" or "Aunt Lisa" you wouldn't blink. Admittedly, the track list for Once More 'Round The Sun isn't as questionable as The Hunter, but it's still there.

MPF
04-29-2014, 10:37 PM
You guys can't honestly tell me that if a band like Iron Maiden or Slayer or even some more mainstream shit like Trivium or KsE adopted song titles like "Octopus Has No Frineds" or "Aunt Lisa" you wouldn't blink. Admittedly, the track list for Once More 'Round The Sun isn't as questionable as The Hunter, but it's still there.

I might have a quick laugh but that's about it. Honestly I've always been a person where lyrics, titles, names and album covers mean less than the actual music produced.

Once you get into a band and their style I can see where a change would bring attention to it, much like from Crack The Skye to The Hunter, but the thing is that those songs with the strange names are actually still good. It's not like they are writing Octopus Has No Friends Part II, II and IV here.

slapguitarer
04-29-2014, 11:11 PM
True, but with all these weird new song titles came music that I found to be of poorer quality. It's still good music, but it's not nearly as great as what they produced back when song titles weren't intentionally silly. I'm not trying to say silly song titles cause bad music, but when Mastodon adopted silly song titles, it was also a part of them adopting a sound that I didn't like nearly as much as what they produced in the past. Like I've stated, I still like The Hunter, and I'm still stoked to hear new Mastodon, but the song titles are just something small I noticed. I never intended for it to seem like a huge, legit concern.

IrritatedTrout
04-30-2014, 08:02 AM
It's understandable to be concerned with the sound of an upcoming album based on the titles if that's some of the only info you have at the moment. I don't see the big deal.

And I like most of the titles, just for the record.

Piroxen
04-30-2014, 12:15 PM
>Mastodon has song titles called Ol'e Nessie, Mother Puncher, I Am Ahab, The Wolf Is Loose, Thank You For This, Slickleg, Stargasm, Octopus Has No Friends, and Bedazzled Fingernails

Dude, what's wrong with all these titles? I don't mean Octopus Has No Friends, because it's an obvious one, but The Hunter is an uninspired album and I haven't really included it.

What do you have against Ahab? Go and read Moby Dick man.

TonyD
04-30-2014, 01:00 PM

>Ol'e Nessie
cool
>Mother Puncher
I thought it was weird until I heard the explanation, which was basically "this song makes me want to punch somebodies mother"
>I Am Ahab
???
>The Wolf is Loose
How is that not an awesome title?

I don't know what to say about the others besides the ones from The Hunter are the weird ones. And if I remember right you were the guy that thought it's their best album.

John The Drummer
04-30-2014, 01:10 PM
"Cut Yule Logs and Worship Santa"
I don't see titles as awesome as that one, thank you very much :D

anomynous
05-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Here's a live video of the other new song:

http://youtu.be/xwP8pSQ0BSU

mastodon421
05-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Chimes at Midnight sounds fucking DOPE.

detuned
06-16-2014, 02:57 PM
http://itunes.com/mastodon

MPF
06-16-2014, 03:06 PM
I've only gotten to hear it twice so far, once as background music, and the other time when I was able to fully divulge in. from what I can tell so far, it sounds like a good mix of all 5 albums, yet has it's own sound.

Once I get to really sit down with it, I know I will love it to death.

imanidiot777
06-18-2014, 07:02 AM
New album is streaming now. Mastodon posted a link on Facebook. Motherload is the sickest song!!!

Cross Face Chicken Wing
06-19-2014, 10:29 AM
I've listened through the entire record five times now. It's solid. Nothing earth-shattering, but it's another solid release from these guys.