PDA

View Full Version : Review Of Un-named (Pale Communion), Un-Released Opeth Album

El Gordo
03-29-2014, 11:18 AM
I hate Opeth, but I thought many who frequent these parts would get a boner over this, so: http://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/first-impressions-of-the-new-untitled-opeth-album-a-track-by-track-review

mankvill
03-29-2014, 11:39 AM
*points to user title*

AnataFan4Life
03-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Looking forward to hearing this. Despite the lack of growls, they're making it sound like this might be a lot darker and more of a metallic record than Heritage was.

AnthG
03-29-2014, 11:45 AM
I'll believe it when I hear it. I'd love a non-wannabe-70sprog-Opeth album. The write up seems convincing enough thought that we'll get an actual, you know, Opeth album.

El Gordo
03-29-2014, 11:48 AM
*points to user title*

So, you saw what I did there?

Maideneer
04-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Pale Communion - June 17

1) Eternal Rains Will Come
2) Cusp Of Eternity
3) Moon Above, Sun Below
4) Elysian Woes
5) Goblin
6) River
7) Voice Of Treason
8) Faith In Others

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-02-2014, 10:41 AM
http://vimeo.com/m/97095402

Maideneer
08-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Just received my copy from Amazon. Haven't played it yet, first thoughts on booklet: absolutely unreadable lyrics and credits due to a font type and size that's only one step up from WingDings. Nice cover and back cover, but no band photo inside.

As a bonus, my ticket for the Chicago show came in a separate envelope...so today is a good day (despite work).

Maideneer
08-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Ok, I've listened 3 times now, here's my review of sorts.

This is the first Opeth album I feel pretty disconnected from, there's nothing to hook me into it. If Mikael wants to join Wishbone Ash he should just ask them, so while 70's prog is very nice and cute, this is and isn't Opeth all at the same time. A lot of this music should be the side dish or condiment to the heavy duty main course but it's really the other way around. I understand the whole "hey this is where my head is at right now" thing from artists, but this is taking everything a bit too far now. It's a little too 'artiste' and disjointed to make this thing feel like a complete album, something is definitely missing.

People vote with their wallet, so if this trend continues and Mikael feels like going all Dream Theater on us, he's going to see less and less people at shows while all the original fans will simply stay home knocking back a six-pack reflecting on what once was and what could have been. I don't even think that would bother him...maybe he can hit the coffee-house circuit in a few years wearing a French beret sipping his espresso as he engages in a Storytellers gig of sorts.

I like to think that all bands at some point return to their roots in some form, and that we've all been spoiled with the music we've wanted for a decade and now comes the suffering portion of fan-hood. Eventually, the hope is to head back to what made them known, liked and followed. I've seen it with countless bands in different genres and even lots of traditional metal bands. The problem is that we don't have too much history to look at in the extreme vocals category of metal. Does he really want to growl at 50, 55? It's a bit of uncharted territory for all of us waiting for that grand, triumphant return.

It's funny, bands market and point to their heavy records as "an escape from the real world for an hour that the everyman can relate to" or something similar. Magically, when soft(er) records like this are released, all that goes out the window and the standard "it's a deep record you might have to listen to 10 times to appreciate" gets thrown in our face, as if we're at the Louvre looking at a Matisse trying desperately to understand it's meaning and it's place in the world. That's too frou frou for me I'm afraid, so while musically this is a very nice record and competently put together...I'm a bit confused by it. And I don't get confused by Opeth, I "got it" from day one and bought in heavily. Hell I used to work for their record label and got to experience things with them that would make you cream your jeans.

I'll still go see them live because my love for them will never go away, how can it? I also have this eerie feeling that I can use this exact same review for the new In Flames record. So maybe it's fitting they are touring together.