PDA

View Full Version : New Judas Priest album finished

Sanitarium78
03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
There's no release date yet but Halford says it's done:rocker:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rob-halford-new-judas-priest-album-is-absolutely-finished/

Nater
03-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Good!

MetalIsArt
03-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Good!

This.

Onioner
03-19-2014, 10:46 AM
I have pretty high hopes for this. If there's a band that knows how to correct its mistakes, it's Priest. Think about it. Hell Bent to British Steel, Point of Entry to Screaming, Ram it Down to Painkiller. When Priest know what NOT to do, they go and murder everyone. Since Nostradamus was really overindulgent and such, I'd imagine we're gonna get a shorter and snappy British Steel-style album.

IrritatedTrout
03-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Hopefully it's better than the last one.

John The Drummer
03-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Hopefully it's better than the last one.
I went to a Judas Priest tribute band show and yelled "PLAY NOSTRADAMOUS!!!" Lulz followed.

christopher
03-19-2014, 12:29 PM
I went to a Judas Priest tribute band show and yelled "PLAY NOSTRADAMOUS!!!" Lulz followed.

I'm going to do that if I ever find myself at a Judas Priest tribute show. They happen a lot near me too. :lol:

ravenheart
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
I have pretty high hopes for this. If there's a band that knows how to correct its mistakes, it's Priest. Think about it. Hell Bent to British Steel, Point of Entry to Screaming, Ram it Down to Painkiller. When Priest know what NOT to do, they go and murder everyone. Since Nostradamus was really overindulgent and such, I'd imagine we're gonna get a shorter and snappy British Steel-style album.

Erm... you're suggesting that Ram It Down and Hell Bent For Leather were mistakes?

Wrecking Crew
03-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Erm... you're suggesting that Ram It Down and Hell Bent For Leather were mistakes?

I would. Hell Bent For Leather was a huge drop in quality from Stained Class and started the band on their leather and biker image that admittedly made them famous. I grew up in the '80s with the albums that made them household names like Screaming and Defenders and didn't realize until much later that the '80s stuff was sellout and the '70s albums like Sad Wings, Sin After Sin and Stained Class were the band's best.

Yes, I am aware this is probably a minority opinion. And as for Ram It Down, I like a couple of songs on it but I remember on the Painkiller tour they didn't play anything from Ram It Down or Turbo, which was surprising at the time since they were the next most recent albums. I interpreted that as an apology for those two albums :D The 1990 Painkiller tour with Megadeth and Testament opening was even more awesome than you might think BTW.

MPF
03-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Nostradamus is the only bad Priest album.

And like Spider Man says on Family Guy, Everybody gets one!

I am looking forward to new Priest, and if it sucks, maybe Halford can rethink his solo albums and make them not sound like Made Of Metal.

ravenheart
03-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Hell Bent and Ram It Down are great albums with the misfortune of being followed by fantastic albums, that's all. There's nothing wrong with either of them.

PVH5150
03-19-2014, 01:55 PM

Nostradamus > Demolition & Turbo

That being said, the worst Priest output is still enjoyable to me.

ravenheart
03-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Nostradamus > Demolition

No.

BloodoftheKings
03-19-2014, 02:18 PM

>Turbo

Onioner
03-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Hell Bent and Ram It Down are great albums with the misfortune of being followed by fantastic albums, that's all. There's nothing wrong with either of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love both Hell Bent and Ram it Down and I think they're both well appreciated in retrospect by a lot of fans. That being said, I do consider both of those albums misfires in the sense that they didn't fully accomplish the greater goals that Priest had for them at the time. With Hell Bent they wanted to make their sound more concise and catchier- they were effectively trying to create British Steel, but didn't quite hit the mark. The same analogy could be applied to Ram it Down. At the time Priest were advertising it as their heaviest offering yet, but there was a backlash because it still had a lot of the cheesiness of Turbo. Painkiller effectively rectified that.

My point is that for the most part, (from Stained Class onwards) Priest really made their albums based on what they thought their fans (or prospective fans) would like. The Ripper albums and Nostradamus being the obvious exceptions of course. I do think that this album will follow the pattern of correcting for what they perceive to be a mistake. Not to mention, some of the best Priest albums are ones where they have new blood in the band. Painkiller with Scott Travis, Stained Class with Les Binks, British Steel with Dave Holland... I think Richie Faulkner has a lot of potential to light a fire under Glenn and Rob's ass when it comes to writing energetic material.

Travis The Dragon
03-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I absolutely love Nostradamus, but I wouldn't want another album like it. It's great as a 1 time thing for JP. I'm willing to bet they've made more of a "classic" sounding album this time around which is what I really want to hear.

Sanitarium78
03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
I like Angel Of Retribution a lot. If they came out with another album like that I would be OK with it. I'm still holding out hope that they do something along the same lines as Painkiller again.

marker
03-20-2014, 01:32 AM
Nothing wrong with Hell Bent For Leather, not one of their best but still a great album. Ram It Down had some good songs, but some ridiculous ones as well. Never been a big fan of that one. Not sure which album is their worst, but Point Of Entry is one of them.

As far as the new album I don't have high expectations.

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 03:26 AM
I like Angel Of Retribution a lot. If they came out with another album like that I would be OK with it. I'm still holding out hope that they do something along the same lines as Painkiller again.

Wheels Of Fire :fist:

JRA
03-20-2014, 03:44 AM
People think Hell Bent For Leather is a bad album? People are stupid. Priest's first bad album was Point of Entry. Ram It Down is also good. Was it as good as Painkiller? No. But it was an improvement after Turbo.

Angel of Retribution would have been great if all those stupid references to past song-titles weren't there.

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 06:19 AM
People think Hell Bent For Leather is a bad album? People are stupid. Priest's first bad album was Point of Entry. Ram It Down is also good. Was it as good as Painkiller? No. But it was an improvement after Turbo.

Angel of Retribution would have been great if all those stupid references to past song-titles weren't there.

For that reason you don't like AOR? :tp:

Hell Bent is a great album, Ram has certainly it's moments.

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 06:37 AM
For that reason you don't like AOR? :tp:

AOR sucks, everyone knows that.

Oh, Angel of Retribution, gotcha. That's awesome. ;)

JRA
03-20-2014, 07:10 AM
I wasn't saying Angel was a bad album because of that. Musically it is great, if a bit uneven. I would have liked it a lot more as a total package if it didn't have that issue with the lyrics. Or at the very least they could have thrown all the titles in to one song like Victory or Blood of the Kings.

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 07:49 AM
AOR still sucks though ;)

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 08:14 AM

We can mostly agree :D

Musically it's not even that bad. But the vocals...

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 08:21 AM
We can mostly agree :D

Musically it's not even that bad. But the vocals...

I don't know, the general sound of AOR riffs is pretty fucking horrible...

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 08:30 AM
I don't know, the general sound of AOR riffs is pretty fucking horrible...

Mostly yes, but as always, there are exceptions.

It's like with Grindcore :D

MPF
03-20-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. AOR is one of their best albums.

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Mostly yes, but as always, there are exceptions.

It's like with Grindcore :D

Oh aye, there are always exceptions. Usually though the most un-AOR possible.

JRA
03-20-2014, 09:48 AM

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/118055/2680765-nicolas_cage_you_dont_say.jpg

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 09:50 AM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/118055/2680765-nicolas_cage_you_dont_say.jpg

http://media.giphy.com/media/t5cTE9ZfHth4s/giphy.gif

TonyD
03-20-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. AOR is one of their best albums.

Not sure if serious

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 11:37 AM
http://media.giphy.com/media/t5cTE9ZfHth4s/giphy.gif

http://i.imgur.com/WMsz6KH.gif

Sanitarium78
03-21-2014, 06:16 AM
I'm not sure if I would call Angel Of Retribution one of their best albums but it does have a lot of good stuff on it. The first six tracks and Hellrider are all very good songs.

SomewhereInTime72
03-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Good news. :cool:

Steev
04-26-2014, 06:16 AM
Announcement coming Monday about the new album