PDA

View Full Version : Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere

Coma323
03-18-2014, 11:52 AM
"The Serpent & The Sphere" out May 13th via Profound Lore and May 19th in Europe via Eisenwald.

New song "Celestial Effigy" now streaming here... (https://soundcloud.com/profoundlorerecords/agalloch-celestial-effigy)

MPF
03-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Heard it earlier today and I love it. It's got the older Post, Folk Rock feel of the first couple albums, but still has the newer Black Metal feel in sections just like the newer releases. I can't wait to get this!

IrritatedTrout
03-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Sounds pretty good. I like that it sounds like the earlier albums.

hb420
05-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Profound Lore has put the album for sale for NA customers here. (http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/products-page/plr-items/agalloch-the-serpent-the-sphere/)

Invisible Oranges streamed Dark Matter Gods on their internet radio show here. (http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/04/io-on-evr-playlist-and-archived-stream-from-4292014/)

The band themselves are handling vinyl duties and should have the double LP out by the time they start their summer tour.

hb420
05-04-2014, 07:13 PM
STREAMING AT NPR (http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308273140/first-listen-agalloch-the-serpent-the-sphere)

illuminatus917
05-05-2014, 04:32 AM
I think one reviewer said it best when he said it sounded like a film shot out of sequence.

Onioner
05-05-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm digging it a good deal. A lot more focused, rocking and less pointlessly meandering than Marrow, which I maintain was overrated as fuck when it came out. This album is like if Agalloch's strengths were all condensed into a handful of really really good songs instead of one or two standouts piled in with a bunch of meh like Marrow was.

IrritatedTrout
05-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Cool, just ordered it. Don't really wanna listen to it until I have it in my hands.

SignoftheHammer
05-06-2014, 07:57 AM
My copy from Profound Lore shipped yesterday, crossing my fingers I get it on release day. Knowing US/Canada customs, probably not:flame:

SignoftheHammer
05-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Wow, my copy arrived today! The address said that Profound Lore has a Canadian location to ship within the country, so that's good to know. Will listen tonight after work:party:

Piroxen
05-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Very good release, "serpents" intermissions are great.

Onioner
05-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Gave this a couple more dedicated listens on my drive from LA to the bay last night. This album is killer. Aesop actually gets to flex his muscle, the fat is trimmed and the record as a whole is an engaging listen. Dark Matter Gods might be my new favorite Agalloch song methinks.

So much better than Marrow. So, so much better.

Piroxen
05-17-2014, 01:55 AM
Sputnikmusic bitching about The Serpent & the Sphere, rating it 2/5.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/62251/Agalloch-The-Serpent-and-the-Sphere/

SignoftheHammer
05-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Sputnikmusic bitching about The Serpent & the Sphere, rating it 2/5.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/62251/Agalloch-The-Serpent-and-the-Sphere/

I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews all over the place, and I really don't get it. This album may not be as good as The Mantle, but dammit it's still excellent. What exactly were people expecting?:confused:

John The Drummer
05-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Finally got a chance to listen to it and I think it's fucking great! Especially compared to "Marrow...". I can't wait to give it another spin!

infinitydeth
05-17-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews all over the place, and I really don't get it. This album may not be as good as The Mantle, but dammit it's still excellent. What exactly were people expecting?:confused:

I'm also confused with the bad reviews.
I remembered that people weren't digging the single.
That just lead to a bandwagon effect of bad reviews.
People are stupid.

IrritatedTrout
05-17-2014, 09:43 AM
I haven't given it a really dedicated listen yet but so far it seems better than Marrow to me.

Onioner
05-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Marrow was a poop. A smelly poop. Agalloch could have released anything at that time and it would have been acclaimed, 2010 was just their time to break through.

The Tenant by Ludicra deserved every fucking ounce of success, both critically and commercially, that Marrow received back in 2010. So, so, so sad. That will probably go down as one of the great tragedies of modern underground metal in the years to come I think.

slapguitarer
05-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Marrow wasn't that bad dude.

John The Drummer
05-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Marrow was a poop. A smelly poop. Agalloch could have released anything at that time and it would have been acclaimed, 2010 was just their time to break through.

The Tenant by Ludicra deserved every fucking ounce of success, both critically and commercially, that Marrow received back in 2010. So, so, so sad. That will probably go down as one of the great tragedies of modern underground metal in the years to come I think.

The thing that bugged me the most about Marrow was the production on it. Here is Agalloch, a band that has released 3 REALLY GOOD sounding full lengths, then they come out with something that sounds like it was recorded in a cement basement, live, with one microphone in the middle of the room.

Onioner
05-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Marrow wasn't that bad dude.

Meh. I remember buying it some months after it came out and like having to try so hard to find something to dig about it. I still enjoy The Watcher's Monolith, but every other song on there just kind of goes nowhere and is strangled by its own hipstery pretentiousness.

The thing that bugged me the most about Marrow was the production on it. Here is Agalloch, a band that has released 3 REALLY GOOD sounding full lengths, then they come out with something that sounds like it was recorded in a cement basement, live, with one microphone in the middle of the room.

In their defense, they really did their best to rectify the situation. You of all people on here should now how expensive recording albums is. Marrow got really fucked up from the bottom up pretty early on, so they had to deal with what they had as opposed to re-recording the entire thing which would have been crazy expensive. It could have sounded much worse. Much much worse.

John The Drummer
05-17-2014, 01:52 PM
In their defense, they really did their best to rectify the situation. You of all people on here should now how expensive recording albums is. Marrow got really fucked up from the bottom up pretty early on, so they had to deal with what they had as opposed to re-recording the entire thing which would have been crazy expensive. It could have sounded much worse. Much much worse.

Well I was unaware of that situation, so that definitely gives me more respect over how they worked with the situation. Every time I listen to that album I think "If only this was better then it would be an AMAZING record."

Onioner
05-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Well I was unaware of that situation, so that definitely gives me more respect over how they worked with the situation. Every time I listen to that album I think "If only this was better then it would be an AMAZING record."

Yeah, the production of Marrow would make for a really interesting article if all of the necessary parties would be willing to get involved. There are a couple people that could get potentially thrown under the bus if they didn't get a chance to tell their end of it, even though no one in particular was at fault per se.

As for Serpent & the Sphere, the Anderson/Weis team crushed it once again. Billy got damn close to a perfect drum mix (kick's a little too clicky for my taste), the bass has a solid amount of definition and the guitars sound great as well.

adamclark52
05-17-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm probably the only person who will ever say this but I think Agalloch has gotten progressively BETTER with each release. I didn't care for Pale Folklore, I don't see the big deal with the Mantle, I think they got WAY BETTER with Ashes Against the Grain and I though Marrow of the Spirit was awesome. I don't over-analyze the production or anything, I go off of moments. Here's mine.

It hit me one night at work, when I was by myself sitting in a desk that wasn't mine. I was in the middle of one of my hourly forty-five minute breaks and when those first notes of Black Lake Nidstang rang out it hit me; I was a god that night. I sat in whoever's desk it was eating some candy I found at some other desk and got lost. I've come down since then but that moment was awesome.

So that said; I haven't listened to the stream of the new album because I plan on buying it the second it's released. And I'm looking forward to it very, very much.

hb420
05-17-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm probably the only person who will ever say this but I think Agalloch has gotten progressively BETTER with each release.

I would say the same for the first four releases, even though I love them all. Marrow will always be my favorite I loved the gritty raw production and more aggressive sound the songs featured. I will agree with Onioner though that The Tenant wipes the floor with it.