PDA

View Full Version : JohnTheDrummer's Top 30 (In No Order) Vidja Gamez!

John The Drummer
03-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Figured I'd hop on the bandwagon :)

Up until a few years ago I ALWAYS played video games. They were my life, besides music. Growing up, though, my family never had much money (compared to my friends) so I never got to play too many of the big hot titles, and mainly played the $10 Bargain Bin games, the Greatest Hits titles, and hand me downs.

That being said, some of these titles may not be what many would consider a classic or memorable game, but these are the ones I grew up playing a lot and enjoying!

This was originally just going to be a top 15, but the list kept growing and growing to 30... and I had to cut it off :lol:

John The Drummer
03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
1. Rock N' Roll Racing

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Rock_N%27_Roll_Racing_Cover.jpg

Before Twisted Metal, before Grand Theft Auto, before Burnout, there was Rock N Roll Racing on the SNES. This game was THEE racing game of my childhood, and it was full of destruction and carnage. Awesome levels, awesome characters, addicting gameplay, fun upgrade system, AMAZING SOUDTRACK! In what other game can you blow up an alien driving a tank while listening to "Paranoid" or "Highway Star"? This game is soooo underrated when it comes to discussions about racing games, and I would recommend anyone who still owns an SNES to pick this up and rock it (pun intended).

John The Drummer
03-17-2014, 04:15 PM
2. Theme Park Roller Coaster

http://cdn.wikimg.net/strategywiki/images/0/02/Themeparkrollercoaster_coverart.jpg

Probably one of the more obscure games on this list, Theme Park Roller Coaster for the PS2. This game was basically a watered down console version of Roller Coaster Tycoon, but still addicting as hell. You move from Theme Park to Theme Park trying to earn money and make the best park that you can. Its quite simple, but so fun and addicting at the same time, and still has a little bit of a challenge to it when trying to nail some of the goals.

adamclark52
03-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Gaaaaaah, derez anuder vidya gayme tread.

Keep 'em coming!

Dextrimental
03-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Two awesome choices so far! Rock n Roll racing is making it's way around on PC these days I think!

El Gordo
03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
I'd be hard-pressed to keep Rock n' Roll Racing off my own list. I spent a lot of time with my buddies smoking weed and playing that game back in the 90's... the awesome soundtrack certainly helped, but it was also a really solid, extremely fun racing game.

John The Drummer
03-17-2014, 05:50 PM
3. Frequency

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Frequency_Coverart.png

Before Harmonix took over the world with their Rock Band franchise, they had a little game out on the PS2 known as Frequency. This was, and still is, one of my most favorite music games out there. It was so open with customization (being able to remix all of the songs and make them your own), the difficulty was perfect (until the final stages, ugh, so hard!), and the song list was so amazing. This game had everything from Metal by Fear Factory to Powerman 5000 to more electronic music like The Crystal Method and Orbital, even No Doubt made an appearance, along with many other DJ's, artists, and bands! I believe this was the game that got Freezepop out into the world :rocker:.

I know many people think Amplitude (the sequel) was better, but the hours and late nights I spent on this game were so fun! Really wish there was a way to share your remixes!

adamclark52
03-17-2014, 06:24 PM
3. Frequency

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Frequency_Coverart.png

Before Harmonix took over the world with their Rock Band franchise, they had a little game out on the PS2 known as Frequency. This was, and still is, one of my most favorite music games out there. It was so open with customization (being able to remix all of the songs and make them your own), the difficulty was perfect (until the final stages, ugh, so hard!), and the song list was so amazing. This game had everything from Metal by Fear Factory to Powerman 5000 to more electronic music like The Crystal Method and Orbital, even No Doubt made an appearance, along with many other DJ's, artists, and bands! I believe this was the game that got Freezepop out into the world :rocker:.

I know many people think Amplitude (the sequel) was better, but the hours and late nights I spent on this game were so fun! Really wish there was a way to share your remixes!

Freezepop, are they the band that did Brainscan on Rockband 2?

adamclark52
03-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Freezepop, are they the band that did Brainscan on Rockband 2?

Ah, it was Brainpower and it was in the first Rockband. Regardless that song was so cool.

MPF
03-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Damn it Johnny, I told you to turn off those gawd dang Vidja games.!

But in all seriousness, i am looking forward to this thread. It's off to a great start.

kalfitegrdan
03-17-2014, 11:07 PM
:lol: Feezepop. I remember them from their song in Guitar Hero II. What a weird band for the creators of all these series to promote.

dcmetal108
03-18-2014, 08:14 AM
:lol: Feezepop. I remember them from their song in Guitar Hero II. What a weird band for the creators of all these series to promote.

If I remember right the band consisted of some people that worked on the games.

John The Drummer
03-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Freezepop was one of thsoe bands that was so bad that they were good :lol:
I'll continue this list later on if I can. Made some changes to my list.... really shoulda just made it a 35 game list, but I'll throw some honorable mentions at the end :)

John The Drummer
03-18-2014, 04:09 PM
4. Twisted Metal 2

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Twisted_Metal_2.jpg

Oh what happened to this series? It sure has had its ups and downs (Twisted Metal 4, anyone? It wasn't bad... just.... so odd) but the second release of the series definitely brought out the best! Twisted Metal Black was a great return to form, and just missed being the game representing the series on my list, but nothing can beat TM2! The graphics sucked, the controls were a bit whacky, and the sound was soooooo distorted at times, but this game just had "it". Interesting characters? Check. Great storyline? More or less, check. The adrenaline rush you get when you are about to sink and die in the ice level? HUGE CHECK. I can't say I ever played this game without God Mode turned on (Hold all the top buttons, up, down, left, right, right, left, down, up) but that did not affect the experience at all. Fun from beginning to end! ..... and Calypso is an asshole!

John The Drummer
03-18-2014, 04:14 PM
5. Star Wars Episode 1: Racer

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ug4meDYuL._SX300_.jpg

I had an N64, but a very limited amount of games for it (those things were EXPENSIVE from what I remember), and this game was one that I spent a good amount of my childhood playing. So fast, so frustrating, yet sooooooo fun! Let me race as Neva Kee and I promise I will kick anyone's ass! Not much can be said about this game, other than "It took the best part from Episode 1.... and made it that much better."

... I also really loved buying parts in Watto's shop.... don't know why, but it was fun :)

MPF
03-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Twisted Metal 2 is just an amazing game from start to finish, they really need to bring Twisted Metal back and better than ever.

John The Drummer
03-18-2014, 04:20 PM
6. Peggle

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/peggle-xbox-live-lg-61449959.jpg

Already mentioned in another "Top Games" list on here, Peggle brings charm, fun, relaxation, as well as some tough thinking. It's just a simple "puzzle" game where you shoot balls and try to clear the screen of red pegs. It's very simple, but some times requires some strategy, especially in later levels. I am not much of a gamer anymore, but if I am looking for a way to kill any time, I will turn on the old 360, go to "My Games" and play some Peggle. I really want to download the DLC for it, as well as the sequel.

Definitely a game for people who just want to kick back, drink some tea (or beer) and play something simple and fun!

John The Drummer
03-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Twisted Metal 2 is just an amazing game from start to finish, they really need to bring Twisted Metal back and better than ever.

Hell yeah! Such an amazing and forgotten series. I was stoked when they announced that new one that came out a while back on PS3... but the videos just did not do much for me, was expecting much more.

MPF
03-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Hell yeah! Such an amazing and forgotten series. I was stoked when they announced that new one that came out a while back on PS3... but the videos just did not do much for me, was expecting much more.

Twisted Metal 1-3 is unfuckably amazing, 4 was....4 and Black was awesome, back to their roots game. I didn't get a chance to play the one for PS3 since I don't own one, but my girlfriend does and when we move in together I will do my damnedest to find it at Gamestop or something.

John The Drummer
03-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Twisted Metal 1-3 is unfuckably amazing, 4 was....4 and Black was awesome, back to their roots game. I didn't get a chance to play the one for PS3 since I don't own one, but my girlfriend does and when we move in together I will do my damnedest to find it at Gamestop or something.

I REALLY loved the soundtrack to 3. So fucking awesome. I remember on some PS1 games you could put them in your stereo and listen to the soundtrack. I did that SOOOO much with this disc :rocker:

adamclark52
03-18-2014, 06:46 PM
5. Star Wars Episode 1: Racer

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ug4meDYuL._SX300_.jpg

I had an N64, but a very limited amount of games for it (those things were EXPENSIVE from what I remember), and this game was one that I spent a good amount of my childhood playing. So fast, so frustrating, yet sooooooo fun! Let me race as Neva Kee and I promise I will kick anyone's ass! Not much can be said about this game, other than "It took the best part from Episode 1.... and made it that much better."

... I also really loved buying parts in Watto's shop.... don't know why, but it was fun :)

Racer was far and away the best game to come out if the Phantom Menace era. I had Racer Revenge for PS2 and I think it was basically the same game.

N64 still holds the record for the most expensive game I ever saw. It was called "War Gods" or something like that and it was priced at a one hundred and twenty dollars, plus fifteen percent sales taxes. This was in 1998 and PlayStation was releasing games for half of that. No wonder N64 didn't catch on.

PVH5150
03-18-2014, 07:16 PM
N64 still holds the record for the most expensive game I ever saw. It was called "War Gods" or something like that and it was priced at a one hundred and twenty dollars, plus fifteen percent sales taxes. This was in 1998 and PlayStation was releasing games for half of that. No wonder N64 didn't catch on.

Either it's a Canadian thing or you saw this in a store ran by a thief.

I got my first N64 in 1998 along with 3 games (Goldeneye, Super Mario 64 & Mario Kart 64). The system was $199.99 and the games were $49.99 each, all brand new.

As far as I recall, no N64 game ever retailed for over $49.99 here. The one exception being Hey You, Pikachu.

Didn't catch on? It was manufactured from 1996 to 2003 and sold over 30 million units. The Virtual Boy would be an example of "not catching on".

adamclark52
03-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Either it's a Canadian thing or you saw this in a store ran by a thief.

I got my first N64 in 1998 along with 3 games (Goldeneye, Super Mario 64 & Mario Kart 64). The system was $199.99 and the games were $49.99 each, all brand new.

As far as I recall, no N64 game ever retailed for over $49.99 here. The one exception being Hey You, Pikachu.

Didn't catch on? It was manufactured from 1996 to 2003 and sold over 30 million units. The Virtual Boy would be an example of "not catching on".

Virtual Boy was an example of falling flat on your face right out of the starting gate.

It was probably a generation thing, I grew out of Nintendo and into PlayStation around the time if N64. And I followed Final Fantasy wherever it went.

MPF
03-18-2014, 07:58 PM
I remember N64 games going up to 80 bucks by the end of it's run. I actually bought a game at that price because I didn't know any better.

kalfitegrdan
03-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Racer was far and away the best game to come out if the Phantom Menace era. I had Racer Revenge for PS2 and I think it was basically the same game.

I never played the racer one since I didn't have an N64, but I recall the Gungan level in the Phantom Menace PlayStation game to be pretty hilariously fun. You could take the Gungan's stupid shock ball weapon things and use them against them. Watching the Gungans seize out on the floor was hilarious. Plus, if you did it enough, they'd turn against you and you could mow 'em down left and right.

tl;dr I get too much pleasure out of harming Gungans. :eyes:

adamclark52
03-18-2014, 11:45 PM
I never played the racer one since I didn't have an N64, but I recall the Gungan level in the Phantom Menace PlayStation game to be pretty hilariously fun. You could take the Gungan's stupid shock ball weapon things and use them against them. Watching the Gungans seize out on the floor was hilarious. Plus, if you did it enough, they'd turn against you and you could mow 'em down left and right.

Parts of that game were great but parts of it were so damn bad.

And there's nothing wrong with getting pleasure out of harming Gungans. They deserve it. I can't remember if it was your video game thread where I went off on a tangent on how great the first level in Battlefront was. No video game experience has come close to the satisfaction of being the CIS army slaughtering the Gungan army.

"Me'sa gonna die!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dImJl1zoXGk)

kalfitegrdan
03-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Parts of that game were great but parts of it were so damn bad.

And there's nothing wrong with getting pleasure out of harming Gungans. They deserve it. I can't remember if it was your video game thread where I went off on a tangent on how great the first level in Battlefront was. No video game experience has come close to the satisfaction of being the CIS army slaughtering the Gungan army.

"Me'sa gonna die!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dImJl1zoXGk)

:lol: It was probably my thread because I addressed that level too.

John The Drummer
03-19-2014, 12:11 PM

I remember N64 games going up to 80 bucks by the end of it's run. I actually bought a game at that price because I didn't know any better.

I remember the Toys R Us by my house ALLLLWAYS had overpriced N64 games, which is why I didn't have a huge collection of them. Shit, I remember buying Golden Eye 007 in 2006-2007ish for $45!

I think I remember that level! That game was so fun, but so bleh at the same time. One of those "I really like this game, but I'll just stick to renting it for the weekend" kind of games :D

John The Drummer
03-19-2014, 04:11 PM
7. Driver 2

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KHFD9PV9L.jpg

Before Grand Theft Auto took over the world, we had a great series called Driver! I remember getting a demo disc of the first Driver in the mail and totally falling in love with it. Sure you couldn't get out of your car, but it was fun to run from the cops and break the law. In the year 2000 a sequel to Driver came out, and it was leaps and bounds ahead of the original with the ability to get out of your car and high-jack others cars! The graphics weren't that great, but the story line was just amazing, plus, this was pre-GTA so the ability to high jack cars on the road was amazing!

John The Drummer
03-19-2014, 04:14 PM
8. Tetris

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/96/21/2eb0225b9da090451d9f3110.L.jpg

A very simple game, yet so addicting and fun. I still own a copy of it for the original Gameboy! I'm sure almost everyone has played this game, so you all know exactly why this game is so great. It has hours upon hours of playing, and not one playing session is the same!

The Tetris that came out on the DS was amazing as well, wish I still had my DS so I could play it. Loved the "tower mode" (or whatever it was called).

John The Drummer
03-19-2014, 04:18 PM
9. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/37/7d/1e719833e7a0430846c22110.L.jpg

The first Donkey Kong Country was an amazing and groundbreaking platformer for the SNES, but DKC2 stepped it up even more! The level's just had more to look at, the bosses were one part frustrating and one part fun/mind bending, and the gameplay just felt more fun and complete! I wanted to put all three of the SNES DK's as this post, but I spent most of my time playing this one, even if DK3 had more to collect and more to do. Just a very memorable game for all the right reasons.... and Funky Kong is THE SHIT.

PVH5150
03-19-2014, 04:25 PM
7. Driver 2

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KHFD9PV9L.jpg

Before Grand Theft Auto took over the world, we had a great series called Driver! I remember getting a demo disc of the first Driver in the mail and totally falling in love with it. Sure you couldn't get out of your car, but it was fun to run from the cops and break the law. In the year 2000 a sequel to Driver came out, and it was leaps and bounds ahead of the original with the ability to get out of your car and high-jack others cars! The graphics weren't that great, but the story line was just amazing, plus, this was pre-GTA so the ability to high jack cars on the road was amazing!

Both D1 & D2 were awesome as hell.

.....Then Driv3r came out and it was more awful than the illegitimate love child of Illud Divinum Insanus and Super Collider.

El Gordo
03-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Driver! I totally forgot about that game... I used to play the SHIT out of it! Unfortunately I think I only played the second one a handful of times and don't remember much about it. I do remember loving the fact that you could get out and jack cars though.

John The Drummer
03-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Both D1 & D2 were awesome as hell.

.....Then Driv3r came out and it was more awful than the illegitimate love child of Illud Divinum Insanus and Super Collider.
:lol: Driv3r definitely wasn't the best. It had it's moments, but was so buggy. Definitely was trying to be a GTA clone by then, but as stated, the first two were just so awesome!

John The Drummer
03-19-2014, 04:35 PM
10. Halo 3

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Oil1WlkiL.jpg

I cannot even begin to count how many hours I spent on this game, and how many late nights I spent playing this with my friends! I used to stay up until at least 2am almost every night doing forge and team slayer, and man, I really wish I could have that time back :lol:.... but it was fun. Halo Reach and Halo 4 were both kick ass games, and i felt a bit more polished and maybe even a little more fun than Halo 3 was, but this was the first Halo I owned and put time into, so it has a special place in my heart! So much boosting when having my Xbox set to Japanese time :D.

adamclark52
03-19-2014, 05:13 PM
I only ever played the first Driver and it was awesome...once you got passed that damn tutorial level. Gaaaaaah! We used to get so fucked up in college and play that one mode where the cops were chasing you.

John The Drummer
03-20-2014, 04:26 PM
11. WWF WrestleMania 2000 / WWF No Mercy

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G5%2BjhU-nL.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/NoMercyGameBox.jpg

I reaaaaally didn't want to double up on these posts, but I felt that since both of these games were more or less the same (with additional wrestlers, modes, etc) that they both deserve to be on my list! What can be said about these other than they are the best Wrestling video games ever! The SmackDown series on the PS2 was great and really had a lot of flavor to it, but nothing beats the magic that these two games brought. Made by the same developers of WCW World Tour and WCW/NWO Revenge (two more of the best wrestling games ever), they brought everything a wrestling fan could dream of. Create a wrestler, the ability to edit wrestlers attire to keep them up to date, and very easy to learn, yet still innovative controls; it was all here.

I certainly spent more time on WM2000 as I felt No Mercy seemed a tad bit slower, but the amount of wrestlers in No Mercy was just astonishing, and all the additional match types and everything in it really stepped up the N64 wrestling genre into legendary status. It's too bad that games now a days just don't have the same feel, but at least we had these. One of my best memories was making all my weird as fuck characters, like George Yakenstanjabaca (A fat guy with Viscera's face, a "diaper", and a pink afro) and I really wish I still had my N64 so I could relive these games!

PVH5150
03-20-2014, 04:43 PM
11. WWF WrestleMania 2000 / WWF No Mercy

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G5%2BjhU-nL.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/NoMercyGameBox.jpg

I reaaaaally didn't want to double up on these posts, but I felt that since both of these games were more or less the same (with additional wrestlers, modes, etc) that they both deserve to be on my list! What can be said about these other than they are the best Wrestling video games ever! The SmackDown series on the PS2 was great and really had a lot of flavor to it, but nothing beats the magic that these two games brought. Made by the same developers of WCW World Tour and WCW/NWO Revenge (two more of the best wrestling games ever), they brought everything a wrestling fan could dream of. Create a wrestler, the ability to edit wrestlers attire to keep them up to date, and very easy to learn, yet still innovative controls; it was all here.

I certainly spent more time on WM2000 as I felt No Mercy seemed a tad bit slower, but the amount of wrestlers in No Mercy was just astonishing, and all the additional match types and everything in it really stepped up the N64 wrestling genre into legendary status. It's too bad that games now a days just don't have the same feel, but at least we had these. One of my best memories was making all my weird as fuck characters, like George Yakenstanjabaca (A fat guy with Viscera's face, a "diaper", and a pink afro) and I really wish I still had my N64 so I could relive these games!

No Mercy > WM2000, on the sole basis of the weapons not falling into the ring after one use.

John The Drummer
03-20-2014, 04:49 PM
12. Mario Kart Wii

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Mario_Kart_Wii.png

In my opinion the Wii did have very many memorable games outside of the Mario's (platformers), Zelda's, and maybe a couple other franchises, so when I heard about Mario Kart Wii I wasn't too sure about it, figured it was just going to be another Mario Kart.... not that that's a bad thing or anything, just didn't think it'd really stand out for this overall lackluster of a video game console, but I was wrong.... VERY WRONG. Mario Kart Wii was and IS one of the most fun games I have ever played. It's so basic, yet so fun and exciting and every race just feels like a new experience. All the tracks are designed amazingly, and all the retro tracks were remade perfectly for the Wii! One of my biggest praises about this game was the control layout.... you can use the Wii mote and hold it like a steering wheel (really makes me feel like I am playing Daytona USA in the arcade), use the Wii Mote and Nunchuck, or use a Gamecube/Old school controller. So many different ways to play this game, and each way has its own learning curve, as well as positives and negatives.

I can't think of too many racing games out there that truly feel like they will be around for a long time and still feel new and fresh, but this is definitely one of them! My girlfriend and I and her son often play this as well, which is so fun.... except when I get my ass handed to me by a 7 year old! :lol: He is so good at it! Any who, great game.

John The Drummer
03-20-2014, 04:50 PM
No Mercy > WM2000, on the sole basis of the weapons not falling into the ring after one use.

AH! I forgot about that. I really want to go back and play those games again so badly. Plus the entrances in No Mercy were quite better.... so ok... maybe I do need to play both again and revise my review :D

John The Drummer
03-20-2014, 05:43 PM
13. Crazy Taxi

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418KF6K0C0L.jpg

If you missed out on this game... well... you really missed out. Originally an arcade title, then ported to the Dreamcast, then to the PS2 and Gamecube (I only ever played it on PS2). This game was just simple fun and chaos. You are a taxi driver going around the levels taking people to their destinations and trying to find the best way to get there. The soundtrack was so fun with The Offspring and Bad Religion playing as you race through the streets.

I think my favorite memory of this game would be the Mini-games in it, especially the Bowling level. So much fun, yet so frustrating that it kept making you come back to improve your score or just complete the mini-game in general.

John The Drummer
03-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Final game for the night...

14. Resident Evil 2

http://i.neoseeker.com/boxshots/R2FtZXMvUGxheXN0YXRpb24vQWN0aW9uL1Nob290ZXI=/resident_evil_2_dual_shock_edition_frontcover_larg e_Hg3NdlvHTEsju7i.jpg

Aww yes, I remember seeing this game in Gamepro magazine and thinking it looked so awesome, so I went to Blockbuster one weekend, rented it.... AND ABSOLUTELY HATED IT! I thought the controls sucked, the whole fixed camera was frustrating, and I had no idea how to shoot my gun.... fast forward a few months later when I am watching my friend play it... and I am hooked. The story, and action, the plot twists, the monsters... and the ability to play through the other characters scenario after you completed yours (I can't think of many games that take advantage of this).

I ended up getting my own copy of it and fell in love with the game... I loved all the characters and just everything about it. Still had to use Gameshark to make it through most of the game, but it was amazingly fun :D.

Favorite Moment? : Seeing Mr. X for the first time and running like a scared little bitch due to how huge he is :eyes:

DisposableJustice
03-20-2014, 06:03 PM
13. Crazy Taxi

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418KF6K0C0L.jpg

If you missed out on this game... well... you really missed out. Originally an arcade title, then ported to the Dreamcast, then to the PS2 and Gamecube (I only ever played it on PS2). This game was just simple fun and chaos. You are a taxi driver going around the levels taking people to their destinations and trying to find the best way to get there. The soundtrack was so fun with The Offspring and Bad Religion playing as you race through the streets.

I think my favorite memory of this game would be the Mini-games in it, especially the Bowling level. So much fun, yet so frustrating that it kept making you come back to improve your score or just complete the mini-game in general.

I only played this with friends at an arcade but yes very fun I loved flying over hills and hitting a few people in the street along the way;)

John The Drummer
03-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Half way there with this post!

15. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QhxWpU-BfBY/TVmAqFrqt3I/AAAAAAAAAiA/k-Y2uYBWbrk/s1600/gta-vice-city-game-cover.png

I have always been a huge fan of the GTA series, every game is near perfection, so it was sooooo hard for me to choose just ONE to put on this list. I was introduced to the series with GTA III, I remember being so confused with the no title screen thing, but such a groundbreaking game and memorable story (and the "Stories" ports were fun as well). GTA: San Andreas was just epic, I never thought such a huge game and map would ever be on the PS2,.nd the characters were so fun. GTAIV felt a bit stale at times, but I still really loved the story line, characters (Brucie) and the "Episodes of Liberty City" were SOOO amazing. GTA: Chinatown Wars was just straight up fun with the top down perspective and drug dealing mini games. GTAV.... just near perfection with all the characters, the multiplayer, and gameplay... I just found myself getting lost as to WTF is going on in the story!??!!? And then there is Vice City..... :rocker:

Vice City was stunning; The addition of motorcycles, the whole 80s vibe, the soundtrack :drool: , the rise to power, I can't think of a single negative thing about this game! Who didn't enjoy chopping people up with the chainsaw? Who didn't enjoy throwing a grenade in the middle of The Malibu? Sure, the world wasn't that big, but it definitely made up for it with everything you could do! I really hope GTA VI takes place back in Vice City!

On a side note, this game introduced me to Slayer and Anthrax, and even to this day, when "You've Got Another Thing Comin" comes on while I am driving (IRL) I get a HUUUUUUGE grin on my face. Such great memories!

AnthG
03-21-2014, 12:30 PM
4. Twisted Metal 2

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Twisted_Metal_2.jpg

Oh what happened to this series? It sure has had its ups and downs (Twisted Metal 4, anyone? It wasn't bad... just.... so odd) but the second release of the series definitely brought out the best! Twisted Metal Black was a great return to form, and just missed being the game representing the series on my list, but nothing can beat TM2! The graphics sucked, the controls were a bit whacky, and the sound was soooooo distorted at times, but this game just had "it". Interesting characters? Check. Great storyline? More or less, check. The adrenaline rush you get when you are about to sink and die in the ice level? HUGE CHECK. I can't say I ever played this game without God Mode turned on (Hold all the top buttons, up, down, left, right, right, left, down, up) but that did not affect the experience at all. Fun from beginning to end! ..... and Calypso is an asshole!

HOLY FUCK HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS POST BEFORE.

And Yes Twisted Metal II is definitely the best of the PS1 titles (though I never played the first one for some reason...). Have you played the latest one for PS3?

John The Drummer
03-21-2014, 03:06 PM
HOLY FUCK HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS POST BEFORE.

And Yes Twisted Metal II is definitely the best of the PS1 titles (though I never played the first one for some reason...). Have you played the latest one for PS3?

The first Twisted Metal wasn't bad, had some cool characters and cool levels, but TM2 definitely was the shining gem in the series!

I haven't played the PS3 one yet, I am not sure how I feel about it since there doesn't seem to be many characters, but I reeeeeeaally want to give it a chance since it's Twisted Metal... and Twisted Metal Black kicked so much ass!

John The Drummer
03-21-2014, 05:24 PM
16. Pure

http://www.veronicazammitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/pure_cover.jpg

An ATV Racing game on my list? I never thought I'd see the day, but Pure definitely brings a very nice charm to the sport! I got this game when I bought my second 360 (came bundled with this and Lego Batman), but I never really cared to give this game a chance for quite a while. One day when I was home I decided "Meh... I'll put it in and see how it is"... and there ya go. This game is just sooooo fun on so many levels! You can do tricks (each set of tricks has a certain level, so you have to do a lot to build up your Special meter), you can race, and you can customize your own ATV. As I said, I never thought that I would be so involved in an ATV racing game, but this one is just amazingly fun. I can still put it in and have a blast.... I guess it's kinda like Mario Kart Wii for me, but only more mature :allan:

John The Drummer
03-21-2014, 06:53 PM
17. Mega Man X

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Mega_Man_X_Coverart.png

One of the first SNES games that I owned that was MY OWN and not a hand me down from my older brother. I was still a baby when the original Mega Man series came out and really only played Mega Man 3, 6, 7, and 8, so when I heard about Mega Man X during my superhero/Power Ranger phase how could I resist!? Everything in this game, and first half of the series really, was so memorable! Collecting the upgrades was a rush, and Zero was such a kick ass character to have as Mega Man X's side kick! Who could forget the awesome soundtrack!? So much 16-bit Metal goodness, such as the the Storm Eagle stage music! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjJqwo89fQ) I may have spent more time playing Mega Man X4 (Zero as a main character and awesome cut scenes? Yes!) but this definitely started it all for me!

Does anyone remember the Mega Man cartoon? I hope I wasn't the only one who marked out when X, Vile, and Spark Mandrill made an appearance!

John The Drummer
03-22-2014, 10:28 AM
18. The Sims

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/The_Sims_Coverart.png

Who isn't tired of living their own life? Getting up in the morning, going to work, coming home, making dinner, going to sleep, repeat.... so why control someone else's life? I cannot count the hours I spent on this game as a young kid, inserting the cheat non-stop to get tons of money so I can make the perfect house... and then not knowing what to do with the huge house that I did end up making :lol: . Hopefully I am not the only one who put a fireplace right next to a bunch of lamps and then deleted all the doors :eyes: ...

Anyway, this game was awesome, maybe not as memorable as Sim City was, but the amount you could do in this game was so great, especially when all the expansion packs came out! Going Downtown was always a fun time! :D

adamclark52
03-22-2014, 10:33 AM
18. The Sims

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/The_Sims_Coverart.png

Who isn't tired of living their own life? Getting up in the morning, going to work, coming home, making dinner, going to sleep, repeat.... so why control someone else's life? I cannot count the hours I spent on this game as a young kid, inserting the cheat non-stop to get tons of money so I can make the perfect house... and then not knowing what to do with the huge house that I did end up making :lol: . Hopefully I am not the only one who put a fireplace right next to a bunch of lamps and then deleted all the doors :eyes: ...

Anyway, this game was awesome, maybe not as memorable as Sim City was, but the amount you could do in this game was so great, especially when all the expansion packs came out! Going Downtown was always a fun time! :D

Fucking Sims. That game came out right when I was finishing college. Thank god it wasn't earlier or I never would have finished college. I remember playing it on my 486 laptop. So choppy but I still just had to play.

John The Drummer
03-22-2014, 12:18 PM
19. Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1225568385-00.jpg

Best Zelda game ever... and I will fight anyone who says differently! I know a lot of people prefer the N64 Zelda games, but this was the game that I remember spending hours and hours on, not even advancing in the game at all, but just simply exploring and seeing if I could find anything hidden that no one knew about. The whole Light World/Dark World concept was amazing, and that final fight with Ganon in the pyramid was so epic and stressful that I played it over and over and over just to do it! I can't say much more that hasn't been said already.... this game is just so amazing and some of the puzzles will keep you thinking for hours!

John The Drummer
03-22-2014, 05:01 PM
20. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/tonyhawkproskater3_ps2box_usa_org_01.jpg

The THPS series was groundbreaking in the sports genre, and video games in general. The first game was just like non other, and I had no idea how it would ever be improved. Really, every game had it's own charm, but THPS3 stood out the most. The soundtrack alone kept me coming back; AFI, CKY, Redman, Motorhead, this game had it all! It also had my most favorite level, Skater Island! That level was so awesome as it was an indoor skate park with so many lines you could come up with, the options were endless!

THPS4 moved into a different style having more "GTA" type objectives (meaning, you explored the world freely and came upon goals). The Underground series was really close to making this list, but it just missed that charm that THPS3 brought to the table.

John The Drummer
03-22-2014, 07:47 PM
21. Batman Arkham Asylum/City

http://86bb71d19d3bcb79effc-d9e6924a0395cb1b5b9f03b7640d26eb.r91.cf1.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/batman-arkham-asylum-xbox-360-box-artwork.jpg http://medialib.oxm.co.uk/covers/batman-arkham-city.jpg

I REALLY hate putting up multiple games from a series.... but how could I not when it came to these two perfect games? Like most games of this generation, I put off playing Arkham Asylum for a very long time. I was watching random video game reviews and saw videos of it and though "WOW! That looks like a really fun game, I wanna check it out." My little brother had a copy of it, so I borrowed it... and from the first second :eek:

This was the Batman game I ALWAYS wanted to play! Fun control, great control, amaaaaaaaaaazing boss fights (the Scarecrow battles, nothing like that in any other game). The Riddler Trophies pissed me off at times... well, all the time, but that didn't make me think any less of the game. How could they possibly one up themselves and make something of the same caliber?..... they did.

I went and bought Arkham City right away and was so hooked from the first cutscene. This game also has what is considered to be one of the best boss fights ever, that being the battle with Mr. Freeze. You can only hurt him with a certain attack/trap once, after that you will have to do something else, which keeps your mind working and makes you really think fast about how you are going to attack him next. I could have done without the Catwomen chapters that came with the GOTY version, especially when playing on "New Game +" mode, but other than that this game is so amazing, and so dramatic!

Games from this gen do not do much for me, but these two are just so stunning and so amazing!

AnthG
03-22-2014, 09:01 PM
What'd you think of the Harley Quinn's revenge DLC, since you have the GOTY edition.

AnthG
03-22-2014, 09:02 PM
The first Twisted Metal wasn't bad, had some cool characters and cool levels, but TM2 definitely was the shining gem in the series!

I haven't played the PS3 one yet, I am not sure how I feel about it since there doesn't seem to be many characters, but I reeeeeeaally want to give it a chance since it's Twisted Metal... and Twisted Metal Black kicked so much ass!

Yeah there aren't characters so much as they're just different cars you can choose from. The story mode has you play as Sweet Tooth, Mr. Grimm, and Dollface. In fact I still haven't finished the last chapter of Dollface's story in the pinball machine because I don't know what the fuck to do.

John The Drummer
03-23-2014, 08:36 AM
What'd you think of the Harley Quinn's revenge DLC, since you have the GOTY edition.

It was good, I really liked playing as Robin and using all of his gadgets, but it could have been A LOT longer. Was a bit of a let down with how short it was.

Yeah there aren't characters so much as they're just different cars you can choose from. The story mode has you play as Sweet Tooth, Mr. Grimm, and Dollface. In fact I still haven't finished the last chapter of Dollface's story in the pinball machine because I don't know what the fuck to do.

:lol: I'm sure it's a good game if you look passed the small amount of characters and just focus on the story. Twisted Metal always had a great way to tell a story, even in Twisted Metal 4!

John The Drummer
03-23-2014, 08:52 AM
22. Final Fantasy IV (DS)

http://www.w5d.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/final-fantasy-4-ds-cover-h1n-net.jpg

I may get some heat for this, but I never played the original version on the SNES, and only played the updated version that was released on the Nintendo DS.... I'm sorry.... but I could get lost in this game for hours upon hours! The characters and plot and fighting mechanics are just amazing, and even though many people hated them, I loved all the cutscenes they put into this game. The current FF games really need to go back and look at these to see what made them so great (and try not to make it seem too dated...) Anways, I got this game one sunny Summer day and didn't think I would spend much time on it, but I was wrong, I spent almost every night leveling up my characters and trying to build the strongest party that I could! I ended up getting stuck at a boss and tried and tried and tried to beat it.... and then my DS got stolen when I was at a concert. End of story.

I really want to go buy another DS and try again at this game. All the time I put into it and all the patience I had searching for every hidden item and what not really needs to pay off some how. I'll give the original a swing one of these days, but as of right now, this is what I like :rocker:

adamclark52
03-23-2014, 09:31 AM

http://www.w5d.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/final-fantasy-4-ds-cover-h1n-net.jpg

I may get some heat for this, but I never played the original version on the SNES, and only played the updated version that was released on the Nintendo DS.... I'm sorry.... but I could get lost in this game for hours upon hours! The characters and plot and fighting mechanics are just amazing, and even though many people hated them, I loved all the cutscenes they put into this game. The current FF games really need to go back and look at these to see what made them so great (and try not to make it seem too dated...) Anways, I got this game one sunny Summer day and didn't think I would spend much time on it, but I was wrong, I spent almost every night leveling up my characters and trying to build the strongest party that I could! I ended up getting stuck at a boss and tried and tried and tried to beat it.... and then my DS got stolen when I was at a concert. End of story.

I really want to go buy another DS and try again at this game. All the time I put into it and all the patience I had searching for every hidden item and what not really needs to pay off some how. I'll give the original a swing one of these days, but as of right now, this is what I like :rocker:

If I were you I'd scrap buying the DS and buy a Playstation (or a PS2 or PS3 that's backwards comparable). Then buy the Final Fantasy Chronicles set that came out in the early 2000's. You get the SNES port of this game plus Chrono Trigger. I didn't like the DS remake but FFIV is something I grew up with. AND CHANGE IS BAD.

John The Drummer
03-23-2014, 10:01 AM
If I were you I'd scrap buying the DS and buy a Playstation (or a PS2 or PS3 that's backwards comparable). Then buy the Final Fantasy Chronicles set that came out in the early 2000's. You get the SNES port of this game plus Chrono Trigger. I didn't like the DS remake but FFIV is something I grew up with. AND CHANGE IS BAD.

That sounds awesome! I sure wouldn't mind owning Chrono Trigger again :eek:
Strongly been considering buying a PS2 again, so many great games on that!

adamclark52
03-23-2014, 10:53 AM
That sounds awesome! I sure wouldn't mind owning Chrono Trigger again :eek:
Strongly been considering buying a PS2 again, so many great games on that!

The Chrono Trigger port is a little weak (bad lag and some pointless anime scenes) but it's worth having and a lot more affordable than buying an SNES copy off eBay.

Dextrimental
03-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Arkham games are among my favorites of the generation just gone! So much fun!

MPF
03-23-2014, 11:03 AM
I haven't been able to keep up in the last few days but hot damn, great minds think alike. if I was to put together a list like this, 90% of them would be the same ones.

John The Drummer
03-23-2014, 12:31 PM
The Chrono Trigger port is a little weak (bad lag and some pointless anime scenes) but it's worth having and a lot more affordable than buying an SNES copy off eBay.
I think one of my main praises about FFIV on the DS was because it was Final Fantasy on the go. You could take it anywhere and play and it wasn't a small tiny game. Took it on tour with me once and definitely made the drive much more enjoyable! Will look into that split PSX release though, sounds great!

Arkham games are among my favorites of the generation just gone! So much fun!
Definitely! So much time can be killed gliding around and finding all the little references to everything. Really bummed that "Arkham Knight" is only going to be a next gen release :(

I haven't been able to keep up in the last few days but hot damn, great minds think alike. if I was to put together a list like this, 90% of them would be the same ones.
Ha! That's a ding! Good to hear that my choices are matching up with others' :D. I think you guys will really like the last little bundle of games i'll be posting :)

adamclark52
03-23-2014, 03:36 PM
You're right, the only reason I ever played FFIV on the DS was because my wife was in the hospital with our first son. I had to stay up all night and it came in handy.

DS and PSP have had some decent Final Fantasy titles I've always wanted to play but I need something like a childbirth or a long trip to play them. And I'm not doing any of those again any time soon.

John The Drummer
03-23-2014, 05:55 PM
23. Lego Batman

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_q8fNXd5xtlE/S9Ycw2DTTuI/AAAAAAAAAJU/7j38kcFJ8XA/s1600/SRjq.jpg

Already hinted at this being on my list in another thread, so might as well get it out of the way! I was never a huge fan of the "Lego" video game series. They were fun, but just never could see myself getting married to them. I played Lego Star Wars a few times with my little brother, and that was all. Lego Batman came bundled with my Xbox 360, and I was a bit disappointed that it didn't come with a (at the moment) better game... but I still checked it out.... and it ended up being one of the funnest video games I had ever put in my console!

It's a very easy pick up and play for all ages, but has a ton of collectables and puzzles to keep even the most mature of gamers interested in it! I loved that after you beat the game you can, well... HAVE TO, go back in free play and swap characters/suits to get certain red bricks and mini-kits. Just SOOOOO much replay value for this game. I got stuck a few times, not really being sure what to do to advance inthe level, or how to accomplish a certain goal without throwing my controller through the TV, but aside from those VERY FEW moments, this was an all around fun, and goofy, game.... and one of the very few games that I actually put effort into 100%ing. I felt a bit lost after completing it since I put so much time after work into it (when I could have been drumming....), but so many fond memories!

And may I add, the driving and flying levels were just SOOO FUN. Infinite ammo = MASS DESTRUCTION!!!!

John The Drummer
03-24-2014, 12:47 PM
24. Rock Band 2

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hBOA8a%2B7L.jpg

I was soooo stoked when the first Rock Band was originally announced, it was about time they give us drummers a game that we can play, and not just pay attention to the guitarists with the Guitar Hero series! Very amazing first game, cool songs, but certainly missing something... and that something was the amazingness that Rock Band 2 brought!

World Tour mode was so fun, especially since it could be done solo, or as a whole band. The ability to go to new cities and play random setlists or customise your own set was just so exhilarating! I made sure that everyone in the world (wide web) knew about my band, "Love Cannon Surprise!". The song list was even better than the first one, and all the DLC that came out during the era of this game were just... WOW. The Earache Thrash Pack still goes down as one of my most favorite DLC bundles to come out for this game, as well as The Who and Iron Maiden packs! Rock Band 3 seemed to be lacking a bit and just didn't have the same "go back and play it again, for fun" feeling that RB2 had.

John The Drummer
03-24-2014, 04:57 PM
25. Mortal Kombat

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110425145408/mk_/images/thumb/9/93/Slider_Mortal_Kombat_2011.jpg/670px-2,675,0,410-Slider_Mortal_Kombat_2011.jpg

Ok, I am going to be a bit of a cheater here for Mortal Kombat.... I grew up with this series, and there are just too many games in it that I actually REALLY fucking enjoyed to the point where I just cannot put one on the list... so here is a list of the games from the series that I liked the most!

Mortal Kombat: Trilogy - All of the characters together in one game was so AMAZING! I always loved going through 8 player kombat and then watching the Fatality videos and what not. So many hours spent on this.... AND YOU CAN PLAY AS THE BOSSES (without cheat codes).

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - MK4 really failed at the whole 3D environment thing, so I was worried about MK:DA..... but omfg it was amazing! The ability to "ring out" your opponents and just give a total 3D beat down was so fun!

Mortal Kombat: Deception - The reason I loved this game so much was because of its Konquest mode. I hated Shujinko, but I LOVED the fact you could go between worlds and run into all the other characters and find secrets and and and and.... just a very all around fun game!

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks - MK as a 3D beat 'em up.... what else could one ask for? Many hours were spent on this due to how fun it was. Endless supply of time can be spent on it! :D

Mortal Kombat: Ermahgerdern - EVERY Mortal Kombat character together... it's like Trilogy, but in 3D and with EVEN MORE Characters. Really loved seeing how the guys from MK4 would look in a new and updated environment.

Mortal Kombat (2011 or whatevs) - The story mode in this game was great. It played out as a movie and at times I got bummed when I HAD to fight :lol:

So there ya go guys, a quick run down of my favorite MK games! I really could not pick only one... I had to do multiple because each one really has its own character to it. I know I omitted MK, MKII, and MK3, but I feel that all 3 of those can be put together in MK Trilogy.

adamclark52
03-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Three words that made Rockband 2 such a winner: NO. FAIL. MODE. Nothing beat watching my wife struggle through Sabotage by the Beastie Boys.

John The Drummer
03-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Three words that made Rockband 2 such a winner: NO. FAIL. MODE. Nothing beat watching my wife struggle through Sabotage by the Beastie Boys.

Hahaha, I always felt really ashamed of myself if I ever had to turn no fail mode on :lol:

adamclark52
03-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Hahaha, I always felt really ashamed of myself if I ever had to turn no fail mode on :lol:

Fukk dat shit. It was all in the name of fun...and seeing my wife get 3%.

John The Drummer
03-24-2014, 05:54 PM
I really want to get this list done and over with... and since that Mortal Kombat post was a bit of a cop out... here is another :D

26. Red Dead Redemption

http://s4.thcdn.com/productimg/0/600/600/40/10529240-1315999438-847449.jpg

Simple put, this is one of, if not the best, sandbox game ever made. First impressions can always lead you in the wrong way, and when I heard about Rockstar Games making a "western" I thought to myself "Wow... that's going to be fucking stupid" (I never played Red Dead Revolver, so this was a first for me). I was reaaaaaaally skeptical about how a game taking place back in the "wild west" with cowboys and gold and horseback riding would be.....

IT'S AMAZING

This game sucks you in from the start. It's a lot like the GTA game writing where it does in fact start out a liliiiiiiiittle bit slow, but that's just to familiarize yourself with the characters, controls, and nature of the game. After the initial "McFarlen's Ranch" missions, you get out into the wild crazy world of RDR. This game isn't just about Cowboys and Indians, but about all the things from back then: People ripping others off with "miracle tonics", crazy people in the hills, cannibals, crooked government officials, and best of all.... hunting! The side missions had you hunting certain animals, collecting plants, shooting X amount of X with X gun using your Dead Eye ability, etc etc etc. This game brought never ending fun. Of course with games like GTA V it takes it to a whole new level with everything Rockstar learned froM RDR... plus it has cars :lol: . The horseback riding and long distance traveling was a bit much at times, but the gameplay and story made up for the hours you spent riding around in circles.

A DLC pack called "Undead Nightmare" came out for this as well. Without spoiling the story and whats going on, there are Zombies.... lots of Zombies, and ammo is scarce, so you need to loot every body you find. Also, they have the four horses of the apocalypse.... HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT!?!?!? Anyway, I've given away too much of the DLC Story. I didn't put a whole lot of time into it, but it's a very VERY fun adventure.

kalfitegrdan
03-24-2014, 11:34 PM
I just borrowed RDR from a friend awhile back, so I didn't get too much time with it, but Undead Nightmare was fucking amazing.

I still think Gun for original Xbox might be my favorite cowboy game though. Fuck, I forgot to put that one on my list.

dcmetal108
03-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Gun was on xbox 360 as well.

MPF
03-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Red Dead Redemption is absolutely one of the best games ever made.

John The Drummer
03-25-2014, 12:24 PM
I just borrowed RDR from a friend awhile back, so I didn't get too much time with it, but Undead Nightmare was fucking amazing.

I still think Gun for original Xbox might be my favorite cowboy game though. Fuck, I forgot to put that one on my list.

Gun was on xbox 360 as well.

I never got the chance to play "Gun", but I always heard it was an awesome game! Will need to czech it out some time!

Red Dead Redemption is absolutely one of the best games ever made.

DARN TOOTIN! Seth (I think that's his name) was soooo creepy... reminded me of Golum (thats the little monster guy who wants the ring badly... right?) from LOTR :lol:

MPF
03-25-2014, 12:26 PM
DARN TOOTIN! Seth (I think that's his name) was soooo creepy... reminded me of Golum (thats the little monster guy who wants the ring badly... right?) from LOTR :lol:

:lol: oh yeah, Seth. I'm sure what he did happened a lot back then. haha

John The Drummer
03-25-2014, 12:32 PM
27. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6139QD2Z3ZL.jpg

I was a very late starter on the MGS series and didn't play any of them until MGS2, but I was always so lost and confused as to what was what and who was who that I didn't really get involved in it for quite a while. And I was one of the few people who thought Raiden was kick ass.

After I finally got more invested in MGS2 and its controls and the whole story I was hooked on the series, and was soooo ready when MGS3: Snake Eater was announced. I remember the opening part of it played out like a spy movie, and all the goofy moments and references involving Raiden were great, you knew Kojima was poking fun at the fans because of how hated he was in MGS2.

This entire game was just non-stop fun, and all the boss fights had their own strategies and patterns you had to follow, none of them were similar, but all so verrrrry memorable. The fight with The Fury, The Sorrow and The End were among my favorites, especially that little cheat you could do where you save the game during The End's fight, turn off the system, then wait a week or so, come back to it, and he passed away due to old age :lol: . I have grown out of the Metal Gear series quite a bit since completing this game (the HD remake), but this will always be one of the most exciting and intriguing and just straight up fun game ever to be released on the PS2. :rocker:

John The Drummer
03-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Teaser post for the final 3 games!

28. A very well known franchise, and a game that I feel is waaaaaaaaay too underrated. Didn't get to play it a whole lot since my Wii got stolen, but the amount I did play was worth it.

29. A game that will be no surprise to anyone, but such an amazing game from beginning to end, and everything in between.

30. A game from a very well known franchise, again. This game was just so amazing and groudbreaking for said franchise, so many people loved it, yet it is SOOOOO overlooked and forgotten about in todays day.

MPF
03-25-2014, 03:19 PM
BMX XXX?

John The Drummer
03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
BMX XXX?

:lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I forgot all about that game! On a similar note... Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 was almost on this list.....

adamclark52
03-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Teaser post for the final 3 games!

28. A very well known franchise, and a game that I feel is waaaaaaaaay too underrated. Didn't get to play it a whole lot since my Wii got stolen, but the amount I did play was worth it.

29. A game that will be no surprise to anyone, but such an amazing game from beginning to end, and everything in between.

30. A game from a very well known franchise, again. This game was just so amazing and groudbreaking for said franchise, so many people loved it, yet it is SOOOOO overlooked and forgotten about in todays day.

Since this list is so similar to mine I'm going to say:
28. Mass Effect 3

29. Knights of the Old Republic

30. Final Fantasy XII

John The Drummer
03-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Not quite :D

28. Super Paper Mario

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Super_Paper_Mario_cover.jpg

It has been quite a while since I have played this gem, and sadly, my memory of a lot of it is escaping me at the moment, other then the fact that it was AMAZINGLY FUN FOR ALL AGES. I was never into the Paper Mario series at all, I always thought it seemed rather bland or just childish (I was at THAT age, so when this was first released I didn't care. Through friends and the interwebz I heard that it was an insanely fun game, so I figured "Eh, what da heck? I'll give 'er a spin!" And I am sure glad that I did.

This game is kinda like Fez in a way, where you can switch the camera angle/perspective around and what not. It takes place in a mostly 2D world, but when you flip the view point, the once 2D world now turns into a 3D styled platformer, and sometimes revealing hidden items and enemies and doors and and and. The whole "changing the perspective" thing really made this game have a nice feeling of new, fresh, and exciting. I didn't get TOO far in it, but the small time I spent playing it was just SO AMAZING, and the RPG aspect of it is great. Gotta love them Mario RPG's ! :D

kalfitegrdan
03-25-2014, 11:00 PM
The first time I ever saw anyone play Paper Mario, I was really high and it blew my freaking mind.

John The Drummer
03-26-2014, 11:14 AM
29. Final Fantasy VII

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tkmb93AiL.jpg

The game that I thought wouldn't be too big of a surprise to everyone, and the game that got me involved in the Final Fantasy series (I saw 3 on the SNES when I was super young, but it did not look very interesting to me, at the time) and the game that made me LOOOOOVE some RPG's. I first saw this game when my friends older brother was playing it, and he used the Ifrit summon and I was HOOKED. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I rented the game not long after, got decently far, but had no memory card to sive my files :( . I still have never beaten this game, but the amount of times I have played through it is up there!

I saw an add on Facebook about this game being downloadable for only $10, so I downloaded this game on my laptop about 1.5 years ago and been slooooowly working my way through it again, but mainly grinding levels :)

Everything about this game is what I love about video games: A deep story, Interesting characters, easy-ish to pick up and play, and a great world to explore and find all of it's hidden mysteries! Not much more can be said about this game that hasn't already been said numeous times since it's initial release, but it still lives up to today as one of my most favorite video games of all time!

MPF
03-26-2014, 11:18 AM
I remember getting FF7 for Christmas that year. I remember getting it from Santa and when I opened it up it had a Gigantic Target sticker on it and my dad looks me straight in the eye and says, :If you still believe in Santa....Uhh....well even he has to shop at Target during the Holidays."

Also that year when we left out Milk and cookies, there was a full glass of milk, no cookies and an empty beer can left in it's place.

:lol:

But back to the game, I never made it past disc 2. It was way too hard for me at the time.

adamclark52
03-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Had I done a top thirty instead of a top twenty-five Final Fantasy VII probably been in there. I playing it for the first time in ten year last year and I'd forgotten how dark the story is. Definitely the darkest Final Fantasy. The only problem it really has now is that it looks TERRIBLE. But the story was great, the characters were good, Tifas boobs were massive and the music was awesome.

I always say that it's not my favorite Final Fantasy but I agree that it is probably the best Final Fantasy.

John The Drummer
03-26-2014, 11:54 AM
I remember getting FF7 for Christmas that year. I remember getting it from Santa and when I opened it up it had a Gigantic Target sticker on it and my dad looks me straight in the eye and says, :If you still believe in Santa....Uhh....well even he has to shop at Target during the Holidays."

Also that year when we left out Milk and cookies, there was a full glass of milk, no cookies and an empty beer can left in it's place.

:lol:

But back to the game, I never made it past disc 2. It was way too hard for me at the time.

:lol: We always left cookies and beer out for Santa at my house :D
Disc 2 was a BIATCH. I remember how happy I was that summer day when I beat disc 1.... and then the singer of my band at the time got in a car accident right outside my house....

Had I done a top thirty instead of a top twenty-five Final Fantasy VII probably been in there. I playing it for the first time in ten year last year and I'd forgotten how dark the story is. Definitely the darkest Final Fantasy. The only problem it really has now is that it looks TERRIBLE. But the story was great, the characters were good, Tifas boobs were massive and the music was awesome.

I always say that it's not my favorite Final Fantasy but I agree that it is probably the best Final Fantasy.

HA! Yeah, it's waaaaaaaay too Polygon-y, but still good, for its time at least. FFVIII definitely stepped up the graphics, though :drool: . The download I got has a smoother look to it, which kinda takes away from what I am used to.

John The Drummer
03-26-2014, 04:29 PM
I wanted to make you all wait in suspense for the last game on my list... which is in no way the BEST game, as this was one of my famous IN NO ORDER lists... but I figured I'll just post it and get it out of the way so I can relax :D

30. Super Mario RPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/89/SuperMarioRPGSNESCoverArtUS.jpg

5 years after Super Mario World took over living rooms across the world... and about 6+ months after Yoshi's Island... came one of the greatest and most overlooked (IMO) games on the SNES, and possibly ever.... Super Mario RPG!

This game put you in a whole new story where Bowser is not your enemy, and in fact, joins your party as you and your group take on an amazing adventure to take out the Smithy Gang! The game play mechanics and control scheme took a little to get used to, but once you got it down the game was just unquestionably fun from start to finish! The graphics, story, characters (new and old) were just top notch, and who would have thought that Mario would be able to take what Final Fantasy had made it's name for doing, and that's making amazing RPG's. I didn't know much back then, but this game was, and still is, one of the best and most entertaining games on the SNES.

I really loved the character they made for this game, Geno. He was so awesome, but so dark just by how he looks, really reminds me of Vincent from Final Fantasy VII. Anyways, I don't know what else to say, but if you haven't played this game (or the later Paper Mario series) then please do yourself a favor and check it out! It's on the Wii Virtual Console, and I really want to buy a Wii again JUST so I can play this.

MPF
03-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Killer list all the way through!

John The Drummer
03-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks for checking out my list, guys! Hope you all enjoyed it and hopefully it brought back even more nostalgia that the other threads didn't bring :D

Here is List of all the games for those who don't want to scroll through....

1. Rock n Roll Racing (SNES)
2. Theme Park Roller Coaster (PS2)
3. Frequency (PS2)
4. Twisted Metal 2 (PS)
5. Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (N64)
6. Peggle (XBLA)
7. Driver 2 (PS)
8. Tetris (Gameboy)
9. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES)
10. Halo 3 (360)
11. WrestleMania 2000/No Mercy (N64)
12. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
13. Crazy Taxi (PS2)
14. Resident Evil 2 (PS)
15. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
16. Pure (360)
17. Mega Man X (SNES)
18. The Sims (PC)
19. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
20. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 (PS2)
21. Batman Arkham Asylum/City
23. Lego Batman (360)
24. Rock Band 2 (360)
25. Mortal Kombat (numerous)
26. Red Dead Redemption (360)
27. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2 + 360)
28. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
29. Final Fantasy VII (PS)
30. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)

Here are some honorable mentions!
- Pokemon Heart Gold / Platinum (DS)
Heart Gold took one of the better "classics" and totally pimped it out! Platinum just had an awesome storyline and a great world to explore.

- Fez (360)
One of the most mind bending puzzle/platformers ever. Almost made the list.

- Super Star Wars (series) (SNES)
A hard as hell series, I hated it so much that I loved it. Goddamn vehicle levels...

- Batman Returns (SNES)
A lot of people prefer the Genesis version, but the SNES version was just so fun with amazing replay value! Great beat 'em up!

- Beavis and Butthead (SNES)
Beavis and Butthead go from level to level to make it to a GWAR show... this couldn't have been posted at a better time :( . This game was just stupid fun.