PDA

View Full Version : Arch Enemy Announce New Album, New Singer

Steev
03-17-2014, 10:04 AM
In early June 2014, ARCH ENEMY will unleash their 9th studio album, War Eternal, worldwide via Century Media Records and Trooper Entertainment in Japan.
With this upcoming release, the band will introduce a new member to their ranks: Alissa White-Gluz, former vocalist of Canadian extreme metallers THE AGONIST. Angela Gossow, who joined ARCH ENEMY in 2000 and made her debut on the now classic Wages Of Sin (2001), will be stepping down as front-woman and focusing on management, while Alissa takes her place.

Angela Gossow comments:
“Dear ARCH ENEMY fans, this is not easy to tell you…I have decided to step down from being ARCH ENEMY’s voice of anger. After 13 years of pure fucking metal, 6 studio albums and countless tours through five continents, I feel the need to enter a different phase in my life, be with my family and pursue other interests. I will however remain business manager for ARCH ENEMY, and I will continue to develop my artist management roster.
I am staying true to my heavy metal roots, just leaving the spotlight so to speak. I am passing the torch to the super talented Alissa White-Gluz, whom I’ve known as a dear friend and a superb vocalist for many years. I always thought she deserved a chance to shine – and now she’s getting it. Just like I got that chance back in 2001.
I want to thank all ARCH ENEMY fans, our labels Century Media (worldwide) and Trooper Entertainment (Japan), our dedicated road crew, and in particular Michael, Daniel and Sharlee for their love and support throughout all these years. It’s been one hell of a ride! We conquered every situation, made it through thick & thin together in the most exciting and rewarding time of my life. Thank you all for being there with me on stage, in front of the stage, and backstage. You have touched my heart, and I hope I was able to give something back to you. I am grateful for the wonderful memories - I will cherish them forever!
I am looking forward to the next decade of ARCH ENEMY madness! Right now I am listening through rough mixes of the new studio album and I am blown away! 2014 will see a renewed ARCH ENEMY at the top of their game. I am proud to be part of this ARCH ENEMY chapter, albeit in a different way - revving up the engines behind the scenes. I hope to see you in front of the stage, I will join you there this time. Let the killing begin, once again!”

Alissa White-Gluz comments:
"I am very honored and happy to announce a new chapter in my life and musical career beginning now; I have joined forces with one of my all-time favorite and globally respected bands, ARCH ENEMY. ‘Wages of Sin’ was the first metal album I ever bought, and it was love at first listen. It is not often that you get a phone call from your favorite band asking you to join! I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with such amazingly talented musicians whom I also consider great friends. I look forward to being able to write and perform at a whole new level now with ARCH ENEMY! Music is forever, metal is limitless and this is only the beginning!"

Chief song-writer and band leader Michael Amott, who founded ARCH ENEMY in 1995, comments:
“We are eternally grateful to Angela for all her passion, hard work and talent. Her legacy is tremendous and will always be a big part of the band’s history. We feel great pride in what has been achieved in the past, but also look forward to new battles and new victories. We welcome Alissa with open arms - and we hope you will have open ears. We might have just created our most wicked metal opus yet with our upcoming album ‘War Eternal’!”

Maideneer
03-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Interesting. Well, glad I caught this train a bunch of times before it left the station.

Steev
03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Interesting. Well, glad I caught this train a bunch of times before it left the station.

Only seen twice(both in 2005), but atleast one was headlining

MPF
03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

That actually really shocks me, and I'm not even much of a fan. Sad to see her go.

ravenheart
03-17-2014, 10:12 AM
The new album is going to have to be amazing to make me care about seeing them anymore.

TehBr00tulz
03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm more upset about Alissa leaving The Agonist than Angela leaving Arch Enemy. Then again, I never really got into Arch Enemy.

detuned
03-17-2014, 10:27 AM
The Agonist (https://www.facebook.com/TheAgonistOfficial/photos/a.161172840598897.28232.147234451992736/630016707047839/)
Today we announce that after 3 albums and countless tours we officially part ways with vocalist Alissa White-Gluz. We wish Alissa all the best with Arch Enemy and her future endeavors.

It is the beginning of a new and exciting chapter for The Agonist! We are thrilled to announce the newest addition to the The Agonist family. Please give a warm welcome to very talented vocalist Vicky Psarakis!

Stay tuned for new The Agonist material coming VERY soon!
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/q82/s720x720/1669869_630016707047839_496331188_o.jpg

detuned
03-17-2014, 10:29 AM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1391585_760529000648652_739206219_n.jpg

MPF
03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
The Agonist (https://www.facebook.com/TheAgonistOfficial/photos/a.161172840598897.28232.147234451992736/630016707047839/)

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/q82/s720x720/1669869_630016707047839_496331188_o.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoS1MCF8AeI

SomewhereInTime72
03-17-2014, 02:50 PM
:( Nooooooo. Hope the new album is still good.

kalfitegrdan
03-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Awww...less interested now that her hair isn't blue anymore. :lol:

Derp. Nevermind. That's The Agonist's new vocalist, not the old one.

adamclark52
03-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Why couldn't Michael Amott have left to rejoin Carcass?

JRA
03-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Why couldn't Michael Amott have left to rejoin Carcass?

I'm not even that bummed about this but yea.....I have to agree. (even though Arch Enemy is his band).

adamclark52
03-17-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm not even that bummed about this but yea.....I have to agree. (even though Arch Enemy is his band).

I heard some Arch Enemy song today (doesn't matter which) and the melodies, harmonies and riffs would've fit so great on Surgical Steel.

Natrlhi
03-17-2014, 06:49 PM
The new album is going to have to be amazing to make me care about seeing them anymore.

Why, because their new vocalist isn't European? :rolleyes: :finger:

This bums me out a bit, because Angela was outstanding at not only vocals but also being a frontwoman and spokesperson for the band. She was very charismatic and fun to watch. That said, at least I got to see them live once, and at least we get to see what Alissa can do with a truly great band behind her. The Agonist was never my cup of tea, but I always suspected this chick had talent. Now we get to find out. I'm hopeful if for no other reason than I doubt Arch Enemy would have asked her to join if she weren't a madwoman.

dcmetal108
03-17-2014, 06:51 PM
I really liked The Agonist and never got into AE too much.

LogicBomb
03-17-2014, 10:10 PM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1391585_760529000648652_739206219_n.jpg

This picture, lol

Not like I give a shit about Arch Enemy anymore, but fuck the Agonist. I mean, regardless of how shitty they are musically-I saw them open like 6 years ago and she spat her gum in my friend's hair because we were all ignoring them and waiting for Enslaved to come on.

AnthG
03-18-2014, 03:08 AM
I like the Agonist quite a bit (Lullabies for the Doormant mind is an awesome album), but Alissa seems like she can be bit of an unpleasant person to be around, and I feel like being in a bigger band now will only make that unpleasantness more pronounced. I saw them in 2010 with Scar Symmetry and Blackguard and after the show I went up to Alissa outside the venue to tell her the show was good and that I was a fan, ec. etc. Extended my hand out and she sort of just glanced at me, shook my hand, said "thanks" in the most unenthusiastic tone possible and quickly turned her attention elsewhere. I wasn't expecting her to be all excited that the 50th fan that day approached her with shit she doesn't care about, but c'mon...show some enthusiasm. Their guitarist was a bit of a dick too. And then last year when I caught a headlining show they played for like 30 minutes saying they were too sick, injured, etc. Their drummer's a nice guy at least.

ravenheart
03-18-2014, 03:50 AM
Why, because their new vocalist isn't European? :rolleyes: :finger:

Why would that matter?

The Agonist was never my cup of tea, but I always suspected this chick had talent. Now we get to find out. I'm hopeful if for no other reason than I doubt Arch Enemy would have asked her to join if she weren't a madwoman.

This is why I think it's foolish of AE to not accompany the announcement with a song from the new album.

Steev
03-18-2014, 06:37 AM
I remember hearing The Agonist cover Dark Tranquility, I dont think I liked it

otherwise the only thing I know is she was in Revolver like 8 years ago going on a straight edge tirade

girnny777
03-18-2014, 07:21 AM
I saw The Agonist open up for The Haunted a few years ago. They were pretty awful. I have no hope for the new AE album, especially considering how awful Khaos Legions and The Root of All Evil were.

ravenheart
03-18-2014, 07:29 AM
There was nothing at all wrong with Khaos Legions. In fact, I recall it being very popular when it was released.

MetalIsArt
03-18-2014, 07:33 AM
I must be one of the few who likes AE with Angela :eyes:

Natrlhi
03-18-2014, 07:59 AM
I really liked The Agonist and never got into AE too much.That's cuz your a idjit

Why would that matter?It shouldn't, but I've noticed over the years that, given a choice between a thing from the U.S. and a thing from Europe, you tend to favor the thing from Europe no matter what, especially of it's British. :D (and of course, I'd expect nothing different)

This is why I think it's foolish of AE to not accompany the announcement with a song from the new album.Agreed.

I remember hearing The Agonist cover Dark Tranquility, I dont think I liked it

otherwise the only thing I know is she was in Revolver like 8 years ago going on a straight edge tiradeIrrelevant on both counts. The Agonist isn't writing the music here - Arch Enemy is, and since when does a vocalist being straight-edge (or not) affect the band's sound?

There was nothing at all wrong with Khaos Legions. In fact, I recall it being very popular when it was released.Exactly. Khaos Legions was a damned decent release, and Root of All Evil was essentially a re-release of old AE stuff with Angela's vocals on it, which turned out even better than I'd expected.

I must be one of the few who likes AE with Angela :eyes:I don't see this being the case at all. Who said that? If anything, I think the majority of folks like Angela. That's why people are a bit concerned that Alissa will be able to adequately fill her shoes.

ravenheart
03-18-2014, 08:25 AM
It shouldn't, but I've noticed over the years that, given a choice between a thing from the U.S. and a thing from Europe, you tend to favor the thing from Europe no matter what, especially of it's British. :D (and of course, I'd expect nothing different)

I just favour the better thing in all cases :finger:

MetalIsArt
03-18-2014, 09:21 AM
That's cuz your a idjit

It shouldn't, but I've noticed over the years that, given a choice between a thing from the U.S. and a thing from Europe, you tend to favor the thing from Europe no matter what, especially of it's British. :D (and of course, I'd expect nothing different)

Agreed.

Irrelevant on both counts. The Agonist isn't writing the music here - Arch Enemy is, and since when does a vocalist being straight-edge (or not) affect the band's sound?

Exactly. Khaos Legions was a damned decent release, and Root of All Evil was essentially a re-release of old AE stuff with Angela's vocals on it, which turned out even better than I'd expected.

I don't see this being the case at all. Who said that? If anything, I think the majority of folks like Angela. That's why people are a bit concerned that Alissa will be able to adequately fill her shoes.

It came as a shock tho. I never look on their facebook page and all of a sudden this came first on the "message" list :D

ravenheart
03-18-2014, 09:25 AM
I too am a bit surprised at how many people are suddenly saying "meh, I haven't cared about AE for ages anyway".

MetalIsArt
03-18-2014, 09:58 AM
I too am a bit surprised at how many people are suddenly saying "meh, I haven't cared about AE for ages anyway".

That's not really new, hence my "sarcastic" remark of me being the only one liking AE with Angela quite a lot.

moobys37
03-18-2014, 10:09 AM

I think that'll change once they tour the States again if people react positively to the new record. They haven't toured here since 2011 and a lot of the melodic death metal crowd that like them are really out of sight out of mind when it comes to the bands they hype up. It's why Amon Amarth is so popular over here.

ravenheart
03-18-2014, 10:10 AM
I will probably see them in June, so I'll let people know what they're like live with Alissa.

That said, they are now at greater risk of losing a clash decision than they were before...

Natrlhi
03-18-2014, 10:22 AM
I will probably see them in June, so I'll let people know what they're like live with Alissa.

That said, they are now at greater risk of losing a clash decision than they were before...

Surely that's really gotta depend on who they clash with, though, right? I mean, the unknown factor works against them, but doesn't curiosity and the fact that most of the band is still intact tend to counterbalance any doubt (at least in most cases)?

For me it would, anyway. You can always leave early if Alissa just doesn't cut it.

300%_Density
03-18-2014, 10:22 AM
I think the lack of alot of NA touring lately has definitely hurt them over here. I haven't seen them tour anywhere near where I live (which doesn't get alot anyway) in several years. The one and only time I've ever seen them was opening the Jager tour for Hatebreed & Slayer back in '03.

ravenheart
03-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Surely that's really gotta depend on who they clash with, though, right?

Of course it does, but there's always a pecking order, and they have fallen down it. For instance, they would previously have beaten Monster Magnet, now they probably won't. Never know though, the only unfuckwithable band is Avatarium, so there's still a better than average chance I'll watch them.

Also, the way it works, abandoning sets early is pointless, because you've already missed the same amount of whoever they clash with, and I hate hopping between partial sets.

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 07:35 AM

I'll probably see them @ Alcatrazz festival. But I'm awaiting more names.

detuned
03-20-2014, 07:48 AM
War Eternal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNhDwS0ZG2s)

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 07:51 AM
War Eternal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNhDwS0ZG2s)

Huh... my problem with this is the riff, not Alissa. Didn't see that coming. Probably because she sounds how I expected her to sound. Flat.

Proper video: http://vimeo.com/89606656

moobys37
03-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Oof, that's really really generic. Alissa doesn't sound bad, but those lyrics and that riff are so corny.

MPF
03-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Sounds like Standard Arch Enemy to me.

Natrlhi
03-20-2014, 10:02 AM
I'm a bit torn. I agree with everyone so far to some extent. Alissa's vocals are a bit flat compared to Angela's, but they're not bad. I also agree that the lyrics are a bit corny, but that's nothing new for Arch Enemy. Angela was just better at selling the corniness because she was more charismatic. In the end, I'm afraid that it's going to boil down to that as the main factor - Angela had so much personality and was such a great frontwoman that it'll be hard for anybody to fill her shoes - even if they're very good on a technical level.

The riffs will always be there - although I agree this may not be their best - so in a way I agree that this really isn't that far off from standard Arch Enemy fare - it just lacks that certain "je ne sais quoi" that some of their better songs have had in the past. I'm hoping that as Alissa gets more comfortable with her role in the band, she takes on more of the cheesy yet awesome personality that made Angela so great...and if it's any consolation, I can see signs of it already. I was watching live performances from both bands on YouTube the other night, and it seems that Alissa'a attitude with Arch Enemy is already more "punchy" than it was with the more technical-sounding metalcore / deathcore sounds of The Agonist backing her up.

So for now, I choose to remain cautiously optimistic...

EDIT: That bit at around 2:35 where she screams "this is fucking WAR!", followed by some nice soloing by Michael is pretty great. If they keep up that kind of shit, I think we'll have a decent album on our hands. :D

moobys37
03-20-2014, 10:23 AM
For me at least it's just that it sounds like they've done this before. I mean, they're not in a position with a new singer that fans are going to be iffy about to change all the much but a little experimentation would really serve them well.

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 10:23 AM
That riff doesn't sound like what they've done before. It doesn't suit them at all.

mankvill
03-20-2014, 10:27 AM
I like it. It's definitely generic sounding melodic death metal, but it's better than most generic sounding melodic death metal.

moobys37
03-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Eh, I'm not the biggest Arch Enemy fan anyway but the riff just feels really familiar. A lot of the Arch Enemy stuff I like is what Chris wrote though so that's probably a factor as well.

infinitydeth
03-20-2014, 10:39 AM
I enjoyed the song. I don't listen to much melodeath or arch enemy for that matter though.

kalfitegrdan
03-20-2014, 02:21 PM
EDIT: That bit at around 2:35 where she screams "this is fucking WAR!", followed by some nice soloing by Michael is pretty great. If they keep up that kind of shit, I think we'll have a decent album on our hands. :D

I like it. It's definitely generic sounding melodic death metal, but it's better than most generic sounding melodic death metal.

Yup.

I agree though that Alissa's vocals sound a bit flat or out of place with Arch Enemy though and that's coming from someone who's was a big fan of The Agonist/her vocals.

mastodon421
03-20-2014, 03:43 PM
I dig it. Alissa's no Angela, but she is still a pretty damn good vocalist. Pretty stoked for the new record now.

Steev
03-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Sounds ok, we'll see how she does with the old material live

AnthG
03-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Could always take or leave Arch Enemy. I guess i'll still sort of take or leave 'em, although I dig Alissa's vox more than Angela's.

hot_turkey_ed
03-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Sounds like Standard Arch Enemy to me.

I hear the Arch Enemy sound in it too. My first reaction on one listen: a little disappointment. There is something missing ( and I don't mean a change in vocalists ) in it for me. I do miss Angela's growling, but that's not it. Perhaps the album will Arch Enemy's Fear Of The Dark (Maiden) or Superheroes (Edguy) ... albums I don't hate but usually encounter and enjoy when shuffling a band's discography.

I maintain two different primary playlists for Arch Enemy... Arch Enemy Johan and Arch Enemy Angela... in a couple of albums, I'll probably add a third one.

ravenheart
03-21-2014, 04:16 AM
I'll probably see them @ Alcatrazz festival. But I'm awaiting more names.

Like Marilyn Manson? ;)

MetalIsArt
03-21-2014, 05:45 AM
Like Marilyn Manson? ;)

Not exactly. :eyes:

El Gordo
03-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Just listened to that new track... I can safely say it's the first Arch Enemy song I've listened to in about ten years. The music sounds like standard melo-death, the vocalist sounds alright. I do remember Gossow sounding particularly venomous though. Anyway, I didn't think the new singer sounded flat, and she fit the music. Unrelated: as a politically incorrect male who enjoys looking at beautiful women, Alissa White-Gluz fits the bill.

mattlion
03-23-2014, 05:54 PM
This will be pretty interesting. I got into Arch Enemy when Wages of Sin came out and I saw them with Angela at NEMHF '02. Since that was my first exposure to them, I was more "used to" the Angela stuff than the Johan stuff, but liked both eras.

However, I don't think I've heard a "unique and new" Arch Enemy song in about 10 years. Even though they are amazing players (particularly on the guitar side of things) it feels like they are never willing to leave their niche. Sure, some bands can make a career out of that (looks at Slayer, Amon Amarth, etc) but with Arch Enemy the skill of the band members makes you wonder what else they could do.

Alissa is a better overall vocalist than Angela - by far. She can sing, she can get deeper with her growls, she can growl in key, etc. She's also got a bit of a diva reputation, and might not have the stage presence of Angela. Unless AE uses this moment to perhaps open their sound up a bit, I could see things ending quickly. They aren't the draw they were in that 2001-2005 period where they were one of the biggest bands in the underground, and everyone in this band is capable of side gigs that pay some of the bills.

Natrlhi
03-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Alissa is a better overall vocalist than Angela - by far. She can sing, she can get deeper with her growls, she can growl in key, etc. She's also got a bit of a diva reputation, and might not have the stage presence of Angela. Unless AE uses this moment to perhaps open their sound up a bit, I could see things ending quickly. They aren't the draw they were in that 2001-2005 period where they were one of the biggest bands in the underground, and everyone in this band is capable of side gigs that pay some of the bills.Keen insights you have, young padawan. Clouded the future of Arch Enemy is. Post more you should. :D

anomynous
03-28-2014, 09:41 AM
http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/archenemywareternalcd.jpg

01. Tempore Nihil Sanat (Prelude In F Minor)
02. Never Forgive, Never Forget
03. War Eternal
04. As The Pages Burn
05. No More Regrets
06. You Will Know My Name
07. Graveyard Of Dreams
08. Stolen Life
09. Time Is Black
10. On And On
11. Avalanche
12. Down To Nothing
13. Not Long For This World

Coma323
03-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Sorta reminds me of Bloodbath's Unblessing the Purity cover.

ravenheart
03-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Keen insights you have, young padawan. Clouded the future of Arch Enemy is. Post more you should. :D

Apart from the bit where Alissa is a better all round vocalist than Angela (given that Alissa's clean vocals are shit versus Angela's which don't exist, so moot point), agreed.

OraclesofAgony
03-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Sorta reminds me of Bloodbath's Unblessing the Purity cover.

Yeah it is similar. The Unblessing The Purity cover is one of my most favorite covers.

JRA
03-29-2014, 05:36 PM
The vocals sound like metal-core. Metal-core Arch Enemy. That is not good.