PDA

View Full Version : The forum is dying a slow death...

treghet
03-16-2014, 02:29 AM
It should be pretty obvious to anybody who has been around here for at least a few years, but nobody has really addressed it. This place was slowing down a bit starting in 2012, but within the last year activity has dropped off dramatically. These days there arenít nearly as many setlists / reviews being posted and the amount of news and general discussion posts have started to dwindle as well. There are very few new users joining now (only four since the beginning of the year) and many once frequent posters are now MIA or just aren't around much these days. I myself left the forum for a while since it seemed to be going downhill, but I came back because I really did miss posting here. Iíve made a lot of friends through this website and I would be sad to see it disappear. We need to find a way to boost activity here, otherwise I fear that the forum will become a ghost town.

elturtleboy
03-16-2014, 02:53 AM
http://makeameme.org/media/created/hes-right-you-qmbtt8.jpg

Seriously though. When I first joined this thread I would see many people posting all the time. There was wayyyyy more activity and what not. Ive met and hung out with some of the coolest people here and now I feel like only 10 ppl still use this site. Though I still talk to most of you on FB,some of the coolest ppl dont post here anymore (Bobby,Dayan). I miss people complaining about Californians having all the good stuff,Seeing Di'Annos wife go nuts,and making fun of Indestructible. We need to make this active again. It's gotten so bad Manky has been on Poppunksetlists.com and some Underage Korean site he found on the deep web. And we still have to have the get together one day.

MetalIsArt
03-16-2014, 03:01 AM
You forgot one thing:

http://i.imgur.com/kLlx3k5.jpg

So please stay for me. :bliss:

dcmetal108
03-16-2014, 05:05 AM
A lot of the bigger and active members all use facebook but I wouldn't say the forum is dead.

Now it's more like 20 or so active people that know each other conversing for shits and giggles.

Spiner202
03-16-2014, 05:16 AM
This forum is still a lot more active than the other two I'm on that are dying. Granted, I wasn't really here when this place was busier, but it still seems decently active to me.

Like most metal boards, I tend to not post a lot of news because it seems like people here have pretty different taste from me aside from a few bands. The 2014 is pretty great for keeping up with new stuff though.

Sanitarium78
03-16-2014, 05:55 AM
I agree for the most part. This forum was always alive back when I first joined. Very rarely was there not a good discussion going on about a band I liked. You could come on here anytime of the day or night and there would be something to post about. A lot of those posters have left and there's been a new influx of members who are into different styles of metal and bands now, so I don't post as much as I used to but i'm still probably considered a regular though.

Sometimes a month or so will pass where no sets or news I care about is posted. I think this forum is still a very complete package overall. Instead of searching a bunch of different sites for updates on bands I listen to, I can still come here and get that. The same with setlists when a band I like starts a tour. This site is still a very good one stop place for metal/rock news and concerts reviews. It's cool having it all in one place on site I can trust. That's the main reason I keep coming back.

IrritatedTrout
03-16-2014, 06:05 AM
I'd like to think that at least for the past few months the lack of setlists is due to the lack of good tours going on. But it does seem less busy than usual.

smearCampaign
03-16-2014, 06:07 AM
When the most active recent threads are some 15 year old's favorite movies and video games, we're fucked.

hellawaits77ny
03-16-2014, 06:20 AM
I still visit every day, but yeah, not much to comment on.

ALSO, doesn't help with new / infrequent posters wanting to contribute when their opinions and/or likes are lambasted by some of the veteran members. Just sayin'.

adamclark52
03-16-2014, 07:30 AM
I noticed a drop-off late 2012. People move on I guess?

MetalIsArt
03-16-2014, 07:36 AM
I noticed a drop-off late 2012. People move on I guess?

I guess.

adamclark52
03-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Some more traffic would be nice. I put a bit of work into some of mg thread-lists and the only time they get any action is if theWildandtheYoung posts something.

It's nice too though that it's a smaller community of like-minded people. You get too many people and it turns into a clusterbomb.

The lack if new setlists is sad. But like someone said it's probably due in large part to a lack of decent shows.I for one haven't been to a concert in six months, so I havent had one to post. And for a new person what does this site offer that setlists.fm doesnt have tenfold? I've even seen some of my setlists from here posted there.

christopher
03-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Yeah it has definitely died down a bit on here. I mostly go to country/bluegrass shows now, so I don't have as many reviews to leave for everyone to read. I still check daily to see what's new on here though.

mankvill
03-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Seems fine to me. We were never a giant message board. The smaller number of members resulted in a closer-knit community of members that has spread from here to Facebook and other places. Once people stop jacking off over "muh fave vidya gaems" and "lel gayhem fest xD" threads, it'll go back to normal.

mastodon421
03-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I don't think the activity level is alarmingly low on here at all. Is there less people than there used to be? Absolutely. Are there less setlists being posted? Yes, but I think that has more to do with the fact that it's March and they're are not that many exciting tours happening atm. That being said, I agree with manks, we were never a very large community. There are still a solid number of active members and for me at least, that's enough to make a forum worth coming back to.

ravenheart
03-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Too many formerly-involved posters lurking doesn't help.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Well, I wasn't here when this site was at it's busiest, but the reason I'm posting all these "Top favorite" threads is because there is not a lot of discussion going on these days. At least when there are threads like that being posted there's discussion, no matter if it's negative or positive towards the idea of the post. I for one prefer a smaller community though, never was a guy who liked being a part of a huge group. Setlist wise I say the same thing as other people have been saying, it's the beginning of the year and not many bands are touring yet and there even fewer good ones that are (though bands I would like to see are way different then most people hear would want to).

larvtard
03-16-2014, 09:40 AM
http://www.fuelyourblogging.com/files/4179063482_2f07bdb00a_b-529x529.jpg

ravenheart
03-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Well, I wasn't here when this site was at it's busiest, but the reason I'm posting all these "Top favorite" threads is because there is not a lot of discussion going on these days.

Reason enough for everyone to start posting properly again! ;)

MetalIsArt
03-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Well, most frequent posters have been here for a long time.

Maybe teh new crowed only listens to A7X & Volbeat and is too "troo" to come here? :confused::confused::confused:

marker
03-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Well, most frequent posters have been here for a long time.

Maybe teh new crowed only listens to A7X & Volbeat and is too "troo" to come here? :confused::confused::confused:

They just don't want to made fun of on a consistent basis.

MetalIsArt
03-16-2014, 10:45 AM
They just don't want to made fun of on a consistent basis.

:D

slapguitarer
03-16-2014, 10:53 AM
The only thing I've really noticed is some regular forum members not posting any more. Other than that, everything seems about fine. I feel like it's a bit more active near the end of the year every year because all the Album Of The Year discussion.

marker
03-16-2014, 10:55 AM
:D

I could see where a new guy with only a few posts would feel uncomfortable on here.

DisposableJustice
03-16-2014, 10:58 AM
I agree I have seen a slow down since I joined in 2010, but I'm not super worried about it; I think part of it, for me a least is with money being so tight I don't go to as many shows as I used to and when I do it is usually a band that has been touring around so there is no surprises for a set list.

I also think how diverse we are in terms of musical taste it can be hard to get discussion going for people who like some types of metal but not others. I joined the official Iron Maiden Boards for about a year and of course because the focus was Iron Maiden, discussions were focused on that which spawned long threads; here since our tastes are so diverse it can be hard to get a long focused thread going unless it "le gayness de Mayhem Fest" and really that can get old after a while

But like I said I'm not too worried; This is the only forum I go to anymore because I like the set-up, my fellow members for the most part are pretty cool and and I enjoy reading reviews, rants and other stuff. Besides nothing out of this world is happening in metal right now, you got your usual tours, new albums, people breaking up, etc.

adamclark52
03-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Theme song for this thread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ3aiM8K6D0)
Jesus fucking Christ I miss that man.

MetalIsArt
03-16-2014, 11:10 AM
I agree I have seen a slow down since I joined in 2010, but I'm not super worried about it; I think part of it, for me a least is with money being so tight I don't go to as many shows as I used to and when I do it is usually a band that has been touring around so there is no surprises for a set list.

I also think how diverse we are in terms of musical taste it can be hard to get discussion going for people who like some types of metal but not others. I joined the official Iron Maiden Boards for about a year and of course because the focus was Iron Maiden, discussions were focused on that which spawned long threads; here since our tastes are so diverse it can be hard to get a long focused thread going unless it "le gayness de Mayhem Fest" and really that can get old after a while

But like I said I'm not too worried; This is the only forum I go to anymore because I like the set-up, my fellow members for the most part are pretty cool and and I enjoy reading reviews, rants and other stuff. Besides nothing out of this world is happening in metal right now, you got your usual tours, new albums, people breaking up, etc.

2010?

I think it has started to get more quiet since last year.

rjturtle9
03-16-2014, 11:12 AM
I'll try to post more often. I know I'm greatly missed. ;)

MetalIsArt
03-16-2014, 11:12 AM
I'll try to post more often. I know I'm greatly missed. ;)

What makes you say that ;-)

DisposableJustice
03-16-2014, 11:14 AM
2010?

I think it has started to get more quiet since last year.

When I joined in 2010 I wasn't really a regular poster until early 2011...

MetalIsArt
03-16-2014, 11:16 AM
When I joined in 2010 I wasn't really a regular poster until early 2011...

So, you're the one that started all this!!! :hmm::hmm::mad:

DisposableJustice
03-16-2014, 11:26 AM
So, you're the one that started all this!!! :hmm::hmm::mad:

yes....

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/rsz_mr_burns_evil_7487.gif

MetalIsArt
03-16-2014, 12:29 PM
yes....

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/rsz_mr_burns_evil_7487.gif

http://i.imgur.com/IQhpz8i.gif

adamclark52
03-16-2014, 02:27 PM
I've actually really enjoyed the "Top 25" lists that have been popping up. The vidya games ones are great and WildandYoungs movie one was a riot.

John The Drummer
03-16-2014, 02:33 PM
^ This

I still visit here on my lunch breaks, but don't post very much. I've been trying to limit my internet use since over the last few months it has gotten a bit out of hand and I've been on so much that I have kind of forgotten about the real world.

kalfitegrdan
03-16-2014, 02:59 PM
I've actually really enjoyed the "Top 25" lists that have been popping up. The vidya games ones are great and WildandYoungs movie one was a riot.

Yeah, this.

As long as WildandYoung keeps making lists, there'll always be discussion here. :lol:

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Yeah, this.

As long as WildandYoung keeps making lists, there'll always be discussion here. :lol:

I am working on a Top 100 redo right now so don't worry :D

MPF
03-16-2014, 03:06 PM
I don't think this place is dying at all. Yes it's a lot slower since the days of 2009 when I joined but if anything I'd say the ones that are here now are a tight knit group with lots of different opinions and the same passion for Metal as there ever was.

That said, I am waiting for the Top 25, Top 25 Lists. That will be an epic thread for the ages. :lol:

adamclark52
03-16-2014, 03:16 PM
I don't think this place is dying at all. Yes it's a lot slower since the days of 2009 when I joined but if anything I'd say the ones that are here now are a tight knit group with lots of different opinions and the same passion for Metal as there ever was.

That said, I am waiting for the Top 25, Top 25 Lists. That will be an epic thread for the ages. :lol:

I cast my early vote for WildandYoungs first top 100 albums lists. That was epic beyond epic.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-16-2014, 03:29 PM

:lol:

Dextrimental
03-16-2014, 03:32 PM
I think it's just the way of things - we're going through a slower patch but it'll pick up again in a few months. I go to less gigs and I'm a lot busier these days so my contributions are minimal and usually just pointless opinions on things.

I mean, WildandYoung, though I give him a ragging, is still here and enjoying his time, so perhaps young blood is on it's way into the board again.

There's definitely enough of us regulars here posting enough to have some discussion. Wrestling and video games sub-sections are seeing some action, as well as the movies one. It's slower sure, but not so slow as to worry.

christopher
03-16-2014, 03:40 PM
I miss Sep and his long ass posts. I know he's going through a rough patch, but I hope he gets better and comes back on here soon.

John The Drummer
03-16-2014, 04:22 PM
the ones that are here now are a tight knit group

I agree! Plus, a lot of us have met each other in person from attending MDF, touring, etc etc. So we aren't ALL just a bunch of strangers who like to chit chat online about metal, we actually know each other and have been social IRL with each other.

JRA
03-16-2014, 04:48 PM
I've seen some dying forums in my day. This is not one of them.

Dextrimental
03-16-2014, 05:21 PM
I agree! Plus, a lot of us have met each other in person from attending MDF, touring, etc etc. So we aren't ALL just a bunch of strangers who like to chit chat online about metal, we actually know each other and have been social IRL with each other.

I like to think most of us regulars have managed to forge a community of sorts. I mean, it's not too personal, but we do know each other a bit more than just usernames on a forum and a general interest in music.

christopher
03-16-2014, 05:47 PM

You are correct. I used to be very active on the Hank III forum. I still check it regularly to see maybe one or two new posts a day on there. This place definitely is better than that. I'd like to see the overall statistics of how many posts per day we have now versus early 2012.

dcmetal108
03-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Reason enough for everyone to start posting properly again! ;)

Don't ever disagree with him though! It'll hurt his feelings!

ravenheart
03-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Agreed. I've seen forums end up having no posts in a month.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-16-2014, 05:49 PM

How about you just shut up, ever thought about that? :hmm:

christopher
03-16-2014, 05:55 PM

I think someone is being a negative Nancy over here. :tongue:

adamclark52
03-16-2014, 06:03 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaand another thread turns into a warzone...or as my HTC phone calls it "sardine".

El Gordo
03-16-2014, 06:21 PM

This.

Is it the busiest forum around? No, but I don't see why it needs to be. It's fairly active in comparison to some that I've seen.

Oh, and WildandYoung, stop letting dcmetal troll you -- he's fishing without any bait right now and you're still biting.

Natrlhi
03-16-2014, 07:39 PM
For what it's worth...

I agree with Josh that the forum is probably not dying, but personally I have been getting a much different vibe from the posts on here lately than I did when I was more active a few years ago. It's not as much fun. People's skin is thinner. There's too much butthurt and not enough healthy debate. I post less often because I'm much busier than I was a few years ago, and when I do, it seems nobody gives a fuck anymore. They'd much rather make quick posts about the latest little piece of drama than take the time to show their support of a like-minded idea or provide constructive feedback or healthy debate.

I guess it makes sense, though. People are doing this shit on their smartphones and tablets now instead of a laptop or desktop. Nobody has any time or attention span anymore - it's all about quick sound or video bites or the latest meme. Nobody takes the time to write anything thought-provoking anymore, and if they do, nobody has the time or attention span to read it.

At least, that's the way things have seemed to me lately. I could be wrong. It happens occasionally.

That, and all y'all fuckers forgot my birthday thread this year. Fuck the lot of you. :mad:

hellawaits77ny
03-16-2014, 07:41 PM
^^^^

Spot on, brother. People's ani get chapped way too easy nowadays.

illuminatus917
03-16-2014, 08:08 PM
I agree with Josh that the forum is probably not dying, but personally I have been getting a much different vibe from the posts on here lately than I did when I was more active a few years ago. It's not as much fun. People's skin is thinner. There's too much butthurt and not enough healthy debate. I post less often because I'm much busier than I was a few years ago, and when I do, it seems nobody gives a fuck anymore. They'd much rather make quick posts about the latest little piece of drama than take the time to show their support of a like-minded idea or provide constructive feedback or healthy debate.

I guess it makes sense, though. People are doing this shit on their smartphones and tablets now instead of a laptop or desktop. Nobody has any time or attention span anymore - it's all about quick sound or video bites or the latest meme. Nobody takes the time to write anything thought-provoking anymore, and if they do, nobody has the time or attention span to read it.

After reading through this thread, I was just getting ready to type out something to this effect. You more or less hit on all my thoughts, especially what's in bold.

I don't think it's the quantity of posts that's the issue, it's the quality of posts. Everything is so mundane now. I never come on here and see anything really interesting anymore. At some point the thought provoking conversations came to a halt, and it was sometime in 2012.

The Official MetalSetLists.Com Best Of 2011 Albums thread might have played some role in it. That's when I recall some of the dinosaur members talking about banning new members and rats bailing from sinking ships. But there were also good posters that started disappearing before that.

There were a brief couple of months when jd, loganarchy, Sepultura69 and idrinkwine were all active. I remember those being the best months of my stint here.

treghet
03-17-2014, 02:02 AM
And for a new person what does this site offer that setlists.fm doesnt have tenfold?

I was thinking about that too. A few years ago that site was pretty sparse, but it's become increasingly popular since then. I think a lot of people ended up finding this forum by searching Google for setlists (at least that's how I did), and there's no reason to do that anymore.

For what it's worth...

At least, that's the way things have seemed to me lately. I could be wrong. It happens occasionally.

That, and all y'all fuckers forgot my birthday thread this year. Fuck the lot of you. :mad:

I fully agree about the quality of posts. There was definitely a lot more genuine discussion a few years ago. I think problem was losing some of the members that were usually a big part of those discussions. Of course, it's normal for a forum to lose members, but we're not gaining enough new regulars here.

There were a brief couple of months when jd, loganarchy, Sepultura69 and idrinkwine were all active. I remember those being the best months of my stint here.

Those names are just a few of the big posters who aren't around as much or at all these days. As others have pointed out, this was never a large forum in the first place, but it has certainly shrunk over the last couple years. I have always liked the tight-knit community and the fact that there is a lot of diversity in music tastes here, but with the diminishing active posters there is not as much discussion brought to the table. With less people that share interests I get the feeling that a lot of members don't bother taking the time to make a thought out post because they don't think anybody will care to read or respond.

ravenheart
03-17-2014, 03:39 AM
It's not as much fun. People's skin is thinner. There's too much butthurt and not enough healthy debate. I post less often because I'm much busier than I was a few years ago, and when I do, it seems nobody gives a fuck anymore. They'd much rather make quick posts about the latest little piece of drama than take the time to show their support of a like-minded idea or provide constructive feedback or healthy debate.

Yep, this is basically it with regards to here specifically. My most recent example of this personally is the blues stuff. There are a bunch of people here who claim to be into blues (I've always had my doubts) and want more recommendations etc., yet when I offered to do a thread on blues recommendations/styles and so forth, only a couple of people showed any interest at all, and no one bothered joining in the thread. It's basically why I've not finished it.

Like you I'm sure, I don't care whether people are interested in what I have to say particularly, I've not tried to resurrect the thread myself in a hunt for approval or attention, it's there to be taken or left, but that thread is a fairly strong sign of everyone's attitude these days.

The phone/tablet, short-attention span stuff is also correct, but a wider symptom of modern society than here specifically.

ravenheart
03-17-2014, 03:43 AM
Also, well done a few people for finding more creative ways to say "people are pussies" ;)

MetalIsArt
03-17-2014, 03:44 AM
This place is the only forum I've been a member one that is cool, in the sense that there are no childish mods like, say, Cunt Lee on the Superherohype boards.

And I don't really need that much of new folks, tbh.

ravenheart
03-17-2014, 04:05 AM
Honestly, most forums on the internet are either properly dead, or suck so much ass you wish they were dead. A happy medium is fine.

JRA
03-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Allan
Hecho En Mexico
Overkiller
ADD
SirLardsALot
Bouville
SpiralSlave
SomewhereInTime72
ChildrenofSodom
DethMaiden
ECW

There's probably one or two people I'm forgetting (though I'm not counting the people from that time that I still see post here, like PowerMaiden and powerslave_85 and es_156), but this was the original class of Metalsetlists. And every single one of them are gone now. Frankly I thought the forum would cease to exist without all of the following people to contribute. It didn't. New people just showed up and established themselves. That doesn't usually happen. So in a sense this forum is like The Wall.

I'll say this for you "new" people. Be glad you weren't here during the summer of 2005.

smearCampaign
03-17-2014, 06:50 AM
What ever happened to our resident Russian?

ravenheart
03-17-2014, 07:24 AM

He's too busy writing about teenage problems.

Onioner
03-17-2014, 07:32 AM

I think he might have just grown out of metal or just gotten into other styles of music. It just happens at that age, you get super into something, get sick of it and move on to something else. I'd be willing to bet the same thing happened to wine, who is my age if I remember right. I'd be willing to bet that when he entered college he found other means of entertainment and things worthy of his attention that provided more personal fulfillment than metal and this forum.

Kids our age usually grow out of metal as they get older. slap, TonyD and I are the exceptions I think. I can't speak for those two, but I have a seriously addictive personality. If I like something, I explore it until I hit an unhealthy extreme. There's too much good metal out there that I haven't heard. Not to mention, this forum is really the only community where I can openly nerd out about this stuff and have a receptive and intelligent audience for my opinions. It's honestly really sucked meeting people at college that I thought I shared that with only to watch them grow out of this stuff and just not care about it anymore. Yeah the memes are kind of annoying and so is watching the wildyoung post as if he lives in hair metal neverland, but I still really value the opinions of the members here. hb420's album recommendations alone are enough to keep me coming back.

slapguitarer
03-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I think Lincoln still likes metal just fine but isn't as into it as he was like 3 years ago. Which is kinda funny because I used to joke with him "if you're 14-15 and already into this extreme stuff what're you gonna listen to wen you're my age?" Turns out instead of delving into noise like I thought, he'd just get really into indie music. :lol:

As for me, I just really like metal. In recent years I've been getting into other styles of music a lot more than I ever thought I would, but I'm still just as pumped for a new Cormorant record in 2014 as I was in high school in 2011

MetalIsArt
03-17-2014, 09:06 AM
I like metal/hardrock even more than I "started", and it's only since like a year or two that I have found my limits when it comes to listening to extreme stuff. That includes Napalm Death.

JRA
03-17-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm rather glad I didn't grow out of metal. I think I might have grown out of hip-hop though. :eyes:

MPF
03-17-2014, 09:43 AM
I've been into Metal since the 6th Grade, and I haven't grown out of it with 5 months and 2 days till my 26th birthday.

anomynous
03-17-2014, 09:55 AM
This forum is dead without Wolverinekills.

hot_turkey_ed
03-17-2014, 10:24 AM
I'd like to think that at least for the past few months the lack of setlists is due to the lack of good tours going on. But it does seem less busy than usual.

In terms of traffic, metalsetlists has been very consistent for a long time.

In terms of metal, what irritated trout said.

Onioner
03-17-2014, 10:25 AM
I've been into Metal since the 6th Grade, and I haven't grown out of it with 5 months and 2 days till my 26th birthday.

I was poor in my choice of words earlier. We're all the exceptions really, hell we spend time on a small sector of the Internet just to talk about metal with people as obsessed as us. I still think that most kids who are super into metal when they're young just kind of stop caring about it after a while though. I almost wish I was one of them, I'd probably be doing a lot better in college if that was the case haha.

ravenheart
03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
That's probably because "growing out" of things which aren't for children is actually a myth... you don't "grow out" of things, you just re-evaluate why you liked it and make a new decision on whether that's still true. Or you just find and start liking other things more and end up drifting away from the things you liked before.

It's funny how metal has this stigma attached to it that you're somehow more "adult" if you renounce it as you get older.

hot_turkey_ed
03-17-2014, 10:29 AM
One other little note:

metalsetlists will be approaching ten years online later this year.

ravenheart
03-17-2014, 10:33 AM
One other little note:

metalsetlists will be approaching ten years online later this year.

Does that make you feel old? ;)

hot_turkey_ed
03-17-2014, 10:42 AM

It is not just your money that was and is tight. A couple years prior to 2010 with the economy off and the price of gas soaring, it became very difficult for a lot of bands to tour. Consider how little bands receive from album sales. Things have changed. A few years ago, there were multiple metals show every week here in California. Now, you may be lucky to get one a month in some venues.

hot_turkey_ed
03-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Does that make you feel old? ;)

I feel experienced but not old. :cool:

Maideneer
03-17-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't know much about anything, but here's my little perspective.

I am very selective in the bands I like, and I would say at least 50% of the setlists that get posted are from bands I either don't know about or don't care about, therefore I don't comment on it because I have nothing to say. I don't know or care jack about Avenged Sevenfold or Tool or any local band or most newer bands or rap or Mastodon or straight up blast beat death metal, Origin, Alcest, The Ocean, punk, Slipknot, LoG, and a whole lot more! I have a hard time identifying with other people's interests 75% of the time here.

As far as posting my own setlists, I tried doing the whole "I'm posting live setlists as it happens" thing a few times, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in that, I just figured that was a fun unique gimmick that I was willing to put in the effort for now and then.

In other sections, I like the wrestling thread and an occasional general chat thing, but to my tastes, I don't find much that I can talk about in depth simply because a lot of newer bands/music/festivals/technology is passing me by, I haven't had the time to focus on a lot lately since I've been struggling financially and now am moving out of state soon.

In any event, I've had my problems here a few times and left in a huff and come back. I think I've finally found a place I'm happy with now where I check in occasionally and don't do much arguing, more observing, and I think that's served me well enough.

XDoomsayerX
03-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Ya I dont really listen to metal that much anymore. :eyes:

But I still dig this forum, I always find somewhere to post something haha

markrz
03-17-2014, 11:16 AM
I am very selective in the bands I like, and I would say at least 50% of the setlists that get posted are from bands I either don't know about or don't care about, therefore I don't comment on it because I have nothing to say.

I identify with this. For better or for worse (probably for worse) I have little interest in exploring or discovering new music to like. I'm getting a head start on being a crotchety old man, I guess. Also it took me about six tries to remember my password so I could make this post, ha.

Most of the talk here isn't for me - it's just not up my alley, no big deal - but I browse the boards several times a week and find the Misinformation forum and the "Upcoming Shows" thread useful.

DisposableJustice
03-17-2014, 11:42 AM
I don't know much about anything, but here's my little perspective.

I am very selective in the bands I like, and I would say at least 50% of the setlists that get posted are from bands I either don't know about or don't care about, therefore I don't comment on it because I have nothing to say. I don't know or care jack about Avenged Sevenfold or Tool or any local band or most newer bands or rap or Mastodon or straight up blast beat death metal, Origin, Alcest, The Ocean, punk, Slipknot, LoG, and a whole lot more! I have a hard time identifying with other people's interests 75% of the time here.

As far as posting my own setlists, I tried doing the whole "I'm posting live setlists as it happens" thing a few times, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in that, I just figured that was a fun unique gimmick that I was willing to put in the effort for now and then.

In other sections, I like the wrestling thread and an occasional general chat thing, but to my tastes, I don't find much that I can talk about in depth simply because a lot of newer bands/music/festivals/technology is passing me by, I haven't had the time to focus on a lot lately since I've been struggling financially and now am moving out of state soon.

In any event, I've had my problems here a few times and left in a huff and come back. I think I've finally found a place I'm happy with now where I check in occasionally and don't do much arguing, more observing, and I think that's served me well enough.

I agree with you, but mostly on being selective with bands; it's not that I'm not open to new music, I just enjoy seeing news, tours, and setlists from my favorite bands, and up until now there hasn't been much news on the bands I like

AnthG
03-17-2014, 11:45 AM
It's funny how metal has this stigma attached to it that you're somehow more "adult" if you renounce it as you get older.

Dude, it's not just metal. A lot of forms of music do. Punk rock is another one, rap and hip hop if you're a white person. Stuff like Backstreet Boys, NSync, Britney Spears, etc. had that stigma too in the late 90s when that shit was really popular, and now stuff like Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, etc. Same stigma or "expectation", just toward a different crowd. Plus other non-music stuff like video games, comic books, and pro wrestling all have the stigma of "When are you going to grow out of that stuff" attached to it (Despite the average video gamer age apparently being something like 35 and a majority of pro wrestling viewers at one point not too long ago falling between the ages of 18-35. I'll find actual sources on those at some point when i'm less lazy).

adamclark52
03-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Dude, it's not just metal. A lot of forms of music do. Punk rock is another one, rap and hip hop if you're a white person. Stuff like Backstreet Boys, NSync, Britney Spears, etc. had that stigma too in the late 90s when that shit was really popular, and now stuff like Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, etc. Same stigma or "expectation", just toward a different crowd. Plus other non-music stuff like video games, comic books, and pro wrestling all have the stigma of "When are you going to grow out of that stuff" attached to it (Despite the average video gamer age apparently being something like 35 and a majority of pro wrestling viewers at one point not too long ago falling between the ages of 18-35. I'll find actual sources on those at some point when i'm less lazy).

adamclark52, age 33, loves pro wrestling and is in the process of doing a top-25 video games thread.

elturtleboy
03-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Im sure the Russian still likes metal. I just noticed hes not here either anymore. Damn. Its ok to like other stuff. Im glad ppl are talking about other stuff on here too (Punk,Hip Hop,Country,Alternative,and the KPop manky likes).

illuminatus917
03-17-2014, 12:32 PM
With less people that share interests I get the feeling that a lot of members don't bother taking the time to make a thought out post because they don't think anybody will care to read or respond.

I know this to be true because I've consciously thought this myself. Whereas a few years ago I could write out some incoherent gibberish on some random subject and a conversation would spiral out of it, now it would go ignored.

When I stop posting here for however long, as I have frequently over the past year or so, I have to persuade myself to come back. There's never much to draw me in or retain my attention.

I fully agree about the quality of posts. There was definitely a lot more genuine discussion a few years ago. I think problem was losing some of the members that were usually a big part of those discussions. Of course, it's normal for a forum to lose members, but we're not gaining enough new regulars here.

I wish there was some way we could address this issue. I wouldn't mind the fact that old members aren't posting anymore if new members were coming along and contributing and establishing identities for themselves. I don't really care what kind of music they listen to. Jd liked a bunch of garbage if I remember right, as did brutal descent, but they were conversational and fun to have around.

I have personally asked a number of friends to start posting here. I've been trying for a long time. People whom would surely add some flare if nothing else. They just aren't interested though. Maybe if everyone on here tried this approach some could manage to yield results. Reaching out to people we know, or people that we suspect might be interested, might be our best chance at increasing membership. Or even people that post elsewhere. If anyone here posts on other boards, as I'm sure is the case, try herding some folks over here. Just (and this should go without saying) be selective and don't target people that would detract from what we have going on here.

Only a very, very small percentage of new members actually become regular contributors. If a new member actually knows someone who is a regular here, they may be more inclined to contribute and stick around. I remember when I joined I only did so because I was already acquainted with a few posters here from a board we'd previously posted on. That acquaintance was my incentive to come here in the first place. Perhaps the prospect of joining here and becoming a new member of this community is more daunting than we think.

hb420
03-17-2014, 12:54 PM
hb420's album recommendations alone are enough to keep me coming back.

This guys knows what he's talking about. ;) Joking aside thanks though glad some people really dig them. I hope to hopefully start again soon on that thread if I can find the time.

Seriously though I agree with everything Nat, treghet and illuminatus has been saying. This place was way more awesome in 2010 and 2011, when I first started posting here. Hopefully it is just a rough patch that can be overcome.

mankvill
03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Page one on the Setlists forum - oldest post is a week ago.
Page one on the Misinfo forum - oldest post is two days ago.
Every thread on page one of the Album Reviews page is from 2014, including a very active "2014" thread.
Dream Setlists (my choice for most underrated subforum) is all from 2014.
Page one of General Chat is all from within the last month, including the very active stickied threads. These also include the very active "Sports" and "Video Games" threads.

I think some of you people just need to look harder.

Just because there's not a Tom G. Warrior/Virtual Iron Maiden setlist/Best Of 2014 List doesn't mean this forum is dying. If you want to see more posts, then make more topics and post more. We like discussions (as evidenced by more than a few threads lately), so make some fucking discussion.

I don't even know where this talk on growing out of metal came from.

adamclark52
03-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Every thread on page one of the Album Reviews page is from 2014, including a very active "2014" thread.
Page one of General Chat is all from within the last month, including the very active stickied threads. These also include the very active "Sports" and "Video Games" threads.

Just because there's not a Tom G. Warrior/Virtual Iron Maiden setlist/Best Of 2014 List doesn't mean this forum is dying. If you want to see more posts, then make more topics and post more. We like discussions (as evidenced by more than a few threads lately), so make some fucking discussion.

I don't even know where this talk on growing out of metal came from.

He hit the nail on the head there.

DisposableJustice
03-17-2014, 02:03 PM
sightly off topic here but I'm curious to the parents or to be parents here: Are you planning on introducing them to the music you like or have them discover it on their own? I don't plan on being a parent for a while but if I have kids I won't force my musical tastes upon them but I won't lie at shows like Mayhem Festival I see whole families with young kids (with proper ear protection of course) come and rock out and I think it's awesome and a great bonding experience

Dextrimental
03-17-2014, 02:10 PM
sightly off topic here but I'm curious to the parents or to be parents here: Are you planning on introducing them to the music you like or have them discover it on their own? I don't plan on being a parent for a while but if I have kids I won't force my musical tastes upon them but I won't lie at shows like Mayhem Festival I see whole families with young kids (with proper ear protection of course) come and rock out and I think it's awesome and a great bonding experience

My nephew rejected 'my music'. Hes about to turn 14 and he listens to pop and what not. I'm not going to push it with him, my thing was always he has to be open-minded, but I don;t care what he himself likes.

My niece, whose about to turn 1 in May, better believe there's going to be some Queen on when I babysit :lol:

mankvill
03-17-2014, 02:12 PM

There are some people here who take their very young kid to shows and he's wearing giant-ass noise-cancelling headphones and they make him crowdsurf OVER and OVER and OVER (one time the Dad lost the kid and was frantically looking for him after he crowdsurfed, lol) and they make the kid hold up devil horns constantly. It's obvious the kid is way too young to know wtf is happening at all and I just think it's really cringeworthy.

Idk. If I have a kid, I won't make them listen to anything, but they'll hear my music growing up. Probably won't take them to a concert until they ask to actually go to one.

AnthG
03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Even the little stuff like seeing Iron Maiden or Metallica onesies kinda irks me a little. It was cute/cool sometimes but ultimately I think "what if my mom put me in a Bette Midler or Shania Twain onesie when I was a baby?"

elturtleboy
03-17-2014, 02:35 PM
I can honestly say EVVERY band Ive been into since I was young,im still into. All of em. From the Adicts,White Stripes,SOAD,Casualties,Bob Marley,Fueled By Fire,etc.

The only exception is most ska and Anti-Flag. Other than that I cant see someone growing out out of a genre of music they devoted their life too at one point(Punk/Metal and most of its sub genres for me). If you say you dont like a band you used to love cause its not cool anymore,then to me,thats a true poser.

mankvill
03-17-2014, 03:23 PM
I can honestly say EVVERY band Ive been into since I was young,im still into. All of em. From the Adicts,White Stripes,SOAD,Casualties,Bob Marley,Fueled By Fire,etc.

The only exception is most ska and Anti-Flag. Other than that I cant see someone growing out out of a genre of music they devoted their life too at one point(Punk/Metal and most of its sub genres for me). If you say you dont like a band you used to love cause its not cool anymore,then to me,thats a true poser.

UONKFQ92NYg

adamclark52
03-17-2014, 03:26 PM
I have a four year old and a two year old son and my wife forbids me from listening to my music around them. For one she's no fun. And my older son does have a bit of an aggression issue so the more extreme metal does cause him to rage out a bit. That said, I listen to it with them when she's not around. They seem not too phased by it most times. My oldest son likes Babymetal and Blow Your Trumpet, Gabriel by Behemoth. The baby is still too young.

My dad listened to the more "out there" stuff in the seventies, I listen to the more "out there" stuff of today. I'm sure my boys will grow up listening to Tue more extreme out there stuff of the 2020's and 2030's.

SomewhereInTime72
03-17-2014, 03:36 PM
...More on topic, I'll throw in my :2cents: as someone who used to be a frequent poster and is now an occasional/rare poster.

Personally, I have less time to spare to be here. When I joined these forums I was 15, and I had a crapload more of free internet time. Furthermore, my musical interests were more strictly metal, and my other hobbies/interests were quite diminished in comparison. I've become much broader since then.

It's been quite some time, and I spend way less time on the internet than I used to. That's just how life is really, as you get older from being a teenager even your social obligations and such become more time-demanding (that, or I've become leagues more popular :tongue:.)
Couple that with my broadened interests, and the share of internet time that I want to spend on a community meant for discussing metal - and the specifics of metal discussions here are less 1:1 with my own metal tastes (the 'original' cast of metalsetlists members were chock full of Iron Maiden forum expats - the diversification of members is certainly healthier for this board in the long-run, but personally it does lead to less discussions that I have relevant input for) - is naturally going to be diminished because now I also have more other things I want to be doing with the reduced time I still have (it's also worth noting how long this sentence is.)

Anyway, I figure a similar phenomenon happened to a lot of old posters, but I think what manks said is right. More discussions is really all that's needed, and in the grand scheme of things, metalsetlists is obviously not dying. I've been on dying forums. We may be approaching a bit of stagnation, but we're nowhere near starvation or death.

I'd say I'll help, but I'd probably be lying sorry. :eek:

dcmetal108
03-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Remember when I started and only loved / cared about deathcore, look how much I've changed guys! :D

Dextrimental
03-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Remember when I started and only loved / cared about deathcore, look how much I've changed guys! :D

Gotta say, this is one of the more open forums I've seen. I've encountered some bands from a lot of different styles thanks to recommendations on here.

Natrlhi
03-17-2014, 07:19 PM
The phone/tablet, short-attention span stuff is also correct, but a wider symptom of modern society than here specifically.Oh absolutely. I didn't mean it was just here.

That's probably because "growing out" of things which aren't for children is actually a myth... you don't "grow out" of things, you just re-evaluate why you liked it and make a new decision on whether that's still true. Or you just find and start liking other things more and end up drifting away from the things you liked before.

Amen, brother.

I look forward to going to shows with my oldest son in the next few years, but only if he wants to. I used to play some of my stuff around him, and my wife would just roll her eyes. :D He actually likes some metal, including Baroness. :fist:

mastodon421
03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
I don't know where the "I don't listen to metal as much" talk came from but I'll throw my two cents in on the matter. In the past few months, I've been exploring a lot of other genres more thoroughly. There's a lot of pop punk, alternative and indie stuff that I previously couldn't stand but upon revisiting them years later, I really dig them. While I've been experimenting with different types of music, I'm still very much into metal. Metal still is and will be forever be my favorite type of music as I love just about everything about the genre, I've just recently been trying to go a bit out of my wheelhouse and see what other genres have to offer so I'm not stuck in a metal-exclusive box with my musical choices.

RAZOR
03-17-2014, 08:24 PM
I've never really been all too active on here, but despite my limited posting I've managed to meet two of my best friends on here. :party: It has been a little slow on here lately but like someone said earlier, I think we just need discussion topics! Look how quick this thread grew just since yesterday!

...I still remember when I joined here everyone thought I was a dude for the longest time. :lol: :lol:

illuminatus917
03-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Hey RAZOR (or Slap), do you know if any other people from Metal Uprising have considered coming here? Are they familiar with MSL? I would like to see Bottle Tree start posting here... I remember her being pretty cool.

slapguitarer
03-17-2014, 09:36 PM
I've tried. A couple of people started posting here in like 2012 but stopped promptly. I think one of them posts here under the name Chalupa_666 but last time he did he just trolled. A couple of other dudes, TiradesOfTruth & TheNobleFaceHumper, also post here a bit. I tried getting one of my own friends to join, and he only posted like 10 times.

Metal Uprising is its own animal now-a-days. It's just a cesspool of dumb inside jokes. At least 40% of the forum doesn't even listen to any metal or discuss music at all. And for some reason those who do like to discuss music don't want to bother coming over here, even though I've talked about this forum. Oh well.

elturtleboy
03-17-2014, 10:22 PM

nah you still gay

dcmetal108
03-17-2014, 10:24 PM
nah you still gay

</3

MetalIsArt
03-18-2014, 05:31 AM
I hate people who all of a sudden stop listening to metal because they think are too old or found "new friendz" or whatever.

Once, a friend was over at my place & saw an Aardschok Magazine. He picked it up and smirked, "isn't that just a phase you go through? I listened to metal when I was 16". He was 30 then...

ravenheart
03-18-2014, 05:44 AM
I hate people who all of a sudden stop listening to metal because they think are too old or found "new friendz" or whatever.

Once, a friend was over at my place & saw an Aardschok Magazine. He picked it up and smirked, "isn't that just a phase you go through? I listened to metal when I was 16". He was 30 then...

Yeah, I've had people say similar things. The correct response is:

"Why don't you listen to it now?"

To which they will undoubtedly reply "I grew up."

Opening the door for "... and became a pussy?"

;)

infinitydeth
03-18-2014, 05:47 AM
nah you still gay

:LOLFC:

JRA
03-18-2014, 06:14 AM
I've never really been all too active on here, but despite my limited posting I've managed to meet two of my best friends on here. :party: It has been a little slow on here lately but like someone said earlier, I think we just need discussion topics! Look how quick this thread grew just since yesterday!

...I still remember when I joined here everyone thought I was a dude for the longest time. :lol: :lol:

I remember that too. I also remember thinking RAMON should have come after your name (after Scott Hall), but then after I found out you were a girl, I decided you should be called RAZOR RAMONA.

Natrlhi
03-18-2014, 08:05 AM
Even the little stuff like seeing Iron Maiden or Metallica onesies kinda irks me a little. It was cute/cool sometimes but ultimately I think "what if my mom put me in a Bette Midler or Shania Twain onesie when I was a baby?"I didn't know they made Bette Midler onesies. I am deeply disturbed at that.

markrz
03-18-2014, 08:07 AM
. It's just a cesspool of dumb inside jokes.

I've seen this happen to a few forums to the point where I wonder if it's like an inevitable law of forums. They can hold on to vitality for so long and then this entropy sets in. Once it gets a foothold, there's no going back, because it slams the door on new users integrating.

slapguitarer
03-18-2014, 08:14 AM
I've seen this happen to a few forums to the point where I wonder if it's like an inevitable law of forums. They can hold on to vitality for so long and then this entropy sets in. Once it gets a foothold, there's no going back, because it slams the door on new users integrating.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. Personally it's still fun for me as just a place to shoot the shit but anytime new users try to join they don't last a day

AnthG
03-18-2014, 10:05 AM
I didn't know they made Bette Midler onesies. I am deeply disturbed at that.

They don't (at least I don't think...). It was just an example.

Natrlhi
03-18-2014, 10:27 AM
They don't (at least I don't think...). It was just an example.:lol: I was playing dumb to go along with the joke you were making.

illuminatus917
03-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Metal Uprising is its own animal now-a-days. It's just a cesspool of dumb inside jokes. At least 40% of the forum doesn't even listen to any metal or discuss music at all. And for some reason those who do like to discuss music don't want to bother coming over here, even though I've talked about this forum. Oh well.

Ah. Very well then. As one character said to another character in a show I used to watch, "the beauty is in the attempt."

Bingo. This forum has managed to retain a healthy balance of esotericism (which I felt when I first joined, and still feel to some degree, though it has diminished with the departures of some of the dinosaur members) and openness, and that balance is vital to sustaining the life force of this forum or any forum. There needs to be some degree of esotericism amongst active users, but not so much so that it dissuades potential new users from becoming active.

I don't think it's esotericism at this point that is dissuading new potential members. It's something else. Maybe just a period of stagnation that can't be attributed to anything.

treghet
03-19-2014, 01:40 AM

Yes, there is still a good amount of activity here. My intention of making this thread was not to say this place is going to dry up by the end of the year, but to point out there has been slowdown taking place over the last couple years that could eventually lead to this place dying. As I said in my original post, we've only had four new members since the beginning of the year. Compare that to ten or more per a month in 2011. Then consider how many new members have become regular posters in the last couple years versus how many have left or are not as active these days. The fact is we need fresh blood to keep this place going, and for whatever reason this place doesn't seem as attractive to guests as it did a couple years ago.

I wish there was some way we could address this issue. I wouldn't mind the fact that old members aren't posting anymore if new members were coming along and contributing and establishing identities for themselves. I don't really care what kind of music they listen to. Jd liked a bunch of garbage if I remember right, as did brutal descent, but they were conversational and fun to have around.

I have personally asked a number of friends to start posting here. I've been trying for a long time. People whom would surely add some flare if nothing else. They just aren't interested though. Maybe if everyone on here tried this approach some could manage to yield results. Reaching out to people we know, or people that we suspect might be interested, might be our best chance at increasing membership. Or even people that post elsewhere. If anyone here posts on other boards, as I'm sure is the case, try herding some folks over here. Just (and this should go without saying) be selective and don't target people that would detract from what we have going on here.

Only a very, very small percentage of new members actually become regular contributors. If a new member actually knows someone who is a regular here, they may be more inclined to contribute and stick around. I remember when I joined I only did so because I was already acquainted with a few posters here from a board we'd previously posted on. That acquaintance was my incentive to come here in the first place. Perhaps the prospect of joining here and becoming a new member of this community is more daunting than we think.

You've summed up my thoughts nicely with this post. I've actually tried to get a couple of my friends to post here as well, although without success. Perhaps other people would have better luck. And I do think that the fact that this is a tight-knit community could deter some folks who don't know other members from becoming active posters. It could feel more difficult for them to assimilate with this place than on a large forum where few people actually know each other.

christopher
03-19-2014, 01:54 AM
I've tried to start a lot of conversation about what I'm super passionate about but no one seems to be very responsive. I'm all about country/bluegrass/folk that is played with an attitude by punks. I feel like some people here would be down, but no one cares to respond to me. :(

dcmetal108
03-19-2014, 04:50 AM
I've tried to start a lot of conversation about what I'm super passionate about but no one seems to be very responsive. I'm all about country/bluegrass/folk that is played with an attitude by punks. I feel like some people here would be down, but no one cares to respond to me. :(

I will :)

Datjazzfusion
03-19-2014, 08:02 AM

I do not comment much but that Jayke Orvis record from last year (that you posted on the end of your year list) was pretty tight. You unearthed that for me to discover... if that makes you feel better.

XDoomsayerX
03-19-2014, 11:24 AM

Quite a unique acquired taste there bro. Ive never heard of the bands on your concert to attend list aside from Goddamn which ya showed me lol and Gorilla Biscuits.

christopher
03-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better. I'll get a list together soon after my finals are over this week.

DementedX14
03-19-2014, 05:31 PM

This.

hot_turkey_ed
03-20-2014, 01:54 PM

This.

Truth of the matter... no one on this site (myself included with a role exception of paying the bills .. i know, details...) is irreplaceable, indispensable, etc.

Traffic on the site remains near its all high in terms of page views, daily logins, etc. People come, people go... the site moves on.

The number one concern I have about metal in general is the state of the business... technology has done wonders for music but it has harmed as well.

Blabbermouth (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/machine-heads-robb-flynn-the-music-business-has-sucked-the-life-out-of-creativity/) posted a post from Robb Flynn of Machinehead a couple days back. They reprinted a blog post of his. I'm going to re-post it here.

"I'm in a shitty mood.

"Not for the story I'm about to tell, but because of my thoughts afterward.

"I went out to San Francisco for my buddy Joe's birthday shenanigans. We went out for Moroccan food at a joint called El Mansour. The place had a great vibe, belly dancing, sword balancing, and amazing food! The lamb in particular was to-freakin'-die-for, slow roasted and covered in honey and cinnamon.

"On the way out there, Joe's buddy Tony picked me up from JingleTown [studio], since I didn't want to drive as I knew I'd be drinking. On the hour-long trip out (Saturday traffic to San Francisco), he was telling me some pretty awesome stories about growing up in the ''70s. You see, Tony was a teenager in 1975, and used to go the famous San Francisco venue Winterland. Winterland was before my time, but being part of the scene you heard the legend, the stories and the history.

"Tony is a big BLACK SABBATH fan, saw them back in '75 on the 'Sabotage' tour and said it was a life-changing experience. Him and his buddies used to go to Winterland, load up on LSD, cigarettes, and weed, and go watch pretty much the cream of the crop of classic rock bands. TED NUGENT, SABBATH, DEEP PURPLE, JOURNEY, MONTROSE, you name it, he went and saw it. The shows would start and if people loved the opening band (essentially cheering non-stop) they'd get to do encores. He was telling me about a show JOURNEY (the opener!), killed it, and they got 4 encores, the support band got 4 encores! Then the headliner, MONTROSE, got 5 ENCORES! MONTROSE didn't stop playing until 2:30 in the morning, everyone stayed, no one would even dare consider leaving and people experienced some of the best music of their lives.

"An opener getting encores, crazy…

"And the venue allowed things like this to happen. The venue just kept the bands rolling.

"Not only that, but all of the shows at Winterland were $4.50.

"4 dollars and 50 cents…..18 freakin' quarters!

"Wow…?!?

"All I could think of was 'what an amazing time for music.'

"People wonder why the 'classic rock' bands were so good. They were playing by their own rules, and they had a culture of venues and people around that were as crazy and fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants as the bands themselves. The promoters around that time did anything to make the bands happy and if it meant playing all goddamn night? Let 'em!

"I tell you right now, though, there isn't a band out there who would play til 2:30 a.m. nowadays, let alone find a major venue that would even ALLOW such a thing.

"I remember when I first started going to /playing thrash shows, it was a very similar thing. It was no rules, no security, no safety, no curfews, and for the most part anything went!
Venues these days are mostly run with union workers. In most major cities, you have to take breaks during the day, where a band can't even sound check for an hour because the union workers need a 'break.' Nowadays if you play 1 minute past 11 p.m. at any of the large union venues, it costs the band $1,000 dollars a minute. When we were out with METALLICA playing arenas they regularly play 20 minutes past 11:00 p.m., and they regularly paid $20,000 to do so.

"I went and saw PEARL JAM about a month ago, and they played one of the best, most truly rock 'n' roll shows I've seen in eons. It was fucking magical, Eddie Vedder drank 3 bottles of wine, and about 2 hours into the set, he started getting a little sloppy, forgetting lyrics, missing cues, it looked like it was about to fall off the rails. The band then they took a quick break and he came back and played 'Black'.

"Let me tell you, it was magic! I'm getting goose bumps writing this, just remembering it. It was such a turn-around; it totally took the night to an even higher level. At this point they were already 45 minutes past 11. They played several more songs and eventually the Oakland Arena (currently called the Oracle Arena, until some different stupid corporate sponsor buys it and changes it to something ridiculous like Florida's 1-800-Ask Gary Amphitheater) turned on the house lights, signaling them to stop. PEARL JAM said 'fuck you!' and played 2 more songs with the house lights on! Eddie Vedder then brought the band back out onstage to do an extra-long goodbye to the crowd. I love their fucking attitude.

"In the end, they played 70 minutes over 'curfew' and I'd imagine left Oakland about $70,000 dollars lighter to do so. Of course PEARL JAM can afford it, and frankly it gave every single person there one of the best shows of their life. But this gesture to keep the 'room' in a good mood in conjunction with the Winterland conversation, it got me thinking.

"Shit has changed.

"On the one hand, I love PEARL JAM's 'fuck you, were doing it our way' attitude, and on the other hand, it angered and depressed me.

"Only the METALLICAs and PEARL JAMs can pull things like this. Bands that have sold millions of records, and they can afford it.

"If MACHINE HEAD tried playing an hour over curfew at say, the House Of Blues in Dallas, Texas, we'd be walking out of there with our entire guarantee eaten up. Even if the fans wanted it, some venue would do their best to shut it down, cut power, close curtain, whatever.

"The music business has sucked the life out of creativity. No one is encouraged to take risks, no one is encouraged to push the envelope, because it's all about first-week sales! It's about pointless radio play and how good your last tour went. How venues and promoters are squeezing the last drop of spontaneity out of your soul by not 'allowing' you to playing past curfew and not drawing outside the line.

"When we play that game, we essentially applaud mediocrity.

"There's nothing dangerous about music these days, there's nothing surprising about it either. There can't be. Other than PEARL JAM, the only 'band' that doesn't seem to really give a flying fuck and plays by their own rules isn't really a band at all, are they? Axl and the ROSES are known for bending the rules and telling the powers that be to 'fuck off,' but because their band is so confusing they come across as a joke. But people don't see this. People don't see any of this!

"And the reason you don't care is because it's too easy to get sucked into your phone, or your Facebook, or your Twitter, or your Tumblr, or your Instagram, or your games, or your TV shows.

"Music isn't important anymore. Say it is all you want, but the fact is, the 2 biggest rock records of last year only sold 400,000 copies, neither even went gold.

"Music is in the background of a game. Why go to a show when you can watch clips of it on YouTube and bitch about how it stinks live?

"And you know what, I miss music being important! I miss live shows being important. I miss feeling a part of something that was so high on my list I'd crawl through broken glass to get it.

"All this technology we have now that's supposed to make us 'connected?' It's making me feel more fucking disconnected than ever. I mean watching all the things that other people are doing that I'm not invited to or even a apart of? And yet at the same time completely disgusted by faux-self-importance it has given everyone, (here's my dog or cat for the millionth time, here's a selfie for the millionth time, here's my kids for the millionth time, here' the food I'm eating for the millionth time, here's what I'm doing and you're not). Don't you wish you were eating what I'm eating?

"Fuck you!

I've thought of tweeting or Facebooking something so many time and just went, 'who cares', why should anyone care about this, and you SHOULDN'T care.

"You're all my 'friends,' you've all 'liked' me, but really, you're not my friends, because we don't know each other. You took a photo of me, or you interviewed me, or we talked after a show. And after you get past the initial coolness, of re-connecting with someone from high school on Facebook or Twitter, you realize you truly have drifted apart.

"And fuckin' A, I'm glad we did.

"I don't want to be 'friends' with everyone; I don't want to be 'liked' by everyone. I want to feel connected to something. And nothing I look at in the music business does that. I don't get radio bands; I don't get any of these fucking 'scene bands.' I don't get bands singing about how great being American is, as if the geographic location you were born, (and had zero control over in any way shape or form), somehow makes us better than any other geographical place of birth!?

"I don't get why people don't want to see live music anymore, I don't get it. Did you see the clip of Hetfield talking about how America needs to start 'wanting' music again? This is James 'Fucking' Hetfield talking, people! Didn't those words do anything to anyone? Didn't what he said make you feel a bit disgusted? I'm a METALLICA fan and those words being spoken kind of stung a bit.

"You can bitch all you want that MACHINE HEAD only does festival tours and only plays for 30 minutes, but all those bands (including us) that play festival tours, can't draw squat when were not on festival tours. And even the big metal festivals are having troubles. Maybe the days of bands touring is coming to an end? Bands didn't always tour, you know, Mozart didn't hit the road for a year or 2 back in the day. Touring is really a phenomenon of the last 60 years or so. People didn't always buy records, or CDs, or files, or streams, that's also a phenomenon of the last 60 or 70 years.

"I don't get the political fucking correctness of music anymore.

"I don't get the narrow-mindedness of the world anymore.

"I don't get people asking me every week to try and write 'more like 'Burn My Eyes', please.'

"I don't get religious nutjobs who think that when they die they're going to 72 virgins when they get to heaven. ('You're guaranteed to get some pussy in the afterlife, boys,' so obviously written by a man!)

"I don't get religious fucking nutjobs who think that Jesus is coming back soon, wearing a white, blood-stained robe (stained with the blood of his enemies…whoever those are) and will be carrying a sword, and by 'sword,' the bible meant an AR-15!

"What did Napoleon say? 'Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.'

"I don't get why we need to hear 'America The Beautiful' and 'thank a soldier' in a TV commercial, 22 and 14 times respectively during the Superbowl.

"I don't fucking get it.

"You don't care about music, and I don't care about music, and I sit here wondering if this feeling is a result of the business itself, or is the business a result of our own apathy towards music.

I feel lost.

"I feel alone.

"Something has to change.

"Someone has to stir the pot.

"Something needs to come along and wake us up out of the slumber."

I'm not concerned about metalsetlists at all. I'm concerned about metal.

Natrlhi
03-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Wow. That was...quite a lot of spewage. :eyes:

He started off making some good points, but then he went completely off his original topic and lost me with a bunch of random observations that, while a few of them may be true, don't have anything to do with his original point and come dangerously close to making him a hypocrite for slamming self-importance but then getting up on his soapbox and ranting about random ideas and expecting the audience to eat up every word.

Anyhow, I will say this - he's got a point about things being much more restricted nowadays than they used to be. Hell, I get teased for being old around here (although my body isn't really that old, and hopefully my attitude is even younger), but I still remember going to shows that cost six or eight or ten bucks at the most, and went into the wee hours of the night, and people drank and got high and went crazy and stage dived and moshed and security did very little about it. I fucking loved those days.

But then things changed - but not just with metal...with the world itself - and especially in the USA. People in general started getting so uptight about their own rights getting trampled on and wanting everyone to be treated like kings and queens without having to work for anything, and before we know it, everything sucks. People are more selfish and defensive and less free and open - more inclined to screw the other guy "as long as I get mine" and less inclined to help somebody out without expecting anything in return.

The question is, what do we do about it? Do we get on Facebook and whine, and hope that will change the world? Do we treat each other like shit because we're pissed off at a few details?

I say, accept the things we cannot change, and enjoy what freedoms we do have while we still have them. I mean, the big injustices in the world need to be fought against - but times changing and shit getting more expensive and freedoms being limited in the name of safety are all realities that, while inconvenient and perhaps unnecessary, aren't going to change because we sit around bitching about it through our phones and tablets (another point he made that I agree with, and have recently posted about elsewhere on this forum).

My point is simply that I choose to try my best to focus on what's positive and good, and enhance that as much as I can. If I love a certain band or song or album, I blather on and on about it, and try to get my friends to go to shows with me to experience it live. If I like a good movie or restaurant, I tell somebody about it and invite them to try it, too. If I do something else that's fun, I try to tell others about it in the hopes that they can enjoy it, too.

Life is too short to spend time whining about fucking details - especially the ones we can't control. Times change. People change. Rage about it if you want to, preach about it if you want to, and let me know how that works out for you, Robb. In the meantime, I'll be out there trying to suck the marrow out of life while I have the chance, and teaching my kids to do the same.

If we all do that, then I think metal will be just fine. It'll change, but it'll live on - and that's just fine with me.

mankvill
03-20-2014, 03:47 PM
So I guess I'm lumping Rob Flynn into the "thinks "metal" is just super popular old bands" group

illuminatus917
03-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Everyone moans there is no money in the music industry. There is less money to reinvest in new artists, there is less risk-taking for new music, less money for artists’ creativity and intellectual property, sales are the be-all and end-all, etc.

The state of live music is in decline, in this country at least, and I don't see how anyone can deny that. If that's your thing, it's not going to have a happy ending.

The state of recorded music is better now than it's ever been before. And most of it is being recorded by guys who work full-time jobs, who understand that producing music without the limiting effects of coercive institutions is the only way to realize true creativity, and that with that sacrifice, unfortunately, comes the consequence of earning a smaller pay check (if any). If you're in a band like Machine Head, tough. Reevaluate your circumstances if creativity is that important to you. If you believe the music business is Grendel, distance yourself from it.

I think metal is doing just fine. Maybe the live aspect in the United States isn't, and maybe it's not the money maker some artists want it to be. But the music itself is.

El Gordo
03-20-2014, 05:17 PM
"Bands didn't always tour, you know, Mozart didn't hit the road for a year or 2 back in the day."

Actually Robb, he did.

While there are some valid points to what Mr. Flynn wrote, he comes off as a whiny, self-important douche.

DisposableJustice
03-20-2014, 05:48 PM
I also agree Robb makes some good points, but in the end Robb can only really control what he does and what Machine Head does

If Machine Head puts in the effort and makes a great album, fans will welcome with open arms for live shows, and from what I have heard or seen on Youtube they are killer live

But whining about it in the end will solve nothing because everything outside of him and Machine Head is uncontrollable, instead he could focus more on rolling with the punches and coming up with creative and solid ways to promote MH

anomynous
03-20-2014, 10:41 PM
I was being sarcastic about Wolverine :eyes:

SirLardsAlot
03-20-2014, 11:32 PM
...More on topic, I'll throw in my :2cents: as someone who used to be a frequent poster and is now an occasional/rare poster.

Personally, I have less time to spare to be here. When I joined these forums I was 15, and I had a crapload more of free internet time. Furthermore, my musical interests were more strictly metal, and my other hobbies/interests were quite diminished in comparison. I've become much broader since then.

It's been quite some time, and I spend way less time on the internet than I used to. That's just how life is really, as you get older from being a teenager even your social obligations and such become more time-demanding (that, or I've become leagues more popular :tongue:.)
Couple that with my broadened interests, and the share of internet time that I want to spend on a community meant for discussing metal - and the specifics of metal discussions here are less 1:1 with my own metal tastes (the 'original' cast of metalsetlists members were chock full of Iron Maiden forum expats - the diversification of members is certainly healthier for this board in the long-run, but personally it does lead to less discussions that I have relevant input for) - is naturally going to be diminished because now I also have more other things I want to be doing with the reduced time I still have (it's also worth noting how long this sentence is.)

Anyway, I figure a similar phenomenon happened to a lot of old posters, but I think what manks said is right. More discussions is really all that's needed, and in the grand scheme of things, metalsetlists is obviously not dying. I've been on dying forums. We may be approaching a bit of stagnation, but we're nowhere near starvation or death.

I'd say I'll help, but I'd probably be lying sorry. :eek:

This. I was 17 when these boards opened and I joined. All I did after school was read this forum and the IMBB, and crank music. That was 9 years ago. I hop on here like once a week to check the News section for a few minutes and that's it. I don't really give much time to music any more, nothing new at least, just my same old collection. 95% of the people that were regulars on this board/IMBB when I was very active back then don't post here anymore, and the new guys are typically younger. They have different music tastes, different interests in general, I have no connection with any of them.

Anywho, BLAZE IS THE MESSIAH :blaze::blaze::blaze::blaze:

SirLardsAlot
03-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Allan
Hecho En Mexico
Overkiller
ADD
SirLardsALot
Bouville
SpiralSlave
SomewhereInTime72
ChildrenofSodom
DethMaiden
ECW

There's probably one or two people I'm forgetting (though I'm not counting the people from that time that I still see post here, like PowerMaiden and powerslave_85 and es_156), but this was the original class of Metalsetlists. And every single one of them are gone now. Frankly I thought the forum would cease to exist without all of the following people to contribute. It didn't. New people just showed up and established themselves. That doesn't usually happen. So in a sense this forum is like The Wall.

I'll say this for you "new" people. Be glad you weren't here during the summer of 2005.

Love you!

hot_turkey_ed
03-21-2014, 01:23 AM
TAnywho, BLAZE IS THE MESSIAH :blaze::blaze::blaze::blaze:

http://hardmusicbase.cz/pics/interpret/5/0/8/508.jpg

For those in the land of WTF: Read here to avoid the Lake Of Fire (https://www.google.com/search?q=metalsetlists+blaze+is+the+messiah+site:w ww.metalsetlists.com&client=safari&rls=en)

MetalIsArt
03-21-2014, 06:26 AM

For those in the land of WTF: Read here to avoid the Lake Of Fire (https://www.google.com/search?q=metalsetlists+blaze+is+the+messiah+site:w ww.metalsetlists.com&client=safari&rls=en)

He's running free, yeah?

Maideneer
03-21-2014, 06:31 AM

Hnnnnnn. Don't you think I'm a savior?

JRA
03-21-2014, 06:31 AM
Love you!

:fist:

If you don't have the free time, that's understandable, but just because most here are younger doesn't mean you can't derive some entertainment out of them.

JRA
03-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Something else that occurred to me just now.

I remember my first few months here Maideneer was a poster, but he didn't seem regular because he kind of drifted in and out before disappearing altogether for years. Now he's a regular poster.

christopher
04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I will :)

Should I put it the the album reviews thread or the general chat? I'm mostly just reviewing bands, not necessarily their albums.

Maideneer
04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Something else that occurred to me just now.

I remember my first few months here Maideneer was a poster, but he didn't seem regular because he kind of drifted in and out before disappearing altogether for years. Now he's a regular poster.

I was also wildly immature. Wait that hasn't changed.

powerslave_85
04-02-2014, 07:47 PM
I've pretty much got one foot out the door, honestly. I'm losing interest in metal in general and I just don't have a whole lot to contribute anymore.

Natrlhi
04-03-2014, 08:02 AM
I've pretty much got one foot out the door, honestly. I'm losing interest in metal in general and I just don't have a whole lot to contribute anymore.Sad to hear. Hope it's not true. Also, this:

This forum needs MORE frequent posters who don't have their heads up their own asses, not less.

...and for what it's worth, even though I consider myself a serious metal fan, I did take a detour for about ten years into a lot of other music before getting back into metal in a big way in the early to mid 2000's. When I hit college, I started listening to all kinds of stuff like rap, alternative-progressive, grunge, industrial, electronic, etc. and then when I lived in the Chicago area I listened to a lot of adult alternative and stuff like that. It wasn't until I returned to Cleveland and a few years later a dude gave me a hard drive full of everything from the genres stated above to world / classical / jazz - and of course a whole shitload of metal - that I came full circle back to the genre that I'd loved in my teens and early twenties.

tl;dr - I was a kid, then I "grew up" for a while, and now I'm a kid again and I'm loving every minute of it. :D

The same thing might happen to you - you never know. ;)

ravenheart
04-03-2014, 08:17 AM
I've pretty much got one foot out the door, honestly. I'm losing interest in metal in general and I just don't have a whole lot to contribute anymore.

:(

It's not something I particularly understand personally, but nevertheless, a shame if it really does translate into leaving.

SomewhereInTime72
04-05-2014, 11:56 PM
and I just don't have a whole lot to contribute anymore.

Yeah, I know that feeling. :(

My interest in metal hasn't waned in many ways. But I am less ...actively interested in metal. Don't actively check out new things as often as I used to, don't rabidly gobble up concerts like I used to etc. though my actual amount of listening to metal probably is around the same as it's been since I was 16 and embracing that I liked other genres of music as well.

I'm not trying to leave this place, but feeling like I don't have much to say when I'm here is a bit unfortunate and doesn't motivate me to spend as much time here. I hope you don't leave though, cuz it's nice to see familiar old faces posting when I'm here. :tongue:

TonyD
04-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Internet forums may be going the way of the dodo thanks to Reddit, which isn't a terrible thing.

...should we make a subreddit?

dcmetal108
04-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Internet forums may be going the way of the dodo thanks to Reddit, which isn't a terrible thing.

no we have enough memes as it is

hot_turkey_ed
04-07-2014, 10:37 AM

A fact that has been largely lost to our history... one of the reasons I created metalsetlists in the first place: another site (Iron Maiden's IMBB) changed their software and a lot of people lost reviews / thread / data / whatever.

Not everything has to become Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. What happens if those companies start to do things that users hate or go out of business? metalsetlists has already survived the extinction of internet behemoths. No doubt we'll survive more.

El Gordo
04-07-2014, 11:42 AM
A fact that has been largely lost to our history... one of the reasons I created metalsetlists in the first place: another site (Iron Maiden's IMBB) changed their software and a lot of people lost reviews / thread / data / whatever.

Not everything has to become Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. What happens if those companies start to do things that users hate or go out of business? metalsetlists has already survived the extinction of internet behemoths. No doubt we'll survive more.

I'm glad to see you say this. Another of my favourite metal sites shut their forums down earlier this year in favour of Facebook groups and Disqus comments on their reviews & articles. There's nothing really wrong with doing that, but I've always liked dedicated forums for this kind of thing.

ravenheart
04-07-2014, 01:54 PM

I don't really know what reddit even is... :eyes:

Natrlhi
04-08-2014, 06:58 AM
I don't really know what reddit even is... :eyes:Me neither. We must be old.

TheWildAndTheYoung
04-08-2014, 07:03 AM
Me neither. We must be old.

Not necessarily, because I don't have the slightest idea as to what it is either.

Sanitarium78
04-08-2014, 07:06 AM
The only thing I know about Reddit is that one of my co-workers frequents the page. Sometimes I'll mention something to him and he'll say "Oh yeah, I saw that on reddit". I'm not sure what the page is but I guess they have a lot of news related items from all over the world.

ravenheart
04-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Yes, I've just always assumed it's a site which trawls news from everywhere else and collects it in one place. Kind of like a universal RSS feed. I'm only basing that on the name though, and the fact that everyone on the internet is lazy, so I can see how that would appeal.

dcmetal108
04-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Yes, I've just always assumed it's a site which trawls news from everywhere else and collects it in one place. Kind of like a universal RSS feed. I'm only basing that on the name though, and the fact that everyone on the internet is lazy, so I can see how that would appeal.

Its like a forum with no structure lol

hot_turkey_ed
04-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Thread has run its course .. it is time for its slow death. ;)