PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Frost: Help Me Decide

adamclark52
03-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm going to buy an older Celtic Frost album. I can't decide which one: To Mega Therion or Into the Pandemonium. They're at two different stores that are in different areas of town so I can't get both. I've heard (and love) Monotheist and the Triptykon album but I know earlier Celtic Frost is different. Which will give me a better first impression of their older stuff? Production and mixing are pretty important, but songs and flow are more-so.

Before you say "why don't you just stream them and decide for yourself", I don't have the time to do that between now and when I'll be in the area of the stores. And I prefer getting a hard copy and discovering it that way. But I don't want one that may turn me off them while the other may not.

So which do you recommend and why?

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
03-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Both great albums, but if you want the more "metal" of the two, you have to go with To Mega Therion. Tom went a new direction with Into the Pandemonium. Starting with the cover of Wall of Voodoo's Mexican Radio. It's just totally different album than what had come before. I could go track by track but suffice to say, it's an album that might take more than a few listens to get into.

ravenheart
03-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Coming at Celtic Frost from Montheist, I find all of their old stuff very difficult to get into.

What I wouldn't give for an album of old songs re-recorded with the Monotheist sound. Or just a top-drawer live album from the Monotheist tour.

Natrlhi
03-04-2014, 06:58 AM
If you liked the Monotheist and Triptykon albums, I'd almost recommend "Morbid Tales" before either of the other two.

However, given a choice between "To Mega Therion" and "Into the Pandemonium", I would recommend the former to someone just getting into Celtic Frost, primarily because the latter is a bit more experimental. For example, the opening track is a cover of a Wall of Voodoo song, and another track, "One in Their Pride", is almost a rap song. It's a good album, but it's better absorbed after one listens to the more classic and straightforward material on "To Mega Therion", I think - most folks consider that to be one of Celtic Frost's best albums.

:2cents:

adamclark52
03-04-2014, 07:23 AM
I was worried about a song called Mexican Radio. I don't even know who Wall of Voodoo are but that title just doesn't sit well with me. I thought it was a serious album and starting an album with a song with that title just confuses me. It seems to me like throwing a cover of Sugar, Sugar in the middle of Monotheist but maybe I'm totally wrong and it's an ironic title for the br00talist song of all-time.

Natrlhi
03-04-2014, 07:37 AM
I was worried about a song called Mexican Radio. I don't even know who Wall of Voodoo are but that title just doesn't sit well with me. I thought it was a serious album and starting an album with a song with that title just confuses me. It seems to me like throwing a cover of Sugar, Sugar in the middle of Monotheist but maybe I'm totally wrong and it's an ironic title for the br00talist song of all-time.It's actually not bad. Celtic Frost totally made it their own thing - which begs the question why they decided to cover it in the first place, but that's a question we may never know the answer to. Bottom line is, it doesn't suck. It just doesn't sound anything like the original.

Onioner
03-04-2014, 07:55 AM
To Mega Therion is one of the most evil albums I own. I fricken love it and can't recommend it enough. I always thought Into the Pandemonium was kind of overrated. It was the first CF album I bought and I tried really hard to get it into it and only came out with, "Eh, it's okay I guess." It took only one listen of To Mega Therion for me to be like, "DAMN THIS SHIT RULES."

JRA
03-04-2014, 08:02 AM
To Mega Therion, though you might appreciate it more if you hear Morbid Tales (or Apocalyptic Raids) first.

I like Into The Pandemonium, and I like Mexican Radio. Hell I like I Won't Dance and frankly I don't understand those who don't. That thrash riff at the beginning is awesome!

Still if you only have one choice, get To Mega Therion.

mankvill
03-04-2014, 11:59 AM
You need Morbid Tales + Emperor's Return before anything, but I say To Mega Therion.

John The Drummer
03-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Coming at Celtic Frost from Montheist, I find all of their old stuff very difficult to get into.

What I wouldn't give for an album of old songs re-recorded with the Monotheist sound. Or just a top-drawer live album from the Monotheist tour.

That's how I feel about them....

That being said, go with TMT if anything, but Cold Lake over all.

adamclark52
03-04-2014, 04:21 PM
That's how I feel about them....

That being said, go with TMT if anything, but Cold Lake over all.

Cold Lake, sounds grim. I'm on it.

mankvill
03-04-2014, 04:41 PM
hNoOeykFcxc

John The Drummer
03-04-2014, 06:08 PM
hNoOeykFcxc

9bul5LSBkeE

Natrlhi
03-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Cold Lake, sounds grim. I'm on it.

Only if you want to lose your fucking lunch. Cold Lake is an abomination.

Onioner
03-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Only if you want to lose your fucking lunch. Cold Lake is an abomination.

It's so bad that it's awesome. Doesn't beat Stay Hard and The Pack is Back by Raven in that category though.

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 12:00 AM
hNoOeykFcxc

You know that's not a bad song. It's just that it has the name 'Celtic Frost' attached to it. If it had of been some other band it probably wouldn't be so unbearable. I actually like when the girls voice is interjected into the verses.

Something that I always found funny about that video was that hair metal or glam metal was highly dependent on the look of the band, and having a handsome lead singer that girls would want a poster of on their wall. So you had the name 'Celtic Frost', which really didn't fit the hair metal mold. Maybe if they changed it to 'Celtixxx Frost' it would fit better. And then you had Tom G. Warrior, who (I'm sorry) is an ugly, strange looking motherfucker. And the whole video just looks awkward. Like someone gave them a K-Tel "How to Make a Heavy Metal Video!" book just before filming and they were just running through the steps.

treghet
03-05-2014, 03:04 AM
Into the Pandemonium is an inconsistent album. One moment it's kicking your ass and the next it sounds like a failed experimentation. To Mega Therion on the other hand kicks your ass the entire duration. Also, it is unfortunate to say that Cold Lake was not the worst thing Celtic Frost did.

2U_aeUywUFQ

Ndrcz3mybPg

ravenheart
03-05-2014, 03:47 AM
Musically I have very little against Cold Lake. It's problem will always be that Tom simply isn't a good enough singer to pull it off.

ravenheart
03-05-2014, 03:55 AM
Relistening to To Mega Therion now. Definitely get that.

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Now I just hope HMV.ca isn't wrong and the one store actually has To Mega Therion.

elturtleboy
03-05-2014, 09:33 AM
You need Morbid Tales + Emperor's Return before anything, but I say To Mega Therion.

This. And seriously this was a no brainer

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Well, I can't argue with fourteen to zero. I got To Mega Therion. What really sold me was Onioners comment on the first page saying it was "one of the most evil albums" he had heard. Funny thing was both stores had the first album, so I was almost inclined to get that instead. But, I went with To Mega Therion.

Thanks guys.

adamclark52
03-08-2014, 11:24 AM
I really like To Mega Therion. At first listen I wasn't too sure but by song four Dawn of Meggido I was sold. I heard the Tom G. Warrior of today more on that song than any. And on the four or five listens since I've loved everything even more. The only songs I can do without are the intro Innocence and Wrath, the segue Tears in a Prophet's Dream and the bonus track Return to the Eve. Necromantical Screams is probably my favorite song. I love the backing vocals in that song.

Granted, by todays standards it's not very evil but I can only imagine how this came across thirty years ago. They really sound like no other band of the time. Just ugly.

Obituary sound like pretty much every song on this album, from the riffs to the guitar tone. And the band Sigh in their earlier days too.

John The Drummer
03-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Necromantical Screams is probably my favorite song. I love the backing vocals in that song.

Check out the live version of it from Wacken 06 or 07... SO. CRUSHING.

JRA
03-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Yea, you could argue Obituary made a career out of jocking the Morbid Tales sound, of course by 1989 Frost was doing Cold Lake so....yeah.

adamclark52
03-08-2014, 07:08 PM
I think when Tom G. Warrior steps lightly on his tippy-toes in bunny socks it's still heavier than anything any of us could ever do.

ravenheart
03-09-2014, 04:21 AM
Funny thing was both stores had the first album, so I was almost inclined to get that instead.

Get that next. I need to get that one too.

adamclark52
03-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Get that next. I need to get that one too.

It's probably going to be next. I sampled a bit on YouTube last night just to get a vibe for it. The production sounded a little tinnier than I'd like but it sounded angrier.

Is Nemesis/whateveris any good?

ravenheart
03-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Is Nemesis/whateveris any good?

It's one of those albums where I can't decide if it's great and I just don't like it, or it's just crap...

Onioner
03-09-2014, 01:35 PM
It's one of those albums where I can't decide if it's great and I just don't like it, or it's just crap...

Seriously. Vanity/Nemesis confuses the shit out of me.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
03-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Vanity/Nemesis was a welcome return to form at the time but it's ultimately as forgettable as Cold Lake.

illuminatus917
03-15-2014, 02:24 PM

What I wouldn't give for an album of old songs re-recorded with the Monotheist sound.

I couldn't share this sentiment more.