PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Beers

justinm4bama
02-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Are there any beer nerds on here? What are some of your favorite beers and brewers?

Some of my favorite beers:

Kentucky Breakfast Stout by Founders
Peanut Butter Porter by Beer Engineers
Hopslam IPA by Bells
Coffee Oatmeal Stout by Founders

My favorite brewers:

Founders
Bells

Stouts and IPAs are my favorite, can never go wrong with most of them!

kalfitegrdan
02-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Pretty much anything 3 Floyds makes.

Onioner
02-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Double Bastard Ale by Stone is probably the best beer I've tried in my young life. Everything that I've tried from Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas have been fantastic as well. Sorry if I'm relatively noobish about my beers compared to others on here.

I'm generally an IPA guy too, but sometimes they're just a bit heavy for me so I go for a pale ale instead. Not really a huge fan of most lagers, though I do enjoy them.

Maideneer
02-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Carlsberg is #1
Guinness
Harp
Pretty much most German/Czech lagers and ales
Yuengling is my fav. American beer
Chimay / Kwak / any Abbey or Trappist ale / Duvel / Gavroche
Warsteiner

And if anyone says Trooper beer then their post is null and void, there's no way that's anyone's fav.

swboyd
02-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Recently:

Stone IPA
Revolution Anti-Hero IPA
Revolution Bottom Up Wit
Three Floyds Gumballhead
Three Floyds Dreadnaught

All time favorites:
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
St. George's Nut Brown Ale
Bell's Two Hearted Ale

So many good beers out there, so little time.

mankvill
02-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Root.

adamclark52
02-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Stiegl

Although I am thinking about cutting beer out of my diet.

AnthG
02-24-2014, 10:53 AM
I don't like beer. Yes, i'm a dude.

larvtard
02-24-2014, 01:51 PM
I don't like beer. Yes, i'm a dude.

:confused: Ohh right, gender stereotype. Gotcha.

I like Founders Breakfast Stout, Samuel Adams Cream Stout, Samuel Smiths Taddy Caster Porter, Duvel, Left Hand Milk Stout, 1554 Black Ale, and most Trappist ales. I'm a bit of a noob.

John The Drummer
02-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Back when I drank beer I always enjoyed Pyramid Apricot Ale.... yes.... I'm a dude :tongue:

PVH5150
02-24-2014, 02:06 PM
There is Newcastle for daily drinking.

There is Chimay Blue for wanting to get fucked up fast drinking.

There is Schlitz for end of the month drinking.

And then there is everything else.

I like beer.

ravenheart
02-24-2014, 02:23 PM
There is Newcastle for daily drinking.

There is Chimay Blue for wanting to get fucked up fast drinking.

There is Schlitz for end of the month drinking.

And then there is everything else.

I like beer.

:eyes:

anomynous
02-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Miller High Life
Natty Light
Bud Light Platinum

El Gordo
02-24-2014, 03:50 PM
My favourite brewery would be Mill St. as I enjoy the majority of their brews.

Most days I'll be drinking James Ready 5.5 because it's cheap and entirely drinkable.

Other beers I enjoy are Bass, Staropramen, Pilsner Urquell, Steamwhistle, Creemore... I dunno, I tend to like whatever beer is in my hand!

ravenheart
02-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Pilsner Urquell

When I visited Prague this was all I drank, but the export version is shit.

PVH5150
02-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Natty Light

Are you 12?

christopher
02-24-2014, 04:31 PM
My favorite brewing company is Dale Bros. That is probably because it is 15 minutes from me and I've tried most of their delicious beer.

I love red beers first and then Belgians, stouts and various dark beers. I do enjoy a good IPA but I don't like having them too often because I can only take the super hoppy taste for so long.

When I'm broke, I just drink King Cobra.

mastodon421
02-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Basically if it's cheap to mid-range garbage not named Natty Ice or Keystone, I'll drink it:lol:

I have no taste for IPA's or various other craft brews.

anomynous
02-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Are you 12?

Not serious answer. Fuck Natty.

SomewhereInTime72
02-24-2014, 05:44 PM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m109/beanbone/Youngs_Double_Chocolate_Stout_200.jpg

powerslave_85
02-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Heady Topper is probably my #1 favorite. I love IPAs; the more intense the better. Other faves:

La Fin Du Monde
Stone Ruination IPA
Switchback
Sam Adams Octoberfest
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Trappistes Rochefort 10
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Yuengling
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Magic Hat Howl

Oh, and the other day I found the Iron Maiden Trooper beer. It was actually pretty damn good.

kalfitegrdan
02-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Recently:

Stone IPA
Revolution Anti-Hero IPA
Revolution Bottom Up Wit
Three Floyds Gumballhead
Three Floyds Dreadnaught

All time favorites:
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
St. George's Nut Brown Ale
Bell's Two Hearted Ale

So many good beers out there, so little time.

:fist: Anti-hero and Gumballhead are both excellent. I've never had Dreadnaught, but I'm sure it's great if it's a Three Floyds beer. The only one from there that I want too keen on was the Pelican beer they had, Immutable Dusk. That Dogfish Head is also another great one.

El Gordo
02-25-2014, 02:24 AM
La Fin Du Monde

That's an excellent choice, as are a lot of the other Unibroue beers. Have you tried Maudite or Blanche de Chambly?

ravenheart
02-25-2014, 03:34 AM
I have no taste for IPA's or various other craft brews.

Me either.

Peroni Nastuo Azzurro always tops my list.

Maideneer
02-25-2014, 05:55 AM
Miller High Life
Natty Light
Bud Light Platinum

1) I'll soon be joining you in St. Louis permanently so it would be cool to meet you.

2) Miller High Life is actually the best "cheap beer" I drink. I get it at 7-11 for something like $8 for a 12.

ravenheart
02-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Miller High Life is...? I only saw Miller Lite when I was there, which blows :(

swboyd
02-25-2014, 07:08 AM
:fist: Anti-hero and Gumballhead are both excellent. I've never had Dreadnaught, but I'm sure it's great if it's a Three Floyds beer. The only one from there that I want too keen on was the Pelican beer they had, Immutable Dusk. That Dogfish Head is also another great one.

I live a couple blocks from the Revolution Brewpub so it's my go-to bar in the neighborhood aside from the shitty taproom that's a block from my apartment. I've had some interesting beers there, but Anti-Hero is probably my fave. Such a smooth IPA.

I need to make it out to the Three Floyds Brewery when I get a free weekend. All of their beers I've had I've loved aside from Razor Hoof (the High on Fire collab) which was just okay. Which is coincidentally the same way I feel about High on Fire.

ravenheart
02-25-2014, 07:10 AM
Which is coincidentally the same way I feel about High on Fire.

:fist:

kalfitegrdan
02-25-2014, 04:25 PM
I live a couple blocks from the Revolution Brewpub so it's my go-to bar in the neighborhood aside from the shitty taproom that's a block from my apartment. I've had some interesting beers there, but Anti-Hero is probably my fave. Such a smooth IPA.

I need to make it out to the Three Floyds Brewery when I get a free weekend. All of their beers I've had I've loved aside from Razor Hoof (the High on Fire collab) which was just okay. Which is coincidentally the same way I feel about High on Fire.

Nice. I've yet to go to the Revolution brewpub or the Three Floyds Brewery. I've been waiting for a free weekend with no shows to get out to one or the other as well.

SomewhereInTime72
02-25-2014, 06:10 PM
2) Miller High Life is actually the best "cheap beer" I drink. I get it at 7-11 for something like $8 for a 12.

On the subject of cheap/crappy beers, I've always found that Bud light is surprisingly less shitty than many of its counterparts. :eyes: Though personally, my favorite budget beer is gonna be Yuengling. It's priced *similarly* to many piss beers while being much, much, better (obviously not a beer I would use as a response to this thread, but the increased tolerability is 100% worth the very slight increase in price over piss-flavored beers IMO.)

justinm4bama
02-25-2014, 06:17 PM
On the subject of cheap/crappy beers, I've always found that Bud light is surprisingly less shitty than many of its counterparts. :eyes: Though personally, my favorite budget beer is gonna be Yuengling. It's priced *similarly* to many piss beers while being much, much, better (obviously not a beer I would use as a response to this thread, but the increased tolerability is 100% worth the very slight increase in price over piss-flavored beers IMO.)

Oh yeah Yuengling is a great, averaged priced beer when $ is low. America's oldest brewer :jima:

powerslave_85
02-25-2014, 06:39 PM
My go-to cheap beer is usually Molson Canadian. Or just PBR.

kalfitegrdan
02-25-2014, 07:44 PM
:barf: The only piss beers worse than Bud Light are Keystone and Natty Ice. I wish we had Yeungling out here. I had it at MDF and it was definitely not bad.

RAZOR
02-25-2014, 08:00 PM
:barf: The only piss beers worse than Bud Light are Keystone and Natty Ice. I wish we had Yeungling out here. I had it at MDF and it was definitely not bad.

I'm bringing Adam some local beers to MDF, I'll throw some extra Yuengling's in there for ya. :D

kalfitegrdan
02-25-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm bringing Adam some local beers to MDF, I'll throw some extra Yuengling's in there for ya. :D

:party: Much better than paying five bucks for a little cup at the fest. :lol:

justinm4bama
02-25-2014, 10:27 PM

Do y'all seriously not have Yeungling where you are from? Damn dude I'm sorry! :lol: We need to bring local beers from our areas and sample them at MDF haha.

swboyd
02-26-2014, 07:18 AM
Do y'all seriously not have Yeungling where you are from? Damn dude I'm sorry! :lol: We need to bring local beers from our areas and sample them at MDF haha.

Other than friends and family, Yuengling might be the thing I miss the most about living in Virginia. For the price, it seriously is the best beer you can get. I can't wait until the distribution makes it out here. *crosses fingers*

ravenheart
02-26-2014, 07:39 AM
piss beers... Natty Ice

Someone bottled Nat's piss? :eyes:

smearCampaign
02-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Texas beers:
Austin Beerworks - Pearl Snap
Hops & Grain - Pale Dog
Real Ale - Lost Gold IPA
Real Ale - Devil’s Backbone
Jester King - Noble King
Jester King - Black Metal Imperial
512 Brewing Co. - Pecan Porter
Deep Ellum Brewing - Deep Ellum IPA

Michigan beers:
Founders - Centennial IPA (my groom’s drink at my wedding)
Bell’s - Two Hearted
Bell’s - Oberon
Short’s - MMMKay IPA
Atwater Brewery - Detroit Pale Ale
Motor City Brewing Works - Ghettoblaster

Other US beers:
Left Hand Path - Wake Up Dead Imperial
Stone - Arrogant Bastard
New Belgium - Ranger
New Belgium - Lips of Faith series
Oskar Blues - Dale's Pale Ale

Go to cheap beer when I'm in Texas: Tecate or Lonestar
Go to cheap beer when I'm in Michigan: Moosehead or Labbat Blue

anomynous
02-26-2014, 11:12 AM
1) I'll soon be joining you in St. Louis permanently so it would be cool to meet you.

I'm at shows all the time, so it's bound to happen sooner or later. As long as I'm still here at least. I've met one person on here before (300%), now potentially a second? The most real-life forum I've ever been on.

Yes, Miller High Life isn't horrible. The other two I listed are though. Would be nice if we had Yuengling out here.

Maideneer
02-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Yes, Miller High Life isn't horrible. The other two I listed are though. Would be nice if we had Yuengling out here.

Say it isn't so! Costco by me has it, maybe by you they carry it too? In any event, St. Louis has awesome local beers I can't wait to try and will more than make up for losing Yuengling.

Say, you don't have an extra Slayer @ Pageant ticket do you? That's my first show in STL and I really don't wanna do Stubhub.

anomynous
02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Say it isn't so! Costco by me has it, maybe by you they carry it too? In any event, St. Louis has awesome local beers I can't wait to try and will more than make up for losing Yuengling.

Say, you don't have an extra Slayer @ Pageant ticket do you? That's my first show in STL and I really don't wanna do Stubhub.

Yuengling doesn't come out this far west. It stops the "westward expansion" at Ohio. That said, I have a case of it in my basement.

Nope to the Slayer ticket. Sorry. My friends and I got balcony seats anyway, because this is the first time any of us have been there where everybody going is 21+. I'll keep an eye out if I see any tickets pop up anywhere, they usually do the week before on Craigslist around here for around face value.

powerslave_85
02-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Speaking of Texas beers, I miss Shiner Bock. I haven't been able to get it since I left Arizona 5+ years ago.

mastodon421
02-26-2014, 01:45 PM

Yeungling is pretty much exclusive to the south and NY/PA/OH for whatever reason. My buddies go to school in Virgina and New York and rave about it all the time, so I'm kind of pissed they don't have it in Massachusetts.

smearCampaign
02-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Speaking of Texas beers, I miss Shiner Bock. I haven't been able to get it since I left Arizona 5+ years ago.

I thought Shiner was available nationwide. I like regular Shiner Bock alright, but they've got a couple great seasonal beers as well.

Natrlhi
02-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Someone bottled Nat's piss? :eyes:Yes. :cool:

The alcohol content is higher because the piss is partially frozen and the ice is skimmed off the top, thereby concentrating the mixture.

kalfitegrdan
02-26-2014, 02:37 PM

That's all over the place around here.

I really like the Shiner Premium beer. It's the cheapest beer at the arcade bar by my friend's house and it tastes like a cheap IPA. Not bad for $2.

AnataFan4Life
03-15-2014, 03:23 AM
Creating a six pack of craft beers for my birthday. Definitely getting Founder's Breakfast Stout if there's still any left. Might try the Arrogant Bastard. For anyone who's had it, how is it?

Onioner
03-15-2014, 05:36 AM
Creating a six pack of craft beers for my birthday. Definitely getting Founder's Breakfast Stout if there's still any left. Might try the Arrogant Bastard. For anyone who's had it, how is it?

It is a motherfucker of a beer. I had the Double Bastard on tap once, and it went down super smooth and had an army of amazing flavors. I then had a bottle of Arrogant Bastard and it was a bit less flavorful and a lot more bitter even though I had heard the Double was supposed to be right out of hell when it came to bitterness. Basically, I think those beers are much much better if you can get them on tap, but Arrogant Bastard is still quite killer from the bottle. Definitely worth trying at least once if you consider yourself a beer fan!

I've been in love with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Kellerweis lately. Currently nursing a Pale Ale while doing circuits homework.

marker
03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Yes, Miller High Life .

The champagne of piss.

MetalIsArt
03-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Leffe (brown)
Duvel
Vedett
Westvleteren (12)
Jupiler
Gulden Draak (Golden Dragon)
Guinness

hellawaits77ny
03-16-2014, 05:28 AM
My top 11:

1) Double Bastard
2) Heady Topper
3) Zombie Dust
4) Arrogant Bastard
5) Weihenstephaner Korbinian
6) Spaten Helles
7) Jack Abby's 2nd Anniversary Lager
8) Sam Adams Double Bock
9) Squeak's CitrALE (my all-Citra pale ale homebrew)
10) Ghandi-Bot
11) Pliney the Elder

AnataFan4Life
03-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Oaked Arrogant Bastard, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Duck Rabbit Milk Stout were on my menu last night.

AnataFan4Life
03-16-2014, 09:42 AM
My top 11:

1) Double Bastard
2) Heady Topper
3) Zombie Dust
4) Arrogant Bastard
5) Weihenstephaner Korbinian
6) Spaten Helles
7) Jack Abby's 2nd Anniversary Lager
8) Sam Adams Double Bock
9) Squeak's CitrALE (my all-Citra pale ale homebrew)
10) Ghandi-Bot
11) Pliney the Elder

I really wanna try the Heady Topper someday, if it ever becomes obtainable outside of Vermont :bouville:

hellawaits77ny
03-16-2014, 10:31 AM
I really wanna try the Heady Topper someday, if it ever becomes obtainable outside of Vermont :bouville:

It's so damn good. You can always join a beer forum and try to arrange a trade.

MetalIsArt
03-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Too many American beers! :hmm:

AnataFan4Life
03-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Drinking either the Founders Centennial IPA or Imperial Stout tonight, which one?

AnataFan4Life
03-17-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm convinced that Founders can do no wrong. This Imperial Stout is amazing.

justinm4bama
03-31-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm convinced that Founders can do no wrong. This Imperial Stout is amazing.

You are absolutely correct, sir!

Just tried Newcastle's limited release called Cabbie. Wasn't too impressed. Going to try Goosehead's IPA tomorrow.

justinm4bama
04-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Just had Stone Have By 4/20/14 IPA. One of the best IPAs I've ever had.

christopher
04-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Do any of you have the Untappd app?

kalfitegrdan
04-08-2014, 12:02 AM

Yeah, I just downloaded it last week because of Reddit.

justinm4bama
04-08-2014, 11:02 PM

What is that? I've always used Beeradvocate.

RAMJACinc
04-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Heavy Seas Loose Cannon & Devil's Backbone Eight-Point IPA are both fantastic hoppy IPAs. Also a big fan of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.

I'm new here, btw - seems like a great board.

smearCampaign
04-09-2014, 09:00 AM

I do. My username is smear on there, feel free to add me. I don't have any friends added on mine yet, I've just been using it to track and rate what I've been drinking. It's a pretty cool app.

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon & Devil's Backbone Eight-Point IPA are both fantastic hoppy IPAs. Also a big fan of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.

Welcome new person. You seem to have a good taste in beer. I love IPAs myself. Hopefully you have good taste in metal too. ;)

RAMJACinc
04-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks, smear. Great avatar, btw! I'm embarrassed to say how many times I've probably watched that movie...

Onioner
04-09-2014, 07:01 PM

Welcome! An IPA fan is a good dude in my book. For me, the best part of this forum IMO is just finding out about a ton of incredibly cool music that I would never have heard of otherwise. The 2014 thread in the album reviews sub-forum is a goldmine.

On topic, I tried the new Lagunitas release, the Investigation Shutdown Ale, the other night and it was damn good. Really sweet, though it definitely had an alcohol bite that was kinda weird. I find myself always returning to Sierra Nevada though, the Pale Ale is old reliable for me.

RAMJACinc
04-10-2014, 05:39 AM
Thanks, Onioner! I was curious about Undercover Shut-Down, as I'm a big fan of their Maximus. Good to know.

justinm4bama
04-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Anybody try the Game of Thrones red ale?

justinm4bama
04-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Anybody try the Game of Thrones red ale yet?

SomewhereInTime72
04-17-2014, 07:29 PM
^
I was in Trader Joe's with my gf today, and walking passed the beer section I asked "Hey, maybe this is the beer from the last GoT."

http://mikesbrewreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/bells-oberon.jpg

powerslave_85
04-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Anybody try the Game of Thrones red ale yet?
I did. I thought it was good, if not a stand-out.

Onioner
04-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Just drank an Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Holy mother of fuck that was amazing. Definitely my favorite stout, if not up there in terms of overall favorite beers.

christopher
04-22-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm about to go try a beer that is Dr Pepper flavored! I'm sure this will be my new favorite! :D

Nausea
06-30-2014, 02:22 PM
My Favorite beer is probably :

http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopping/files/2007/09/guinnessbeer.jpg

However I will usually prefer any local Dark beer at a local brewery.

adamclark52
09-20-2014, 11:28 AM
I went to the States last weekend and bought some Yuengling because I thought I liked it...turns out I don't like it. I think I got mixed up with that Sam Adams Oktoberfest stuff.

JTCorpse
09-24-2014, 09:41 AM
I prefer IPAs like Lagunitas, Stone, etc... If it has "IPA" on the label I'll probably drink it. Craft brews are awesome and I'm partial to Lost Coast Brewery, Hangar 24. I also like cheap, mass produced, often referred to as "shitty" beer like Natural Light, Pabst, Coors. Actually if it has alcohol in it, I'll more than likely partake. Man...I'm an alcoholic!!

RAZOR
09-24-2014, 01:32 PM
I tried Kasteel's pumpkin beer last weekend at Sharp Edge, it was like drinking a sweet potato. It was delicious but so strange. :lol:

Also if you have a Sharp Edge around you, definitely check it out! They have an amazing selection of beer! Brad who used to post here, I forget his username, recommended it to me!