PDA

View Full Version : My Top 30 Favorite Movies Of All-Time

Pages : [1] 2

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Well, I've done albums, I've done video games, now it's time for movies! (reviews will probably be shorter than usual)

Starting off with.....

30.Tarzan
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4f/Tarzan_%281999_film%29_-_theatrical_poster.jpg

Released In 1999

Disney is a money machine that makes a whole chunk of it's profit on movies that are getting released on a yearly bases now, and one of the best ones to ever come out of the company is definitely Tarzan. Based on the original story of Tarzan, the story is one that has been told many different times many different ways, but this is the only one I've seen (and ever want to see). The characters are great, the story is pretty emotional and funny at the same time, and the music is spectacular. Tarzan as a character is also one of my favorite animated characters in general, but Tantor is a seriously underrated Disney character that needs more recognition.

Favorite character: Tarzan (of course)

Favorite quote:
Tantor: That sounded like Tarzan. It sounded like - like he was in trouble.
Terk: Yeah? Why doesn't he get his new friends to help him? I don't care.
Tantor: Thaaaaat's IT! I've had it with you and your emotional constipation! Tarzan needs us, and we're gonna help him! You got that?
[places Terk on his back]
Tantor: Now pipe down, and hang on tight! We've got a boat to catch.
[Tantor charges off a cliff and into the ocean]
Tantor: I've never felt so alive!
Terk: Good, 'cause I'm gonna kill you!

Favorite scene: Transition from Tarzan as a boy to a man

Favorite song off soundtrack: Strangers Like Me

dcmetal108
02-23-2014, 04:15 PM
I have a feeling the majority of these will either be from 1999 onwards and mainly kiddy to some degree.

ravenheart
02-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Oh boy...

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-23-2014, 04:37 PM
I have a feeling the majority of these will either be from 1999 onwards and mainly kiddy to some degree.

Then golly will you be surprised....

AnthG
02-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Don't let them break you dude, I look forward to the rest of your list. Mainly so I myself can also complain if there's something I disagree with.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Don't let them break you dude, I look forward to the rest of your list. Mainly so I myself can also complain if there's something I disagree with.

Yea I kinda expected them to be hatin', funny how much they hate my list but always seem interested enough to comment on them :lol: Hope they'll be movies that interest you!

ravenheart
02-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Yea I kinda expected them to be hatin', funny how much they hate my list but always seem interested enough to comment on them :lol: Hope they'll be movies that interest you!

That'll be that standard dumb internet idea that only positive comments should ever be made, and that being interested in something and disliking or disagree with it are somehow mutually exclusive. It's never made actual sense; people do love to keep falling back on it though.

dcmetal108
02-23-2014, 06:06 PM
That'll be that standard dumb internet idea that only positive comments should ever be made, and that being interested in something and disliking or disagree with it are somehow mutually exclusive. It's never made actual sense; people do love to keep falling back on it though.

This.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-23-2014, 06:58 PM
When it boils down to it you two are just wasting your time, but that's your guys lose not mine.

mankvill
02-23-2014, 07:03 PM
When it boils down to it you two are just wasting your time, but that's your guys lose not mine.

Time spent enjoying something is hardly time wasted.

dcmetal108
02-23-2014, 07:03 PM

So you want nobody to voice their opinion unless they are saying how great your list is? No opinions needed at all? You really need to grow up and learn how the internet and for that matter how a forum works. Everyone comments on everything, doesn't matter if that person doesn't like or even give a fuck about what the topic is.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-23-2014, 07:25 PM
So you want nobody to voice their opinion unless they are saying how great your list is? No opinions needed at all? You really need to grow up and learn how the internet and for that matter how a forum works. Everyone comments on everything, doesn't matter if that person doesn't like or even give a fuck about what the topic is.

Yes I know how a forum works, you only have explained it a hundred times, and frankly no matter how you slice it it's a waste of time to just attack someones opinion.If you disagree with a thing on the list (or even multiple things on the list), sure tell me, but saying this list is going to suck before it really has started or hating just because you can is truly ridiculous and a true waste of time, you can't convince me any different.Looks like you have a bigger problem, all you seem to care about is how I don't like hate.

dcmetal108
02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
When did I say it would suck? I simply stated that I felt like it would be a list full of newer things, and going off the your video game list that would be my reason to think so.

Go ahead, make your list. Show me what you got. But before you start trying to say I'm simply trying to give you hate you should make sure that was I previously said was in fact what you state.

adamclark52
02-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Ah, another WildandYoung thread, another thirty pages of arguing, ignorance and (probably) trolling. I love it. Carry on, son.

The only time I ever saw the Diznee Tarzan was fourteen years ago, the first time I had sex with my wife. So yeah, I hate that movie.

kalfitegrdan
02-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Haterz make u famou$, brah. :cool:

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-24-2014, 09:09 AM
When did I say it would suck? I simply stated that I felt like it would be a list full of newer things, and going off the your video game list that would be my reason to think so.

Go ahead, make your list. Show me what you got. But before you start trying to say I'm simply trying to give you hate you should make sure that was I previously said was in fact what you state.

Well you didn't "technically" said it would suck, but based on what you said I got the idea that you are going to hate the list. The response was probably more suited to ravenheart's comment.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-24-2014, 09:28 AM
29.Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Star_Wars_Episode_III_Revenge_of_the_Sith_poster.j pg

Released in 2005

Before you start assuming things, yes, I've watched the original trilogy, and yes I think this is the best Star Wars.When I was younger, I had a Star Wars obsession, but in recent years I've kinda lost most of the interest I had.That said, to me Revenge Of The Sith stands as the best one and one I could probably watch over and over again the most.The cast is of course awesome, and as the final movie (until now) in the Star Wars series it provided a phenomenal dark story of how Darth Vadar became to be.

Favorite character: Anakin

Favorite quote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi: You have allowed this dark lord to twist your mind, until now, until now you've become the very thing you swore to destroy.
Anakin Skywalker: Don't lecture me, Obi-Wan! I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the dark side as you do. I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Your new Empire?
Anakin Skywalker: Don't make me kill you.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic, to democracy.
Anakin Skywalker: If you're not with me, then you're my enemy.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: [realizing that Anakin is consumed by evil and there's no reasoning with him anymore] Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
[draws his lightsaber]
Obi-Wan Kenobi: I will do what I must.
Anakin Skywalker: You will try.
[draws his lightsaber and confronts Obi-Wan]

Favorite scene: Final battle with Obi-Wan and Anakin

Favorite song off soundtrack: Enter Lord Vadar

adamclark52
02-24-2014, 09:30 AM
I think Revenge of the Sith is fantastic. You should read the novel, it's even better.

kalfitegrdan
02-24-2014, 09:50 AM
29.Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Star_Wars_Episode_III_Revenge_of_the_Sith_poster.j pg

this is the best Star Wars

I can't even find words for this one, so just...:eyes: :nonono: :mad: :flame: :finger2: :confused: :wallbang: :fight: :crash: :angry: :hecho: :( :drinking:

mankvill
02-24-2014, 10:00 AM
man Episode 3 wasn't so bad, easily the best of the prequel trilogy too. step off h8rs

edit: oh I see what he said. carry on.

Dextrimental
02-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Revenge of the Sith is great. Against the original trilogy? Nah, just doesn't stack up. I could understand rating it higher than 'A New Hope', but 'Empire' and 'Jedi' are different animals entirely.

adamclark52
02-24-2014, 12:22 PM
I always flip-flop on Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi and which is better. I always flip-flop on the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones too, as to which is the worst.

Empire Strikes Back will always be number one and A New Hope will always be number four.

mankvill
02-24-2014, 12:33 PM
I recently re-watched the prequel and I have to say that Episode 2 is by far the worst. Blech.

Like, I know Jar Jar is a stupid character but his awfulness doesn't really affect the whole movie. All of Episode 2 just leaves you with a bad taste.

smearCampaign
02-24-2014, 12:41 PM
The correct answer is:
ESB
ANH
ROTJ
ROTS
Clone Wars Cartoon Network thing
The Ewok movies
Holiday Special
AOTC
Phantom Turd

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-24-2014, 01:42 PM
I think Revenge of the Sith is fantastic. You should read the novel, it's even better.

Definitely will have to check it out sometime! And just for the record, I did have to decide this one or Empire, but in the end just went with Sith because I love Anakin so much.

adamclark52
02-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Phantom Menace had a great intro sequence, died for the next hour and had a great final sequence. Attack of the Clones was boring as hell, then had a fantastic final sequence. I'd wanted to see an army of Jedi my whole life.

Phantom Menace had Jar Jar, Attack of the Clones has whiny Anakin. But Phantom Menace had Darth Maul, and Attack of the Clones had Jango Fett.

Both had some good, and a whole lot of bad. I can't decide right now which was the worst movie.

Natrlhi
02-24-2014, 01:58 PM
The correct answer is:
ESB
ANH
ROTJ
ROTS
Clone Wars Cartoon Network thing
The Ewok movies
Holiday Special
AOTC
Phantom Turd
Ding ding ding - we have ourselves a winner.

Oh, and this exact same conversation has been had on this forum 8,396,582,369,852 times.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-24-2014, 02:17 PM
28.The Amazing Spider-Man
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/The_Amazing_Spider-Man_theatrical_poster.jpeg

Released In 2012

Before I saw this movie, I had no interest in seeing it whatsoever. I thought it would be impossible to make a good re-boot of Spider Man. But I was offered to go by my friends so I decided I might as well go, and boy was I surprised (I ended up seeing it three times in theaters). This movie is better then all three original Spider Men movies combined (and I love all of them). The movie was very well cast, and Spider Man was more humourus in this one (making it more true to the comics). Truly one of my favorite super hero movies of all-time and I can't wait for the next one.

Favorite character: Peter Parker/Spider-Man

Favorite quote:
Spider-Man: Ahem. You know, in the future, if you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief, man.
Car Thief: Who are you? Are you a cop?
Spider-Man: Really? You seriously think I'm a cop? Cop in a skin-tight red and blue suit?

Favorite scene: Spider-Man catches the car thief

Favorite song off soundtrack: Becoming Spider-Man

AnthG
02-25-2014, 09:35 AM
I remember having a conversation with a friend of mine well after the 2012 summer movie season had ended about the Dark Knight Rises vs. Avengers debate that was still pretty rampant on the internet and amongst general conversations with friends of mine where I was like "Dude, how does Sony and the rest of the creative team behind Spiderman feel when people are talking about the other 2 comic book movies that came out in regards to what's better?"

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-25-2014, 10:40 AM
I remember having a conversation with a friend of mine well after the 2012 summer movie season had ended about the Dark Knight Rises vs. Avengers debate that was still pretty rampant on the internet and amongst general conversations with friends of mine where I was like "Dude, how does Sony and the rest of the creative team behind Spiderman feel when people are talking about the other 2 comic book movies that came out in regards to what's better?"

Yea I agree with you, though to me Avengers was without a doubt the best super hero movies of that year (The Hobbit was the best of that year though, expect to see both though higher on the list).Never was a big DC fan.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-25-2014, 10:57 AM
27.I Am Legend
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/I_am_legend_teaser.jpg

Released In 2007

I Am Legend is one of those movies that could have been bad, but ended up being an incredible movie.I love post-apocalyptic stuff, and this movie made it a little bit different.It had some pretty suspenseful moments, especially during the scene where Robert first encounters the Darkseekers.To me this is Will Smith's best movie he's been in so far, and probably ever will be.Not much more to say other than it's an awesome movie and if you've never watched it, you should really check it out.

Favorite character: I know Robert is really the only main character in the movie, but I really loved Sam (I have a German Shepherd that looks just like him).

Favorite quote:
Neville: [talking to Anna about Bob Marley] He had this idea. It was kind of a virologist idea. He believed that you could cure racism and hate... literally cure it, by injecting music and love into people's lives. When he was scheduled to perform at a peace rally, a gunman came to his house and shot him down. Two days later he walked out on that stage and sang. When they asked him why - He said, "The people, who were trying to make this world worse... are not taking a day off. How can I? Light up the darkness."

Favorite scene: First encounter with the Darkseekers.

Favorite song off soundtrack: Epilogue

XDoomsayerX
02-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Why would ya make these lists, what are you 15...16?

I am Legend a best movie ever naaaw.

Onioner
02-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Will Smith will never best his career-defining glory from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

kalfitegrdan
02-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Will Smith will never best his career-defining glory from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Definitely this, but to be fair he did say, "Will Smith's best movie," which I also don't agree with.

mankvill
02-25-2014, 08:48 PM
sorry but Spider-Man 2 might be the best superhero movie of all time.

dcmetal108
02-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Why would ya make these lists, what are you 15...16?

I am Legend a best movie ever naaaw.

:lol: I <3 You.

But yea I Am Legend was a pretty shitty movie and one of Smiths worst.

PVH5150
02-26-2014, 04:16 AM
If by I Am Legend you mean Independence Day, then I'll agree. One of my favorite movies to give the surround sound a workout with.

AnthG
02-26-2014, 04:53 AM
sorry but Spider-Man 2 might be the best superhero movie of all time.

It MAY be the best Spider-man movie of all time

Dextrimental
02-26-2014, 06:09 AM
I didn't enjoy Amazing Spider-Man too much, but it was okay.

I Am Legend is only really average. Some cool moments, but that's about it. If you're into post-apocalyptic films, The Road, Dawn of the Dead/Day of the Dead and Twelve Monkeys will show you how it's really done.

ravenheart
02-26-2014, 07:08 AM
I like I Am Legend enough, but it wouldn't come close to a top 30.

And I'll throw 28 Days Later into the "post-apocalyptic" ring. I love The Book of Eli too, but I know that wasn't so popular.

ravenheart
02-26-2014, 07:09 AM
I always flip-flop on Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi and which is better. I always flip-flop on the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones too, as to which is the worst.

Empire Strikes Back will always be number one and A New Hope will always be number four.

All of this.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-26-2014, 10:35 AM
I didn't enjoy Amazing Spider-Man too much, but it was okay.

I Am Legend is only really average. Some cool moments, but that's about it. If you're into post-apocalyptic films, The Road, Dawn of the Dead/Day of the Dead and Twelve Monkeys will show you how it's really done.

Definitely will have to watch them, I really want to get into more of the genre.

Dextrimental
02-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Definitely will have to watch them, I really want to get into more of the genre.

The original Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, though the Dawn of the Dead remake is also awesome.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-26-2014, 11:04 AM
26.Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Harry_Potter_and_the_Goblet_of_Fire_Poster.jpg

Released In 2005

Let me start off just by sayin I am probably the biggest (and possibly only) HP fan on this board, and expect many HP movies to be featured here (more like most of the series). I have read the books (except the last one, have to get back to it), and even though they are better than the movies, that doesn't make the movies any less spectacular. The reason I love Goblet Of Fire so much because it sees the "Official" return of main antagonist Lord Voldemort.The story is great, doesn't stray to far from the book (somethings are left out for time reasons of course), but I usually don't care that much if the movie does something different then the book, as long as it is an entertaining movie. In this case it is.

Favorite character: Hermione/Harry (can't really decide, will be like this for most if not not all the HP inclusions in this list)

Favorite quote:
Ron: Do you think we'll ever just have a quiet year at Hogwarts?
Hermione, Harry: No.
Ron: Yeah, didn't think so. Oh well, what's life without a few dragons?

Favorite scene: Harry's clash with Voldemort

Favorite song off soundtrack: The Story Continues

Dextrimental
02-26-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm a pretty big HP fan. Hated Goblet of Fire, the movie barely makes sense without having read the book beforehand. Get back to the last book, it's great. Chamber of Secrets is my favorite of the films, though my opinion of any of them isn't altogether high.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-26-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm a pretty big HP fan. Hated Goblet of Fire, the movie barely makes sense without having read the book beforehand. Get back to the last book, it's great. Chamber of Secrets is my favorite of the films, though my opinion of any of them isn't altogether high.

Nice to see another HP fan here!

John The Drummer
02-26-2014, 12:00 PM
I always thought Harry Potter was stupid... then I watched it.... one of my most favorite movie series' of all time!

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-26-2014, 12:27 PM
I always thought Harry Potter was stupid... then I watched it.... one of my most favorite movie series' of all time!

:rocker:

dcmetal108
02-26-2014, 02:46 PM

And I'll throw 28 Days Later into the "post-apocalyptic" ring. I love The Book of Eli too, but I know that wasn't so popular.

Book Of Eli was awesome.

kalfitegrdan
02-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Yeah, 28 Days Later and Book of Eli were both awesome.

mastodon421
02-26-2014, 05:45 PM
I actually love I Am Legend:eyes: Wouldn't be amongst my all-time favorites, but I do think it's one of Will Smith's best movies.

powerslave_85
02-26-2014, 07:37 PM
I Am Legend was fine except for that stupid ending.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-27-2014, 10:03 AM
25.Iron Man
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/Ironmanposter.JPG

Released In 2008

When Iron Man came out, it took superhero movies to the next level. They couldn't have found a more perfect person for the role than Robert Downey, Jr. This is movie is just by far one of the best superhero movies of all-time. The action scenes were fantastic, the story is a great one that started the Avengers story line, and it is because of this movie that people stay until the end of the credits for every single movie that comes out to see the ending scene.

Favorite character: Tony Stark/Iron Man

Favorite quote:
[last lines]
Tony Stark: There's been speculation that I was involved in the events that occurred on the freeway and the rooftop...
Christine Everheart: I'm sorry, Mr. Stark, but do you honestly expect us to believe that that was a bodyguard in a suit that conveniently appeared, despite the fact that...
Tony Stark: I know that it's confusing. It is one thing to question the official story, and another thing entirely to make wild accusations, or insinuate that I'm a superhero.
Christine Everheart: I never said you were a superhero.
Tony Stark: Didn't?
Christine Everheart: Mmm-mmm.
Tony Stark: Well, good, because that would be outlandish and, uh, fantastic. I'm just not the hero type. Clearly. With this laundry list of character defects, all the mistakes I've made, largely public.
Rhodey: [whispers to Tony] Just stick to the cards, man.
Tony Stark: Yeah, okay.
Tony Stark: [holds up his notes and pauses] The truth is...
Tony Stark: [puts cards down] I am Iron Man.

Favorite scene: First battle with Mark I suit

Favorite song off soundtrack: Fireman

kalfitegrdan
02-27-2014, 10:07 AM
God damn, finally a good movie. :finger:

BloodoftheKings
02-27-2014, 10:14 AM
I still don't see what's so good about Iron Man. I thought the first one was just ok and the sequels were garbage.

mankvill
02-27-2014, 10:39 AM
First Iron Man was great. The second was so exponentially bad compared to the first one it was shocking. Haven't bothered with the film series since.

Natrlhi
02-27-2014, 10:54 AM
The Spider-Man movies were well enough done to make me happy that at least a few decent movies starring one of my favorite superheros of all time have been made, but none of them are anywhere near "best in class" movies in the superhero genre. Words like that should be reserved solely for "X-Men: First Class", any of the Christopher Nolan Batman films (in particular, "Dark Knight"), and maybe "The Avengers".

Also, not one of the films mentioned so far would be in my top thirty (or even fifty) of all time, except maybe ESB. However, I'll keep checking back to see if anything worth mentioning pops up. (Don't mean to be condescending, it just seems that our tastes are basically worlds apart.)

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-27-2014, 11:08 AM
The Spider-Man movies were well enough done to make me happy that at least a few decent movies starring one of my favorite superheros of all time have been made, but none of them are anywhere near "best in class" movies in the superhero genre. Words like that should be reserved solely for "X-Men: First Class", any of the Christopher Nolan Batman films (in particular, "Dark Knight"), and maybe "The Avengers".

Also, not one of the films mentioned so far would be in my top thirty (or even fifty) of all time, except maybe ESB. However, I'll keep checking back to see if anything worth mentioning pops up. (Don't mean to be condescending, it just seems that our tastes are basically worlds apart.)

Well don't rule out the list just yet, it's still early on, hopefully you'll find stuff you like!

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-27-2014, 11:37 AM
24.Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone (depending on where you live)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher%27s_Stone_posters .JPG

Released In 2001

Yes, another HP film already, but as I said most of the series is going to be featured in this list. The one that started it all, Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone did a bang up job of kicking the series off. After reading the book, I was very surprised to find it nearly identical to the movie (which is a good thing). This is a great movie that I've watched countless of times and will continue to watch for a long time.

Favorite character: Harry/Ron

Favorite quote:
Dumbledore: It does not do to dwell on dreams, Harry, and forget to live.

Favorite scene: Giant chess board fight

Favorite song off soundtrack: Leaving Hogwarts

mastodon421
02-27-2014, 02:57 PM
1st Iron Man is in my top 5 superhero movies ever. Fucking awesome stuff.

powerslave_85
02-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Iron Man's only problem (and it's really the same problem most Marvel movies have, aside from Thor) is the lack of a compelling villain. Luckily everything else is so good it doesn't matter much.

Also, Iron Man pulled off what I previously thought was impossible and made me enjoy a Gwyneth Paltrow performance.

marker
02-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Most of the Marvel movies are overrated in my opinion. Especially The Avengers.

XDoomsayerX
02-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Man this list seems like Lil Jimmys fave movie list thus far...superheroes, animated films, and Harry Potter.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Most of the Marvel movies are overrated in my opinion. Especially The Avengers.

man your gonna hate were it is on this list then :lol:

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-28-2014, 10:41 AM
23.Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0e/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_movie.jpg

Released In 2003

I don't care what anybody thinks, I love the Pirates Of The Caribbean series. I do believe the first one is the best though, just because it made me love pirates (that's why Black Flag is so high on my games list). The movie was VERY well cast, Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, and Orlando Bloom in particular did an excellent job playing their characters. Some sweet action, a great story, and a little humor thrown in make this one of my favorite Disney movies.

Favorite character: Jack Sparrow

Favorite quote:
Jack Sparrow: The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do. For instance, you can accept that your father was a pirate and a good man or you can't. But pirate is in your blood, boy, so you'll have to square with that some day. And me, for example, I can let you drown, but I can't bring this ship into Tortuga all by me onesies, savvy? So, can you sail under the command of a pirate, or can you not?

Favorite scene: Jack Vs. Barbossa

Favorite song off soundtrack: He's A Pirate

marker
02-28-2014, 11:32 AM
:tpaper:man your gonna hate were it is on this list then :lol:

ravenheart
02-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Geoffrey Bush

:hecho:

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-28-2014, 12:04 PM
:hecho:

Small grammatical error, don't have a cow.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
22.Transformers
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Transformers07.jpg

Released In 2007

There only two things I want to say about this movie: 1) it's a whole two hours and fifteen minutes of non-stop fun, and 2) Bumblebee made me decide that the 1979 Camaro is the coolest car in the world.

Favorite character: Bumblebee

Favorite quote:
Optimus Prime: With the All Spark gone, we cannot return life to our planet. And fate has yielded its reward: a new world to call home. We live among its people now, hiding in plain sight, but watching over them in secret, waiting, protecting. I have witnessed their capacity for courage, and though we are worlds apart, like us, there's more to them than meets the eye. I am Optimus Prime, and I send this message to any surviving Autobots taking refuge among the stars. We are here. We are waiting.

Favorite scene: Bumblebee Vs. Barricade

Favorite song off soundtrack: No Sacrifice, No Victory

ravenheart
02-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Small grammatical error, don't have a cow.

Missing a comma out is a small grammatical error. Getting someone's name wrong in what is apparently one of your favourite movies series is just dumb. As is not knowing the difference between grammar and spelling.

ravenheart
02-28-2014, 12:40 PM
any of the Christopher Nolan Batman films (in particular, "Dark Knight")

This. The Dark Knight makes my top 10, I think.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Missing a comma out is a small grammatical error. Getting someone's name wrong in what is apparently one of your favourite movies series is just dumb. As is not knowing the difference between grammar and spelling.

It's one freakin' letter dude, I made a mistake, DEAL WITH IT.

AnthG
02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
22.Transformers

I thought you were cool man...

Could be worse I guess. Like, Revenge of the Fallen worse.

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-28-2014, 02:42 PM
I thought you were cool man...

Could be worse I guess. Like, Revenge of the Fallen worse.

Revenge Of The Fallen was the worst movie sequel I've ever seen.

John The Drummer
02-28-2014, 02:59 PM
I thought both sequels were better than the first movie....... :eyes:

ImmortalEmperor
02-28-2014, 03:19 PM
This list needs some Harold Ramis.

Dextrimental
02-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Pirates of the Carribean rules!

Not too keen on the Transformers films, that first one is the best though. They get progressively and impressively shittier as they go on then.

XDoomsayerX
02-28-2014, 06:12 PM
22.Transformers
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Transformers07.jpg

Released In 2007

There only two things I want to say about this movie: 1) it's a whole two hours and fifteen minutes of non-stop fun, and 2) Bumblebee made me decide that the 1979 Camaro is the coolest car in the world.

Favorite character: Bumblebee

Favorite quote:
Optimus Prime: With the All Spark gone, we cannot return life to our planet. And fate has yielded its reward: a new world to call home. We live among its people now, hiding in plain sight, but watching over them in secret, waiting, protecting. I have witnessed their capacity for courage, and though we are worlds apart, like us, there's more to them than meets the eye. I am Optimus Prime, and I send this message to any surviving Autobots taking refuge among the stars. We are here. We are waiting.

Favorite scene: Bumblebee Vs. Barricade

Favorite song off soundtrack: No Sacrifice, No Victory

Transformers on a best movie ever list.

-_______________-

With that being said I cant to see your top 10

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-01-2014, 08:47 AM
21.X-Men
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/XMen1poster.jpg

Released In 2000

X-Men have always been my favorite group of superheroes. You got Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Beast, Iceman, Nightcrawler, and Wolverine (my favorite superhero of all-time), just to name a few of the most awesome ones. The first movie I saw in the series was Last Stand, and I actually didn't watch the first two until after I saw X-Men: First Class. To be honest I love all of the ones I've seen, including X-Men: Origins, but the first one stands out by me as the best. The star of all of them really (except for First Class) is definitely Hugh Jackman, who is the absolute BEST person they could have picked to play Wolverine. With great superhero action and a classic story of good vs. evil, this definitely stands out as one of the best superhero movies for me.

Favorite character: Logan/Wolverine

Favorite quote:
[commenting on the X-Men uniforms]
Wolverine: You actually go outside in these things?
Cyclops: Well, what would you prefer? Yellow spandex?

Favorite scene: Final battle

Favorite song off soundtrack: actually never heard this ones soundtrack, I'm not even sure if one was released.

Dextrimental
03-01-2014, 09:08 AM
21.X-Men

Released In 2000

X-Men have always been my favorite group of superheroes. You got Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Beast, Iceman, Nightcrawler, and Wolverine (my favorite superhero of all-time), just to name a few of the most awesome ones. The first movie I saw in the series was Last Stand, and I actually didn't watch the first two until after I saw X-Men: First Class. To be honest I love all of the ones I've seen, including X-Men: Origins, but the first one stands out by me as the best. The star of all of them really (except for First Class) is definitely Hugh Jackman, who is the absolute BEST person they could have picked to play Wolverine. With great superhero action and a classic story of good vs. evil, this definitely stands out as one of the best superhero movies for me.

Favorite quote:

Favorite song off soundtrack: actually never heard this ones soundtrack, I'm not even sure if one was released.

I really enjoy these movies, though they're a little wide of the mark from the source material.

You'll grow out of loving Wolverine. I don't mean that in a 'you're a kid!' sort of way, just that when you delve deeper into comic books and characters, Wolverine feels a little bland and you get sick of him being in every story.

adamclark52
03-01-2014, 09:39 AM
I thought the first X-Men was fantastic, albeit a little dated now. One could argue that it got the ball rolling on the current trend of comic book movies.

I really liked the second one more. I know nothing about Nightcrawler but I really felt for him in that movie.

The third...yeah.

I liked Wolverine the movie too. But it needed more Deadpool/Ryan Rynolds. Thats as many of the movies I've seen.

AnthG
03-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Which Wolverine movie? The newer one or the Xmen: Origins one? I haven't seen the latter, but i've heard...not so great things. Oh, and i'm not a comic book fan, but who Ryan Reynolds played wasn't Deadpool. They may have called him Deadpool/Wade Wilson, but it wasn't him.

adamclark52
03-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Which Wolverine movie? The newer one or the Xmen: Origins one? I haven't seen the latter, but i've heard...not so great things. Oh, and i'm not a comic book fan, but who Ryan Reynolds played wasn't Deadpool. They may have called him Deadpool/Wade Wilson, but it wasn't him.

The first Wolverine movie.

It was good, and having to follow X-Men 3 didn't hurt it. I didn't even know there was another Wolverine movie until I saw a cut-out of it in a theatre I was in last summer. And I heard First Class was really good but I just never got to it.

I'm no comic book guy either but I really like X-Men. It goes back to that awesome cartoon from the early nineties.

adamclark52
03-01-2014, 10:15 AM
21.X-Men

Released In 2000

Favorite quote:

No. No, he's not.

http://hilobrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/danzig.jpg

powerslave_85
03-01-2014, 10:24 AM
I hope someday they do the proper Deadpool movie that's been teased and hinted at for so long.

AnthG
03-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Fox has the film rights to Deadpool, and based on what I know about the character any Deadpool movie to truly work would have to be R-rated. So we'll see if they're willing to do that.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-01-2014, 12:01 PM
20.First Blood
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/First_blood_poster.jpg

Released In 1982

When I first watched Rambo, I instantly loved it. I love the story of having a lone Marine fighting against a huge group of soldiers. Sylvester Sallone does a great job in this movie, and the movie as a whole has proved to be one my favorite action movies of all-time.

Favorite character: Rambo

Favorite quote:
Teasle: Are you telling me that 200 of our men against your boy is a no-win situation for us?
Trautman: You send that many, don't forget one thing.
Teasle: What?
Trautman: A good supply of body bags.

Favorite scene: Rambo steals M60 from Army truck

Favorite song off soundtrack: Theme from First Blood

mankvill
03-01-2014, 12:15 PM
hey look a halfway decent movie finally

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130420124403/cosmowright/images/6/61/Kappa.gif

adamclark52
03-01-2014, 12:34 PM
After seeing First Blood mentioned I had to go rewatch some scenes from the 2008 Rambo. I did giggle at a few of the exploding heads (like when the gunman on the boat gets sniped at the end) but holy fuck that shit is awesome.

mastodon421
03-01-2014, 02:43 PM
After seeing First Blood mentioned I had to go rewatch some scenes from the 2008 Rambo. I did giggle at a few of the exploding heads (like when the gunman on the boat gets sniped at the end) but holy fuck that shit is awesome.

First Blood and the 2008 Rambo are the shit. The other two.... not so much.

mankvill
03-01-2014, 02:46 PM
No joke, I think the 2008 Rambo might be the most gory/violent movie ever released in theaters.

adamclark52
03-01-2014, 04:21 PM
No joke, I think the 2008 Rambo might be the most gory/violent movie ever released in theaters.

It's insane. And what's scary is that while the gore is exaggerated, the attacks on the villages aren't too far off the mark.

mastodon421
03-01-2014, 04:49 PM

For a mainstream American movie, absolutely. I'm honestly shocked it was able to get away with an R rating.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-01-2014, 06:44 PM
19.Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Harry_Potter_and_the_Chamber_of_Secrets_movie.jpg

Released In 2002

It's time for another HP inclusion on this list, and this time it's Chamber Of Secrets. This one continues in the HP story just like expected, and, just like the first movie, is almost exactly like the book. I like this one more than the first because it's a little darker and has a more mysterious story. Overall great movie, but there's one thing that annoys me though that I recently find out,*Spoiler Alert* (though I doubt this is needed) and it is that when Harry and Ron read the piece of paper they find in Hermione's hand, they look over one important thing that you can see clearly written on the paper when you pause it: The cry of a rooster can kill the Basilisk. Of course you find out in the book (and deleted scenes) that all of Hagrid's rooster were killed, but no one seeing the movie knows that, so for all they know Harry is just deciding not to read the whole thing and that the whole rest of their task could have been a WHOLE LOT EASIER.

Favorite character: Harry/Hermione

Favorite quote:
Dumbledore: It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices.

Favorite scene: Harry And Ron's meeting with Aragog and his family

Favorite song off soundtrack: Harry's Wondrous World

Dextrimental
03-01-2014, 06:50 PM
19.Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Harry_Potter_and_the_Chamber_of_Secrets_movie.jpg

Released In 2002

It's time for another HP inclusion on this list, and this time it's Chamber Of Secrets. This one continues in the HP story just like expected, and, just like the first movie, is almost exactly like the book. I like this one more than the first because it's a little darker and has a more mysterious story. Overall great movie, but there's one thing that annoys me though that I recently find out,*Spoiler Alert* (though I doubt this is needed) and it is that when Harry and Ron read the piece of paper they find in Hermione's hand, they look over one important thing that you can see clearly written on the paper when you pause it: The cry of a rooster can kill the Basilisk. Of course you find out in the book (and deleted scenes) that all of Hagrid's rooster were killed, but no one seeing the movie knows that, so for all they know Harry is just deciding not to read the whole thing and that the whole rest of their task could have been a WHOLE LOT EASIER.

Favorite character: Harry/Hermione

Favorite quote:
Dumbledore: It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices.

Favorite scene: Harry And Ron's meeting with Aragog and his family

Favorite song off soundtrack: Harry's Wondrous World

Yeah, that bugged the HELL out of me in this film. I mean, why delete a scene that contains information integral to the movie!? One of the stronger HP flicks though, probably my favorite, though they go pretty far down after this one in my view.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Yeah, that bugged the HELL out of me in this film. I mean, why delete a scene that contains information integral to the movie!? One of the stronger HP flicks though, probably my favorite, though they go pretty far down after this one in my view.

Idk, to me if they had to get rid of scenes because of time restraints those shouldn't have been the ones left out. I do have disagree with your last comment though, the next one *hint* gets only better.

Dextrimental
03-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Idk, to me if they had to get rid of scenes because of time restraints those shouldn't have been the ones left out. I do have disagree with your last comment though, the next one *hint* gets only better.

I think they were just badly written for screen to be honest :lol:

Azkaban is pretty okay, Goblet, Pheonix and Half-Blood Prince are sinfully bad though. Deathly Hallows is a really nice one-two punch though.

adamclark52
03-01-2014, 08:23 PM
I could never get in to the Harry Potter movies:
1. Daniel Radcliff is such a terrible actor (especially in the earlier ones, which are to only ones I've seen)
2. It came out at the same time as the Lord of the Rings trilogy and while they're very different...c'mon
3. Daniel Radcliff's acting
4. I worked at a book distributer when it was getting popular and I just didn't want to hear about it anymore
5. Daniel Radcliff's facial expressions
6. The idiot President of the book distributer passed on the Canadian Publishing rights to Harry Potter and we were cutting tons of jobs while Harry Potter was getting popular
7. Daniel Radcliff's face
8. I may have been too old when they came out (in my early twenties)
9. They just sucked
10. Daniel Radcliff

All joking aside, Daniel Radcliff was so terrible in the first movie that it killed the whole series for me. I know he was a child but there are good child actors out there. I did like the third one the first time I saw it because I liked the little twists at the end. But when I watched that movie again I already knew the twists so it was lost to me.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-02-2014, 12:13 PM
1. Daniel Radcliff is such a terrible actor (especially in the earlier ones, which are to only ones I've seen)
2. It came out at the same time as the Lord of the Rings trilogy and while they're very different...c'mon
4. I worked at a book distributer when it was getting popular and I just didn't want to hear about it anymore
6. The idiot President of the book distributer passed on the Canadian Publishing rights to Harry Potter and we were cutting tons of jobs while Harry Potter was getting popular
9. They just sucked
10. Daniel Radcliff

All joking aside, Daniel Radcliff was so terrible in the first movie that it killed the whole series for me. I know he was a child but there are good child actors out there. I did like the third one the first time I saw it because I liked the little twists at the end. But when I watched that movie again I already knew the twists so it was lost to me.

Hmm, odd, I thought he did an amazing job. You should really watch the rest though, you'll probably like the more recent ones

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-02-2014, 12:24 PM
18.Raiders Of The Lost Ark
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/Raiders.jpg

Released In 1981

What can I say, it's Indiana Jones. One of the greatest action/adventure movie heroes of all time. The movie is just a classic that will always be loved.

Favorite character: Indiana Jones

Favorite quote:
Indiana: You want to talk to God? Let's go see him together, I've got nothing better to do.

Favorite scene: Indiana runs from giant boulder

Favorite song off soundtrack: The Raiders March

John The Drummer
03-02-2014, 01:28 PM
9. They just sucked
10. Daniel Radcliff

I always hated that stupid big grin/bite motion he did when he would get super happy...... that's the best way I can describe it :lol:

adamclark52
03-02-2014, 01:52 PM
I always hated that stupid big grin/bite motion he did when he would get super happy...... that's the best way I can describe it :lol:

I know exactly what expression you're thinking about and it's exactly the one that did me in.

ravenheart
03-02-2014, 03:28 PM
9. They just sucked

Yep.

ravenheart
03-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Hmm, odd, I thought he did an amazing job. You should really watch the rest though, you'll probably like the more recent ones

Nah, he's a terrible actor. He's crap in The Woman In Black too.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Nah, he's a terrible actor. He's crap in The Woman In Black too.

Never saw any other movie he did, guess I am not a huge fan of his acting after all :lol: Come to think of it he did annoy me in some parts of the movies for some reason, but I couldn't think of another guy able to play him to be honest.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-02-2014, 04:37 PM
17.The Lion King
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/The_Lion_King_poster.jpg

Released In 1994

Second greatest Disney movie of all-time hands down. So many great characters, Simba, Mufasa, Timon, Pumba, Scar, Rafiki, etc., and an excellent story to back it up. I enjoyed both the others as well, but they are nowhere near as good as this one. A fantastic film that's hard not to enjoy.

Favorite character: Timon/Pumba (if you choose one you almost have to choose the other as well)

Favorite quote:
Adult Simba: I know what I have to do. But going back means I'll have to face my past. I've been running from it for so long.
[Rafiki hits Simba on the head with his stick]
Adult Simba: Ow! Jeez, what was that for?
Rafiki: It doesn't matter. It's in the past.
[laughs]
Adult Simba: Yeah, but it still hurts.
Rafiki: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But from the way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it.

Favorite scene: Simba runs back to pride rock to face Scar

Favorite song off soundtrack: I Just Can't Wait To Be King

ravenheart
03-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Never saw any other movie he did, guess I am not a huge fan of his acting after all :lol: Come to think of it he did annoy me in some parts of the movies for some reason, but I couldn't think of another guy able to play him to be honest.

To be fair, he hasn't done a great deal else. Yet. Just The Woman In Black, and either things no one cares about (The December Boys) or things they can't seem to actually get released (Horns, which looks ridiculous, and The F Word, which looks boring but has Zoe Kazan :drool:).

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 09:24 AM
To be fair, he hasn't done a great deal else. Yet. Just The Woman In Black, and either things no one cares about (The December Boys) or things they can't seem to actually get released (Horns, which looks ridiculous, and The F Word, which looks boring but has Zoe Kazan :drool:).

Very true, though hardly any of the cast of the HP series have done much else.

Natrlhi
03-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Apropos of nothing, I think nearly every movie mentioned thus far in this thread was included in those semi-lame "hero" montages they played during the Oscars last night. :lol:

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 09:37 AM
16.Jurassic Park
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e7/Jurassic_Park_poster.jpg

Released In 1993

When I was in pre-school, dinosaurs were the coolest thing in the world to me. I had tons of books, toys, and DVD's of dinosaurs, and I could name pretty much all of them (and pronounce correctly) at some point. Of course, right before I turned six I saw Return Of The King in theaters and dinos were no longer cool (more on that later). I have in recent years regained at least part of my love for dinosaurs. I can't tell you all of them anymore, and I can hardly pronounce half the ones I do know, but I still think they're cool. This movie right here is an absolute epic movie if your in to dinosaurs even in the slightest. The visual effects are some of the best I've ever seen in a movie, and though not the best in the series IMO, it's a very awesome movie that will always remain a classic.

Favorite character: Dr. Alan Grant (made me want to become an paleontologist when I was a kid)

Favorite quote:
John Hammond: All major theme parks have delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

Favorite scene: T-Rex breakout

Favorite song off soundtrack: Theme From Jurassic Park

Dextrimental
03-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Now we're talking classic films! Lion King, Jurassic Park and Rambo are all awesome films.

adamclark52
03-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I think if I was in my early teens a lot of these would be my favorite movies too. I doubt I'd be able to grasp Begotten or Memento then.

And again, you really need to read the Jurassic Park novel.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 11:04 AM
I think if I was in my early teens a lot of these would be my favorite movies too. I doubt I'd be able to grasp Begotten or Memento then.

And again, you really need to read the Jurassic Park novel.

I'll soon have a whole library's worth of books to read thanks to you :lol:

Jokes aside I really want to read all the books to the movies I watch, I only usually wanna read a book if I got a good visual on it. Maybe I'll do a top ten books thread or something like that next...

XDoomsayerX
03-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Here we go, much respect to those last two picks. :fist:

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 11:17 AM
15.Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Harry_Potter_and_the_Prisoner_of_Azkaban_poster.pn g

Released In 2004

The next HP movie to make my list (fourth overall) is the third installment, Prisoner Of Azkaban. Not only is this one of the best HP films, it's also wanna my favorite books I've ever read. The movie has overall more darker theme than the previous two, making it all that much more awesome. So many good plot twists in this movie, especially regarding Serious Black (what a freakin' cool name). The dementors are another reason why this movie is extremely awesome as well. This movie was almost perfectly done, except for one very important thing (like the last one): The audience never knows how he escaped! Sure in the book you find out, but if you never read the books then you're left really puzzled (of course that could have been use as an incentive to make movie-goers read the book, but still).

Favorite character: Harry Potter/Hermione

Favorite quote:
Professor Snape: [taps the blank Marauder's Map with his wand] Reveal your secrets.
[writing appears on the map]
Professor Snape: Read it.
Harry: "Messrs. Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs, offer their compliments to Professor Snape and... "
Professor Snape: Go on.
Harry: "... and request that he keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business."

Favorite scene: Harry defends Serious and himself from dementors

Favorite song off soundtrack: Buckbeak's Flight

AnthG
03-03-2014, 12:21 PM
I won't lie, I saw Return of the King when I was 15 in theatres and I fell asleep. If I saw that movie when I was 6 i'd want out after 20 minutes.

SomewhereInTime72
03-03-2014, 12:44 PM
It'd make your list smaller, but personally I would just count the HP series as one item on my list if I were making one. :tongue:

As a note though, I watched/read everything in the HP series and enjoyed it all, but never did I actually consider anything legitimately "good." :eyes:

mankvill
03-03-2014, 12:47 PM
I won't lie, I saw Return of the King when I was 15 in theatres and I fell asleep..

the fuck

AnthG
03-03-2014, 01:52 PM
You see the film was very boring, so I fell asleep. Or maybe it was Two Towers, which was actually the most "enjoyable" of the trilogy. Yeah, i'm not a Lord of the Rings fan.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 02:02 PM
You see the film was very boring, so I fell asleep. Or maybe it was Two Towers, which was actually the most "enjoyable" of the trilogy. Yeah, i'm not a Lord of the Rings fan.

OUT OF HERE NOW!
:flame: :mad: :bouville: :hmm: :fight: :foaming: :chair:

Those that don't like Lotr movies either a) have no imagination, b) have no care for a good story and think the movie is boring if it doesn't have an action scene in the first ten minutes, or c) haven't seen them. Since you have obviously have seen them, is your situation a) or b)? :tp:

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 02:37 PM
14.Toy Story
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Toy_Story.jpg

Released In 1995

Toy Story is by no comparison, the best movie Disney has ever made. A great light-hearted story filled with humor, this movie is the best animated movie in history IMO.

Favorite character: Buzz Lightyear

Favorite quote:
Buzz: [Woody, scared, walks backwards and he gets startled by Buzz. Buzz keeps talking to his "mission log"] And according to my navi-computer, the...
Woody: [whispers] SHUT UP! Just shut up, you idiot!
Buzz: Sheriff, this is no time to panic.
Woody: This is a perfect time to panic! I'm lost, Andy is gone, they're gonna move to their new house in two days, and it's all your fault!
Buzz: My... My fault? If you hadn't pushed me out of the window in the first place...
Woody: Oh, yeah? Well, if *you* hadn't shown up with your stupid little cardboard spaceship and taken away everything that was important to me...
Buzz: Don't talk to me about importance! Because of *you*, the future of this entire universe is in jeopardy!
Woody: What? What are you talkin' about?
Buzz: Right now, poised at the edge of the galaxy, Emperor Zurg has been secretly building a weapon with the destructive capacity to annihilate an entire planet! I alone have information that reveals this weapon's only weakness. And *you*, my friend, are responsible for delaying my rendezvous with Star Command!
Woody: [pauses] YOU ARE A *TOY*! You aren't the real Buzz Lightyear! You're - you're an action figure!
[holds hand up to eyes indicating something small]
Woody: You are a child's play thing!
Buzz: You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.
[waves in military fashion]
Buzz: Farewell.
[starts to walk away]
Woody: Oh, yeah? Well, good riddance, ya loony!
[grumbles]
Woody: Rendezvous with Star Command.

Favorite scene: The toys first meet Buzz

Favorite song off soundtrack: You've Got A Friend In Me

kalfitegrdan
03-03-2014, 02:48 PM
It'd make your list smaller, but personally I would just count the HP series as one item on my list if I were making one. :tongue:

As a note though, I watched/read everything in the HP series and enjoyed it all, but never did I actually consider anything legitimately "good." :eyes:

Yeah, all of this. You could just condense all the HPs into one and you'd have room for, like, seven more interesting entries.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Yeah, all of this. You could just condense all the HPs into one and you'd have room for, like, seven more interesting entries.

See there's no way I would want all the HP series put into one spot, some are drastically better than others (like Azkaban over Half-Blood). I never liked the idea of condensing things like this anyway.

Dextrimental
03-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Those that don't like Lotr movies either a) have no imagination, b) have no care for a good story and think the movie is boring if it doesn't have an action scene in the first ten minutes, or c) haven't seen them. Since you have obviously have seen them, is your situation a) or b)? :tp:

Or indulgent film-making isn't his bag? LotR is one of the most indulgent film series ever, and the story is pretty flimsy too. People are allowed dislike the film series, it's very flawed.

Anyway, Toy Story rules, hard.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Or indulgent film-making isn't his bag? LotR is one of the most indulgent film series ever, and the story is pretty flimsy too. People are allowed dislike the film series,

No, no their not.

it's very flawed.

This is the worst statement in history.

Not to mention he is seriously the only person I've ever heard of to watch the series and not like it (I'm not joking here, everyone I know loves this series except the few who haven't watched it).

AnthG
03-03-2014, 04:27 PM
OUT OF HERE NOW!
:flame: :mad: :bouville: :hmm: :fight: :foaming: :chair:

I guess a? I've watched and enjoyed movies that some people say are boring, so I guess it just depends on the story. I also like baseball, so there's that.

Also, does Toy Story really count as a Disney film? Disney Animation studios didn't do it, Pixar did. Disney only really handles the marketing and distribution. Yeah they own the company now, but they also own Marvel Studios, and I wouldn't call any of the marvel cinematic Universe "Disney movies".

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 05:18 PM
I guess a? I've watched and enjoyed movies that some people say are boring, so I guess it just depends on the story. I also like baseball, so there's that.

Also, does Toy Story really count as a Disney film? Disney Animation studios didn't do it, Pixar did. Disney only really handles the marketing and distribution. Yeah they own the company now, but they also own Marvel Studios, and I wouldn't call any of the marvel cinematic Universe "Disney movies".

lol, it's cool, just don't be dissin' anything LOTR related in my presence (you can bag on my glam anytime you want and I won't care, but when it comes to LOTR, things can get ugly :flame:)

And if it's not counted as a Disney film, then that makes Lion King the best Disney film. I've always considered Toy Story Disney though.

Dextrimental
03-03-2014, 05:36 PM
No, no their not.

This is the worst statement in history.

Not to mention he is seriously the only person I've ever heard of to watch the series and not like it (I'm not joking here, everyone I know loves this series except the few who haven't watched it).

Yes, THEY are.

And no it's not. They are flawed. The pacing for Two Towers and Return of the King is stilted, Fellowship is a total bore for the first half, the amount of sweeping land shots is just ridiculous, special effects haven't aged all that well and the side-stories become confusing in the second half of the trilogy. I happen to really enjoy the films, but they are flawed.

Please, please remember that because you haven't encountered anyone who doesn't like something doesn't mean they don't exist and that their opinion isn't valid.

Carry on.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Yes, THEY are.

And no it's not. They are flawed. The pacing for Two Towers and Return of the King is stilted, Fellowship is a total bore for the first half, the amount of sweeping land shots is just ridiculous, special effects haven't aged all that well and the side-stories become confusing in the second half of the trilogy. I happen to really enjoy the films, but they are flawed.

Please, please remember that because you haven't encountered anyone who doesn't like something doesn't mean they don't exist and that their opinion isn't valid.

Carry on.

Everything in the this paragraph is opposite in my opinion, there's only two VERY minor flaws they have in my opinion (one throughout the course of all three, one just in Return Of The King). I for one don't believe there's ever been a movie to capture fantasy effects better than these films. The pacing is just perfect for me, first half of Fellowship is what makes it a movie that cares about developing a good background for the story that is ahead, sweeping land shots are epic no matter what (I wanna see as much as possible of that New Zealand landscape), and I would hardly consider the side-stories confusing, I was able to understand them almost instantly when I was five so don't know how that logic works.

Don't want to start a war here, but if there's one thing about me you gotta know is that if you bring up Lotr in any way, shape, or form, I'm going to turn it into a hour long discussion either enjoying it with you or trying prove to you that it is a perfect movie series (no matter if I know you'll never agree with me or not).

Dextrimental
03-03-2014, 08:08 PM
:lol:

Alright, on you go.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 08:36 PM
13.The Karate Kid
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Karate_kid.jpg

Released In 1984

I was a very lame dude and saw the remake of this movie first. After I saw it, it proved to be pretty good, but I thought as a karate movie it could have been better. So one day my Uncle let me borrow his Karate Kid and I watched the original for the first time in full, and I was amazed. Some pretty fun fight scenes, an incredible story, and a superb performance from Ralph Macchio and Noriyuki Morita. Not to mention there's a Survivor song on here :rocker:.

Favorite character: Daniel LaRusso

Favorite quote:
Daniel: Hey, what kind of belt do you have?
Miyagi: Canvas. JC Penney, $3.98. You like?
Daniel: [laughs] No, I meant...
Miyagi: In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope to hold up pants.
[laughs; then, seriously]
Miyagi: Daniel-san...
[taps his head]
Miyagi: Karate here.
[taps his heart]
Miyagi: Karate here.
[points to his belt]
Miyagi: Karate never here. Understand?

Favorite scene: Miyagi takes down Johnny and his gang

Favorite song off soundtrack: The Moment Of Truth

RAZOR
03-03-2014, 09:18 PM
I just could not get into the Harry Potter movies. Or the books either for that matter.

kalfitegrdan
03-03-2014, 09:23 PM
See there's no way I would want all the HP series put into one spot, some are drastically better than others (like Azkaban over Half-Blood). I never liked the idea of condensing things like this anyway.

Just condense it to one number on the list and then rank the movies individually in that post. Simple as that. That's way better than clogging up a "Top 30 Movies" list with eight movies from the same series. Especially with a shitty movie series like Harry Potter.

XDoomsayerX
03-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Just condense it to one number on the list and then rank the movies individually in that post. Simple as that. That's way better than clogging up a "Top 30 Movies" list with eight movies from the same series. Especially with a shitty movie series like Harry Potter.

Pretty much this, not dissing the Potter movies since I dig em but cmon if your making a Top 30 movie list just put HP movies as one set.

That being said Toy Story is a beyond amazing Pixar film. :D

adamclark52
03-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Toy Story was great but I think I liked Toy Story 2 a little more. I haven't see the third one all the way through.

ravenheart
03-04-2014, 06:02 AM
I won't lie, I saw Return of the King when I was 15 in theatres and I fell asleep. If I saw that movie when I was 6 i'd want out after 20 minutes.

The LOTR trilogy is superb. Any denial of that is plain wrong (i.e. a comment on its quality, not on whether or not a particular person enjoys it).

BUT the "triple ending" of ROTK is annoying and unnecessary. The first time I saw it I enjoyed it, but after the second fade-out of three I was like "just fucking end."

These days it is not uncommon for me to watch all three extended versions over the course of a weekend. I say "not uncommon", it is uncommon for me to have a weekend that empty, but when I do decide to watch a LOTR movie, I tend to watch all three.

adamclark52
03-04-2014, 08:13 AM
The LOTR trilogy is superb. Any denial of that is plain wrong (i.e. a comment on its quality, not on whether or not a particular person enjoys it).

BUT the "triple ending" of ROTK is annoying and unnecessary. The first time I saw it I enjoyed it, but after the second fade-out of three I was like "just fucking end."

These days it is not uncommon for me to watch all three extended versions over the course of a weekend. I say "not uncommon", it is uncommon for me to have a weekend that empty, but when I do decide to watch a LOTR movie, I tend to watch all three.

I agree, as much as I loved Return of the King by the end (of the third "ending") I was like, "just end it already, I can't handle this anymore".

I thought the best ending would've just been after the ring is gone where Frodo and Sam are sitting on a Rock island just before the Eagles get them. It wouldn't have worked because there was still so much story to close out. But that image of them exhausted, beaten but victorious was beautiful.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-04-2014, 11:02 AM

I agree with you slightly on the ending thing, but there were two story lines that had to come to a close and Peter Jackson wanted the film to end just like the book did. They get tiring, but it's overall not a huge problem for me. I usually will watch all three extended editions three days in a row each month (sometimes I'll won't for like a month or two).

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Pretty much this, not dissing the Potter movies since I dig em but cmon if your making a Top 30 movie list just put HP movies as one set.

That being said Toy Story is a beyond amazing Pixar film. :D

there's two HP movies not going to be featured in this list, so that would not be a thing I would consider. Not to mention there's really only two or three other movies I've watched that could make this list IMO.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-04-2014, 11:32 AM
12.Harry Potter And Deathly Hallows, Part 1
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows_%E2%80%93_Par t_1.jpg

Released In 2010

I know I'm gonna get some hate for not combining both this and part 2 as one, but one is significantly better than the other. The reason I believe this is the lesser of the two is because even though this movie is freakin' awesome, it feels to much like the prelude that it is. I'm glad they split the movies though, meant more could be put into them. This is when a lot of the story of Voldemort and Harry's past is revealed, and the journey of Harry, Ron, and Hermione is a fantastically done one. Overall a very great movie, but with the drawback of being more of an opening act to the main event.

Favorite character: Hermione/Harry

Favorite quote:
Bellatrix Lestrange: You stupid elf! You could have killed me!
Dobby the House Elf: Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim, or seriously injure!

Favorite scene: Dobby saves Harry and the gang

Favorite song off soundtrack: Obliviate

XDoomsayerX
03-04-2014, 11:52 AM
there's two HP movies not going to be featured in this list, so that would not be a thing I would consider. Not to mention there's really only two or three other movies I've watched that could make this list IMO.

Hey man ya dont need to put IMO of course it's your opinion

Also hey look another HP movie haha

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Hey man ya dont need to put IMO of course it's your opinion

Also hey look another HP movie haha

It's a habit.

One more HP film left.... but were will it be?

kalfitegrdan
03-04-2014, 04:16 PM
It's a habit.

One more HP film left.... but were will it be?

Hopefully not on the list.

dcmetal108
03-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Hopefully not on the list.

So is this list pretty much the entire HP series, all the LOTR movies and most of the Star Wars?

kalfitegrdan
03-05-2014, 12:41 AM

So is this list pretty much the entire HP series, all the LOTR movies and most of the Star Wars?

Only one Star Wars he said and it was a prequel because he's a terrible person.

dcmetal108
03-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Only one Star Wars he said and it was a prequel because he's a terrible person.

:flame::flame:

ravenheart
03-05-2014, 05:38 AM
This list makes one thing very clear. You REALLY need to watch more movies.

AnthG
03-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Maybe he has seen all the movies we all love, and just hates them.

kalfitegrdan
03-05-2014, 07:38 AM

This statement is bothersome. You need to watch more movies, man. I could easily do a top 100 on best movies and still not include a bunch of movies I love.

Natrlhi
03-05-2014, 08:26 AM
This statement is bothersome. You need to watch more movies, man. I could easily do a top 100 on best movies and still not include a bunch of movies I love.I could easily do a top 100 on best movies and still not include most of the movies mentioned on this list thus far.

OK, maybe two thirds of them, anyway.

Good stuff from this list that might make my Top 100:

Iron Man
First Blood (although I might pick the first Rambo instead)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jurassic Park
Toy Story

But than again, it's his list, not mine. Also, it's a list of personal favorites, not "best films". Big difference.

Anyways, carry on. I'm still curious to see what the best of the best includes.

But yeah. Dude needs to watch more movies. :D

AnthG
03-05-2014, 08:36 AM
But than again, it's his list, not mine. Also, it's a list of personal favorites, not "best films". Big difference.

I think people sometimes go out of their way too much to distinguish between the two. Even when people put together a list of what the "best films" are, the main factor is still what that person enjoyed more than the others. Yeah, there are some wild ones that you might consider a "favourite" that's definitely not a "good" film (Such as the "so bad it's good" films), but even "best" films are mainly decided by what that person prefers over others.

ravenheart
03-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Jurassic Park
Toy Story

:fist:

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 09:24 AM
This list makes one thing very clear. You REALLY need to watch more movies.

Yea, I really do. I watch a lot of movies but I rarely come across one that I think is top 30 movie worthy. I can't even begin to think of how hard it would be to make a top 100 movie list, that would be like twenty movies at least that are average in my book.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 09:26 AM
I could easily do a top 100 on best movies and still not include most of the movies mentioned on this list thus far.

OK, maybe two thirds of them, anyway.

Good stuff from this list that might make my Top 100:

Iron Man
First Blood (although I might pick the first Rambo instead)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jurassic Park
Toy Story

Anyways, carry on. I'm still curious to see what the best of the best includes.

But yeah. Dude needs to watch more movies. :D
Um, First Blood is the first Rambo movie.

ravenheart
03-05-2014, 09:36 AM

Maybe he means the first one that was actually called Rambo?

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 09:38 AM
11.The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/12/Catching-Fire_poster.jpg

Released In 2013

The first Hunger Games was awesome, one of the movies I had to decide to keep off the list. Catching Fire though, was almost 5x better. Incredible acting, loads of action, and filled with suspense all the way through, Catching Fire just barely misses the top ten because of one thing: I wanted more. Add this and the first one to the list of books I have to read as well.

Favorite character: Katniss

Favorite quote:
Haymitch Abernathy: [Stops Katniss from her assault] So it's you and a syringe against the Capitol? See, this is why no one lets you make the plans.

Favorite scene: Katniss ends the games

Favorite song off soundtrack: Who We Are (overall was not a fan of this soundtrack at all)

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 09:39 AM

yea your probably right, didn't think of that.

ravenheart
03-05-2014, 09:40 AM
First Blood is actually pretty out of place on your list. It's a boy movie ;)

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 10:01 AM
First Blood is actually pretty out of place on your list. It's a boy movie ;)

:lol:, guess your right about that one, not like anything else on the list.

Dextrimental
03-05-2014, 10:19 AM
I really got to see Catching Fire. Didn't think Hunger Games was bad at all, and I loved the world created.

XDoomsayerX
03-05-2014, 10:25 AM

Shouldn't these be the same, I mean you'd pick best movies depending on your taste.

Also damn another book adaption, yeah nig go watch some Nolan, Tarantino, Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, etc... movies.

AnthG
03-05-2014, 11:21 AM

You mean Rambo: First Blood II which is the 2nd movie in the series?

Seriously, the Rambo titles never made any fucking sense at all.

First Blood
Rambo: First Blood II
Rambo III
Rambo

Stallone didn't make the same mistake with the Rocky movies, so he obviously knows how to count. So I don't know what the reasoning behind these titles are.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 11:25 AM
10.Jurassic Park III
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/JP3.jpg

Released In 2001

I saw this movie when it was first released in theaters, and it brought my dinosaur love to whole a level. I don't see why a lot of people didn't like this movie, because to me it's the best one because it's more survival based. But come on, T-Rex vs. Spinosaurus (my favorite dino), how much more epic can you get? One thing I hate about this movie is the character Amanda, she's so freakin annoying.

Favorite character: Dr. Alan Grant

Favorite quote:
Amanda: This is how you make dinosaurs?
Dr. Grant: No, this is how you play God.

Favorite scene: T-Rex vs. Spinosaurus

Favorite song off soundtrack: The Hat Returns - End Credits

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 11:28 AM

First Blood
Rambo III
Rambo

Stallone didn't make the same mistake with the Rocky movies, so he obviously knows how to count. So I don't know what the reasoning behind these titles are.

I think either the first one should have been titled Rambo: First Blood or the second one just titled First Blood II. The newer one should have had a more creative title. I've only seen the first one though, cause I was told the rest sucked.

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Shouldn't these be the same, I mean you'd pick best movies depending on your taste.

Also damn another book adaption, yeah nig go watch some Nolan, Tarantino, Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, etc... movies.

No, I don't think they're the same at all. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan. I can say that Final Fantasy VII is the "best" game in the series. It encompases all the good traits, took the series to another Ievel and brought the series a wider audience. But it's not my favorite.

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 12:02 PM

First Blood
Rambo III
Rambo

Maybe there was never an intent to make Rambo into a series?

But the title of the second one is stupid; either Rambo II or First Blood II would've made more sense. Then again, First Blood II makes no sense in and of itself. Kinda like calling the forth movie in a series "the Final Chapter" then having ten more sequels.

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 12:03 PM
I think either the first one should have been titled Rambo: First Blood or the second one just titled First Blood II. The newer one should have had a more creative title. I've only seen the first one though, cause I was told the rest sucked.

Just knowing very little about you from this board, I would advise against you watching the latest Rambo.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Just knowing very little about you from this board, I would advise against you watching the latest Rambo.

I will take your word on it, I hate excessive gore.

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 12:17 PM
I will take your word on it, I hate excessive gore.

Excessive gore is just the start of it.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Excessive gore is just the start of it.

Figured as much

AnthG
03-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Maybe there was never an intent to make Rambo into a series?

But the title of the second one is stupid; either Rambo II or First Blood II would've made more sense. Then again, First Blood II makes no sense in and of itself. Kinda like calling the forth movie in a series "the Final Chapter" then having ten more sequels.

Lol Friday the 13th

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 12:31 PM
9.The Avengers
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/TheAvengers2012Poster.jpg

Released In 2012

The Avengers is the best superhero movie of all-time, I'm declaring that right now. To me it's just THE superhero movie. You have so many great superheroes on here, all played by a phenomenal cast (Robert Downey, Samuel L. Jackson, and Clark Gregg among my personnel favorites). All that plus having stellar action scenes make this a movie I will be watching for a LONG time.

Favorite character: Iron Man/Black Widow (can't decide)

Favorite quote:
Loki: Enough! You are, all of you are beneath me! I am a god, you dull creature, and I will not be bullied by...
[Hulk flattens Loki with repeated smashes into the floor]
The Hulk: Puny god.

Favorite scene: Hulk smashes Loki

Favorite song off soundtrack: The Avengers

Natrlhi
03-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Bingo.

:lol:, guess your right about that one, not like anything else on the list.Whoosh!

I've only seen the first one though, cause I was told the rest sucked.The second movie was a blockbuster in theaters - it grossed twice as much as the first movie both domestically (~$150M) and worldwide (~$300M). This is presumably based in large part on the success of the first movie, plus the rabid anticipation on the part of movie fans for a sequel to finally be made that featured John Rambo in his true element - the jungles of Vietnam. To me, it was even more exciting than the first movie, where Rambo was more of a victim of circumstance, wheras in the second movie he was a trainer killer who was let out of his cage for a very specific purpose (which was, of course, to kick as much ass and blow as much shit up as humanly possible :D).

EDIT: Speaking of action movies, very few of them would actually make my "Best Movies Evar" list (although I've definitely enjoyed more than my fair share of them over the years), but if your list doesn't include "Predator" and / or "Alien" / "Aliens" then I'm going to reach through the internet and slap the shit out of you. Just so you know.

AnthG
03-05-2014, 01:18 PM
The Avengers is the best superhero movie of all-time, I'm declaring that right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_(film)

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 01:26 PM
The Avengers is the best superhero movie of all-time, I'm declaring that right now.

Wow, I can't wait to read the reactions to that comment.

I honestly didn't care for it much at all, aside from Thors parts. But I just saw it for the first time last month so I had been hearing for over a year how great it was. My expectations were so high. But I can think of five better superhero movies with out having to even...think...about it.

Natrlhi
03-05-2014, 01:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_(film)You are correct, sir!

In fact, we would have accepted any of the Nolan series of Batman films.

We would also have accepted "X-Men: First Class".

Thanks for playing.

EDIT:

I can think of five better superhero movies with out having to even...think...about it.So what's the fifth movie? ;)

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 01:37 PM
You are correct, sir!

We would also have accepted "X-Men: First Class".

Thanks for playing.

EDIT:

So what's the fifth movie? ;)

The first two X-Men, the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises (I saw Batman Begins but I don't remember too much) and the first Tim Burton Batman.

I did like the first Thor one and the first Wolverine one too.

Natrlhi
03-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Have you not seen "X-Men: First Class"? It's clearly the best of the bunch, if you ask me.

Have you seen the second "Thor" movie? I liked it quite a bit more than the first (although neither would make my list).

Which Wolverine movie are you referring to? The "X-Men Origins" one? I thought it was just OK, but I've heard a lot of folks say the most recent one was much better (again, neither would make my all-time list, but...).

...and finally, I loved Nicholson's take on the Joker in the first Burton version, and Keaton was OK, but the tone of the film was just too cartoonish for me - especially in hindsight now that the Nolan series exists. That's what Batman should be like.

BloodoftheKings
03-05-2014, 02:02 PM

The Dark Knight Rises is an unacceptable answer.

Natrlhi
03-05-2014, 02:05 PM
The Dark Knight Rises is an unacceptable answer.It has its flaws, but it was still better than "The Avengers".

Plus, Hardy's take on Bane would have been nearly legendary if it weren't for Ledger's Joker. Admit it.

powerslave_85
03-05-2014, 02:18 PM
The Avengers is my favorite Marvel movie. The Dark Knight is probably my favorite superhero movie. But I think in terms of pure enjoyment, I would put Kick-Ass ahead of both.

Also, I think the Avengers gets a little of bit a of boost because of the degree of difficulty involved. The fact that it wasn't an incoherent disaster is a miracle in and of itself, and the huge gamble Disney made in building a franchise around it counts for something, I think.

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Have you not seen "X-Men: First Class"? It's clearly the best of the bunch, if you ask me.

Have you seen the second "Thor" movie? I liked it quite a bit more than the first (although neither would make my list).

Which Wolverine movie are you referring to? The "X-Men Origins" one? I thought it was just OK, but I've heard a lot of folks say the most recent one was much better (again, neither would make my all-time list, but...).

...and finally, I loved Nicholson's take on the Joker in the first Burton version, and Keaton was OK, but the tone of the film was just too cartoonish for me - especially in hindsight now that the Nolan series exists. That's what Batman should be like.

The first Wolverine one. I think the debacle that was X-3 helped it a lot. First Class I've just never gotten around to. And Thor 2 I'll see once it's available for rental or whatever. If it isn't already.

Dextrimental
03-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Also, I think the Avengers gets a little of bit a of boost because of the degree of difficulty involved. The fact that it wasn't an incoherent disaster is a miracle in and of itself, and the huge gamble Disney made in building a franchise around it counts for something, I think.

This. It's not my favorite Superhero film, but objectively, it's easily the most impressive. The new X-Men looks to be almost as daring with the ensemble, and with rumors they're going to attempt the Age of Apocalypse, things could reach even more dizzyness heights of epic.

My favorite comic book movie is Dredd, though.

Natrlhi
03-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Also, I think the Avengers gets a little of bit a of boost because of the degree of difficulty involved. The fact that it wasn't an incoherent disaster is a miracle in and of itself, and the huge gamble Disney made in building a franchise around it counts for something, I think.Not sure about the second part of the comment, but I can't argue with the first half. It's amazing it wasn't a totally awful mess.

Just to be clear, I did like "The Avengers" a great deal. It's probably my fifth favorite over the others I've mentioned - I was just having some fun at the OP's expense making the point that it's not the greatest superhero movie of all time as far as I'm concerned. :D

I still have fond memories of the two scenes involving Hulk (the first where he beats Loki like a ragdoll and the second where he roars Stark back to consciousness at the very end of the movie) when I saw "Avengers" in the theater for the first time. I had my then six-year-old son with me, and we and everybody else in the (packed) theater just bust out laughing at those two scenes. Priceless - and impressive that a movie that's 99% based on action could still have moments like that in it as well.

ravenheart
03-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Wait a minute, wait a goddamn minute.

Did you just put Jurassic Park III ABOVE Jurassic Park? Are you fucking high?

mankvill
03-05-2014, 03:25 PM

god damn jurassic park 3 was one of the worst/most disappointing movies I've ever seen

Dextrimental
03-05-2014, 04:11 PM
It has its flaws, but it was still better than "The Avengers".

Plus, Hardy's take on Bane would have been nearly legendary if it weren't for Ledger's Joker. Admit it.

Also, this.

Heath's Ledger death has caused a great performance to be immortalized when a just as good performance will always be second place.

larvtard
03-05-2014, 04:26 PM
I wonder how many things on here have passed the Bechdel test......

mankvill
03-05-2014, 04:58 PM
I wonder how many things on here have passed the Bechdel test......

the last reason a lot of these movies aren't good is hardly because of this

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 07:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_(film)

Never was a batman fan, enjoyed the movies, but overall he isn't superhero enough for me (no super powers really if you think about it, which is probably why most people like him in the first place). Great movies for action movies, but I don't like DC hardly at all though.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 07:03 PM

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-05-2014, 07:43 PM
8.School Of Rock
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/School_of_Rock_Poster.jpg

Released In 2003

This movie is, in essence, the perfect movie for me. First off you have Jack Black, who brings a great level of humor to the movie, then you have an awesome story that can remind us all what true rock is about (cutting loose and having a great time, and not letting anyone else take control of you), all backed by an awesome classic rock filled soundtrack. Being like seven years old when I watched this movie, I could totally relate to it. It wasn't the kids I was relating to either, it was Dewey, because I felt (and still feel to some degree) that all my friends around me were only interested in pop and hip hop (not attacking these genres in anyway) and needed to be schooled in rock. Considering at that time I was starting to get real big into Kiss and all the glam metal bands, I thought for some reason that all kids my age were exposed to the same music. Just like how Dewey is in the movie, I was literally shocked to find out non of my friends new hardly anything about what I was talking about. I literally took any chance I found to try to push some rock in my friends. Now that I'm done with my little life story that you guys probably could care less about, let me get back to the movie. It's awesome.

Favorite character: Dewey Finn

Favorite quote:
Dewey Finn: Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?
Frankie: Doesn't that mean you're drunk?
Dewey Finn: No. It means I was drunk yesterday.
Freddy: It means you're an alcoholic.
Dewey Finn: Wrong.
Freddy: You wouldn't come to work with a hangover unless you were an alcoholic. Dude, you got a disease!
Dewey Finn: Hmmm... hmmm... What's your name?
Freddy: Freddy Jones.
Dewey Finn: Ok, Freddy Jones, shut up!

Favorite scene: Dewey give first lesson in rock.

Favorite song off soundtrack: Growing On Me (not featured in movie, Substitute would then be my favorite)

XDoomsayerX
03-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Never was a batman fan, enjoyed the movies, but overall he isn't superhero enough for me (no super powers really if you think about it, which is probably why most people like him in the first place). Great movies for action movies, but I don't like DC hardly at all though.

:eek:

Nig ya got Ironman on here but dis on Batman get the hell outta here.

kalfitegrdan
03-05-2014, 10:40 PM

Yet you had Iron Man on here..?

Although I half-agree with you. I'm way more of a Marvel fan and don't really like Barman at all.

adamclark52
03-05-2014, 11:56 PM

Although I half-agree with you. I'm way more of a Marvel fan and don't really like Barman at all.

You must have an HTC phone.

kalfitegrdan
03-06-2014, 12:29 AM
You must have an HTC phone.

:lol: Yep.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 04:49 AM

I like Iron Man for two reasons: one, Robert Downey Jr. is a boss. two, his armor is more like it has realistic superpowers and not unachievable ones. His pulsar blasts are more than enough to make up for his lack of "real" superpowers.

kalfitegrdan
03-06-2014, 04:59 AM
11.The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/12/Catching-Fire_poster.jpg

Released In 2013

The first Hunger Games was awesome, one of the movies I had to decide to keep off the list. Catching Fire though, was almost 5x better. Incredible acting, loads of action, and filled with suspense all the way through, Catching Fire just barely misses the top ten because of one thing: I wanted more. Add this and the first one to the list of books I have to read as well.

Favorite character: Katniss

Favorite quote:
Haymitch Abernathy: [Stops Katniss from her assault] So it's you and a syringe against the Capitol? See, this is why no one lets you make the plans.

Favorite scene: Katniss ends the games

Favorite song off soundtrack: Who We Are (overall was not a fan of this soundtrack at all)

These movies are decently entertaining, but should never even be close to a top movies list. I could go on and on and on about all the various flaws in both movies.

ravenheart
03-06-2014, 05:41 AM
god damn jurassic park 3 was one of the worst/most disappointing movies I've ever seen

I find both 2 and 3 enjoyable, but they don't come remotely close to the first one. Not even in the same league.

ravenheart
03-06-2014, 05:44 AM
On the comic book movie front, I enjoy Avengers Assemble a lot, but it's a fraction of the quality of every one of the Dark Knight movies, especially the second one.

Everyone who loves adhering to "opinions can't be wrong" needs to read this list.

JRA
03-06-2014, 05:59 AM
Mark Hammill > Heath Ledger

kalfitegrdan
03-06-2014, 06:01 AM
Everyone who loves adhering to "opinions can't be wrong" needs to read this list.

:LOLFC:

Natrlhi
03-06-2014, 08:04 AM
8.School Of Rock
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/School_of_Rock_Poster.jpg
Now that's a great movie. Nicely done. :fist:

BloodoftheKings
03-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Cesar Romero > Heath Ledger

powerslave_85
03-06-2014, 08:49 AM
I have to say I agree

XDoomsayerX
03-06-2014, 11:27 AM
I like Iron Man for two reasons: one, Robert Downey Jr. is a boss. two, his armor is more like it has realistic superpowers and not unachievable ones. His pulsar blasts are more than enough to make up for his lack of "real" superpowers.

:tp:

JRA
03-06-2014, 11:33 AM
I have to say I agree

Seriously, people say Mark Hammill's portrayal was too kid-friendly. a) That's because Warner Bros. put handcuffs on him and honestly, BTAS was already pretty dark as it is, and b) his portrayal of the Joker in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker has the cuffs taken off. While there are no magic tricks, its still the most sinister performance of the character I've ever seen.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 12:07 PM
On the comic book movie front, I enjoy Avengers Assemble a lot, but it's a fraction of the quality of every one of the Dark Knight movies, especially the second one.

I would like to know what movies you expected/wanted to see in a 15 year old's list.....

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 12:17 PM
7.Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 2
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows_%E2%80%93_Par t_2.jpg

Released In 2011

And the last HP movie to make the list is the last one in the series, Deathly Hallows Part 2. What a great way to end a movie series, one of my favorite climatic battle moments for a movie. The scene where Snape's story is revealed was in particular very well done, I was very surprised.I can't believe it's been three years already since this came out, it feels like yesterday when I first saw it in theaters.

Favorite character: Hermione/Harry

Favorite quote:
Remus Lupin: It is the quality of ones convictions that determines success, not the number of followers.
Kingsley Shacklebolt: Who said that?
Remus Lupin: Me.

Favorite scene: Harry sees Snape's memories

Favorite song off soundtrack: Lily's Theme (Opening)

adamclark52
03-06-2014, 12:26 PM
So six spots left and all five of The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit movies haven't been listed yet. I'd say "what is number six" is the most intriguing questing right now.

I'm going with...Ironman 2.

XDoomsayerX
03-06-2014, 12:36 PM

I would like to know what movies you expected/wanted to see in a 15 year old's list.....

No wonder you suck the HP!

ravenheart
03-06-2014, 12:53 PM

15-year-old me would have had:

Aliens
Predator 2
Robocop
Frighteners
Toy Story
Empire Strikes Back
Return of The Jedi
Jurassic Park
Probably one of the Die Hards
Independence Day
Terminator 2
Beetle Juice
Batman
Batman Returns
The Fifth Element

After that, can't remember what I used to watch... Had they been around at the time, there's no way the HP ones would've have made it.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 01:01 PM
15-year-old me would have had:

Aliens
Predator 2
Robocop
Frighteners
Toy Story
Empire Strikes Back
Return of The Jedi
Jurassic Park
Probably one of the Die Hards
Independence Day

After that, can't remember what I used to watch... Had they been around at the time, there's no way the HP ones would've have made it.
Never seen these, although Die Hard was one that I just totally forgot.

Oh well, I'm 15 year old me and not 15 year old you, so guess you'll just have to deal with my list.

ravenheart
03-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Never seen these, although Die Hard was one that I just totally forgot.

Oh well, I'm 15 year old me and not 15 year old you, so guess you'll just have to deal with my list.

That's what I said before. You REALLY need to watch more movies. And less shit ones.

mankvill
03-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Bud, I'm mailing you a copy of Evil Dead, Reservoir Dogs and To Kill A Mockingbird right now

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Bud, I'm mailing you a copy of Evil Dead, Reservoir Dogs and To Kill A Mockingbird right now

:lol: I'll make sure to look those up, though my mom tells me I need to see To Kill A Mockingbird, funny, I've actually read that book.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
That's what I said before. You REALLY need to watch more movies. And less shit ones.

Well just because I watch the movies you guys are recommending, it's not going change my opinion on the movies that are on this list (even if I do love the ones you've mentioned).

AnthG
03-06-2014, 01:41 PM

Send him Evil Dead 2 instead. It's like 100x better and they pretty much recap Evil Dead 1 in the first 15 minutes.

AnthG
03-06-2014, 01:42 PM
And while I like a lot of the movies ravenheart listed, he's also listed some not good ones (Seriously, Tim Burton films?).

And one thing you should ALWAYS take into consideration when ravenheart recommends anything: He likes Nickelback.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Just looked at Evil Dead, not something I'd enjoy. I absolutely HATE anything horror, say what you want, but I do. I know, I'm a wuss.

AnthG
03-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Then at least watch Army of Darkness. The tone is completely different and more slapstick-ish.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
And while I like a lot of the movies ravenheart listed, he's also listed some not good ones (Seriously, Tim Burton films?).

And one thing you should ALWAYS take into consideration when ravenheart recommends anything: He likes Nickelback.

Out of all people I'd expect him to hate them the most. And about Tim Burton, Nightmare Before Christmas was good but anything I else I can't stand.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 01:51 PM
I believe my parents own To Kill A Mockingbird, so I'll definitely have to watch it in the future.

AnthG
03-06-2014, 01:54 PM
And about Tim Burton, Nightmare Before Christmas was good

Which he didn't even direct. He produced it and has a "story by" credit.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=TheWildAndTheYoung;561541]And about Tim Burton, Nightmare Before Christmas was goodQUOTE]

Which he didn't even direct. He produced it and has a "story by" credit.

Very true.

Just saw that Reservoir Dogs is on netflix, seems like a movie I might be in to, will put it on my to-do list.

Dextrimental
03-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Well just because I watch the movies you guys are recommending, it's not going change my opinion on the movies that are on this list (even if I do love the ones you've mentioned).

You might end up liking the other films more. Also, watching and taking in more stuff is precisely what DOES change your opinions on what you currently like/dislike. This is a fact. You're 15 and you might not realize it now, but it is true.

JRA
03-06-2014, 07:09 PM

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. I made my top 100 albums list about 3 years ago and while no-one gave any recommendations in that thread, I've listened to at least 10 albums that would easily kick some albums off and make it on there, and not just in the 100-91 spots either.

So yes, you do really need to watch more movies.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 07:11 PM
You might end up liking the other films more. Also, watching and taking in more stuff is precisely what DOES change your opinions on what you currently like/dislike. This is a fact. You're 15 and you might not realize it now, but it is true.

Movies aren't the same though, sure I might like the other films more, but just because I may end up thinking say Predator is better than Harry Potter (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) is not going to make me think HP sucks. Their both two completely different types of movies, so that would make no sense to say HP sucks just because you like Predator more. Now, if you happened to find another movie based on wizards (I don't know a movie other HP that revolves around wizards), then you could say this movie makes HP look like crap.

Let's say in 5 years from now my opinions on the movies I like don't change, what would you say then?

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 07:32 PM
6.The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b3/The_Hobbit-_An_Unexpected_Journey.jpeg

Released In 2012

Just in case you somehow don't know this, I'm a Tolkien fanboy. Fanboy is an understatement, I'm obsessed. Like, take how much I love glam metal, and multiply it times 20 and you might get close to my love for all things Tolkien. Even though The Hobbit is not as good as LOTR was, it comes about as close as possible. Now, I knew people would be slamming this movie before it came out, because well, haters gonna hate. When I went to see this movie, I was blown away. Three hours of straight up epicness. There are two things people complain about in this movie the most and that is a) too long and b) too different from the book. Ok, first off, if you consider yourself only a very mild fan of Tolkien, than why would you want to have a short movie? People would complain if it was too short anyway, you really can't please everyone. As regards to statement b), IT WAS A FREAKIN' CHILDREN'S BOOK! If they just stuck 100% to the book only, it would not be as good as it is. Whatever is in the book works for the book, but this is a movie, and it needs to use whatever works best for it. I honestly think the movie is better than the book, but that could be just because I waited so long for it to be brought to life. The Hobbit is an awesome movie, it's not like LOTR in the sense that I can actually see the turn off for people, some people just can't give three hours of attention to a movie, and you know what, that's OK.

Favorite character: Gandalf

Favorite quote:
Gandalf: You will have to do without pocket handkerchiefs, and a great many other things, before we reach our journey's end, Bilbo Baggins. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you. The world is ahead.

Favorite scene: Riddles In The Dark

Favorite song off soundtrack: Misty Mountains

El Gordo
03-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Let's say in 5 years from now my opinions on the movies I like don't change, what would you say then?

Probably that you haven't watched any movies since March 6, 2014.

Your tastes will change dude. You're 15. When I was 15, I thought Bronx Tale was one of the best movies ever made. It wouldn't crack my top 30 now, not even close.

It's fine that you're making these lists now because you create discussion and frankly, you can do whatever the fuck you want. Mark my words though, you will look back on them 5, 10, 15 years from now and go "fuck, those lists are garbage" unless you go crawl under a rock. Some will still make your top 10, 20 whatever, but not all, no way.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Probably that you haven't watched any movies since March 6, 2014.

Your tastes will change dude. You're 15. When I was 15, I thought Bronx Tale was one of the best movies ever made. It wouldn't crack my top 30 now, not even close.

It's fine that you're making these lists now because you create discussion and frankly, you can do whatever the fuck you want. Mark my words though, you will look back on them 5, 10, 15 years from now and go "fuck, those lists are garbage" unless you go crawl under a rock. Some will still make your top 10, 20 whatever, but not all, no way.

I agree about not all of them making my list forever, but with movies like HP, LOTR, Jurassic Park, etc., they're always gonna be on this list.

El Gordo
03-06-2014, 07:58 PM
I agree about not all of them making my list forever, but with movies like HP, LOTR, Jurassic Park, etc., they're always gonna be on this list.

na·ive [nah-eev]
adjective
having or showing a lack of experience, judgment, or information; credulous.

Love your enthusiasm, but seriously. :lol:

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
na·ive [nah-eev]
adjective
having or showing a lack of experience, judgment, or information; credulous.

Love your enthusiasm, but seriously. :lol:

Call it what you will, but you also for some reason can't grasp the idea that are actually SOME things that you WILL like FOREVER.

El Gordo
03-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Call it what you will, but you also for some reason can't grasp the idea that are actually SOME things that you WILL like FOREVER.

Grasped.

Some things, yes. I doubt if even 10 of these movies would make a similar list in 10 years for you, unless you crawl under that rock I was talking about.

Anyway, as Billy Madison would say, PROCEED.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-06-2014, 08:33 PM
5.Back To The Future
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Back_to_the_Future.jpg

Released In 1985

Back To The Future is by far my favorite movie from the 1980's. I loved the whole series, but the first one has to be the best. After I first saw this movie I swore I was going to find a way to time travel. This movie is filled with a fantastic story and loads of great characters, but there's one thing that always got me though. You never find out really what the flux capacitor does or how it works, which was probably the point, but it still to this day leaves me curious. Anyway, a timeless classic that almost everyone has watched, this movie kicks off my top 5.

Favorite character: Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown

Favorite quote:
Marty McFly: Whoa. Wait a minute, Doc. Are you trying to tell me that my mother has got the hots for me?
Dr. Emmett Brown: Precisely.
Marty McFly: Whoa. This is heavy.
Dr. Emmett Brown: There's that word again. "Heavy." Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?

Favorite scene: Marty convinces George to ask Lorraine out

Favorite song off soundtrack: Back To The Future Overture

XDoomsayerX
03-06-2014, 08:49 PM
The Hobbit was a 3 hour borefest :hecho:

Easily the worst movie thus far.

dcmetal108
03-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Just looked at Evil Dead, not something I'd enjoy. I absolutely HATE anything horror, say what you want, but I do. I know, I'm a wuss.

Dear fucking god, all and any hope for you is lost. Are you a pussy (i'm not 15 and who the fuck says wuss) from bloody things or jump scares? Taking out the horror genre as a whole is a crime.

larvtard
03-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Are you a pussy (i'm not 15 and who the fuck says wuss)

people who aren't sexist?

adamclark52
03-06-2014, 11:11 PM
I honestly do not like horror movies or being scared in general.

mankvill
03-06-2014, 11:17 PM

>>>/tumblr/

ravenheart
03-07-2014, 02:17 AM
If nothing else, as you get older and see more stuff, you develop a better understanding of what good movie making and storytelling actually is. At that point, you realise that a bunch of stuff you enjoyed as a kid is actually awful. But until you've gotten that far, you don't have that perspective.

El Gordo
03-07-2014, 03:29 AM

Uh, not all cats are girls, OK?

JRA
03-07-2014, 06:06 AM
I'm not a horror connoisseur and I think Evil Dead is great, but I think most people would agree that Evil Dead 2 is better.

dcmetal108
03-07-2014, 06:28 AM

What? How is pussy sexist? In that sense saying someone is a dick is sexist. Or an asshole since both sexes have one. Your logic hurts my brain.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Dear fucking god, all and any hope for you is lost. Are you a pussy (i'm not 15 and who the fuck says wuss) from bloody things or jump scares? Taking out the horror genre as a whole is a crime.

Both. Glad you think all hope for me is lost, let me try for a moment to give a crap.....

AnthG
03-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Just a general question: Are people criticizing the list because he's 15, or because he's 15 AND you don't like what he's putting up on there. I think people in general don't like what he's putting on his list, or don't believe they belong on a top 30 list. Which is fine, but if you're going to criticize then you need to criticize the content of the list itself and not the "credentials" of the person compiling it. I think a lot of people here don't agree with the list, but can't actually come up with any reasons why they don't like it. Which is fine, since I think the only argument you need for not liking a movie is simply "I didn't enjoy it", but instead of saying that, you say "Well, the only reason you think this is a good movie is because you're 15 and blah blah blah". It's an easy way to argue against an opinion without actually arguing against the opinion.

Even ravenheart (I know i'm referring to you a lot) has said that the dude is too young and hasn't seen enough movies, but he also posted a list of the movies he would have put on his best of list when he was 15, which included Aliens, Empire Strikes back, Batman, Beetlejuice. etc. To say "You're too young...but here's my list when I was 15." And just by glancing at the list, something tells me a lot of these films are still some of your favourites. This goes for other people too. People criticized him for throwing the Harry Potter films and the Avengers in his list and said it was "because he's too young" but said nothing of the sort when they saw Jurassic Park or First Blood being on there. So which is it? Is it because he's young or because those movies just aren't good? If his age invalidates the Harry Potter films wouldn't they also invalidate Jurassic Park? You can't have it both ways. It's like when people say non-musicians can't give negative criticism about a guitar player but not when they give positive feedback.

I think his list isn't reflective of the fact that he's 15 and more when he was 15. If he was throwing stuff like Aliens and Empire Strikes back on here no one would say anything. People wouldn't be "Oh, you're only 15, so you're not allowed to say you like the same film I do because you're young" I think his age has nothing to do with the fact that he likes Lord of the Rings or the Avengers. Hell, all 3 LOTR films were nominated for Best picture, and one of them won. And the people who vote for those things are old suburban dudes. Awards mean shit, i'm just saying age has nothing to do with it.

TLDR: Fuck you, read it.

ravenheart
03-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Just a general question: Are people criticizing the list because he's 15, or because he's 15 AND you don't like what he's putting up on there. I think people in general don't like what he's putting on his list, or don't believe they belong on a top 30 list. Which is fine, but if you're going to criticize then you need to criticize the content of the list itself and not the "credentials" of the person compiling it. I think a lot of people here don't agree with the list, but can't actually come up with any reasons why they don't like it. Which is fine, since I think the only argument you need for not liking a movie is simply "I didn't enjoy it", but instead of saying that, you say "Well, the only reason you think this is a good movie is because you're 15 and blah blah blah". It's an easy way to argue against an opinion without actually arguing against the opinion.

Even ravenheart (I know i'm referring to you a lot) has said that the dude is too young and hasn't seen enough movies, but he also posted a list of the movies he would have put on his best of list when he was 15, which included Aliens, Empire Strikes back, Batman, Beetlejuice. etc. To say "You're too young...but here's my list when I was 15." And just by glancing at the list, something tells me a lot of these films are still some of your favourites. This goes for other people too. People criticized him for throwing the Harry Potter films and the Avengers in his list and said it was "because he's too young" but said nothing of the sort when they saw Jurassic Park or First Blood being on there. So which is it? Is it because he's young or because those movies just aren't good? If his age invalidates the Harry Potter films wouldn't they also invalidate Jurassic Park? You can't have it both ways. It's like when people say non-musicians can't give negative criticism about a guitar player but not when they give positive feedback.

I think his list isn't reflective of the fact that he's 15 and more when he was 15. If he was throwing stuff like Aliens and Empire Strikes back on here no one would say anything. People wouldn't be "Oh, you're only 15, so you're not allowed to say you like the same film I do because you're young" I think his age has nothing to do with the fact that he likes Lord of the Rings or the Avengers. Hell, all 3 LOTR films were nominated for Best picture, and one of them won. And the people who vote for those things are old suburban dudes. Awards mean shit, i'm just saying age has nothing to do with it.

TLDR: Fuck you, read it.

Yes, and no.

See, I'm not criticising him for being 15. I'm criticising him for a) watching shit when there's loads of good stuff to watch instead, and in a round-about way I suppose, b) doing a list when you've not really seen enough to make it a sensible thing to do. It's like listening to one Iron Maiden album and declaring your top 5 Iron Maiden songs; it doesn't make sense.

Also, it's not a question of when. Most of the movies on the list of stuff I can remember thinking was great when I was 15 are WAY older than that. Only Independence Day, Toy Story, Jurassic Park, Frighteners (I think) and Fifth Element were current when I was a teenager. I'm not that old, dude ;) He was asking what I expected to see on a 15 year old's list and my point there, because I didn't say he was too young, was your age is irrelevant, just watch better stuff, don't limit yourself to the current teen magazine favourites (although, well done for not including any Twilight movies) - using myself at that age as an example. The fact that there are so many Potter films on the list is indicative of one significant thing more than anything else: he hasn't watched enough stuff and certainly hasn't checked out enough non-current stuff. Then there's the whole stubbornness thing, which admittedly every teenager thinks at the time, over his opinions never changing. When of course everyone on the planet older than 20 knows they do.

Honestly though, my main issue is including crap movies, it's including good movies, and putting crap ones above them. Like putting Jurassic Park 3 above Jurassic Park 1. That's lunacy, whoever you are.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Yes, and no.

See, I'm not criticising him for being 15. I'm criticising him for a) watching shit when there's loads of good stuff to watch instead, and in a round-about way I suppose, b) doing a list when you've not really seen enough to make it a sensible thing to do. It's like listening to one Iron Maiden album and declaring your top 5 Iron Maiden songs; it doesn't make sense.

Also, it's not a question of when. Most of the movies on the list of stuff I can remember thinking was great when I was 15 are WAY older than that. Only Independence Day, Toy Story, Jurassic Park, Frighteners (I think) and Fifth Element were current when I was a teenager. I'm not that old, dude ;) He was asking what I expected to see on a 15 year old's list and my point there, because I didn't say he was too young, was your age is irrelevant, just watch better stuff, don't limit yourself to the current teen magazine favourites (although, well done for not including any Twilight movies) - using myself at that age as an example. The fact that there are so many Potter films on the list is indicative of one significant thing more than anything else: he hasn't watched enough stuff and certainly hasn't checked out enough non-current stuff. Then there's the whole stubbornness thing, which admittedly every teenager thinks at the time, over his opinions never changing. When of course everyone on the planet older than 20 knows they do.

Honestly though, my main issue is including crap movies, it's including good movies, and putting crap ones above them. Like putting Jurassic Park 3 above Jurassic Park 1. That's lunacy, whoever you are.

Never have seen a Twilight movie and never plan to, they look like crap. I don't watch movies based on what's popular during this time, I watch movies that I think are or would be cool, and the ones I'm exposed to. It's not like I hate the movies everyone has suggested, it's just I either haven't been exposed to them or I haven't had the chance to watch them.

ravenheart
03-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Never have seen a Twilight movie and never plan to, they look like crap. I don't watch movies based on what's popular during this time, I watch movies that I think are or would be cool, and the ones I'm exposed to. It's not like I hate the movies everyone has suggested, it's just I either haven't been exposed to them or I haven't had the chance to watch them.

Definitely a fixable issue :D

AnthG
03-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Yes, and no.

Even so, you're still going off the assumption that he hasn't seen the films that you like and that's the reason why he hasn't listed them and his instead has chosen the films he's chosen, whether that's due to age, lack of exposure, whatever. Even though he's admitted he hasn't seen a lot of the suggestions that have been made in this thread, it's still a cheap way to argue by criticizing the credentials and not the content. Again, there's nothing wrong with hating his choices, even if you voice it with a simple "That movie sucks" comment. But when you chalk it up to "there's no WAY he can like this movie more than that one. The only possible explanation is that he hasn't seen these other awesome films", it just comes off as a cop out argument, and looks more like defending your own taste rather than criticizing his, even if your taste is not in question. It's the same thing when people were voting for Killswitch Engage and not Gorguts or Deafhaven in the 2013 album voting list, and people, jokingly or seriously, argued that it's because they hadn't heard Gorguts or Deafhaven, and not because they had heard those albums and simply liked the KsE album more. It's the similar thing here.

People have also said that if he watches more movies his top 30 list would definitely change. Which i'm sure is true, but you're working under the assumption that doing so would knock the movies that you deem are not worthy. Who's to say that watching Aliens would change how he feels about Harry Potter and not how he feels about Jurassic Park?

And if you think i'm simply just picking apart what you're saying for the sake of argument, i'll still agree that there's no way to defend liking Jurassic Park 3 over the first movie. Or even Lost world for that matter.