PDA

View Full Version : HB420's 2014 Album of the Day

hb420
02-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Going to review one album a day.

February 10th, 2014
http://24.media.tumblr.com/8b6a81a3f890f64d9bb4976d7ab0bbbb/tumblr_n0l4qi2lxE1qbm1eio1_500.jpg
Conan - Blood Eagle
(Napalm Records)

Stoner doom/drone heathens Conan are poised to be the next big thing in the doom metal scene. Coming off the release of two great splits with Slomatics and Bongripper, a fantastic debut EP, and a very good full-length in "Monnos". The band deliver on all of those promises and then some with their upcoming highly anticipated sophomore album and Napalm Record's debut "Blood Eagle". If you love your doom filthy with maximum distortion and the thought of a band that sounds like the bastard child of High On Fire, Sunn O))), Celtic Frost, and Black Sabbath makes you drool you have to check this out. Every single track is great and filled relentlessly with monolithic grooves and thundering riffage. The album's highlights are clearly the longer more epic doomier songs but the shorter faster tracks are amazing too like Foehammer (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16610-conan-foehammer/).

VoidFlame
02-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Fuck yes! :party:

larvtard
02-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Awesome thread idea! I hope you keep it up. Conan has such a badass tone, though song-wise I think they leave a bit to desire. I think you'd like this (http://slomatics.bandcamp.com/album/estron), though (if you haven't heard it already).

EDIT: *facepalm* You already mentioned Slomatics in your post. Woooow.

Onioner
02-11-2014, 04:23 PM
rad thread sir, I always love the albums you endorse. Looking forward to further entries!

Natrlhi
02-11-2014, 08:16 PM
I agree with Onioner and others - you and I like a lot of the same things.

However...I'm throwwing down the gauntlet to you. I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU to say at least one of the albums you review here is "just OK".

C'mon, man. You can do it! ;)

hb420
02-12-2014, 12:25 AM
Fuck yes! :party:

Awesome thread idea! I hope you keep it up. Conan has such a badass tone, though song-wise I think they leave a bit to desire. I think you'd like this (http://slomatics.bandcamp.com/album/estron), though (if you haven't heard it already).

EDIT: *facepalm* You already mentioned Slomatics in your post. Woooow.

rad thread sir, I always love the albums you endorse. Looking forward to further entries!

:allan: Thanks a lot guys for the positive words! Oh and Larvtard if that's a pretty big gripe for you is the songwriting like I believe it is for some people trust me when I say the new album completely fixes that. It's their most well rounded and comprehensive album yet. Quite a bit of a leap in my opinion from their previous work songwriting wise.

I agree with Onioner and others - you and I like a lot of the same things.

However...I'm throwwing down the gauntlet to you. I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU to say at least one of the albums you review here is "just OK".

C'mon, man. You can do it! ;)

I accept your challenge good sir! :horns: haha I have the perfect album already too just won't be one of the next couple.

February 11th, 2014
http://www.metalblade.com/us/covers/SloughFeg-DigitalResistance.jpg
Slough Feg - Digital Resistance
(Metal Blade)

Entire Album Stream Here (http://pitchfork.com/advance/347-digital-resistance/)

One of the biggest champions of US heavy metal along with bands like Hammers of Misfortune and Dawnbringer is San Fransisco's Slough Feg. Their unique brand of folky, Celtic tinged, 70's hard rock influenced metal has been dazzling people smart enough to listen for nearly 25 years. "Digital Resistance" marks their ninth full-length and keeps their high level of quality and consistency intact. While it seemed as their career went along they started to shed some of their folk influences for a more straight forward metal sound. The new album sees them bring back those sounds in spades, recalling the glory of their first three releases. I like all ten tracks and they easily comprise my third favorite Feg album. However the album's highlights are clearly the final three songs. Especially the epic closer "Warriors Dusk" with great riffs and leads that you can absolutely air guitar too and headbang your head off while you're at it. The acoustic bits on it are gorgeous as well, I can very easily see it as well as several other songs become live staples. Simply put if you love traditional/heavy metal with a weird bent this album is phenomenal and your year in music is not complete without it.

Onioner
02-12-2014, 01:01 AM
February 11th, 2014
http://www.metalblade.com/us/covers/SloughFeg-DigitalResistance.jpg
Slough Feg - Digital Resistance
(Metal Blade)

Entire Album Stream Here (http://pitchfork.com/advance/347-digital-resistance/)

One of the biggest champions of US heavy metal along with bands like Hammers of Misfortune and Dawnbringer is San Fransisco's Slough Feg. Their unique brand of folky, Celtic tinged, 70's hard rock influenced metal has been dazzling people smart enough to listen for nearly 25 years. "Digital Resistance" marks their ninth full-length and keeps their high level of quality and consistency intact. While it seemed as their career went along they started to shed some of their folk influences for a more straight forward metal sound. The new album sees them bring back those sounds in spades, recalling the glory of their first three releases. I like all ten tracks and they easily comprise my third favorite Feg album. However the album's highlights are clearly the final three songs. Especially the epic closer "Warriors Dusk" with great riffs and leads that you can absolutely air guitar too and headbang your head off while you're at it. The acoustic bits on it are gorgeous as well, I can very easily see it as well as several other songs become live staples. Simply put if you love traditional/heavy metal with a weird bent this album is phenomenal and your year in music is not complete without it.

:rocker: I fucking knew this album was going to destroy all the way back in in January, so I'm really happy that people seem to like it! I liked Animal Spirits at first, but then it grew on me and I really fell in love with it. Even from listening to only the basics at the time of the tracking, I knew it was gonna be a really special album.

Dextrimental
02-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Never really listened to Slough Feg before, this is crazy levels of awesome! :D

hb420
02-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Never really listened to Slough Feg before, this is crazy levels of awesome! :D

Glad to turn someone unto the Feg! :rocker:

February 12th, 2013
http://impose.vaesite.net/__data/warpaint-album-cover-warpaint.jpg
Warpaint - Warpaint
(Rough Trade Records)

All female indie rock band Warpaint really deliver on their potent blend of psychedelic rock, shoegaze, hip-hop, and post punk with this self titled album. While "The Fool" was a promising debut, it still felt inconsistent at times and off songwriting wise. Nowhere close to matching the mind melting power of witnessing the band jam out live. On "Warpaint" that band nearly comes close though, by turning up the hip-hop touches and going crazy with synth experimentation. Each song working more heavily with atmospherics than just rocking out. While the album slows down momentum in the middle, the first and final parts are absolutely amazing. My favorite moments have to be lead single (which might possibly be SOTY) "To Love Is To Die" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnuFYYJHaY0) and "CC". It's an album I can listen to over and over again, just to hear the intoxicating melodies all over again. If you dig any of the sounds above and haven't heard this yet. I highly suggest you give it a shot.

larvtard
02-13-2014, 11:54 AM
I actually like The Fool a lot more than this new one. Maybe I just need objectivity and distance.. if I convince myself it's not the same band that made The Fool and Exquisite Corpse (because this new one is a bit of a new direction, I think), then I can enjoy it more. But I agree, CC stood out to me the most. And I'll give that Conan record a spin.

HandOfDoom
02-13-2014, 02:55 PM
This is awesome, you should check out the new album by Indian if you haven't yet!

hb420
02-13-2014, 08:57 PM
I actually like The Fool a lot more than this new one. Maybe I just need objectivity and distance.. if I convince myself it's not the same band that made The Fool and Exquisite Corpse (because this new one is a bit of a new direction, I think), then I can enjoy it more. But I agree, CC stood out to me the most. And I'll give that Conan record a spin.

Yeah that was my initial impression as well. Over time though at least for me it became an immense grower. The hooks and melodies are a lot more subtle but once the latch on they stay.

This is awesome, you should check out the new album by Indian if you haven't yet!

Thanks bud! And yeah that Indian album RIPS, it will definitely make an appearance here somewhere.

February 13th, 2014
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/culted-e1390323804185.jpg
Culted - Oblique To All Paths
(Relapse Records)

Culted are an enigma in the doom/sludge scene, with three members from Canada and the other in Sweden. Having none of the members make contact with each other besides email, really leaves their music with an immense atmosphere, and a feeling of desolation. Drawing from a huge pool of influences they never really stay in one genre. Using instead each sound as a different color on a painting, making their second full-length extremely cinematic in scope. Included in their overall sound is funeral doom, black metal, sludge, hardcore, noise rock and industrial tinges.With songs ranging from 4 minutes to 19 the album is best taken as a whole. Looked upon an an entire piece its one of the best albums to be released this year.

Edit: Full Album Stream (http://culted.bandcamp.com/)

kalfitegrdan
02-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Damn, this Culted album is so good. I definitely plan on checking out the new Slough Feg and Conan when they're released. Keep it up, man!

hb420
02-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Damn, this Culted album is so good. I definitely plan on checking out the new Slough Feg and Conan when they're released. Keep it up, man!

Glad you liked it and thanks for the encouraging words!

February 14th, 2014
http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2014/02/Morbus-Chron-Sweven-608x608.jpg
Morbus Chron - Sweven
(Century Media Records)

Swedish death metal upstarts Morbus Chron made a name for themselves in the underground scene with their great 2011 debut "Sleepers In The Rift". It was savage blend of Autopsy, Entombed and the early Florida scene. What it lacked in originality it made up for with passionate songwriting. Now three years later we see the release of "Sweven" which is their best work to date. The band ventures way beyond the OSDM genre they're known for taking cues from psychedelic rock, progressive rock, and even some slight second wave black metal thrown in for good measure. They twist and push their sound into such uncharted places it becomes nearly unrecognizable as the band that released their debut. As seen in lead single "It Stretches In The Hollow" (https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/morbus-chron-it-stretches-in-1/). One of the most notable elements of the record is the very warm analog productions that really helps to still give it that 80's vibe. Psychedelic (sometimes even bluesy I'd say) leads and acoustic guitars slither in and out of the solid bass driven low end, as the drums veer from more laid back fills to more metallic drumming at the drop of a hat. I have even barely scratched the surface of this immense record, but I can safely say if you give it the time you'll be rewarded greatly. This will be the death metal album of the year in my opinion.

treghet
02-15-2014, 04:52 AM
Your description of Sweven just makes me want to hear it even more. It sounds ambitious and it could be incredible if they've done it right. Are the tracks varied or is the single pretty representative of the rest of the album?

kalfitegrdan
02-15-2014, 08:56 AM
I have mixed feelings based on what I keep hearing about the new album. I'm glad that Morbus Chron are evolving their sound, but on the other hand, "Sleepers in the Rift" was probably my favorite death metal album of the 2010's, so I'd be okay with a similar sounding album. Either way, this is my most anticipated release right now.

Datjazzfusion
02-16-2014, 09:59 PM
So far your choices are very intriguing. Keep it up!

hb420
02-19-2014, 12:57 AM
Your description of Sweven just makes me want to hear it even more. It sounds ambitious and it could be incredible if they've done it right. Are the tracks varied or is the single pretty representative of the rest of the album?

I would say while they're not extremely varied, there is definitely some subtle variation from song to song. Some being more overly death metal than others, or some being into far left field. Overall its a pretty actuate example but no where near the best song on the album. Best explanation I can give how they sound now is early Death on LSD.

I have mixed feelings based on what I keep hearing about the new album. I'm glad that Morbus Chron are evolving their sound, but on the other hand, "Sleepers in the Rift" was probably my favorite death metal album of the 2010's, so I'd be okay with a similar sounding album. Either way, this is my most anticipated release right now.

I'd say not to worry while they stray far from the path, they still retain that gritty 80's death metal part.

So far your choices are very intriguing. Keep it up!

Thanks!

February 18th, 2014
http://www.suicidebystar.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Heathen-350x350.jpg
Thou - Heathen
(Gilead Media)

Baton Rouge's prolific sludge metal gods Thou ultimately release in their 4th full-length "Heathen" a stunning masterpiece. That weaves the melodicism and outside influences of "Summit" with the droning heaviness that made up their early work. The humungous riffs and bass lines surge slowly like tectonic plates under the earth clashing against the uplifting leads and drum work. Over which soars the throat shredding screams of Bryan Funck. All seven songs minus the three interludes are some of the best work done to date by this band. At 75 minutes long and not a bore for a single second, it's a testament to the skill of these musicians.

hb420
03-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Sorry about the hold up for people actually interested in this thread! I will post oneright now and a couple of more tonight.

March 19th, 2014
http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/twilightiiicd.jpg
Twilight - III: Beneath Trident's Tomb
(Century Media Records)
Twilight since it's formation has been a strange entity in the black metal community. A super group that has contained the central members of Krieg, Leviathan, and Nachtmystium and a revolving cast of musicians. After the recording of their sophomore release "Monument To Time End" they gained two more permanent members in Sanford Parker (notoriously awesome metal producer/member of Minsk) and Stavros Giannopoulos (The Atlas Moth). After adding Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth fame as a main contributor to their third album and a tumultuous battle recording and preparing the record for release. Which included the exclusion of Nachtmystium's Blake Judd from the album. After two years of waiting and through the demise of the band we finally see the release of "Beneath Trident's Tomb". A perfect swansong for the group it sees them gelling together perfectly to create some of the most visceral and challenging black metal to date. Featuring a lot industrial and noise elements more akin to early Godflesh and Ministry, probably due to Thurston's involvement as well as his signature dissonant riffing. That plus how each track is just a kaleidoscope of different sounds ranging from black metal, sludge, doom and psychedelic rock makes the album hard to swallow the first couple of times. However if you can get past that it's definitely one of the better albums to come out this year.

Listen (http://pitchfork.com/advance/373-iii-beneath-tridents-tomb/)

hb420
03-24-2014, 06:37 PM
March 24th, 2014
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Cormorant-Earth-Diver-Small.jpg
Cormorant - Earth Diver
(Self Released)

Bay Area metal band Cormorant defy categorization. With each release since their debut EP "The Last Tree" featuring different mixtures of musical influences ranging from melodic death metal, black metal, folk music, 70's progressive rock, and doom metal. This great band's newest album "Earth Diver" sees the band with a new bassist/vocalist in Marcus Luscombe and also their most consistent release yet. Instead of cramming a slew of influences into their unique sound they go for a more straight ahead black metal sound that still somehow retains the progressive qualities that made them so great to begin with. Pushing that stuff to the background and having a more stripped down approach to songwriting allowed the songs to breath a lot more. Making every incredible moment more memorable and having a better chance to stick with you. Don't miss out on what I think might possibly be the best black metal record of it's kind since Ludicra's The Tenant. If you have the cash and dig the tracks on their bandcamp preorder it.

Cormorant Bandcamp (http://cormorant.bandcamp.com/)

Onioner
03-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Don't miss out on what I think might possibly be the best black metal record of it's kind since Ludicra's The Tenant.

Whoa. Wow. Those are strong words sir, really really strong words. The Tenant is my favorite black metal album and one of my favorite all-around metal albums ever, so a comparison like that is really incredible to read. I hope a lot of other people agree with you.

That being said, I think the Ludicra comparison is more apt than ever before. More than anything, I think Cormorant really had a heightened sense of ambition and determination going in. I think it resulted in an album that rocks out a lot harder than their previous efforts. That was Ludicra's strength, writing these really headbangable yet incredibly honest black metal songs, and I think Cormorant are finally the only band in the world that have really captured that songwriting aesthetic. Dwellings did rock out a few times here and there (the cool part of Funambulist comes to mind), but Earth Diver is just a whole other level of intensity and raw power.

Of course, what do I know? I still haven't heard the finished product yet. :eyes: lulz for poorly timed spring breaks.

hb420
03-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Whoa. Wow. Those are strong words sir, really really strong words. The Tenant is my favorite black metal album and one of my favorite all-around metal albums ever, so a comparison like that is really incredible to read. I hope a lot of other people agree with you.

That being said, I think the Ludicra comparison is more apt than ever before. More than anything, I think Cormorant really had a heightened sense of ambition and determination going in. I think it resulted in an album that rocks out a lot harder than their previous efforts. That was Ludicra's strength, writing these really headbangable yet incredibly honest black metal songs, and I think Cormorant are finally the only band in the world that have really captured that songwriting aesthetic. Dwellings did rock out a few times here and there (the cool part of Funambulist comes to mind), but Earth Diver is just a whole other level of intensity and raw power.

Of course, what do I know? I still haven't heard the finished product yet. :eyes: lulz for poorly timed spring breaks.

Yeah man my thoughts exactly! I mean the Opeth and Enslaved comparisons are still relevant to their music but more than ever it was Ludicra that kept screaming inside my head while listening to "Earth Diver".

March 25th, 2014
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/4/0/1/8/401884.jpg?5111
Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
(Prowling Death/Century Media)

With literally no introduction needed to the majority of the metal heads that revere him across the world. Tom G. Warrior is one of extreme metal’s all-time greats, being one half of the duo that co-founded Celtic Frost. After that band’s untimely second demise following their musical rebirth on “Monotheist” that saw them replace their proto-death/black and thrash metal sound with a massive gothic tinged doom metal one. Warrior decided to continue that musical path with his new band Triptykon and released their critically hailed debut “Eparistera Daimones” in 2010. Now four years later we see the highly anticipated return of the band with their sophomore LP “Melana Chasmata”. As you’ll find out from reading this review, the wait was entirely worth it as Tom Warrior has crafted what should be known as his undisputed masterpiece. A heavy as hell 67 minute melancholic trip into one of the darkest minds still making music today.
Starting off with opening track “Tree of Suffocating Souls” which is more of a homage to his thrash origins than what he has been doing lately. It’s bolstered by moments of thundering fast fills/kick drums, and a monolithically groovy riff. From there you're taken through the already premiered “Boleskine House”. After that “Altar of Deceit” which along with later track “Into Sleep of Death” are the most reminiscent of the debut album. Then another thrash track takes center stage in lead single “Breathing” followed by in my opinion the album highlight “Aurorae”. A jaw dropping song that sees the band attempting to write a post metal song with a soul stirring climax. After this the album breaks into the less accessible second half in my opinion. While not as instantly gratifying as the first five tracks, are expertly written pieces that just take longer to sink your teeth into. You have the industrial dirge “Demon Pact” which recalls his work in Apollyon Sun. As well as the beastly 12 minute epic “Black Snow” and closing mournful ballad “Waiting”.
So in closing I’d like to say why this album is so much better than anything else made by this legend is because it neatly envelopes and culminates his entire 30+ year career into one complete package. An yet at the same time him and the band are still trying new ideas and sounds out, reaching for even greater heights than they have already attained.

(Just thought I'd get this out of the way earlier, while my ideas were still fresh in my head. Believe the hype though folks that are awaiting this with bated breath. This is my AOTY I'm already sure of it, the album is just that damn good.)

slapguitarer
03-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Dude, it's March, not February. :lol:

Otherwise, thread is staying strong! :rocker:

Han Solar
03-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Yeah man my thoughts exactly! I mean the Opeth and Enslaved comparisons are still relevant to their music but more than ever it was Ludicra that kept screaming inside my head while listening to "Earth Diver".
[B][U]

You're correct, Ludicra is a huge influence for us. :party: Great song arrangements, great riffs/drumming, and better vibe. There's a little enslaved and even less opeth though. Of course Dissection, darkthrone, Immolation/Bolt Thrower, Blut Aus Nord riffs (just to name a few) always surface in the writing process.

Thanks for the spin! Cheers -n

hb420
03-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Otherwise, thread is staying strong! :rocker:

Thanks man!

You're correct, Ludicra is a huge influence for us. :party: Great song arrangements, great riffs/drumming, and better vibe. There's a little enslaved and even less opeth though. Of course Dissection, darkthrone, Immolation/Bolt Thrower, Blut Aus Nord riffs (just to name a few) always surface in the writing process.

Thanks for the spin! Cheers -n

You guys deserve a huge amount of credit for the killer record man! Seriously it's the best thing you've guys done yet and could be possibly be in time one of my favorite black metal records ever. I just keep returning to it over and over again. Here's to hopefully seeing you live someday that would kill!