PDA

View Full Version : I has an article!

JRA
02-06-2014, 06:44 AM
I wrote an article on the Grammys a few years back. But a) the original post no longer exists on the original spot, and b) its been a few years anyway.

So here is my updated version of the metal Grammys! Tell all your friends!
http://retrodrome.net/index.php/user-articles/113-heavymetal

JRA
02-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Damn. not even a chuckle.

AnthG
02-08-2014, 01:05 PM
You know that episode of South Park a few years back where they commented on the financial crisis and the recession? And Stan is trying to return his dad's Margaritaville machine and he ends up at (I think) the stock exchange or a bankruptcy court and when they need to make a decision, they chop a chicken's head off, let it roam around on a board with options until it falls somewhere, and they go with that decision? That's probably what the nomination process is for the Metal grammy award. You could say they do that for all the categories, but with the pop, rap, and main album of the year awards or whatever they appear to use some sort of objective analysis like sales and airplay or something (not necessarily a good reason but still a reason). With the Metal category it's like "Fuck it, let's just choose these 5" and then when they choose a winner they either go for name recognition or who's been around longer (which sometimes ends up being the same band). It's really the only way to explain why there's so many nominations of covers and live versions of older songs. If you're gonna do a random grab bag of nominations then fine, but at least choose studio recordings of actual new songs. There was 1 year where 3 of the 5 nominations were live songs.

Also, Deftones are awesome. "Elite" > you.

adamclark52
02-08-2014, 01:11 PM
The only awards show where the metal categories matter are the Revolver Golden Gods awards.

mankvill
02-08-2014, 01:28 PM
The only awards show where the metal categories matter are the Revolver Golden Gods awards.

Not even then.

adamclark52
02-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Not even then.

Pantera.

JRA
02-08-2014, 06:38 PM
You know that episode of South Park a few years back where they commented on the financial crisis and the recession? And Stan is trying to return his dad's Margaritaville machine and he ends up at (I think) the stock exchange or a bankruptcy court and when they need to make a decision, they chop a chicken's head off, let it roam around on a board with options until it falls somewhere, and they go with that decision? That's probably what the nomination process is for the Metal grammy award. You could say they do that for all the categories, but with the pop, rap, and main album of the year awards or whatever they appear to use some sort of objective analysis like sales and airplay or something (not necessarily a good reason but still a reason). With the Metal category it's like "Fuck it, let's just choose these 5" and then when they choose a winner they either go for name recognition or who's been around longer (which sometimes ends up being the same band). It's really the only way to explain why there's so many nominations of covers and live versions of older songs. If you're gonna do a random grab bag of nominations then fine, but at least choose studio recordings of actual new songs. There was 1 year where 3 of the 5 nominations were live songs.

Also, Deftones are awesome. "Elite" > you.

Nope. Opeth > Elite and Deftones in general.

AnthG
02-08-2014, 10:13 PM
...What the fuck does Opeth have to do with anything. I even went back to your article to see if you put them in your suggestion to replace Deftones but you didn't. dafuq am I missing?

slapguitarer
02-09-2014, 12:05 AM
...What the fuck does Opeth have to do with anything. I even went back to your article to see if you put them in your suggestion to replace Deftones but you didn't. dafuq am I missing?

Dude you've been here for a while you should get that c'mon.

kalfitegrdan
02-10-2014, 12:56 AM
I was more or less with you until you said positive things about Volbeat. Deftones aren't very good, but even they're better than Volbeat. And over a very competent Sabbath album/song? Hogwash. Your fake Grammys were rigged. ;)

JRA
02-10-2014, 06:04 AM
I'd have given it to the Sabbath song if the second half of the song didn't sound like it was ripping off Hole in The Sky. Plus that Volbeat song rules!

Alduin
02-10-2014, 11:57 AM
But its not just Volbeat.....

Its Volbeat with KING FUCKING DIAMOND

AnthG
02-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Good point. I guess that makes the FFDP song they did with Rob Halford a good song too then.

I don't have an opinion about Volbeat, but I think you can see my point.

JRA
02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
In Volbeat's particular case, they wrote a good song. The award is best "performance" not best metal artist of the year.