PDA

View Full Version : Satan announces first ever North American tour

PVH5150
02-04-2014, 03:37 PM
http://bravewords-public.s3.amazonaws.com/images/p18fvguche1vo114pf10og17jc1ian4.jpg

Travis The Dragon
02-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Why would a "legendary" (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/legendary-nwobhm-band-satan-announces-first-ever-north-american-tour/) band who I've never even heard of only play 6 shows on their very first tour of here? If they're so "legendary", they should not only be doing a much larger tour, but also be playing much larger sized venues.

PVH5150
02-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Why would a "legendary" (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/legendary-nwobhm-band-satan-announces-first-ever-north-american-tour/) band who I've never even heard of only play 6 shows on their very first tour of here? If they're so "legendary", they should not only be doing a much larger tour, but also be playing much larger sized venues.

Testing the waters, maybe?

I kinda remember Diamond Head doing a short run on their first NA tour a few years ago, and they've been back twice since.

sfhui
02-04-2014, 04:10 PM

You never heard of Satan?

Travis The Dragon
02-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Testing the waters, maybe?

I kinda remember Diamond Head doing a short run on their first NA tour a few years ago, and they've been back twice since.
Ah, that makes sense to test things out if you've never been here.
You never heard of Satan?
There's a lot of bands mentioned on here that I've never heard of.

Onioner
02-04-2014, 05:04 PM

Legendary may be a bit of a stretch for Satan, but they were responsible for one of the top NWOBHM albums and one of the all around best albums of 2013. If you haven't heard Court in the Act or their new album Life Sentence yet, do so now. Yer welcome.

Diamond Head is most certainly legendary, and their first NA tour was just two years ago I think. Hell, Saxon's 2011 tour was their first time doing a full run of the states in like ten years or something. NWOBHM bands have always been extremely under-appreciated in America with a very small number of exceptions (Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, and Motorhead are basically the only ones I can think of), so the fact that tours from those bands are few and far between is pretty understandable. As for why the tour isn't longer, I know for a fact that there was a West Coast leg planned and nearly booked, but it ended up falling apart because of A) money, B) competition from the Motorhead tour and C) venue availability. Barring that though, testing the waters is definitely a worthy strategy for these kind of bands. It worked for Saxon and their last NA tour was very extensive compared to the one before it.

Also I would totally see Satan over Queensryche any day of the week. ;)

300%_Density
02-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Hmmm. I'll have to give them a listen.

sfhui
02-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Legendary may be a bit of a stretch for Satan, but they were responsible for one of the top NWOBHM albums and one of the all around best albums of 2013. If you haven't heard Court in the Act or their new album Life Sentence yet, do so now. Yer welcome.

Diamond Head is most certainly legendary, and their first NA tour was just two years ago I think. Hell, Saxon's 2011 tour was their first time doing a full run of the states in like ten years or something. NWOBHM bands have always been extremely under-appreciated in America with a very small number of exceptions (Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, and Motorhead are basically the only ones I can think of), so the fact that tours from those bands are few and far between is pretty understandable. As for why the tour isn't longer, I know for a fact that there was a West Coast leg planned and nearly booked, but it ended up falling apart because of A) money, B) competition from the Motorhead tour and C) venue availability. Barring that though, testing the waters is definitely a worthy strategy for these kind of bands. It worked for Saxon and their last NA tour was very extensive compared to the one before it.

Also I would totally see Satan over Queensryche any day of the week. ;)

at least I can expect to see Satan in Cali sometime in the near future:party:
I hope more NWOBHM bands do this

markrz
02-04-2014, 06:58 PM
"Legendary" is a grossly over-exaggerated word in a lot of press releases. It should mean something other than "band that released a good album decades ago". That deserves credit, and I am excited for the show, but "legendary" is too rich a word to be applied. In my opinion.

Travis The Dragon
02-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Ya, I totally agree about the whole "legendary" thing. I did check out some Satan and do like what I'm hearing a lot. They have a great singer for sure!

Maideneer
02-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Just found a short article on this new Black Bear Bar...just 2 doors down from the Music Hall of Williamsburg (formerly North Six). Yes this is the stage, is there even room for a drum set? Hope everyone brought their mini-Marshall practice amps.

http://distilleryimage0.ak.instagram.com/3d68f3cc72b011e3b43e1234561eacd8_8.jpg

treghet
02-10-2014, 02:06 AM
As for why the tour isn't longer, I know for a fact that there was a West Coast leg planned and nearly booked, but it ended up falling apart because of A) money, B) competition from the Motorhead tour and C) venue availability.

Don't write it off just yet. According to BBQ Booking they are still talking about doing a second leg.

John The Drummer
02-10-2014, 05:53 AM
North American Tour =/= East Coast Only
Eastern US Tour = East Coast Only

moobys37
02-10-2014, 09:54 AM
North American Tour =/= East Coast Only
Eastern US Tour = East Coast Only

Montreal date makes it a North American tour. Eastern North America, but still.