PDA

View Full Version : So what do you actively listen to that isn't rock or metal?

ravenheart
01-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Inspired by TheWildAndTheYoung's typically teenage narrow tastes (we were all there).

What does everyone actively listen to that isn't rock or metal, now they've grown up? And I don't mean "guilty pleasures" because feeling guilty about listening to music is fucking pathetic.

For me:

A crap-ton of blues (examples available on request)
Paul Weller
The grittier end of folk (examples available on request)
Neo-folk (examples available on request)
"Outlaw" country (examples available on request)
Certain albums by the likes of Alanis Morissette, Joan Osborne, Sheryl Crow, Meredith Brooks, etc.
Depeche Mode

There's probably a little more, but that's the main stuff.

SomewhereInTime72
01-29-2014, 07:34 AM
When I was 15, I discovered prog rock and I stopped being an OMG METAL ONLY guy. Metal is still my overall clear-cut favorite, and prog-rock in 2nd place behind it. Since then I've expanded to be fairly into Jazz, Hip hop, and a pretty large range of electronic musics. No discriminating if it makes my ears happy.

adamclark52
01-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Some post-rock, some hip-hop (old school 1990s stuff) and a hell of a lot of video game music. I really like hard trance too. And the odd pop or top-40 single, but I never buy those albums.

ravenheart
01-29-2014, 07:46 AM
And the odd pop or top-40 single, but I never buy those albums.

Never seem to have it in them to make a whole album that's actually good, do they?

TheWildAndTheYoung
01-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Video game music, Movie soundtracks, just soundtrack music in general really.

ravenheart
01-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Video game music, Movie soundtracks, just soundtrack music in general really.

While playing the games or watching the movies doesn't count.

TheWildAndTheYoung
01-29-2014, 07:57 AM
While playing the games or watching the movies doesn't count.

I'm very aware of that thank you.

BRAman22
01-29-2014, 08:11 AM
I listen to a decent amount of rap/hip-hop type of stuff. G-Eazy, Kanye, and Tupac would have to be my favorites.

markrz
01-29-2014, 08:50 AM
I like some electric blues like Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, etc. (Johnny Winter will probably be my next concert; he's playing here at the end of this week.)

Also a lot of jazz fusion, some of which is pretty similar to rock anyway.

I like some traditional Celtic music, like Altan, who I was very lucky to see play in March 2012. Fantastic.

I like a lot of pop music too, particularly the variety that leans towards rock (as opposed to dance/club/R&B).

For classical I tend to like smaller-scale stuff: solo pieces, quartets, concertos that revolve around one featured instrument.

ravenheart
01-29-2014, 08:59 AM
I like some electric blues like Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, etc. (Johnny Winter will probably be my next concert; he's playing here at the end of this week.)

Saw Johnny last year. He was superb.

For classical I tend to like smaller-scale stuff: solo pieces, quartets, concertos that revolve around one featured instrument.

I think I'm the opposite here.

mankvill
01-29-2014, 09:18 AM
RQy54gw-pls

eGWLJz0a0YA

JzojLBGZoN4

IlEkvbRmfrA

mxaYgIhjsFs

6DJ3E135QeU

AnthG
01-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Well when you exclude rock music as a whole, I guess pretty much just rap. The only rap artists i'm an active fan of (e.g. not just a couple of songs here or there) are Eminem, Tech N9ne, Nas, and DMX.

I do enjoy God is An Astronaut, who are more of an instrumental post-rock band. Mindless Self Indulgence is one of my favourite bands, and while they have a lot of EDM and a few hip hop influences, they're still rooted in rock music.

MetalIsArt
01-29-2014, 09:53 AM
ADELE
Talking Heads
Some "local" artists that sing in Dutch
Hooverphonic
Massive Attack
Portishead
Soundtracks (David Arnold, Hans Zimmer, John Williams,...)

christopher
01-29-2014, 09:56 AM
I would like to hear about your Outlaw Country selection. I love the genre. Do you also like bluegrass? I'm going to see a great band tonight called Jayke Orvis and the Broken Band. You might like them. Very talented musicians.

slapguitarer
01-29-2014, 10:52 AM
everyting expet cuntry and [c]rap :)

MetalIsArt
01-29-2014, 11:29 AM
I like Enya too.

elturtleboy
01-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Well besides Metal.....

Punk. I grew up on it and listen to it as much(maybe more) than metal.
80's New Wave (Devo,Blondie)
Hip-Hop/Rap(not just old skool. I like a lot of new stuff)
Some Alternative (RHCP,Strokes)
Eletronica (Moby,Fatboy Slim)
Grunge
Some Ska. I used to love it now im super picky (Operation Ivy,Aquabats)
Reggae. Like once a year
Some Psychobilly (Tiger Army,Rev Horton Heat)
Little country (Hank III,Johnny Cash)
Rock N Roll (Elvis,Jerry Lee Lewis)
And one Gwen Stephani album.

John The Drummer
01-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Not a whole lot, sadly, but....

Punk - Just getting into it some more. I'm sure this still counts in the "rock/metal" category, but whatevs.

Hip Hop/Rap - I never thought I'd ever like Hip Hop or Rap after my small phase in Middle School, thought it sucked, was stupid, hated it so much... Wu Tang Clan and Dr. Dre are now my go to artists when I don't know what to listen to. ;)

TonyD
01-29-2014, 12:15 PM
uhhh... uh... Pink Floyd?

BloodoftheKings
01-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Hip hop
Some electronic music (typically stuff that falls under the IDM label)
Depeche Mode
Fionna Apple
Leonard Choen

mastodon421
01-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Hip-hop is pretty much the only stuff I listen to that that doesn't fall under the rock/metal/punk/alternative umbrella though I like some electronic music and new-wave R&B like Frank Ocean and The Weeknd.

dcmetal108
01-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Older country : Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, etc

Bluegrass / whatever its considered : Jake Oylvires (I know I butchered that spelling), Goddamn Gallows

Tons of Hardcore

Very little deathcore anymore : Mostly stuff like Whitechapel, Winds Of Plague, Thy Art Is Murder

Tons of pop music : Katy Perry, Lorde, Maroon 5, Taylor Swift

Gangsta Rap : Ice T And The Bodycount. Ice Cube, NWA, Wu Tang

Then whatever we consider : Elton John

Also I listen to comedy albums

Finally I listen to TONS OF PODCASTS.

Grindcore : AxNx, ACxDC, Pig Destoryer, Puig Destoryer

powerslave_85
01-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Hip-hop: Kanye, Wu-Tang (and various members of Wu-Tang), Talib Kweli, Beastie Boys, MIA, Frank Ocean, Notorious B.I.G, Jay-Z, Nas, Busta Rhymes

Pop: Tegan and Sara, Ke$ha, Taylor Swift, Lorde, Regina Spektor, Fiona Apple, Haim, Le Tigre, Nicki Minaj, Ellie Goulding

I also like bluegrass and old-school country, folk and Americana. I've been meaning to try digging into soul and Motown stuff too.

christopher
01-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Bluegrass / whatever its considered : Jake Oylvires (I know I butchered that spelling)

Did you mean Jayke Orvis by any chance? :lol:

illuminatus917
01-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Post-rock.

Lots and lots of post-rock.

Oh, and this:

Pink Floyd

I also listen to soundtracks, concertos and band compositions (like Jacob de Haan) on a near-daily basis.

dcmetal108
01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Did you mean Jayke Orvis by any chance? :lol:

Yep, I always fuck up his name.

christopher
01-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Yep, I always fuck up his name.

haha for sure. His last album was my number one album for last year. I'm going to go catch him and James Hunnicutt tonight. They're such amazing people. If you haven't heard James, give him a listen to.

AnthG
01-29-2014, 03:42 PM
So clearly you guys didn't understand the part that said "That isn't rock or metal" when you're listing punk, alternative, hardcore, and grindcore.

El Gordo
01-29-2014, 03:42 PM
:lol: Not a hell of a lot, really.

christopher
01-29-2014, 04:03 PM
So clearly you guys didn't understand the part that said "That isn't rock or metal" when you're listing punk, alternative, hardcore, and grindcore.

I was thinking the same thing.

JRA
01-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Billy Joel

dcmetal108
01-29-2014, 05:23 PM
haha for sure. His last album was my number one album for last year. I'm going to go catch him and James Hunnicutt tonight. They're such amazing people. If you haven't heard James, give him a listen to.

I've checked him out and liked him from your past recommendations.

RAZOR
01-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Modest Mouse.

slapguitarer
01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Modest Mouse.

>"So what do you actively listen to that isn't rock or metal?"
>Modest Mouse

:dorky:

Onioner
01-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Hip Hop: Not a ton of active listening, but I always bump Nas and Mos Def when driving for some reason and there are some albums I do love when I'm in the mood. Still looking to get into more of this genre, Sep's hip hop thread has been a goldmine.

R&B/Soul/Funk: James Brown is awesome all the time, and Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder is one of my favorite albums. I also recently picked up an Al Green greatest hits album that fricken rules. Mothership Connection by Parliament is also fucking awesome and is one of the best late night driving albums ever. If Mitch Ryder goes under here, his All Hits album is just way too much fun. There's some others, but the above is what I regularly listen to.

Blues/Oldies: I've casually been into blues and early '50s rock and roll for years and years, and though I wouldn't say I "actively" listen to it, I always love the music when I'm in the mood for it. I've been digging Howlin' Wolf a lot lately. If SRV counts, he's always been a favorite since I was somewhat young. I also spent the last year getting into Little Richard. He's just fucking awesome in the same over the top way that James Brown is.

Disco: Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is MY JAM.

Secret Chiefs 3: I don't know what genre they are, but I don't think they're rock or metal and they rule. It's like surf music from hell, but with random exotic shit going on.

Also Soundtrack to Shaft. 'Nuff said.

And I don't mean "guilty pleasures" because feeling guilty about listening to music is fucking pathetic.

This friends, is truth.

RAZOR
01-29-2014, 07:20 PM
>"So what do you actively listen to that isn't rock or metal?"
>Modest Mouse

:dorky:

I never really considered them rock. :eyes:

shut up Slappy.

maidenpriest
01-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Hmm...not a whole lot. Some musicals (Sweeney Todd, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked) and soundtracks (a lot of Disney). And like Manks, the occasional K-Pop. :P

ravenheart
01-30-2014, 01:38 AM
I would like to hear about your Outlaw Country selection. I love the genre. Do you also like bluegrass? I'm going to see a great band tonight called Jayke Orvis and the Broken Band. You might like them. Very talented musicians.

Nothing revolutionary here, I must admit. Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Jr., The Highwaymen, Shooter Jennings, Townes Van Zandt (cross-over here between folk and country), and a little by the likes of Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Joe Shaver, Merle Haggard, Scott H. Biram, Bob Wayne, etc.

Definitely want to expand the range I listen to at some stage.

Bluegrass requires incredible skill, and I totally respect musicians who do it, but no, I don't generally like it.

MetalIsArt
01-30-2014, 03:51 AM
uhhh... uh... Pink Floyd?

Purrfection.

kalfitegrdan
01-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Hip-hop/Rap - I've been listening to a bunch of hip-hop lately and generally enjoy anything from the old school stuff (Boogie Down Productions, N.W.A.) to some newer shit (Kendrick Lamar, A$ap Rocky). I really enjoy stuff with somewhat witty lyrics like Tyler, the Creator and Childish Gambino. Also, been liking what I'm hearing of the "trap rap" or whatever lately.

Post-rock - God is an Astronaut and Mogwai in particular lately.

Pop - I have a soft spot for really upbeat shitty pop music. I usually stop what I'm doing at work and will listen when stuff like "Slow Down" by Selena Gomez and "Sweet Nothing" by Calvin Harris come on the radio at work. I actively listen to shit like Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Lorde too.

Electronic - I used to be obsessed with electronic music. Big beat like The Prodigy and Crystal Method. Trance of any kind like Infected Mushroom, ATB. Eurodance like Basshunter and Darude. I was big on dubstep when it was first gaining popularity.

Arabic/Middle Eastern music - I've always been big on anything Middle Eastern sounding. My roommates and I used to smoke hookahs for hours on end playing the "Middle Eastern" tag radio station on last.fm. I fucking loved Karl Sanders albums.

Classical - I always have the "classics" from a lot of classical composers in my iTunes library. Also, I really enjoy Vitamin String Quartet who do classical covers of contemporary music. Check (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a9CaThAzlE) it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I48Pwwc2VAo) out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYrMVcMMGAU).

Humppa - Weird Finnish polka type shit. The only band I know is Elakelaiset who, continuing with the covers thing, do humppa covers of popular songs. I fucking love this weird shit. Check (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ottk2kY1_cs) it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRZlXvjbH5k) out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhtszrTRbAo). The best part of seeing Korpiklaani on their last tour was they played Elakelaiset over the speakers after Korpiklaani finished.

Aggrotech - Basically a mixture of club music, harsh vocals and horror movie soundtracks. I absolutely love it. Check (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ32FELGp9s) it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtwgAhZjBHU) out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNm6u8oUjw).

I never could really get into much in the ways of blues or country, but I'm always open to suggestions.

smearCampaign
01-30-2014, 05:38 AM
Electronic
Big Beat (The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, The Crystal Method)
Experimental IDM (Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher)
Psy-Trance (Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Ott)
Electro-House (deadmau5, MSTRKRFT, Feed Me)
DnB (Dieselboy, Ed Rush & Optical, LTJ Bukem, Photek)
Detroit Techno (Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Carl Craig)
Dubstep (Benga, Skream, Bassnectar, Plastician, Rusko)
Livetronica (STS9, Lotus, EOTO, Beats Antique, Break Science)
Downtempo/Chill (Bluetech, Thievery Corporation, Air, Emancipator)
Glitch (Tipper, Heyoka, The Glitch Mob, Prefuse 73)
Trip-Hop (Portishead, Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack, Morcheeba)
Industrial (NIN, Stabbing Westward, Gravity Kills, Frontline Assembly)

Hip-Hop
Alternative Hip-Hop (Aesop Rock, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, El-P, J5, Dilated Peoples)
East Coast (Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, B.I.G., Nas, Beastie Boys)
Instrumental / Breakbeats (RJD2, DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Flying Lotus, Pretty Lights)

Soul / Funk / Motown (James Brown, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Smokey Robinson, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes)

Blues (Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker)

Jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Wynton Marsalis, John Zorn)

Female Fronted Pop Rock? (Alanis Morrissette, Lily Allen, Florence and the Machine, Bjork)

MetalIsArt
01-30-2014, 06:11 AM
Frankly, and I know I've said this before, my musical taste ranges from ADELE to Morbid Angel.

This week I was listening, amongst Gov't Mule & Rival Sons, to The National & Suzanne Vega :fist:

ravenheart
01-30-2014, 07:00 AM
Elakelaiset

Sweden Rock booked them a couple of years back.

I never could really get into much in the ways of blues or country, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Country you'll either dig or your won't. Blues though, it depends what you want from it. Could be anything from an old black guy on an acoustic guitar in the 1930s to seriously heavy riff based stuff.

MetalIsArt
01-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Sweden Rock booked them a couple of years back.

Country you'll either dig or your won't. Blues though, it depends what you want from it. Could be anything from an old black guy on an acoustic guitar in the 1930s to seriously heavy riff based stuff.

I like blues ranging from Robert Cray to Gary Moore.

ravenheart
01-30-2014, 08:39 AM
I like blues ranging from Robert Cray to Gary Moore.

"Ranging" isn't really the word for that ;)

New Robert Cray album just got announced, incidentally.

larvtard
01-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Recently a lot of avant-garde jazz and ambient, droning stuff in general (The Necks, Bohren & Der Club of Gore, Brian Eno, etc.), modern classical (Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Dawn of Midi), and also tons of slowcore, indie pop, and singer-songwriters but I think that still falls under the massive umbrella of 'rock.' As far as hip-hop, I mainly listen to older stuff (see Sep's thread) and for electronica, some synth-pop and, uh, 'Kid A.'

I still haven't really gotten into country - I'm sure I will at some point, because I get into everything at some point - but good places to start would probably be Wilco, Townes Van Zandt, and maybe some Magnolia Electric Co.

MetalIsArt
01-30-2014, 10:07 AM
"Ranging" isn't really the word for that ;)

New Robert Cray album just got announced, incidentally.

Then, what is ;)

Natrlhi
01-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Certain albums by the likes of Alanis Morissette, Joan Osborne, Sheryl Crow, Meredith Brooks, etc.
Depeche Mode
Same here.

Pop: Tegan and Sara, Ke$ha, Taylor Swift, Lorde, Regina Spektor, Fiona Apple, Haim, Le Tigre, Nicki Minaj, Ellie GouldingYup. Also Adele, Joss Stone, Amy Winehouse, Lykke Li, Joanna Newsom, Marissa Nadler, Neko Case, Tori Amos, PJ Harvey... I'm a sucker for great female vocals. :lovedup:

Post-rock.

Lots and lots of post-rock.Well, duh. :dorky:

Electronic
Big Beat (The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, The Crystal Method)
Experimental IDM (Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher)
Psy-Trance (Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Ott)
Electro-House (deadmau5, MSTRKRFT, Feed Me)
DnB (Dieselboy, Ed Rush & Optical, LTJ Bukem, Photek)
Detroit Techno (Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Carl Craig)
Dubstep (Benga, Skream, Bassnectar, Plastician, Rusko)
Livetronica (STS9, Lotus, EOTO, Beats Antique, Break Science)
Downtempo/Chill (Bluetech, Thievery Corporation, Air, Emancipator)
Glitch (Tipper, Heyoka, The Glitch Mob, Prefuse 73)
Trip-Hop (Portishead, Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack, Morcheeba)
Industrial (NIN, Stabbing Westward, Gravity Kills, Frontline Assembly)

Hip-Hop
Alternative Hip-Hop (Aesop Rock, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, El-P, J5, Dilated Peoples)
East Coast (Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, B.I.G., Nas, Beastie Boys)
Instrumental / Breakbeats (RJD2, DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Flying Lotus, Pretty Lights)

Soul / Funk / Motown (James Brown, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Smokey Robinson, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes)

Blues (Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker)

Jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Wynton Marsalis, John Zorn)

Female Fronted Pop Rock? (Alanis Morrissette, Lily Allen, Florence and the Machine, Bjork)IT'S LIKE WE'RE THE SAME PERSON. :eek:

...but seriously, this is a great thread idea. I like a huge range of music, depending on my mood. Everything from Enya to Entombed, classical to Cobalt, hip-hop to High on Fire, it's almost all fair game. I'm not a big country fan, although some of the stuff you mentioned in the country clarification post is decent. Johnny Cash was the man. I don't get into swing that much, but Diablo Swing Orchestra is THE SHIT. I don't care for K-pop or J-pop that much, and most of the stuff on the radio bores me (notwithstanding Lady Gaga and a few other exceptions as noted above). My wife listens to reggae more than I do, but I can take it in small doses. Bob Marley was the man. I definitely don't go for polka all that much.

My continuum of preferences probably goes something like this:

All things metal / post-metal / post-rock
Electronica
Interesting indie rock (whatever the hell that means - I know it when I hear it)
Selected rap / hip-hop / funk / soul
Industrial
All forms of punk
Alternative / progressive
Classic rock
Grunge
Classical
Jazz
Blues
Selected pop bullshit that doesn't suck
Reggae
Disco
Country (except Johnny Cash, Wille Nelson and Waylon Jennings)
Latin (except Shakira videos with the sound turned off)
Polka
Hair metal
Justin Bieber / Jonas Brothers / Nickelback

I listen to 1-3 constantly, 4-8 somewhat regularly, 9-13 occasionally, 14-17 almost never, and 18-20 I avoid like the fucking plague.

XDoomsayerX
01-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Well obviously post-hardcore,hardcore, and pop-punk. Been venturing into post-rock recently(God is an Astronaut, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky).

Ones that dont fall under rock or metal (Gots to have that music to get hype wit da niggas!):

Electronica/EDM/Dubstep
Hip-Hop/RAP
Pop

Datjazzfusion
01-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Jazz Fusion (no shit)
Jazz
Classical
Post-Rock
Pagan/Medieval/etc Folk
Experimental music
others
Tom Waits

John The Drummer
01-30-2014, 11:44 AM
I guess I can add some Pop to my list as well.... the radio shows on the Top 40 stations are really enjoyable, so I often find myself too lazy to change the station and have been caught enjoying Lorde..and... umm.... others who I don't know the names of :D

ravenheart
01-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Then, what is ;)

"Exactly like" ;)

300%_Density
01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm starting to get into blues. I had no idea where to start at so I figured hell I'll go Tweet Neil Fallon. Couple of their songs were from old blues songs so I'll trust his judgement. He Tweeted me back and told me Hound Dog Taylor, Elmore James, Skip James, Junior Kimbrough, Koko Taylor, Big Mama Thornton, Charlie Patton, John Lee Hooker. Then sent another Tweet that said Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Hoodoo Man Blues is fire.

If they are good enough for Neil then it's good enough fore to try. I've liked some stuff I've heard from Skip James but I haven't got to make much of a dent yet.

ravenheart
01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm starting to get into blues. I had no idea where to start at so I figured hell I'll go Tweet Neil Fallon. Couple of their songs were from old blues songs so I'll trust his judgement. He Tweeted me back and told me Hound Dog Taylor, Elmore James, Skip James, Junior Kimbrough, Koko Taylor, Big Mama Thornton, Charlie Patton, John Lee Hooker. Then sent another Tweet that said Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Hoodoo Man Blues is fire.

If they are good enough for Neil then it's good enough fore to try. I've liked some stuff I've heard from Skip James but I haven't got to make much of a dent yet.

Can't recommend Elmore James enough. Also Sonny Boy Williamson, Lightnin' Hopkins and Freddie King.

And of course Muddy Waters, Albert King, Howlin' Wolf and Robert Johnson go without saying.

All of that is just one avenue of blues though (well, two if you want to separate Detroit and Chicago).

300%_Density
01-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Can't recommend Elmore James enough. Also Sonny Boy Williamson, Lightnin' Hopkins and Freddie King.

And of course Muddy Waters, Albert King, Howlin' Wolf and Robert Johnson go without saying.

All of that is just one avenue of blues though (well, two if you want to separate Detroit and Chicago).

I can never get enough suggestions on blues.

ravenheart
01-30-2014, 03:06 PM
I can never get enough suggestions on blues.

There was this guy called Hendrix... ;)

I could do a thread on this stuff if people would find it useful?

Datjazzfusion
01-30-2014, 03:29 PM

Do it.

DisposableJustice
01-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Right now it is The Doors; I loved them as a kid (introduce to me by my parents) and love them today; I know they are rock but they have some classical and jazz elements in some of their stuff

300%_Density
01-30-2014, 03:56 PM

Not a big Nu Metal guy. This Hendrix guy played down tuned guitars right? :D

ravenheart
01-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Not a big Nu Metal guy. This Hendrix guy played down tuned guitars right? :D

Practically pioneered it.

mankvill
01-30-2014, 03:59 PM
>wanting a thread about blues recommendations
>not wanting a thread about kpop recommendations

I'm leaving here for mayhem fest forums

PVH5150
01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Lauryn Hill (before she went full Mustaine)

300%_Density
01-30-2014, 04:40 PM
>wanting a thread about blues recommendations
>not wanting a thread about kpop recommendations

I'm leaving here for mayhem fest forums

Because nobody here is a 12 year old girl?

SomewhereInTime72
01-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Kpop is for fully grown men, though. It's about staring at girls, not being a girl.

.......I think.

mankvill
01-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Kpop is for fully grown men, though. It's about staring at girls, not being a girl.

.......I think.

Exactly

300%_Density
01-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Exactly

Boy you sure showed me didn't you?

es156
01-30-2014, 07:03 PM
18. Polka
19. Hair metal

:lol:

rjturtle9
01-30-2014, 07:07 PM
I've been really digging the new John Mayer stuff.

mankvill
01-30-2014, 07:09 PM

kt3hzGla8r4

dcmetal108
01-30-2014, 09:22 PM

This. It's a really damn good album.

ravenheart
01-31-2014, 01:37 AM
Because nobody here is a 12 year old girl?

No, it's because this is about music, not paedophilia ;)

MetalIsArt
01-31-2014, 02:17 AM
"Exactly like" ;)

Guitar heroes ;)

I like some funk too, like Prince. I have Sign O The Times & The Rainbow Children somewhere and I love The Gold Experience.

ravenheart
01-31-2014, 02:49 AM
I like some funk too, like Prince. I have Sign O The Times & The Rainbow Children somewhere and I love The Gold Experience.

TM Stevens or GTFO.

MetalIsArt
01-31-2014, 03:45 AM
TM Stevens or GTFO.

Wut?

ravenheart
01-31-2014, 04:15 AM
Wut?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmgNHwDCd-g

MetalIsArt
01-31-2014, 09:55 AM
Slap that bass :allan:

I'm a scuba diver for your love, supernatural!

I LOVE THIS SHIT!!! (And especially because I want to learn bass myself)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Flamenco guitar music. Specifically Strunz and Farah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewK2_-IRTg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

kalfitegrdan
02-01-2014, 04:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmgNHwDCd-g

Awesome.

Bengals279
02-02-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH N9NE!!!

ravenheart
02-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Slap that bass :allan:

I'm a scuba diver for your love, supernatural!

I LOVE THIS SHIT!!! (And especially because I want to learn bass myself)

Awesome.

Not quite as good, but also check out the album 'Brothers In Arms' by Temple of Soul. It's Stevens on bass, Vernon Black on guitar, Michael Walden on drums, and Clarence Clemons from The E Street Band on sax.

Stevens also played with Stevie Salas, who is a god, if a bit of a lazy god.

NickLed19
02-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Hip Hop:Kendrick Lamar, Big K.R.I.T, ASAP Rocky, Kanye, Jay Z, Eminem, J Cole, etc
Pop-Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc.

ravenheart
02-03-2014, 03:59 PM

Do it.

Haven't forgotten this. I'll do it when I have time.

mankvill
02-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Part 2

KQEabAesufg

TNFyt1mhrAc

uvRBUw_Ls2o

w7nNF0FJ3-I

sPLEbAVjiLA

L7p_C9OlN40

ravenheart
02-06-2014, 03:28 AM
Blues: the only way to make Eric Clapton tolerable.

MetalIsArt
03-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Lately: a lot of Bruce Springsteen (especially Darkness On The Edge Of Town) and Elvis Costello.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Lately: a lot of Bruce Springsteen (especially Darkness On The Edge Of Town) and Elvis Costello.

I would definitely consider most of Bruce's stuff rock, Elvis Costello no, but Bruce yes. I personally really dig Darkness as well, Badlands rocks :rocker:.

MPF
03-19-2014, 01:04 PM
The Roots, MC Chris and David Allen Coe fit the bill for me.

christopher
03-19-2014, 01:26 PM
David Allen Coe fit the bill for me.

I fucking love DAC but will never be able to see him live again. I have 33 of his albums and there is a good amount of music among them for him to play in the 90 minutes he normally plays. He literally chose to play the worst selection of songs and then covered Kid Rock. The only good song he did was a cover of The Midnight Rider. I heard it's a hit or miss with him, but I don't need to spend $25 again for a chance to get a decent show.

MPF
03-19-2014, 02:11 PM
I fucking love DAC but will never be able to see him live again. I have 33 of his albums and there is a good amount of music among them for him to play in the 90 minutes he normally plays. He literally chose to play the worst selection of songs and then covered Kid Rock. The only good song he did was a cover of The Midnight Rider. I heard it's a hit or miss with him, but I don't need to spend $25 again for a chance to get a decent show.

Damn that is depressing.

Although to be fair my favorite DAC songs are off of 18 X Rated Hits and I'm pretty sure none of those will fly anymore :lol:

christopher
03-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Damn that is depressing.

Although to be fair my favorite DAC songs are off of 18 X Rated Hits and I'm pretty sure none of those will fly anymore :lol:

I think he plays like two songs from that album once in a while. Cum Stains on the Pillow and that other one about questioning having relations with a man who isn't white. I really hate that record for being so racist.

MPF
03-19-2014, 02:46 PM
I think he plays like two songs from that album once in a while. Cum Stains on the Pillow and that other one about questioning having relations with a man who isn't white. I really hate that record for being so racist.

As racist as that song is, it's predominately black musicians playing on it, which makes it even more strange.

I hate that song a lot actually, but I can see that being a real hit in the Deep South.

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 03:25 AM
I would definitely consider most of Bruce's stuff rock, Elvis Costello no, but Bruce yes. I personally really dig Darkness as well, Badlands rocks :rocker:.

Yeah, he rocks. But it's not methul, so... :allan:

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 05:15 AM
Yeah, he rocks. But it's not methul, so... :allan:

Only some of it is actually rock, to be fair.

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 06:20 AM
Only some of it is actually rock, to be fair.

You are clearly Waitin' On A Sunny Day ;)

Adam Raised A Cain is my favorite Springsteen song.

Oliver's Army is my favorite Costello song.

slapguitarer
03-20-2014, 06:36 AM
I guess the only music I listen to that ain't rock or metal is hip-hop and jazz. Some of my music classes have introduced me to some badass 20th century music though. Stravinsky's The Rite Of Spring is brutal.

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 06:39 AM
Adam Raised A Cain is my favorite Springsteen song.

Racing In The Street for me, the 'Live 1975-85' version specifically.

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Racing In The Street for me, the 'Live 1975-85' version specifically.

Ah yes.

My favorite E-Street Band era is 1975-1985, so... :)

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Ah yes.

My favorite E-Street Band era is 1975-1985, so... :)

That triple album is gold.

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 08:34 AM
That triple album is gold.

Been a while that I listened to it, frankly.

ravenheart
03-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Been a while that I listened to it, frankly.

Fix that shit.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-20-2014, 09:13 AM
My favorite song by Bruce has to be either Because The Night or Land Of Hope And Dreams, but my favorite Bruce album is Born In The U.S.A. I know it's his most popular but I love every song off that record.

MetalIsArt
03-20-2014, 11:31 AM
My favorite song by Bruce has to be either Because The Night or Land Of Hope And Dreams, but my favorite Bruce album is Born In The U.S.A. I know it's his most popular but I love every song off that record.

Born In The USA, the album. Happy music with dark lyrics, yes, yes...

@ Ravenheart, I got high hopes ;)

moobys37
04-10-2014, 12:00 PM
I've been listening to the new Austra recently and it's fantastic.

Nick_to_the_face
04-10-2014, 09:15 PM
I listen to a ridiculous amount of pop punk

Nausea
07-01-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm a big fan of many genre's of music, and generally have the opinion that good music is better than any one specific genre. In the last year, classical has been one of my favorite's and these albums regularly receive airtime on my iPhone depending on my mood :

http://i.haymarket.net.au/News/20110211042242_Takacs-Quartet-Beethoven-Late-String-Quartets.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61SZqp0FHAL.jpg

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2003/Jan03/Bach_GoldbergVariations.jpg