PDA

View Full Version : Can Mustaine get any Douchier?

jhdeity
01-21-2014, 06:28 PM
My musician friends still love him but other than This Day We Fight he hasn't written a decent song in 17 years to me.

How can he not know terrible music when he hears it? He doesn't even play TDWF live because he's so f'n dense!

http://www.metalinjection.net/mustaine-mania/dave-mustaine-thinks-you-dont-like-megadeths-super-collider-because-you-only-listened-to-it-once

BloodoftheKings
01-21-2014, 06:37 PM
I didn't listen to it at all.

[A] Megadeth [album] is not a record you can listen to and get everything in one listen. There's a lot of moving parts. The lyrics are pretty provocative and pretty thought out; you can't just read through the lyrics and understand all the double entendres and all the hidden meanings. I consider myself, being a New York Times best-selling author, to have a pretty good grasp of The King's English, and I try and use that.

lol

jhdeity
01-21-2014, 06:52 PM
I didn't listen to it at all.

lol

Exactly. He is officially the Kanye West of metal.

SomewhereInTime72
01-21-2014, 06:54 PM
:(

TonyD
01-21-2014, 07:48 PM
My musician friends still love him but other than This Day We Fight he hasn't written a decent song in 17 years to me.

Ahem... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGZGnLR8qeU)

jhdeity
01-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Ahem... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGZGnLR8qeU)

Kick the Chair is the only song on that album that doesn't totally blow goats to me. It's barely heavier than Risk...

detuned
01-21-2014, 08:05 PM
"We're the most popular we've been, I think, since 'Countdown' right now. Record sales don't really correlate popularity, because of piracy and stuff like that. But I honestly believe we're the biggest right now we've been since 'Countdown'. It's a great feeling." (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeths-dave-mustaine-were-the-biggest-right-now-weve-been-since-countdown-to-extinction/)

AnthG
01-21-2014, 09:03 PM
"The problem is, with critics, it's their job — to criticize things.

"The fans spoke; they like the record.

It's funny because most of the backlash i've seen against the record was from fans, and I've seen it listed on a bunch of top 10 lists from websites and magazines.

justinm4bama
01-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Ol' Dave Mustardstain, when will you ever shut your mouth?

TonyD
01-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Kick the Chair is the only song on that album that doesn't totally blow goats to me. It's barely heavier than Risk...

1) Implying heavy = good
2) You honestly don't like Blackmail the Universe?

Bengals279
01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
I don't see anything douchy about this. I mean he's trying to defend his work. He may come off a little arrogant but I'm sure a lot of you would react the same if you put a record out that you believed was good and people shit all over you

SomewhereInTime72
01-21-2014, 09:57 PM
A lot of us would be douches in that case.

If he really wasn't just being a douche, and really believed Super Collider was as great as he says, he wouldn't feel the need to say these things. If you're personally satisfied with your music, you shouldn't be responding to criticisms in an assholish way. :hmm:

ravenheart
01-22-2014, 02:18 AM
"We're the most popular we've been, I think, since 'Countdown' right now. Record sales don't really correlate popularity, because of piracy and stuff like that. But I honestly believe we're the biggest right now we've been since 'Countdown'. It's a great feeling." (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeths-dave-mustaine-were-the-biggest-right-now-weve-been-since-countdown-to-extinction/)

That part is actually correct, though.

Onioner
01-22-2014, 02:25 AM
That part is actually correct, though.

I'm pretty sure that Megadeth's recent peak of popularity was probably in 2010 when they did American Carnage with Slayer. Since then Dave went loco again, the music's gotten bad and the band's toured the same markets way too much.

MetalIsArt
01-22-2014, 03:12 AM
Christians, what are you gonna do with them?

ravenheart
01-22-2014, 03:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that Megadeth's recent peak of popularity was probably in 2010 when they did American Carnage with Slayer. Since then Dave went loco again, the music's gotten bad and the band's toured the same markets way too much.

Nah. They're getting more international tours and more high-profile festival placings than ever compared to the last 20 years. He's definitely right.

I agree there's an element of over-saturation in some places though, especially in North America.

hellawaits77ny
01-22-2014, 04:46 AM
This article gave me a good chuckle, at least.

jhdeity
01-22-2014, 07:30 AM
1) Implying heavy = good
2) You honestly don't like Blackmail the Universe?

Recycled riffs = bad music to me. Then it just plods along like 99% of the stuff he has written in the last 17 years.

The biggest "double entendre" I see is him being an elitist sheep. He honestly believes he's a genius who writes amazing, innovative riffs with poignant, clever lyrics.

He is a delusional regurgitating assclown. There's a triple entendre for ya there Dave. hahaha

jhdeity
01-22-2014, 07:32 AM
This article gave me a good chuckle, at least.

Yeah it's hard not to read that article and laugh...

Also, what writers had Super Collider in their Top 10? They should be fired on the spot

ravenheart
01-22-2014, 07:43 AM
Also, what writers had Super Collider in their Top 10? They should be fired on the spot

I think BraveWords did, but they've got a homosexual relationship with MegaDave, so they don't really count.

He's given them exclusive news before because they love each other.

MetalIsArt
01-22-2014, 08:01 AM
*Puts on Youthanasia*

AnthG
01-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Yeah it's hard not to read that article and laugh...

Can't remember the names of the websites off hand but I do remember seeing a few, usually through my facebook news feed.

justinm4bama
01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
*Puts on Youthanasia*

Does he still want to tour for this album?

MetalIsArt
01-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Does he still want to tour for this album?

I fear not. ;)

300%_Density
01-22-2014, 11:25 AM
I still think I'm one of the few that doesn't really care for much from Youthanasia. I've tried so many times to listen to it and try to like it and I just can't do it. It is the less exciting version of Countdown to me.

SomewhereInTime72
01-22-2014, 08:02 PM
I still think I'm one of the few that doesn't really care for much from Youthanasia. I've tried so many times to listen to it and try to like it and I just can't do it. It is the less exciting version of Countdown to me.

An album less good than Countdown can still be pretty awesome.

Somewhat relatedly, with how bad and disappointing Megadeth have been lately, I often find myself forgetting just how awesome of a band they have been, historically. :bouville:

ravenheart
01-28-2014, 05:41 AM
Nick Menza: "I had a blast at NAMM hanging with fans and old friends I also made a major mistake for trying to say hello to Dave Mustaine at the Dean booth which he totally blew me off and wouldn't even look at me then had his hired goons / bodyguard tell me go away, pretty lame! I'm over it and life goes on!"

TonyD
01-28-2014, 10:56 AM
:lol:
also fuck, because I had my Rust In Peace vinyl jacket and didn't get it signed by anybody since the Ellefson signing was canceled, the line for Friedman got cut off, I wasn't there Sunday for Mustaine, and I didn't even know Menza was there.

hellawaits77ny
01-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Nick Menza: "I had a blast at NAMM hanging with fans and old friends I also made a major mistake for trying to say hello to Dave Mustaine at the Dean booth which he totally blew me off and wouldn't even look at me then had his hired goons / bodyguard tell me go away, pretty lame! I'm over it and life goes on!"

Such a shame.

El Gordo
01-28-2014, 04:46 PM

Such a classy guy. Do you have a source?

Coma323
01-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Such a classy guy. Do you have a source?

https://www.facebook.com/menzanation/posts/10202636951906988?stream_ref=10

jhdeity
01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
I had no idea this got moved. By definition it is Propaganda at it's finest... hahaha

Yeah I saw the Menza comment also. Mustaine is a piece of shit, period. He holds grudges like a little 5th grade girl. Hopefully those Karma Gods he believes in reign hell on him...

JRA
01-28-2014, 07:14 PM
I avoided this thread cos frankly I didn't want to read anymore shit about Dave. Then I heard about the Menza thing and thought this was about that.

Honestly, the initial comment from Dave is no different than Lars and James defending Lulu. Particularly with the "internet nerds" comment from James.

MetalIsArt
01-29-2014, 11:18 AM
I avoided this thread cos frankly I didn't want to read anymore shit about Dave. Then I heard about the Menza thing and thought this was about that.

Honestly, the initial comment from Dave is no different than Lars and James defending Lulu. Particularly with the "internet nerds" comment from James.

Yeah, dat was stoopid.

But Dave has gone insane.

jhdeity
01-29-2014, 04:56 PM

Yeah the difference to me is how delusional Dave has become. Have you seen the video to Public Enemy #1? I only mention because he has become everything he used to stand against and talk shit about.

I know he can make great music if he wants to. This Day We Fight was one of the best songs he's written in over 20 years. Why he chruns out this other crap is beyond me...

JRA
01-29-2014, 05:11 PM
There's no question Dave has become delusional and has become everything he used to stand against.

But Metallica is worse in that regard in so many ways. Even more so because they talk so much shit about Motley Crue and nowadays Lars is more Nikki Sixx than Nikki Sixx.

The only real tangible difference is Metallica seems to know what songs to play live. Even then, I still want to punch James for being ashamed at having to play Escape. Escape alone > anything the band has written since 1991.

MetalIsArt
01-30-2014, 04:48 AM
There's no question Dave has become delusional and has become everything he used to stand against.

But Metallica is worse in that regard in so many ways. Even more so because they talk so much shit about Motley Crue and nowadays Lars is more Nikki Sixx than Nikki Sixx.

The only real tangible difference is Metallica seems to know what songs to play live. Even then, I still want to punch James for being ashamed at having to play Escape. Escape alone > anything the band has written since 1991.

We get the fact that you don't like them (anymore).

I don't like Escape that much either and RTL is my second favorite album of all times, so...

Motley Crue have great music, but too bad they always played the same and two of their members are assholes. IMHO.

MetalIsArt
01-30-2014, 04:49 AM
Yeah the difference to me is how delusional Dave has become. Have you seen the video to Public Enemy #1? I only mention because he has become everything he used to stand against and talk shit about.

I know he can make great music if he wants to. This Day We Fight was one of the best songs he's written in over 20 years. Why he chruns out this other crap is beyond me...

This Day We Fight is brilliant indeed.

But not playing songs anymore because you became a born again christian is as stupid as Chuck Norris saying that all atheists should get kicked out of the US.

ravenheart
02-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Newsted have been kicked off Megadeth's two off dates during the Soundwave Festival in Australia. Rumours are this was at MegaDave's request.

Replaced by Whitechapel, which is ludicrous.

slapguitarer
02-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Well they're both extremely bland, so it's kind of fitting.

hellawaits77ny
02-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Newsted have been kicked off Megadeth's two off dates during the Soundwave Festival in Australia. Rumours are this was at MegaDave's request.

Replaced by Whitechapel, which is ludicrous.

Typical Mustaine BS. Fuck him.

dafuq?

MetalIsArt
02-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Typical Mustaine BS. Fuck him.

dafuq?

Newkid is back with Metallica. You heard it here first.

anomynous
02-05-2014, 11:35 AM
I thought Dave & Newsted were BFFs?

Also it's confirmed Dave wanted it (http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/news/tournews/383701/megadeth-kicks-band-off-soundwave-2014-shows.htm)

mankvill
02-05-2014, 11:41 AM
There's rumors going around that Venom was kicked off The Metal Fest in Chile because of Mustaine.

Ugh.

MetalIsArt
02-05-2014, 11:49 AM
There's rumors going around that Venom was kicked off The Metal Fest in Chile because of Mustaine.

Ugh.

:eyes:

JRA
02-05-2014, 07:35 PM

Ugh.

That one I refuse to believe because Venom was a big influence on Mustaine.

ravenheart
02-06-2014, 03:14 AM
It wouldn't be the first time Venom have been kicked off a festival recently because of someone religious objecting to their presence.

Equally though, Venom can apparently barely ever be bothered to actually play shows. I'm pretty certain that in recent years they've cancelled more than they've played.

MetalIsArt
02-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Venom will play The Conjuring.

GarageMetal468
02-06-2014, 04:22 PM
That one I refuse to believe because Venom was a big influence on Mustaine.

Key word: was

JRA
02-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Key word: was

Nope, not buying that either. If Mustaine makes some comment on how classic Mercyful Fate doesn't hold up anymore, then I'll believe he's gone full Pat Robertson, but until then, I'm letting him have the benefit of the doubt.

es156
02-06-2014, 05:24 PM
MEGADETH Tour Manager - "Dave Mustaine Is Not Responsible For Booting NEWSTED Off The Soundwaves Festival"

Link (http://www.bravewords.com/news/217729)

300%_Density
02-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Seriously. What would Mustaine's motivation be to kick him off there? Outside of just not liking boring bland music? He picked him for Gigantour, they played together (did they? Can't remember) on stage. They aren't satanic or offensive. Unless there was some recent stuff happening (which god knows we'd know because Dave's feuds always find press) I just don't really see it.

MetalIsArt
02-07-2014, 01:36 AM
MEGADETH Tour Manager - "Dave Mustaine Is Not Responsible For Booting NEWSTED Off The Soundwaves Festival"

Link (http://www.bravewords.com/news/217729)

Told ya, he'll be back in Metallica.

ravenheart
02-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Newsted are now doing Soundwave off dates with Testament instead.

JRA
02-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Told ya, he'll be back in Metallica.

Yea...I don't think that's gonna happen.

MetalIsArt
02-09-2014, 02:47 AM
Yea...I don't think that's gonna happen.

Most certainly not.

anomynous
02-09-2014, 07:41 AM
We better check with Wolverinekills to be sure.

dcmetal108
02-09-2014, 09:44 AM
We better check with Wolverinekills to be sure.

:lol:

anomynous
02-09-2014, 07:14 PM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeth-pulls-out-of-soundwave-festival-after-promoter-refused-to-apologize-to-dave-mustaine/

Megadeth cancels Australian dates

DisposableJustice
02-10-2014, 09:24 AM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeth-pulls-out-of-soundwave-festival-after-promoter-refused-to-apologize-to-dave-mustaine/

The plot thickens!

or thins

or turns into sewage

in any case this is getting really good

SomewhereInTime72
02-10-2014, 08:24 PM

:hmm:

I don't like Dave.

ravenheart
02-11-2014, 02:29 AM
From the Australian promoter:

"Dave, we have been friends for a long time and I love you. Your family is like my own. But the only people being punished here are the fans.

We took instructions from your representatives and we acted on those instructions, as we would with any other artist.

I realise that you fired your agent and manager and appointed new ones during the process… And that there may have been misunderstandings or miscommunications, but none of those were at our end.

Despite all] of this, I sent you a statement regarding possible misunderstandings / miscommunications, apologising to fans, etc. … even though my people did everything by the book and correct protocol was undertaken getting approvals for supports. There are strings of emails supporting this, including ones forwarded with instructions to remove certain artists.

I am not sure where and how you believe you are owed an apology. And if you are, it should be from your own reps!

All you are doing by cancelling is punishing the fans who have had no part in any of this. Your reps approved your supports and sent clear instructions. They even approved artwork and press release. If you have a quarrel, or you were not consulted, then your issue is with your reps and not Australian reps or your old friend!

So here it is, Dave. I apologize for whatever slight you think I have done you.

So, does this mean tour is back on?”

And later...

"Nope. Total silence. Got a call from his agent apologising for his behaviour. That's about it."

IrritatedTrout
02-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Nice.

Dextrimental
02-11-2014, 08:50 AM
That's an impressive level of dickheadery. Good man Dave.

JRA
02-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Someone on Metal-archives said this Australian promoter was well known for being a shithead and was not surprised Mustaine reacted the way he did. The promoter probably put this up as damage control/trying to gain sympathy.

I'm still not ready to point the finger at Dave at this one. I do feel bad for the Australian fans though.

DisposableJustice
02-11-2014, 04:16 PM
I wonder; Megadeth has done the Soundwave Festival at least a couple times plus if I'm right it used to be called Big Day Out and I know Megadeth has done that a few times. So it is not like this is a brand new festival and a brand new promoter, Dave and the promoter seem to know each other very well, to me that is what makes this so interesting and makes me point the finger more at Dave if anything

Natrlhi
02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Dave has been a whiny douchebag bitch for decades (which is one of the reasons I've never been a Megadeth fan). This is not news.

MetalIsArt
02-12-2014, 04:24 AM
Someone on Metal-archives said this Australian promoter was well known for being a shithead and was not surprised Mustaine reacted the way he did. The promoter probably put this up as damage control/trying to gain sympathy.

I'm still not ready to point the finger at Dave at this one. I do feel bad for the Australian fans though.

He is an asshole, you can't deny that.

ravenheart
02-12-2014, 04:41 AM
Dave has been a whiny douchebag bitch for decades (which is one of the reasons I've never been a Megadeth fan). This is not news.

I don't need to like the person to like the music, but yes, Dave has hardly been the most agreeable person in forever.

JRA
02-12-2014, 05:09 AM
He is an asshole, you can't deny that.

I don't ever recall saying in this thread that he wasn't.

treghet
02-12-2014, 05:44 AM
Dave's douchiness is far more entertaining than his musical output has been over the past two decades.

MetalIsArt
02-12-2014, 06:20 AM
I don't need to like the person to like the music, but yes, Dave has hardly been the most agreeable person in forever.

Oh, he's one hell of a guitarist, but his douche-baggery has only increased since his conversion.

Luckily him acting like a crybaby over leaving Metallica is over. It's not that he was homeless or something. :tp:

DisposableJustice
02-19-2014, 09:52 AM
It just keeps getting better (not really related to MegaDave but still...)

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/02/19/jason-newsted-may-may-cancelled-australian-tour/

MetalIsArt
02-19-2014, 11:18 AM
It just keeps getting better (not really related to MegaDave but still...)

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/02/19/jason-newsted-may-may-cancelled-australian-tour/

Poor guy.

DisposableJustice
02-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Newsted explains canceling dates in Australia and his status with Megadave....or doesn't

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/02/21/jason-newsted-explains-soundwave-cancellation/

but in any case this image sums it all up nicely

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/newsted-mustaine-australia.jpg

JRA
02-21-2014, 03:48 PM
The most interesting part of that article is the link to the article about Hetfield telling Metallica's management not to work with Echobrain.