PDA

View Full Version : New At the Gates album?

anomynous
01-21-2014, 08:15 AM
http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/01/21/gates-release-mysterious-new-teaser-video-mean-reunion-album-coming/

Yes please, Carcass proved it can be done.

Maideneer
01-21-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm ready. It's prob gonna be more along the lines of the sellout album rather than the early-to-mid stuff though.

mankvill
01-21-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm ready. It's prob gonna be more along the lines of the sellout album rather than the early-to-mid stuff though.

Good thing Slaughter Of The Soul is one of the best heavy metal albums period and by far ATG's best album.

Not joking, go be an old curmudgeon somewhere else.

VoidFlame
01-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Not sure I really want this, even if At the Gates is one of my favourite bands ever... I didn't enjoy the new Carcass as much as everyone and I'm scared they would screw up a so far perfect legacy.

Maideneer
01-21-2014, 09:28 AM
I like the album, maybe I failed to say that. Sorry. But let's at least be honest about what it is though.

Let's see what else they can put together, should be fun.

Butcher of Birth
01-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Has to be a release of something big, whether it's a new album or a tour that will hit markets they haven't had a chance to yet.

anomynous
01-21-2014, 09:42 AM
If Slaughter of the Soul is a sell out album, then I wish everything ever recorded could be a sell out album.

mankvill
01-21-2014, 09:43 AM
If Slaughter of the Soul is a sell out album, then I wish everything ever recorded could be a sell out album.

a-fucking-men

Maideneer
01-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Obviously an album that evokes very defensive feelings. Panties in the bunch.

"Sell-out" doesn't have anything to do with quality necessarily. It's a great record. The best way I can put it this review:

Despite the sleek package and amazing production, this is the At the Gates sellout album. It has not fallen to the depths of later Carcass or post-1992 Metallica, but it has dropped the progressive underpinnings in favor of speed metal adorned with a technical flair but mostly, through its rough permutations and basic sense of pentatonic harmonics, it remains dressed-up heavy metal as a sad coda to the career of the Gothenburg band. The same self-unravelling harmonizing riffs, liquid solos and strong sense of color of sound are here, but each is a condiment to a main course of standard rock fare, and has gone through a sanitizing process to be brought closer to mainstream music, demonstrating that the technique layer is far from what constitutes the artistic content of each song. In particular, it sounds like Metallica attempting ...And Justice For All in a stylistic mashup between Iron Maiden and Judas Priest during Painkiller, but this album is not even that competent, as the slaphappy graceless catchy choruses repeated ad nauseam demonstrate. For most At the Gates listeners, this album will seem a favorite until they hear it ten years from now in the context of other At the Gates works, when it will stand revealed as a transparent commercial album made to pander to the segment of the metal audience who want the predictable disguised as the unique for the sake of fashion.

mankvill
01-21-2014, 09:55 AM
It's their best album, I don't care how you want to preface it with "BUT IT'S PREDICTABLE" or "IT'S EASY TO GET INTO", that just makes it all the better.

energymetal14
01-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Not sure I really want this, even if At the Gates is one of my favourite bands ever... I didn't enjoy the new Carcass as much as everyone and I'm scared they would screw up a so far perfect legacy.

I feel the same way, Im kinda hoping they dont do another album. I love all their albums and it would be disappointing if they put put something that didnt live up to those albums. More touring would be cool but I agree, keep the legacy intact.

Maideneer
01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
It's their best album, I don't care how you want to preface it with "BUT IT'S PREDICTABLE" or "IT'S EASY TO GET INTO", that just makes it all the better.

I say it's not their best album. Now what?

mankvill
01-21-2014, 10:06 AM
I say it's not their best album. Now what?

THEN WE FIGHT!

energymetal14
01-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Slaughter of the Soul may be their most accessible record, but it is definitely my favorite to listen to. One of those timeless albums

TonyD
01-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Despite the sleek package and amazing production, this is the At the Gates sellout album. It has not fallen to the depths of later Carcass or post-1992 Metallica, but it has dropped the progressive underpinnings in favor of speed metal adorned with a technical flair but mostly, through its rough permutations and basic sense of pentatonic harmonics, it remains dressed-up heavy metal as a sad coda to the career of the Gothenburg band. The same self-unravelling harmonizing riffs, liquid solos and strong sense of color of sound are here, but each is a condiment to a main course of standard rock fare, and has gone through a sanitizing process to be brought closer to mainstream music, demonstrating that the technique layer is far from what constitutes the artistic content of each song. In particular, it sounds like Metallica attempting ...And Justice For All in a stylistic mashup between Iron Maiden and Judas Priest during Painkiller, but this album is not even that competent, as the slaphappy graceless catchy choruses repeated ad nauseam demonstrate. For most At the Gates listeners, this album will seem a favorite until they hear it ten years from now in the context of other At the Gates works, when it will stand revealed as a transparent commercial album made to pander to the segment of the metal audience who want the predictable disguised as the unique for the sake of fashion.
:rolleyes:

Dextrimental
01-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Guys. More shows and tours. Screw how good or bad the album is, more shows and tours.

Maideneer
01-21-2014, 11:09 AM

What an argument!!

MPF
01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Guys. More shows and tours. Screw how good or bad the album is, more shows and tours.

You have much to teach these boards.

anomynous
01-21-2014, 12:00 PM
The question is, will At the Gates tour with Queensryche?

justinm4bama
01-21-2014, 12:45 PM
The question is, will At the Gates tour with Queensryche?

The way things are looking they will tour with one of the Entombeds :lol:

dcmetal108
01-21-2014, 07:47 PM
The way things are looking they will tour with one of the Entombeds :lol:

Can we get At The Gate, both Entombeds and both versions of QR for one mega tour!!!!!

AnthG
01-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Slaughter of the Soul is the only At the Gates album I like, so more along those lines would be awesome.

smearCampaign
01-22-2014, 05:30 AM
Slaughter is a good record, but I'll take The Red... or With Fear... over it any day.

John The Drummer
01-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Slaughter of the Soul is the only At the Gates album I like, so more along those lines would be awesome.

YES! YES! YES! YES!
i agree, heard their material and do not like :)

XDoomsayerX
01-22-2014, 11:54 AM
I want another ATG and Darkest Hour tour. ATG plays all of Slaughter and DH all of The Eternal Return :drool:

TheWildAndTheYoung
01-22-2014, 12:17 PM
I actually really liked Slaughter Of The Soul, one of the first melodic death metal albums I ever listened to, so if this new one is gonna be like that, I'll dig it.I heard their other stuff and it's ok but Slaughter is by far the best.I still don't get how the heck you can say it's a sellout album, but most of the bands I love the most are considered sellouts so I probably can't really tell.There's nothing I hate more than when people call a band's album a "sellout album" just because it went a little mainstream (which Slaughter Of The Soul really wasn't) and made more money than any of their other stuff.

AnthG
01-22-2014, 08:17 PM
If people are calling it a sellout album because of its connection to the "Gothenburg sound" (which I feel people are), that's stupid since Slaughter of the Soul was the album that really kickstarted that whole scene.

mankvill
01-22-2014, 08:21 PM
If people are calling it a sellout album because of its connection to the "Gothenburg sound" (which I feel people are), that's stupid since Slaughter of the Soul was the album that really kickstarted that whole scene.

Not to mention it's probably THE most aped album in heavy metal history.

TonyD
01-22-2014, 11:03 PM
What an argument!!

anomynous
01-24-2014, 07:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXbwnMCT79w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hopefully this isn't another sellout album

anomynous
01-27-2014, 07:45 AM
Officially a new album on the way, due out in the fall on Century Media it looks like.

Butcher of Birth
01-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Titles "At War with Reality" it seems as well.

Dextrimental
01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
This is nothing but good news.

Maideneer
08-14-2014, 07:18 AM
October 27 (Int'l)/28 (USA) release date just confirmed.

SignoftheHammer
08-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Gonna pre order this ASAP:rockdevil

AnthG
09-22-2014, 06:10 PM
New song "At War with Reality"

watch?v=aoJYZITMZAI

I'm diggin' it.

adamclark52
09-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Nice guitars, vocals sound a little rough and high in the mix. But very good overall.

MPF
09-22-2014, 07:28 PM
I love it. Definitely looking forward to hearing this in context to the album.