Cthulhu
My Own Savior
The End?
A Question of Heaven
--------------
Dystopia
Watching Over Me
Iced Earth

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1528668_593697730703709_1902852000_n.jpg https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1524904_593693970704085_1297438155_n.jpg

MPF
01-14-2014, 05:33 PM
So....how was the show?

The setlist is quite different than I imagined, I wonder how different, if at all, it will change on the NA tour.

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 05:44 PM
So....how was the show?

Not bad, not great.

It was lacking in those big moments. You know after you have a couple of new or less well-liked songs you get a big song that everyone loves and gets into, whether played often or not? This set has barely any of those. It was cool to hear Dark Saga and Disciples of The Lie, but the first really unifying song was probably Blessed Are You, which is far too late in the set to be achieving that. This was a bit of a problem on the last tour too. Jon deserves credit for pulling out different songs, but he has no idea how to pace a setlist.

Plus, the new songs are hookless and boring. No one got into them at all, and I don't blame them. I know it's only a couple of weeks old, but the reception 'Dystopia' got versus any of the new ones spoke volumes.

Sanitarium78
01-14-2014, 06:36 PM
It's cool that they're playing some different tunes they haven't done in a while but the rarities they've busted out for this tour really aren't anything that special. I like the new album but overall they're really aren't playing any songs that I feel I have to hear except for A Question Of Heaven. Last tour they did Angels Holocaust, Slave To The Dark, Damien, Dante's Inferno and When The Night Falls. The selection of older material was much better than this current set.

Terrible pacing to start the show to. If I Could See You is not a good song and can easily put you to sleep, having it in the fourth spot is a bad idea. I could understand it being there if the first three songs were ones that blew the roof off the place but that isn't the case here.

300%_Density
01-14-2014, 06:45 PM
So out of all the songs from The Glorious Burden they haven't done in so many years and their go to was Red Baron/ Blue Max? That is unfortunate.

Cool they want to put in deeper tracks, I applaud them for trying but it looks like a crowd killer.

Sanitarium78
01-14-2014, 06:56 PM
So out of all the songs from The Glorious Burden they haven't done in so many years and their go to was Red Baron/ Blue Max? That is unfortunate.

Yeah, what about The Reckoning, Valley Forge or Attila? I don't see why one of those can't get played. At least they're giving Declaration Day a rest.

Steev
01-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Yeah, what about The Reckoning, Valley Forge or Attila? I don't see why one of those can't get played. At least they're giving Declaration Day a rest.

Waterloo, seriously I'd love to hear that live

Litany
01-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Jekyll & Hyde?! Horror Show is my favorite IE album! One of the songs off there I've always wanted to hear! No complaints from me :)

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 02:36 AM
Last tour they did Angels Holocaust, Slave To The Dark, Damien, Dante's Inferno and When The Night Falls. The selection of older material was much better than this current set.

Well, first leg of the last tour. The second leg all of those got dropped for extra Dystopia songs, plus Wolf, Melancholy (Holy Martyr), Setian Massacre, and putting Burning Times and Pure Evil back in. That first leg set was definitely their most awesome for years though.

Terrible pacing to start the show to. If I Could See You is not a good song and can easily put you to sleep, having it in the fourth spot is a bad idea. I could understand it being there if the first three songs were ones that blew the roof off the place but that isn't the case here.

You know what, I'd say If I Could See You was easily the most well-received of the new songs. Two reasons for that I'd guess are crowds respond when bands do personal songs, and this one is a bit like Watching Over Me in that it's a song for someone Jon lost (his grandfather), and also it's the only new song they played with an actual hooky chorus. It definitely got the biggest reception.

I think Parasite is the best song on the new album. Typical that it got left out for the "safe" ones that just sound like a bunch of other songs.

Waterloo, seriously I'd love to hear that live

Totally. I'd take anything from that album except probably Green Face and Red Baron/Blue Max. It's a shame they picked that one, but at least it was something different.

Jekyll & Hyde?! Horror Show is my favorite IE album! One of the songs off there I've always wanted to hear! No complaints from me :)

It seemed to pass everyone by. I think because it and Disciples of The Lie were between new songs, and they didn't introduce it like they normally do for rare songs, so it kind of seemed to get missed.

For me, I love Horror Show, but it works as a complete album. Somehow whenever they bring out individual songs live, with the exception of Wolf, they do nothing for me.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 03:54 AM
Oh yeah, and for anyone who's heard the new album, yes, they have turned "Fuck yo couch" into a t-shirt.

BlindGuardian93
01-15-2014, 05:56 AM
Looks like this has been their standard set for the last few Euro tour dates. Kind of hoping they change it up a bit for the U.S tour. Ive never seen them so the fact that songs like The Hunter, Burning Times and I Died For You are missing really sucks.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 06:01 AM
Looks like this has been their standard set for the last few Euro tour dates. Kind of hoping they change it up a bit for the U.S tour. Ive never seen them so the fact that songs like The Hunter, Burning Times and I Died For You are missing really sucks.

Yep. They don't change their setlist mid tour, so this will be the set for every European show.

The only difference is Pure Evil is supposed to be in there. It was on our setlist, but was cut.

Derelict
01-15-2014, 09:13 AM
This thread made me bust out Horrow Show....forgot how good this was.

Best time i saw these guys was back in 2001 (I think), and they did the trilogies from both Dark Sage and Something Wicked.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Horrow Show

I do this ALL THE TIME.

Derelict
01-15-2014, 09:43 AM
I do this ALL THE TIME.

Haha, i didn't even notice i did that.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm pretty sure my brain just says "that's quite enough r's for one word" and hits the most logical alternative ;)

Derelict
01-15-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure my brain just says "that's quite enough r's for one word" and hits the most logical alternative ;)

Sounds about right

MPF
01-15-2014, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing any of those songs, just in a different order, and maybe drop 1-2 new songs.

darkguardian50
01-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Its an interesting set list to be sure. Blessed Are You is great to see. But If I Could See You is a terrible song. Democide is the only song on the album that really made me say HELL YEA though Among the Living Dead and the title track are solid. There is also a very oddly flat vocal quality to the new album. Aside from the truly awful slow songs, Stu very rarely uses his upper register. Its very odd.

As for Red Baron, I dunno what you all are smoking that's a great song. One of my favorites. But I'd LOVE to see them do Attila, Stu has the perfect voice for it to.

While Disciples of the Lie and Dark Saga are oddities, both are solid but unremarkable songs.

I've heard that Stu sounds pretty rough on Blessed Are You and Question of Heaven. Not sure if that's the Barlow loyalists saying that or if the material is just a bit to rangy for him.

Nothing from Stormrider or Burnt Offerings, their two best albums. Wtf

Maiden33
01-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Not bad, not great.

It was lacking in those big moments. You know after you have a couple of new or less well-liked songs you get a big song that everyone loves and gets into, whether played often or not? This set has barely any of those. It was cool to hear Dark Saga and Disciples of The Lie, but the first really unifying song was probably Blessed Are You, which is far too late in the set to be achieving that. This was a bit of a problem on the last tour too. Jon deserves credit for pulling out different songs, but he has no idea how to pace a setlist.

Good to know I'm not the only person who thinks this. Granted, I haven't seen them doing this set myself, but I felt like this would be the exact problem. And yeah, setlist pacing/song order on the Dystopia tour was weird as well, despite almost every song in the set being great on that tour.

ravenheart
01-16-2014, 04:43 AM
Good to know I'm not the only person who thinks this. Granted, I haven't seen them doing this set myself, but I felt like this would be the exact problem. And yeah, setlist pacing/song order on the Dystopia tour was weird as well, despite almost every song in the set being great on that tour.

What do you make of the new album?

ravenheart
01-16-2014, 04:47 AM
If I Could See You is a terrible song

The more I listen to the new album, the more I think this is the second best track on it after Parasite, with just the cheesy lyrics letting it down a bit... but since it's a personal song about Jon's grandfather, that's more acceptable. Everything else is just a carbon copy of things they've done before, except Highwaymen, which is just fucking awful.

As for Red Baron, I dunno what you all are smoking that's a great song.

Too simplistic and boring. Like Green Face.

While Disciples of the Lie and Dark Saga are oddities, both are solid but unremarkable songs.

Both had little impact on the crowd, I must say. I loved hearing Dark Saga though.

I've heard that Stu sounds pretty rough on Blessed Are You and Question of Heaven. Not sure if that's the Barlow loyalists saying that or if the material is just a bit to rangy for him.

Sounded OK to me at this show, but I've not read anything from other shows, apart from the clusterfuck of the Birmingham gig which is already well documented and the band have apologised. They do appear to have a deaf sound-man though.

Steev
01-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Oh yeah, and for anyone who's heard the new album, yes, they have turned "Fuck yo couch" into a t-shirt.

.................want

El Gordo
01-17-2014, 08:51 AM
The more I listen to the new album, the more I think this is the second best track on it after Parasite, with just the cheesy lyrics letting it down a bit... but since it's a personal song about Jon's grandfather, that's more acceptable. Everything else is just a carbon copy of things they've done before, except Highwaymen, which is just fucking awful.

I quite enjoy If I Could See You as well. I can't quite place Parasite, so I'll have to listen to it again. And I actually don't mind Highwayman... it's obviously a different feel than the rest of the album the song itself is alright.

Both had little impact on the crowd, I must say. I loved hearing Dark Saga though.
I'd love to hear both of them. Disciples of the Lie is one of my all time favourite IE tunes.

ravenheart
01-17-2014, 09:19 AM
And I actually don't mind Highwayman... it's obviously a different feel than the rest of the album the song itself is alright.

I've been trying to decide if I'd like it more with just Stu singing it. I don't think I would.

By the way, anyone who has Assassin's Creed 3, play it while listening to The Glorious Burden. I tried this last night; so awesome.

Maiden33
01-17-2014, 08:21 PM
What do you make of the new album?

It's definitely no Dystopia, which I thought was an a shockingly good album - Between all the lineup changes (singers and otherwise) and mediocre output over the 4 or 5 years preceding Dystopia, mixed with my mass skepticism about Stu, I honestly had no interest in Iced Earth about a month before its release - but it made a believer out of me in a hurry. I think that as a complete work, it's easily one of their best and most enjoyable to date, so the new album had high expectations to live up to.

As with most records by bands like Iced Earth, I feel like people are dramatizing it way more than it needs to be - I've seen lots of people calling it crap, but I would certainly not go that far. The songs were mostly enjoyable for me to listen to (only have about 4 listens on it as of this writing), but they haven't stuck with me between listens or really made me want to go back. There doesn't seem to be even a standout track or two, which even on most of their weak albums, still happens. Just about the whole album is what I would consider slightly above average for them, but nothing really climbs above that standard, which makes for an alright but underwhelming listen.