PDA

View Full Version : Overkill Album & Tour Pushed Back

300%_Density
01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Link (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/overkill-new-album-pushed-back-to-july-tour-dates-postponed/)

New Jersey thrash metal veterans OVERKILL have pushed back the projected release date of their new album to July from the previously announced March. As a result, the band has postponed all shows originally scheduled for March (except for the U.K. dates) to the fall.

Said OVERKILL in a statement: "We are still working on the new record, but this is gonna be worth the wait, with more old-school, face-melting thrash!"

OVERKILL's new CD will be released in North America via eOne Music and in Europe through Nuclear Blast Records.

Speaking to Steppin' Out magazine, OVERKILL vocalist Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth stated about the band's upcoming album: "The new record has a blend of what we've done over the past half decade. I'm noticing it's a more punchy heavy metal record with more dimension than the last record had. Where is it going to end up on the food chain? I really don't know. But my feeling is it's an eclectic collection of moments from us. 'The Electric Age' came across, to me, as kind of a two-dimensional thrash record. This one is punchy but has a whole different bunch of ways to go and things to hear on it."

El Gordo
01-14-2014, 04:51 PM
That's too bad that it's being pushed back, but hopefully it is worth the wait!

300%_Density
01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
That's too bad that it's being pushed back, but hopefully it is worth the wait!

The fact that Blitz thought Electric Age was 2 dimensional is a good sign to me and he wants something better than that album which wasn't bad but was a small letdown after Ironbound.

MPF
01-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Bobby is probably sick again.

El Gordo
01-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Bobby is probably sick again.

Yeah, I'm worried about that too. These guys aren't getting any younger and Blitz has already had his fair share of health problems.

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
I don't care about the pushing back, especially as my show gets kept :D But I do care about the "old school face melting thrash" comment. In recent interviews Blitz basically admitted the last record was pretty monotonous and straight forward, and the new one would be heavier and more interesting. I hope they're not going back on that plan.

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
The fact that Blitz thought Electric Age was 2 dimensional is a good sign to me and he wants something better than that album which wasn't bad but was a small letdown after Ironbound.

Yes, basically this, although I didn't think Ironbound was all that special either.

El Gordo
01-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Yes, basically this, although I didn't think Ironbound was all that special either.

Ironbound was the best thing they've done since Horrorscope. You's crazy.

JRA
01-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Based on ravenhead's quotes if he gets the Overkill album he wants that is a bad BAD thing.

Nater
01-14-2014, 08:37 PM
It will be I Hear Black 2

mankvill
01-14-2014, 09:27 PM
The way Skeletonwitch tweeted about it, it looks like they won't be able to open for them for the rescheduled dates anymore.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 03:09 AM
The way Skeletonwitch tweeted about it, it looks like they won't be able to open for them for the rescheduled dates anymore.

I would say that's great, but they weren't on our bit of the tour anyone (we got Xentrix), so I don't really care.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 03:10 AM
Based on ravenhead's quotes if he gets the Overkill album he wants that is a bad BAD thing.

Nope. The best Overkill is varied Overkill. Always has been, always will be. It's what sets them apart from typical thrash.

I love all the hypocrites out there who say Overkill should make straight-forward thrash albums, yet cite Horrorscope as among their best records. One of their least straight-forward albums so far.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 03:20 AM

Erm... what?! The best since Killbox 13 maybe, although I know that wasn't a popular album. Bloodletting, Necroshine, From The Underground And Below... all better than Ironbound.

I know they'll return to better, groovier stuff at some point because that's Bobby's favourite stuff. They only did a couple of thrashier albums because of all the 1D thrash fans whining. I think they're over it now.

If they made another Ironbound, that would be OK. I just don't need another Electric Age. Heard it all before.

MetalIsArt
01-15-2014, 03:57 AM

Overkill have never made "bad" records, I wouldn't mind a return to "groove", even though that will piss off teh troo methulcrowdz.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 05:16 AM
Overkill have never made "bad" records..

Indeed. I don't even think I Hear Black is bad. The production is, same with Coverkill, but musically it's fine.

JRA
01-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Overkill's lineup (not the least of which being Blitz's voice) is what makes them standout from the rest.
I do agree that Horrorscope was varied, but you know one thing that wasn't on it? Groove. and thank God for that too.

Groove in metal needs to die a horrible horrible death. I don't know when it went from the simple backbeat to this idiotic over-infectious sterilization but my God it has to stop.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 05:50 AM
I do agree that Horrorscope was varied, but you know one thing that wasn't on it? Groove. and thank God for that too.

Groove in metal needs to die a horrible horrible death. I don't know when it went from the simple backbeat to this idiotic over-infectious sterilization but my God it has to stop.

Jesus Christ, metal fans need to learn what the word "groove" actually means in music. "Groove metal" the genre is nothing more than playing thrash a bit slower. That is absolutely not groove and whoever it was coined that term for that style is fucking idiot. Horrorscope the song is a track 100% built on a groove riff. Most of that album is, in fact, along with the likes of Long Time Dyin', Necroshine, Skullkrusher, Bleed Me, etc. And everything on Blitz's album with The Cursed. Now there's a REAL groove metal record.

Thank Christ Blitz is smarter than most Overkill fans and knows what words mean.

I think if Overkill had just made mind-numbing, straight-forward thrash for all the headbanging idiots their whole career, Blitz's voice alone, awesome and unique as it is, would not have been enough on its own to set them apart. It takes more than that, and they have more than that, thankfully. Their ability to do different things and still be good at them has long been their defining music worth. I'm very glad the band realise that, even if a section of their fans don't.

I hope the new album is 80 minutes long and groovier than a black man's afro at a Woodstock revival. Mostly to spite you on at least two counts, but also because it would be cool ;)

El Gordo
01-15-2014, 06:28 AM
Overkill have never made "bad" records, I wouldn't mind a return to "groove", even though that will piss off teh troo methulcrowdz.

I didn't say they've made "bad" records... but they have. From the Underground and Below was bad. ReliXIV and Immortalis were awful. It's got nothing to do with "groove" though. Necroshine is one of my absolute favourite Overkill records and it's probably got the least amount of real thrash on it. At any rate, Overkill have made some pretty varied albums over their long career, and I'm sure it's a major reason why they continue to have success. I don't care if the new record sounds like Ironbound or Necroshine or something completely different -- just as long as it is good like Ironbound or Necroshine, and not fucking shit like Immortalis.

MetalIsArt
01-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Overkill's lineup (not the least of which being Blitz's voice) is what makes them standout from the rest.

I ask you please just give us... 5 minutes alone. :bouville::bouville::bouville:

MetalIsArt
01-15-2014, 06:43 AM
I didn't say they've made "bad" records... but they have. From the Underground and Below was bad. ReliXIV and Immortalis were awful. It's got nothing to do with "groove" though. Necroshine is one of my absolute favourite Overkill records and it's probably got the least amount of real thrash on it. At any rate, Overkill have made some pretty varied albums over their long career, and I'm sure it's a major reason why they continue to have success. I don't care if the new record sounds like Ironbound or Necroshine or something completely different -- just as long as it is good like Ironbound or Necroshine, and not fucking shit like Immortalis.

ReliIXIV is one of their lesser, I'll give you that.

But some methulfanz need to open their minds.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 07:16 AM
I didn't say they've made "bad" records... but they have. From the Underground and Below was bad. ReliXIV and Immortalis were awful.

I have no problem with any of those albums. Especially From The Underground And Below. Not liking that but liking Necroshine makes absolutely no sense. Those two albums are basically the same. They're certainly the exact same style.

ReliXIV was probably their laziest in terms of songs. There are a couple of good tracks on Immortalis though. If I had to pick a "worst", it would probably be The Killing Kind.

Overkill albums are like Motorhead albums. There aren't really any bad ones, just better ones and worse ones.

At any rate, Overkill have made some pretty varied albums over their long career, and I'm sure it's a major reason why they continue to have success.

This though, all day long.

JRA
01-15-2014, 07:35 AM
"Groove metal" the genre is nothing more than playing thrash a bit slower.

Which is exactly the fucking problem.

By the way, what you call groove in Horrorscope I call doom.

At least you guys admit ReliXIV sucked.

MetalIsArt
01-15-2014, 07:46 AM

At least you guys admit ReliXIV sucked.

A doomy groove :D

MetalIsArt
01-15-2014, 07:47 AM
I have no problem with any of those albums. Especially From The Underground And Below. Not liking that but liking Necroshine makes absolutely no sense. Those two albums are basically the same. They're certainly the exact same style.

ReliXIV was probably their laziest in terms of songs. There are a couple of good tracks on Immortalis though. If I had to pick a "worst", it would probably be The Killing Kind.

Overkill albums are like Motorhead albums. There aren't really any bad ones, just better ones and worse ones.

This though, all day long.

And they slay live I've been told.

JRA
01-15-2014, 07:48 AM
A doomy groove :D

:hmm: (We really need a better "ponderous" smiley, this one looks like I'm giving him an angry death stare.)

Wrecking Crew
01-15-2014, 08:39 AM
I like basically everything they have done except Bloodletting, RelixIV, Immortalis, and the Electric Age. None of those three were necessarily bad but they didn't have anything new. That is part of what made Ironbound so great is it had more varied styles and was a return to form after the mediocre records of the '00s. When I listen to Overkill, I never listen to those 4 CDs as everything on them is done better elsewhere.

I even loved all their '90s material including I Hear Black, which was a grower as I hated it at first. I agree with all those who say Overkill's variance of sounds is what has kept them great and going for 30 years now. Electric Age played things too safe and hopefully they realize that and will come up with something awesome.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 09:50 AM

No, it isn't a problem, at least, it isn't the problem with the use of groove, because it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Groove is an adjective, not a noun.

Doesn't matter what style you want to call it, groove isn't a style.

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 09:53 AM
And they slay live I've been told.

Nah, they're crap.

I like basically everything they have done except Bloodletting, RelixIV, Immortalis, and the Electric Age. None of those three were necessarily bad but they didn't have anything new. That is part of what made Ironbound so great is it had more varied styles and was a return to form after the mediocre records of the '00s. When I listen to Overkill, I never listen to those 4 CDs as everything on them is done better elsewhere.

I don't think I ever listen to ReliXIV, Electric Age or Immortalis either, unless I've just got all of my Overkill on shuffle. Bloodletting is one of the go-tos though.

MetalIsArt
01-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Nah, they're crap.

I don't think I ever listen to ReliXIV, Electric Age or Immortalis either, unless I've just got all of my Overkill on shuffle. Bloodletting is one of the go-tos though.

Lulz @ da first comment.

El Gordo
01-15-2014, 12:50 PM

Just because they are the same style doesn't mean they are of the same quality. FTUAB never clicked with me. Necroshine has catchier, better songs.

JRA
01-15-2014, 12:56 PM
No, it isn't a problem, at least, it isn't the problem with the use of groove, because it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Groove is an adjective, not a noun.

Doesn't matter what style you want to call it, groove isn't a style.

Adjectives are frail and should not be doing more work than they should. Which is exactly how I would describe how groove should be used. Thank you for proving my point.

FUCT is the best song between Necroshine and FTUAB.

MetalIsArt
01-16-2014, 03:20 AM
Just because they are the same style doesn't mean they are of the same quality. FTUAB never clicked with me. Necroshine has catchier, better songs.

FTUBA is on my list of most underrated albums.

Lil bit o' murder in your house? :bouville:

ravenheart
01-16-2014, 04:01 AM
Thank you for proving my point.

What're you, 12? :lol:

If you can't get away from the distinction between "groove metal" the fake genre, and groove the actual musical term, then trying to discuss the term and its relevance in absolutely every form of music, not just Overkill's, is as pointless as thinking a statement which completely contradicts yours "proves" anything.

Wrecking Crew
01-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Can't we all just agree that Old Skool sucks and move on? :D

MetalIsArt
01-16-2014, 10:44 AM

Old Skool wut?

El Gordo
01-16-2014, 10:47 AM

I for one will wholeheartedly agree with you on that!!

JRA
01-16-2014, 05:34 PM
It especially sucks because RelixIV is their least old school sounding album ever.

and groove is still over-abused in metal.

MetalIsArt
01-17-2014, 10:08 AM
It especially sucks because RelixIV is their least old school sounding album ever.

and groove is still over-abused in metal.

I must admit that I haven't listened to it since god knows how long.

Maideneer
01-17-2014, 11:19 AM
I like all their records, some more some less. It's like going to your favorite restaurant, why is it your favorite? Do you always order the chicken? No, sometimes you get the steak.

Overkill has presented us with the menu, we order whatever we want from it. In the end, we're just glad that the restaurant has survived this long with it's original owner/operators. It's like everyone's local spot where you can waltz in with your buds for a bang-for-your-buck burger and a beer, have a laugh with the owner, shoot the shit with the staff, and never ever leave disappointed.