PDA

View Full Version : Official Metal Setlists Best Of 2013 Results


mankvill
01-07-2014, 09:25 PM
AND THE RESULTS ARE...


1. Deafheaven - Sunbather (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyVhIBmdGw)

http://i41.tinypic.com/200qtmc.jpg

15 Votes
124 Points

====

2. Nails - Abandon All Life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt7JSI9y46g)

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ptb6yx.jpg

12 Votes
98 Points

====

3a. Black Sabbath - 13 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhhOU5FUPBE)

http://i40.tinypic.com/4r6zyr.png

11 Votes
89 Points

3b. Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lapap5Zd6jE)

http://i44.tinypic.com/167pbme.jpg

9 Votes
89 Points

====

4. Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmSeWqmlqYs)

http://i40.tinypic.com/34fiadg.png

10 Votes
81 Points

====

5. Subrosa - More Constant Than The Gods (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wenNqTd5hU)

http://i44.tinypic.com/290syyv.jpg

8 Votes
77 Points

====

6. Clutch - Earth Rocker (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXzLZSNkDI)

http://i43.tinypic.com/iwujyd.jpg

8 Votes
70 Points

====

7. Killswitch Shit - Castle My Asshole (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48)

http://i42.tinypic.com/9irz36.jpg

8 idiots actually voted for this over other albums
67 points were wasted here

====

8. Carcass - Surgical Steel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KKYJD09qCk)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2eyvncx.jpg

11 Votes
66 Points

====

9. In Solitude - Sister (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4EiRvFHrCo)

http://i40.tinypic.com/op8l6x.jpg

7 Votes
65 Points

====

10a. Protest The Hero - Volition (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HjTs-y-ZQo)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2my66om.jpg

7 Votes
60 Points

10b. Revocation - Revocation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pcmzz8Bl2Y)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2wrnbip.jpg

6 Votes
60 Points

Go fucking crazy.

Onioner
01-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Killswitch Engage in the top ten?! Goodbye forever fuckers.

mankvill
01-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Killswitch Engage in the top ten?! Goodbye forever fuckers.

Other than that bullshit, I'm good with this list

illuminatus917
01-07-2014, 09:40 PM
I didn't know people still listened to Killswitch Engage. Shows how 'with the times' I am.

elturtleboy
01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Other than that bullshit, I'm good with this list

THE PICTURE U POSTED OMG UR DA BEST!


The first 3 tho :party::party::party:

ANYONE WHOS PISSED ABOUT DEAFHEAVEN CAN COME CRY TO ME.

Almost 3 years ago I saw em in a tiny place and fell inlove. Now everyone feels me emotion.
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa354/GIFgirl/107.gif

AnthG
01-07-2014, 09:47 PM
I won't lie, if we did a Top 15, KsE would have been in my list.

Also, I know you've always done it this way but the way you handle tie breakers is incorrect from a counting standpoint. If two or more items are tied in a top 10 or top anything, those items don't share that 1 spot, but take up that spot and spots following it. So Black Sabbath and Inquisition should be tied for 3rd and take up 3 and 4 respectively, With Alice in Chains technically being #5.

The list should look like this:

1. Deafhaven
2. Nails
3. Black Sabbath
3. Inquisition
5. Alice in Chains
6. SubRosa
7. Clutch
8. KsE
9. Carcass
10. In Solitude

Unfortunately that would mean Revocation and Protest Hero would not be in the Top 10, but for accuracy sake it should be like that. Unless somewhere a long time ago you stated you would do it the current way you're doing it even though it's not mathematically correct.

mankvill
01-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I decided to do it this way becaus everyone threw a bitchfit about it last year and fuck all yall

infinitydeth
01-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Besides Clutch and Alice in chains I'm ok with this list
Not as good as last years though

AnthG
01-07-2014, 09:56 PM
I decided to do it this way becaus everyone threw a bitchfit about it last year and fuck all yall

But you did it this way in 2011 as well.

adamclark52
01-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Aside from Nails not being number one I'm fine with this list. And Killswitch Engage being in the top ten got us a picture of Natalie Portman looking extremely fuckable so what's wrong with that?

mankvill
01-07-2014, 10:02 PM
But you did it this way in 2011 as well.

AND I'LL DO IT IN 2014 :mad:

AnthG
01-07-2014, 10:03 PM
OK FINE I'M JUST POINTING IT OUT. I'M NOT SAYIN', I'M JUST SAYIN'

mankvill
01-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Aside from Nails not being number one I'm fine with this list. And Killswitch Engage being in the top ten got us a picture of Natalie Portman looking extremely fuckable so what's wrong with that?

it was between that and this

http://soundsgeek.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/natalie-portman-clap.jpg%3Fw%3D430

slapguitarer
01-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Very glad to see SubRosa in top 5. Not going to shit on Alive In Chains but I could've sworn the consensus was that it was subpar, so seeing it at number 4 was a shock. And seriously, is it 2007? Why do people still give a shit about KsE?


I should prob listen to that Inquisition record :eyes:

Everything taken into consideration, this list is better than 2012's.

BloodoftheKings
01-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Surprised to see Alice in Chains on the list. Killswitch being there is a damn shame but I saw it coming.

dcmetal108
01-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Shocked to see AIC in there but not surprised to see KSE in there. One of the biggest metalcore bands return album with their original vocalist, and it was a huge hit. Not shocking at all.

kalfitegrdan
01-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Nails and Inquisition are on there, so I'm happy. :)

Man, I really wish I would've posted my prediction for top 10. I guessed 9 out of 10 with Gorguts instead of Subrosa. Subrosa is a pleasant surprise though.

adamclark52
01-07-2014, 11:16 PM
it was between that and this

http://soundsgeek.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/natalie-portman-clap.jpg%3Fw%3D430

I think the one you chose was better.

And let me chime in on the Alice in Chains album and say that aside from two or three songs I think it's terrible. But whatever. Ten people liked it enough to vote and that's fine.

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Killswitch Engage in the top 10.

This is what happens when I leave you guys alone, huh. :eyes:

mankvill
01-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Killswitch Engage in the top 10.

This is what happens when I leave you guys alone, huh. :eyes:

i fucking told these people they need to step back from the stupid lame shit and spend some time listening to some Autopsy or Benediction or something to wash away the melodic metalcore bullshit

Nick_to_the_face
01-07-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm really surprised about AiC, seriously. I never heard anything special about it. At least KSE was talked about a lot. And it was my number 10:D

ravenheart
01-08-2014, 02:56 AM
Manks fails at list numbering AGAIN.

Sabbath and AIC in the top 10 is good with me though.

Doom fans' collective failure to vote for Avatarium is disappointing.

300%_Density
01-08-2014, 06:20 AM
KSE = This is why we can't own nice things!!!!

I had 5 out of the 10. I'm happy.

Are you gonna give us 11-20 like you usually do as well?

mastodon421
01-08-2014, 06:27 AM
All the flipping about Killswitch is hilarious. For people who dig the kind of music, it was our Sunbather or Colored Sands. There was a ton of trOO, elitist-friendly albums that were ahead of it, so calm down people. With all the hype around it and the fact that I'm seeing Hipsterheaven open for BTBAM next month, I'll have to put on my Von Miller glasses and give Sunbather a spin some time.

Dextrimental
01-08-2014, 06:50 AM
If I had have voted, KsE was going to be number 1. My list also includes Gorguts, Deafheaven and SubRosa, so you can't use the whole 'ugh, listen to this more obscure stuff'. Fuck off, y'all just mad they made a really good record. It's interesting, actually interesting, and most of the people complaining haven't even listened to it anyway.

Then again, the guy running this list listens to pop-punk, so we all have our faults!

justinm4bama
01-08-2014, 06:54 AM
I'm really surprised Inquisition made it as high as it did, that's great though! Very good album.

slapguitarer
01-08-2014, 06:55 AM
I just noticed Colored Sands didn't make it. That's a surprise for sure. Manks, can we get 11-20?

DethMaiden
01-08-2014, 07:00 AM
Manks, continuing to bend space-time by putting 11 albums in a top 10.

Happy about Deafheaven and Carcass making it, pleasantly surprised by Inquisition's strong showing, AIC and Sabbath :zzz:, KSE is pretty cute among all the serious big-boy metal. Whatever.

jhdeity
01-08-2014, 07:00 AM
All the flipping about Killswitch is hilarious. For people who dig the kind of music, it was our Sunbather or Colored Sands. There was a ton of trOO, elitist-friendly albums that were ahead of it, so calm down people. With all the hype around it and the fact that I'm seeing Hipsterheaven open for BTBAM next month, I'll have to put on my Von Miller glasses and give Sunbather a spin some time.

Yeah it's cool to hate on Killswitch now. They're the new Pantera apparently. Duly noted. hahaha

Jesse Leach is a great vocalist. Some people like vomiting pig squeals, some like the high pitched power metal stuff, some like shoegaze with vocals that go aye-yi-ya-ya-ya the whole time and some like a dude who can sing his ass off like Jesse Leach.

I hated the last 2 KSE albums but hating on this cd because it's cool to hate on is retarded. Like the people who hate on Pantera...

That being said Clutch should be higher. #1 actually...

IrritatedTrout
01-08-2014, 07:03 AM
1. I'll have to check out that Deafhaven album.
2. I'm surprised QOTSA didn't make the cut.
3. Revocation and Inquisition have cool album covers.
4. Maybe I should check out the new Carcass.
5. Fuck Killswitch.

infinitydeth
01-08-2014, 07:15 AM
So hating on killswitch is the coolest thing now :tp:

Nater
01-08-2014, 07:35 AM
I didn't know there were so many babies here.

ravenheart
01-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Manks, continuing to bend space-time by putting 11 albums in a top 10.

Happy about Deafheaven and Carcass making it, pleasantly surprised by Inquisition's strong showing, AIC and Sabbath :zzz:, KSE is pretty cute among all the serious big-boy metal. Whatever.

Black Sabbath > The Men

DethMaiden
01-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Black Sabbath > The Men

:lol: Way to get me where I live. ;)

The Men would not disagree that the first six Sabbath albums are better than they are. 13, however, is not the first six Sabbath albums (or the three Dio ones, for that matter).

powerslave_85
01-08-2014, 08:04 AM
2. I'm surprised QOTSA didn't make the cut.That's because the people here were pretty much the only ones who didn't think it was brilliant.

MPF
01-08-2014, 08:52 AM
4 of my albums made it on here, I can't complain.

And the new KSE is a damn good album, there's no point in crying about it if you don't like it. They play Metal, this is a Metal site, and enough people thought it was Top 10 worthy. If you don't like it, there is 9 other great albums on this list.

*No, KSE didn't even crack my top 20, but I still know it's a great album.*

BloodoftheKings
01-08-2014, 09:15 AM
There was a ton of trOO, elitist-friendly albums that were ahead of it, so calm down people.

The only one I see is Inquisition.

XDoomsayerX
01-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Sabbath and Carcass and KSE were cool but not top 10 quality. I thought the new Revocation was boring but to each their own. AIC though da fuck :confused:

mankvill
01-08-2014, 10:25 AM
I didn't know there were so many babies here.

yeah, i didn't know there were a bunch of killswitch listening babbys here either

mankvill
01-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Are you gonna give us 11-20 like you usually do as well?

11. The Black Dahlia Murder
12. QOTSA
13. Skeletontits
14. Dream Theater
14. The Dillinger Escape Plan
14. Touche Amore
15. Gorguts
16. The Ocean
17. Avantasia
18. Sodom
19. Nine Inch Nails
20. Anciients

illuminatus917
01-08-2014, 10:34 AM
1 of my top 20 in this top 20.

:hecho:

slapguitarer
01-08-2014, 10:47 AM
I still think my favorite year was 2011, but this is good too.

mastodon421
01-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I still can't believe AiC made the top 10, I hadn't really heard anything super-positive about it on here and it beats out much more lauded-stuff like Subrosa and Carcass, that's shocking to me. I would've expected Queens to make it over them by a long shot.

As for the rest of the list, the records I've heard from it aside from AiC I really, really dug. Glad to see Protest and Revocation sneak into the top 10 as well as Clutch and Killswitch getting higher up. Top 20 is really solid as well glad to see Black Dahlia, Skeletonwitch and Dillinger get some props as well some lesser-praised shit like The Ocean and Anciients. Good list per usual.

adamclark52
01-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I think this was the best year so far, even though the list is broken and Nails accidentally ended up somewhere other than one.

mankvill
01-08-2014, 10:58 AM
I think this was the best year so far, even though the list is broken and Nails accidentally ended up somewhere other than one.

#shotsfired

slapguitarer
01-08-2014, 11:03 AM
I think this was the best year so far, even though the list is broken and Nails accidentally ended up somewhere other than one.

I honestly would've been totally fine with that. While I do think it's awesome Deafheaven got #1, not only because I love the record, but nobody would've thought before Sunbather came out that it'd be so critically acclaimed. So while I'm cool with Sunbather being #1, it would've also been cool for Nails to be #1, because while it did get a lot of love, it's a bit more of an underdog story, kinda like when Vektor beat Mastodon in 2011.

300%_Density
01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Out of the Top 14 I had 8. This is probably my favorite list thus far.

Only other question is what happened to Power Trip? I thought a lot of people on here liked that album. I was skeptical if it had a shot at top 10 but I almost knew it would get top 20. But if that's my biggest beef then yea this year ruled.

Dextrimental
01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
11. The Black Dahlia Murder
12. QOTSA
13. Skeletontits
14. Dream Theater
14. The Dillinger Escape Plan
14. Touche Amore
15. Gorguts
16. The Ocean
17. Avantasia
18. Sodom
19. Nine Inch Nails
20. Anciients

Overall, the top 20 is pretty killer, everything deserves it's place. In my opinion, anyway!

mankvill
01-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Out of the Top 14 I had 8. This is probably my favorite list thus far.

Only other question is what happened to Power Trip? I thought a lot of people on here liked that album. I was skeptical if it had a shot at top 10 but I almost knew it would get top 20. But if that's my biggest beef then yea this year ruled.

3 votes for 24 points

300%_Density
01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
3 votes for 24 points

Was that anywhere near making 20?

mankvill
01-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Was that anywhere near making 20?

Tied for 25th with 5 others

300%_Density
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Tied for 25th with 5 others

Wow. That wasn't even close.

Ommie
01-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Tied for 25th with 5 others
Not gonna lie, I thought Power Trip was gonna be much higher up. Oh well.

AnthG
01-08-2014, 03:27 PM
i fucking told these people they need to step back from the stupid lame shit and spend some time listening to some Autopsy or Benediction or something to wash away the melodic metalcore bullshit

How do you know they didn't listen to that stuff as well? Ripping on someone for their taste in music is one thing, because whatever, opinions, and sometimes insults against opposing opinions can be funny, but it always bugs me when I see people assume that people like certain things only because they haven't heard other stuff that they perceive to be better. Maybe it's just because they did listen to the more obscure stuff and didn't like it as much.

I still can't believe AiC made the top 10, I hadn't really heard anything super-positive about it on here and it beats out much more lauded-stuff like Subrosa and Carcass, that's shocking to me. I would've expected Queens to make it over them by a long shot.


I've noticed people who listen to more underground music tend to be more vocal and provocative about their love for that music than fans of more mainstream tastes. Which makes sense, since you want people to know more about a band who's a lot less known. With a band like Alice in Chains I guess even fans of that album felt no need to go out of their way to show their praise for the album.

GarageMetal468
01-08-2014, 03:29 PM
yall done fucking up not listening to that Abyssal album.

300%_Density
01-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Wouldn't be an end of year post w/o people getting pissed or threatening to quit the board.

Attack my musical tastes all you want. 2 of my fav bands peaked in early to mid 90s and play to tiny crowds now. What's the point of getting mad? What's that accomplish?

jhdeity
01-08-2014, 03:57 PM
So hating on killswitch is the coolest thing now :tp:

Apparently so. Saw this today and had to laugh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_IzYUJANfk

mankvill
01-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Wouldn't be an end of year post w/o people getting pissed or threatening to quit the board.

Attack my musical tastes all you want. 2 of my fav bands peaked in early to mid 90s and play to tiny crowds now. What's the point of getting mad? What's that accomplish?

Helmet was on warped like in 05

300%_Density
01-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Helmet was on warped like in 05

If you saw the signing line and the turnout for them on main stage vs everybody else it's not saying a lot. Their first album came out when half the kids there were probably born. They really didn't make a whole lot of sense on there.

mankvill
01-08-2014, 08:21 PM
If you saw the signing line and the turnout for them on main stage vs everybody else it's not saying a lot. Their first album came out when half the kids there were probably born. They really didn't make a whole lot of sense on there.

well yeah. The crowd for Dillinger was about 60 people when I saw them, then The Devil Wears Prada had a HUGE crowd. Ugh.

illuminatus917
01-08-2014, 08:39 PM
I still think my favorite year was 2011, but this is good too.

Wasn't that the year all hell broke loose and there was that exodus because everyone got so pissy over the list and there was all that talk about 'rats bailing from sinking ships'?

ravenheart
01-09-2014, 02:30 AM
I'm OK with the top half, but that second half (with manks dumbass numbering) is pretty terrible.

adamclark52
01-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Wasn't that the year all hell broke loose and there was that exodus because everyone got so pissy over the list and there was all that talk about 'rats bailing from sinking ships'?

I remember that. One guy was real mad at the list.

300%_Density
01-09-2014, 09:15 AM
I remember that. One guy was real mad at the list.

I considered quitting my job and beating all my kids. That's how upset I was.

mastodon421
01-09-2014, 09:19 AM
I considered quitting my job and beating all my kids. That's how upset I was.

I was an inch away from gouging both my eyes out with a tetanus-filled needle.

GarageMetal468
01-09-2014, 09:23 AM
My phone bill was through the roof as a result of calling the suicide hotline for 3 months straight.

adamclark52
01-09-2014, 09:23 AM
When I was doing my top ten disappointments of 2013 thread the 2011 list almost made it in. It ended up at fourteen.

AnthG
01-10-2014, 11:40 AM
The 2011 list had Chaos of Forms. Fuck all of you.

Alduin
01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
2011 list introduced me, and probably a lot of others, to Vektor :rocker:
nuff said

Nater
01-10-2014, 12:39 PM
11 was a good list

IrritatedTrout
01-10-2014, 12:46 PM
2012 was the worst list.

jhdeity
01-10-2014, 01:03 PM
2010 was the worst list.

Fixed

mankvill
01-10-2014, 01:39 PM
2014 will be the worst list.

300%_Density
01-10-2014, 01:48 PM
2014 will be the worst list.

I hate 2016 already.

GarageMetal468
01-10-2014, 02:46 PM
The 2011 list had Chaos of Forms. Fuck all of you.

It also had Machine Head. No good.

adamclark52
01-10-2014, 03:38 PM
All joking aside, the 2011 list is the one that appeals to me the least.

I'd rank them:
1. 2013
2. 2010
3. 2012
4. 2011

But I'd put 2013 light years ahead of everything else.

AnthG
01-10-2014, 04:02 PM
It also had Machine Head. No good.

That Machine Head album is awesome.

slapguitarer
01-10-2014, 04:30 PM
That Machine Head album is awesome.

heh
heheh
heheheh
heheheheh
heheheh
heheh
heh

AnthG
01-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Pfft whatever.

jhdeity
01-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Machine Head > 20 million times over Deafheaven and it's aye ya ya ya yi yi yi yi yi yi yi vocals. Seriously. Great music and retarded vocals is so overdone...

slapguitarer
01-10-2014, 08:31 PM
heh
heheh
heheheh
heheheheh
heheheh
heheh
heh

.

mastodon421
01-11-2014, 03:47 AM
Yeah let's argue over past lists because some band that is semi-popular made the list over some cool-kid black or sludge metal band:tp:

AnthG
01-11-2014, 06:29 AM
Well, it is the internet.

John The Drummer
01-11-2014, 08:40 AM
I disapprove of this list... but whatev's, I have my own personal list and thats all I care about :)

John The Drummer
01-11-2014, 08:40 AM
8 and 9 were good though :cool:

mankvill
01-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Yeah let's argue over past lists because some band that is semi-popular made the list over some cool-kid black or sludge metal band:tp:

>can't defend killswitch faggots
>resorts intsead to bashing other bands

gr8b8m8 i r8 it an 8

mastodon421
01-11-2014, 09:59 AM
>can't defend killswitch faggots
>resorts intsead to bashing other bands

gr8b8m8 i r8 it an 8

Yeah that was exactly my point genius. I was referring to mocking of AnthG when he said that Machine Head album was awesome. I'm not even bashing other bands, it just makes me laugh that every single year in the site's best of thread that every time a more well-known act that wasn't a forefather of the genre (i.e. Machine Head, Killswitch Engage) makes the top 10 that it resorts to a bunch of petty name calling and whining that some lesser-known band didn't make it. I just listened to Sunbather yesterday and I thought it was pretty fucking awful, but you don't see me sitting here flipping the fuck out because it was the number 1 album. People dug it, I didn't, it's whatever music is subjective. Our community here is small and not everyone likes the exact same thing: Lesser-known shit is going to make the list, more well-known shit is going to make the list and we really need stop with the stupid fucking name calling, memes and whatever else every time there is a disagreement over the best albums of a given year.

DementedX14
01-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Deafheaven sucks and so does this list! There I said it.:cool:

slapguitarer
01-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Yeah that was exactly my point genius. I was referring to mocking of AnthG when he said that Machine Head album was awesome. I'm not even bashing other bands, it just makes me laugh that every single year in the site's best of thread that every time a more well-known act that wasn't a forefather of the genre (i.e. Machine Head, Killswitch Engage) makes the top 10 that it resorts to a bunch of petty name calling and whining that some lesser-known band didn't make it. I just listened to Sunbather yesterday and I thought it was pretty fucking awful, but you don't see me sitting here flipping the fuck out because it was the number 1 album. People dug it, I didn't, it's whatever music is subjective. Our community here is small and not everyone likes the exact same thing: Lesser-known shit is going to make the list, more well-known shit is going to make the list and we really need stop with the stupid fucking name calling, memes and whatever else every time there is a disagreement over the best albums of a given year.


>sunbather is shit
>likes the contortionist

Confirmed for shit taste.

Deafheaven sucks and so does this list! There I said it.:cool:

>likes trivium

confirmed for shit taste

MPF
01-11-2014, 11:09 AM
This is still happening?

illuminatus917
01-11-2014, 11:13 AM
>likes trivium


Shogun was an enjoyable album I thought.

mastodon421
01-11-2014, 11:17 AM
>sunbather is shit
>likes the contortionist

Confirmed for shit taste.

>2012 You say Parallax II is too long, boring and full of awkward transition changes Most disappointing album of the year
>Fast forward to 2013 and the same review can be perfectly applied to Sunbather

Confirmed for psychic genius

illuminatus917
01-11-2014, 11:21 AM
>2012 You say Parallax II is too long, boring and full of awkward transition changes Most disappointing album of the year

The "transitions" in Sunbather were the best parts of the album.

slapguitarer
01-11-2014, 11:34 AM
>2012 You say Parallax II is too long, boring and full of awkward transition changes Most disappointing album of the year
>Fast forward to 2013 and the same review can be perfectly applied to Sunbather

Confirmed for psychic genius

thx :cool:

mankvill
01-11-2014, 12:15 PM
The "transitions" in Sunbather were the best parts of the album.

This.

Son jus tryin too hard now

El Gordo
01-11-2014, 06:55 PM
I didn't listen to enough new stuff in 2013 to make a list, but man that Sunbather album sucked dick.

Is Maiden supposed to release an album in 2014? That would be cool because at least everyone would expect the #1 album to be garbage instead of being blindsided by it like this year.

IrritatedTrout
01-11-2014, 07:06 PM
:tp:

slapguitarer
01-11-2014, 07:11 PM
:tp:

Not enough of this to go around.

mankvill
01-11-2014, 07:41 PM
> People who dislike killswitch
> can argue their point completely

> People who "hate" Sunbather
> "lol it's poplar and sux dix lel hipsters xD"

mastodon421
01-11-2014, 07:56 PM
> People who dislike killswitch
> can argue their point completely

> People who "hate" Sunbather
> "lol it's poplar and sux dix lel hipsters xD"

I gave Sunbather an honest chance. I found the black metal sections to be very repetitive, horribly-produced and the shrieking vocals were grating. The transitions from black metal to post-rock were very awkward and inorganic. I appreciate genre changes, but the ones here were just far too drastic and poorly-executed for me to enjoy. Once the transitions were made the actual post-rock elements were pretty nice and at times, absolutely stunning, but it still wasn't enjoy to salvage the album from how poor the heavy sections and transitions between their different genres were.Lastly, I found the interlude tracks to serve to no purpose and just tacked-on to add length to an already bloated, overlong album. They're a talented group for sure, I just found the album to be a boring mess.

El Gordo
01-11-2014, 08:05 PM
:tp:

I guess this is the face you're supposed to make as you rock out to those riffless passages between metal albums.

slapguitarer
01-11-2014, 08:08 PM
>black metal sections with varying drum rhythms and chord subtitles are repetitive
>enjoys breakdowns

heh

I can see the point about the interlude tracks. While I think Irresistible is an awesome epilogue to Dream House, I definitely understand why somebody could see the transitions as useless. Please Remember has a nice acoustic section, but Windows is kinda bland, I'll admit.

jhdeity
01-11-2014, 08:17 PM
I guess this is the face you're supposed to make as you rock out to those riffless passages between metal albums.

The eyeroill emoticon is for elitist hipsters and sheeple only. The cool people on here have never used it once. Just sayin'

El Gordo
01-11-2014, 09:04 PM
The eyeroill emoticon is for elitist hipsters and sheeple only. The cool people on here have never used it once. Just sayin'

I just keep listening to Earth Rocker... big, dumb riffs got me into metal/hard rock and they'll keep me there.

SomewhereInTime72
01-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Why do things feel so acidic here :eyes: all the 'hipster' accusations are off the charts lately. I don't understand, is this how metal people are now? :eyes:

El Gordo
01-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Why do things feel so acidic here :eyes: all the 'hipster' accusations are off the charts lately. I don't understand, is this how metal people are now? :eyes:

I think there are two camps... The first camp is the old, regular metal camp. Those fuckers like riffs and solos and solos and riffs. These are the people that got into metal when bands like Judas Priest decided they wanted to melt faces. The second camp didn't present itself until the 90's... Bands like Opeth decided that folk rock needed to have death growls and distorted guitar riffs to make it cool.

SomewhereInTime72
01-11-2014, 10:00 PM
I don't think those are "camps" at all. Metal is metal, when you get down to it, and fuck, music is music. :eyes: Getting bitter over whether someone prefers bizarre prog metal or straightforward traditional metal or whatever it may be is about as assholeish as caring about whether someone likes girls or boys - except way more anal and specific. :hmm:

slapguitarer
01-11-2014, 10:02 PM
I think there are two camps... The first camp is the old, regular metal camp. Those fuckers like riffs and solos and solos and riffs. These are the people that got into metal when bands like Judas Priest decided they wanted to melt faces. The second camp didn't present itself until the 90's... Bands like Opeth decided that folk rock needed to have death growls and distorted guitar riffs to make it cool.

Yes, because I can't enjoy both Iron Maiden and Agalloch.

:banghead:

mankvill
01-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Yes, because I can't enjoy both Iron Maiden and Agalloch.

:banghead:

welcome to metalsetlists post-Mayhem Fest Board User Invasion

slapguitarer
01-11-2014, 10:21 PM
welcome to metalsetlists post-Mayhem Fest Board User Invasion

It's funny because I'm one of "those".

And with the way some older users reacted to new users liking more than traditional/power metal, I'm not too sure that says much good about this place before Mayhem Fest Board Invasion.

mankvill
01-11-2014, 10:22 PM
It's funny because I'm one of "those".

And with the way some older users reacted to new users liking more than traditional/power metal, I'm not too sure that says much good about this place before Mayhem Fest Board Invasion.

GIT OUTTA HERE D:<

AnthG
01-11-2014, 11:08 PM
> People who dislike killswitch
> can argue their point completely


Yes because simply calling them "Killswitch EnFaggots" and "Killswitch Shit" is arguing your point completely.

mankvill
01-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Yes because simply calling them "Killswitch EnFaggots" and "Killswitch Shit" is arguing your point completely.

exactly :cool: i win you lose

MetalIsArt
01-12-2014, 02:12 AM
exactly :cool: i win you lose

U trippin' or sumthin'?

IrritatedTrout
01-12-2014, 04:01 AM
I guess this is the face you're supposed to make as you rock out to those riffless passages between metal albums.

I tried Sunbather and didn't like it at all just so you know.

ravenheart
01-12-2014, 05:27 AM
I guess I'd better listen to the new Killswitch. Had for months, still in the ever-expanding "to listen to" pile.

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 07:49 AM
I listened to 95% of the albums people chose on here. I gave them all an equal chance but obviously we like what we like. I don't think there are camps per se I think a lot of it boils down to vocals. At least it does for me. On the other side of that I have friends who are guitarists who ONLY care about solos and could care less about vocals. To each his own.

As far as Hipster shit goes, I don't hate on people and I actually liked Sunbather for the music. If you were to define hipster lyrics though the title track would probably be example A:

Held my breath and Annotatedrove through a maze of wealthy homes. I watched how green the trees were. I watched the steep walkways and the white fences. I gripped the wheel. I sweated against the leather. I watched the dogs twist through the wealthy garden. I watched you lay on a towel in grass that exceeded the height of your legs. I gazed into reflective eyes. I cried against an ocean of light

Crippled by the cushion, I sank into sheets frozen by rose pedal toes. My back shivered for your pressed granite nails. Dishonest and ugly through the space in my teeth. Break bones down to yellow and crush gums into blood. The hardest part for the weak was stroking your fingers with rings full of teeth..

It's 5 A.M...and my heart flourishes at each passing moment

Always and forever

Now picture those words sang as aye yi yi yi yi yi yi yi yi and if you think that's better than Jesse Leach's vocals and lyrics on the new KSE then you might be a broootal elitist or a hipster. hahaha

Like I said we had the same #1 as Rolling Stone. That would be the only time it's not totally doucheville to use an eyeroll emoticon...

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Here is a visual to look at while reading those lyrics:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/jhdeity/hipsters.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/jhdeity/media/hipsters.jpg.html)

larvtard
01-12-2014, 09:06 AM
You need to stop being so judgmental. Have you ever talked to one of these "hipsters"?

It sucks that we just evaluate people based on stereotypes now; we don't give anyone the time of day after sizing them up for two seconds. People are more than a fucking label.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Have you ever talked to one of these "hipsters"?

eeewwww, of course not.

slapguitarer
01-12-2014, 09:56 AM
I listened to 95% of the albums people chose on here. I gave them all an equal chance but obviously we like what we like. I don't think there are camps per se I think a lot of it boils down to vocals. At least it does for me. On the other side of that I have friends who are guitarists who ONLY care about solos and could care less about vocals. To each his own.

As far as Hipster shit goes, I don't hate on people and I actually liked Sunbather for the music. If you were to define hipster lyrics though the title track would probably be example A:

Held my breath and Annotatedrove through a maze of wealthy homes. I watched how green the trees were. I watched the steep walkways and the white fences. I gripped the wheel. I sweated against the leather. I watched the dogs twist through the wealthy garden. I watched you lay on a towel in grass that exceeded the height of your legs. I gazed into reflective eyes. I cried against an ocean of light

Crippled by the cushion, I sank into sheets frozen by rose pedal toes. My back shivered for your pressed granite nails. Dishonest and ugly through the space in my teeth. Break bones down to yellow and crush gums into blood. The hardest part for the weak was stroking your fingers with rings full of teeth..

It's 5 A.M...and my heart flourishes at each passing moment

Always and forever

Now picture those words sang as aye yi yi yi yi yi yi yi yi and if you think that's better than Jesse Leach's vocals and lyrics on the new KSE then you might be a broootal elitist or a hipster. hahaha

Like I said we had the same #1 as Rolling Stone. That would be the only time it's not totally doucheville to use an eyeroll emoticon...

So, now heartfelt and personal lyrics are "hipster" lyrics? Last I checked, you dug Protest the Hero, and Rody writes a lot about personal shit that means a lot to him, and it's in a similar stream of conscious type style. Does that make PTH hipster now? That's a pretty elitist view point. Which leads me to my next point…

Trying to compare George Clarke's vocals to Leach's vocals is completely apples and oranges. Both fits what the music they're making really well. Trying to say one is objectively better than the other is very "broootal elitist".

And Rolling Stone giving Sunbather the #1 for metal albums is almost irrelevant because a) they didn't even include it in their Top 40 or 50 albums of the year, whatever it is they do, and b) it's fucking Rolling Stone, why should you care what they think? Really, I think you're just upset that the majority of the forum really enjoyed an album that got wide spread success and accolades from more mainstream publications. You're upset because a lot of people liked a popular record. That sounds pretty "hipster" to me. So why don't you get some thick rimmed glasses, shave the sides of your head, buy an ugly sweater, and shut the fuck up, hipster.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 09:59 AM
So, now heartfelt and personal lyrics are "hipster" lyrics? Last I checked, you dug Protest the Hero, and Rody writes a lot about personal shit that means a lot to him, and it's in a similar stream of conscious type style. Does that make PTH hipster now? That's a pretty elitist view point. Which leads me to my next point…

Trying to compare George Clarke's vocals to Leach's vocals is completely apples and oranges. Both fits what the music they're making really well. Trying to say one is objectively better than the other is very "broootal elitist".

And Rolling Stone giving Sunbather the #1 for metal albums is almost irrelevant because a) they didn't even include it in their Top 40 or 50 albums of the year, whatever it is they do, and b) it's fucking Rolling Stone, why should you care what they think? Really, I think you're just upset that the majority of the forum really enjoyed an album that got wide spread success and accolades from more mainstream publications. You're upset because a lot of people liked a popular record. That sounds pretty "hipster" to me. So why don't you get some thick rimmed glasses, shave the sides of your head, buy an ugly sweater, and shut the fuck up, hipster.

:light:

AnthG
01-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Really, I think you're just upset that the majority of the forum really enjoyed an album that got wide spread success and accolades from more mainstream publications. You're upset because a lot of people liked a popular record. That sounds pretty "hipster" to me. So why don't you get some thick rimmed glasses, shave the sides of your head, buy an ugly sweater, and shut the fuck up, hipster.

Uh, didn't this whole thing start because people were pissed off about the Killswitch Engage album being in the top 10? Pretty much EVERYTHING you described above is what happened with people when it was announced that Disarm The Dissent was in the top 10. People seemed to be very upset that a lot of the forum voted for that instead of other more underground stuff. I think the backlash against Sunbather afterwards was just a result of the backlash against KsE.

That doesn't make the negative opinions on Sunbather any better or worse or more excusable, but it has seemed to show that people who are a fan of the more obscure stuff and less mainstream sounding stuff than Killswitch Engage are just as shitty at taking criticism of a band they like than the the other camp. If people are going to be able to dish it out, be able to take it back.

slapguitarer
01-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Uh, didn't this whole thing start because people were pissed off about the Killswitch Engage album being in the top 10? Pretty much EVERYTHING you described above is what happened with people when it was announced that Disarm The Dissent was in the top 10. People seemed to be very upset that a lot of the forum voted for that instead of other more underground stuff. I think the backlash against Sunbather afterwards was just a result of the backlash against KsE.

That doesn't make the negative opinions on Sunbather any better or worse or more excusable, but it has seemed to show that people who are a fan of the more obscure stuff and less mainstream sounding stuff than Killswitch Engage are just as shitty at taking criticism of a band they like than the the other camp. If people are going to be able to dish it out, be able to take it back.

I'll admit, there is fault on both ends. But I think there's a slight difference between the two cases. People being upset about KSE being in the Top 10 is like when people were upset about Anthrax being in the Top 10 in 2011. They're not a bad band, but it's safe to assume the people who placed an album like that or the latest Trivium record in their top 10 didn't put too much effort in hearing new artists. Not that that in itself is absolutely inexcusable, but considering we're people who make an effort to talk about metal with one another on the internet, it's not unreasonable to think that those kind of people would also make an effort to discover great new metal all the time. Sure, that doesn't mean people can't still enjoy "classic" artists, but it just seems like a waste of time if you aren't trying to hear new artists. I'm not saying everybody who throughly enjoyed the new KSE doesn't do that, but it's not unheard of for some of the older posters on this forum to get mad when people like new stuff.

Which brings me to Sunbather. I think the difference between talking smack on Sunbather and talking smack on the new KSE is Sunbather's popularity came out of left field. Sure, by the end of the year, Sunbather was an obvious choice for most people, but I'm sure that in January 2013, nobody thought Deafheaven would dominate year end metal lists, but it'd come as no surprise if KSE dominated a lot of metal lists. I'm not saying that necessarily excuses people talking shit on KSE, but it is different that people talking shit on Deafheaven.

larvtard
01-12-2014, 10:25 AM
:party:

everything I wanted to say but didn't know how to.

XDoomsayerX
01-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Ya but to fair the bashing jhdeity has been giving Deafheaven is another level than "KSE top 10 gaaaay!". That dude just gives Deafheacen shit constantly even saying a pic of them playing live music was hilarious when in reality it looked like a standard pic of a passionate band playing music (slaps end of the year thread). Like nig we get it you hate Sunbather.

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Uh, didn't this whole thing start because people were pissed off about the Killswitch Engage album being in the top 10? Pretty much EVERYTHING you described above is what happened with people when it was announced that Disarm The Dissent was in the top 10. People seemed to be very upset that a lot of the forum voted for that instead of other more underground stuff. I think the backlash against Sunbather afterwards was just a result of the backlash against KsE.

That doesn't make the negative opinions on Sunbather any better or worse or more excusable, but it has seemed to show that people who are a fan of the more obscure stuff and less mainstream sounding stuff than Killswitch Engage are just as shitty at taking criticism of a band they like than the the other camp. If people are going to be able to dish it out, be able to take it back.

Exactly. I wasn't judging or hating on other people's music like some other people were. I also didn't claim Hipsters don't exist then post a picture of 2 Hipsters in a Deafheaven picture. That will go down as one of the most hilarious things to ever happen on this site. Right up there with Tom G. Warrior's mistress... Well played, Slappy! hahaha

Slappy must not have seen any of my discussion about PTH with Dethmaiden and how I wasn't a fan of the last cd because of the lyrics. All that believe her, breathe her, leave her, expose, rose, disclose, compose crap was too over the top and cheeseball for me. The reason I liked the new album was it didn't have those stupid lyrics.

I don't consider cheeseball lyrics hipster. Those Sunbather lyrics I posted are 100% hipster and you know it. Unless you think weearing a sweater cap in September in California in the front row of a concert isn't hipster. BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Ya but to fair the bashing jhdeity has been giving Deafheaven is another level than "KSE top 10 gaaaay!". That dude just gives Deafheacen shit constantly even saying a pic of them playing live music was hilarious when in reality it looked like a standard pic of a passionate band playing music (slaps end of the year thread). Like nig we get it you hate Sunbather.

I didn't bash Subather until the Killswitch bashing went down. I liked Sunbather but the vocals are a joke and the lyrics are hipster. That being said the music is awesome to me.

You must have missed the part when Slappy claimed Hipsters don't exist. I started to think it was just an east coast thing because New York is f'n hipster haven. Then he posted that pic. C'mon man, that is BEYOND hilarious!

mankvill
01-12-2014, 10:37 AM
but KSE top 10 IS gay

Dextrimental
01-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I'll admit, there is fault on both ends. But I think there's a slight difference between the two cases. People being upset about KSE being in the Top 10 is like when people were upset about Anthrax being in the Top 10 in 2011. They're not a bad band, but it's safe to assume the people who placed an album like that or the latest Trivium record in their top 10 didn't put too much effort in hearing new artists. Not that that in itself is absolutely inexcusable, but considering we're people who make an effort to talk about metal with one another on the internet, it's not unreasonable to think that those kind of people would also make an effort to discover great new metal all the time. Sure, that doesn't mean people can't still enjoy "classic" artists, but it just seems like a waste of time if you aren't trying to hear new artists. I'm not saying everybody who throughly enjoyed the new KSE doesn't do that, but it's not unheard of for some of the older posters on this forum to get mad when people like new stuff.

Which brings me to Sunbather. I think the difference between talking smack on Sunbather and talking smack on the new KSE is Sunbather's popularity came out of left field. Sure, by the end of the year, Sunbather was an obvious choice for most people, but I'm sure that in January 2013, nobody thought Deafheaven would dominate year end metal lists, but it'd come as no surprise if KSE dominated a lot of metal lists. I'm not saying that necessarily excuses people talking shit on KSE, but it is different that people talking shit on Deafheaven.

No, it's not. It's not safe to assume ANYTHING about someone's listening habits based on them liking any one record by any one band. People can enjoy both KsE and Trivium and then still listen to and enjoy underground or more obscure albums and artists. Disarm the Descent was my number 1 album this year, and I listened to Nails, and Mouth of the Architect, and Deafheaven, and Gorguts and any number of other obscure and underground artists and records.

Liking more mainstream artists and liking more underground releases shouldn't be mutually exclusive to each other, and acting holier than thou because you like one more than the other is totally childish, and frankly idiotic. The KsE bashing is stupid and childish, and the Sunbather bashing is stupid and childish.

This whole discussion is fucking moronic.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 10:42 AM
but Killswitch Engage and Trivium are objectively bad

I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

KSE topping someone's list but they said they listened to a whole bunch of new music is like them saying "Yeah I tried some new restaurants, but McDonald's was the best food I had all year."

mastodon421
01-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Uh, didn't this whole thing start because people were pissed off about the Killswitch Engage album being in the top 10? Pretty much EVERYTHING you described above is what happened with people when it was announced that Disarm The Dissent was in the top 10. People seemed to be very upset that a lot of the forum voted for that instead of other more underground stuff. I think the backlash against Sunbather afterwards was just a result of the backlash against KsE.

That doesn't make the negative opinions on Sunbather any better or worse or more excusable, but it has seemed to show that people who are a fan of the more obscure stuff and less mainstream sounding stuff than Killswitch Engage are just as shitty at taking criticism of a band they like than the the other camp. If people are going to be able to dish it out, be able to take it back.

The most intelligent point made in this thread by far

XDoomsayerX
01-12-2014, 10:46 AM
I didn't bash Subather until the Killswitch bashing went down. I liked Sunbather but the vocals are a joke and the lyrics are hipster. That being said the music is awesome to me.

You must have missed the part when Slappy claimed Hipsters don't exist. I started to think it was just an east coast thing because New York is f'n hipster haven. Then he posted that pic. C'mon man, that is BEYOND hilarious!

You're nitpicking bro. That pic had some dude in a beanie and a dude with glasses. Oh fuck I wear Ray Ban glasses I'm a hipster. Just letting all ya dudes know.

DementedX14
01-12-2014, 10:47 AM
but deafheaven top 10 IS gay

Fixed

Just looked at Slappy's pic of the deafheaven show and I think this is appropriate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAEiI_x71Ko).

mankvill
01-12-2014, 10:50 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/9qv13n.jpg

would rather look like a hipster than this faggot in the middle

Datjazzfusion
01-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Why the fuck are we discussing looks now? Are we fan girls now? Fuck... listen to the music, if you think it is great more power to you. If you think it sucks more power to you.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Why the fuck are we discussing looks now? Are we fan girls now? Fuck... listen to the music, if you think it is great more power to you. If you think it sucks more power to you.

Image is everything. Deafheaven looks like hipsters, they suck. Killswitch Engage look like faggots, they suck. Oli Sykes looks like a suave gentleman and BMTH is the best band ever.

AnthG
01-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Hey manky, keep using homophobic slurs to describe something you dislike. I totally miss being 15 years old, so it's good reminder to when things were less stressful.

mastodon421
01-12-2014, 10:58 AM
but Killswitch Engage and Trivium are objectively bad

I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

KSE topping someone's list but they said they listened to a whole bunch of new music is like them saying "Yeah I tried some new restaurants, but McDonald's was the best food I had all year."

Give me a fucking break. I listened to 100 albums this year from all over metal (and other genres) and Disarm the Descent was #2 on my list. I thought it was an incredibly well-done album with amazing hooks, catchy riffs and the most impressive vocal performance of 2013 from Jesse Leach. It was a great comeback record for Leach that reminded of the glory days of a band that I've been a big fan for almost 10 years and the quality held up on repeat listens. For me that's the mark of an excellent record there and that's why it was so high on my personal list. You can hate on Killswitch all fucking day, that's your opinion and that's fine, but to say they are objectively bad and that people that like them are just wrong and not adventurous with their musical choices is insanely ignorant.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Hey manky, keep using homophobic slurs to describe something you dislike. I totally miss being 15 years old, so it's good reminder to when things were less stressful.

>2014
>not using sentence enhancers because they're too "naughty"

cmon

Give me a fucking break. I listened to 100 albums this year from all over metal (and other genres) and Disarm the Descent was #2 on my list. I thought it was an incredibly well-done album with amazing hooks, catchy riffs and the most impressive vocal performance of 2013 from Jesse Leach. It was a great comeback record for Leach that reminded of the glory days of a band that I've been a big fan for almost 10 years and the quality held up on repeat listens. For me that's the mark of an excellent record there and that's why it was so high on my personal list. You can hate on Killswitch all fucking day, that's your opinion and that's fine, but to say they are objectively bad and that people that like them are just wrong and not adventurous with their musical choices is insanely ignorant.

but kse bad

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Fixed

Just looked at Slappy's pic of the deafheaven show and I think this is appropriate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAEiI_x71Ko).

The 2nd most intelligent post in this thread...

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:05 AM
The 2nd most intelligent post in this thread...

BUAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

infinitydeth
01-12-2014, 11:06 AM
but kse bad

KSE>Bring me the horizon :barf:

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:07 AM
KSE>Bring me the horizon :barf:

!!!!!!!

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A BREAKDOWN-OFF!

infinitydeth
01-12-2014, 11:10 AM
!!!!!!!

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A BREAKDOWN-OFF!

Emmure are the referees

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Emmure are the referees

ringside girls are chelsea grin and attack attack

also:

this entire thread for me:

http://i43.tinypic.com/11smh75.gif

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Bring Me The Hairspray > Five Finger Donkey Punch as far as cool play on names and their last cd's. Sempiternal was 10 times better than I thought it would be.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Bring Me The Hairspray > Five Finger Donkey Punch as far as cool play on names and their last cd's. Sempiternal was 10 times better than I thought it would be.

:hug:

slapguitarer
01-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Exactly. I wasn't judging or hating on other people's music like some other people were. I also didn't claim Hipsters don't exist then post a picture of 2 Hipsters in a Deafheaven picture. That will go down as one of the most hilarious things to ever happen on this site. Right up there with Tom G. Warrior's mistress... Well played, Slappy! hahaha

Slappy must not have seen any of my discussion about PTH with Dethmaiden and how I wasn't a fan of the last cd because of the lyrics. All that believe her, breathe her, leave her, expose, rose, disclose, compose crap was too over the top and cheeseball for me. The reason I liked the new album was it didn't have those stupid lyrics.

I don't consider cheeseball lyrics hipster. Those Sunbather lyrics I posted are 100% hipster and you know it. Unless you think weearing a sweater cap in September in California in the front row of a concert isn't hipster. BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dude, nobody ever said "there's no such thing as hipsters". But calling somebody a hipster because they listen to a certain style of music is absurd. And you're right, I must've missed that conversation between you and Dethmaiden. Even so, personal lyrics aren't "hipster". Last I checked plenty of bands like KSE have lyrics about their feelings and such. What hipsters. And please explain what the fuck you mean by the bolded part :confused:. I have long, curly hair. Now you're just fucking stretching. From all of this that's going on, you're just a crusty old man who's mad at what all the whippersnappers are doing on your lawn. Check yourself into an old folks home.

No, it's not. It's not safe to assume ANYTHING about someone's listening habits based on them liking any one record by any one band. People can enjoy both KsE and Trivium and then still listen to and enjoy underground or more obscure albums and artists. Disarm the Descent was my number 1 album this year, and I listened to Nails, and Mouth of the Architect, and Deafheaven, and Gorguts and any number of other obscure and underground artists and records.

Liking more mainstream artists and liking more underground releases shouldn't be mutually exclusive to each other, and acting holier than thou because you like one more than the other is totally childish, and frankly idiotic. The KsE bashing is stupid and childish, and the Sunbather bashing is stupid and childish.

This whole discussion is fucking moronic.

Of course that statement is extremely blanket and doesn't speak for everybody. You and quite a few other posters are an exception, but it can be applied to a lot of people, like maybe people who go to 3 concerts a year, 2 of which are sponsored by Rockstar. But when all is said and done, you're right, this is all moronic.

EDIT: I looked back at the photo, there's a guy in a beanie. Big fucking whoop. It was a little chili that night, by California standards, and we were in California. Cool dude

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:16 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/14sgmqa.jpg

larvtard
01-12-2014, 11:17 AM
but Killswitch Engage and Trivium are objectively bad

I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.


what? no. I don't like kse or trivium in the slightest, but there's nothing objectively bad about them... because music is subjective. Bashing other people's music taste can be fun, yeah, but all you guys are taking it too far.

SomewhereInTime72
01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
i didnt even listen to the 'hipster' albums being discussed (tho maybe i should just to be in the loop :lol: ). but i did listen to the killswitch album and it was one of the worst things i've heard in the past 5 years. :2cents:

I don't really care that they're popular/mainstream. I just think the album was really crappy. :eyes: Now whether you did or didn't like x album is really no reason to factionize yourself or whatever. I'm personally disappointed that an album I thought was junk showed up in the top 10, and other people agree with me, or have the same feelings but about a different album. What I don't understand is getting defensive and aligning yourself into camps and getting into a spite-fight on the interweb. Maybe manks is just way more effective at trolling than I thought. ;)

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
what? no. I don't like kse or trivium in the slightest, but there's nothing objectively bad about them... because music is subjective. Bashing other people's music taste can be fun, yeah, but all you guys are taking it too far.

no fucking shit

slapguitarer
01-12-2014, 11:20 AM
i didnt even listen to the 'hipster' albums being discussed (tho maybe i should just to be in the loop :lol: ). but i did listen to the killswitch album and it was one of the worst things i've heard in the past 5 years. :2cents:

I don't really care that they're popular/mainstream. I just think the album was really crappy. :eyes: Now whether you did or didn't like x album is really no reason to factionize yourself or whatever. I'm personally disappointed that an album I thought was junk showed up in the top 10, and other people agree with me, or have the same feelings but about a different album. What I don't understand is getting defensive and aligning yourself into camps and getting into a spite-fight on the interweb. Maybe manks is just way more effective at trolling than I thought. ;)

Seriously, kudos.

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Dude, nobody ever said "there's no such thing as hipsters". But calling somebody a hipster because they listen to a certain style of music is absurd. And you're right, I must've missed that conversation between you and Dethmaiden. Even so, personal lyrics aren't "hipster". Last I checked plenty of bands like KSE have lyrics about their feelings and such. What hipsters. And please explain what the fuck you mean by the bolded part :confused:. I have long, curly hair. Now you're just fucking stretching. From all of this that's going on, you're just a crusty old man who's mad at what all the whippersnappers are doing on your lawn. Check yourself into an old folks home.



Of course that statement is extremely blanket and doesn't speak for everybody. You and quite a few other posters are an exception, but it can be applied to a lot of people, like maybe people who go to 3 concerts a year, 2 of which are sponsored by Rockstar. But when all is said and done, you're right, this is all moronic.

Ok Hipster. I never bashed hipsters I just know they exist and you provided proof. I play poker with a few Hipsters. They wear winter hats when it's 80 degrees out and 90 degrees in the front row of a concert too. hahahaha

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Maybe manks is just way more effective at trolling than I thought. ;)

you know how everyone likes to antagonize fonzy over queensryche stuff?

it's like that, just on a larger scale.

SomewhereInTime72
01-12-2014, 11:21 AM
hahahahhahahahha

slapguitarer
01-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Ok Hipster. I never bashed hipsters I just know they exist and you provided proof. I play poker with a few Hipsters. They were winter hats when it's 80 degrees out and 90 degrees in the front row of a concert too. hahahaha

Yes, a fat kid who wear black band t-shirts, baggy jeans, and has a fucking jewfro is such a hipster because he enjoys atmospheric black metal and shoegaze.

:tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp:


OH NO I USED THE ROLL EYES EMOTICON, I PROVED HIS POINT.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:24 AM
A group of hipsters made the most critically acclaimed and genre-progressing metal album in years, so I guess the hipsters have the last laugh here.

AnthG
01-12-2014, 11:27 AM
I could have watched at least 3 episodes of Archer instead of this...

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Clutch made the most critically acclaimed incredible metal album in years, so I guess the normal people have the last laugh here since no one will be listening to Sunbather in 6 months.

Fixed

slapguitarer
01-12-2014, 11:28 AM
lol

larvtard
01-12-2014, 11:28 AM
no fucking shit

...stop being ambiguous. You've never given any indication that you weren't being serious.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:29 AM
>a Clutch album
>universally critically acclaimed and taking steps to move metal as a genre forward

lel. I like Clutch, but c'mon bro.

You also told me years and years ago that I wouldn't be listening to Anaal Nathrakh "6 months from now" so now you are sounding like even more of a cranky old man.

Would you like some Werther's originals to hand out?

no one tell him that the hype for Deafheaven is at a record high and they have huge tours planned already for 2014

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:30 AM
...stop being ambiguous. You've never given any indication that you weren't being serious.

http://i44.tinypic.com/33e4sj8.jpg

300%_Density
01-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Did this really jump up 3 pages in a half hour? Isn't football on? Or something else to do?

slapguitarer
01-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Did this really jump up 3 pages in a half hour? Isn't football on? Or something else to do?

It's sunday, who has important things to do?

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Did this really jump up 3 pages in a half hour? Isn't football on? Or something else to do?

Throwing out bait and having a million fish bite at it is addicting.

Ommie
01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
This is what happens when people take mankvill seriously.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:38 AM
This is what happens when people take mankvill seriously.

FINALLY

THREAD OVER

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Yeah last time we got into personal attacks I made some virgins on here cry so you probably don't wanna go there. Maiden33 deleted me from the facebook page because that made it too damn easy. hahaha

I'm still curious about all the people who loved Strange Cousins but somehow didn't get into Earth Rocker. That is baffling to me.

ravenheart
01-12-2014, 11:46 AM
So what's going on now?

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:46 AM
I guess pointing out someone being stubborn and refusing to move on from safe music is now a personal attack.

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I guess pointing out someone being stubborn and refusing to move on from safe music is now a personal attack.

Negative. Just stating facts. As usual

mankvill
01-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Negative. Just stating facts. As usual

The only fact stated here was that Killswitch Engage is a worse band than Deafheaven.

Now THAT'S a FACT!!! BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

slapguitarer
01-12-2014, 12:01 PM
:lol:

300%_Density
01-12-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm still curious about all the people who loved Strange Cousins but somehow didn't get into Earth Rocker. That is baffling to me.

Who are these people? Do they exisit?

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 12:15 PM
It is funny that I posted my 11-15 in the voting thread but everyone thinks I hate Deafheaven because I point out flaws with it. People want to hate on other peoples picks then can't take it when it's what they like.

11. Revocation - Revocation
12. Nails - Abandon All Life
13. Death Mechanism - Twenty-First Century
14. Deafheaven - Sunbather
15. Bring Me The Hairspray - Sempiternal

So am I the only person on this list who really got into Death Mechanism? I'm pretty sure one of my hipster buddies turned me onto them. See hipsters are pretty cool when they're not creaming themselves all over shoegaze and sinking into sheets frozen by rose pedal toes idiocy. BUAHAHAHAHAHA!

C'mon you can't not laugh at some of those Deafheaven lyrics. There's nothing personal, heartfelt or metal about that kind of LSD poetry. It's just comical. FACT

300%_Density
01-12-2014, 12:15 PM
FINALLY

THREAD OVER

You forgot

*drops the mic*

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Who are these people? Do they exisit?

They must. Didn't Strange Cousins finish Top 5 in 2009?

mankvill
01-12-2014, 12:18 PM
They must. Didn't Strange Cousins finish Top 5 in 2009?

Wasn't in the top 20 for 2009

300%_Density
01-12-2014, 12:24 PM
They must. Didn't Strange Cousins finish Top 5 in 2009?

Negative

#38

es156
01-12-2014, 12:24 PM
So what's going on now?

Just a bunch of folks arguing about two equally crappy albums and Manks trolling both sides successfully.

You know, just the usual end of year thread stuff.

;)

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Negative

#38

Interesting. By far my least favorite Clutch cd. I remember debating it on here like it was yesterday. Must have worked...

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Just a bunch of folks arguing about two equally crappy albums and Manks trolling both sides successfully.

You know, just the usual end of year thread stuff.

;)

True. Not sure you saw in the other thread but we made a game up on Mastodon in the Pick Em pool. Should come down to the Super Bowl

mankvill
01-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Just a bunch of folks arguing about two equally crappy albums and Manks trolling both sides successfully.

You know, just the usual end of year thread stuff.

;)

:drinking:

smearCampaign
01-12-2014, 12:30 PM
This argument needs moar funny animated gifs.

Whichever side you on, imagine the other gayfag guzzlin' cum liek this:
http://i.imgur.com/zlBT1Ah.gif

Repost dis if u cry everytim

300%_Density
01-12-2014, 12:31 PM
So what's going on now?

I just saved a bunch of $ on my car insurance.

es156
01-12-2014, 12:46 PM
:drinking:

You would think they would know by now.

:lol:

TehBr00tulz
01-12-2014, 01:21 PM
What the fuck just happened?

es156
01-12-2014, 01:50 PM
True. Not sure you saw in the other thread but we made a game up on Mastodon in the Pick Em pool. Should come down to the Super Bowl

Which thread is this?

TheNobleFaceHumper
01-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Didn't realize people actually gave half a shit about BMTH. :stop:

mastodon421
01-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Which thread is this?

My year-end recap thread.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Didn't realize people actually gave half a shit about BMTH. :stop:

>not liking the most-improved band of all time

ravenheart
01-12-2014, 02:44 PM
I just saved a bunch of $ on my car insurance.

Careful, might have been manks trolling.

es156
01-12-2014, 02:48 PM
My year-end recap thread.

Oh yeah, hadn't checked the picks earlier. I thought I was out of it after last week. Now things are getting interesting. Let's go Broncos!

jhdeity
01-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Oh yeah, hadn't checked the picks earlier. I thought I was out of it after last week. Now things are getting interesting. Let's go Broncos!

Yeah looking like 1 game will separate all 3 of us. Very cool.

adamclark52
01-12-2014, 03:15 PM
All this arguing about Deafheaven and Killswitch Engage, you're all forgetting one point. Nails 'Abandon All Life' takes Deafheavens head and sticks it right up Killswitch Engages ass, then takes Killswitch Engages head and sticks it right up Deafheavens ass, then leaves them in the middle of the park for everyone to laugh at. It doesn't even need to argue who's better because it knows that it is.

IrritatedTrout
01-12-2014, 04:18 PM
bwahahahahahaha

:tp:



QOTSA was easily the best of the year anyway. ;)

kalfitegrdan
01-12-2014, 04:45 PM
All this arguing about Deafheaven and Killswitch Engage, you're all forgetting one point. Nails 'Abandon All Life' takes Deafheavens head and sticks it right up Killswitch Engages ass, then takes Killswitch Engages head and sticks it right up Deafheavens ass, then leaves them in the middle of the park for everyone to laugh at. It doesn't even need to argue who's better because it knows that it is.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/003/e/1/he_s_right_you_know_by_nightdemon12-d70r777.jpg

Ommie
01-12-2014, 04:53 PM
All this arguing about Deafheaven and Killswitch Engage, you're all forgetting one point. Nails 'Abandon All Life' takes Deafheavens head and sticks it right up Killswitch Engages ass, then takes Killswitch Engages head and sticks it right up Deafheavens ass, then leaves them in the middle of the park for everyone to laugh at. It doesn't even need to argue who's better because it knows that it is.
tru

TheNobleFaceHumper
01-12-2014, 07:40 PM
>not liking the most-improved band of all time

They went from halfway decent deathcore to god awful, shitty whateverthefuckcore you wanna call them, and now they've improved to slightly less shitty-core.

Congrats to them.

mankvill
01-12-2014, 07:43 PM
They went from halfway decent deathcore to god awful, shitty whateverthefuckcore you wanna call them, and now they've improved to slightly less shitty-core.

Congrats to them.

they went from the worst deathcore band around (which is an achievement because deathcore is shit on its own) to a pretty awesome post-hardcore band

So yes, congrats to them! They have dropped everything that made them unbearable and are embracing good music now.

kalfitegrdan
01-12-2014, 09:31 PM
they went from the worst deathcore band around (which is an achievement because deathcore is shit on its own) to a pretty awesome post-hardcore band

So yes, congrats to them! They have dropped everything that made them unbearable and are embracing good music now.

Meh. I liked 'em better when they were a shitty deathcore band.*



*Although I haven't listened to Sandpitturtle or whatever yet.

TheNobleFaceHumper
01-13-2014, 02:04 AM
Suicide Season and There Is A Hell were awful albums. Their newest record is *slightly* better, but it's still incredibly meh.

MetalIsArt
01-13-2014, 03:41 AM
All this arguing about Deafheaven and Killswitch Engage, you're all forgetting one point. Nails 'Abandon All Life' takes Deafheavens head and sticks it right up Killswitch Engages ass, then takes Killswitch Engages head and sticks it right up Deafheavens ass, then leaves them in the middle of the park for everyone to laugh at. It doesn't even need to argue who's better because it knows that it is.

Dat Nails album seems interesting. But it's grindcore and I only like very few bands in that genre :(

kalfitegrdan
01-13-2014, 03:56 AM
Dat Nails album seems interesting. But it's grindcore and I only like very few bands in that genre :(

Here. Take roughly four minutes out of your life to listen to these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZo96Mnjzig) two (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4nV8WV-EDY) songs that sum up both the extremes of the album.

ravenheart
01-13-2014, 05:29 AM
Here. Take roughly four minutes out of your life to listen to these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZo96Mnjzig) two (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4nV8WV-EDY) songs that sum up both the extremes of the album.

Deal.

I like the riffs of the second one, but otherwise, me no likey.

MetalIsArt
01-13-2014, 05:52 AM
Here. Take roughly four minutes out of your life to listen to these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZo96Mnjzig) two (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4nV8WV-EDY) songs that sum up both the extremes of the album.

Will do when I'm home. Comparisons with other bands?

adamclark52
01-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Will do when I'home. Comparisons with other bands?

The best comparison for Nails is:
Nails > almost anythibg

I'd say they have parts of Pig Destroyer (wicked riffs and fast songs) mixed with the heaviness of the Melvins and Entombed distortion. But it's better than Pig Destroyer, probably better than Entombed too, and may even be better than the Melvins.

If you're into fast, aggressive, heavy, punishing music it is really the perfect album. And their debut album 'Unsilent Death' may actually be better.

MetalIsArt
01-13-2014, 09:38 AM
The best comparison for Nails is:
Nails > almost anythibg

I'd say they have parts of Pig Destroyer (wicked riffs and fast songs) mixed with the heaviness of the Melvins and Entombed distortion. But it's better than Pig Destroyer, probably better than Entombed too, and may even be better than the Melvins.

If you're into fast, aggressive, heavy, punishing music it is really the perfect album. And their debut album 'Unsilent Death' may actually be better.

Ok, thanks again mate. But with grindcore, it's the vocals that usually kill it for me and I prefer some tempo variation so to speak.

kalfitegrdan
01-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Deal.

I like the riffs of the second one, but otherwise, me no likey.

At least you tried. :)


Ok, thanks again mate. But with grindcore, it's the vocals that usually kill it for me and I prefer some tempo variation so to speak.

Well, Nails definitely has tempo variation.

adamclark52
01-13-2014, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't even call them grindcore, just very aggressive punk.

smearCampaign
01-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I've never considered Nails to be a grind band.

ravenheart
01-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Well, Nails definitely has tempo variation.

Fast and really fast? ;)

Nater
01-13-2014, 07:51 PM
All you hipsters should go listen to Gutfucked

adamclark52
01-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Anyone think all the hate Deafheaven is getting is because the cover is pink? They should have just been more second wave kvlt and had a picture of a tree, or a lake, or a castle. Oh, or a castle by a lake surrounded by trees! That's tr00. They could've still made the castle pink. Deafheaven, when you read this (because I know you will) there's your problem solved right there. Castle.

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 04:16 AM
Anyone think all the hate Deafheaven is getting is because the cover is pink? They should have just been more second wave kvlt and had a picture of a tree, or a lake, or a castle. Oh, or a castle by a lake surrounded by trees! That's tr00. They could've still made the castle pink. Deafheaven, when you read this (because I know you will) there's your problem solved right there. Castle.

I have no doubt at all that part of it is a straight-forward immediate "anti-reaction" to its popularity.

It's cool to hate what's cool, remember ;)

Maiden33
01-14-2014, 06:57 AM
<irrelevant comment>

Natrlhi
01-14-2014, 08:12 AM
All joking aside, the 2011 list is the one that appeals to me the least.

I'd rank them:
1. 2013
2. 2010
3. 2012
4. 2011

But I'd put 2013 light years ahead of everything else.So we're making ranked lists of other lists now? Sweet Satan, I thought my OCD was bad. :lol:

1 of my top 20 in this top 20.

:hecho:Two of my top ten were in the forum-wide top ten, and five of my top twenty were in the forum-wide top twenty. Considering I liked some somewhat obscure stuff this year, I'd say that's not bad. I'm just glad SubRosa got more love than I had even expected. That was a nice surprise.

Speaking of surprises, I'm not surprised Sunbather took top honors at all, and I wouldn't argue that it shouldn't have, even though there were a few aspects I personally didn't like. For one thing (and all of deafheaven's music is like this), I don't think they blend the ultra-fast black metal stuff with the shoegazing stuff as well as people give them credit for. Sure, there are some nice transitions, but I find the peaks and valleys to be a bit extreme (and this is coming from a post-metal fan). I guess I just don't appreciate the two types of music being blended on one album as much as others do, which is why I'm not a big fan of Agalloch or Alcest or bands of that ilk either. That, and I think George's vocals don't fit with deafheaven's music that well. I've met him, and he's intelligent, talented, well-spoken and one hell of a nice guy, but I just don't think his vocal style fits the lighter side of deafheaven's music. The brutal black side, sure - but not the lighter stuff.

I'm also not surprised that albums like KsE made it on here, considering this is an interweb forum with a wide range of listeners from mainstream to obscure. That's why i'm also not surprised at all the drama that ensues every year when year-end list time comes around. What does surprise me is how seriously everyone takes it - and that's even considering that it's an interweb forum. Manks' trolling couldn't be more obvious (or maybe it's just that I recognize it more easily because I'm prone to do it myself now and again :eyes:), but yet he still manages to catch his prey so easily - and some of y'all fish done been on that there hook dozens of times before. When ya gonnna learn, y'all?

Anyway, I'm glad Manks still puts up with the crap and has the fortitude to compile this list every year - even if he does number the shit incorrectly. :finger:

adamclark52
01-14-2014, 08:30 AM
I like ranks, they're fun.

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Allagoch

:lol:

MetalIsArt
01-14-2014, 09:17 AM
So I gave it a try (I even checked out a performance on This Is Hardcore Fest 2012), but I abanoned all listening.

adamclark52
01-14-2014, 09:33 AM
So I gave it a try (I even checked out a performance on This Is Hardcore Fest 2012), but I abanoned all listening.

Nice play.

It's pretty harsh shit.

MetalIsArt
01-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Nice play.

It's pretty harsh shit.

Nice play 2.

;)

John The Drummer
01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Let's all just say that "Issues" got the number 1 on the list so we can all be happy. k?

Natrlhi
01-14-2014, 04:14 PM
:lol:
Oops. :dorky:

Dyslexic fingers?

MetalIsArt
01-15-2014, 05:51 AM
Let's all just say that "Issues" got the number 1 on the list so we can all be happy. k?

:allan: We cool.

christopher
01-21-2014, 12:41 AM
Wow. I'm so happy Nails got #2. I remember when I first posted about them and no one even knew who they were. It is so incredible to me that I spread their name and now they are #2 for the year. :party:

MetalIsArt
01-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Wow. I'm so happy Nails got #2. I remember when I first posted about them and no one even knew who they were. It is so incredible to me that I spread their name and now they are #2 for the year. :party:

I give you this one moment of glory. :bouville: