PDA

View Full Version : Hellawaits77's Three-Quarter Asses End o' da Year List: V. 2013

hellawaits77ny
12-30-2013, 11:00 AM
MODS: Can you change the "asses" to "assed" in the title? Yep, nice job on that one by yours truly.

Here's my annual end o' da year list. I put slightly more effort into this year's edition, so it's more of a three-quarter assed effort than a half-assed effort. And for those that know my musical tastes, I'm predominantly a death metal guy. Mostly old school death and brutal death. Obviously, those are the subgenres I listen to most often. I do listen to other stuff, just not as much. Many of you will think this list is "one dimensional", and I'll admit my list isn't nearly as diverse as some. But as I've always said, I rank albums not on how "epic", "amazing", or "groundbreaking" they are, I simply judge them by how good they sound to my ears.

In this thread I will post:
Top 5 Live Performances (only went to 5 shows this year, so can't have a "worst of" list)
5 Biggest Disappointments
5 Most Pleasant Suprises
Top 25 Albums w/ short writeups
Top 25 Songs
Maybe a few other things

Here goes...............

hellawaits77ny
12-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Top 5 Live Performances

Honorable Mention

Biohazard
June 17, 2013
@ Bogie's
Albany, NY

Biohazard is always an outstanding show. One of my favorite live bands of all times. Tons of energy, great stage presence, and just lot's of fun. Only thing that keeps this off the top 5 is the lame ass crowd. When Biohazard played in Albany last year, the place was packed and shit went down. Still an awesome show and a lot of fun.

HJhzmT7Lyhk

hellawaits77ny
12-30-2013, 11:14 AM

Gojira
November 30, 2013
@ Tsongas Center
Lowell, MA

Gojira is a band that while I certainly don't dislike them, I never really listen to them. I've seen them as openers 3x now ('07, '09, and now this year, so it's cool to see how they've grown), and they've been outstanding every time. The atmosphere was outstanding, and they were SO fucking heavy live, it was great. Good crowd interaction, and the crowd really dug them. I'll do a more complete writeup of the show (as they were opening for Slayer) later in my list.

hellawaits77ny
12-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Dying Fetus
August 27, 2013
@ Foufounes Electriques
Montreal, QC

Have seen DF 7x now, and I've yet to be disappointed. I live this venue in Montreal, great high stage and an outstanding PA. I got a filming pass from a buddy, so I was able to go to the VIP area. Unfortunately I found out just before they started that when I opened my camera's flip screen, the thing would shut off. SMDH. Had to film to whole show by looking through the lens. Not so fun. Was a solid setlist, (when does DF NOT have a solid set) saw a couple songs I'd never seen live before, and the crowd was intense. Lot's of movement. Some good looking ho's, too. Don't see that a whole lot it death metal.

LPQOfq7yXHc
GTvT492II_Y

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 05:01 AM

Dying Fetus
February 18, 2013
@ Nectar's
Burlington, VT

My buddy lives in Burlington and had been on my ass to go to Metal Monday's @ Nectar's, a bar he works at. It's actually a pretty nice bar with a small stage. Couldn't believe they got Dying Fetus to play. Figured a death metal show in a state full of hippies and pretentious douche bags (not everyone, so any Vermonter's don't take offense) would just be so-so. Not the case, place was fucking chaos from beginning to end. Whole floor was a fucking warzone. I had an area walled off for me to film, the barricade (which was heavy as hell) was blasted over, knocking the camera from my hands, almost shit a brick. Thankfully the ol' girl was fine (for the time being). Had to hold the camera, as the bass drum was so powerful it shook my tripod, which isn't a cheap one. To make things even sweeter, this bar has an outstanding beer selection, and tickets were $12.

M_kYSXr2m4M
nZMkgzBjlFU

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 05:06 AM

Soilwork
March 14, 2013
@ Bogie's
Albany, NY

Fun ass trip with 2 good friends. Hadn't seen Soilwork live since 2009. Have always thought they're an underrated band, and while their style isn't typically my thing, I really like these guys, and they are an outstanding live band. Speed's vocals live are just as good live as they are in the studio. Was a disappointing turn out in Albany, maybe 75-100 people, but the band still busted ass and put on a great show. Got loaded on Lowenbrau before the show, and kinda hung out and casually watched the openers. Can't remember all of 'em, but no one really stood out. Soilwork destroyed the place, played about 90 minutes which featured an awesome setlist. Wouldn't mind a real early song, or a song or 2 off of Sworn To A Great Divide, but still a great set. Got to chat w/ Speed after the show, seemed like a very nice guy.

Haven't gotten around to uploading vids. Only recently found the tape.

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 05:21 AM

Slayer
November 30, 2013
@ Tsongas Center
Lowell, MA

I had mixed feeling about Slayer continuing after Jeff's passing, and downright negative feelings after they fired Dave. I still think the band should just bring Dave back, do a final worldwide farewell tour, and call it quits. But anyway............

I had told myself that I was done buying Slayer albums or seeing them live unless they were closeby, due to the aforementioned reasons. But after reading reviews here and a few other places about how excellent the first shows were on this tour, I decided to recruit the crew and do a little road trip for their Lowell show. Other than being slammed hungover from the night before, such an awesome show. I can't consider this the best Slayer show I've been to considering it was without Jeff, but I have no problem giving it the runner up out of the 9x I've seen them. The atmosphere was great, the floor was very intense for a North American crowd and the band was fucking outstanding. It was without a doubt the absolute best I've ever heard Tom sound at any of the shows I've seen. He didn't hold back at all. My friend, who's seen Slayer with me 3x andisn't a hardcore fan of the band said it was by far their best performance. Not only the best show of the year easily, might be in my top 10 of all time.

rWNk0PgGy0E
XN54-b3XVjE
D-EQdVFrB8U
25NyjJoDWsY

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 05:28 AM
5 Biggest Disappointments

These aren't neccessarily the 5 worst albums to my ears of the year, just the ones I was disappinted in the most.

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ghost-infestissumam.jpg

Ghost
Infestissumam

Not a bad album, but absolutely nothing stood out to me, nor did this album ever make me want to play it again after I listened a few times. I thought the band were some fake ass hipsters (still do, to an extent), but I then saw them live at the 2012 Orion Fest and really enjoyed their performance, so I checked out their first album and liked it. Was excited to check this out, but was thoroughly disappointed. So bland and uninspired in comparison to their first album, it seems. One of my partners at work is in a rock band, older dude, outstanding guitar player, and during down time at work I'm always playing various metal for him. Some of which he likes, some he doesn't. When I played this, he says "Who the hell are these guys?" I gave him a brief history on the band and his response was "I don't care for it. Sounds like an average pop band trying to play Blue Oyster Cult." I almost couldn't believe it, cause that's about exactly how I'd describe this album. Not anything I'll ever listen to again.

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 05:31 AM

http://www.metalobsession.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Jungle-Rot-Terror-Regime.jpg

Jungle Rot
Terror Regime

Now this one IS one of the worst albums I listened to this year. Never really cared a whole lot for JR's albums, but I think they're great live. Naturally, I checked this one out, and man, it's bad. SO boring. Boring and bland, absolutely nothing that made me want to listen to it again. I can't even say it's generic, because most generic death metal isn't terrible to my ears. This was awful. It was tough to listen to.

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 05:37 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/The_Divinity_of_Purpose.jpg

Hatebreed
The Divinity of Purpose

This isn't a bad album, it's just not that good. I still listen to a few songs on the album, but I find myself skipping most of it. After they streamed the first track, 'Put It to the Torch', I was excited cause I fucking loved that song. The rest, other than a few tunes, isn't great. Hatebreed had promised this album would be "all pit and no shit." Well, unfortunately, there is some shit. Some downright bad songs. This album is barely better than their last, which sucked. Jamey's voice isn't what it used to be (can't fault the guy), and a lot of the tunes are the same recycled riffs, and I don't find myself wanting to break things when I listen to this record, like I do with their first 4 albums. Again, not a bad album, but when a band that's in my personal Top 15 bands barely makes your Top 25 Albums OTY list, you know it's far from their best work.

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 05:49 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1b/Super_Collider_Megadeth.jpg/220px-Super_Collider_Megadeth.jpg

Megadeth
Supercollider

What the hell is this piece of shit? Their last album sucked (which I actually didn't mind when it first came out. I've since really started to dislike the album), and while you're never really sure what to expect from Dave, I didn't expect this. No need to go into great detail, as the true shittiness of this album has already been discussed here many times. All that needs to be said is this album is simply awful. A poor and laughable attempt by the band to make a commercially successful (who knows, it probably sold well) radio rock album. Really funny to read the Megadeth sheep on FB ranting about how good this album is. I'm like "Dude, what?"

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 05:59 AM

http://www.metalpaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/korn-the-paradigm-shift.jpg

Korn
The Paradigm Shift

Korn hasn't made a great album since 2002's Untouchables (wasn;t great, but you know what I mean), now that Head is back, this new one has got to be their best since, right? Wrong. I was excited to see Head back in the band, and after watching some videos of their lives shows with him, it seemed the band was excited themselves. Naturally, I expected this album to be good. I didn't expect another self-titled, but I was thinking they could at least match Issues or Untouchables. They didn't, not even close.

I watched the video for Never Never, and almost couldn't believe how bad it was. Hated the song. I checked out the whole album once it was released, and actually had some faith while/after listening to the opener, Prey For Me. That's actually a pretty solid tune, certainly worth listening to a few times. Nothing after that comes even close. There are a couple decent tracks that are listenable, but nothing that has made want to listen to the album anymore. Some flat out BAD tracks. Really thought the band would put something together after the string of so-so albums and their dubstep "experiement." Gone is the power and crunch, gone is their signature groove, the only unique aspect that remains is Fieldy's bass, which put behind lame-o guitar riffs along w/ simple drum beats an 8-year-old could master, isn't the same. The little bit of faith I had remaining in Korn is gone. At least from what I've seen online, they're still solid live.

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 06:18 AM
Top 5 Biggest Pleasant Suprises

Won't go into detail as these all made my Top 25, they'll get small reviews there. But these are 5 albums that I was pleasantly suprised with how much I liked, either because I'm not a huge fan of the band, poor recent albums, etc.

Ministry
From Beer to Eternity

I always listen to Ministry when a new album comes out, because I like their older stuff (Filth Pig and earlier, back to early 90's, not their 80's stuff), but never like it. Liked this album, some good tunes.

Winds of Plague
Resistance

Their last album sucked, was just bad. Didn't expect to like this, but I did. Not outstanding or groundbreaking, but an enjoyable, fun listen.

Warbringer
IV: Empires Collapse

Have never been a huge fan of Warbinger's albums, rather more of a fan of their live show. This album fucking shreds. Some absolute riff-o-rama, and I actually enjoy the vocals, which in thrash metal, are an aspect I often times dislike.

Acranius
When Mutation Becomes Homicidal

This album has already been lauded by a few here and rightfully so. I never expect anything different when I listen to Slam Death, but this was a breath of fresh air. Very unique and absolutely pounding blend of Brutal Deathcore, Slam Death, and Beatdown Hardcore.

Waking the Cadaver
Real Life Death

It's been 7 years since 'Chased Through the Woods by a Rapist' came out. Band is A LOT better. Never thought anything these guys did was outstanding, but it was fun, brutal, heavy ass brutal deathcore. This album fucking slams. Heavy, heavy, heavy. Lot's of great tunes.

kalfitegrdan
12-31-2013, 06:49 AM
I didn't think the new Ghost was as horrible as you do, but it was definitely a major drop in quality from the first one. "Year Zero" is still a pretty sweet song though.

I'm apparently the opposite of you with Jungle Rot. I don't think they're very good live, but they usually make a pretty good album (which the exception of this one this one which was horrid), but their last album, Kill on Command was pretty good and What Horror Awaits was fucking great.

Thankfully I've avoided the new Megadeth and KorRn albums thus far.

Keep up the list, man. I look forward to reading the rest.:fist:

kalfitegrdan
12-31-2013, 06:50 AM
Winds of Plague
Resistance

Their last album sucked, was just bad. Didn't expect to like this, but I did. Not outstanding or groundbreaking, but an enjoyable, fun listen.

Huh, guess I'll have to actually check that out. Some songs on the previous album were aight, but yeah it did suck.

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 06:55 AM
I didn't think the new Ghost was as horrible as you do, but it was definitely a major drop in quality from the first one. "Year Zero" is still a pretty sweet song though.

I'm apparently the opposite of you with Jungle Rot. I don't think they're very good live, but they usually make a pretty good album (which the exception of this one this one which was horrid), but their last album, Kill on Command was pretty good and What Horror Awaits was fucking great.

Thankfully I've avoided the new Megadeth and KorRn albums thus far.

Keep up the list, man. I look forward to reading the rest.:fist:

Eh, didn't think Ghost was horrible, or even bad, just nothing on it that makes me want to listen again.

Yeah, for whatever reason, JR just seems kinda bland on record to me, but they were great the one time I saw them live. Haha, maybe it was an "on" night for 'em.

Good decision on your part avoiding Megadeth and Korn.

Huh, guess I'll have to actually check that out. Some songs on the previous album were aight, but yeah it did suck.

Exactly what I thought, as well.

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Top 25 Albums of 2013

Here goes...............

http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/data/bands/immolation/releases/immolation-kingdom-of-conspiracy.jpg?x=330&y=330

Immolation
Kingdom of Conspiracy
Genre: Death Metal

A solid old school death metal record, with an ever-so-slight hint of Swedish death metalish sound here and there. Nothing truly outstanding, but it's a very enjoyable listen. The first few tracks are great, especially the title track. Album can get a little stale, but very listenable, and the first 3 tracks are great. Title track is my favorite tune.

Kingdom of Conspiracy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ81n4mxaFA)

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 07:10 AM
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/loudwire.com/files/2013/06/132-300x300.jpg
Gorgeous cover, huh? Haha

Ministry
From Beer to Eternity
Genre: Industrial Metal/Industrial Rock

Like I said with my quick review earlier, haven't dug a Ministry record in a while. Dug the first half of this album, 2nd is kind of blah. Mix of straight up metal, industrial, hard rock, and small amounts of techno. Some of the first few songs have some absolutely awesome riffs. PermaWar is a fucking great song. I think Al's voice has gone down hill a bit, but considering he age, he's still doing what he needs to do. A fun listen, nothing pretentious or self-righteous here. Just an old coke-head and some hired guns playing some solid industrial metal. A very suprising and enjoyable listen.

PermaWar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwvoHP7bUAw)

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 07:17 AM
http://www.terrorizer.com/terrorizerwordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Harms-Way-Blinded_400x400.jpg
Harm's Way
Blinded
Genre: Hardcore

This is the first Harm's Way record I've actually sat down and listened to. Was suprised. I always thought they were more of a straight up hardcore band, but this is pretty unique. It's a very angry and negative sounding album, which is I usually like. They lace their angry ass hardcore with metal and even some hints of industrial and atmospheric and noise overtones. I usually don't care for those, but it works here. I feel like this band has a generally negative opinion of the human race. As do I, which makes me like this record a little more. Bad ass vocals and heavily distorted guitars exacerbate this tone. Metal fans of many genres would probably enjoy this.

Blinded (full album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRMsjjL3x3Y)

dcmetal108
12-31-2013, 08:32 AM

Yeah its a good album but I still really love the last one.

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 08:50 AM
http://www.cdbanq.com/thumbnail.asp?file=http://cdbanq.net/img/shop13/QATE-10043.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0
Carcass
Surgical Steel
Genre: Death Metal/Death n' Roll

Sure, I'll be lambasted for some for having this lower than others on my list as it goes on. It's all about what sounds good to me. I really wanted to like this album more than I did. I still like it, and while it has some awesome riffs and crazy drumming, I'm not a fan of raspy vocals. I like my death metal to be more grunty/growly. Not that they're bad, just not my cup of tea. But again, the musicianship on this record is great. Some absolutely awesome riffs, great drumming, and many songs have speedy sections that could induce epilectic seizures. Enjoyable listen.

Surgical Steel (full album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrvOIeMTSwM)

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 08:51 AM
Yeah its a good album but I still really love the last one.

EVIL FUCKIN' FEARS ME!!!

I kid, cause that's one of the few songs from their last album I actually like.

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 09:02 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/The_Divinity_of_Purpose.jpg
Hatebreed
The Divinity of Purpose
Genre: Hardcore/Metalcore

As I touched on when I mentioned this im my Top 5 Disappointments, I don't think it's a bad album, it's just not good for Hatebreed. I still listen to the album as there are some good songs, especially the opener. Plenty of great breakdowns, heavy guitars, solid drumming and decent songwriting, but not a whole lot stands out. Jamey's voice isn't quite outstanding anymore, and many of the riffs are rehased. But again, there are still some good songs, and is still worth a listen. It's a slight improvement over their last album, and as always seems to be the case w/ Hatebreed albums, the production is top-notch.

Put It to the Torch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozd-T2k6_JE)
Idoloized and Vilified (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuvwD3Y9xto)

hellawaits77ny
12-31-2013, 09:32 AM
http://inyourspeakers.com/files/imagecache/298x298/images/reviews/tumblr_mh57gfddqk1qzwqylo1_r2_500-7254.jpg
Killswitch Engage
Disarm the Descent
Genre: Metalcore

Was never a big KSE fan, but I have several friends who are, and have subsequently heard plenty of them. I must say I was pleasantly suprised, as I actually enjoyed this album. It's nothing that I listen to a lot, but it's a good spin. First quarter of the album is it's strongest. Should the rest of the album have kept up with the beginning, it could have made my top 10. Throughout the album though, the guitars sound great and the drumming is outstanding. The opening track, 'The Hell in Me' is a great tune. Overall, I prefer Jesse to Howard, so that also gives the album a little boost.

The Hell in Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhhQjw0Ag8o)
In Due Time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANCzu70us4)The Hell in Me

kalfitegrdan
01-01-2014, 11:15 PM
http://www.terrorizer.com/terrorizerwordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Harms-Way-Blinded_400x400.jpg
Harm's Way
Blinded
Genre: Hardcore

This is the first Harm's Way record I've actually sat down and listened to. Was suprised. I always thought they were more of a straight up hardcore band, but this is pretty unique. It's a very angry and negative sounding album, which is I usually like. They lace their angry ass hardcore with metal and even some hints of industrial and atmospheric and noise overtones. I usually don't care for those, but it works here. I feel like this band has a generally negative opinion of the human race. As do I, which makes me like this record a little more. Bad ass vocals and heavily distorted guitars exacerbate this tone. Metal fans of many genres would probably enjoy this.

Blinded (full album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRMsjjL3x3Y)

You should definitely check out their previous album, Isolation. Negative as fuck hardcore, but with less of the Swedish death metal influence that's on this one. The breakdown in the title track is so stupid heavy.

hellawaits77ny
01-02-2014, 04:50 AM
http://lgoat.com/i/news/Winds_of_Plague_resistance.jpg

Winds of Plague
Resistance
Genre: Melodic Deathcore

Lambast away. Didn't expect a whole lot from this album, as WOP's last album sucked, IMO. This isn't anything ground breaking or new, and while it doesn't come close to 'Decimate The Weak' (their debut and best album by far), it could rival 'The Great Stone War'. The best way I can describe this album is that it's a fun listen. Basic riffs and breakdowns, fairly generic vocals, but again, a fun listen. Production is a lot more clear and even than their last album, without being overproduced. I do however, miss the technical riffage that we heard in their first 2 albums. I'm thinking the band wants to stay straight forward and heavy, rather than technical.

Open the Gates of Hell (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_lB-_J3eM&list=PLiH1x7s6zwQldJHnT7NQKORCt1_UEx-vQ)
Sewer Mouth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqszxA5QS3Q)

hellawaits77ny
01-02-2014, 06:03 AM
http://www.metalblade.com/us/covers/Entrails-RagingDeath.jpg
Entrails
Raging Death
Genre: Swedish Death Metal

Some old school sounding Swedish Death Metal right here, my boys. Was introduced to these guys by a dude who works in the same building as me. Apparently their last album, 'The Tomb Awaits' was universally acclaimed, and considered one of the best death metal albums of 2011. Need to check that one out. Straight forward, old school sounding death metal. Thick and crunchy guitars and pounding bass. Clean, yet still a little fuzzy, production. The kind of production I think works great for old school death metal. A lot of the tunes have some awesomely complex structures without getting wank. Lot's of different riffs and tempos. Track #5, 'Cadaverous Stench', is an absolutely gorgeous tune. Slow, groovy and technical, reminds me a lot of Cannibal Corpse's 'Gallery of Suicide'. An excellent track, one of my top songs of the year. Unfortunately, no vid of it on YouTube. I can't picture any old school death metal fan not enjoying these guys.

In Pieces (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeurxdwV25o)
Bloodhammer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS7Wu2fTO_w)

hellawaits77ny
01-02-2014, 06:06 AM
You should definitely check out their previous album, Isolation. Negative as fuck hardcore, but with less of the Swedish death metal influence that's on this one. The breakdown in the title track is so stupid heavy.

Will do, and thanks for the head's up.

hellawaits77ny
01-02-2014, 09:03 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61s7fPptZ0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Guttural Secrete
Nourishing the Spoil
Genre: Technical Brutal Death Metal

Gotten into Brutal Death Metal (and all it's annoyingly-named subgenres) big time over the past 2 years. For those that aren't familiar, these guys are a very unique blend of brutal death, tech death, slam, and grind. Not unlike Benighted, for those of you who are familiar w/ those psychotic Frenchmen. This is a catchy and brutal-ass death metal record. Plenty of techincal doodles that don't go into wank levels, crazy ass guitar riffs, heavy bass drops and killer slams and breakdowns. I hesitate to use the term breakdown, cause they're more slammy than chuggy. The vocals are a little generic, but their vocalist is certainly talented, and mixes up typical death metal grunts w/ slam gurgles. 'Stainless Conception' (lovely lyrics) and 'Serrated Impurities' are my favorite tracks. I was bummed to hear these guys broke up this year, but according to their FB page, it sounds as though they're making another album and self-releasing it this year. Great news, cause these guys have been around for 10+ years, which is a long ass time for a BDM band nowadays. I really think any death metal fan will dig this.

Nourishing the Spoil (full album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fytNBYOY_Ig)

hellawaits77ny
01-02-2014, 09:18 AM
http://www.thisisnotascene.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Warbringer-IV-Empires-Collapse.jpg
Warbringer
IV: Empires Collapse
Genre: Thrash Metal

I've never really gotten into Warbringer, mostly because the older I get, the less I like thrash, and the more I've gotten into death metal. I didn't check out their last album, and didn't really like their first 2, although I will say these guys are an outstanding live band, and I have the utmost respect for them seeing how much they tour and how hard they bust their asses. Didn't expect much from this album, especially seeing how many lineup changes they've had the past couple years. Man, I was pleasantly suprised. This album fucking shreds. Some absolutely riff-o-rama here. Without a doubt some of the best riffs of the year. I find a lot of thrash metal vocals cheesy, but I like what their vocalist does on this album. And the thing that sticks out to the most besides the quality of the riffs is how the album doesn't get stale. At least not to me. 'Horizon' and 'Black Sun, Black Moon' are my favorite tracks. This album requires almost non-stop air guitar. Preferably in public.

IV: Empires Collapse (full album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW8JjDco-LA)

hellawaits77ny
01-03-2014, 05:49 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/7/4/1/374146.jpg?0612
Acranius
When Mutation Becomes Homicidal
Genre: Brutal Deathcore/Slam Death Metal

Cover art of the year, IMO. As someone already mentioned in their end of the year thread, this album is a huge breath of fresh air in the Slam Death genre. Slam has really had a huge amount of new bands show up in the past 2 years, and a lot of it flat out sucks. Shitty, mindless breakdowns w/ generic fart and burp noises a la vocals. These German guys are a unique blend of Brutal Deathcore, Slam Death, and Hardcore. Their are both slams and normal breakdowns on this record. Breakdowns are so-so, while the slams are outstanding. Decent musicianship. Very powerful guitars and bass drums. Production is decent overall, but very effective for the genre. Vocals are nothing out of this world, but they're effective. The biggest thing I take from this album is how heavy it is. Blast beats are used effectively and bass drops are well placed, not just there for the sake of being heavy. Certainly not for everyone, but any Brutal Death fan should check these guys out.

When Mutation Becomes Homicidal (Full Album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt6x76ZnEtM)

hellawaits77ny
01-03-2014, 07:34 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c3/Suffocation_-_Pinnacle_of_Bedlam_album_cover.jpg
Suffocation
Pinnacle of Bedlam
Genre: Brutal Death Metal

Well, it's Suffocation. Not their best album, but I preferred this over Blood Oath. Very bummed I didn't get to see them on their last tour, as it's apparently Frank's last, and I've never seen them live :mad:. I was not too sure what to think, as the first song the band streamed fuckin sucked. Not sure why they choose that one, as it's easily the worst song on the album. While it's nothing new from Suffocation, in the end, it's everything that made them one of the most popular bands in death metal. Ferocious and heavy guitar licks, great drumming and the unmistakable Frank Mullen growl. If I could change anything, it'd be to make the album more slammy. There are some good slams and breakdowns here, but not as many as their older stuff.

Pinnacle of Bedlam (Full Album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsFD2AVrIaY)

kalfitegrdan
01-03-2014, 09:18 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61s7fPptZ0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Guttural Secrete
Nourishing the Spoil
Genre: Technical Brutal Death Metal

Gotten into Brutal Death Metal (and all it's annoyingly-named subgenres) big time over the past 2 years. For those that aren't familiar, these guys are a very unique blend of brutal death, tech death, slam, and grind. Not unlike Benighted, for those of you who are familiar w/ those psychotic Frenchmen. This is a catchy and brutal-ass death metal record. Plenty of techincal doodles that don't go into wank levels, crazy ass guitar riffs, heavy bass drops and killer slams and breakdowns. I hesitate to use the term breakdown, cause they're more slammy than chuggy. The vocals are a little generic, but their vocalist is certainly talented, and mixes up typical death metal grunts w/ slam gurgles. 'Stainless Conception' (lovely lyrics) and 'Serrated Impurities' are my favorite tracks. I was bummed to hear these guys broke up this year, but according to their FB page, it sounds as though they're making another album and self-releasing it this year. Great news, cause these guys have been around for 10+ years, which is a long ass time for a BDM band nowadays. I really think any death metal fan will dig this.

Nourishing the Spoil (full album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fytNBYOY_Ig)

Holy shit! I didn't even know Guttural Secrete released an album this year. "Razorized Ball Gag" by them is probably my favorite slam song of all time.

hellawaits77ny
01-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Holy shit! I didn't even know Guttural Secrete released an album this year. "Razorized Ball Gag" by them is probably my favorite slam song of all time.

I hang out at the Devourment forum, so I hear about a lot of new Brutal Death. Highly suggest you check this album out!

hellawaits77ny
01-04-2014, 06:05 AM
http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Deeds-of-Flesh-Portals-to-Canaan-e1325429251104.jpg
Deeds of Flesh
Portals to Canaan
Genre: Death Metal/Brutal Technical Death Metal

Another band I think is very underrated. Don't hear much about them anymore. Haven't listened to more than a few songs by these guys before this, but now I'm checking out their back catalogue. This is an outstanding death metal album. It's a concept album about an alien race taking over Earth. Straight up death metal with aspects of brutal death, tech death and some progressive death metal. One of the tightest death metal records of the year, and maybe of the past few years. All instruments are perfectly in sync and layered perfectly, without being overproduced. I think the vocals are among the best, if not THE best, I've heard on any DOF album. Again, I haven't listened to their entire discography, but I'd say this is their best album from what I've listened to. My favorite aspect is the crunch of the bass and bass drum. Bass is slightly audible, and the bass drum is perfectly layered. Some technical riffs that in spots, remind me of Necrophagist. The progressive-esque riffs are unique and enjoyable without getting wank, ghey, or over-the-top. Also features the ocassional heavy ass slam. Again, a very underrated band. ANY death metal fan should check these guys out.

Amidst the Ruins (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfqNG8QYsBw)
Rise of the Virum Juggernaut (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWd0M-Uo1O8)

TehBr00tulz
01-04-2014, 08:34 AM
http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Deeds-of-Flesh-Portals-to-Canaan-e1325429251104.jpg
Deeds of Flesh
Portals to Canaan
Genre: Death Metal/Brutal Technical Death Metal

Another band I think is very underrated. Don't hear much about them anymore. Haven't listened to more than a few songs by these guys before this, but now I'm checking out their back catalogue. This is an outstanding death metal album. It's a concept album about an alien race taking over Earth. Straight up death metal with aspects of brutal death, tech death and some progressive death metal. One of the tightest death metal records of the year, and maybe of the past few years. All instruments are perfectly in sync and layered perfectly, without being overproduced. I think the vocals are among the best, if not THE best, I've heard on any DOF album. Again, I haven't listened to their entire discography, but I'd say this is their best album from what I've listened to. My favorite aspect is the crunch of the bass and bass drum. Bass is slightly audible, and the bass drum is perfectly layered. Some technical riffs that in spots, remind me of Necrophagist. The progressive-esque riffs are unique and enjoyable without getting wank, ghey, or over-the-top. Also features the ocassional heavy ass slam. Again, a very underrated band. ANY death metal fan should check these guys out.

Amidst the Ruins (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfqNG8QYsBw)
Rise of the Virum Juggernaut (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWd0M-Uo1O8)

It's funny, I know a lot of people that loved this album, but I feel like this album was pretty weak compared to other albums that came out this year (Defeated Sanity, Guttural Secrete), plus I feel like Wormed does the whole alien-science thing better. If you're checking out their back catalog, make sure to listen to Trading Pieces. That's my favorite album by them.

hellawaits77ny
01-04-2014, 08:37 AM
I feel like Wormed does the whole alien-science thing better. .

Never gave my opinion on the concept, simply stated it..........

I don't judge a band or music on their/it's lyrical subject matter, or else I wouldn't listen to most death metal, expecially slam. It's sometimes fun/interesting to read intelligent, inspirational or interesting lyrics, but most of the time I don't pay much attention.

hellawaits77ny
01-04-2014, 08:51 AM
http://images.cdn.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/126765393/max_h-1000+max_w-1000/full_full_CRANIOTOMY____Supply_Of_Flesh_Came_Just_ In_Time.jpg
Craniotomy
Supply of Flesh Came Just in Time
Genre: Slam Death Metal

Had never heard of this band, let alone checked them out, until this year. Loved the album, so I checked out some of their previous work. These guys are a criminially underrated slam band. They don't play live much, so I'm assuming that plays a role, but in any circumstance, I'm not sure why this band is so rarely mentioned in slam chat. They're an especially heavy and sludgy mix of Slam Death and Grindcore. Their albums are produced very well, have good sound quality. I agree Slam can benefit from slightly shitty sound quality on occasion, but when it's produced well, I always seem to enjoy it more. Very heavy and sludgy guitars, sound is extremely "thick". Powerful and quality drumming and unique vocals. A throaty, slightly froggy gurgle. The riffs on this album are some of the thickest and heaviest of the year, IMO. The opener, 'Mr Butcher' is my favorite tune from the album.

Supply of Flesh Came Just in Time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SBaCofO60&list=PLx4noZSuIWxMGeduRdfEYtigzGgQ39LZi)

Dextrimental
01-04-2014, 10:22 AM
That Craniotomy is sick, good find man! I wish I enjoyed more slam/death metal, because the album art in those genres can be so fucking cool :lol: Cool list so far dude!

TehBr00tulz
01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Never gave my opinion on the concept, simply stated it..........

I don't judge a band or music on their/it's lyrical subject matter, or else I wouldn't listen to most death metal, expecially slam. It's sometimes fun/interesting to read intelligent, inspirational or interesting lyrics, but most of the time I don't pay much attention.

Very true, and I guess I misinterpreted that part of you said, and I apologize. I just like Wormed's lyrics and concept because it's different from most Brutal Death Metal nowadays. As for the music itself, like you said, I don't judge based on their lyrics, otherwise I would never have discovered the wonders of slams. I'm a person who prefers whether the vocals go with the music, don't really care for lyrics.

Also, holy shit, how have I never heard Craniotomy before?

hellawaits77ny
01-04-2014, 11:06 AM
That Craniotomy is sick, good find man! I wish I enjoyed more slam/death metal, because the album art in those genres can be so fucking cool :lol: Cool list so far dude!

Oh trust me, I understand. There's plenty of slam that I can't stand, so I can certainly see how it can turn some away. If you take some time though, there are a few guys on YT that upload tons of slam to their channels, that's how I find a lot of it. BrutalityDeath66 or something like that is one of 'em. And yes, there is for sure some awesome slam covers out there. And I'm glad you're enjoying the list!

Very true, and I guess I misinterpreted that part of you said, and I apologize. I just like Wormed's lyrics and concept because it's different from most Brutal Death Metal nowadays. As for the music itself, like you said, I don't judge based on their lyrics, otherwise I would never have discovered the wonders of slams. I'm a person who prefers whether the vocals go with the music, don't really care for lyrics.

Also, holy shit, how have I never heard Craniotomy before?

No apologies needed, man. I knew what you meant, I was just sayin'.

That's exactly what I said when I found these guys. Never heard of 'em, and they've been around since '98, with 4 full length's out. Their first album kinda sucked, but the next two were very good. Not sure why these guys aren't more well known.

hellawaits77ny
01-05-2014, 05:42 AM
http://images.cdn.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/123470112/max_h-1000+max_w-1000/Extermination_Dismemberment_-_Serial_Urbicide.jpg
Extermination Dismemberment
Serial Urbicide

Not going to say much the others that have mentioned this album didn't already say. This is without a doubt the heaviest album I listened to this year. Granted I don't listen to hundreds of albums each year like some do (nothing wrong w/ that, just sayin'), I'll put this album up against any for heaviest of the year. The slams are sludgy and heavy, the guitar tone is almost perfect for slam. The bass drops are just fucking insanely heavy. Yes, they're there for the sake of being heavy. Stupid heavy. So heavy the recording level is blatantly turned down, and there is still crackling going on. The drummer is talented, both on the snare and the bass drum. None of the tinny, uneven blast beats we here from many Brutal Death bands. The first few times I listened, I though the vocalist was pretty average, but after a few more listens, the vokes started to grow. The guy is pretty talented, can spew some long ass growls and gurgles without sounding too burpy or farty. And NO PIG SQUEALS! The opener, 'Disemboweled Engorgement' and the title track are my favorite tunes. The bass drop into the slam in the title track is fucking beyond heavy. This album was in the 20's on my list after the first couple listens, but each time I blasted it while lifting it made me roar with every rep. That tends to give it a boost! The more I listen to it, the more I think if I re-arranged the list now, it might be even higher! Most people here won't like it, but any Brutal Death fan (don't neccessarilly have to be a slam fan) would almost assuredly love this.

Serial Urbicide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-E9KODwpM)

hellawaits77ny
01-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Now fer 'da top 10........

http://moole.ru/uploads/posts/2013-03/1363530396_cover.jpg
Gutfucked
Fucked to Death
Genre: Slam Death Metal/Grindcore

A pretty unique sounding band here. They call themselves "Slamming Goregrind". Fairly accurate description, but I'll chat a little more (not that anyone cares) about their style. Brutal Death with heavy aspects of slam and grindcore, as well as some tech death. The vocalist is pretty solid, he has a good range. Gurgles, some shrieks, and his main vocals are tough to explain, sort of like a toilet flushing and the crackling of an open fire (if that's not the dumbest description you've ever read..........). Production is kind of poop, which is a bummer. But the band mixes heavy slams, solid guitar riffs, and some self absorbed oodly riffs. A lot of slam bands use samples, some of which work, others are just stupid. These guys use clips from comedies, I almost split a gut when I heard the sample they used from "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story". Really unique and fun slam.

Fucked to Death (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGXGjCGmg4A)

hellawaits77ny
01-05-2014, 08:31 AM
http://metalitalia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Katalepsy-Autopsychosis-2013.jpg
Katalepsy
Autopsychosis

I had listened to some Katalepsy before this one, and was never really all that impressed. Decent slammy brutal death, but nothing outstanding or creative. Figured I'd give this one a spin and man, am I glad I did. Did some research, and the band has had a ton of lineup changes over the years. They've been around since '03 which is nice to see in a Brutal Death band, and have finally made an outstanding album. Straight up heavy ass brutal death with aspects of slam and tech death. Almost a Cannibal Corpse/Devourment hybrid, I guess. Probably a better anology, but that's what comes to mind without thinking much. Perhaps even a touch of deathcore as well. Guitar playing is very nice, reminds me of Dying Fetus a bit, as far as style and approximation of technical riffs. Drumming is very powerful, and all the instruments mesh well together. Bass is inaudible at times, but noticeable and powerful at others. Again, it all meshes well. Their vocalist is pretty talented. His normal growls remind me of a Glen Benton/John Gallagher hybrid, and once in a while he will use some very impressive slam-style gurgles. And a rarity in gurgles, some of them are slightly audible. Album is overall extremely brutal and heavy without being full-on brutal for brutal's sake. One of the top 5 of the year in terms of heaviness for me. No tunes really stick out to me as particularly outstanding, rather there simply isn't a weak song. 10 soild tunes here. If hard pressed to choose, I'd go with the openers 'Lurking in the Depth' and 'Evidence of Near Death (E.N.D.)' as the best. I know most people won't check this out due to the rest of my list, but I really believe fans of any subgenre of Death Metal will really enjoy this album. Highly suggest you take a few minutes and listen.

Autopsychosis (Full Album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxY-jj7CpyE)

TehBr00tulz
01-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I feel Autopsychosis was a HUGE step up from Musick Brings Injuries, personally. Hell, as soon as the opening track started, I knew what I was in for.

smearCampaign
01-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Gutfucked
Fucked to Death

I saw these guys in 2012 on a bill of all slam/brootal death bands and they actually stood out. I'll check this one out. Thanks. :rocker:

jhdeity
01-05-2014, 10:35 AM

Gutfucked
Fucked to Death

A pretty unique sounding band here. They call themselves "Slamming Goregrind". Fairly accurate description, but I'll chat a little more (not that anyone cares) about their style. Brutal Death with heavy aspects of slam and grindcore, as well as some tech death. The vocalist is pretty solid, he has a good range. Gurgles, some shrieks, and his main vocals are tough to explain, sort of like a toilet flushing and the crackling of an open fire (if that's not the dumbest description you've ever read..........). Production is kind of poop, which is a bummer. But the band mixes heavy slams, solid guitar riffs, and some self absorbed oodly riffs. A lot of slam bands use samples, some of which work, others are just stupid. These guys use clips from comedies, I almost split a gut when I heard the sample they used from "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story". Really unique and fun slam.

Usually I get a chuckle out of the bug splatter logos but this one is actually cool. I dig the artwork also. Doubt I would dig the toilet flushing fire cracklin' vocals but I'm gonna give em a whirl anyway

hellawaits77ny
01-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I feel Autopsychosis was a HUGE step up from Musick Brings Injuries, personally. Hell, as soon as the opening track started, I knew what I was in for.

For sure, brutally heavy from the start. I didn't like their former vocalist's style on Musick Brings Injuries. Wasn't a bad album, but very blah as far as the vocals go. The same guy was on their 2010 EP (the name escapes me), and he sounded much better on that one. Their current guy though, I think is great.

Dextrimental
01-05-2014, 11:38 AM

Gutfucked
Fucked to Death

Hahahahaha the intro music is from an anime called Elfen Lied, random!

hellawaits77ny
01-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Usually I get a chuckle out of the bug splatter logos but this one is actually cool. I dig the artwork also. Doubt I would dig the toilet flushing fire cracklin' vocals but I'm gonna give em a whirl anyway

Same here, most of 'em you can't even read. Yeah the vocals certainly aren't for everyone, but I bet you'll like the music.

hellawaits77ny
01-07-2014, 11:51 AM
http://gunshyassassin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Waking-the-Cadaver-Real-Life-Death-album-cover-art-300x300.jpg
Waking The Cadaver
Real Life Death
Genre: Slam Death Metal/Brutal Deathcore

Go ahead and lambast away. I'll take my lumps from this one, or get "Lumped Up." See what I did there? 7 years have passed since 'Chased Through the Woods...........' became infamous. I agree, their first album was nothing good, and wasn't real fun to listen to. Still felt the immense amount of hatred was undeserved. Death metal fans hated them cause they thought the band was deathcore. Deathcore fans hated them because it wasn't deathcore. Not the best argument, but I think you see what I mean. Shitty album? Yes. Worse thing to ever be put on compact disc as some made it out to be? No. The band made another album 'Beyond Cops, Beyond God', which barring the name (which happens to be one of the dumbest album titles I've ever heard), wasn't a bad album. More straight forward death metal w/ aspects of brutal death. Not bad, not great.

But this album fucking slams. The absolute definition of "wigger bro slam", and for whatever reason, I love it. It just sounds good to me. It's a mix of Slam Death, Brutal Deathcore, and Beatdown Hardcore. Some very catchy guitar riffs, production is apropriate for the album's style, and while I still don't think their lead singer is outstanding, I don't mind the vocals whatsoever, except for the occasional pig squeal. This is just a heavy, fun, brutal ass album that is great to crank while working out or driving (I like to listen to as much death metal as possible when driving). Yes, I realize that an 8th grader in Special Education class (not making fun, just using an example) could write comparable lyrics, the slams and beatdowns combined with some catchy guitar riffs and overall heaviness make this an extremely fun and energizing listen to my ears.

Lumped Up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcBkuLCVSkk)
Life Lesson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyw0Lf0CAU4)

hellawaits77ny
01-07-2014, 11:52 AM
I saw these guys in 2012 on a bill of all slam/brootal death bands and they actually stood out. I'll check this one out. Thanks. :rocker:

Nice. You're lucky, I don't think they played a whole lot of live shows before their hiatus.

Nater
01-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Gutfucked
Fucked to Death

I fucking love this album. It's intense as fuck. I think the Hellraiser 3 sample is my favorite of all time. It's placed so perfectly.

mastodon421
01-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Holy shit Waking the Cadaver still exists?

hellawaits77ny
01-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Holy shit Waking the Cadaver still exists?

Lol, I guess!

mankvill
01-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Beyond Cops, Beyond Gods or whatever it was called was a really weird album. Like, it wasn't good, but it was such an improvement over their first album, that in comparison it WAS good. I guess I'll need to check out their latest.

hellawaits77ny
01-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Beyond Cops, Beyond Gods or whatever it was called was a really weird album. Like, it wasn't good, but it was such an improvement over their first album, that in comparison it WAS good. I guess I'll need to check out their latest.

Great way to describe it! You're right, it wasn't good, but it was SO different. Pretty much straight up death metal with some aspects of brutal death. this album is more like their first, but SO much better. "Beatdown wigger slam" at it's finest!

hellawaits77ny
01-08-2014, 06:47 AM
http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/deicideinthemindscd.jpg
Deicide
In The Minds of Evil
Genre: Death Metal

Deicide has recorded some classics in their storied career, as well as a few mediocre efforts. Being that this album came out so soon after 'To Hell With God' (which was an outstanding album IMO) led me to believe the album might be hurried, hence most likely mediocre. My expectations didn't really change after hearing the title track. However, I still went out and bought the album (I like to support bands I really like, plus I like to have the liner notes, etc.). The first few listens I'm thinking to myself, "Ok, this album is pretty solid, but not outstanding." But then the album REALLY started to grow on me. I read that the band had wanted to use less melodic stuff and sound more old school. Ralph being gone probably contributed to that. I had absolutely no problem with the amount of melody in the previous three albums ("Stench" is one of all time favorite death metal records, THWG was a great album, and I didn't hate 'Till Death Do Us Part' nearly as much as many did), and the solos on Stench and THWG were fuckin' awesome. The band accomplishes the old school sound wonderfully.

This is absolutely one of Deicide's heaviest albums, if not THE heaviest. Not the most brutal or extreme, but you know what I mean. The songs are fucking heavy, thick and crunchy. You can actually hear Glen's bass in some songs, which is extremely rare. 'Thou Begone' is a perfect example of that. That song features one of the most catchy riffs of the year IMO, and Glen's bass fuckin' pounds. That's probably my favorite song from the album. Steve's drums are, well, Steve's drums. Exceptionally executed and almost perfectly layered in the music. Overall, everything is tighter than virgin cooch. Certainly one of their tightest albums, everything sounds so good meshed together. The band doesn't totally abandon the melodic riffs as track 8 'Trample The Cross', features some outstanding riffs that would give some of the better melodic riffs of "Stench" a run for their money. Last but not least, you've gotta hand it to Glen for his vocals. No, he can't hit the highs or lows that he could hit during the 'Legion' era, but I feel his vocals are still outstanding. Evil and powerful! The only reason this album isn't higher is because the middle has a few songs that are just ok. A must listen for all death metal fans.

Though Begone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZPMpNWMcSM)
Trample the Cross (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhmAzrytPWE)

hellawaits77ny
01-10-2014, 06:30 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Vengeance_Falls_Artwork.jpg
Trivium
Vengeance Falls
Genre: Metalcore/Thrash Metal

Their last album, 'In Waves' grew on me over the past 2 years, as I didn't care for it much when it first came out. I still think there were too many attempts at radio rock-infused metal, that some of it came out sounding like straight cheese. Wasn't too sure what to expect, but when they streamed the opening track 'Brave This Storm'. Fucking great track. Fast, catchy riffs, and a great tempo. I like the lyrical arrangement too. The title track and 'Strife' keep the start of the album excellent. The title track is fairly heavy and has a very cool chorus. The middle of the album isn't bad, just nothing that really jumps out. The last track, 'Wake (The End Is Nigh" is a balladish tune at the beginning, but becomes rather heavy. Great tune. Not sure why it wasn't included in the regular version, but the Japanese version has 3 bonus tracks. One of them is 'There is No Hope for the Human Race', and that song is just fucking sick. Unfortunately, there's no vid on YT. Overall, this album is less core and more metal than previous albums. There are still some breakdowns and chugga-chugga rythyms, but there is more straight up thrashy and heavy riffs, and Matt Heafy has again channeled his inner James Hetfield, similar to what he did on "The Crusade", except this album is better. They've certainly taken some influences from Metallica, but not in a knock off way like Avenged Sevenfold. I know Trivium is a band that doesn't get much love around, but this is an excellent heavy metal record, you guys should check it out.

Brave This Storm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1VzeHFY9pM)
Wake (The End is Nigh) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko2JbYTNgDw)

hellawaits77ny
01-13-2014, 10:20 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/6/2/1/362122.jpg?0417
Sick
Cannabilistic Torment

Technically this album was released in December of 2012, but didn't see a widespread release till early 2013, so I'm including it. I found an article that linked this vid. The band used this as a marketing premise: "Slam in the style of Devourment's 'Molesting the Decapitated'." Uh, ok. Arguably the best slam death album in history, they're making something similar? Ok. Doubt it'd be anything near it, but I gave it a shot. Glad I did. This album is actually quite similar to MTD (not as good, obviously). Similar muddy, yet somehow awesome production, similar guitar tone and bass mix, and above all, stylistically it's very similar. Lot's of grind/slam/grind/slam. Simple, yet effective. Their vocalist is pretty talented, too. I think Ruben Rosas (the vocalist on MTD) is posesser of one the most insanely inhuman set of vocal chords ever put on Earth. Just crazy the shit he can do. That's why it was such a shame he moved to guitar after that album. But anyway, back to Sick. Their vocalist can make some insanely low guttural's, some of the best I've heard. The 5th track, 'Eviscerating the Corpulant', is my favorite. Absolutely insane track. This album really is pretty similar to Molesting the Decapitated, but has some differences to still make it unique in it's own right. A huge, pleasant suprise.

Cannabilistic Torment (full album) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMkJ3GO0jq8)

hellawaits77ny
01-16-2014, 04:43 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Black_Sabbath_13.jpg
Black Sabbath
Genre: Doom Metal/Heavy Metal

This album has been discussed to death here, so I won't go into much. All I really have to say is the first few songs of this album are outstanding, and wouldn't be out of place on their first few albums. Some absolutely killer riffage, heavy heavy heavy as they always have been, and Ozzy sounds better on this album than he has on his past.

hellawaits77ny
01-18-2014, 05:51 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/6/2/8/362859.jpg?5639
Devourment
Concieved in Sewage

First off, I will say that in some aspects, this album is a disappointment. Widely considered one of the pioneers of, and perhaps one of the best bands of the Slam Death Metal genre, the band steps away from that on this release. This is not a Slam record, but instead a very solid modern Brutal Death Metal album. Of course all the old slam dudes threw a fit, because for some reason they were expecting another 'Molesting the Decapitated'. Ok, 14 years later, with only 2 of the 5 members remaining, and those members not having the same responsibilites, they aren't going to record an album of that magnitude. People love to complain, and some people are extremely hard to please. Mike and Ruben have said in interviews that they've been writing similar music for almost 15 years, and wanted to change things up a bit. OK, I can understand that.

Anyway, a great modern brutal death album. There are still some quality slams on the album, Fifty Ton Warchine, the title track, and Parasitic Eruption are the slammiest songs. The title track is an extremely heavy and chuggy number. The production throughout is top notch, although I wouldn't mind the bass being more noticeable. Mike's vocals are different on this one. More typical death metal growls, in comparison to slam gurgles. He does blast out some slam gurgle on 'Parasitic Eruption' that rival the best and deepest he's ever done. After a disappointing opener, 'Legalize Homicide', there's really not a weak track on this album. Unfortunately, shortly before Devourment's first tour in years, bad news came out of Devourment camp. Ruben (guitar and 2nd longest tenured member) and Eric (drums) apparently left the band. Mike has said he and Chris (bass) will continue on, but that remains to be seen.

Concieved in Sewage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HfNdTKj_tI)
Parasitic Eruption (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiOlkgBLfT4)

GarageMetal468
01-18-2014, 07:28 AM
http://gunshyassassin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Waking-the-Cadaver-Real-Life-Death-album-cover-art-300x300.jpg
Waking The Cadaver
Real Life Death
Genre: Slam Death Metal/Brutal Deathcore

Go ahead and lambast away. I'll take my lumps from this one, or get "Lumped Up." See what I did there? 7 years have passed since 'Chased Through the Woods...........' became infamous. I agree, their first album was nothing good, and wasn't real fun to listen to. Still felt the immense amount of hatred was undeserved. Death metal fans hated them cause they thought the band was deathcore. Deathcore fans hated them because it wasn't deathcore. Not the best argument, but I think you see what I mean. Shitty album? Yes. Worse thing to ever be put on compact disc as some made it out to be? No. The band made another album 'Beyond Cops, Beyond God', which barring the name (which happens to be one of the dumbest album titles I've ever heard), wasn't a bad album. More straight forward death metal w/ aspects of brutal death. Not bad, not great.

But this album fucking slams. The absolute definition of "wigger bro slam", and for whatever reason, I love it. It just sounds good to me. It's a mix of Slam Death, Brutal Deathcore, and Beatdown Hardcore. Some very catchy guitar riffs, production is apropriate for the album's style, and while I still don't think their lead singer is outstanding, I don't mind the vocals whatsoever, except for the occasional pig squeal. This is just a heavy, fun, brutal ass album that is great to crank while working out or driving (I like to listen to as much death metal as possible when driving). Yes, I realize that an 8th grader in Special Education class (not making fun, just using an example) could write comparable lyrics, the slams and beatdowns combined with some catchy guitar riffs and overall heaviness make this an extremely fun and energizing listen to my ears.

Lumped Up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcBkuLCVSkk)
Life Lesson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyw0Lf0CAU4)

MONEY POWER DEATH

hellawaits77ny
01-18-2014, 07:49 AM
MONEY POWER DEATH

TILL I GET MY RESPECT

Like I said, lyrics an 8th grader could write. But it's a fun album!

hellawaits77ny
01-27-2014, 06:43 AM
Whoops, forgot about the thread, here are my top 2 of 2013:

#2: Terror - Live By the Code
#1: Soilwork - The Living Infinite