PDA

View Full Version : The Venue Name Change Thread

PVH5150
12-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Because sponsors.

Notice a new name on the marquee of your local theater, concert hall or summer shed? Post 'em here.

Two changes here within the last week.

Bank of America Pavilion in South Boston is now Blue Hills Bank Pavilion. 4th name for the venue since it was opened in 1994. Harbor Lights Pavilion and Fleet Boston Pavilion were the first two.

Comcast Center in Mansfield is now the Xfinity Center. 4th name for the venue since it opened in 1986. Great Woods and Tweeter Center were the first two.

Hopefully someone gets one so bad that it's hilarious. I need the next 1-800-ASK-GARY Amphitheater or KFC Yum! Center to happen.

adamclark52
12-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Well it's not that bad but the Warehouse in Toronto changed to the Kool Haus a few years ago and it just doesn't have the ring to it.

AnthG
12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
It's been more than a few years dude. It's been since at least 2002.

mankvill
12-28-2013, 09:32 PM
The big amphitheater here has had a million different names.

Growing up, it was Sandstone Amphitheater, then it was Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, and now it's Cricket Wireless Amphitheater or something. I just call it Sandstone.

The largest indoor non-arena venue here is called The Midland, but now the actual "theater" part in the venue where bands play is now called the "Arvest Bank Stage" or something stupid like that. Again, I just call it The Midland.

Coma323
12-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Comcast Center in Mansfield is now the Xfinity Center.
Haha first I've heard of this, nice to see it change since the one in Hartford is the Concast Theater. At least last I knew...

PVH5150
12-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Haha first I've heard of this, nice to see it change since the one in Hartford is the Comcast Theater. At least last I knew...

It wouldn't surprise me if that one changes as well. I'm pretty sure the Comcast name is being phased out. The name "Comcast" hasn't shown up on my internet/cable/phone bill in months, just "Xfinity", although my email address still ends in comcast.net

I don't know, man. Naming rights drive me nuts. Now we have two Xfinity venues in MA. The Big E out near Six Flags is officially the Xfinity Arena.

300%_Density
12-28-2013, 10:08 PM
The big amphitheater here has had a million different names.

Growing up, it was Sandstone Amphitheater, then it was Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, and now it's Cricket Wireless Amphitheater or something. I just call it Sandstone.

The largest indoor non-arena venue here is called The Midland, but now the actual "theater" part in the venue where bands play is now called the "Arvest Bank Stage" or something stupid like that. Again, I just call it The Midland.

I honestly had to look up Arvest Bank Stage. I went completely blank.

Plus the amphitheater in STL. Was Riverport. Then UMB Bank Pavillion. I think it went the Verizon Wireless route as well.

ravenheart
12-29-2013, 03:12 AM
The only one here recently was the HMV Apollo became the Eventim Apollo. Everyone just calls it Hammersmith Apollo. Apparently the HMV Ritz in Manchester just went back to being The Ritz.

At some point we'll have about six name changes at once, because O2 sponsor nearly every significant venue in London, and the venues owned by the same people in Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Leeds, Bristol and Sheffield.

The M.E.N. Arena in Manchester became the Phones 4u Arena recently.

Sanitarium78
12-29-2013, 04:15 AM
Our local arena where the Buffalo Sabres play has changed it's name three times since 1996.

From '96-'99 it was Marine Midland arena. Then '99-2011 it was the HSBC arena and now it's known as the First Niagara Center. Locals call it the "F'n center" for short.

There were some venues in the 90s that changed their names a bit but they're out of business now. Our arena seems to the only place that has changed it's name with any regularity.

adamclark52
12-29-2013, 05:18 AM
It's been more than a few years dude. It's been since at least 2002.

Has it been that long?

There was also the Docks changing to the Sound Academy and Skydome changing to the Rogers Center. But I'll always call it the Skydome.

Sanitarium78
12-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Has it been that long?

There was also the Docks changing to the Sound Academy and Skydome changing to the Rogers Center. But I'll always call it the Skydome.

I still call it the Skydome to. I don't like that the Docks changed it name. Considering it's location, that was the perfect name for the venue. For some reason it just sounds cooler to me than Sound Academy.

GarageMetal468
12-29-2013, 05:38 AM
The ampitheater in Tinley Park, IL used to be Tweeter Center. Now it's First Midwest Bank Ampitheater. It still sucks.

Maideneer
12-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Jones Beach Amphitheatre here used to be called Tommy Hilfiger at Jones Beach (Bruce made fun of it on the Dance Of Death tour), it's been Nikon at Jones Beach ever since.

Westbury Music Fair (a smaller theatre in the round) is now New York Community Bank Theatre, it used to be North Fork Bank Theatre and then Capital One Bank Theatre.

es156
12-29-2013, 08:15 AM
The ampitheater in Tinley Park, IL used to be Tweeter Center. Now it's First Midwest Bank Ampitheater. It still sucks.

And before that it was the World Amphitheater. And yes it does suck. But it is better than the Charter One Pavilion downtown which has now changed to FirstMerit Bank Pavilion.

Virtually all of the major arenas and amphitheaters have changed sponsors. The money involved is huge.

The arena in Chicago is one of the few that hasn't changed. I think it has been the United Center since it was built in the 90's. Of course, United has plenty of cash to keep the naming rights.

The arena in St. Louis has changed twice now. It was built as the Kiel Center, then changed to Savvis Center and now Scottrade Center.

Side note: the arena with the worst name currently, in my opinion, is the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville. However, it is only a couple of years old and it is a beautiful arena. I was there for a Rush show in 2011 and the venue was great and the sound was excellent.

es156
12-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Also, the arena in Indianapolis that was built as the Conseco Fieldhouse has now changed to Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

PVH5150
12-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Portland: Rose Garden is now the Moda Center (whatever the hell Moda is)

Sacramento: Arco Arena is now Sleep Train Arena (aren't there like 5 Sleep Train venues?)

PVH5150
12-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Reading, PA: Sovereign Center is now Santander (SAAHN-TAAHN-DARE) Arena.

Reminds me of that asshole in WWE. FAAHN-DAAHN-GO.

ravenheart
12-29-2013, 09:31 AM
SAAHN-TAAHN-DARE

Is that how you say it there? (I'm actually surprised they have a US presence at all)

adamclark52
12-29-2013, 09:42 AM
The only one here recently was the HMV Apollo became the Eventim Apollo. Everyone just calls it Hammersmith Apollo. Apparently the HMV Ritz in Manchester just went back to being The Ritz.

At some point we'll have about six name changes at once, because O2 sponsor nearly every significant venue in London, and the venues owned by the same people in Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Leeds, Bristol and Sheffield.

The M.E.N. Arena in Manchester became the Phones 4u Arena recently.

I've wondered who, or what, O2 is?

Coma323
12-29-2013, 09:54 AM
I think it's some kind of telecommunications giant overseas.

Maideneer
12-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Is that how you say it there? (I'm actually surprised they have a US presence at all)

I have 2 Santander locations within 1/4 mile of me.

El Gordo
12-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Has it been that long?

Same here. It's the fucking SkyDome. Why couldn't they have just changed it to Rogers SkyDome? It's the perfect name for it.

Also, I still call it the Warehouse. Kool Haus is fucking dumb.

PVH5150
12-29-2013, 11:36 AM

The only reason I know it's pronounced that way is because they advertise heavily over here. Up until I heard the ads, I pronounced it as it was spelled. San-Tan-Der.

According to a quick search, Sovereign changed all bank & arena names to Santander to promote a more "global friendly" presence. The change officially took place on October 17th.

PVH5150
12-29-2013, 11:38 AM

In my workplace, it's an oxygen sensor. :)

ravenheart
12-29-2013, 12:35 PM
The only reason I know it's pronounced that way is because they advertise heavily over here. Up until I heard the ads, I pronounced it as it was spelled. San-Tan-Der.

According to a quick search, Sovereign changed all bank & arena names to Santander to promote a more "global friendly" presence. The change officially took place on October 17th.

It's actually pronounced San-tan-dare. They're Spanish. Seems like they're just taking over other nations' banks. Here they bought Abbey National.

ravenheart
12-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Cellphone network, basically.

IrritatedTrout
12-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Nissan Pavillion in DC became Jiffy Lube Live back in 2010. :lol:

And the amphitheater in Virginia Beach, VA used to be the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater and now it's Farm Bureau Live.

ravenheart
12-30-2013, 01:14 AM
Nissan Pavillion in DC became Jiffy Lube Live back in 2010. :lol:

Been there. It amuses me how America treats their amphitheatres like airports. "Hmm, which major city is it nearest to? Great, let's pretend that's where it is then." ;)

IrritatedTrout
12-30-2013, 05:29 AM
A few are better than others. With the one in Philly (Camden, NJ :lol:) at least you can see Philly across the river. The one in DC (Manassas, VA) is probably the furthest from the city center I've ever seen.

toolfansat
12-30-2013, 05:45 AM
The arena in Chicago is one of the few that hasn't changed. I think it has been the United Center since it was built in the 90's. Of course, United has plenty of cash to keep the naming rights.

I think the Staples Center in Los Angeles has been called that since at least 2000.

ravenheart
12-30-2013, 05:50 AM
A few are better than others. With the one in Philly (Camden, NJ :lol:) at least you can see Philly across the river. The one in DC (Manassas, VA) is probably the furthest from the city center I've ever seen.

Been there too, and yeah it's just "over there", haha. I even considered walking to it. The thing which amuses me most about Jiffy Lube Live is no one seems to be able to agree exactly which town it belongs to because it's literally in the middle of nowhere. Isn't the address Bristow? Even though it's nowhere near there either?

Sanitarium78
12-30-2013, 07:30 AM
The amphitheater here, the Darien Lake PAC is in the middle of nowhere to. It's about a half hour outside of Buffalo. Some of the bands who've played there don't even seem to know what city they're in. Most just call it Buffalo since we're the closest major city but there are a lot of people from Rochester who make the short trip to see a show to. I remember seeing Scorpions there years ago and they didn't know where they were. Klaus just addressed the crowd by calling us "New York state" instead of a specific city:lol:

A few other bands I've seen have mentioned that this really wasn't Buffalo or Rochester but the middle of nowhere and they had no clue where they were. It doesn't help that the city of the venue has been changed around through the years. At first it's location was Corfu, NY then it was Darien, NY and now it's Darien Center, NY. Hard to know where you're playing when the venue doesn't even know what it's address is supposed to be.

DisposableJustice
12-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Our Amphitheater in Denver started out as Fiddlers Green, in 2006 or so it changed to Coors Amphitheater which isn't a horrible name. But in 2009 or so it changed again to Comfort Dental Amphitheater which when you are going to a metal show makes it sound wimpy "Hey tomorrow I get to see Slayer and Slipknot! Where at? Comfort Dental.....herp a derp..." Thank God the naming rights ran out and for now it is back to Fiddlers Green (by the way, insult to injury CD put up these banners which hurt hard: "Rocking Smiles!"

Pepsi Center our sports arena isn't a bad name, I saw Metallica twice there; Our Stadium is now Sports Authority Field, before that it was Invesco Field at Mile High; we just call it Mile High Stadium

Other than that the other venues here have basic names: The Filmore, The Odgen, Summit Music Hall, and the Gothic

ravenheart
12-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Klaus just addressed the crowd by calling us "New York state" instead of a specific city:lol:

At least that shows he actually tried to work out where he was. Some people would just have called you "USA" or "America" ;)

marker
12-30-2013, 10:28 AM
I think the Staples Center in Los Angeles has been called that since at least 2000.

Correct, same name since it's opening in October, 1999.

Coma323
12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
It amuses me how America treats their amphitheatres like airports. "Hmm, which major city is it nearest to? Great, let's pretend that's where it is then." ;)
Haha, pretty much.

Our Amphitheater in Denver started out as Fiddlers Green, in 2006 or so it changed to Coors Amphitheater which isn't a horrible name. But in 2009 or so it changed again to Comfort Dental Amphitheater which when you are going to a metal show makes it sound wimpy "Hey tomorrow I get to see Slayer and Slipknot! Where at? Comfort Dental.....herp a derp..." Thank God the naming rights ran out and for now it is back to Fiddlers Green (by the way, insult to injury CD put up these banners which hurt hard: "Rocking Smiles!"

Pepsi Center our sports arena isn't a bad name, I saw Metallica twice there; Our Stadium is now Sports Authority Field, before that it was Invesco Field at Mile High; we just call it Mile High Stadium

Other than that the other venues here have basic names: The Filmore, The Odgen, Summit Music Hall, and the Gothic
I know it's not in Denver but you also got Red Rocks, which is the coolest amphitheater I've ever been too...

PVH5150
12-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Been there. It amuses me how America treats their amphitheaters like airports. "Hmm, which major city is it nearest to? Great, let's pretend that's where it is then." ;)

Drives me up a wall.

When Maiden was here last year, every time Bruce yelled "SCREAM FOR ME BOSTON!", I couldn't help but repeat in my head, ".....we're fucking closer to Providence than we are Boston."

And I literally lol'ed when Sabbath announced their US dates for last summer and listed the Gorge as being in Seattle.

DisposableJustice
12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Haha, pretty much.

I know it's not in Denver but you also got Red Rocks, which is the coolest amphitheater I've ever been too...

very true; my first job was working food service at Red Rocks I had a blast and got to see some cool stuff

John The Drummer
12-31-2013, 12:29 PM
The few times I've been to the White River Ampitheater (Auburn, WA, about an hour from Seattle) I found it funny when the bands would call it Seattle.... but when I saw THIS I nearly smashed my head through my desk.... it's not even close! I feel bad for the guy who was driving around Seattle looking for a place called "The Gorge".

And I literally lol'ed when Sabbath announced their US dates for last summer and listed the Gorge as being in Seattle.

PVH5150
12-31-2013, 03:04 PM
Phoenix, Arizona.

Desert Sky Pavilion is now the AK-Chin Pavilion.

Um, what? Is that like a Russian-Chinese merger?

PVH5150
01-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Greenville, SC.

Bi-Lo Center is now the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.

PVH5150
02-05-2014, 08:06 PM
New Orleans Arena, out.

In.....Smoothie King Center.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/231826/Pelicans-Agree-To-10-Year-$40M-Deal-To-Name-Arena-Smoothie-King-Center

DisposableJustice
02-05-2014, 10:42 PM
New Orleans Arena, out.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/231826/Pelicans-Agree-To-10-Year-$40M-Deal-To-Name-Arena-Smoothie-King-Center

God such a metal name!

"Hey Metallica is coming to New Orleans!"

"Sweet where at?"

"Smoothie King!"

"......."

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

swboyd
02-06-2014, 06:24 AM
God such a metal name!

"Hey Metallica is coming to New Orleans!"

"Sweet where at?"

"Smoothie King!"

"......."

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Smoothie King is pretty sweet.

IrritatedTrout
02-06-2014, 03:13 PM
New Orleans Arena, out.

I would love to go to a show there. Smoothies.:rocker:

AnthG
06-19-2014, 05:20 AM
The Annex Wreckroom in Toronto is now called the Coda. Or Koda. I've seen both spellings used.

adamclark52
06-19-2014, 07:27 AM
The Annex Wreckroom in Toronto is now called the Coda. Or Koda. I've seen both spellings used.

I was wondering what the hell Coda was and where it came from...that name sucks.

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-19-2014, 07:51 AM
The Lakewood Amphitheatre here has changed it's name countless of times. It was first Lakewood Amphitheatre, then the Coca-Cola Lakewood Amphitheatre, then back to Lakewood Amphitheatre, then HiFi Buys Amphitheatre, then back to Lakewood Amphitheatre again, and now it's Aaron's Amphitheatre at Lakewood. I will always call it Lakewood Amphitheatre.

More recently The Roxy here has changed it's name to the Buckhead Theatre, but I'll always call it The Roxy, because that's a cooler name.