PDA

View Full Version : Chimaira / iwrestledabearonce / Oceano / Fit For An Autopsy / Reflections

detuned
11-27-2013, 07:01 AM
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1461874_10152021776999820_614495610_n.jpg

Chimaira turned fifteen this August, and the only appropriate way to "Celebrate the Chaos" is to hit the road!

Take a trip through the entire catalog with us and rediscover old favorites in the new era of domination!

Rise up! The time has come...

dates thus far: (http://www.theprp.com/2013/11/27/news/more-dates-slip-out-for-rumored-chimaira-iwrestledabearonce-oceano-fit-for-an-autopsy-etc-tour/)

02/01 Poughkeepsie, NY – The Chance
02/05 Pittsburgh, PA – The Altar Bar
02/07 Jacksonville, NC – Hooligans
02/17 Broussard, LA – The Station Live
02/22 Louisville, KY – Diamond Pub & Billiards

Ommie
11-27-2013, 07:35 AM
"We're Washed Up As Fuck" Tour

detuned
11-27-2013, 07:46 AM
The "iwrestledabearonce / Oceano / Fit For An Autopsy / Reflections" Tour to everyone under the age of 20

anomynous
11-27-2013, 07:54 AM
barf

dcmetal108
11-27-2013, 08:12 AM
If this comes to Chicago I'll go for Oceano and IWABO. *come at me bros*

hellawaits77ny
11-27-2013, 08:21 AM
If this comes to Chicago I'll go for Oceano and IWABO. *come at me bros*

I disagree with your like for those bands, but I give you credit for being a fan of such a large range of metal subgenres.

mastodon421
11-27-2013, 08:56 AM
The "iwrestledabearonce / Oceano / Fit For An Autopsy / Reflections" Tour to everyone under the age of 20

:lol: so true.

dcmetal108
11-27-2013, 09:06 AM
I disagree with your like for those bands, but I give you credit for being a fan of such a large range of metal subgenres.

Thanks haha, funny thing is is that I've started growing apart from liking the bands as much I use to. The new IWABO left no impression on me and I felt the new Oceano was bland. Still fun to see live though.

kalfitegrdan
11-27-2013, 11:18 AM
If this comes to Chicago I'll go for Fit for an Autopsy. *come at me bros*

John The Drummer
11-27-2013, 11:54 AM
The next Slayer :rocker:

W0unds
11-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Sad to see how far Chimaira has fallen.

I wouldn't mind seeing Chimaira and maybe Fit For An Autopsy but no way would I sit through all these other awful bands.

AnthG
11-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Sad to see how far Chimaira has fallen.

...Because the support bands aren't big names or because they're shitty? Or both?

mankvill
11-27-2013, 01:11 PM
praying for some bus flips on this tour

dcmetal108
11-27-2013, 01:16 PM

lol. Oceanos won't flip but if its anything similar to the Bleeding Through tour they will have like 4 bus breakdowns then have to cancel the last week.

Also were Chimaira really ever big?

PVH5150
11-27-2013, 01:17 PM
This has Palladium Upstairs written all over it.

illuminatus917
11-27-2013, 01:20 PM

That only happens to good bands. Like Baroness and Metallica. And Willie Nelson a few days ago.

detuned
11-27-2013, 01:30 PM
This has Palladium Upstairs written all over it.
3rd mass date in under 12 months wouldnt be very wise

im going to guess such fine establishments as evolution nightclub or toads place, or whatever the current metal shithole in providence is

maaaybe higher ground, there was a few years there where that was the only new england venue they would play on headlining tours

Also were Chimaira really ever big?
not really. first two albums eventually cracked 100,000 each, but the whole roadrunner dustup really killed any momentum they had.

mankvill
11-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Oceano

4 breakdowns

sounds about right

W0unds
11-27-2013, 02:36 PM
...Because the support bands aren't big names or because they're shitty? Or both?

Both. I do enjoy older Chimaira releases quite a bit however their last few releases have been disappointing. I think it was sort of inevitable for Chimaira to go downhill due to the massive lineup changes (Mark Hunter is the only remaining original member).

AnthG
11-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Both. I do enjoy older Chimaira releases quite a bit however their last few releases have been disappointing. I think it was sort of inevitable for Chimaira to go downhill due to the massive lineup changes (Mark Hunter is the only remaining original member).

By "They're shitty" I meant the support bands, not Chimaira.

not really. first two albums eventually cracked 100,000 each, but the whole roadrunner dustup really killed any momentum they had.

Even after the Roadrunner years they were still gaining a bit of steam with Resurrection. They were getting big tours like Ozzfest, Sounds of the Underground, Mayhem, and that one tour they did with Disturbed where they were playing arenas. I think the last 2 were on the Infection cycle. And when they were headlining during the Resurrection era they were playing to crowds of about 600-700. Then they had those lineup issues and people seemed to stop caring all at the same time.

detuned
11-27-2013, 07:30 PM
ozzfest was while they were still on roadrunner. resurrection certainly put them back on an upward trajectory, but ferret didnt have the means to get them where roadrunner could and should have. the back to back of disturbed and mayhem tours made it seem like they maybe were finally going to break to that next level they had been hovering under for so long, but then of course ferret went under and the lineup completely changed. and i assure you they never were drawing 600-700 headlining on any regularity outside of cleveland.

edit: in america i mean, they always did much better in europe. also, pretty sure their management had something to do with sounds of the underground, hence how they got on it twice. and that second time was when it was scaled back to large clubs/theaters, and chim was still billed under gwar and shadows fall.

AnthG
11-28-2013, 04:13 AM
and i assure you they never were drawing 600-700 headlining on any regularity outside of cleveland.

The headlining tour in 2007 they did with Kataklysm and Terror mostly filled the Opera House in Toronto, which hold just under 800. They played the same venue 3 years later though and it was less than half of that.

detuned
11-28-2013, 04:36 AM
and toronto is the 4th biggest city in north america. probably didnt hurt katakylsm were on the bill either. im sure they pulled numbers like those at least a handful of times in the biggest markets, but yeah like i said, not with any regularity. even hometown cleveland wasnt a sure thing, i went out for 3 christmas shows in a row during arguably their peak years (2004-2006), and while they were great turnouts, they certainly were far from packed.

AnthG
11-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Aren't those Christmas shows always at the House of Blues? That places holds 1,200 people if Wikipedia is correct, not exactly a small number.

detuned
11-28-2013, 06:37 AM
first year i went was the agora, which at that point was the biggest christmas show they had done. googles claims 1800 cap, not sure if that includes the side room or what, but all i know is its definitely bigger than the HOB, and it definitely wasnt sold out. the next year they went smaller with the odeon (supposedly 850 cap) but over 2 nights. both nights were pretty well filled, but i dont believe sold out either. then the last time i went was the first year they played house of blues, which yes almost all have been at since, except this year which is back to the agora.

SIDE FUN FACTS: phil demmel from machine head flew out for the 2004 and 2005 shows. the 2005 shows the band vowed to not repeat a single song over the two nights, which aside from power trip, they stuck to. even busted out pantera's walk. probably the best times ive ever seen them. those were also kevin talley's last shows with the band, and andols was in attendance.

seems kinda funny to sit here and actually correct how big they werent, which is not to try to discredit them or anything, its just i saw so much of this all first hand, and it just still frustrates me to this day that they couldnt get to that next level, while so many of their inferior peers did. fucking killed me to see shitheads like trivium and all that remains go from opening for chimaira to headlining over them in the span of a couple of years.

another side note, that actually reminds me of the time when chimaira actually co-headlined a euro tour with killswitch, and shadows fall and god forbid opening haha.

Steev
11-28-2013, 07:22 AM
first year i went was the agora, which at that point was the biggest christmas show they had done. googles claims 1800 cap, not sure if that includes the side room or what, but all i know is its definitely bigger than the HOB, and it definitely wasnt sold out. the next year they went smaller with the odeon (supposedly 850 cap) but over 2 nights. both nights were pretty well filled, but i dont believe sold out either. then the last time i went was the first year they played house of blues, which yes almost all have been at since, except this year which is back to the agora.

SIDE FUN FACTS: phil demmel from machine head flew out for the 2004 and 2005 shows. the 2005 shows the band vowed to not repeat a single song over the two nights, which aside from power trip, they stuck to. even busted out pantera's walk. probably the best times ive ever seen them. those were also kevin talley's last shows with the band, and andols was in attendance.

seems kinda funny to sit here and actually correct how big they werent, which is not to try to discredit them or anything, its just i saw so much of this all first hand, and it just still frustrates me to this day that they couldnt get to that next level, while so many of their inferior peers did. fucking killed me to see shitheads like trivium and all that remains go from opening for chimaira to headlining over them in the span of a couple of years.

another side note, that actually reminds me of the time when chimaira actually co-headlined a euro tour with killswitch, and shadows fall and god forbid opening haha.

Keep in mind Chimaira also did a Euro tour opening for Spineshank and Ill Niņo

AnthG
11-28-2013, 10:20 AM
It does suck that Chimaira has definitely fallen the hardest of all of the early-mid 2000s NWOAHM bands or whatever. Even Unearth and Shadows Fall, two bands who you look at and go "Man, they were on the up and up and now they've kind of gone backwards popularity wise" haven't fallen nearly as hard as Chimaira.

kalfitegrdan
11-28-2013, 10:27 AM
sounds about right

:LOLFC:

Steev
11-28-2013, 10:49 AM
I saw Shadows Fall and God Forbid together this year and there were very few people, even less when I saw Sworn Enemy

For whatever reason people aren't going out and seeing these bands anymore

Dextrimental
11-28-2013, 12:38 PM
These guys, Unearth and Shadows Fall - I wonder how they can still be able to afford doing this. Shadows Fall haven't been in Europe properly in years, Unearth are just putting out album after album with no traction and Chimaira are trying to claim some of the deathcore fanbase. I think it'd actually serve them better to quit for a while, and see about a reunion tour in 5 - 10 years. worked for Suffocation, Sacred Reich, Testament amongst others.

Steev
11-28-2013, 03:04 PM
These guys, Unearth and Shadows Fall - I wonder how they can still be able to afford doing this. Shadows Fall haven't been in Europe properly in years, Unearth are just putting out album after album with no traction and Chimaira are trying to claim some of the deathcore fanbase. I think it'd actually serve them better to quit for a while, and see about a reunion tour in 5 - 10 years. worked for Suffocation, Sacred Reich, Testament amongst others.

I'm worried about Shadows Fall, they're on their 3rd bassist since the last record came out. Brian lives in St. Louis, and Jon is in Anthrax now. Plus Jason is doing alot of stuff.

Dextrimental
11-28-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm worried about Shadows Fall, they're on their 3rd bassist since the last record came out. Brian lives in St. Louis, and Jon is in Anthrax now. Plus Jason is doing alot of stuff.

That's the thing, there's more money for the musicians in lessons/clinics/session playing than there is in sticking to one project. It sucks being at that stage where only the BIG bands from the era of music you grew up with are able to keep it up, and the rest fall by the wayside.

kalfitegrdan
11-28-2013, 07:25 PM
I saw Shadows Fall and God Forbid together this year and there were very few people, even less when I saw Sworn Enemy

For whatever reason people aren't going out and seeing these bands anymore

Man, yeah, I saw Sworn Enemy a few months ago in a sports bar in the suburbs with maybe, MAYBE a hundred people there.

Steev
11-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Man, yeah, I saw Sworn Enemy a few months ago in a sports bar in the suburbs with maybe, MAYBE a hundred people there.

I saw them in a bar in NJ, if I had to guess I'd say less than 10 people if you don't count the other bands and crew

AnthG
11-29-2013, 08:35 AM
It's also kind of lame that they're celebrating being a band for 15 years even though everyone else except Mark Hunter has been in the band for like 2 years. I know they're referring to the music of Chimaira and not necessarily the members themselves but still.

anomynous
11-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Who's their bassist now? I know that Paul wasn't playing and they had some other guy, but even then they never officially said anything about it.

Steev
11-29-2013, 09:51 AM
It's also kind of lame that they're celebrating being a band for 15 years even though everyone else except Mark Hunter has been in the band for like 2 years. I know they're referring to the music of Chimaira and not necessarily the members themselves but still.

Keep in mind Mark was the only one there the whole time from their most well known lineup
-Andols left between 03-06, and joined over a year after they formed
-Matt joined after Pass Out Of Existence was released
-Jim wasnt there until 2 years after the band formed
-Chris also didn't join until 2000
-Rob didn't come in until a year after they formed

I mean when you break down he many records each one did(post Roadrunner signing) you also see that every record had atleast 3 members on it from the previous release. It wasnt like Mark hired a new band then made Crown of Phantoms. Hell Emil had played with the band on and off since the mid-late 2000's for various reasons.

Honestly I just think there's a ceiling for those NWOAHM bands, just like the thrash bands before them. They have a dedicated fanbase but they flourish more when it's riding high as a trend. Look at deathcore, that's already declining.

Steev
11-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Who's their bassist now? I know that Paul wasn't playing and they had some other guy, but even then they never officially said anything about it.

They had Ed Lanoutte from Dark Day Sunday for 2012, then randomly this year he was replaced by Mike Turbayne from Kobra Kai on bass now. I didn't know until I saw them. Not to mention they've done alot of shows without Jon Donais when he's been touring with Anthrax.

detuned
11-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Keep in mind Mark was the only one there the whole time from their most well known lineup
-Andols left between 03-06, and joined over a year after they formed
-Matt joined after Pass Out Of Existence was released
-Jim wasnt there until 2 years after the band formed
-Chris also didn't join until 2000
-Rob didn't come in until a year after they formed

I mean when you break down he many records each one did(post Roadrunner signing) you also see that every record had atleast 3 members on it from the previous release. It wasnt like Mark hired a new band then made Crown of Phantoms. Hell Emil had played with the band on and off since the mid-late 2000's for various reasons.

rob joined 4 months after the band started, and he brought andols in shortly thereafter, both before the band even played a show. and i guess if im gonna get that technical, jim was more like a year and a half. before joining in nov 2010, emil only did a single partial tour filling in for matt on guitar in 2009, and then the first 2 or 3 shows on bass for the trivium tour later that year, so not exactly mid-2000s.

not sure how you are working this "at least 3 members" logic, and those early early lineup changes are pretty irrelevant. with the exceptions of hager and talley and the first EP, essentially the same core of musicians recorded and performed the vast majority of the bands output, but most importantly, mark and/or rob wrote like 99% of everything. which is why i had no problem with age of hell, as they both were still there, and ben has been so heavily involved all along that him playing drums made sense (besides, being a modern metal producer, what we heard on drums was probably largely shaped by him anyways. not to mention, mark and rob always had a heavy hand in the drum parts). crown though really is a different band. even though i think they did a pretty good job making a "chimaira" album, its very tough to think of them as chimaira without at least rob.

AnthG
11-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Outside of Mark, Crown of Phantoms didn't have any musicians from the Age of Hell, unless you count Emil's guest solo on Samsara (which I don't). Even then that's only 2. The people who played on Age of Hell were Mark, Rob (who handled the Bass guitar) Matt (I'm not sure if he recorded anything on the album, i'll have to check the liner notes), and Ben Schigel their producer recorded the drums. They didn't get Emil, Austin, and Sean Z in the touring lineup until after the album was finished, and then Rob and Matt announced they were leaving in the middle of the US tour run.

Steev
11-29-2013, 12:44 PM
As far as the 3 member thing I look at it this way, as far as members to albums:
Mark-7 albums
Rob-6 albums
Chris-5 albums
Jim-5 albums
Matt-5 albums
Andols-4 albums
Emil-2 albums
Austin-2 albums
Sean-2 albums
Kevin-1 album
Matt-1 album
Jeremy-1 album

Didn't know Emil, Austin, and Sean didn't record Age of Hell, seems weird, especially when Emil played bass for them in 2010

detuned
11-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Matt (I'm not sure if he recorded anything on the album, i'll have to check the liner notes)
yep, didnt play on it, nor wrote anything

AnthG
11-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Didn't know Emil, Austin, and Sean didn't record Age of Hell, seems weird, especially when Emil played bass for them in 2010

Nah the album was already finished before they joined the band. Chris, Andols, and obviously Jim had already left at that point, and they just didn't announce it until the album was already done I think. I remember they did a webcast announcement/Q&A with fans with Matt, Mark, and Rob where they talked about the changes and announced the new touring lineup. And I remember seeing Rob and Matt very unenthusiastic throughout it.

Steev
11-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Nah the album was already finished before they joined the band. Chris, Andols, and obviously Jim had already left at that point, and they just didn't announce it until the album was already done I think. I remember they did a webcast announcement/Q&A with fans with Matt, Mark, and Rob where they talked about the changes and announced the new touring lineup. And I remember seeing Rob and Matt very unenthusiastic throughout it.

Rob didn't want to tour anymore, I don't know about Matt because now he's in Fear Factory(and also briefly filled in for Unearth and Lamb of God)

AnthG
11-29-2013, 04:21 PM
The thing with Rob was that he initially left Chimaira for Six Feet Under and toured with them for a bit. I think it was after that tour or whatever he announced he wasn't going to tour anymore.

PVH5150
12-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Jan. 30 - Worcester, MA (Palladium Upstairs)
Jan. 31 - Wilmington, DE (Mojo 13)
Feb. 1 - Poughkeepsie, NY (Chance)
Feb. 4 - Amityville, NY (Revolution)
Feb. 5 - Pittsburgh, PA (Altar Bar)
Feb. 6 - Reading, PA (Reverb)
Feb. 7 - Jacksonville, NC (Hooligan's)
Feb. 8 - Fayetteville, NC (Drunk Horse Pub)
Feb. 9 - Charlotte, NC (Casbah @ Tremont Music Hall)
Feb. 11 - Knoxville, TN (NV Nightclub)
Feb. 12 - Atlanta, GA (Masquerade)
Feb. 14 - Saint Petersburg, FL (State Theater)
Feb. 15 - Pensacola, FL (Vinyl Music Hall)
Feb. 17 - Broussard, LA (Station)
Feb. 18 - Shreveport, LA (Riverside Warehouse)
Feb. 21 - Kokomo, IN (Center Stage)
Feb. 22 - Louisville, KY (Diamond Pub & Billiards)
Feb. 23 - Newport, KY (Thompson House)

Steev
12-02-2013, 02:14 PM
So two shows close-ish to Philly, and fuck yeah because Mojo 13 is super tiny

detuned
12-03-2013, 06:07 AM
well at least this time at the palladium its not a monday night and there isnt 10 locals supporting