PDA

View Full Version : Metallica to tour Europe in 2014

DisposableJustice
11-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Shocking right?

But this year has an awesome twist if they follow through with it:

After spending the better part of the last couple of years making our film Through The Never, we are so ready to make another album... it's been far too long! And when we're locked away in the studio, history has dictated that we always need that inspirational break to soak up all the great live Metalli-energy that you guys bring to the gigs. So as we may have done once or twice before (!!), we will be hitting the road this summer, but not just for another "European vacation"... we've added a twist - YOU PICK THE SET LIST!!

As we embark on two short treks through Europe, we're going to give you, the ticket holders, the chance to vote on what songs you would like to hear at the show(s) that you attend. It will be pretty simple... pick up your ticket(s) online and you'll receive an e-mail shortly after with a code and a link to a site on which you may cast your ballot. We normally play around 18 songs a night, and since we didn't want to be left out of the fun, the band also gets to vote . . . and we vote for a NEW SONG! That leaves the other 17 slots for you to choose, so vote for all your favorites from the close to 140 songs we've recorded in our career and to make it more fun along the way, you'll be able to follow what you and your fellow fans are selecting by watching the site for continuous results.

In true Metallica fashion, we don't have all the shows ready for you just yet, but here are a few dates to get you started:

June 4, 2014 - Imtech Arena, Sonisphere - Hamburg, Germany, tickets on sale November 29 at 11:00 AM local time
June 5-8, 2014 - Rock Am Ring - Nürburgring, Germany, tickets on sale November 27 at 9:00 AM local time
June 6-9, 2014 - Rock Im Park - Nürnberg, Germany, tickets on sale November 27 at 9:00 AM local time

Tickets will be available at www.eventim.de.

Keep watching here for additions to the schedule and other updates next week as we gear up for 2014!

So for anyone who sees them in 2014, you know what to do: vote the shit out of Frayed Ends, 'cause that is the only way they will play it at this point

hellawaits77ny
11-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Lucky ducks in Europe. But they deserve it.

toolfansat
11-26-2013, 11:15 AM
It would be pretty damn funny if as a joke, everyone voted for all songs on St. Anger!

detuned
11-26-2013, 11:38 AM
shame that this probably will still result in a pretty standard metallica set

Dextrimental
11-26-2013, 11:45 AM
shame that this probably will still result in a pretty standard metallica set

Avenged Sevenfold tried this, and while the majority of the set was relatively standard, some complete rarities made their way in. Metallica will be the same, hopefully.

At least it shows the band are willing to practice every song in their catalog. I will pay for this if it comes to Dublin. The gimmick has worked :lol:

Christen
11-26-2013, 12:31 PM
A North American tour at some point would be nice.

Steev
11-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Avenged Sevenfold tried this, and while the majority of the set was relatively standard, some complete rarities made their way in. Metallica will be the same, hopefully.

At least it shows the band are willing to practice every song in their catalog. I will pay for this if it comes to Dublin. The gimmick has worked :lol:

I remember that, at one point I went on A7X's Facebook and just put "stop you fucking idiots, they play these songs every time"

Always get whiny people complaining that they've never seen them

Jochen
11-26-2013, 12:42 PM
A North American tour at some point would be nice.

Not in this lifetime.

hellawaits77ny
11-26-2013, 12:59 PM
They sell more tix in Europe, plain and simple. And European metalheads aren't corpses like NA metalheads are. Much more fun for metal bands to play Europe than NA.

detuned
11-26-2013, 01:11 PM
They sell more tix in Europe, plain and simple

if thats the case, i would wager its not because of the lack of sales in NA, but simply because of the sheer size of the festivals in europe and how condensed everything is over there. easier for them (any bands really) to zip over there for a week or two and play to the amount of people it would take a month or two to do over here. i dont even know if there is anywhere in NA that can realistically handle hundreds of thousands of people without being a complete nightmare.

JRA
11-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Not in this lifetime.

Lifetime? There's no way Metallica have been relegated to "can only tour Europe" status.

Sanitarium78
11-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Lifetime? There's no way Metallica have been relegated to "can only tour Europe" status.

Exactly. I've seen them six times since 1992 and each time they've drawn great crowds. Metallica is just one of those bands that can get people to come see them no matter where they play.

ravenheart
11-26-2013, 01:45 PM
That's one of the headliners for Sonisphere UK next week then.

How predictable.

PVH5150
11-26-2013, 02:20 PM
i dont even know if there is anywhere in NA that can realistically handle hundreds of thousands of people without being a complete nightmare.

Football stadiums are the closest thing, and Metallica has played them at least 3 times in North America. Monsters of Rock, Summer Sanitarium & Madly In Anger. Gillette Stadium holds 67,000 people and it took me 3 hours to get out of the parking lot when ACDC was there in 2009. That's enough of a nightmare for me. But, to their credit, Metallica is probably the only other hard rock/metal band that could do that.

detuned
11-26-2013, 02:28 PM
very well aware of that rainman, i was at both summer sanitariums at foxboro (madly in anger was at the garden)

67,000 =/= hundreds of thousands

edit: actually looking at the supposed capacities of the announced shows, they are not up in the hundreds of thousands like i assumed, and are comparable to our biggest football stadiums. point is, metallica selling more in europe probably has more to do with the geography and infrastructure and not because the dont have the fan base in america.

Jochen
11-26-2013, 02:30 PM

I know, I'm just exaggerating. It just seems like so long ago that they toured here.

Dextrimental
11-26-2013, 02:45 PM
I know, I'm just exaggerating. It just seems like so long ago that they toured here.

3 years ago on the Death Magnetic tour, then the big 4 shows. Metallica does the rounds internationally regularly enough, pretty much the only thing that's infallible about them is that they are relentless in their touring schedule.

PVH5150
11-26-2013, 03:01 PM
3 years ago on the Death Magnetic tour

4 to 5 years ago.

First NA leg: 10/17/08 through 2/1/09.
Last NA leg: 9/11/09 through 12/12/09.

Jochen
11-26-2013, 04:37 PM
4 to 5 years ago.

First NA leg: 10/17/08 through 2/1/09.
Last NA leg: 9/11/09 through 12/12/09.

The last time I saw them was on the first leg (1/12/09) and at the end of the show Lars said something like "Well, I hope we don't wait another four and a half years to come back!" or something like that. I guess he wanted to wait longer.

AnthG
11-26-2013, 04:57 PM
None of these shows, or if i'm not mistaken any of their Escape from the studio tours over the last 7-8 years, have been mostly festivals no? It'd be a whole other level of lameness if these were full tours with 2-3 support bands and they were just playing arenas or something, and not doing it in North America.

IrritatedTrout
11-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Another full NA tour really is overdue.

ravenheart
11-27-2013, 03:29 AM
None of these shows, or if i'm not mistaken any of their Escape from the studio tours over the last 7-8 years, have been mostly festivals no? It'd be a whole other level of lameness if these were full tours with 2-3 support bands and they were just playing arenas or something, and not doing it in North America.

It'll be a short, mostly festival run. Don't worry.

toolfansat
11-27-2013, 03:44 AM
Gillette Stadium holds 67,000 people and it took me 3 hours to get out of the parking lot when ACDC was there in 2009.

WHY would you park in the "official" lots there? That place is insane for parking! I always park in one of the private lots on the street. Sure you have to hoof it a little but I'm home before the lot people have even had to start their cars!

DisposableJustice
12-03-2013, 10:35 PM
some more dates

June 9, 2014 - Pinkpop Festival - Landgraaf, Netherlands, tickets on sale March 15, 2014
July 3, 2014 - Rock Werchter - Werchter, Belgium, tickets on sale December 7 at 2:00 PM local time
July 6, 2014 - Sonisphere Knebworth - Stevenage, England, co-headlining the 3-day festival with Iron Maiden, tickets on sale December 2 at 5:30 PM local time
July 8, 2014 - Aerodrome Festival - Prague, Czech Republic, tickets on sale December 5 at 9:00 AM local time, Met Club presale available (see details below)
July 9, 2014 - Krieau Rocks - Vienna, Austria, tickets on sale December 5 at 9:00 AM local time, Met Club presale available (see details below)

MPF
12-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Who didn't see this coming a mile away, eh folks?

http://www.metallicabyrequest.com/results.php?s=61

IrritatedTrout
12-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Idiots.

ravenheart
12-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Austria and the Czech Republic know what's up though.

http://www.metallicabyrequest.com/results.php?s=63
http://www.metallicabyrequest.com/results.php?s=62

TonyD
12-04-2013, 05:02 PM
What the fuck is up with all those load songs? And Knebworth is pretty weak considering how "stock" the set is other than Orion.

mankvill
12-04-2013, 05:11 PM
why are places other than Ireland voting for Whiskey In The Jar?

PVH5150
12-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Any setlist with Frayed Ends, Outlaw Torn & Unforgiven II wins.

kalfitegrdan
12-04-2013, 10:40 PM
That Czech set is hilarious. Enter Sandman isn't even in the top 30 and I love that. :lol:

ravenheart
12-05-2013, 02:22 AM
That Czech set is hilarious. Enter Sandman isn't even in the top 30 and I love that. :lol:

I know, right? I'd totally go to see that set.

kalfitegrdan
12-05-2013, 02:47 AM
I know, right? I'd totally go to see that set.

Frayed Ends of Sanity and Orion? Sign me up.

hellawaits77ny
12-05-2013, 04:11 AM
Fuck yeah, Czech Republic does indeed know what's up. Vienne looks somewhat normal, though.

hellawaits77ny
12-05-2013, 04:12 AM
Jesus, the casual fans even in Europe suck.

MPF
12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Austria and the Czech Republic know what's up though.

http://www.metallicabyrequest.com/results.php?s=63
http://www.metallicabyrequest.com/results.php?s=62

Both sets have drastically changed since yesterday... :confused::confused::confused:

Maideneer
12-05-2013, 09:41 AM
What the fuck is up with all those load songs? And Knebworth is pretty weak considering how "stock" the set is other than Orion.

Because Load is amazing, ditto Reload.

The moment I see an announcement this band is playing either or both of these records in full is when I'll be booking my plane ticket to said city.

Steev
12-05-2013, 09:50 AM
A UK publication listed their top 10 choices, I was happy to see "Wasting Hate", I love that song

But seriously, I think the voting should be like fan club only next time, and hope they have better thoughts than the idiots picking the same shit they always do

ravenheart
12-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Both sets have drastically changed since yesterday... :confused::confused::confused:

Holy shit yeah... Austria is the same old boring shit on both now...

Prague still looks good, but some standards have crept in.

Fix? Or maybe it was just the ones really keen to get something different who bought tickets and voted quickly and now all the sheep are getting involved.

ravenheart
12-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Fuck yeah, Czech Republic does indeed know what's up. Vienne looks somewhat normal, though.

It wasn't when I posted. It was crazy rare stuff like the Prague one.

hellawaits77ny
12-05-2013, 12:00 PM
It wasn't when I posted. It was crazy rare stuff like the Prague one.

They're changing quickly. And for the worse. As good as Prague looked this AM, it's already transformed to a greatest hits set.

Maideneer
12-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Let's sum up as of the moment;

Hamburg is a complete disaster. Not one song currently in the running is remotely rare at this point nor are the top 15-20 runner ups. All hope is lost.

Nurnberg isn't much better, in fact it's pretty much the same.

Nurburgring and Basel ditto.

Right now, Knebworth at least has Four Horsemen, which is ok, but it's like winning $5 at the slots when you've put in $10.

Prague is kicking the most ass. Frayed Ends, Outlaw Torn, Dyers, To Live Is To Die, and with a push, Fixxxer & Bleeding Me can make it.

Vienna has gone from first to worst. What the hell?!

Warsaw is now in 2nd place...Frayed Ends, Ktulu, Outlaw, - Human, Dyers, To Live..., Fixxxer, Bleeding Me, and some decent runner-ups. Actually, this might be better than Prague right now.

Maideneer
12-05-2013, 08:55 PM
I just thought of the hysterical possibilities if Mustaine offered this same plan up.

Have Cool, Will Travel
All the "Christian" songs
Something stupid off Risk like I'll Be There

Crap like that would be fun.

DisposableJustice
12-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Setting: Metallica HQ in San Francisco area

Lars walks into a room with a computer

Lars: Well let's see what the fans want so far...

*clicks Knebworth* "hey cool they're picking our hits this should be a breeze to reherse"

*clicks Prague* "...... (Frayed, Dyers, Bleeding Me, Fixxxer).....where the fuck is Sandman.....I need that to heat my pool....*has a stoke*....calm down Lars you can think of something....*thinks*....aha!....*pulls out credit card*....this will show those fuckers"

300%_Density
12-05-2013, 09:48 PM
And I was hoping (ok not realistically) I might actually hear them do Crash Course In Brain Surgery. They've only done this once so I didn't really expect it.

There's actually a lot off the Garage Days I'd so love to hear.

hellawaits77ny
12-06-2013, 05:23 AM
As expected, these are all turning into greatest hits-type sets. Not going to change, especially since these sales so far are all from Clubbers! The only rare song I see have an even remote chance of being played is St Anger, as it's on several lists, and the public sale has begun for at least one of those shows it's in the top 18 of. I like the tune, but of all the rare songs, people are choosing that one? There are SO many better choices.

Sanitarium78
12-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Some of those sets started off pretty good. I can't believe people still want to hear Nothing Else Matters. Maybe they're voting for it so they can have a piss break? As overplayed as Creeping Death is, it should still be in every set. How can you go to a Metallica show and not want to hear that song?

detuned
12-06-2013, 07:40 AM
nothing else matters should never be played live. EVER. it getting edged out is really the only thing id want to see out of any of these setlists.

Sanitarium78
12-06-2013, 10:02 AM
nothing else matters should never be played live. EVER. it getting edged out is really the only thing id want to see out of any of these setlists.

Agreed.

I don't know how it is in other cities but the last few times I've seen them, NEM got a nothing reaction from the crowd. Not too many were singing along and it just got some polite applause of recognition from the audience and that was it. The crowd's attitude was more or less just "Oh well, I guess we have to sit through this one again".

MPF
12-07-2013, 10:52 AM
All the sets suck now :(

AnthG
12-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Agreed.

I don't know how it is in other cities but the last few times I've seen them, NEM got a nothing reaction from the crowd. Not too many were singing along and it just got some polite applause of recognition from the audience and that was it. The crowd's attitude was more or less just "Oh well, I guess we have to sit through this one again".

When I saw them it was one of the biggest reactions of the night. Same with Enter Sandman. People were singing along loud to NEM and lighters/cell phones were a plenty.

El Gordo
12-07-2013, 11:08 AM
When I saw them it was one of the biggest reactions of the night. Same with Enter Sandman. People were singing along loud to NEM and lighters/cell phones were a plenty.

Yeah, this is true unfortunately. Who the fuck is voting for Whiskey in the Jar? At least Frayed Ends is still on the Prague list.

300%_Density
12-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Yeah, this is true unfortunately. Who the fuck is voting for Whiskey in the Jar? At least Frayed Ends is still on the Prague list.

Whiskey might not be a lot of people's favorite but atleast it's something they don't play all the time which I was hoping would happen more frequently than it has.

El Gordo
12-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Whiskey might not be a lot of people's favorite but atleast it's something they don't play all the time which I was hoping would happen more frequently than it has.

Fair enough. I'd rather Whiskey over Sandman or NEM or Sad But True... but if I'm picking songs off of Garage Inc., Disc One, Whiskey is the second-to-last song I want to hear (guess which is first?). Give me the MF Medley, Sabbra Cadabra, Astronomy or It's Electric.

Wait, did I say second-to-last? On second though, make it third. If I ever hear Tuesday's Gone at a Metallica concert I'll take a dump on the person standing beside me.

300%_Density
12-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Fair enough. I'd rather Whiskey over Sandman or NEM or Sad But True... but if I'm picking songs off of Garage Inc., Disc One, Whiskey is the second-to-last song I want to hear (guess which is first?). Give me the MF Medley, Sabbra Cadabra, Astronomy or It's Electric.

Wait, did I say second-to-last? On second though, make it third. If I ever hear Tuesday's Gone at a Metallica concert I'll take a dump on the person standing beside me.

Garage Inc. was the album that I was really really hoping would be better represented than what it was. I would just like to hear them cover more than Am I Evil, Die Die My Darling or any other covers that they normally do/used to regularly do. I love Garage Inc. and would like to see it better represented than what it is/will be. Plus I would take the worst song off Garage Inc. before I'd wanna deal w/ Sandman or NEM.

AnthG
12-07-2013, 04:35 PM
For those complaining about Enter Sandman, NEM, and even master of puppets being voted for, Karma's gonna kick you in the balls and give you a set full of Load/Reload material.

John The Drummer
12-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I saw St. Anger on one of the sets :)
Good job. :)

hellawaits77ny
12-07-2013, 05:12 PM
a set full of Load/Reload material.

Would be ok with me. We've all seen Sandman, Sad, NEM enough.

El Gordo
12-07-2013, 05:13 PM
For those complaining about Enter Sandman, NEM, and even master of puppets being voted for, Karma's gonna kick you in the balls and give you a set full of Load/Reload material.

Yeah, I would actually be OK with that at this point.

Maideneer
12-07-2013, 07:27 PM

Good, it's the best records they have.

detuned
12-07-2013, 07:48 PM
mark another with being AOK with a heavy load/reload set. many rad songs on those.

(SEE WHAT I DID THERE?LOLOL)

El Gordo
12-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Let's not get nuts here... If Metallica's discography could be reduced to only one album, it would have to be Ride the Lightning. Any other answer is folly. I'd love to hear more from the Load albums though because they never did much from them and frankly, they'd probably play them closer to the truth than they do the old classics.

Maideneer
12-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Well that's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

ravenheart
12-08-2013, 02:38 AM

I wish.

JRA
12-08-2013, 08:05 AM
I am both annoyed and spitefully satisfied this turned out the same way as when Motley Crue did it.

Maideneer
12-08-2013, 08:17 AM
This is such a disaster. I always thought the maniacal fans in Europe were far smarter than this, I thought wrong or this thing is fixed. Who on god's green earth still wants to see Enter Sandman or NEM or most of the black album really?

I'd like to see this tried in South America to see what a difference it would make. I still think of S.A. as the last bastion for real 'metal is my religion' type of people by the exorbitant masses. If it doesn't work there, then humanity has been lost.

Steev
12-08-2013, 08:18 AM
I am both annoyed and spitefully satisfied this turned out the same way as when Motley Crue did it.

It happens with every band, people are morons

when A7X did it I wanted to murder most of their retard fanbase, you always would get someone bitching and moaning because they never saw them, nevermind the fact that between their last 2 records(at the time) they had done atleast 7 tours

Dextrimental
12-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Was discussing festivals last night over drinks with friends, and we were talking about this. Gamble has paid off for Metallica, they'll only need to learn maybe ten older songs for this entire tour. They know how mindless their own audience is.

mr. roti
12-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Holy shit! Those set list are awesome. I'm going to do a tour of all those gigs in europe next summer..... something I would never say. People did actually vote for St-Anger?? Unbelievable! I knew Metallica fanbase nowaday was full of douchebag posers but St-Anger!!! Really?

JRA
12-08-2013, 09:26 AM
It happens with every band, people are morons

when A7X did it I wanted to murder most of their retard fanbase, you always would get someone bitching and moaning because they never saw them, nevermind the fact that between their last 2 records(at the time) they had done atleast 7 tours

Well with A7X you were just setting yourself up for failure there broseph.

IrritatedTrout
12-08-2013, 10:47 AM
This is such a disaster. I always thought the maniacal fans in Europe were far smarter than this, I thought wrong or this thing is fixed. Who on god's green earth still wants to see Enter Sandman or NEM or most of the black album really?

I'd like to see this tried in South America to see what a difference it would make. I still think of S.A. as the last bastion for real 'metal is my religion' type of people by the exorbitant masses. If it doesn't work there, then humanity has been lost.

I bet the results would be the same in South America because I'd imagine there is a larger percentage of people down there who have never seen the band before and want to hear the hits than in Europe.

Dextrimental
12-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I bet the results would be the same in South America because I'd imagine there is a larger percentage of people down there who have never seen the band before and want to hear the hits than in Europe.

This. Why are you surprised at this? Metallica are one of the biggest rock/metal bands of all time, as such, their fans range from the very young to the old, and from the totally casual to the absolutely dedicated. As a result, you have people voting whose only gig basically ever is when Metallica roll around, so they vote for the really well known songs to finally see them, you have the kids who want to make sure they see Sandman and NEM for the first time, and you have the fans who feel those songs should be on the setlist, that it wouldn't be a Metallica show without it.

The old guard/die hards are just grossly outnumbered here.

IrritatedTrout
12-08-2013, 01:45 PM
It is certainly a waste of a good opportunity here though. You know Metallica will play hits when they inevitably tour Europe in 2015, why do they need to be played when you can hear anything in 2014?

Even if you've never seen Metallica before, people should stop and think about the fact that Puppets, Sandman, One, etc will be played the next time they see them.:tp: But they're not that bright.

AnthG
12-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Would be ok with me. We've all seen Sandman, Sad, NEM enough.

Yeah, I would actually be OK with that at this point.

mark another with being AOK with a heavy load/reload set. many rad songs on those.

(SEE WHAT I DID THERE?LOLOL)

I wish.

...Jesus christ. I know music is all a matter of opinion and whatever floats their boat and stuff, but what the hell is wrong with you people?

PVH5150
12-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I don't agree with Load & Reload being the their best records, but if it meant hearing Outlaw Torn, Ronnie and Ain't My Bitch, I'd gladly sacrifice Sandman & Matters.

hellawaits77ny
12-08-2013, 04:02 PM
...Jesus christ. I know music is all a matter of opinion and whatever floats their boat and stuff, but what the hell is wrong with you people?

I enjoy listening to Load and Reload. Apparently I have "something wrong with me".

Fucking elitist. Kill yourself.

ravenheart
12-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Is the fact that all of these pro-Load period views are collected in the same place what's bringing it home to you that there are a lot of people who actually like those albums? (Load more than ReLoad in basically all cases, of course) It's not news to the rest of us, so I'm just wondering why the surprise?

mankvill
12-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Although Fuel is one of my favorite Metallica songs, I'd rather hear more from St. Anger than from ReLoad.

Maideneer
12-08-2013, 04:54 PM

Nothing wrong with me. Just ordering the other stuff off the menu.

hellawaits77ny
12-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Although Fuel is one of my favorite Metallica songs, I'd rather hear more from St. Anger than from ReLoad.

St Anger has some poop, but there some tunes on there I really like.

El Gordo
12-08-2013, 05:52 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Metallica can't play their old stuff for shit anymore so I'd rather hear them play stuff that they're not going to butcher. I also like both Load and ReLoad, so hearing some of those tracks live would be cool.

PowerMaiden
12-08-2013, 06:55 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Metallica can't play their old stuff for shit anymore

this

Cheers
PowerMaiden

DisposableJustice
12-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Load has a good amount of songs I would love to hear live

- Ain't my Bitch
- 2X4
- King Nothing
- Bleeding Me
- Wasting my Hate
- Ronnie
- The Outlaw Torn

Reload, not so much and I've heard Fuel and Memory

- Devil's Due

Steev
12-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Back in 09 they'd end the show with a couple seconds of "Wasting Hate", total tease

Christen
12-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Back in 09 they'd end the show with a couple seconds of "Wasting Hate", total tease

Kinda like when I saw them last year and they closed with the intro of Frayed Ends of Sanity.

DisposableJustice
12-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I just noticed Poland is voting for 3 instrumentals...now that would be interesting, I'm sure James would love the vocal break

Sanitarium78
12-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Load has a good amount of songs I would love to hear live

- Ain't my Bitch
- King Nothing
- Bleeding Me
- Wasting my Hate
-

I've seen them do these live. Except for King Nothing you're not missing anything. Just because it would be different for them to play these songs doesn't mean it's a good thing if they did.

I must be one of the few who thinks Reload is the far superior album. Load was quite the disappointment when it came out and I always felt Reload had the better collection of tunes. Fuel, Memory, Devil's Dance, Unforgiven II, Carpe Diem, Wild Thing's, Prince Charming, Low Man's Lyric and Fixxxer are all better than the garbage the gave us on Load. Load only has maybe 5 songs that are decent enough to listen to with any regularity. Most of the album is Metallica trying to be different and experimental and it just doen't work. Reload was definitely the more solid effort.

AnthG
12-08-2013, 08:31 PM
I enjoy listening to Load and Reload. Apparently I have "something wrong with me".

Fucking elitist. Kill yourself.

Saying something sucks makes me an elitist? We have a lot of elitists on this message board then.

And I think you guys are just seeing the Load/Reload stuff in a positive light because the majority of those albums are rarely played, leading to the perception that the more exposed something is, the less good it is. I'd honestly rather hear Enter Sandman for the 40,000th time than anything off of Load or Reload just because it's a better song, no matter how overplayed it is. And to the person who said "they just butcher their old stuff anyway", but sometimes a good song that is butchered is still better than a bad song that's no further butchered than it originally was.

ravenheart
12-09-2013, 03:49 AM
And I think you guys are just seeing the Load/Reload stuff in a positive light because the majority of those albums are rarely played, leading to the perception that the more exposed something is, the less good it is.

Not at all. I've always listened to 'Load' more than any other Metallica album. I bought all of them except 'Kill 'em All' more or less around the same time and while I wouldn't say Lord is better than Puppets or Ride, I do enjoy listening to it more. Always have.

detuned
12-09-2013, 04:02 AM
I must be one of the few who thinks Reload is the far superior album. Load was quite the disappointment when it came out and I always felt Reload had the better collection of tunes. Fuel, Memory, Devil's Dance, Unforgiven II, Carpe Diem, Wild Thing's, Prince Charming, Low Man's Lyric and Fixxxer are all better than the garbage the gave us on Load. Load only has maybe 5 songs that are decent enough to listen to with any regularity. Most of the album is Metallica trying to be different and experimental and it just doen't work. Reload was definitely the more solid effort.
reload definitely is far superior, even with the inclusion of goddamn unforgiven II. both are bloated as fuck though.

dont think load is any more experimental than reload, its just they were more successful in those experiments on reload. i.e. mama said is shit, low mans lyric great

often wonder how much different the perception of that era would be if they went for quality over quantity and only released one album of the 10 best songs.

ravenheart
12-09-2013, 04:58 AM
Load > ReLoad.

I like both, but Ain't My Bitch, King Nothing, Hero of The Day, Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn, Cure, Wasting My Hate and Ronnie are better than everything on ReLoad apart from Devil's Dance, Fixxxer and Low Man's Lyric.

There's still plenty on ReLoad I like though. I often put those two discs on shuffle.

detuned
12-09-2013, 06:42 AM
personal favorites: where the wild things are, low mans lyric, the outlaw torn, fixxer

best singles: bleeding me, memory remains

complete garbage: hero of the day, mama said, unforgiven II

rest range from indifference to solid

regardless of the quality of the loads overall, the best thing about them is they are the logical natural progression for the band at that point. age appropriate. unforced, unlike st anger, and to a lesser extent death magnetic.

MPF
12-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Load > ReLoad.

I like both, but Ain't My Bitch, King Nothing, Hero of The Day, Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn, Cure, Wasting My Hate and Ronnie are better than everything on ReLoad apart from Devil's Dance, Fixxxer and Low Man's Lyric.

There's still plenty on ReLoad I like though. I often put those two discs on shuffle.

Agreed on all counts.

hellawaits77ny
12-09-2013, 09:02 AM
regardless of the quality of the loads overall, the best thing about them is they are the logical natural progression for the band at that point. age appropriate. unforced, unlike st anger, and to a lesser extent death magnetic.

Great points. I've said this before, and stand by it: Load is my 3rd favorite Metallica album after MOP and RTL, and probably in my top 15-20 of all time. Bleeding Me is a masterpiece, and it's filled with songs that don't break any barriers but are simply great to my ears.

DisposableJustice
12-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Dates in South America added

http://www.metallica.com/news/metallica-by-request-south-america.asp

Maideneer
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM
I smell complete BS with these set lists. How is it feasible that every single city on this tour has chosen the same damn top 15-20 songs with a couple of alterations here and there? Nothing Else Matters and Sad But True and Enter Sandman in EVERY SINGLE CITY?! I think it was me who mentioned something about South America earlier in this thread, and I have no other choice but to conclude that this By Request garbage is not based in reality. Who on this planet is really going to request all these standard jukebox tunes for the 5 bajillionth time?

detuned
01-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Who on this planet is really going to request all these standard jukebox tunes for the 5 bajillionth time?
the average metallica fan? hits are hits for a reason, so it shouldnt be a surprise that these sets are largely hits, especially 3 of their biggest. for every person that would rather stick pencils in their ears than hear those 3 songs again for the bajilitionth time, there are probably another 100 who would be stoked as fuck.

besides, their catalog is fucking gigantic. 75% of the people could be voting with absolutely nothing but deep cuts, but with little overlap, so all it takes is for the majority of the remaining 25% to vote for the hits to get them included.

Maideneer
01-02-2014, 01:18 PM
The catalog really isn't that gigantic.

Overkill, Megadeth, Maiden, Helloween all have bigger discographies of original studio albums. Hell even In Flames has way more albums released then Metallica, and Met has an 11 year head start. Pantera for god's sakes has released the same amount of albums as Metallica, and it's been 14 years since the last Pantera record.

I repeat, the Met catalog is not gigantic at all when you think about it. Forget the silly cover songs and records and EP's and singles and all that crap. Metallica has 9 studio albums for a grand total of 95 songs...a 20 song setlist every night is a fifth of their entire original release history, it really isn't all that difficult to switch it up.

detuned
01-02-2014, 01:28 PM
lol

mankvill
01-02-2014, 01:38 PM
The catalog really isn't that gigantic.

Overkill, Megadeth, Maiden, Helloween all have bigger discographies of original studio albums. Hell even In Flames has way more albums released then Metallica, and Met has an 11 year head start. Pantera for god's sakes has released the same amount of albums as Metallica, and it's been 14 years since the last Pantera record.

I repeat, the Met catalog is not gigantic at all when you think about it. Forget the silly cover songs and records and EP's and singles and all that crap. Metallica has 9 studio albums for a grand total of 95 songs...a 20 song setlist every night is a fifth of their entire original release history, it really isn't all that difficult to switch it up.

You aren't thinking like a typical South American Metallica fan. Or a typical eastern European Metallica fan. To them, the be all end all of heavy metal is probably Metallica and Iron Maiden, so of course they're going to want to hear the hits.

Maideneer
01-02-2014, 01:59 PM
You aren't thinking like a typical South American Metallica fan. Or a typical eastern European Metallica fan. To them, the be all end all of heavy metal is probably Metallica and Iron Maiden, so of course they're going to want to hear the hits.

See, I thought the exact opposite. I genuinely thought that these fan bases are made up of the most pedal to the metal, balls to the wall, hardcore f'ing maniacs who really don't wanna hear Nothing Else Matters at a show again.

For a typical American audience yes, I get it...everyone wants the Wonder Bread, Coca-Cola, Ford, General Electric, brand brand brand, hits hits hits all day long.

TonyD
01-02-2014, 02:12 PM
I don't think anyone is voting for the "stock" set list all together, but everybody is probably voting for at least a few staples and those are the ones that overlap and will end up in the top 15 or so. I would not be the least bit surprised if they did this in America and the sets looked similar.
But I am disappointed that St. Anger is slipping into sets ahead of songs like Battery, Blackened and Ride the Lightning.

Nater
01-02-2014, 03:42 PM
I don't think anyone is voting for the "stock" set list all together, but everybody is probably voting for at least a few staples and those are the ones that overlap and will end up in the top 15 or so. I would not be the least bit surprised if they did this in America and the sets looked similar.
But I am disappointed that St. Anger is slipping into sets ahead of songs like Battery, Blackened and Ride the Lightning.

I think people just see that song and think "man that song hasn't been played in so long" and vote

MetalIsArt
01-03-2014, 04:29 AM
I'm not seeing them on this tour, despite being quite the fan. ;)

Still nothing from Load. They shouldn't have done this @ festivals.

hellawaits77ny
01-03-2014, 05:13 AM
Still nothing from Load. They shouldn't have done this @ festivals.

I think they did this knowing that with a festival type crowd, they'd probably weasel out of playing anything rare.

MetalIsArt
01-03-2014, 05:22 AM
I think they did this knowing that with a festival type crowd, they'd probably weasel out of playing anything rare.

The only good things I see are the inclusion of Frayed Ends Of Sanity & ...and justice for all on some dates. (in the first case, only one)

DisposableJustice
03-03-2014, 03:05 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1/1982155_10151946354675264_1901934900_n.jpg

We're bringing "Metallica By Request" north in August to play the HEAVY MONTRÉAL festival alongside a bunch of great bands including our friends in Slayer band, Lamb of God, Anthrax, Exodus and Apocalyptica! Weekend passes go on sale on Friday, March 7th at noon and attendees will by able to vote on the setlist.

Visit HEAVYMONTREAL.COM to get more info on gig! #HeavyMontreal2014