PDA

View Full Version : Slayer -- Silver Spring, MD -- November 19th, 2013

jhdeity
11-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Show of the year. My entire body hurts. A virtual drum cliniic from start to finish. The Old School Slayer setlist was incredible. Perfect openers for a Slayer show. I have a whole new respect for Gary Holt and Paul Bostaph. Mario Duplantier is one of the 5 best drummers to ever sit behind a kit. The Fillmore has a mind-blowing sound system especially compared to Rams Head Live which blows goats. That about sums it up!

4arm

While I Lie Awake
Raise A Fist
The Oppressed
Dying Time
I Will Not Bow
Spent and Bled

Gojira

Explosia
The Axe
Backbone
The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
Flying Whales
L'Enfant Sauvage
Toxic Garbage Island
Vacuity

Slayer

Hell Awaits
The Antichrist
Necrophiliac
Mandatory Suicide
Captor of Sin
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Altar of Sacrifice
Jesus Saves
At Dawn They Sleep
Die by the Sword
Spirit in Black
Hallowed Point
Seasons in the Abyss
Strike of the Beast!!!
Dead Skin Mask
Raining Blood
Black Magic
South of Heaven
Angel of Death

JRA
11-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Man, all they need to do is replace Dead Skin Mask with Crionics/Face The Slayer/Fight Til Death/Tormentor/Kill Again/Crypts of Eternity/Chemical Warfare and that set would be perfect.

Side note: I picked up Retaliation a couple of weeks ago and it is the fucking jam.

PowerMaiden
11-20-2013, 04:40 PM
awesome !

seeing this saturday.

and I agree with your songs replacements choices JRA except I would do it for Mandatory Suicide or Captor Of Sin not Dead Skin Mask ...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
11-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Captor Of Sin

You're insane, Captor Of Sin rules! I can understand people getting tired of Mandatory Suicide but no fuckin way should Captor of Sin leave.

TheNobleFaceHumper
11-20-2013, 04:45 PM
all they need to do is replace Dead Skin Mask

No.

hellawaits77ny
11-20-2013, 05:11 PM
No.

Yes.

I like the song, but wouldn't be heartbroken in the least to see it axed. I love Tom's intro, but they play this every night, and there are many rare old tunes I'd rather hear.

Sepultura69
11-20-2013, 05:23 PM
So I take it they're going to be sticking to this as the official setlist for the remainder of the tour. Weird, I wonder why our "sold out" show got shafted with a completely different(and somewhat lackluster) set. No complaints, but I kind of feel fucked over. You would think that they would make our show a little special considering the fact that the show was sold out. :hmm:

Still, no complaints from me. Especially since I already saw this setlist the night before. And the show wasn't even close to half packed. :D :cool:

hellawaits77ny
11-20-2013, 05:33 PM
So I take it they're going to be sticking to this as the official setlist for the remainder of the tour. Weird, I wonder why our "sold out" show got shafted with a completely different(and somewhat lackluster) set. No complaints, but I kind of feel fucked over. You would think that they would make our show a little special considering the fact that the show was sold out. :hmm:

Still, no complaints from me. Especially since I already saw this setlist the night before. And the show wasn't even close to half packed. :D :cool:

HMM that is strange. Maybe early in the tour they wanted to gauge the crowd reaction between the "old school" set vs a "normal" set.

Bit OT, but Kerry King was on Stone Cold Steve Austin's podcast. I'd like to be in a conversation with those 2! Lol I remember in the late 90's - early 00's when King would wear Austin shirts on stage. Always thought that was cool. Even in my old age I break out some Austin shirts occasionally!

Sepultura69
11-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Even in my old age I break out some Austin shirts occasionally!

I still have my Stone Cold "What?" shirt. Only Stone Cold shirt that I still have. I remember I purchased it at a "Raw is War" event back in early 2000. It was also the first time they debuted the shirt before Austin started wearing it all the time. :lol:

jhdeity
11-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Man, all they need to do is replace Dead Skin Mask with Crionics/Face The Slayer/Fight Til Death/Tormentor/Kill Again/Crypts of Eternity/Chemical Warfare and that set would be perfect.

Side note: I picked up Retaliation a couple of weeks ago and it is the fucking jam.

Yeah I'll never tire of Carnivore. My buddy asked me what that Crush Kill Destroy song was he heard over my house and I thought he was frucking with me. I burned him a Carnivore cd and he hasn't stopped talking about them since.

To be honest I'm not a fan of Dead Skin Mask at all but for some reason it was fucking bad ass last night. I usually use that time to go piss and get a drink but it kept my undivided attention for some reason. Maybe it was the timing of it and I was knda on fumes by then. That being said Kill Again or Fight Til Death would have thrown me back into apeshit mode so I agree with ya.

Seasons is unfuckingreal live. That song gets better with every listen and live it just goes to a whole nother level.

Also I won't spoil the surprise but the final backdrop if you haven't heard or seen is the coolest shit EVER!

JRA
11-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Yeah I'll never tire of Carnivore. My buddy asked me what that Crush Kill Destroy song was he heard over my house and I thought he was frucking with me. I burned him a Carnivore cd and he hasn't stopped talking about them since.

To be honest I'm not a fan of Dead Skin Mask at all but for some reason it was fucking bad ass last night. I usually use that time to go piss and get a drink but it kept my undivided attention for some reason. Maybe it was the timing of it and I was knda on fumes by then. That being said Kill Again or Fight Til Death would have thrown me back into apeshit mode so I agree with ya.

Seasons is unfuckingreal live. That song gets better with every listen and live it just goes to a whole nother level.

Also I won't spoil the surprise but the final backdrop if you haven't heard or seen is the coolest shit EVER!

The only thing that sucks is only Retaliation seems to be in print to buy whereas the s/t just doesn't show up on amazon. I had to blogspot it in order to get it. and I LOVE the s/t much more.

I saw a similar thing happen with Coroner. Punishment For Decadence I was able to buy but No More Color was also out of print. and of course, I love No More Color a million times more.

I'm still kind of pissed the time I saw them do the whole Seasons In The Abyss album live and when they got to that song they completely changed the solos. :mad:

jhdeity
11-20-2013, 09:07 PM
The only thing that sucks is only Retaliation seems to be in print to buy whereas the s/t just doesn't show up on amazon. I had to blogspot it in order to get it. and I LOVE the s/t much more.

I saw a similar thing happen with Coroner. Punishment For Decadence I was able to buy but No More Color was also out of print. and of course, I love No More Color a million times more.

I'm still kind of pissed the time I saw them do the whole Seasons In The Abyss album live and when they got to that song they completely changed the solos. :mad:

Yeah I had the Retaliation/Carnivore dual cd before I bought both Remasters off ebay. The bonus tracks were ok but I was just glad to have all the tracks again.

That's crazy they changed the solosin Seasons. I was on Holt's side and he sounded amazing but he may have done a few solos throughout the night that I thought were King's. Never understood why they would do that

The Ghost at Number One
11-21-2013, 01:31 AM
No.Agreed. Dead Skin Mask is fucking awesome.

Wrecking Crew
11-21-2013, 01:19 PM

100% agree, Dead Skin Mask needs to go and more Show No Mercy stuff needs to be played.

John The Drummer
11-21-2013, 01:24 PM
They need to bring back their cover of Witching Hour :)

jhdeity
11-22-2013, 09:44 AM
They need to bring back their cover of Witching Hour :)

This! and Show No Mercy...

mankvill
11-22-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm glad I got to see Slayer do Show No Mercy :D

Sepultura69
11-22-2013, 09:48 AM
How was the turn out? Pretty packed? Just wanna get a good idea at how much love Point Five=layer has been getting, especially with this particular line up.

jhdeity
11-22-2013, 09:59 AM
How was the turn out? Pretty packed? Just wanna get a good idea at how much love Point Five=layer has been getting, especially with this particular line up.

When 4arm played it looked like 100 people and less then 1/3rd of the floor was covered. By the time Gojira broked into Flying Whales it was wall to wall people and hot as fuck! I don't care if it's -10 degrees out, I'll never wear anything but a short sleeved shirt to any show.

I was sweating like a whore in church...

Sepultura69
11-22-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't care if it's -10 degrees out, I'll never wear anything but a short sleeved shirt to any show.

I was sweating like a whore in church...

ahahhaha tell me about it, when I saw them this year in October I made the horrible mistake of wearing a long sleeve buttoned up shirt. I took that damn shirt off about mid-way into the set sometime during "Alter of sacrifice/jesus saves". I was DRENCHED IN SWEAT. After that mess, I decided to wear a sleeveless white wife beater for the second show which took place the night after(Slayer played two shows in a row at the same venue around my area in Hollywood. I attended both shows, but the first show was much much better because it had a shitty turn out making the show feel a lot more intimate, and we got the old school setlist). :hmm:

Glad you had a great time. :blaze:

jhdeity
11-22-2013, 03:12 PM
ahahhaha tell me about it, when I saw them this year in October I made the horrible mistake of wearing a long sleeve buttoned up shirt. I took that damn shirt off about mid-way into the set sometime during "Alter of sacrifice/jesus saves". I was DRENCHED IN SWEAT. After that mess, I decided to wear a sleeveless white wife beater for the second show which took place the night after(Slayer played two shows in a row at the same venue around my area in Hollywood. I attended both shows, but the first show was much much better because it had a shitty turn out making the show feel a lot more intimate, and we got the old school setlist). :hmm:

Glad you had a great time. :blaze:

That is the exact fucking time it hit me like a brick. Went apeshit during Postmorten and during the beginning of Altar I started sweating and couldn't escape the heat. Terrible timing but I recovered to full tenacity level just in time for Jesus Saves.

It literally felt like the temperature raised 20 degrees in 20 minutes then an additional degree every 5 minutes after that.

tenchimyo
12-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Was stuck in the back, but it was a great show. I missed nearly all of 4Arm, so I dunno how they were. Gojira was a bit disappointing

my thoughts (http://heavymetalcowboysteve.blogspot.com/2013/11/slayer-gojira-4arm-fillmore-silver.html)

jhdeity
12-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I watched Gojira from upstairs and it sounded perfect. Granted we were point blank by those huge speakers that hang up there. Plus I had the perfect vantage point to watch Mario destroy. Sure I would have loved to hear Ocean Planet and other songs people know but I knew what they were playing and they played it masterfully to me.

Another thing I learned from talking to a bartender, the Burger is by far the best food deal there. He was right. It was Nom-fucking-tacular!

tenchimyo
12-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Another thing I learned from talking to a bartender, the Burger is by far the best food deal there. He was right. It was Nom-fucking-tacular!
I will def take this into consideration if we have to eat here again. WE've tried the fries and the chicken in waffles- both decent but not amazing.

!!

jhdeity
12-11-2013, 09:17 AM
I will def take this into consideration if we have to eat here again. WE've tried the fries and the chicken in waffles- both decent but not amazing.

!!

Yeah the fries cost as much as the burger. WTF? hahaha

tenchimyo
12-12-2013, 06:43 AM
Yeah the fries cost as much as the burger. WTF? hahaha

yeah made me want to my fist, break down walls!