PDA

View Full Version : Metal Church tour?

PVH5150
11-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Pulled these from Songkick.

Feb. 22 - Oklahoma City, OK (Chameleon Room)
Feb. 26 - Chicago, IL (Reggie's)
Feb. 28 - Westland, MI (Token Lounge)
Mar. 7 - Pittsburgh, PA (Altar Bar)

RampinUp46
11-18-2013, 06:25 PM
February 20th in San Antonio at Backstage Live.

mankvill
11-18-2013, 07:21 PM

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

justinm4bama
11-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Oh fuck yes please! I bet this will skip the SE though. :tp:

ravenheart
11-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Feb 23. - Dallas, TX (Trees)
Mar. 8 - Springfield, VA (Empire)

Xander Demos Band opening in Pittsburgh.

kalfitegrdan
11-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Some band called Screamking is opening the Chicago date.

Spiner202
11-19-2013, 08:11 AM
March 1 and 2 at the Rockpile East and West (Toronto)

Sepultura69
11-19-2013, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this hits "The Observatory" in Santa ana. That venue has been on a role lately with booking awesome shows(eyehategod, high on fire, Orange Goblin, Neurosis, geto boys, Napalm Death & Cannibal Corpse, Saint Vitus, Death Angel, Om, Cro-Magz, shit the list goes on). :hmm:

aerodynamics
11-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Hopefully they bring it to the Northwest. I saw Metal Church at a small club in Coeur d'Alene ID back in '07 and they pretty much blew my face off.

justinm4bama
11-19-2013, 10:53 AM
So far the dates are:

Feb. 20 - San Antonio, TX (Backstage Live)
Feb. 23 - Dallas, TX (Trees)
Mar. 1 and 2 - Toronto, Can (Rockpile East and West)

ravenheart
11-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Feb. 21 - Houston, TX (Concert Pub North)
Feb. 25 - Indianapolis, IN (Headquarters)
Feb. 27 - Cudahy, WI (The Metal Grill)
Mar. 12 - Lakewood, CO (Eck's Saloon)

Forte opening in Oklahoma City.
Killzone opening in Indianapolis.
Conniption, Memories Within, and Forcefield open in Cudahy.

These seem like cheap shows to me. Just seen the promoters of the Wisconsin show saying tickets in advance will be $15.

ravenheart
11-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Feb. 15 - Costa Mesa, CA (Tiki Bar)
Feb. 16 - Los Angeles, CA (Whisky A Go-Go)
Feb. 18 - Tempe, AZ (Club Red)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Sweet. Never got to see Metal Church before. Though this is more of a Metal Church cover band than the real thing.

ravenheart
11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Though this is more of a Metal Church cover band than the real thing.

:tp:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-20-2013, 12:16 PM
:tp:
It's true.

ravenheart
11-20-2013, 01:07 PM
It's true.

Not only is it not true for this band, it's also not true for every other band people say the same thing about when they carry on without whichever member(s) it is everyone thinks is the most important.

The only time it is true is when there are no original members left at all. The rest of the time it's just everyone's favourite cliche.

Onioner
11-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Feb. 16 - Los Angeles, CA (Whisky A Go-Go)

BITCHES! :rocker:

Sweet. Never got to see Metal Church before. Though this is more of a Metal Church cover band than the real thing.

This lineup of Metal Church performs the old material phenomenally, and the Ronny Munroe-era albums are pretty solid all around- haven't heard the new one yet. Ronny can also sing the David Wayne-era material much better than Mike Howe ever could, and this is coming from a guy who considers Blessing in Disguise and The Human Factor to be among the finest classic metal albums ever made. Metal Church, or "Metal Church" if you so prefer, is a band absolutely worth seeing live.

Not only is it not true for this band, it's also not true for every other band people say the same thing about when they carry on without whichever member(s) it is everyone thinks is the most important.

The only time it is true is when there are no original members left at all. The rest of the time it's just everyone's favourite cliche.

I agree in the case of Metal Church- Kurdt wrote and continues to write 99% of the band's music and lyrics so as long he's involved in some way, the band's kosher to me.

However, I disagree with your one original member rule. When a band only has original members that weren't significant influences on the sound, either through songwriting or noteworthy performances, or are missing members that are irreplaceable for the same reasons, then I'd definitely call them a cover band. Diamond Head comes to mind; even though Brian Tatler's the primary songwriter for the band and still plays, Sean Harris' vocals aren't being adequately replaced by the current guy. Until they get Sean back or find a guy that can really do the material justice, the current incarnation of Diamond Head is a cover band to me.

justinm4bama
11-20-2013, 02:48 PM

Stratovarius :tongue:

ravenheart
11-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Stratovarius :tongue:

Indeed. When it gets to that point, they should just get a new name.

ravenheart
11-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Diamond Head comes to mind; even though Brian Tatler's the primary songwriter for the band and still plays, Sean Harris' vocals aren't being adequately replaced by the current guy. Until they get Sean back or find a guy that can really do the material justice, the current incarnation of Diamond Head is a cover band to me.

That doesn't make them a cover band. It just makes them Diamond Head that you no longer like. And I'm with you, I don't listen to their new stuff, or go see them, because I don't like how they sound.

Same as I don't go to (small-scale example, but relevant) The More I See concerts anymore, because they changed their singer and style and stopped playing thrash. They're still The More I See, they've just chosen to do something else and I don't like it.

Sepultura69
11-21-2013, 09:05 AM

Napalm Death. ;)

ravenheart
11-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Napalm Death. ;)

Great example; no one complains about them being a "cover band".

PVH5150
11-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Schedule so far. Their FB page also says more shows to come. Hoping for something here in that March 3rd thru 6th window. Middle East or Sinclair would be fucking clutch.

Feb. 16 - West Hollywood, CA (Whisky)
Feb. 27 - Cudahy, WI (Metal Grill)
Mar. 1 - Toronto, ON (Rockpile East)
Mar. 2 - Toronto, ON (Rockpile West)

Sepultura69
11-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Feb. 15 - Costa Mesa, CA (Tiki Bar):rocker: :cool:

ravenheart
11-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Hmm, all this said, the new Metal Church album really isn't all that good...

Onioner
11-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Hmm, all this said, the new Metal Church album really isn't all that good...

That's what I've read, and that's why I haven't picked it up myself yet. That's too bad considering how good A Light in the Dark is.

aerodynamics
11-22-2013, 02:46 PM
New album sounds pretty decent to me. You can stream the entire thing at the label's website...

http://www.ratpakrecordsamerica.com/metal-church

ravenheart
12-06-2013, 04:09 AM
Some new dates. One of which doesn't make sense.

Mar 04 - Brooklyn, NY (Saint Vitus)
Mar 06 - Austin, TX (George W. Carver Museum)
Mar 09 - Denver, CO (Jet Bar)

Not sure I believe they're going from New York all the way down to Texas, then back up to Pittsburgh the next day, having played in Texas in February.

Spiner202
12-06-2013, 05:24 AM
It sounds like they're having some border issues according to the Toronto promoter. No cancellation yet, as they're trying to work it out, but it would be unfortunate for it to be cancelled.

PVH5150
01-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Updated schedule.

Feb. 16 - West Hollywood, CA (Whisky A Go Go)
Feb. 27 - Cudahy, WI (Metal Grill)
Mar. 1 - Toronto, ON (Rockpile East)
Mar. 2 - Etobicoke, ON (Rockpile West)
Mar. 4 - Brooklyn, NY (Saint Vitus Bar)
Mar. 5 - Newcastle, DE (JB McGinnes Pub & Grill)
Mar. 6 - Amityville, NY (Revolution)
Mar. 7 - Pittsburgh, PA (Rex Theater)
Mar. 9 - Cleveland, OH (Agora Ballroom)
Mar. 14 - Las Vegas, NV (LVCS)
Mar. 16 - Concord, CA (Vinnie's Bar & Grill)

John The Drummer
01-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Hope they play Seattle some time. They were the first big band I ever saw (with Death Angel)... had no idea who they were, was only there for the locals.... but damn, such an amazing show!

Onioner
01-02-2014, 06:12 PM
The Whisky show may fall right in the middle of midterm season for me. I really really hope I can make it, they were outstanding last summer.

HackedUpForBBQ
01-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Front Gate Tickets, as well as the venue website, have Metal Church playing the Montage in Rochester NY on March 2nd but that's contrary to the former info of them playing Toronto that same night. I sure as hell hope they're playing Rochester, I'd love to finally see these guys

Montage Music Hall (http://www.themontagemusichall.com)
Front Gate Tickets (https://rochesterentertainment.frontgatetickets.com/event/ola33n63ygl5jsm4)

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 04:59 AM
Front Gate Tickets, as well as the venue website, have Metal Church playing the Montage in Rochester NY on March 2nd but that's contrary to the former info of them playing Toronto that same night. I sure as hell hope they're playing Rochester, I'd love to finally see these guys

Montage Music Hall (http://www.themontagemusichall.com)
Front Gate Tickets (https://rochesterentertainment.frontgatetickets.com/event/ola33n63ygl5jsm4)

I think the Toronto shows have been cancelled.

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Confirmed by the band, Toronto shows cancelled, replaced with shows in Fort Wayne and Rochester.

Extra shows are:

Feb. 14 - Orangevale, CA (The Boardwalk)
Mar. 1 - Fort Wayne, IN (Berlin Music)
Mar. 2 - Rochester, NY (Montage Music Hall)
Mar. 15 - Ramona, CA (Mainstage)

Newly confirmed supports:

Project Terror, Devilmaycare, and Immortal Guardian in San Antonio
Sunless Sky in Cleveland

Spiner202
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
This sucks :(