PDA

View Full Version : MPF's 2013 Music In Review

MPF
11-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Hey Guys!

This year has been a hellacious ride for me so far. One thing that has helped me through it all is all the music I have received this year. by the end of this thread I will have reviewed 388 albums (What the fuck is wrong with me for doing so many???)

It will be the same as past years except this year, I will be doing a top 50, instead of 20. And also any complaints about me not reviewing an album....please look back to the very first paragraph here and remember how many albums I am reviewing, it's over one a day for a year.

Later tonight, the fun will begin!

But until then here is my top 21 LEAST favorite albums that I posted in the 2013 Thread:

1.) Anthrax- Anthems
The covers just don't work for me. I've tried but it just feels bland and very forgettable.

2.) Avenged Sevenfold- Hail to The King
I don't hate it for the reasons most people give abut them ripping bands off. to me, I don't like the album because it is all at the same tempo with very little variation between the songs. Just one long mid tempo bore fest.

3.) Black Flag- What The...
Only a couple member of Black Flag are still in Black Flag, the good members are in Flag. This album feels tiresome. I'm wanting Flag to put out a album next year to show people how it's done.

4.) Blackfield- IV
It's not so much as it is bad as it is disappointing. It's not the same without Steven Wilson doing more then just guest singing on a couple songs.

5.) Bullet For My Valentine
Temper Temper- Just God Awful. Tears Don't fall Pt. 2? Seriously? I used to be a huge supporter of these guys. thank you for letting me down for so many years now. Enjoy touring with In This Moment, Halestorm, and other wretched bands.

6.) Dark Moor- Ars Musica
....The Fuck happened? They used to be the pinnical of Symphonic Power Metal. Now they are making cheesy Power Rock ala modern day Sonata Arctica. Its so sad.

7.) Doyle- Abominator
Total Pantera Ripoff with Doyle of the Misfits on vocals...no thanks...

8.) Dreariness- My Mind Is Too Weak To Forget
The In this Moment of Atmospheric Black Metal, except instead of In This Moment, the music is indeed stellar. But is absolutely ruined by the female vocal screams. They sound like labor pains. nobody wants that.

9.) Gatherer- Stuck Between A Rock and a Sad Place
Their last album was a fantastic album filled with variety and mashing of different music styles. This album is a Post Rockish Emo album with Post Hardcore vocals, again, no thanks.

10.) Huntress- Starbound Beast
Another example of a band who put out a killer first album and then start to suck. They will become the next In This Moment. The debut album is great and the decline will keep happening until they are making dubstep songs about being a whore.

11.) Kylesa- Ultraviolet
NO, it's not just because Laura Pleasants is a total bitch, but this album didn't do anything for me. Honestly the only album that held weight to me was Static Tensions, which is still a great album, but anything before or since just doesn't click....and Laura Pleasants is a total bitch.

12.) Megadeth- Super Collider
Risk II: Electric Boogaloo

13.) Brutal Truth/Bastard Noise- Axiom Of Post Humanity
I know this isn't in alphabetical order but I forgot this one. Pure utter Garbage! Merzbow is more listenable and compelling than this. I love Brutal Truth to death but what the fuck happened? the album is literally just noise, like listening to SYL's Info Dump on an infinite loop while mixing in Mike Patton's Adult Theme For Voices. Just god awful!

14.) Mutiny Within- Synchronicity
One of the biggest disappointments in my eyes. I love the first album to death and they were incredible when I saw them open for Sonata Arctica. This album just feels so bland and boring compared to the first album, and it breaks my heart. In speaking of that it feels like there is zero heart behind this album, that they just released it to put an end to the band. Honestly, I wish they had just kept it to the first album.

15.) Queens Of The Stone Age- ...Like Clockwork
I didn't say this quote but it fits perfect. "This is Josh Homme's attempt to be soft. And that is not his forte." One rocking song on the whole album, the rest is so subdue, it's boring. That's not what I want in a QOTSA album.

16.) Riverside- Shrine To The New Generation Slaves
They finally won me back with their last album, but this made me lost them again. Not much variation of even enjoyment in this album at all. Just the bland side of Prog that made me lost them in the first place. Sigh, oh well.

17.) Stone Sour- The House Of Gold And Bones Part 2
After redeeming themselves with Part 1, Part 2 falls short...VERY short. That is very disappointing to me because Part 1 is their best work to date and seeing them put out a substandard album is just sad. It's far from their worst, but overall it is disappointing.

18.) Suicidal Tendencies- 13
Stop...just stop!

19.) Voivod- Target Earth
They just aren't doing it for me anymore. Ever since the Self Titled album, its been a downhil slide for Voivod in my eyes, and it's not their fault, when you lose a main songwriter in your band, you are bound to have some kind of a change. I just wish it wasn't for the worst.

20.) Volbeat- Outlaw Gentlemen and Shady Ladies
The album should really be called One good song Featuring King Diamond and a bunch of shitty County Rock songs. again it's not JUST because Michael and Jon are the two biggest douchebags i ever encountered in my times of doing band interviews. It is because they are starting to suck. this album shows it with allt he Stell guitar and Country jargon. it sucks. Except the song with King Diamond, that is still good.

21.) 75-90% of all the Black Metal I received:

I love Black Metal to Death. Atmospheric Black Metal is my favorite form, amongst all the variations of Black Metal out there. But who decided that just because the early day Black Metal bands sounded like shit on recordings that has to be a standard to live up to in 2013? They could be good bands or solo projects, but NOOOOO! the production just kills it for me. The static, the horribly programmed drums, the vocals that actually deserve auto tune. ALL OF IT! There was still a ton of fantastic Black Metal that came out this year, but so much sucked just on production alone.

MPF
11-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Sorry guys, I had full intentions of starting this tonight, but I am having some problems tonight that make it impossible to do. I will try for Saturday night to get things rolling.

mankvill
11-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I really liked the new Kylesa

and what black metal did you hear you prog nerd >:I

MPF
11-14-2013, 08:03 PM
I really liked the new Kylesa

and what black metal did you hear you prog nerd >:I

Roughly 4 GBs worth.

I enjoy almost every genre, not just Prog. You K Pop Nerd

Datjazzfusion
11-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Are you okay?

Sepultura69
11-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Megadeth- Super Collider
Risk II: Electric Boogaloo

:lol:

John The Drummer
11-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Are you okay?

Sounds like he is back in the hospital and may have a blood issue that would involve him needing to take shots :(

jhdeity
11-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Well said on all accounts so far... The fact some people think Super Collider is good makes me want to projectile vomit

MPF
11-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Hey guys I am back, can't say for how long but I am back and I WILL get to this thread starting today sometime.

illuminatus917
11-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Hey guys I am back, can't say for how long but I am back and I WILL get to this thread starting today sometime.

Did you call Tom G. Warrior's ex-lover a cunt?

MPF
11-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Did you call Tom G. Warrior's ex-lover a cunt?

I may as well have, I was hospital stricken again for the 5th time in 3 months.

illuminatus917
11-24-2013, 07:25 AM
I may as well have, I was hospital stricken again for the 5th time in 3 months.

You have your own "get well thread" you know. We've been keeping tabs on you.

MPF
11-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Soryy I'm not used to people actually knowing/caring what I have been up to outside these threads.

And now the start of one of those threads!!!!

Same rules as all the other years. In case you don't know them. This is my list of all albums I have listened to this year. they will be reviewed in iTunes randomized order. they will be ranked out of 10. Since I couldn't make up my mind this year, I made a Top 50 this year instead of my usual 20. It only seemed fair because there were so many albums that came out this year that I personally felt deserved real recognition. I won't have the final stats of those 50 until these other albums are done. No EP's or bands I personally associate are included so avoid unfair judgement. So let's get started shall we?

1.) Death Angel- The Dream Calls For Blood

Death Angel nearly hit it out of the Park on this one. A much better representation of the band compared to their last album Relentless Retribution. No filler, all pure heavy kick ass Thrash. In a band like Death Angel, that's all I will ever ask for.

8/10

2.) Vista Chino- Peace

Kyuss Lives! Well...kinda. This is the remnants of Kyuss and Kyuss Lives! and it sounds just like vintage Kyuss. It honestly does show how unneeded Josh Homme was in Kyuss, despite what a talent he is. Garcia and Co. nailed it. The only downside to this album is the lack of people who don't know about it and probably never will. Kick back, light up your favorite hash and enjoy folks!

8/10

3.) Fullforce- Next Level

Fullforce is a Power Metal/Hard Rock/80's Glam style band that definitely know their nitch. If Manowar and Kix formed a band that loved cheese and Whitesnake is the best way I can describe these guys. Definitely a great album if you are into that style. Nothing new by any stretch of the imagination, but just a fun album to enjoy in the background of any 80's coke party.

6/10

4.) Blindead- Absence

If Katatonia made Atmospheric Post Rock/Metal. Blindead takes some of the ebst elements of the dark sounds of Metal with the Atmosphere of Post Rock and made an outer spacey sound that is fit for the disenchanted. While not the best Post album of the year, it's honestly not that far away. A great unknown album that you just may fall in love with if you're a fan of the genre.

9/10

5.) Wormed- Exodromos

The first album of the list to have screams and growls (that is a first on my list, usually it's always top 3). This is arguably one of the best damn Death Metal albums of the year. It is techy as all hell, well crafted and articulated and masterminded in one of the best ways I have ever heard. The nearly Instrumental track, Xenoverse Discharge should prove this point if you hate the vocals that are associated with the genre. This will sadly get overlooked by a lot of people. Get on this if you need some damn good techy Death Metal, you won't be disappointed.

9.5/10

6.) Iwrestledabearonce- Late For Nothing

For once an Iwrestledabearonce album that has zero points of sucking. Yes it still somewhat features their quirkiness. this album goes back to their debut which is also pretty good as well, just without so much humor and more focused on writing songs that are not for scene kids and actually for music fans. Who'd a thought? It's techy, Proggy, Jazzy, Quirky and sometimes Atmospheric, and overall just a fun album to listen to. Don't take yourself so seriously and just give this one a shot once, if you still hate it, at least you tried.

7/10

7.) Immolation- Kingdom of Conspiracy

Another damn fine example of Death Metal done right. Immolation is just a band that slays every single time and Kingdom of Conspiracy is no different. Every song is pummeling and relentless. Brutal and catchy at the same time, only a band like Immolation can pull that off without it being overbearing. Bravo!

9/10

8.) Persephone- Spiritual Madness

Well orchestrated Progressive Death Metal in a way that Djent bands should sound. This is not djenty by any means so don't read that wrong. I just mean so many bands want to focus on the off time breakdown instead of the Prog, and that's what these guys do. Elements of Melodeath, Tech Metal, and pure epicness make this a killer Progressive Death Metal album to have. Don't overlook this one, it's done right!

9.5/10

9.) Toxic Holocaust- Chemistry of Consciousness

An album that just kicks ass. Unrelenting Crossover Thrash mixed with Death Metal vocals. There is nothing new from these guys either, just a fun album full of beer swigging Metal. Short, simple, fast paced songs that were meant for circle pits. Get your vest on and dig in!

7/10

10.) Cemetery Rapist- Plundering Into V*ginal Dust

One of the more messed up albums on the entire list. Cemetery Rapist is a one man Grindcore project that doesn't care at all what people think. He goes in, creates chaos, makes it offensive titles and attacks. That's what this album is in a nutshell. Not bad by any means, Contrived maybe, but not bad.

5/10

Spiner202
11-24-2013, 08:45 AM
1.) Death Angel- The Dream Calls For Blood

Death Angel nearly hit it out of the Park on this one. A much better representation of the band compared to their last album Relentless Retribution. No filler, all pure heavy kick ass Thrash. In a band like Death Angel, that's all I will ever ask for.

8/10

Good call, this album was wicked. Really surprising, and very enjoyable.

3.) Fullforce- Next Level

Fullforce is a Power Metal/Hard Rock/80's Glam style band that definitely know their nitch. If Manowar and Kix formed a band that loved cheese and Whitesnake is the best way I can describe these guys. Definitely a great album if you are into that style. Nothing new by any stretch of the imagination, but just a fun album to enjoy in the background of any 80's coke party.

6/10

This one came out in 2012. I do like the album, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm blinded by my HammerFall fanboyism. This is one band that would serve better having only put out one album instead of two, because both albums have a few really killer songs, but are not consistently great. I'd probably give it a 7/10, but there's definitely a lot more potential.

Datjazzfusion
11-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Hey Guys!

This year has been a hellacious ride for me so far. One thing that has helped me through it all is all the music I have received this year. by the end of this thread I will have reviewed 388 albums (What the fuck is wrong with me for doing so many???)

8.) Dreariness- My Mind Is Too Weak To Forget
The In this Moment of Atmospheric Black Metal, except instead of In This Moment, the music is indeed stellar. But is absolutely ruined by the female vocal screams. They sound like labor pains. nobody wants that.

11.) Kylesa- Ultraviolet
NO, it's not just because Laura Pleasants is a total bitch, but this album didn't do anything for me. Honestly the only album that held weight to me was Static Tensions, which is still a great album, but anything before or since just doesn't click....and Laura Pleasants is a total bitch.

I am still going to check out that Kylesa album because it is Kylesa.

However, is it bad that Blackened Atmospheric Labor Pains piques my interest?:eyes:

hellawaits77ny
11-24-2013, 11:16 AM
388 albums? Wow. Dude, there's more to life than music. Just sayin'............

MPF
11-24-2013, 11:55 AM
388 albums? Wow. Dude, there's more to life than music. Just sayin'............

When you are laid up like I am. I take advantage of the one thing that gets me through anything.

Just sayin'..........

slapguitarer
11-24-2013, 11:57 AM
I am still going to check out that Kylesa album because it is Kylesa.

However, is it bad that Blackened Atmospheric Labor Pains piques my interest?:eyes:

New Kylesa is awesome, don't pay attention to his review. And Blackened Atmospheric Labor Pains sound pretty kvlt 2 me

adamclark52
11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
I gotta disagree with you on Vista Chino, Josh Homme would've brought that album into "great" territory. The first half was good, but the second half was pretty flat.

MPF
11-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Different strokes...

Anyways back to it!

11.) Conquest- The War We Rage

The best Manowar album ever made. No other way to describe it.

9/10

12.) Howl- Bloodlines

Howl is one of those bands that can change their sound on every album, yet, distinctly sound like Howl. This time they have taken a bit more of an early day Mastodon sound in their Stoner/Sludge Metal sound. Melodic at the right times, heavy as hell in others and just overall a massive growing epic sound that crushes with every song. Such a killer album

9/10

13.) Acacia- Tills döden skiljer oss åt

Atmospheric Doom Metal done at it's finest. It goes from heavy as all hell to sheer epic symphonic brilliance to classic Doom to Clean moments of clarity to all out DOOOOOOOOOM....and that's just one song! The whole album is chalk full of this brilliance and I couldn't love it more. This album is probably number 51.) all together, but I had to put a stop somewhere in my rankings. Get this immediately if you want some of the best Atmospheric Doom Metal you've never heard before.

9.5/10

14.) Pestilence- Obsideo

Fusion Death Metal...not my naming of this, but rather the press release that came with the promo. Pestilence has always been one of those Tech Metal bands that the tr)) Metal fans know but they are always one of those bands that go "Oh yeah, Pestilence, they're cool. I guess." This is one of those albums unfortuneatly, and the sad part is, this may be their best work. It's a great album, but it will be surpassed by everything else this year, and honestly, that's ok. This doesn't really have anything new to it, It is just the standard Tech Death that the fans of the genre love.

6/10

15.) Phillip H. Anselmo & The Illegals- Walk Through Exits Only

Possibly Phil's most extreme album to date. This contains pretty much everything from Phil's career (Pantera, Superjoint Ritual, Down, etc) but with an overall Extreme approach to the music. The Groove Metal sounds nearly grindcoreish at times. The Down moments are still near Death Metal range. It's fantastic, but a bit one sided. But that's ok. Phil gets a pass as not every album needs to be as diverse as a prog album. This is brutal stuff for the average Walk era Pantera fan. Enjoy!

7/10

16.) Intronaut- Habitual Habitations

I love Intronaut to Death. Although most of my friends think they are quite boring. I will go on record saying that they will never beat Valley of Smoke. It is their prime masterpiece. but this is close to it. A bit more on the prog side than Valley Of Smoke, all while still being a bit more laid back as well. Intronaut play their style of Sludgy, Posty Progressive Metal to a T. This isn't Valley Of Smoke (which if you haven't heard, check out NOW!) but again, this is not far behind, great stuff.

8/10

17.) Bosnian Rainbows- S/T

Really Cedric, this is what you broke up the Mars Volta for? A couple of cool what the hell was that songs, but that's it. Otherwise ignore if you liked anything about TMV. Go for this if you want Indie/Alternative/Hipster music.

2/10

18.) Fight Or Flight- A Life By Design?

A band formed by the guitarist and drummer of Disturbed with the new currant singer of Evans Blue. This is your substandard Poppy Hard Rock album. Not bad, but not interesting at all. Papa Roach fans would gobble this up no problem. Granted the guitar solos are pretty cool since listening to Disturbed you'd never guess solos were possible. But again, this is nothing you haven't heard a billion times on Mainstream radio already so don't bother unless you need your fix.

3/10

19.) Jesu- Every Day I Get Closer to the Light From Which I Came

This is my first time checking these guys out and I gotta admit I do like what I hear. This album, while being a very shoegazing Post Metal album. Contains ome Electronic and Dub moments as well. Tt's a very dreamy, laid back album for the most part, while it does get heavy in a rollercoaster way, it's done in a way that any sub-pop fan could appreciate. If you want to be Metal and chill out at the same time, this is your album.

8/10

20.) Cancer Bats- Dead Set On Living

This album is half Chaotic Hardcore and Heavy Metal ruckus. The other half is pure Sabbath Worship with a total of 5 Sabbath songs in their other form, Bat Sabbath. Again, nothing groundbreaking here. Just a fan Metal album to Mosh to and chug a beer to. Enjoy in all it's pleasantries.

adamclark52
11-24-2013, 04:41 PM
19.) Jesu- Every Day I Get Closer to the Light From Which I Came

This is my first time checking these guys out and I gotta admit I do like what I hear. This album, while being a very shoegazing Post Metal album. Contains ome Electronic and Dub moments as well. Tt's a very dreamy, laid back album for the most part, while it does get heavy in a rollercoaster way, it's done in a way that any sub-pop fan could appreciate. If you want to be Metal and chill out at the same time, this is your album.
8/10

Check out their Silver EP, great stuff

slapguitarer
11-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Bosnian Rainbows is better than the last two Volta albums. Also, Cedric has nothing to do with Bosnian Rainbows. At all. You're thinking Omar.

MPF
11-24-2013, 06:16 PM
I am recovering off Medical grade Heroin, I am bound to make a few fopas.

MPF
11-24-2013, 07:03 PM
21.) The Holy Guile- FSU

This is one of, if not the only, Deathcore album on this list. I actually love this album, because it is not meant to be taken seriously. If anything it is musicians poking fun at the genre and it's lyrics....but instead of sucking at their instruments, they are actually kicking ass. It's not often you'll find me praising a Deathcore album, but by gum this is one of them. It's a fun listen all the way through, although it does get a little tiresome if your ears want something different all the time. Give it at least one shot, it's fun for fun sake!

7/10

22.) The Reign Of Kindo- Play With Fire

I have been a fan of these guys way before Scale The Summit started singing their praises. Since the first album I am proud to say. Alternative Jazz Prog Rock. This stuff is so good, and each album gets better and better. Play With Fire is easily their best without question. Knocked it right out of the park once again. I know it's rare to find a non-metal or even Rock album on my list, but this is absolutely fantastic in every way, please check it out, they deserve all the praise they get.

9/10

23.) Hacride- Back to Where You've Never Been

Pretty cool Groove Metal with some Synth tracks. A good healthy mix of cleans and screams in this band, more cleans than anything with some screams as backup and partial lead. This is the kind of band that I wish was on mainstream radio instead of what plagues it now. But alas I can only control my radio show and not broadcast radio in full. Oh well, until then, check these guys out for yourself and enjoy!

7/10

24.) Danko Jones- Rock and Roll is Black And Blue

Well...the title of this album doesn't lie. The music is ok with particularly crap lyrics. Stay away if you have taste in music.

2/10

25.) Moving Mountains- S/T

A great Alternative Post Rock band with some Prog elements in the background. it's an energetic album but not in a Metal or really even a Rock way. Another great kick back and enjoy album. I have a soft side of music like this and it is gorgeous, maybe you'll dig it as well.

8/10

26.) Atma Weapon- Dark Tower

It's kinda hard to put my finger on this one. It's an epic record but at the same time it sounds like a Pop Rock album amongst all Alt Metal, hard Rock, Classic Rock and some Prog. Go into this one with an open mind, you may need it.

6/10

27.) Melt Banana- Fetch

I discovered these guys this year and all I can say is WOW. I am still on the fence if this is the worst or best thing to be discovered from Japan. Grindcore, Pop, with Yelping Female vocals. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

7/10

28.) Mystic Prophecy- Killhammer

Power Thrash Metal. I absolutely love this album. It really does combine the best of Power Metal and Thrash with cheesy lyrics and it is combined into one album. Let your chest hair grow out, draw your swords and be METAAAAAAAAL!!!

9.5/10

29.) Kinetik- Heavier Elements

Of the new era of Prog Metal you are lumped into three categories to those who really don't pay attention...Djent, Dream theater Rip Off, neither of those two. This band is a bit of both of the first two to put it in the dumbest way I can. there is the Djent involved, but it combines a lot of DT elements as well which adds for a very cool dynamic to the band. this is a really fun album to listen to for Prog fans who don't mind some screaming. The music more than makes up for it.

8/10

30.) Devourment- Conceived in Sewage

Brutal as hell Death Metal. This is an album that will pummel everything in it's path upon first listen. It's got some varying tempos so it doesn't feel like total destrution all the time, but overall if you need to get your Slam Moshing on, get this and MOSH!

8/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-26-2013, 11:51 AM
3.) Fullforce- Next Level[/B]

6/10
I checked this album out, and I totally agree with you.Definitely a power metal/glam metal mash up, a pretty fun album, though not one of the best new gen glam or power metal records.

kalfitegrdan
11-27-2013, 06:19 AM
20.) Cancer Bats- Dead Set On Living[/B]

This album is half Chaotic Hardcore and Heavy Metal ruckus. The other half is pure Sabbath Worship with a total of 5 Sabbath songs in their other form, Bat Sabbath. Again, nothing groundbreaking here. Just a fan Metal album to Mosh to and chug a beer to. Enjoy in all it's pleasantries.

This came out last year, dude. The only thing that came out this year was the Sabbath covers EP. Also, you forgot to give it a rating. :tongue:

LogicBomb
11-28-2013, 12:07 AM
19.) Voivod- Target Earth
They just aren't doing it for me anymore. Ever since the Self Titled album, its been a downhil slide for Voivod in my eyes, and it's not their fault, when you lose a main songwriter in your band, you are bound to have some kind of a change. I just wish it wasn't for the worst.

Small typo here, actually this is Voivod's best album since Dimension Hatross.

MPF
11-28-2013, 09:28 AM
I apologize for the typos guys. I just got out of the Mayo Clinic yesterday and starting to do out-patient treatment starting tomorrow.

Once I get to feeling better I will be able to start doing this thread right. Until then, I'm trying.

Datjazzfusion
11-28-2013, 09:39 AM
I apologize for the typos guys. I just got out of the Mayo Clinic yesterday and starting to do out-patient treatment starting tomorrow.

Once I get to feeling better I will be able to start doing this thread right. Until then, I'm trying.

Sorry about all the illnesses man. Be sure you take care of yourself.
And I loved last years thread because it reminded me of things I listened to and forgot about, Bands I never heard of, Albums I forgot were released, and albums I should avoid like the plague.

adamclark52
11-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Sorry about all the illnesses man. Be sure you take care of yourself.
And I loved last years thread because it reminded me of things I listened to and forgot about, Bands I never heard of, Albums I forgot were released, and albums I should avoid like the plague.

Hey whatever happened to your list man? It was tits!

Datjazzfusion
11-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Hey whatever happened to your list man? It was tits!

I'll get back to it after finals. So I'll try to finish it once and for all in December.

MPF
11-28-2013, 12:10 PM
31.) The Dillinger Escape Plan- One Of Us Is The Killer

Easily the most simple and I dare say, mainstream DEP record to date. I would argue to say it's their best as well. The vocals are back to not sounding so high pitch and back at the Patton style that makes the band more interesting. It is less Chaotic overall, but they replaced the chaos with better songwriting and overall song structure, which I will always be a bigger fan of anyways. Oddly enough this didn't make my top 50, but it is in my top 55 for sure.

9/10

32.) Bolus- Triangulate

Progressive Rock done right in 2013. It's kinda poppy at times almost like Yes would be if they came out right now. There are some more mixes of bands including Coheed and Cambria, Rush, Dream Theater, but all at the same time none of the music feels pretentious and it very well written. Give these guys a fighting chance, this is killer stuff!

8/10

33.) Ashes Of Ares- S/T

Matt Barlow is back baby! Arguably showcasing some of his finest vocal abilities to date. But not only is Barlow back but Van Williams formerly of Nevermore. I will say this, this is a killer album for sure, but it does feel lacking for some reason that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it is because it is it's own entity and not Iced Earth nor Nevermore. It's great to see both kicking ass with music again and one can only hope for at least one proper US tour.

8/10

34.) Celeste- Animale(S)

Atmospheric Black Metal done with a different approach. For the most part it is unrelenting and pummeling with the atmospherics in the background instead of in the foreground.This two part album is a very cool listen overall for those that want some Atmospheric Black Metal that is not dreamy and dreary. Definitely giving it props for staying a bit more tr00 (and with actual decent recording quality, for once in black metal).

9/10

35.) Enshine- Origin

Short Doom Metal with lots of background, synth driven, soundscapes. It reminds me a lot of the band Daylight Dies but instead of having varying tempos it focuses more on dynamics. This is a great album to check out if you want something different out of Traditional Doom/Death Metal and with a bit more feeling behind it.

8/10

36.) Edenbridge- The Bonding

VERY Symphonic Female Fronted Progressive Power Metal. But the one advantage to this band over the other bands of this genre is that the female vocals are not Operatic. Which can be done greatly, but since Nightwish, has been so over saturated. Overall this is just a fun Symphonic Metal album that while not a game changer, definitely helps you appreciate the genre if the normal operatic vocals get to you.

7/10

37.) All Pigs Must Die- Nothing Violates This Nature

A very diverse album overall for a chaotic Hardcore band. I am sure that Kurt from Converge producing this album had a lot to do with that. This goes from in your face hardcore chaos to very melodic Doom/Sludge Metal to anything in between. Having Ben from Converge on drums also helps with the creativity of this band. This is not your run of the mill Hardcore, this is so much more, and people really need to check it out to truly appreciate it.

9/10

38.) Rosetta- The Anasethe

I will whole heartedly say that the sole reason why this isn't in my top 50 of the year is for a lack of being able to hear it as much as I wanted to. This is Sludge and Doom Done right in every single way. Fans of bands like The Ocean would cream themselves when they discover Rosetta. So very dynamic and will be an influential album in the genre for years to come. it is way too good to ignore The dynamics folks....THE DYNAMICS!!! So damn good, and hopefully you'll dig it as well.

9.5/10

39.) Misery Signals- Absent Light

Misery Signals is a band that I discovered nearly a decade because I had them confused with Misery Index. But I am very happy to have discovered them because they are a killer band for their blend of Progressive Metalcore. Absent Light may be their finest work to date as well as saying that. They really took their time since 2008's Controller and made a creative, killer album that really showcases what can be done in Progressive Metalcore. For the most part it is a genre that is known about but ignored for it's Metalcore name, but damn it, break out of stereotypes and enjoy this fine piece of music called Absent Light, it's well worth stepping out of yourself to check it out.

9/10

40.) Boris- Prparat

Everything that Boris is about is in this one album, from the poppyness of their Japan Pop Roots to their Sludgy Doom Metal that became synonymous with the band. Yes this is all in one album. Boris may be one of, if not the finest band to ever come out of Japan. Check out this album to understand why.

9.5/10

kalfitegrdan
11-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Spot on with that All Pigs Must Die review. It also sounds like I need to check out those Celeste and Rosetta albums.

MPF
11-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Spot on with that All Pigs Must Die review. It also sounds like I need to check out those Celeste and Rosetta albums.

Definitely. All three are worthy of listening to.

MPF
11-29-2013, 03:33 PM
41.) Rotting Christ- Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy

Rotting Christ is not your stereotypical evil band, they expand their horizons on every album. Sometimes that's for the best, other times it makes you go....what the hell was that? This time around, it's a bit of both. They are a band that you can't really put into words, you gotta just hear them and trust your ear's instinct. You'll hear Death metal, but you'll hear Orchestration and electronics and horns out of nowhere. It's not for the faint of heart nor is it an instant love album, it's one that is absolutely deserving of the phrase, grower.

7/10

42.) Bruce Soord (Featuring Jonas Radke)- Wisdom Of Crowds

It doesn't get much stranger than when you combine the masterminds behind The Pineapple Thief and Katatonia. This is an Indie, Electronic, Progressive Rock album that is moody and sounds happy at the same time. If you really, and I mean, REALLY wanna experiment, check out this album, it kinda explains the choices both men have made for their bands lately.

7/10

43.) Bane Of Winterstorm- The Last Sons Of Perylin

A fast paced thrill seeker of a Symphonic Power Metal album. It is very symphonic and epic feeling throughout. The vocals even range from the soaring highs to near guttural, but understandable cleans. This is the kind of Power Metal that gives Power Metal it's cheesy, but awesome name. there is nothing but POWER behind this album, I really dig it.

8/10

44.) My Soliloquy- The Interpreter

In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with this synth driven Progressive Metal band, but they do sound like the stereotypical Progressive Metal band that was inspired by Dream Theater and Symphony X and made a band. If that's up your alley, so are these guys, but in the Prog world, this breaks new ground, I guess I was just hoping for something a bit more.

5/10

45.) Kingcrow- In Crescendo

Absolutely beautiful and awesome Progressive Metal. While getting some good exposure this year opening for Pain of Salvation here in the states (Which I will never forget because the St. Paul show was canceled the day of) Kingcrow is starting to make a real name for itself in the Prog world. In a way they are what I wish Pain of Salvation would have stayed or evolved into instead of the Zepplin era they are still currently in. This album is fantastic and any Prog fan will love this to bits.

9/10

46.) Replica- The Bright Side Of Death

Pretty Groovin Metal mixed in with some Metalcore moments used sparingly. Not top of the mill, nor run of the mill material, but stuff that is worth a shot if you dig what Groove Metalcore can bring to you. there is some talent to these guys, just in need of a bit better production.

6/10

47.) Red Fang- Whales And Leeches

Red Fang is a beer drinker's wet dream. They are the kind of band you go and see, get drunk and just party the whole time. The new album from Red Fang is a great representation of the band live. Just balls out Stonerish Hard Rock that Kyuss fans still lust for. Red Fang nail it again!

9/10

48.) Altar Of Plagues- Teethed Glory And Injury

Altar of Plagues is one of those bands that is hit or miss to me. Their debut was a solid hit for me. Mammal was such a disappointment to me. This, being their last album ever is sure to hopefully be a winner right? Well...they actually did. This is their best work to date. One thing that really helped the band a lot in my eyes is the return to shorter track lengths instead of just extending to extend, like what Mammal feels like to me. This album is top notch and doesn't feel like it goes on too long before it drastically changes over and over and over again. A solid win, and a sad final win for the band.

9.5/10

49.) Darkane- The Sinister Supremacy

No one does Melodic Death metal and Thrash like Darkane does. They are so criminally unknown to most Metal fans, and it is just not fair because they are amazing. They are back to their original roots on this one focusing on the thrashiness and the melodicness that makes them so damn catchy. Plus Peter Wiloder being one of the best drummers alive doesn't hurt. This is a solid winner of a album of a genre and overall a band that should be touring constantly but sadly may not get more recognition that this review.

9.5/10

50.) Stormlord- Hespiria

Epic Symphonic Power Metal mixed with Black Metal. Who'd a thunk it? Well it has been made and it sounds really damn impressive. if you hate Black Metal or it's vocals, you will HATE this album. If you love well orchestrated Power Metal mixed with Black Metal elements to make epicness that you may have never imagined, go for this one. it's a mindscrew at first but once you get sucked in, you can't let go. I know I can't.

9.5/10

SerpentineVIVIVI
11-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Glad this is up again, I found some gems last year that I still listen to semi-frequently to this day (Siamese Fighting Fish in particular). 2 of your mentioned albums have already found their way into my library, which is already a quicker conversion than last year, if I'm not mistaken. You'll be sure to get a mention for said albums on my year-end list, which will be compiled in the coming weeks as I try and sort through listening to the inevitable end-of-year pile up. Keep up with the posts, I'm looking forward to finding a handful of others.

MPF
11-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Glad this is up again, I found some gems last year that I still listen to semi-frequently to this day (Siamese Fighting Fish in particular). 2 of your mentioned albums have already found their way into my library, which is already a quicker conversion than last year, if I'm not mistaken. You'll be sure to get a mention for said albums on my year-end list, which will be compiled in the coming weeks as I try and sort through listening to the inevitable end-of-year pile up. Keep up with the posts, I'm looking forward to finding a handful of others.

Cheers!

:rocker:

John The Drummer
11-29-2013, 04:17 PM
I've only heard one Darkane album, but always hear nothing but good things about the rest of their stuff. I REALLY need to listen to them again. I do remember the drummer being amazing tho :)

MPF
12-01-2013, 04:38 PM
51.) Suffocation- Pinnacle Of Bedlam

Easily one of the best Death Metal releases of 2013 without question. it is simply solid from start to finish. Nothing spectacularly different when it comes to Death Metal, just very damn solid and should make any Death Metal fan moist in the pants, and simply done right.

9/10

52.) Code- Augur Nox

Progressive Black Metal. It's an odd combination when you first think about it, but when you hear it done right, it so very well fits together. Prog and Black Metal can fit hand in hand and Code is a great example of this, not the best, but definitely good.

7/10

53.) Born Of Osiris- Tomorrow We Die ∆live

These guys took until their last album to finally find their niche when it comes to forming their own sound. It's combing Djent, Progressive Metal, Melody, and doing away with the God Awful Deathcore that plagues their first few releases. This is easily their strongest release because you don't hear any ripoffs on this album, it's Born Of Osiris playing as themselves and doing a damn good job of it. a very killer album that will most likely go to the way side without proper reviewing.

9/10

54.) October Age- Plague Of A Coming Age

Some more of the Atmospheric Black Metal for you that I love and enjoy. Unlike about 95% of all the Black Metal albums I received this year, this one is actually listenable production wise, which is already a step in the right direction. To me October Falls is what would happen if Early to mid era Opeth played Atmospheric Black Metal. it is very damn good stuff that shouldn't be ignored, especially if you are an Opeth fan and wanted to get into the genre. This is a great access band for that. Can't sing this one's praises enough.

9.5/10

55.) Sandstone- Delta Viridian

Progressive Power Metal, more Power than anything else. I haven't quite put my finger on every aspect of this album yet other than it is definitely solid musically and production wise. The vocals are hit or miss. You will love them or hate them, or possibly grow into them. Definitely give it a shot if you are into the genre, while virtually unknown, it is quality stuff.

8/10

56.) Kyle Gass Band- S/T

I had no idea this was a thing and that Trainwreck had broken up. This is the less comical side of Kyle Gass focusing on his songwriting and guitar playing rather than letting Jack Black basically control everything in Tenacious D. This is just a fan acoustic guitar basses Rockin' album. Not much else to add other than it's fun to listen to and worth at least one listen.

6/10

57.) Dethklok- The Doomstar Requiem (Soundtrack)

While not a traditional Dethklok album (which I doubt there will be anymore besides possibly one more). While the whole thing is an Opera, it's a love or hate endeavor. I know plenty of people who found this disappointing, while just as many people found it epic as hell. I am with the latter. The ending to Blazing Star may just be the best moment in the history of Dethklok. Go into this one with an open mind if you are weary of it. If you are a fan of the show, you gotta find something to love about this.

9/10

58.) Coffins- The Fleshland

For fans of early day Death Metal. This is brash, discorded, and full of Death. Early day Entombed comes to mind a lot hearing this. Overall, not the best sounding album production wise, the music more than makes up for it.

7/10

59.) Animations- Private Ghetto

Very damn heavy, groovin, proggy Metal with growls. Like the name suggests, the sound is a bit...animated, but never cartoonish. This is almost taking an Art Rock approach to Metalcore. It's an odd description I know, but once you hear it, it makes sense.

8/10

60.) Jolly- The Audio Guide To Happiness (Volume II)

These guys are simply killer. Both albums they have released have been killer Progressive Rock/Metal albums. it's hard to compare both albums as they both fit perfectly with each other and like the album title suggests, its an album that will make you happy. Non-pretentious Progressive Rock is hard to find, and these guys do it so very damn well. I wish them nothing but the best!

9/10

John The Drummer
12-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Fuckin Code! My guitarist showed them to me a while back, but I could never find their albums for a decent price. Saw they had a new one when I was at the record store today, but it was pretty expensive too :(

BTW, not sure if you've reviewed it yet, but Phil Anselmo & The Illegals is probably one of my biggest let downs of the year. I have heard SOOO much good stuff about it... bought it... and was utterly confused as to what Phil was going for #sadface

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey man just wanted to say your doing a really good job with this and I'm planning on checking out some of your mentions, and I also hope to see a couple of my top 20 albums mentioned as well. Keep on rockin'! :rocker:

MPF
12-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Fuckin Code! My guitarist showed them to me a while back, but I could never find their albums for a decent price. Saw they had a new one when I was at the record store today, but it was pretty expensive too :(

BTW, not sure if you've reviewed it yet, but Phil Anselmo & The Illegals is probably one of my biggest let downs of the year. I have heard SOOO much good stuff about it... bought it... and was utterly confused as to what Phil was going for #sadface

It's on the second page. :lol:

Hey man just wanted to say your doing a really good job with this and I'm planning on checking out some of your mentions, and I also hope to see a couple of my top 20 albums mentioned as well. Keep on rockin'! :rocker:

Thank you kindly! :rocker:

MPF
12-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Quick question.

The year is starting to run out and I feel like I am running out of time to get everything done by the end of the year, should I skip to my Top 50, or keep up the other albums too?

Datjazzfusion
12-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Quick question.

The year is starting to run out and I feel like I am running out of time to get everything done by the end of the year, should I skip to my Top 50, or keep up the other albums too?

Personally I love seeing allthe albums, so maybe you can reduce the review and make it a sentance long such as "Great riffs but not enough bass, for fans of yaddayadda and insert genre here. better than their previous effort" 6/10

If that feels like too much of a hassle go to your top 50. Either way I hope you feel better soon.

MPF
12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
What if I do my Top 50 now and get back to the other albums afterwards?

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-05-2013, 08:07 PM

That would be the way I'd do it, but I definitely want to see them all personally.

John The Drummer
12-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Look at it this way.... how many people still haven't finished their best of 2011 list? :lol:

Datjazzfusion
12-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Sounds good.

MPF
12-07-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm actually feeling good today so i am going to knock off 20-30 albums and see how I feel before going to the top 50.

MPF
12-07-2013, 03:51 PM
51.) Sons Of Aeon- S/T

This was in my top 20 for the longest time, but overtime so many more albums came out since it's release in January that it got moved down. These guys are the Pain of Salvation of Melodic Death Metal. So Melodic, Proggy and the right amount of Melodeath to make this an awesome listen all the way though. The Song Wolf Eyes is one of my favorite songs of 2013 and any POS fan that can c\handle rough vocals will feel the same. I love these guys and this album is damn near perfection.

9.5/10

52.) Vattnet Viskar- Sky Swallower

The more condensed and more Black Metal focused Deafheaven. This is the otherside of Atmospheric Black Metal that gets ignored with bands like Deafheaven and Alcest...the dark, sludgy side. This album is criminally underrated in compared to Deafheaven's Sunbather (which will appear down the road in this compilation). Seriously killer stuff.

9.5/10

53.) DevilDriver- Winter Kills

DevilDriver is the Disturbed of Melodic Death Metal in my eyes. They get better on every album, but for some reason it never clicks with me. Winter Kills is easily their best material to date without question but at the same time it's still just meh to me. To those who love the style of DevilDriver, this you will cream yourselves over, and deservingly so, but just not me.

5/10

54.) Adrenaline Mob- Coverta

I originally wasn't going to add this one since it is a covers album, but then I remembered how much better it is that Omerta so I decided to add it. This is what I wish Adrenaline Mob would have been, Doing badass covers of badass songs, not being an All Star Disturbed tribute band. This is the album to get.

8/10

55.) The Aristocrats- Culture Clash

The only reason this isn't in my top 50 is for a lack of being able to hear it more. This is a far superior album to their debut where they feel much more like a band instead of just a jam session. Marco Minnemann, Guthrie Govan and Bryan Bellar, what else do you need to make a killer album? It is one of the best instrumental albums of the year without a shadow of a doubt. it's fun, quirky, and jaw dropping. Exactly what I wanted.

9/10

56.) Mumakil- Flies Will Starve

Very Brutal Death Metal and Crust with some Grindcore track lengths. Very solid, short, nice, and sweet. Not much else to say other than it is very solid and worth a listen if you are a fan of the genre

8/10

57.) Death Wolf- !!: Black Armoured Death

A Death Metal/Black Metal All Star band doing Horror Punk in the style of the Misfits. It gets kinda repetitive after a while, but in small doses it's pretty good...just like listening to the Misfits. All In All nothing really impressive here, just good ol' Horror Punk.

6/10

58.) We Are Legion- Exit Humanity

Easily one of the best Death Metal bands in Minnesota We Are Legion is back with their 2nd album which was mastered by J-F of Kataklysm. Exploring more genres this time around, this is a far better representation of the band that I have been fortunate enough to see kick ass on plenty of Occasions. They call themselves the Pink Floyd Of Death Metal, this pretty much showcases that expect pretty damn well.

8/10

59.) Artlantica- Across The Seven Seas

Very Symphony X inspired Symphonic Power Metal. Not a carbon clone, but pretty close. I was hoping for a bit more originality but I love Symphony X so it's hard to hate this. It's really done well.

6/10

60.) Kvelertak- Meir

These guys are lumped into the Hipster category, which i will never understand. They are badass Hardcore, Black Metal and Classic Rock and Roll rolled into one. They only get better with age even with this being their second album. Without a doubt one of the most original sounding bands to come out in quite sometime with a distinct edge that will definitely get them more exposure on their next album, without question. I love these guys.

9/10

61.) Havok- Unnatural Selection

One of the finest Thrash Metal albums of the year. Very Political this time around, but the music is so thrashy and fun that it doesn't take anything away from it,. And their cover of Sabbath's Children Of the Grave is too damn good to ignore. Just pure unadulterated THRASH!!!

9/10

62.) Todtgelichter- Apnoe

Avante4 Garde- Progressive Post Metal. that is an odd description, but it fits very well. This album goes from Extreme Metal to some of the most Melodic and beautiful moments ever sang in 2013. Don't let the name of the band scare you off, the vocals are in English. This is a dangerously underrated album and I hope even with this review that it will get the band some exposure, they so deserve it.

9.5/10

63.) Watain- The Wild Hunt

Arguably the biggest Black metal band going right now (or at least the most exposure anyways) Watain is back with their newest album which ventures off the beaten Black Metal course and goes into more territories that are not much explored. Lots of various tempos and genre changes on this one all while keeping their sinister tone, while not the best Black metal album of the year, it is one of the most evil and deathly albums to come out in quite some time. Now if they can stop with the roadkill sacrifices on stage...that would be great.

8/10

64.) Fair Warning- Sundancer

No, not Fates Warning, FAIR Warning, the German Hard Rock band. This is an absolute throwback to 80's GLAM Rock, which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. For me, it's good in small doses. For anyone who wants to be GLAM in 2013, this is the Album to get in my eyes.

7/10

65.) August Burns Red- Rescue & Restore

A band that I ignored for the longest time until their last album and was blown away, this time around my jaw hit the ground. Granted it is heavily Christian Metalcore, but the music is too damn good to ignore. All while staying fresh and relevent these guys have written the best damn album of their career.

9.5/10

66.) Vreid- Welcome Farewell

Norwegian Black And Roll done at it's finest, Vreid are back with their newest release that easily showcases some of the best work. While if you ever heard Vreid before, this doesn't stay from the beaten path, it is a damn solid album that just kick's ass Black and Roll style.

8/10

67.) Levin, Minnemann, Rudess- S/T

Tony Levin on Bass, Marco Minnemann on Drums and Guitar and Jordan Rudess on Keys. This Liquid Tension Experiment inspired album showcases one of the best trios since the Aristocrats (funny enough how they are on this list just a few above eh?) This is a much different album than the aforementioned Aristocrats album. it is much more subdued, not quirky, a bit more serious, but overall a very solid Instrumental Prog album that made fans of LTE jump for joy, I know I did.

9/10

68.) Antiquus Scriptum- Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Some more killer, well produced Atmospheric Black Metal. The vocals are a bit...different, but doesn't deteriorate from the music. Nothing too outrageously different albout this album that differentiates from the genre. Just really cool stuff...if you can take the vocals.

7/10

69.) Warbeast- Destroy

Very badass Groovin Metal. Helped discovered by Phil Anselmo from his Noisecore Records label. This is the second release from the band and they improved vastly. While there is not much variation on this album, it is solid all the way through for what it is, Metal metal Metal...Up your ass.

8/10

70.) Trivium- Vengeance Falls

I was very skeptical of this album for two big reasons. One, In waves was horrible from start to finish. And second, David Draiman of Disturbed was producing this album. That should automatically have a recipe for disaster...but it's not. It's not the best album of their career, but they have redeemed themselves in a big way. The good side of Trivium is back with their blend of Thrash and Metalcore, and it's about damn time too. Hopefully the next album will be even more of a step up.

7/10

John The Drummer
12-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Rating Watain above Vreid... tsk tsk tsk... I am disappoint :( :( :( :(

MPF
12-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Rating Watain above Vreid... tsk tsk tsk... I am disappoint :( :( :( :(

I love Vried to Death but Watain had more variation to them.

That said, Vried is better overall.

John The Drummer
12-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I love Vried to Death but Watain had more variation to them.

That said, Vried is better overall.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128686/2790539-i_approve_this_message__be80a0c4e678f4290d2177c5a3 a41c02.jpg

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-07-2013, 07:27 PM
That Fair Warning album is pretty good, though not as good as their Rainmaker album (nothing ever will really).If you want to be glam in 2013 though, go with Reckless Love's Spirit, Santa Cruz's Screaming For Adrenaline, or Crashdiet's The Savage Playground.

MPF
12-09-2013, 12:30 PM
71.) Mygrain- Planetary Breathing

Modern Melodic Death Metal from Finland. A very melodic album compared to the rest of their catalog. A very solid album filled with synth driven hooks and heavy Melodeath moments. Not the most standout album that came out this year, but one that will get overlooked that deserves a fair shot.

7/10

72.) Galaktik Cancer Squad- Ghost Light

Progressive Black Metal. While not the greatest band name to come out (I actually find it quite dumb) the music is too good to ignore if you dig Black Metal done with some Prog. It does sound outer spacey and from the future. it's a cool combination when it's done right, and it is done right here.

8/10

73.) Ayreon- The Theory Of Everything

Don't get me wrong, I love Ayreon, always have. Every album is awesome in some way, shape, or form. And this is right up there with The Human Equation as the best Ayreon album, but just like every Ayreon album, and honestly every Arjen album, the cheese is what keeps it from being in my top albums. Musically, lyrically, songwriting wise, all stellar, but overall, great, but not perfect. I still love it. Fantastic Progressive Rock and Metal.

9/10

74.) Joe Satriani- Unstoppable Momentum

A lot of people even forgot that Satch put out an album this year. It is a stellar album for Satch, but just like any album he does, its only good in small doses. Nothing against one of the best damn guitarists in the world, but it does get samey after a while, but in those small doses, it's worth it.

7/10

75.) Newstead- Heavy Metal Music

This is a so-so album at beast. I love Jason Newstead, but half of this album is fantastic and half of it is very boring. Jason sounds just like Chuck Billy on every song, which to me is actually a plus, but only roughly half the album makes the cut. if he had made two EPs, or better yet, just stuck with the one, it would be regarded as a very damn good EP this year, but as a full album, just listen to a few tracks and move on.

5/10

76.) Scar The Martyr- S/T

Scar the martyr features Joey Jordison, Jed Simon and Kris Norris making what is essentially Early 2000s Nu Metal done in 2013. The difference? It actually sounds good! It's very industrial and sometimes thrashy, but the Nu Metal sound is very prominent. It's rare to find an album like this I can actually enjoy all the way through, but it has been done here. Bravo guys!

8/10

77.) Spiritual Beggars- Earth Blues

Ah, Swedish Stoner Rock is back. Spiritual Beggars is always one of those bands that any stoner rock fan could enjoy and not get bored with. Earth Blues has a heavy Deep Purple vibe throughout, which again is a very good thing, giving the band a new dimension to their sound. An album that many people missed out on, or forgot about, hopefully this review makes you check it out for some awesome music.

8/10

78.) Monster truck- Furiosity

Monster Truck is carrying on where Clutch has done since their Blues Roots albums. It's heavy and bluesy at the same time. Almost in a sense they can be the latter day Canadian Clutch. It gets a bit samey after a while, but if you enjoy the genre, you will love these guys.

8/10

79.) Christopher Lee- Charlemagne: The Omens of Death

This is either the worst Power Metal album of all time....or the best. I can't decide.

?/10

80.) Deicide- In the Minds Of Evil

Deicides Best album to date, it slays. Every song kicks your ass from beginning to end. And if you are like me where the lyrics don't matter, it doesn't feel cheesy, just heavy and brutal. Deicide, despite all the trouble going on in both camps, you have put out a killer album.

9.5/10

81.) Artillery- Legions

Ah, Danish Thrash, is there anything sexier? Well German thrash of course, but still, Artillery is a killer band. And Legions is no different, just in your face Thrash from beginning to end with no end in sight. If you haven't heard of Artillery, you are really doing yourself a disservice by not checking them out immediately!

9/10

82.) De Arma- Lost, Alien, and Forlorn

Some more Atmospheric Black Metal, mixed with Post Rock, with at least decent production. The songs on this album are brilliantly written and really grab at the heartstrings. Like the album title suggest, it is depressing but in a good way. Give this one a fair shot, it's absolutely worth it.

9/10

83.) Shelter Red- The Split Sabre

Instrumental Progressive Metal done in a non-traditional way. This is not your average Prog band. they are much heavier and more focused on writing songs than on writing time signatures and scales. The music does all the talking on this album and no vocals are needed. Just killer music all the way through.

8/10

84.) Starkill- Fires of Life

The best way I can describe Starkill is a mix of Dragonforce and early day Children Of Bodom. its very fast and heavy and lost of power behind it all. Originality wise, not so much, but the music on its own is very good and worth checking out for any fan of the genre.

7/10

85.) Masterplan- Novum Initium

Hardcore fans are not a fan of this album, but those who do enjoy anything about Masterplan will find something to love about this album. its a fun listen, as Power Metal usually is. Afterall, it's Masterplan! You get what you pay for.

8/10

86.) Feed Her To The Sharks- Savage Seas

Australian Metalcore. These guys would be fantastic if it wasn't for one thing that is overly used on this album that Deathcore, Industrial, etc keep using way too much lately....BASS DROPS. If you take that away you got one of the best underground Metalcore albums of the year. but those damn Bass drops ruined most of it for me.

5/10

87.) Pelican- Forever Becoming

How is no one talking about this awesome album at all this year? Pelican again outshines themselves with another stellar album. Instead of the last few releases of going more Poppy and song structured. Pelican went back into the dark angry sound that makes them that much more enjoyable to listen to. Some may not say this is their best work, but damn it is close.

9/10

88.) Vhol- S/T

A supergroup of Atmospheric, Sludge, and Doom Metal musicians have made a lo-fi masterpiece. Much faster than all of their main bands combined. This album showcases how versatile all these guys really are. There are no real ways to describe it without just listening to the album, so that is what I suggest, get on this!

9/10

89.) Reign Of Lies- The New Empire

The only thing this album lacks is perfect production. Otherwise this is a killer Groove Metal album. I found out about these guys when they opened for Melechesh and Vreid over the Summer and their bassist bought me a beer, gave me a CD and a shirt..and all I did was say that I dug their set. Now that is some fan love. Any fan of Groove Metal will love something about this album. Check it out!

8/10

90.) Black Pyramid- Adversarial

These guys have shown up for the last three years now on my list and every time they impress the hell out of me. Their brand of Sabbath inspired Stoner Metal is so damn cool. This album isn't anything out of the ordinary for the band, they write killer Stoner Metal, they don't need to reinvent the wheel, they already mastered it.

9/10

John The Drummer
12-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I purchased the new Artillery on accident, thinking it was a different band :lol:
I dug it a lot as well, tho. Only heard a few songs here and there, plus a couple songs at MDF last year.

Spiner202
12-10-2013, 07:55 AM
80.) Deicide- In the Minds Of Evil[/B]

Deicides Best album to date, it slays. Every song kicks your ass from beginning to end. And if you are like me where the lyrics don't matter, it doesn't feel cheesy, just heavy and brutal. Deicide, despite all the trouble going on in both camps, you have put out a killer album.

[B]9.5/10[b]

I would agree it is one of their stronger records, but you're the first person I've seen that thinks it is their best record.

Also, what is the trouble you're referring to?

adamclark52
12-10-2013, 08:07 AM
I would agree it is one of their stronger records, but you're the first person I've seen that thinks it is their best record.

Also, what is the trouble you're referring to?

Yeah, far from their best and far from their worst. Just a solid record that got a little boring after multiple listens. Nine point five is as little high too. I'd say seven point five.

He's probably referring to the Broken Hope stuff.

MPF
12-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah I just meant the Broken Hope stuff, but I dig this more than the rest. The Stench of Redemption is second place for me, but I like this more.

MPF
12-10-2013, 01:09 PM
91.) Saxon- Sacrifice

One of the most legendary and best Heavy Metal bands to come out of Europe. Saxon came back in a big way this year with Sacrifice. Stellar production and killer songs throughout. The title track is a great anthem for the band. It's everything you'd want in a Saxon album, just simply put an awesome Heavy metal album.

8/10

92.) Kalmah- Seventh Swamphony

Melodic Death metal, Thrash Metal and Power Metal all rolled into one. Kalmah knocks it out of the park again with their 7th album. Every song is just as stellar as the next. I would kill to see these guys live.

9/10

93.) Light Bearer- Silver Tongue

The second Magnum Opus from this band. Slowly brewing Progressive Doom Metal mixed with Post Rock for good measure. The band and all of their releases surround the story of Lucifer, which religious or not, makes for some killer music. It is nearly guaranteed you will never find another band like this who can make such an ethereal sound so beautiful and haunting all while having the evil haunting sounds of Hell surrounding you. Don't ignore these guys, check them out an enjoy!

9.5/10

94.) Cold Colours- S/T

The newest album from the MN Metal band, Cold Colours. It's doomy, it's Heavy, it's Melodic. It's badass and deserves some real attention. If you can find it, play it and enjoy!

8/10

95.) Sepultura- The Mediator Between Head And Hands Must Be The Heart

I have a really hard time getting into anything Post Max Sepultura. This album gets close, closer than they ever have before to me, but it still feels sub par. It's a personal thing, I know. On it's own It is a good album, but not as a Sepultura album.

6/10

96.) Killer Dwarfs- Start @ One

Bringing back the spirit of the 80s from their early days, Killer Dawfs are back with their newest album. It is classic 80's Glam Sleaze Rock at it's prime.

7/10

97.) Ihsahn- Das Seelenbrechen

Maybe it was just from a lack of being able to properly digest this album as it deserves, but this album is out in left field even for me. Considering what classics After and Eremita are, this is absolutely a strange album that explores everything Ihsahn is about. Maybe in time this will come back to me as a classic but for now, it's disappointing it didn't even reach my top 50.

6/10

98.) Orchid- The Mouths Of Madness

Oh yes the evil inspired Sabbath loving Occult Rock. It's becoming a very big thing but Orchid may have the lead above all the rest of these bands. They have the most original sound to them in the genre. In your face Fuzz Rock while staying heavy and badass. this is definitely not a band to overlook.

8/10

99.) Dead Letter Circus- The Catalyst Fire

The latest release from one of the finest Australian Prog bands. There is a big debate about which album is better, this or This Is the Warning. I love both albums equally. Both have their hooks that grab into you and don't let go. I hope these guys make it far, they deserve it.

9/10

100.) Stratovarius- Nemesis

This could be my favorite Strat album to date. it really feels like the band is firing on all cylinders now, which hasn't been for a long long time. Bravo guys, you finally made it back to the Progressive Power Metal prime that you are known for, now please keep it up!

9.5/10

John The Drummer
12-10-2013, 01:17 PM
I didn't even know Ihsahn had (or was evening planning on recording) a new album until about a couple months ago, since his last one feels like it JUST came out. I still need to give it a listen.

I loved his first two, a lot, the third one was odd, still have a hard time getting into it, then the next I just feel was a bit of a let down, good, but could have been better, IMO. He's still the man though, and not scared to try new things, even if it means losing some of his fanbase :)

kalfitegrdan
12-10-2013, 06:34 PM
86.) Feed Her To The Sharks- Savage Seas[/B]

Australian Metalcore. These guys would be fantastic if it wasn't for one thing that is overly used on this album that Deathcore, Industrial, etc keep using way too much lately....BASS DROPS. If you take that away you got one of the best underground Metalcore albums of the year. but those damn Bass drops ruined most of it for me.

5/10

Yeah, this sounds pretty awesome. If bass drops are your only problem with this, then I'm pretty sure I'd love it.

Also, you haven't heard excessive bass drops until you've heard Extermination (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFr4kyv1RJ8) Dismemberment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzDGYyLEf_I). :lol:

MPF
12-11-2013, 01:33 PM
101.) The Goddamn Gallows- #5

Bluegrass with Black Metal roots....the hell? This is strangely addicting. At it's heart it is a bluegrass album but the Black Metal and Punk are there without question. It's quirky in a sense that you never heard anything like this before or since. If you need something that is damn near Mike Patton territory in terms of messed up music, check this one out for sure.

7/10

102.) Anup Sastry- Ghost

A Drummer's solo album. Anup is best known for being the drummer for both Skyharbor and Jeff Loomis' live drummer. This album is all real drums, but everything else is programmed (which I didn't know you could do) This is a real fun album to listen to if you are a drumming fan. If you don't like the Djent sound at all, you will most likely ignore this one.

7/10

103.) Giant X- I

A side project of Running Wild. This is more of a Glam Rock 80s album than anything else. Its a fun listen that is not meant to be taken seriously, just as goofy as the 80's Glam Rock scene is. Enjoy it for what it is, a fun album

7/10

104.) Mouth Of The Architect- Dawning

A fantastic album that went waaaaaaaay under the radar this year. In fact I have yet to hear anyone talk about this. While not a perfect album, it is a stellar Post Metal album that shouldn't be ignored. MOTA is one of the finest bands going in the genre and Dawning proves that point once again.

9/10

105.) Kataklysm- Waiting For The End To Come

Ah, one of the finest Canadian Death Metal bands to ever exist are back. the great thing about these guys is you will never get the same album twice. they are always willing to experiment all while keeping their sound. Kataklysm wins again with this phenomenal epic Death Metal masterpiece.

9.5/10

106.) Children Of Bodom- Halo Of Blood

FINALLY a COB album that doesn't suck. That hasn't happened since Are You Dead Yet? This album is fantastic from start to finish and I totally blame Peter of Hypocrisy for this not sucking. It's about time Alexi realized what the band was missing, good songs. This album is chalk full of killer tunes. Now I actually wanna see them live to see if they can pull this off.

9/10

107.) Woe- Withdrawal

One of the best Black Metal albums of the year. Unrelenting, furious, dark melodies and excellent musicianship and songwriting. That's all you need to know, this is a sure fire win in every sense of the word.

9.5/10

108.) Degradead- The Monster Within

The best way I can describe these guys is Deadlock without any female vocals. it's got the same Modern Metal tinge that makes Deadlock so much fun to listen to. Catchy, heavy and fun. Check this one out for a good idea of what Euro Modern Metal is all about.

8/10

109.) Biffy Clyro- Opposites

I've said it before about these guys and I will say it again. These guys are what Freak Kitchen would be without the technical wizardry of Mattias of Freak Kitchen. This double album is a fun, quirky Alternative, Progressive Rock album. I'd love to say these guys are going to become huge in the states, but I know better, if they do they will start to suck like Muse does now and if they never catch on, the masses will miss some of the best rock music made. It's a catch 22 for sure.

9/10

110.) Moss Of Moonlight- Winterwheel

Atmospheric Folk mixed with Black Metal. the folk definitely comes first with this band, and it is a dark, moody, depressing album. Almost a female vocaled version of Agalloch, while being a 2 piece band. Don't ignore this one, especially with it being FREE on bandcamp. It's a folk Metal adventure you won't forget.

9.5/10

MPF
12-12-2013, 01:59 PM
111.) City of Fire- Trial Through Fire

Burton C Bell of Fear Factory's Groove Metal band. Honestly it's better than the Industrialist was last year. It's a lot more accessible and mainstream sounding that anything Fear Factory has ever done, which can be a good or bad thing. in this case, it's different for sure. Not bad, but different.

6/10

112.) Evile- Skull

UK Thrash. It's amazing how these guys have NOT caught on in the states despite putting out so many solid albums. They are like the Dark Angel of Modern Thrash bands, so damn good yet barely anyone outside the scene knows them. Skull has some of their best songs including the title track. While not a perfect album, it is a badass Thrash album that any Thrash fan will love.

8/10

113.) Lightning Swords of Death- Baphometic Chaosium

One of the best Black Metal bands to ever exist. Their blend of Black Metal takes on all forms of evil and chaos and so pummeling that you feel like you've been through all hell when it is over and will make you wanna hit the play button again. For some of the most brilliant Black Metal you will ever hear, pick up this album immediately.

9.5/10

114.) Ash Borer- Bloodlands

Some more killer Atmospheric Black Metal. Long length songs willed with evil dynamics, so-so production, and overall chaos. This is an album for you if you can get past the production levels and enjoy the music being created.

7/10

115.) Annihilator- Feast

Jeff Waters, one of the best guitarists the world will never know. This is Canadian Thrash Metal but accessible. Many will glance over this album, but it deserves at least a listen for Jeff Water's amazing guitar solos, he really is one of the best around.

7/10

116.) Satyricon- S/T

Many consider the band to be one of the most legendary names in Black Metal. I on the other hand have always found them kinda boring, and I feel the same with this one. I like that they aren't doing traditional Black Metal and exploring their sound, but it does nothing for me and falls flat. Sorry guys, I'm not tr00 enough.

4/10

117.) Sevendust- Black Out The Sun

This is essentially a Best Of Sevendust album with all new material. Sevendust has always been one of the most underrated hard Rock bands that should be so much bigger than they are, this album again proves that point. From very accessible Pop Rock to near Death Metal, Sevendust makes another killer album. If they do break up anytime soon this is the perfect Swan Song.

9/10

118.) Deeds Of Flesh- Portals to Canaan

Brutal Technical Death Metal that is precisely well done. I have high hopes for these guys because this is so well crafted. Not perfect, but damn close. Bands of the genre should really check this album out and take some pointers, they could learn a thing or two.

9/10

119.) Turisas- Turisas2013

One of the stranger albums of 2013. This Folk Metal album goes all over the board from commercial music, to their traditional Symphonic Folk Metal sound to some very strange left and right turns. It's abrasive at first but if you give it a chance it is well worth the listen. its a very different album for the band, but it's a good thing.

8/10

120.) On Wings Of Wax- The Empty Bed

Instrumental Progressive Post Metal. This is a very cool discovery from Australia. Take Karnivool, Periphery, Cloudkicker, and Isis in the same band and you got this one man project down to a T. This is incredible stuff that would be a total shame to ignore. So please check it out.

9/10

MPF
12-13-2013, 12:56 PM
121.) Battlesoul- Tir Na Nog

Canadian Folk Metal. Not this isn't the similar named Battlecross, these guys are much more up my alley. Heavy, thrashy, and Folky. I am actually shocked that these guys haven't caught on, maybe again it has to do with having a very similar name to Battlecross. These guys are awesome and put out one hell of a fun album to rock out to. Bravo!

8/10

122.) Damnations Day- Invisible, The Dead

Bringing a lot of Power and Prog Metal influence, Damnations Day hit the mark on creating music that can go from Fates Warning to Manowar on the turn of a dime. It does get pretty samey after a while but in small doses this is a killer album worth enjoying.

7/10

123.) Primitive Man- Scorn

Super Sludgy and Heavy Doom Metal. This album just pummels everything in its path. One of the heaviest and doomiest albums you will hear all year!

8/10

124.) Apocynthion- Sidereus Nuncius

Post Black Metal. It's done in a more upbeat than depressive feeling like a lot of the Post/Atmospheric Black Metal albums I've been reviewing lately. it's crafted very well. The production is a bit on the low side but the music more than makes up for it. This is a sleeper album that hopefully people will pick up on at some point, it deserves the love.

9/10

125.) Black Sabbath- 13

Yeas I am one of those guys who wish that Bill Ward played on the album. Even with that being the case, I don't think he would have saved this album honestly. It's a sub par album. I love that 3/4ths of sabbath got back together but the album does sound forced and uninspired, which is not how I wanted them to go out if this is indeed their last album. Such a shame to tarnish their legacy.

3/10

126.) Della Nebbia- The Casp Of the Void

Some more killer Atmospheric Black Metal for you. This isn't your traditional Atmospheric Black Metal. it is Dark and heavy while having the eerie atmosphere in the background taking you away. Every track brings something special out of the band and grabs hold of you until it's over. I hope this band continues on because they definitely got it right and they kick a huge amount of ass.

9/10

127.) Russian Circles- Memorial

Russian Circles really outdid themselves this time creating the darkest album of their career. For the first time since Station this feels like a band album again. Dark, Heavy, Post Metal and the incredibly trendy Chelsea Wolfe singing on the final track (a first for the band). Just take a listen and let the music take you away to the dark undergrounds of Post Metal.

9.5/10

128.) Circle II Circle- Seasons Will Fall

Zachary Stevens and Co. are back with the latest C2C album. This may arugably be my favorite album from the band. Everything feels right on this one from beginning to end and incredible playing from everyone in the band playing the great blend of Power Metal and Prog Metal that Savatage kicks ass for. Great job guys, now just tour the US so I can see you live!!!

9/10

129.) Psy:Code- Cause And Neglect

Very Damn Heavy Djent with Hardcore vocals. It's an interesting blend that really brings out the brutality of the genre while making it Hatebreed and mid 2000's Metalcore friendly. Its wonderfully crafted music and well deserving of a good listen even if you hate this style of music, you may get captivated by it enough to throughouly enjoy it.

9/10

130.) Reflections- Exi(s)t

A very young Twin Cities band that has been catching their genre's Djenty After The Burial style and landing on some pretty big tours thanks to it. Their newest album showcases a lot more of the band's diversity than their previous debut had. It still has some samey moments to it, but overall the band is more polished up and actually writing music like a band should, for themselves.

7/10

131.) Battlecross- War Of Will

Who would have thought that 11 albums a part would be Battlesoul and Battlecross, haha. I should get back to this band saying that I have absolutely nothing wrong with this band and think they are awesome on record and even better live. War Of Will showcases this point exactly. Heavy, catchy and just very solid songwriting, which I love in a band. these guys get it right. The Pantera love is all over this album as well I should add, which for once, is a good thing.

8/10

132.) GWAR- Battle Maximus

GWAR's best album since Lust In Space. They absolutely nailed it on this one. Created great songs that are fun, heavy and stick with you. My biggest regret of this year was having to cancel my interview with Oderus this year because of my ongoing illness. It would have been the interview of my career. But again this album is perfectly made. Bravo guys, keep up this level for the rest of your career!

9.5/10

133.) Hate- Solarflesh

A fantastic Death Metal album that everyone seems to have forgotten about this year Sadly making this amazing album did come at the cost of losing their longtime bassist, its a shame too because it's easily some of their best work. It's heavy, brutal and just what you'd want in a Death metal album. Pick this one up for one of the Sleeper Death metal albums of the year.

8/10

134.) Bloody Hammers- Spiritual Relics

Again we got some fantastic 70s inspired Sabbath Doom Metal. The music is absolutely top notch but the vocals do get to me on this one. I am hearing more of a Marilyn Manson vibe than I wanna hear. but the music does somewhat make up for it. It's really damn good, and if you don't mind those type of vocals, this album will be perfect for you.

6/10

135.) A Pale Horse Named Death- Lay My Soul to Waste

The combination of Type O Negative and Life Of Agony should be enough to make goth fans jump for saddened joy. to me, I love Type Of Negative way too much to thoroughly enjoy this album, despite how good it really is. It's hard not to think of what would have happened if Peter Steele was still alive today. If you are stronger than I and look past that, this album is fantastic and well worth the listen.

6/10

136.) Inquisition- Obscure Verses for the Multiverse

The most different Black Metal band out there in my opinion. This 2 piece band does what they want in terms of Black Metal. This album in particular feels like you are sonically going though the multiverse at a million miles an hour. It still has all the dark evil satanic vibes that the band is known for but done through the future....and no bass. Its a killer album that no one is talking about.

8/10

137.) Hanging Garden- At Every Door

Very Melodic Doomy Death Metal. Not afraid to let the Melodicness sink in over this fantastic Doom/Death Metal album this album really shines from all aspects. And again, I don't get how no one is talking about this masterpiece. it is so damn good with no attention at all. Give it a spin, kick back and enjoy!

9.5/10

138.) Operadyse- Pandemonium

Unlike the name suggests, the vocals of this band are not operatic at all. Very normal Symphonic Power Metal sounding...just like the band itself. The keys and strings really take over this album along with the melodic clean vocals. Nothing truly groundbreaking on this one just very solid Symphonic Power Metal with some heavy string usage. it is a very cool listen.

7/10

139.) Iron Reagan- Worse Than Dead

One of the best bands of the year and easily one of my favorite band names ever. Iron Regan released their first album this year and it kicks so much ass. Crossover Thrash making fun of all politics, just as a band of this caliber should be doing. I love these guys so much and you should too. Super short, super heavy and thrashy and super fun, that's what it's all about!

9.5/10

140.) Tomahawk- Oddfellows

Mike Patton and his traveling band of Tomahawks are back. Going back to their original sound of not just being a Native American sounding band like what was done on Anonymous. It's a very strange album without question, but honestly, when doesn't Patton put out something that is strange? And even with that said it is arguably the most accessible Tomahawk album to date. its an album you just gotta go in and explore for yourself to see if it is for you.

7/10

slapguitarer
12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
no

300%_Density
12-13-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm just baffled at how the Sabbath album was rated so poorly. I think this is literally the only one I've read that trashed it so bad. Personally I don't understand how uninspired it sounds. I don't care about the Ward stuff personally. If they think the album would sound better w/o him than I'm all for it. This album totally belongs w/ the rest of their discography. I guess I don't see what you are seeing.

Regardless these are entertaining reads.

BloodoftheKings
12-13-2013, 02:31 PM
132.) GWAR- Battle Maximus

GWAR's best album since Lust In Space. They absolutely nailed it on this one. Created great songs that are fun, heavy and stick with you. My biggest regret of this year was having to cancel my interview with Oderus this year because of my ongoing illness. It would have been the interview of my career. But again this album is perfectly made. Bravo guys, keep up this level for the rest of your career!
9.5/10

u wot m8? That album was trash. It was their worst since We Kill Everything.

John The Drummer
12-13-2013, 06:31 PM
126.) Della Nebbia- The Casp Of the Void[/B]

Some more killer Atmospheric Black Metal for you. This isn't your traditional Atmospheric Black Metal. it is Dark and heavy while having the eerie atmosphere in the background taking you away. Every track brings something special out of the band and grabs hold of you until it's over. I hope this band continues on because they definitely got it right and they kick a huge amount of ass.

[B]9/10

*Dalla Nebbia - The Cusp of the Void*

Otherwise, <3 :)
Loving the reviews so far! I think my love for Satyricon's new album is a very odd love :lol:. I find it better than almost anything else they've ever done... yes, even Nemesis Divina.

I still have yet to hear anything from the latest Hate album, but REALLY fucking want to get it.

Spiner202
12-13-2013, 08:15 PM
121.) Battlesoul- Tir Na Nog

Canadian Folk Metal. Not this isn't the similar named Battlecross, these guys are much more up my alley. Heavy, thrashy, and Folky. I am actually shocked that these guys haven't caught on, maybe again it has to do with having a very similar name to Battlecross. These guys are awesome and put out one hell of a fun album to rock out to. Bravo!

8/10

I haven't heard their album, but they're not very good live. Really, it was just the singer being drunk that ruined it, but when you open for a legendary band like Helloween, I'd have thought they'd try to put on their best effort.

133.) Hate- Solarflesh

A fantastic Death Metal album that everyone seems to have forgotten about this year Sadly making this amazing album did come at the cost of losing their longtime bassist, its a shame too because it's easily some of their best work. It's heavy, brutal and just what you'd want in a Death metal album. Pick this one up for one of the Sleeper Death metal albums of the year.

8/10

I liked this one too, though it was the first Hate album I've heard. For some reason I never really come back to it though.

MPF
12-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Almost nothing but hate on the last few posts, let's see how these go....

141.) Maudlin- A Sign Of Time

No this isn't one of my favorite bands maudlin of the Well, this is a band called Maudlin, which is a more of a Stoner, Doomy sludge band. The band goes from an early day Mastodon or Baroness feel to a dreary feel that does work. The biggest problem i have with this album is the vocals...sometimes they are dead on and other times they are dead off, completely tone deaf. But overall, if you are a fan of the genre, this may spark your interest. It's not your average album.

6/10

142.) Dug Pinnick- Naked

I am a big fan of everything and anything King's X related, they are my 2nd favorite rock band behind Dredg. Dug is a personal hero of mine because of his musicality, songwriting, and they fact he gives zero fucks about what people think of him and what he does and beleives. His latest solo album, while not his best work this year, it is a damn heavy and fun album to listen to. If you are a fan of the mid era King's X (Dogman, etc) then you should dig this album a lot, although unlike those albums, Ty and Jerry's backups are sorely missed, but alas, that comes with a solo album.

7/10

143.) Blood Ceremony- The Eldritch Dark

This may just be the best Blood Ceremony album to date. They never fail to disappoint. This album is a bit more accessible than previous albums have been but this one doesn't lack the ass kicking Jethro Tull inspired evil 70's Prog Rock that made me fall in love with the band. Overall just killer from start to finish. Wonderful stuff!

9.5/10

144.) Byzantine- S/T

Arguably the most underrated band to come out of the 2000's. these guys have NEVER got the recognition they have deserved. every album is so very different from the next and this time around they show off their Prog Groove Thrash. there is so much talent in this band that no one knows about that not even a review by me can do it justice. Just give them a listen and appreciate how awesome these guys really are. Trust me.

9.5/10

145.) H.I.M.- Tears On Tape

The AC/DC of Goth Rock are back. It's not bad, but its not really remarkable either. I was only really a fan of the older HIM albums, when I heard Wings Of A Butterfly I lost interest, and it never really came back to me, even with the heavier Venus Doom. It's on ok album, nothing bad, nothing really good either. Just a good album if you already dig them, but it won't win you over if you aren't already a fan.

5/10

146.) Hibria- Silent Revenge

One of my favorite Power Metal bands, Hibria is back with their latest album. While not radically different from their previous work, it is equally as awesome. fast, heavy, thrashy and full of cheesy power. If you dig the genre at all, it's impossible not to love these guys upon first listen. They are just that damn good.

9/10

147.) Deadlock- The Arsonist

Female Fronted Melodic, Modern Metal. This album focuses more on the industrial "modern" side of the band, which can be good in small doses, but for how much it's used on this album, it kills the mood for me. I miss the more melodic side without the industrial parts, but hey that's just me. They are still a solid band with lots of killer material. This album still proves it.

6/10

148.) Warbringer- IV: Empires Collapse

Damn this may be the best and most versatile Warbringer album to date. it's a shame that it is getting overlooked on the grand scheme. this is the Warbringer album I've been waiting 4 albums for. Fantastic thrash Metal, but so much more. Thank you guys for making a grand opus of an album, now let's hope that sticks around for the next album as well.

9.5/10

149.) Hatesphere- Muderlust

Another great return of a great underrated band, Hatesphere, while this album won't be winning any awards, it is one solid Groovin Metal album that pummels from start to finish. When I saw these guys in 2010 opening for Nevermore I knew they were a killer band, Muderlust proves how killer they really are.

9/10

150.) Cult Of Luna- Vertikal

Post Metal done right. Taking What Isis was doing so very well and expanding upon it even more, although Cult Of Luna was around roughly when Isis was getting vectorized. Post, Doom, Prog, it's got it all and so much more...the EP to this album Vertikal was completely unnecessary and should be avoided at all cost, this is the one to get.

9.5/10

Spiner202
12-15-2013, 05:14 PM
146.) Hibria- Silent Revenge

One of my favorite Power Metal bands, Hibria is back with their latest album. While not radically different from their previous work, it is equally as awesome. fast, heavy, thrashy and full of cheesy power. If you dig the genre at all, it's impossible not to love these guys upon first listen. They are just that damn good.

This is the first positive review I've seen of this record. Everything I've read suggests it was more groove-oriented.

As much as I enjoyed Hibria initially, I'm probably not ever gonna listen to this one because their material isn't the easiest to find, and I found Blind Ride to be relatively uninspired.

148.) Warbringer- IV: Empires Collapse

Damn this may be the best and most versatile Warbringer album to date. it's a shame that it is getting overlooked on the grand scheme. this is the Warbringer album I've been waiting 4 albums for. Fantastic thrash Metal, but so much more. Thank you guys for making a grand opus of an album, now let's hope that sticks around for the next album as well.

While I still prefer Waking Into Nightmares, you are 100% right. This album is brilliant. Far better than anything Vektor has done.

slapguitarer
12-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Far better than anything Vektor has done.

How does it feel to be wrong?

Ommie
12-15-2013, 07:00 PM
144.) Byzantine- S/T[/B]

Arguably the most underrated band to come out of the 2000's. these guys have NEVER got the recognition they have deserved. every album is so very different from the next and this time around they show off their Prog Groove Thrash. there is so much talent in this band that no one knows about that not even a review by me can do it justice. Just give them a listen and appreciate how awesome these guys really are. Trust me.
Getting a strong Gojira vibe from this one. I can dig it.

John The Drummer
12-15-2013, 07:12 PM
I am going to have a lot of reading and listening once I get time to check these out :D

I remember Byzantine back when they first started up! Didn't like them, but got a huge nostalgic feeling when I read their name :)

jhdeity
12-16-2013, 08:57 AM
I agree with so many of your reviews that it's almost scary. That being said you must have clunked your head for rating a Gwar cd that far over a Sabbath cd. I know people were mad about the Bill Ward thing but some of those songs are great songs with awesome riffs. Sabbath is a 9 and Gwar is a 0 to me.

MPF
12-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Different strokes...here we go again

151.) Eternal Tears Of Sorrow- Saivon Lapsi

Dark, Gothic, Metal with lots of Synth driven symphonics. These guys have been in the game for 20 years next year now and they sound just as strong as ever. Very Melodic and filled with sorrow. It grabs you and won't let go until it's done. Very killer stuff for those that want a bit of sadness in their music once in a while.

8/10

152.) Structure Of Inhumanity- Completion Integration

From Musical mastermind Jonah Weingarten comes this killer Melodic Death Metal band that features an all start cast of musicians that are too many to name. This album is so diverse and musical all the way through without it ever getting boring. Jonah has never let me down on any project he is involved in, it's so cool to hear him tackle MDM, and done so very damn well.

9/10

153.) After The Burial- Wolves Within

The only thing I wanted this album to be was better than In Dreams. And they did that with Flying Colors. This album is insanely good. It's not their debut, but it's damn close. It doesn't just sound like a Djent album, it's so much more than that. It's a Progressive Metal album that just kicks ass from beginning to end. Now hopefully the non-djent kids will see how good this album really is.

9.5/10

154.) Autopsy- The Headless Ritual

Did every Death Metal fan forget that Autopsy put out an extremely badass album this year or what? This isn't just a crushing Death Metal album like most of the best albums have been this year, it's done creatively and done with dynamics. It almost has a Celtic Frost meets Morbid Angel feeling throughout, which I really dig. Its too bad everyone seems to have forgotten about this album, it's too damn good to ignore.

9/10

155.) Hatebreed- The Divinity Of Purpose

You get another great Hatebreed album with this one. Nothing drastically different, it is Hatebreed playing Hatebreed style Hardcore and Metalcore. It is definitely solid from start to finish and any fan of the band will enjoy the hell out of this. I know I do when i need to headbang for a while.

7/10

156.) Steak Number Eight- The Hutch

The third time these guys have been on my lists in recent years, their newest album is a Dark haunting Post Metal album that rocks the entire way through. Easily their most dynamic and heart felt album to date, while not perfect, it is a killer album worth enjoying if you dig Sludgy dynamic Post Metal

8/10

157.) Sodom- Epitome Of Torture

Blacked Thrash Metal, it really doesn't get much better than that in the Thrash world. Sodom is one of the most legendary bands in Thrash and they prove that they are at the top of their game with their latest album. Their anthem S.O.D.O.M. is one of my favorite songs of 2013. It's with great sadness that I may never get to see Sodom live, but at least I can enjoy them on record, and this one is absolutely killer.

9.5/10

158.) And So I Watch You From Afar- All Hail Bright Futures

Oddly positive Experimental and almost all instrumental Rock. Like all of their albums, this is an odd album to behold, it's dynamic with lots of changes, more vocals this time around than used before, but its chanted by the entire band, and just in some sections. For a trip down, "What the hell was that and why am I so happy" Blvd. check this out!

7/10

159.) Suidakra- Eternal Defiance

Melodic Folkish Death Metal. Yeah that is a sexy combination. Suidakra have been pulling this off like Eternal Tears of Sorrow, since 1994, so almost 20 years. its heart pumping, its folky, its down right awesome. Give this one a shot if you dig any kind of Folk music, this will capture you in a way you didn't think possible.

9/10

160.) Wanzwa- Wanzwa III

Another what the hell was that instrumental album. This album is filled with musical cavalcades of craziness, almost like a Hella album with double bass and every musician showing off their skills. For a musical mind screw, pick this one up and go into it with an open ear, you will need it.

7/10

MPF
12-22-2013, 01:34 PM
161.) Inter Arma- Sky Burial

One of the most badass discoveries of the year is Inter Arma. Doom Metal, Sludge Metal, Post Metal and Death Metal rolled into one dynamic package. This is not your typical heavy band, this band knows how to kick your ass and then some. Almost like an American Boris without the J Pop influences. Be sure to be on the lookout for these guys, they are an unstoppable force.

9.5/10

162.) Lalu- Atomic Ark

One of France's best and completely unknown Prog musicians Lalu is back with another Prog Metal Masterpiece. Featuring an all start recording lineup, this album is full of fantastic Prog Metal epicness from start to finish. It's a shame at how little attention this album recieved, it deserves to be on all Prog Fan's top albums.

9/10

163.) Exvivious- Liminal

Instrumental Jazzy Fusionish Progressive Metal. Featuring Ex members of Cynic, and Stef from Textures, Exvivious is doing what so many instrumental bands try to do but fail, making fun, instrumental music that doesn't get boring without vocals. These guys are masters of their crafts and this second album from the band should be highly regarded, it deserves it.

9.5/10

164.) Portal- Vexovoid

Too Black Metal to be Death Metal, too Death Metal to be Black Metal. This may sound familiar to the start of my review of this album earlier this year, but it is the best way to describe it. Its ultra dark and evil with all the right types of heavy rolled into one. There is a reason this was in my top 20 for so long this year. Only it got shut out by other abums, but it is still that damn good.

9.5/10

165.) Darkthrone- The Underground Resistance

More Venom worship from Darkthrone, if you liked the last few Darkthrone albums, you'll like this, if you didn't this will not win you over.

5/10

166.) Cathedral- The Last Spiral

Sadly the last album from this monstrous band, Cathedral have been legends since their debut album. This album simply crushes. Fantastic Doom Metal and Traditional Sabbath loving Heavy Metal. Metal just doesn't crush like this anymore and sadly for Cathedral, this is for the last time.

9/10

167.) Dark Tranquillity- Construct

Swedish Melodic Death Metal adds Atmosphere. It's the best way to describe this one. The band lost me on their last album, but have heavily won me back over with Construct, they remade themselves again for the better. I hope they can keep up this pace for a while, they finally got it right.

9/10

168.) Ulcerate- Vermis

People either love this album or despise it because of it's production. I for one love this killer Death Metal album. Its unrelenting and pummels all in it's path. Yes there is some production problems but what bands don't suffer through that once in a while in their careers? Listen to this one for the music and the brutality, you'll be glad that you did.

9/10

169.) Heaven Shall Burn- Veto

Germany's Premier Metalcore band, Heaven Shall Burn are back and I dare say better than ever. Crisp, clear production, killer songs, excellent musicianship and a killer cover of Blind Guardian's Valhalla, featuring the man himself, Hansi!!! For some of the best Metalcore you'll ever hear, check out Heaven Shall Burn!

9/10

170.) Evan Brewer- Your Itinerary

I'm not exactly sure what happened to Evan in the last few months, giving up on the Faceless, but Evan made his second solo album a pure punch in the musical tapestry of life. It is of course driven by Bass guitar, but the keyboards and drums added for the first time make this a lot more fun of an experience to listen to. It's like the Faceless done as Jazz Fusion and no vocals. I love this stuff.

9/10

jhdeity
12-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Yeah I love the new Sodom and have come to the same conclusion. They're been at the top of my "Must See" list for over 20 years now. After the visa issues at MDF I pretty much gave up hope. Ya never know but I'm not holding my breath. Just glad to see them still making great music.

MPF
12-26-2013, 10:09 AM
I still have 70 albums left that did not make my top 50, but I am going to switch it to my Top 50 now. I want to get the list done by the end of the year, and with my current track record of being sick, it's now or never.

So enjoy the next 50 posts from me showcasing the best music of 2013!

MPF
12-26-2013, 10:29 AM
50. The Dear Hunter- Migrant

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/Deer_Hunter_Migrant_album_cover.jpg/220px-Deer_Hunter_Migrant_album_cover.jpg

Easily the lightest album in my top 50. The Dear Hunter is one of the best projects to ever come out of the Post hardcore scene with The Receiving End Of Sirens. The Dear Hunter is an epic Progressive Rock project that can go from the hardest of rock to the lightest of Piano and Vocal interplays. Migrant is no different, while it is the first album from the group that is not involved with any of the Acts, or the Color Spectrum, It holds it's own as a fantastic Rock album that will actually make you appreciate some Indie music, if you never have before.

MPF
12-26-2013, 10:38 AM
49.) Extol- S/T

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e1/Extol_%28album%29.jpeg/220px-Extol_%28album%29.jpeg

Extol is one of the best underappreciated bands to ever come out of Canada, let alone the Prog world. It contains everything from Pop to Black Metal segments that flow together so naturally. The one downside to this band is that they are indeed a Christian band, so that fact alone will make a lot of people ignore this album, but those willing to look past that fact will learn how extremely talented this band is and how they created one of the best albums of the year.

MPF
12-26-2013, 10:47 AM
48.) Bad Religion- True North

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/33/Bad_Religion_-_True_North.jpg/220px-Bad_Religion_-_True_North.jpg

Bad Religion is my all time favorite Punk band to ever exist. Although i will say their last album to me was a big clunker. They redeemed themselves big time with True North. Since i am a relatively new fan of the band compared to how long they have been around (I discovered them through Crazy Taxi) New Maps Of Hell is my favorite Bad Religion album. True North isn't as heavy as that album, but it is short, sweet, to the point, and just kicks your ass in the way that have made Bad Religion famous. Appreciate this album, it's worth it.

MPF
12-26-2013, 10:54 AM
47.) Fractal Gates- Beyond The Self

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/6/7/0/367029.jpg?3634

Progressive Death Metal at some of it's finest. Fractal Gates is a band that I've only seen one other person talk about this year, and he introduced me into the band, and that is a damn shame. This album is way too damn good to ignore if you like Progressive Death metal. it's so Melodic and so damn catchy. Every song gets better from the last and makes you wanna put it on repeat over and over. Such a killer album!

MPF
12-26-2013, 11:04 AM
46- Blood Of God- The Fall And Rise Of Man

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/6/7/7/367750.jpg?1904

Power Metal and Melodic Death Metal mixed together. It's a godly combination (no pun intended...ok maybe a little). every song on here has the fury of Power Metal with the brutalness of Melodic Death Metal, while mainly focusing on clean vocals, it's a great underused combination for creating some killer music. While this album will get ignored by many, it won't by me, if you love Power Metal and MDM, this album is for you.

MPF
12-26-2013, 11:08 AM
45.) Amon Amarth- Deceiver Of The Gods

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2f/DeceiveroftheGodsAmonAmarth.jpg/220px-DeceiveroftheGodsAmonAmarth.jpg

Amon Amarth is the AC/DC and Slayer of Viking Metal, you get very little difference in each album, yet each album is so badass. This is your standard Amon Amarth album to a T, but it has everything you love from the band. Not really more needs to be said about it, If you're an Amon Amarth fan you will love this album, if you were hoping they were going to change, you will be disappointed.

MPF
12-26-2013, 02:52 PM
44.) Dreamshade- The Gift Of Life

http://www.welovemetal.com/newsite/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/dreamshade.jpg

Melodically driven Melodic Death Metal. It's hard to even call this one a Melodeath album with how much melodicness is going on. the songwriting and structures are so damn good and near joyful on this album. It's a fun album all the way through. Poppy, catchy, and full of fun, Now that's what i call a fun Metal album, and that's exactly what this is.

MPF
12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
43.) Hypocrisy- End Of Disclosure

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a1/HypocrisyEndofDisclosure.png/220px-HypocrisyEndofDisclosure.png

Death metal done right once again. Peter Tgtgren can do no wrong and this album proves that point again. Hell he singlehandedly made Children of Bodom listenable again, which is a daunting task in and of itself. This album is a more straight forward Metal album than the last few albums have been and honestly, it;s for the best, just fast, heavy, brutal, and epic. Damn I love Hypocrisy.

MPF
12-26-2013, 03:09 PM
42.) Anneke Van Giersbergen- Drive

http://hasitleaked.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/126-1372850652.png

A fun driven Alternative Rock album. It's like Devin Townsend's Epicloud if Anneke did all the singing and played guitar as well. Anneke is one of the best vocalists in the entire world and her songwriting makes her shine all the way through. We should all feel fortuneate she is giving us this great music to have and behold, even if it is Poppy. It's too bad American pop music can't sound like this.

MPF
12-26-2013, 03:22 PM
41.) Omnium Gatherum- Beyond

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/Omnium_Gatherum_-_Beyond.jpg/220px-Omnium_Gatherum_-_Beyond.jpg

Another super melodic Melodic Death Metal album. Not so much vocally, but instrumentally. each track is rich in melody and heaviness in the right mixture that it makes you wanna keep listening over and over. the vocals are pure Death metal but the music is very rich and deep and damn near uplifting. Another album for the record books of how Melodic Death metal should be made.

christopher
12-26-2013, 07:32 PM
101.) The Goddamn Gallows- #5

Bluegrass with Black Metal roots....the hell? This is strangely addicting. At it's heart it is a bluegrass album but the Black Metal and Punk are there without question. It's quirky in a sense that you never heard anything like this before or since. If you need something that is damn near Mike Patton territory in terms of messed up music, check this one out for sure.
[B]
7/10

I'm really stoked you gave that one a listen to!! It's my number two for the year. You should definitely catch them live if they come near you!

MPF
12-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I was in the hospital yet again this past weekend. I will have my top 40 up by the end of the year, I promise.

MPF
12-30-2013, 04:49 PM
40. Amaranthe- The Nexus

http://images.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/dru000/u069/u06922exkd8.jpg

Power Pop Melodic Death Metal. This is one of the most fun albums of the year. Where Power Metal, Melodeath, and Pop Metal take over in their spots and create a form of music that any fan of Hard and Heavy music should love. I can't see anything to hate about these guys, it's fun, they are fun, they gave me one of my best interviews this year, and they put on such a fun live show. The Nexus is an album for all Rock and Metal fans to unite with and enjoy some killer fun music.

MPF
12-30-2013, 05:01 PM
39.) Alice In Chains- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/AliceinChainsTheDevilPutDinosaursHere.png

AIC is the greatest Radio Rock band to come out of the 90s, period. Many people thought after Layne Staley died this band had no chance to continue on and be any good. They have proven that theory wrong for the second time now with The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here. It's pure AIC from start to finish, picking right up with where the last album left off, and honestly I wouldn't want it any other way. Phantom Limb just may be the best AIC song since the Dirt album. This is the definition of a rock solid hard Rock album.

MPF
12-30-2013, 05:08 PM
38.) - The Black Dahlia Murder- Everblack

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmQA9tmQmEM4pk5jochQ5VavIS8yaBv awSO_kFkxmvoqMG2lKr

Melodic Death Metal and Black Metal in a perfect harmony of Metal tuneage. Arguably their strongest material to date, the Black Dahlia Murder is as strong as ever leaving their cheesier kinda ironic hipster beginnings to rest a couple albums back and continuing on being themselves. Till this album the song I will Return I felt was their strongest and best song, and one of my favorite riffs ever, now on Everblack they matched it with the equally badass Map Of Scars, just like I Will Return the Intro and Outro make the song, while the middle is just beautiful chaos.. These guys have done it again making a solid album that is not too short or too long, kicks ass all the way through, and leaves you on an epic note. Bravo guys!

MPF
12-30-2013, 05:16 PM
37.) Fleshgod Apocalypse- Labyrinth

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Fleshgod-Apocalypse-Labyrinth.jpg

Fleshgod Apocalypse is the closest thing on Earth to being the soundtrack to the Zombie Apocalypse. Their last album was the quintessential piece of Symphonic Death Metal that anyone exploring the genre should know. Labyrinth carries on this tradition the same. A lot of people have ragged on this album due to the mix, the biggest complaint being the guitars are low in the mix. But considering how many instruments are in this album, including all the orchestration, I do not see that as a bad thing, this album slays from beginning to end, and while not as many over the top blasting as the last album, this album has the songwriting and precision of orchestrally trained musicians going into an Apocalyptic War, and I love every second of it. Not to mention they put on one of the most mindblowing shows you ill ever get the chance to see. I hope they never ever stop.

MPF
12-30-2013, 05:23 PM
36.) Arsis- Unwelcome

http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Arsis-Unwelcome.jpg

One of my favorite group of guys out there playing music, Weather it is seething them play twice this year, Helping them out of a jam during the last MN show, or interviewing them in a drunken stupor after a show. I love these guys and the music is top not Tech Death Everyone in the band is an absolute wizard of their craft and they know how to be fun at the same time, as evident by their cover of Corey hart's Sunglasses At Night. This is the kind of album you show off to people who want to have their ears blown away by musicianship as well as brutality and musicality. This has it all, and I can't wait to see what they do next.

MPF
12-30-2013, 05:34 PM
35.) GERM- Grief

http://headbangorgtfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/germ-grief.jpg

The Australian version of Neige's Amesoeurs, except not every song is sung by Amesoeurs' Audrey Sylvain. This is a Post Rock, Shoegaze, Black Metal album from hell. So uplifting from yet so desperately haunting at the same time. I absolutely love it. The vocals, both the male and female vocals, may be hard to get into if you aren't into screams, but the clean vocals will sucker you in. It's an odd combination, but hardly the strangest album in my top 40, enjoy this for what it is. a Bi-polar masterpiece of love and hate.

MPF
12-30-2013, 05:42 PM
34.) Vaura- The Missing

*Can't post album art*

In Speaking of crazy, strange albums. This is definitely one of them. This goes all over the board from Post Rock to Black Metal to The Cure. In short Vaura is a mixture of Gorguts, maudlin of the Well, and Dysrhythmia. Experimental Art Rock for sure. Go into this album with an open ear or else you will never get it. it's a messed up album, but looking at the list of band members, how could it not be? It is so damn crazy, but good.

MPF
12-30-2013, 05:52 PM
33.) The Winery Dogs- S/T

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2dfcA3_G_HL7K-o2Zk6ki4sXkltNsPUdTXmtpu17YYkfZwC6P6g

A perfect hard Rock, but Proggy album. 3 musicians, Ritchie Kotzen, Billy Sheehan, and Mike Portnoy, playing Alternative Classic Hard Rock with a Prog edge. It's not meant to be a Mr. Big album, or Poison, or Dream Theater. It's just 3 guys who kick ass, making kickass music, what else do you really need?

MPF
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
32.) Twilight Of the Gods- Fire On the Mountain

http://www.rockhard.de/uploads/pics/Twilight_Of_The_Gods_Fire_On_The_Mountain.jpg

What happens when you take some of the classic veterans of Viking, Folk and Black Metal, and make an AC/DC style Viking Folk Metal album? You get this. Featuring members of Primordial, Dimmu Borgir, Aura Noir, Thyrfing, and Einherjer all making a very simple ass kicking Power Metal sort of album about the Twilight of the Gods. Again, it's a very simple, stripped down kind of album, expecially compared to what these guys are used to playing, but it kicks so much ass it makes you wanna grab a horde of Vikings and drink the blood of your enemies.

MPF
12-30-2013, 06:11 PM
31.) Amrophis- Circle

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFntw3utMPtvwyb1clXVK4jKnB11oys TBPosxrDL-p3h1vHV6cOw

So many people forgot about this album this year it is really sad because it is a classic Amorphis album. It's the Classic Folky progressive Metal mixed in with some Death and Doom Metal for good measure throughout the album. Amorphis is just one of those bands that no matter what they try, they can do no wrong, and I know many people will protest that statement. I don't care I love every album and Circle is no Different. it is just as killer as anything they have ever done, and so damn beautiful.

John The Drummer
12-30-2013, 06:16 PM
i need to snag dat Twilight Of the Gods album and check it out. I am a huge fanboy of Alan's vocals :D

MPF
12-30-2013, 06:17 PM
i need to snag dat Twilight Of the Gods album and check it out. I am a huge fanboy of Alan's vocals :D

As am I, and he doesn't disappoint.

MPF
12-30-2013, 08:28 PM
30.) Tyr- Valkyrja

http://www.metalblade.com/us/covers/Tyr-Valkyrja.jpg

Tyr is one of those bands that isn't afraid to show their roots, and their roots are Folk and Viking Metal in the lyrics, and Iron Maiden and Pantera in the music. This album is no different, but that is a good thing, it's a great combination. It's fast, it's heavy, it's cheesy at times especially with lyrics like Mare of My Night. It also features George Kollias on some of his slowest playing ever, stuff that isn't 300bpm Blast Beats in 5/8 (haha) Overall, while not the best Tyr album, it is a damn solid album that kicks ass, and that's all you really need in a Tyr album.

MPF
12-30-2013, 08:37 PM
29. Fates Warning- Darkness In A Different Light

http://www.metalpaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/fates-warning-darkness-in-a-different-light.jpg

Fates Warning has always been one of the greatest Prog Metal bands to ever exist. although every underrated to anyone that is not in the Prog World. The long awaited new album from the band more than delivers, it carries on all the greatness that Fates Warning is abut and more. Yes Ray Adler will never be able to hit the high notes of his youth, but honestly, I don't think he needs to. His mids and lows are too damn good to ignore and are showcased wonderfully here on this album. all the tracks have their charm and it never feels like it drags, that is a rarity in Prog today. I hope Fates Warning sticks around this time, they have been sorely missed.

MPF
12-30-2013, 08:49 PM
28.) Orphaned Land- All Is One

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q5U2dh3CP-Y/Ucml5jpZ8gI/AAAAAAAABUY/b6lhCbqu6M4/s1600/Orphaned-Land-All-is-One.jpg

There is only one thing that Orphaned Land has been missing in their sound to make them an absolute powerhouse, and they finally got it on this album, symphonics. Considering the nature of the band, you'd think symphonics would have been a major part of the band since day one, but are not. Along with that in tact the album is very accessible in terms of the music with minimal growls at all or any kind of Death Metal, more Prog Metal and Symphonics. An excellent Prog album across the board and a great gateway into the band.

MPF
12-30-2013, 08:56 PM
That's it for my countdown tonight. God willing, I will do the rest tomorrow if I have the strength. I hope you guys dig what you hear and discover some new music.

Addicted2metal
12-30-2013, 09:03 PM
40. Amaranthe- The Nexus

http://images.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/dru000/u069/u06922exkd8.jpg

Power Pop Melodic Death Metal. This is one of the most fun albums of the year. Where Power Metal, Melodeath, and Pop Metal take over in their spots and create a form of music that any fan of Hard and Heavy music should love. I can't see anything to hate about these guys, it's fun, they are fun, they gave me one of my best interviews this year, and they put on such a fun live show. The Nexus is an album for all Rock and Metal fans to unite with and enjoy some killer fun music. I personally love this album! it made number 6 on my list. did you got to meet Elize ryd?

MPF
12-30-2013, 09:06 PM
I personally love this album! it made number 6 on my list. did you got to meet Elize ryd?

I met all of them, but I Interviewed Jake and Morten, who are both hilarious.

Addicted2metal
12-30-2013, 10:15 PM
I met all of them, but I Interviewed Jake and Morten, who are both hilarious. That is awesome...

MPF
01-01-2014, 11:22 AM
27.) Scale The Summit- The Migration

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mWtDnWKVr7lNtEilpE4SjPA.jpg

Scale The Summit is the kind of band who only gets better and better. I didn't think there was a way that they would improve upon The Collective, but they did. It takes the best of The Collective, but adds positivity to it like Carving Desert Canyons. Fantastic Instrumental Progressive Metal that is not about wankery, all about creating beautiful music. STS, you've done it again!

MPF
01-01-2014, 11:29 AM
26.) Revocation- S/T

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/Revocation_Self-titled.jpg

Just like Scale The Summit, I didn't think Revocation could get any better, and they proved me wrong once again. Revocation is a fantastic Thrash, Progressive Melodic Death Metal band. They are not afraid to add any genre of music to their sound, even if just for a couple measures to get their point across. This album is full of technical wizardry, superb songwriting and musicianship, and of course and overall Metal soundscapes that just kick your ass. Revocation is such an underrated band who should have been doing headlining tours for years now, maybe with the help of this album, they will get the recognition they deserve.

MPF
01-01-2014, 11:36 AM
25.) James LaBrie- Impermanent Resonance

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Impermanent_Resonance_Cover.jpg

James LaBrie has been discovering his Heavy roots for the last few albums now. Static Impulse arguably being the heaviest of them all. This time around he had the help of guitarist Peter Wichers on board as a songwriter. The songs are a perfect blend of Dream Theater meets Soilwork, the screams this time are at a minimum done by Peter Wildoer. It's a bit poppier as well focusing on more melodic landscapes, but that is perfectly fine, the album is just as heavy. it's a great representation of what James LaBrie brings to the table outside of Dream Theater.

MPF
01-01-2014, 11:46 AM
24.) Cloudkicker- Subsume

http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/cloudkicker-subsume.jpg

Cloudkicker has been putting out fantastic music for so long now, with every album being completely different than the next. This time around it is focusing on the heavier side of Post Rock and Prog Metal. While there is not many songs on the album, they are all quite long yet never gets boring. Each song constantly builds and builds then explodes in musicality. Cloudkicker can never do any wrong, it is always perfect from start to finish.

MPF
01-01-2014, 11:52 AM
23.) Shaded Enmity- Forsaken and Forgotten

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UU5fln3nb3g/Ubcev3a9EMI/AAAAAAAAEIk/z1GNxNga4YM/s1600/a0735309892_2.jpg

An album completely out of left field for me. I had no idea about this album until I recieved the promo and I was completely blown away. Blackened Death Metal that is so damn Melodic. Warrel Dane of all people makes a guest appearance on this album as well on their single. This album again is as brutal as it is Melodic that it almost can bring you to tears. It is such a fantastic album that will go under the radar for so many people, please, Please, PLEASE check this album out if you want some of the best Blackened Death Metal you will ever, ever hear.

MPF
01-01-2014, 12:01 PM
22.) For The Imperium- Hail The Monsters

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/87375113/Hail+The+Monsters+hail_the_monster22536055frntl.jp g

One of the most crazy, technical, yet poppy and melodic bands currently going. For The Imperium aren't afraid to go from Pop Rock, to Lamb Of God Style Metal to Doom Metal to Electronica all on the turn of a dime. The only way to describe this band is a band who is not afraid to play anything they want, whenever they want. While this sounds like a giant hodgepodge of music, it's not, it's all concise and makes sense. Just give it a spin and you will understand, this is a tour de force of music that only comes around once every so often, enjoy it while we have it.

MPF
01-01-2014, 12:08 PM
21.) Killswitch Engage- Disarm The Descent

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/93904255/Disarm+The+Descent++Special+Edition+Cover.jpg

I will always credit KSE as being one of the first Non-Metallica Metal bands to get me into Metal, Alive Or Just Breathing, and The End OF Heartache changed my life. I always gravitated towards AOJB more because I love Jesse's voice and I love the songwriting that comes with his style. This album goes far and beyond what I ever thought the band was capable of. The songs are either brutal as hell or the right kind of Mainstream Rock, all killer, no filler. The fact the album starts off with Blasts is a great showcase for what the band is all about on this album. Now if only they can keep up this momentum for the next album cycle.

hellawaits77ny
01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Love the diversity. Reminds me, I forgot about the new Revocation. Good to hear it was solid.

MPF
01-02-2014, 10:22 AM
20.) Haken- The Mountain

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/5598/cover_3338102062013_r.jpg

Prog Rock done right. This is what Prog fans have been wanting for so very long, a band that is Prog that doesn't sound like a complete Dream Theater Clone and brings something new to the table. With their third album, they have reached the top of their game so far. It's a bit quirky at times, sometimes very Zappa-ish, but overall very original and breathing new life into a genre that desperately needs it. Check this one out for refreshing Prog Rock.

MPF
01-02-2014, 10:27 AM
19.) Shining- One One One

http://echoesanddust.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ShiningOne-One-One.jpg

Blackjazz is back, and this time it's not nearly as jazzy. It's more Industrial and dare I say poppy, but you can tell it's the same guys who know how to make you go, "What The Hell Was That?" This is absolutely more accessible than Blackjazz is and a good starting point for the band if you never heard of them before. Check this one out if you want something very experimental, yet listenable.

MPF
01-02-2014, 10:34 AM
18.) Last Chance To Reason- Level 3

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIQY2KqPPKBv3_DRli6qyXbcmEwP06f 9biV1BU5EXRgJqBbIhG1A

Video Game Metal at it's best. Prog Metal young masters Last Chance To Reason have sadly become a side project for all members involved. Michael Lessard is now the singer of The Contortionist, and the other members of the band have moved onto different aspects of life. It's sad because I love LCTR to death and will always be a supporter of the band. Level 3 really shines through with Michael Lessard more than anyone else. The music goes through many different twists and turns but on every song Lessard shines with his screams, growls, and amazing clean vocals. Level 3 is a bit more laid back overall compared to Level 2 but in a way is a bit more listenable overall with all the landscapes provided. Support this band, you never know when Level 4 can be made.

MPF
01-02-2014, 10:39 AM
17.) Soilwork- The Living Infinite

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Album_artwork_for_soilwork%27s_album,_%22The_livin g_Infinite%22.jpeg

Melodic Death Metal's First Double Disc album (Although barely, it's only 4 minutes past the 90 minute cut off mark), Soilwork have outdone themselves once again with taking brutality and melodicness into the perfect blend of listenable Metal. Everyone in the band really shines through on this album. The Melodic songs are over-joyously good while the brutal songs harken back to the beginning of the band. Soilwork proves again that they have lots of life left in the band, and this is in no way a sign of slowing down.

MPF
01-02-2014, 10:46 AM
16.) Alter Bridge- Fortress

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Alter_Bridge_-_Fortress_album_cover.jpg

I can't even consider this the best hard Rock album of the year, it is a damn amazing Prog Metal album, in reality. Alter Bridge have only gotten better over the years and they are indeed at the top of their game right now. The songs are ultra heavy for a Hard Rock band and progressive as hell in a lot of tracks. The radio singles don't even sound like they are meant to be radio singles. The whole album overall proves that radio Hard Rock doesn't have to suck. Although many choose to suck, Alter Bridge does not and they will be continuing to kick everyone's asses for years to come.

MPF
01-02-2014, 10:54 AM
15.) Kayo Dot- Hubardo

http://kayodot.net/kayodot/images/hubardo-web-res.jpg

This double album is the quintessential "What Am I Listening To?" album Kayo Dot is a very Experimental, Avant Garde, Progressive, Orchestral, Metal band. While I do feel the band has a few clunkers (Coyote being the biggest one) they won me back over last year with their EP Gamma Knife, and fully won me back with Hubardo. It takes all the messed up things I love about the band and makes it listenable. It's not something that can be adequately described in words, you just gotta divulge yourself in the album and let yourself be engulfed by the massive cluster of magnificent music you will hear.

Maideneer
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Album_artwork_for_soilwork%27s_album,_%22The_livin g_Infinite%22.jpeg

Melodic Death Metal's First Double Disc album (Although barely, it's only 4 minutes past the 90 minute cut off mark), Soilwork have outdone themselves once again with taking brutality and melodicness into the perfect blend of listenable Metal. Everyone in the band really shines through on this album. The Melodic songs are over-joyously good while the brutal songs harken back to the beginning of the band. Soilwork proves again that they have lots of life left in the band, and this is in no way a sign of slowing down.

The last half of Disc 2 is BANANAS good.

MPF
01-02-2014, 11:04 AM
14.) Hail Of Bullets- III: The Rommel Chronicles

http://www.metalblade.com/us/covers/HailOfBullets-IIITheRommelChronicles.jpg

A Concept Death Metal album focusing on the life of German Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, Hail Of Bullets proves once again that they are one of the finest Death metal bands currently going. The whole lineup is completely badass and knows everything there is to know about writing polished, well crafted and absolutely badass Death Metal. Making a concept album based off the man who very well could have been responsible for the assassination of Adolf Hitler (Obviously didn't pan out that way) makes it even better. I can't praise the band enough, Hail Of Bullets is a flagship band for what Death Metal should sound like, any Death Metal band should take note.

MPF
01-02-2014, 11:12 AM
13.) Agrypnie- Aetas Cineris

http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Agrypnie-Aetas-Cineris.jpg

Another album that completely blew me out of the water this year. Atmospheric Blackened Death Metal. Taking the best moments of Atmospheric Black Metal and incorporating it with some damn fine Death Metal. It's Dark, It's heavy, it's scary at times, but overall it takes you on a dark journey that you won't be able to forget. Kick back and chill to this, it's rare you can do that with a Death Metal band, but this these guys you can just relax and enjoy the evil spirits take over you.

MPF
01-02-2014, 11:19 AM
12.) Being- Anthropocene

http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000056110727-iyrzg1-crop.jpg?d53bf9f

Periphery meets Dredg. It really is the best way to describe these guys. I have been waiting for years for this album to come out to no avail, but after long production problems, the band finally said screw it and released it on their own. it does have the Progressive sounds that Periphery are known for now (not so much the Djent) and the vocal melodies that make Dredg so damn captivating, there is some screams but they are from guest singers on the album, the main vocal melodies are cleans and so damn good. This album just came out a couple weeks ago, but it is good enough to be in my top 12, without question. I love these guys and I really hope they can make it through all the turmoil.

MPF
01-02-2014, 11:28 AM
11.) Mechina- Empyrean

http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Mechina-e1343924956818.jpg

It takes so much for me to be floored by a band that has an industrial influence for me to be interested in them. Mechina is Atmospheric, Industrial, Symphonic, Death Metal. The music feels like a Sci-Fi Orchestral Soundtrack made in the future of a bleak universe. The song Anathema in particular (one of my favorite songs of 2013) proves this point, it is simply gorgeous and has the polar opposite sound of the band Amaranthe; Death Growls, Operatic Female vocals and Power Metal cleans in a Dark Symphonic Metal sound, not the Poppy sound Amaranthe is known for. The whole album is filled with these gorgeous soundscapes and it doesn't let you go until it's all over. And if you dig this, Mechina just released their brand new album, Xenon, on Bandcamp, Yesterday and it is even better.

MPF
01-02-2014, 11:35 AM
And there is as many albums as some people go through in an entire lifetime, and i still have my top 10 to go.

Any guesses as what the Top 10 will include?

AnataFan4Life
01-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Carcass and Gorguts

mastodon421
01-02-2014, 12:39 PM
And there is as many albums as some people go through in an entire lifetime, and i still have my top 10 to go.

Any guesses as what the Top 10 will include?

Protest the Hero and Steven Wilson.

MPF
01-02-2014, 01:06 PM
And HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

10.) Leprous- Coal

http://www.themonolith.com/wp-content/uploads/Leprous-Coal.jpg

Leprous, while also being the backing band for Ihsahn when he plays solo shows, is one of the best rising Progressive Rock and Metal bands that have yet to break out. Much like Haken who are taking the Prog world by storm right now, Leprous are on their 4th album and are taking a different approach every single time. This time it's a bit less crazy like their previous album Bilateral was and more of a moodier album and less playful. More soulful and from the heart without the wacky transitions. This is a great starter album for anyone who wants to get into the band that hasn't previously. It still has a lot of dynamics, but they are from song to song instead of from different points in the song. Its a great album to put in the background and relax to if you are a Prog fan, this is a treat.

MPF
01-02-2014, 01:15 PM
9.) The Ocean- Pelagial

http://www.metalblade.com/us/covers/TheOcean-Pelagial.jpg

It's amazing to me how with a name like The Ocean that this concept for an album wasn't the first idea used. A concept album about the different layers of the ocean. Starting off Proggy and nearly poppy and ending with the Doomiest song the band has ever done, The Ocean hit it out of the park concept wise. The music of course is spectacular and I expect no less from the band, they have yet to ever let me down. there is a reason why this album is recieving so much praise this year, its because it completely kicks ass from start to finish. This band needs to be so much bigger than they are, maybe the positive reviews will help with that? If you want your music in a similar vein but different vein of Mastodon, you will love The Ocean. Bombastic, Sludgy, Proggy, METAL!

MPF
01-02-2014, 01:21 PM
8.) Carcass- Surgical Steel

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6a/CarcassSurgicalSteel.png

In speaking of albums getting high praise, this is the biggest Death Metal album of 2013 in my eyes and in the eyes of a lot of a lot of Metal fans. A lot of people were skeptical at first because reunion albums are rarely that good, if at all any good. Carcass blew that theory away with one of my favorite Death Metal albums since their album Heartwork. Those who don't like it think it is overhyped and merely a "meh" album. I don't see that at all. It is a best of Carcass album with all new material and I can't wait to see them pull this off live. They are Death Metal legends for a reason, and Surgical Steel is just another reason why.

Ommie
01-02-2014, 01:23 PM
The Ocean and Carcass. I'm liking this top 10 so far.

MPF
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
7.) Protest The Hero- Volition

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Volition_(Album).jpg

I will be completely honest, I didn't think I was ever going to get into Protest The Hero again. Kezia was always their peak to me. Fortress was ok at best, and their last album did zero for me. But Volition....HOT DAMN! I'm not sure what sparked the fire under their asses for this album, but whatever it was, it worked. This is their best since Kezia, if not their best album. The song Mist, in particular, is the best song they have written. Having Chris Adler on this album playing non Lamb of God style drums was also a great touch as well. I really hope they didn't overstep their boundaries on this album and this is their peak, this is too damn good to not try to top on their next album, they proved they have it in them with this album. it is Progressive Metal PERFECTION!

MPF
01-02-2014, 01:36 PM
6.) Deafheaven- Sunbather

http://31.media.tumblr.com/d740416e568eb9b163dcf2fc6bbd37ae/tumblr_mn7jrfyl1h1qziblko1_1280.png

Yes, this absolutely deserves to be top 10 damn it! I did not get into these guys this year. I actually got into them in late 2011 when I discovered Roads To Judah (Which I still feel is a quality album if not as good as Sunbather) so the Hipster trendy crap can stop right there, I've been a fan for years. Taking two of my favorite genres Black Metal and Shoegaze/Post Rock and creating some hauntingly beautiful music. This is not for everyone. Most will not get it. "Why is there black metal screaming over Shoegaze?" "Why is Black Metal this Melodic and soft?" because Deafheaven is taking a concept that has been going for the last few years and expanded upon it more than any other band has done in the genre. They honestly deserve all the praise they are getting, ALL OF IT! Now they just need to play in Minnesota so I can see them live But I digress. There is a reason why this is arguably the most hyped album in the entire collection of music I've listened to this year, because they deserve it, simply majestic!

MPF
01-02-2014, 01:44 PM
5.) In Vain- nigma

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/6/5/6/365609.jpg?4017

Amazingly enough, only 2 people that i know of in my existence gave this album a chance. My good friend Kyle, and Matt Heafy of Trivium (Who graciously gave this album number 2) This is how Progressive Death Metal should be made. It takes all the best elements of Metal, Prog, Black, Death, Atmospheric, Classical, and Symphonic to a degree, and creates a Progressive Landscape that is unparallelled to any other band going. For the love of all that is Metal, give this album a shot, it is so damn perfect from beginning to end, and no one knows about it! If I hadn't discovered these guys years ago, this would be my discovery of the year, they are that damn good!

MPF
01-02-2014, 01:52 PM
4.) Clutch- Earth Rocker

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/85648507/Earth+Rocker+ClutchEarthRocker604x604.jpg

Now this....THIS is the Hard Rock Album of the Year, without question. Clutch never has let me down but they did put out some less than perfect albums over the past few years. I missed how Clutch wasn't heavy anymore, this album is Heavy As Hell and never lets go, even with the acoustic track Out Cold, its a nice break from the Pure Rock Fury (See what I did there?) If I was able to Earth Rocker would be my theme song for my radio show, because it so perfectly describes my show, and the Wolfman Kindly Requests... should be the closing track of every Clutch show in my humble opinion. This album is indeed a rocker and so damn perfect. For anyone who loves hard Rock and Bluesy Rock that Clutch is known for (which is not so much on this album) this is indeed the album for you. HARD ROCK ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!!!

MPF
01-02-2014, 01:58 PM
3.) Steven Wilson- The Raven Who Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)

http://www.kscopemusic.com/stevenwilson/images/MOON-600px.jpg

Much like Protest the Hero this year, I didn't think Steven Wilson was going to rank very high for me. I love Steven Wilson to death, Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands of all time, and I interviewed him back in May (My first interview I did with my lovely girlfriend, Lynn), but his solo albums in the past did nothing for me, it wasn't until this third album where everything clicked. Don't get me wrong, it's Steven Wilson, so it is a very moody album, you gotta be in the right headspace for it, but it is the right kind of Progressive Rock this time around where it doesn't feel too long or boring, everything is just right, and I haven't felt that in Steven Wilson since Fear Of A Blank Planet. Kudos good sir! now keep up the great work in the years ahead until you bring Porcupine Tree back!

MPF
01-02-2014, 02:07 PM
2.) Witherscape- The Inheritance

http://moltenmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/WS_artwork.jpg

Dan Swano is back making Progressive Death Metal, baby. I have been waiting for this day for so very long and it finally happened. And not only is it Progressive Death Metal, but its got Blues a little bit of Euro Dance Pop, Classical, and a very haunting story that brings it all together. Hearing Dan Swano doing is patented growls is something special to behold. Opeth may not be doing Progressive Death Metal anymore and if you missed what they did, check out Witherscape, you will not be disappointed by a long shot.

MPF
01-02-2014, 02:24 PM
1.) Dream Theater- Dream Theater

http://metalinjection.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dream-Theater-2013-album.jpg

I have been hoping and praying and wishing and striving for Dream Theater to put out an album that I can listen to from start to finish without getting the sense that anything felt out of place, went on too long, boring or just plain sucked; since Train Of Thought that hasn't happened to me. It FINALLY happened with the newest self titled release. It is easily my favorite DT album since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and the music reflects that statement. every song fits, never feels too long or boring and it doesn't get old. It flows together naturally. It took 10 years for that to finally happen, and I say that with DT being my favorite band of all time. Thank you for finally bringing it back around this time Dream theater, I've missed you.......and for those complaining about the production, Black Flag put out some of the crappiest sounding albums to ever exist, yet they are one of the best Punk bands ever, its not the production, its the sound!

MPF
01-02-2014, 02:47 PM
So to recap in Countdown order...

50.) The Dear Hunter- Migrant
49.) Extol- Extol
48.) Bad Religion- True North
47.) Fractal Gates- Beyond the Self
46.) Blood of God- The Fall And Rise Of Man
45.) Amon Amarth- Deceiver of the Gods
44.) Dreamshade- The Gift Of Life
43.) Hypocrisy- End of Disclosure
42.) Anneke Van Giersbergen- Drive
41.) Omnium Gatherum- Beyond
40.) Amaranthe- The Nexus
39.) Alice In Chains- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
38.) The Black Dahlia Murder- Everblack
37.) Fleshgod Apocalypse- Labyrinth
36.) Arsis- Unwelcome
35.) Germ- Grief
34.) Vaura- The Missing
33.) The Winery Dogs- The Winery Dogs
32.) Twilight Of the Gods- Fire on the Mountain
31.) Amorphis- Circle
30.) Tyr- Valkyrja
29.) Fates Warning- Darkness in a Different Light
28.) Orphaned Land- All Is One
27.) Scale the Summit- The Migration
26.) Revocation - Revocation
25.) James LaBrie- Impermanent Resonance
24.) Cloudkicker- Subsume
23.) Shaded Emnity- Forsaken and Forgotten
22.) For The Imperium- Hail The Monsters
21.) Killswitch Engage- Disarm The Descent
20.) Haken- The Mountain
18.) Last Chance To Reason- Level 3
16.) Alter Bridge- Fortress
15.) Kayo Dot- Hubardo
14.) Hail of Bullets- III: The Rommel Chronicles
13.) Agrypnie- Aetas Cineris
12.) Being- Anthropocene
11.) Mechina- Empyrean
10.) Leprous- Coal
9.) The Ocean- Pelagial
7.) Protest The Hero- Volition
6.) Deafheaven- Sunbather
5.) Vain- nigma
4.) Clutch- Earth Rocker
3.) Steven Wilson- The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)
2.) Witherscape- The Inheritance
1.) Dream Theater- Dream Theater

300%_Density
01-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Yay now 2 people have Dream Theater in their top 10!!!

MPF
01-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Wow, only 1 comment after finishing up, gotta admit that's disappointing.

Datjazzfusion
01-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Wow, only 1 comment after finishing up, gotta admit that's disappointing.

Three things.
1) Patience.
2) Three of your top 10 are in mine as well. :rocker: (Steven Wilson, Protest the Hero, Deafheaven)
3) I will be spending the rest of my break checking out ALL your top 50 that I have not checked out yet, and after that I will backtrack through the earlier albums:party:

I trust your musical opinion for the most part.

Also anything blatantly jazzy this year?

slapguitarer
01-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Three things.
1) Patience.
2) Three of your top 10 are in mine as well. :rocker: (Steven Wilson, Protest the Hero, Deafheaven)
3) I will be spending the rest of my break checking out ALL your top 50 that I have not checked out yet, and after that I will backtrack through the earlier albums:party:

Exivious - Liminal

Onioner
01-03-2014, 10:01 PM
4.) Clutch- Earth Rocker

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/85648507/Earth+Rocker+ClutchEarthRocker604x604.jpg

Now this....THIS is the Hard Rock Album of the Year, without question. Clutch never has let me down but they did put out some less than perfect albums over the past few years. I missed how Clutch wasn't heavy anymore, this album is Heavy As Hell and never lets go, even with the acoustic track Out Cold, its a nice break from the Pure Rock Fury (See what I did there?) If I was able to Earth Rocker would be my theme song for my radio show, because it so perfectly describes my show, and the Wolfman Kindly Requests... should be the closing track of every Clutch show in my humble opinion. This album is indeed a rocker and so damn perfect. For anyone who loves hard Rock and Bluesy Rock that Clutch is known for (which is not so much on this album) this is indeed the album for you. HARD ROCK ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!!!

Word.

MPF
01-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Three things.
1) Patience.

Hybrid- Angst

Math Metal with Jazz, it's a very strange but killer combination.

hellawaits77ny
01-04-2014, 06:28 AM

Great review. Awesome album, when of my top of the year.

mastodon421
01-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Great and diverse list per usual man. Glad to see someone dug Pelagial as much as I did, I felt that album didn't get nearly enough recognition.

Addicted2metal
01-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only who enjoyed Dreamshade's new album.

MPF
01-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Great review. Awesome album, when of my top of the year.

Great and diverse list per usual man. Glad to see someone dug Pelagial as much as I did, I felt that album didn't get nearly enough recognition.

I'm glad I'm not the only who enjoyed Dreamshade's new album.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/cawkmeatsandwich/LULS/044159e6e0b6bbae9a223ead74efee75883a7b7.gif

John The Drummer
01-04-2014, 07:36 PM
43.) Hypocrisy- End of Disclosure
35.) Germ- Grief
32.) Twilight Of the Gods- Fire on the Mountain
23.) Shaded Emnity- Forsaken and Forgotten

I highly approve of these :rocker:

I haven't heard ALL of Germ yet, but I really need to check it out.