PDA

View Full Version : Slayer -- San Jose, CA -- October 30th, 2013

TonyD
10-31-2013, 12:50 AM
Got a ticket last minute for $20, any more and I would have skipped it. Gojira was great as expected. If it were anybody other than "fuckin SLAYER bro", they would've stole the show.
Obviously my feelings are mixed. Watching the first part of the show off to the side was pretty dull, half of the entertainment is being in the pit. Seems like nobody was missing the other half of the band, as Slayer is still in the background.

Speaking of which, since everyone just gets to watch Kerry King and Gary Holt headbang on stage, don't bother doing anything other than putting up a few different banners and upside down crucifixes on stage... I don't think I've ever seen a stage that boring at a show that sold 3,000+ tickets at 40 bucks each (before fees...).

Gojira
Oroborus
The Axe
Backbone
The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
Flying Whales
L'Enfant Sauvage
Toxic Garbage Island
Vacuity

Slayer
Hell Awaits
The Antichrist
Necrophiliac
Mandatory Suicide
Captor of Sin
War Ensemble
Postmortem (autocorrected to Postmodern on my phone)
Altar of Sacrifice
Jesus Saves
At Dawn They Sleep
Die By the Sword
Hallowed Point
Seasons In the Abyss
Strike of the Beast
Dead Skin Mask
Raining blood
Black Magic

South of Heaven
Angel of Death

slapguitarer
10-31-2013, 07:41 AM
Gojira was v good. Especially for free dollars. I think that makes for 5 Concerts I've attended for free this year.

IrritatedTrout
10-31-2013, 08:33 AM
Really nice Gojira set.

Cross Face Chicken Wing
10-31-2013, 08:54 AM
How are the pre-Seasons songs going over during Slayer's set?

I love the old school setlist and am happy that they're playing so many pre-Seasons songs, but a lot of the pre-Seasons material has been met with blank stares from much of the audience at the last few Slayer shows I've been to.

Just curious....

hellawaits77ny
10-31-2013, 11:42 AM
, but a lot of the pre-Seasons material has been met with blank stares from much of the audience at the last few Slayer shows I've been to.

Just curious....

Seriously? That's a GD shame.

OraclesofAgony
10-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Wow, the old school set with Strike of the Beast added in.

Yeah, we got screwed on Monday.

TonyD
10-31-2013, 12:53 PM
How are the pre-Seasons songs going over during Slayer's set?

I love the old school setlist and am happy that they're playing so many pre-Seasons songs, but a lot of the pre-Seasons material has been met with blank stares from much of the audience at the last few Slayer shows I've been to.

Just curious....

You mean pre-Reign in Blood? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Travis The Dragon
10-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Speaking of which, since everyone just gets to watch Kerry King and Gary Holt headbang on stage, don't bother doing anything other than putting up a few different banners and upside down crucifixes on stage... I don't think I've ever seen a stage that boring at a show that sold 3,000+ tickets at 40 bucks each (before fees...).

Have you ever been to a Slayer show before? They've never had a fancy stage production. It's always been pretty simple.

TonyD
10-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Have you ever been to a Slayer show before? They've never had a fancy stage production. It's always been pretty simple.

haha yeah, I've seen them at least have video once or twice and I always appreciated the giant cross made of Marshalls, but it just seems like they don't spend a dime more than they need to. That and the fact that they didn't just call it quits since they've been talking about hanging it up soon for years, it's obvious that they're trying to milk the Slayer brand for all it's worth.

LogicBomb
10-31-2013, 04:09 PM
I really hope Gojira isn't one of those bands that gets popular and then never plays anything from their older albums. It's kind of funny actually, they're playing all newer stuff and Slayer playing all old stuff.

Henryperezrocks
10-31-2013, 07:07 PM
i was at this show last night too. i only knew two songs of gojira but god damn they blew me away! they tore the place up. slayers set was awesome! and your right there were sooo many blank stares in my section during the old old songs.

hellawaits77ny
11-01-2013, 05:33 AM
and your right there were sooo many blank stares in my section during the old old songs.

That's so fuckin wrong! Don't get how even a casual fan wouldn't know RIB or Hell Awaits.

Cross Face Chicken Wing
11-01-2013, 06:17 AM
I should clarify: Raining Blood and Angel of Death always get great reactions. Otherwise, most of the other pre-Seasons songs seem to go over people's heads.

It's not that people don't like those songs, but it's obvious that a lot of fans either aren't familiar with them or are just catching a breather until the next more "popular" Slayer song kicks in.

OraclesofAgony
11-01-2013, 07:19 AM
I should clarify: Reign in Blood and Angel of Death always get great reactions. Otherwise, most of the other pre-Seasons songs seem to go over people's heads.

It's not that people don't like those songs, but it's obvious that a lot of fans either aren't familiar with them or are just catching a breather until the next more "popular" Slayer song kicks in.

A decent amount of them are probably unaware of the fact that Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits exist.

At least that's how it was for me when I first started listening to Slayer when I was about 13 or so. I thought Reign In Blood was their first album. :eyes:

John The Drummer
11-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Album: Reign In Blood
Song: Raining Blood

Cross Face Chicken Wing
11-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Edited and fixed.

Phil709
11-01-2013, 01:26 PM
$40? My hatred for Toronto grows stronger. They're charging twice that, before taxes, service fees, convenience fees, handling fees and whatever other arbitrary surcharge they can think of.

El Gordo
11-01-2013, 06:36 PM
A decent amount of them are probably unaware of the fact that Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits exist.

At least that's how it was for me when I first started listening to Slayer when I was about 13 or so. I thought Reign In Blood was their first album. :eyes:

How's that even possible nowadays? With the internet, there's no excuse to be ignorant towards a band's discography. Hell, I got into Slayer long before I had the internet and somehow I was still aware of their discography. I think the issue is Reign in Blood being Slayer's "cool" album, while Hell Awaits and Show No Mercy are much less... "cool". (Even though both albums wipe the floor with Reign in Blood)

JRA
11-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I call bullshit on so-called fans not knowing the first two albums. Throughout the years I've seen way more copies of the first two albums available than I have Diablous In Musica and God Hates Us All.

Availability in major chains = people are buying them.

SomewhereInTime72
11-01-2013, 09:01 PM
It's kind of funny actually, they're playing all newer stuff and Slayer playing all old stuff.

Is that really surprising though? Gojira are a band that actively puts out fantastic music, and Slayer are a band that haven't done that for around 20 years. It seems like each is just playing to their strengths. ;)

OraclesofAgony
11-01-2013, 11:59 PM
I call bullshit on so-called fans not knowing the first two albums. Throughout the years I've seen way more copies of the first two albums available than I have Diablous In Musica and God Hates Us All.

I wish that were the case in the stores I had been to when I first got into this music. I discovered Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits through the internet, never once saw them in a "major" store.

If people are buying the first two albums that much though, then that's a very good thing.

El Gordo
11-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Is that really surprising though? Gojira are a band that actively puts out fantastic music, and Slayer are a band that haven't done that for around 20 years. It seems like each is just playing to their strengths. ;)

This man speaks the truth.

Wrecking Crew
11-04-2013, 08:20 AM

I can kind of see this, back in the day Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits were very hard to find in stores while Reign In Blood and South of Heaven had much better distribution, going to a major record label starting with Reign In Blood really helped Slayer's production and reach. Of course for this to be an issue everyone in attendance would have to be old enough to have bought these albums when they first came out which a lot of Slayer fans probably aren't.

MetalIsArt
11-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Gojira will become as least as big as Slayer.

And they way Kerry talks about reworking Jeff's final material.. A dick he shall always be.

John The Drummer
11-04-2013, 12:17 PM
I remember when Kerry King said that Chimera was going to be the next Slayer :lol: :lol: :lol:

marker
11-04-2013, 12:20 PM

What

PowerMaiden
11-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I really like Gojira, but they should be happy if they become just 1/25th of what Slayer became

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
11-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Yeah, Gorjira getting their albums certified gold in the US is right around the corner:tp:

JRA
11-04-2013, 05:11 PM
I wish that were the case in the stores I had been to when I first got into this music. I discovered Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits through the internet, never once saw them in a "major" store.

If people are buying the first two albums that much though, then that's a very good thing.

Was in a mall today and saw two copies of Show No Mercy and one copy of Hell Awaits.

XDoomsayerX
11-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Gojira > Slayer

LIVEtoROCK86
11-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Definitely +1 on the bullshit towards older/rarer Slayer songs. Slayer plays the same old songs year after year so it's nice to hear Necrophiliac, At Dawn They Sleep, Postmortem, Altar Of Sacrifice/Jesus Saves, Die By The Sword, The Antichrist, etc etc.

These songs MADE the band. If you are a Slayer fan and don't know those songs, then that is definitely your problem and you are listening to the wrong shit. Plus a lot of those songs are on Decade of Aggression and DVD releases.

Hands down, this set is better than any set in the past few years.

MetalIsArt
11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah, it's a good set, even I must admit that. ;)

TonyD
11-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I don't even get what people are saying about the crowd not reacting to the old material. People are gonna go nuts for Raining Blood, War Ensemble, Angel of Death, etc... but not everybody is going to react to every song like they're 17 and it's 1985, regardless of what they play.