PDA

View Full Version : Films that made you sad/cry

Sepultura69
10-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End Of Evangelion

http://opus.fm/media/review_images/end-of-evangelion.jpg

No film has hit me harder than "Neon Genesis: End of Evangelion". Holy hell, this movie is literally a MIND FUCK from start to finish. Left me in tears, by the end of the film my brain was fried from what I had just witnessed, and I honestly couldn't sleep for a good week or two after watching this incredible piece of art. This was probably somewhere around summer 2007.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5lL1y9ELMFM/R-ALts3jTjI/AAAAAAAACS8/C3pDmKiZsD4/s400/The_Mist_2.jpg

Awesome movie, the ending to this film always gets me.. :( :(

Those are some that pop up in the back of my head when i think of movies that leave me a little teary eyed.

I'd like to see some of you folks post some films on here that have left you "down in the dumps". ;) ;):D

PVH5150
10-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Arlington Road. Because I love Jeff Bridges & can't fucking stand Tim Robbins.

elturtleboy
10-12-2013, 07:12 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/The_Iron_Giant_poster.JPG

adamclark52
10-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Are you referring to the movie based off the Stephen King novel 'the Mist'. If so, that was an awesome movie and the ending was epic.

Being the huge geek I am I actually get pretty worked up during the scene on The Bridge of Khazad Dum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3aKFrsapjc) in the Fellowship of the Ring, after Galdalf says "fly you fools" and falls. That slow, ominous music and the sadness on Frodos face gets to me. It's really great that any time I've watched that movie with my wife she chooses to start talking then after being quite for two hours. The ending of the Return of the King when Frodo and Samwise are sitting on the rocks in the lava flow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtEOjAx4JKA) gets me too. And the beginning of the Hobbit had me getting a choked up when Frodo walked on the screen. I don't care. I loved those first three movies and to see Frodo again made me happy. Just watching those two clips made me remember how fucking awesome those movies were.

Then there's Star Wars. I do get pretty worked up at the end of Return of the Jedi when Darth Vader chooses between Luke and the Emperor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOQI-LAEzM) and redeems himself. And the last shot in Revenge of the Sith with Owen and Beru Lars staring at the two sons of Tattooine holding baby Luke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a2COOvciqc) really gets me. It probably doesn't for a lot of people but that scene brought thirty years of being a Star Wars fan full-circle for me. Even watching that shitty quality clip off YouTube got me welled up.

I can't say I ever cried. I was damn close the first time I saw Revenge of the Sith.

Sepultura69
10-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Are you referring to the movie based off the Stephen King novel 'the Mist'.

Yes. :cool:

If so, that was an awesome movie and the ending was epic.

Indeed. :fist:

300%_Density
10-12-2013, 08:54 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5lL1y9ELMFM/R-ALts3jTjI/AAAAAAAACS8/C3pDmKiZsD4/s400/The_Mist_2.jpg

This. 1st time I saw it and it got to the end, me and my gf at that time, just kinda looked at it each other and then just kind of looked away from each other and neither of us talked for like 15-20 mins. Never had that experience from watching a movie before.

Only other thing I can think of was the last few episodes from Six Feet Under, but since we are in movie mode I'll have to do some thinking.

rjturtle9
02-12-2014, 11:04 AM
And the last shot in Revenge of the Sith with Owen and Beru Lars staring at the two sons of Tattooine holding baby Luke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a2COOvciqc) really gets me. It probably doesn't for a lot of people but that scene brought thirty years of being a Star Wars fan full-circle for me.

This!
Also, I must say, the very ending of Titanic gets me sometimes. Yeah, fuck it.

Also, I googled that Neon Genesis Evangelion movie. Pretty interested in watching it, but I've never even heard of the series before. Can someone fill me in as to whether or not I'll be able to follow the movie without prior knowledge of the anime?

MetalIsArt
02-12-2014, 11:17 AM
The TDK-Trilogy always gets me.

John The Drummer
02-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Lassie :(

I remember the first time I watched it I was like "OMG GREAT MOVIE!" But then (if I recall correctly) the river scene .... I was bawling! I had two dogs at the time too, so that made it worse :(

Gotta agree on the ending of The Mist. That was so unexpected and depressing!

AnthG
02-12-2014, 12:10 PM
The part in 50/50 where JGL has his nervous breakdown in the car is tough too watch.

TonyD
02-12-2014, 12:19 PM
And the last shot in Revenge of the Sith with Owen and Beru Lars staring at the two sons of Tattooine holding baby Luke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a2COOvciqc) really gets me. It probably doesn't for a lot of people but that scene brought thirty years of being a Star Wars fan full-circle for me. Even watching that shitty quality clip off YouTube got me welled up.

I can't say I ever cried. I was damn close the first time I saw Revenge of the Sith.

The only good moments in the prequels... the references to the originals.

MetalIsArt
02-12-2014, 12:34 PM
The ending of Godfather III :boohoo:

adamclark52
02-12-2014, 12:46 PM
The only good moments in the prequels... the references to the originals.

The Order 66 scenes were pretty awesome. It didn't make me cry but I was like, "................fuck...........".

Dextrimental
02-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Titanic and Armageddon. They're shit, but truly saddening shit.

Pay It Forward, Memories of Me, Super, A.I., Grave of the Fireflies, Gladiator and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind never fail to evoke a tear or two.

Dextrimental
02-12-2014, 02:06 PM
The part in 50/50 where JGL has his nervous breakdown in the car is tough too watch.

This too.

rjturtle9
02-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.

I saw this for the first time last week. Almost made me cry... Almost.

larvtard
02-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Grave of the Fireflies

This, and 12 Years A Slave. Was bawling in the bathroom afterward. :boohoo:

dcmetal108
02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Too many to name.

Recently the two that had be crying like a girl nonstop where pretty much all of Her and the last 15 minutes of Lone Survivor.

TehBr00tulz
02-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Being very behind, I just watched Up. Well, I can add that to my list.

MetalIsArt
02-13-2014, 02:31 AM
TDKR when he gets out of the pit, it's such a fuck yeah moment and yet :boohoo:

Other choice: The Machinist. Not crying, but almost.

hellawaits77ny
02-13-2014, 08:03 AM
].

Those are some that pop up in the back of my head when i think of movies that leave me a little teary eyed.

Good call. The ending of the novella was quite different. The novella was great, check it out if you're a reader and haven't read it.

The Green Mile's ending was sad, Where The Red Fern Grows got to me as a kid. Eden Lake's ending made me want to break my computer screen into a thousand pieces! Not sad, just made me so angry! A Serbian Film's ending also made me pretty bummed.

hellawaits77ny
02-13-2014, 08:05 AM
You guys cry a lot. Nothing with that, just sayin'.

illuminatus917
02-13-2014, 10:44 AM
The ending of Seven Pounds.

MetalIsArt
02-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Good call. The ending of the novella was quite different. The novella was great, check it out if you're a reader and haven't read it.

The Green Mile's ending was sad, Where The Red Fern Grows got to me as a kid. Eden Lake's ending made me want to break my computer screen into a thousand pieces! Not sad, just made me so angry! A Serbian Film's ending also made me pretty bummed.

Stephen King really liked this new ending, I believe.

The novel's one is optimistic, and "static". ;)

hellawaits77ny
02-13-2014, 11:16 AM
The novel's one is optimistic, and "static". ;)

"Hartford"!

Eerie ending. Could've gone so many different ways. It was cool though, to watch the movie and compare how they made the creatures look vs how you imagines the creatures in your head while reading.

MetalIsArt
02-13-2014, 11:35 AM
"Hartford"!

Eerie ending. Could've gone so many different ways. It was cool though, to watch the movie and compare how they made the creatures look vs how you imagines the creatures in your head while reading.

King's the master :allan:

John The Drummer
02-13-2014, 01:14 PM
I forgot which Season/Mid-Season Finale of The Walking Dead it was, but I remember one of them was really intense.... think it was the one where Andrea died....

illuminatus917
02-13-2014, 01:28 PM
I forgot which Season/Mid-Season Finale of The Walking Dead it was, but I remember one of them was really intense.... think it was the one where Andrea died....

Most emotional deaths in The Walking Dead I think:

1. Death of Sophia
2. Death of Dale
3. Death of Andrea
4. Death of Hershel

Dextrimental
02-13-2014, 01:35 PM
SPOILERS YOU FUCKING TOOL!

dcmetal108
02-13-2014, 06:56 PM
You guys cry a lot. Nothing with that, just sayin'.

I tend to think of myself as pretty hardcore and shit but I tend to get teary during a shit load of films. I love my films.

illuminatus917
03-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Most emotional deaths in The Walking Dead I think:

1. Death of Sophia
2. Death of Dale
3. Death of Andrea
4. Death of Hershel

Updated:

1. Death of Sophia
2. Death of Dale
3. Death of Andrea
4. Death of Lizzy
5. Death of Hershel

Natrlhi
03-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Just realized I forgot to chime in on this thread. Here are a few that come to mind:

The Sixth Sense - the scene with Osment and Collette in the car gets me every fucking time. Hard.
I Am Legend - the scene with Smith and his dog is heart-wrenching - quite possibly Smith's finest moment on screen so far.
Million Dollar Baby - Eastwood's final scene with Swank.
Wall-E - the scene where he remembers Eva is amazing, because there are no voices, and no actors - and I'm still in tears.
Up - ditto for a few scenes in this one.
Saving Private Ryan - multiple scenes, such as "Earn this" and the scene at the graveyard.
Schindler's List - multiple scenes, such as the one where Neeson cries that he "could have saved more", and the one at his grave.
Forrest Gump - multiple scenes, such as when Forrest meets his son and when Jenny dies.
Eight Below - the second half of the movie had my stomach in knots.
Awakenings - the entire movie is a roller-coaster of emotion as DeNiro faces the ups and downs of his disease.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Nicholson's final few scenes.
Braveheart - Gibson's final scene, and others.
Gladiator - Crowe's final scene.
A Beautiful Mind - ditto.
Speaking of Russell Crowe (and no, I'm not a fanboy - these last few are just coincidence), I cried tears of joy for him in Cinderella Man.

A bit aside from the original topic, but here are a few more "tears of joy" films:

The Shawshank Redemption
Rudy
Hoosiers
Rocky
The Karate Kid
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets Society
LOTR: Return of the King
By the way...in light of Twatty's recent "thread heard 'round the forum", the above list of movies would be a pretty good start for my own personal list if I were to ever make one. I think only two or three of the above films made his list.

adamclark52
03-19-2014, 10:41 AM
By the way...in light of Twatty's recent "thread heard 'round the forum", the above list of movies would be a pretty good start for my own personal list if I were to ever make one. I think only two or three of the above films made his list.

That's such a cruel nickname for the poor kid.

Natrlhi
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
That's such a cruel nickname for the poor kid.:lol: I just took the acronym TWATY and modified it a bit. :eyes:

He's gonna have to get a thick skin sometime if he's gonna survive around here. :D

XDoomsayerX
03-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Just realized I forgot to chime in on this thread. Here are a few that come to mind:

The Sixth Sense - the scene with Osment and Collette in the car gets me every fucking time. Hard.
I Am Legend - the scene with Smith and his dog is heart-wrenching - quite possibly Smith's finest moment on screen so far.
Wall-E - the scene where he remembers Eva is amazing, because there are no voices, and no actors - and I'm still in tears.
Saving Private Ryan - multiple scenes, such as "Earn this" and the scene at the graveyard.
Schindler's List - multiple scenes, such as the one where Neeson cries that he "could have saved more", and the one at his grave.
Forrest Gump - multiple scenes, such as when Forrest meets his son and when Jenny dies.
Awakenings - the entire movie is a roller-coaster of emotion as DeNiro faces the ups and downs of his disease.
Speaking of Russell Crowe (and no, I'm not a fanboy - these last few are just coincidence), I cried tears of joy for him in Cinderella Man.

A bit aside from the original topic, but here are a few more "tears of joy" films:

The Shawshank Redemption
Rudy
Hoosiers
Rocky
The Karate Kid
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets Society
LOTR: Return of the King

I like your taste in movies. Ditto on what ya said for Schindler's list.

The last scene of 12 Years a Slave....scratch that watch the whole thing flick hits ya hard.

Natrlhi
03-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks! I haven't seen that movie yet, but I'm sure it's pretty heavy duty. I've also heard Lone Survivor is another one that'll evoke some strong emotions. I look forward to seeing both.

illuminatus917
03-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Will Smith is one fine damn actor. I Am Legend and Seven Pounds are both incredible films. Very, very emotional.

MetalIsArt
04-18-2014, 12:51 AM
Will Smith is one fine damn actor. I Am Legend and Seven Pounds are both incredible films. Very, very emotional.

He isn't in my book. I much prefer Jamie Foxx.

:cool:

Dextrimental
04-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Flicking through this thread and BAM Walking Dead spoilers. A lot of them, too.

Fuck you guys so very fucking hard. Is it THAT HARD to use a spoiler warning? Dickheads. Absolute dickheads. This isn't The Walkind Dead thread so they are ABSOLUTELY necessary.

larvtard
04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Her. Her. Her. Her. Her. Her. Her.

dcmetal108
04-18-2014, 10:39 AM

This.

I saw it in theaters and was a teary mess the entire movie. then I saw Lone Survivor right after and the last 15 minutes of that had me balling my eyes out.

illuminatus917
04-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Fuck you guys so very fucking hard. Is it THAT HARD to use a spoiler warning? Dickheads. Absolute dickheads. This isn't The Walkind Dead thread so they are ABSOLUTELY necessary.

:bliss:

illninoese
04-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Oh yeah. The last 30 minutes was brutal for me. I've never cried for that long in the theater before.

A couple more that I've cried in:
As people have said already, 50/50. I had deviated septum surgery a little over 3 months before watching this and the pre-op scene got to me.
The Mist. That fucking final scene.
The ending of Return of the King.
Cinema Paradiso.
The Pianist.
(500) Days of Summer.
Four Feathers.
A Perfect Storm.
Man on Fire.

The couple that have made me extremely sad/depressed:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Cried like a fool reading this book though and Order of the Phoenix).
Blow.
The Act of Killing.
The Road.
Apocalypto.
Melancholia.
Hotel Rwanda.
The Machinist.

MetalIsArt
04-19-2014, 07:04 AM
Oh yeah. The last 30 minutes was brutal for me. I've never cried for that long in the theater before.

A couple more that I've cried in:
As people have said already, 50/50. I had deviated septum surgery a little over 3 months before watching this and the pre-op scene got to me.
The Mist. That fucking final scene.
The ending of Return of the King.
Cinema Paradiso.
The Pianist.
(500) Days of Summer.
Four Feathers.
A Perfect Storm.
Man on Fire.

The couple that have made me extremely sad/depressed:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Cried like a fool reading this book though and Order of the Phoenix).
Blow.
The Act of Killing.
The Road.
Apocalypto.
Melancholia.
Hotel Rwanda.
The Machinist.

Hotel Rwanda made me cry when they had to flee in the van.

The Machinist didn't make me cry, but left me stunned, speechless and silent for a long time.

Natrlhi
08-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Flicking through this thread and BAM Walking Dead spoilers. A lot of them, too.

For what it's worth, Dex, I can totally see your point. I'm sure it was an honest mistake and The Other Nat didn't mean anything by it, but now that I've caught up with the series myself I can also relate to your position. I would have been pissed if I had read that list (which is why I immediately closed my eyes back when I first saw the post).

However, since the toothpaste is now out of the tube and it's never going back in...I have to say to The Other Nat that I agree with your list. However, I wouldn't rank them in the order that you did (though I doubt you had them ranked...they seemed to merely be in chronological order). In fact, if I were to rank them in order of emotional impact, I would probably rank them in reverse chronological order. That last one especially was a total shock and I actually cried out while watching it. So fucking brutal.

That's what I've come to learn, though, about the show. Nobody is safe. Just when we really start to get attached to a character...BAM - zombie food. :bouville:

MetalIsArt
08-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I heard that Rust & Bone is pretty heavy stuff.

SPOILER:

Especially when a certain character finds out that she can't walk anymore.

MetalIsArt
08-04-2014, 10:49 AM
This.

I saw it in theaters and was a teary mess the entire movie. then I saw Lone Survivor right after and the last 15 minutes of that had me balling my eyes out.

What movie is this from? :eyes:

orlandodavis
09-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father.

illuminatus917
10-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Natrlhi had some good ones.

Saving Private Ryan - The scene on the bridge where he tells Private Ryan to "earn this"

Forest Gump - The scene where he talks to Jenny's grave

The Green Mile - The final execution; "roll on two"

Seven Pounds - The ending scene when the kids choir is singing and Emily looks into Ezra's eyes

District 9 - The final scene where we see the prawn holding the flower, and we realize the implications

The Family Man - When Jack's daughter comes in playing her violin for the final time, and also Jack's speech at the airport close to the end

Blood Diamond - The phone call he makes to Maddy when he's dying on the mountain

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly - The scene in the Union POW camp with the music / "play that fiddle, you"

The Grey - The last scene when he recites the poem just before facing the wolf

For what it's worth, Dex, I can totally see your point. I'm sure it was an honest mistake and The Other Nat didn't mean anything by it, but now that I've caught up with the series myself I can also relate to your position. I would have been pissed if I had read that list (which is why I immediately closed my eyes back when I first saw the post).

However, since the toothpaste is now out of the tube and it's never going back in...I have to say to The Other Nat that I agree with your list. However, I wouldn't rank them in the order that you did (though I doubt you had them ranked...they seemed to merely be in chronological order). In fact, if I were to rank them in order of emotional impact, I would probably rank them in reverse chronological order. That last one especially was a total shock and I actually cried out while watching it. So fucking brutal.

That's what I've come to learn, though, about the show. Nobody is safe. Just when we really start to get attached to a character...BAM - zombie food. :bouville:

I actually did have them ranked in order. I thought the death of Sophia was the most emotional scene the show has produced yet. Let's take a closer look.

1. Death of Sophia - The entire story arc of season 2A was centered around trying to find Sophia. I don't know what other viewers were expecting, but I thought they'd either find her alive out in the woods somewhere, discover she'd been kidnapped by another group of people, possibly raped, etc. I had a lot of theories at the time. I never suspected she was in that barn the whole fucking time. When she staggered out of that door and everyone realized who that walker was, and Carol went running toward her, and Rick pointed that pistol at her and knew what he had to do, and with that look on his face... holy fucking shit.
This scene was also brilliant because it coincided with the Greene family's first harsh reality check. We had two things going on here: the Greene family pining over the death of the mother after watching Shane shoot the walkers, exposing them to the harsh truth that walkers are not just "sick," and Rick's group facing the harsh truth that they had lost Sophia. And the Greene family had to witness how Rick's group responded to that situation with complete sincerity, cementing that any illusion of walkers being just "sick" is just that - an illusion.

2. Death of Dale - Daryl saying "sorry brother" just before pulling the trigger. :(
Dale was also my favorite character on the show. He and Shane left two massive holes, in my opinion, that haven't been filed.

3. Death of Andrea - This was simply the right death for her. Like Merle, she went out, in my opinion, on a note of redemption. For a character that was at times infuriating, she did spend the better part of season 3 fighting for peace, and ended up paying for it with her life. I think the scene was so emotional because her death scene was ultimately her reuniting with the group she belonged with all along. In that scene, she knew that, and Daryl, Rick and Michonne knew it too.
Also, she's a really fine damn actress, and her acting in that scene greatly intensified the emotional punch of it.

JTCorpse
10-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Les Miserable... Certain songs in that movie/musical ALWAYS pull my heart strings. Anne Hathaway's version of "I Dreamed a Dream", the song "On My Own", "Bring Him Home", "Do You Hear the People Sing" (original and reprise)... Holy crap just thinking of them makes me almost tear up!!

derangedperson
12-11-2014, 12:13 AM
Requiem For A Dream--Goes without saying.

The Fountain--Saw this movie six hours after I buried my grandma. When he tattoos the ring on his finger, forget it.

50/50--The pre-op scene. I work in a hospital, so this hit doubly hard.

Atonement--The ending scene with Vanessa Redgrave.

Up--That opening and the "Stuff I'm Going To Do" scene. Every adult in the theater, myself included, was sobbing while the kids were like, "Why are you crying, daddy?"

Toy Story 3--Goes without saying.

Shaun Of The Dead--"I'm sorry, mum."

The World's End--Andy finding out the truth about why Gary wanted to complete the Golden Mile.

Breaking Bad--The last 3 episodes.

Interstellar--The 23 years of messages.

Dear Zachary--Goes without saying.

Sunshine--Capa blasting across space to reach the payload.

127 Hours--The final scene with Sigur Ros' "Festival" playing. Holy hell.

Jochen
12-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Philadelphia
Gran Torino
Toy Story 3

The Elephant Man was pretty sad too.