Trollfest
Last Resort
Ulcerate

markrz
09-19-2013, 05:43 AM
god damn

BlashyrkhMR101
09-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Wow I gotta go to France...Vried are doing a Windir tribute set for anyone interested in that.

Dextrimental
09-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Hellfest is great on paper, but the line up is just too crowded, timing and clash issues all over the place. That said, great indication of the bands doing the rounds for the festivals next year. Graspop usually gets the best selection of the bands on the line up. Hopefully Carcass, Emperor, Hatebreed, Trivium and Annihilator at least.

mankvill
09-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Wow I gotta go to France...Vried are doing a Windir tribute set for anyone interested in that.

My fucking dream...

markrz
09-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Graspop is one of my dream go-to's for festivals.

ravenheart
09-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Hellfest is great on paper, but the line up is just too crowded, timing and clash issues all over the place. That said, great indication of the bands doing the rounds for the festivals next year. Graspop usually gets the best selection of the bands on the line up. Hopefully Carcass, Emperor, Hatebreed, Trivium and Annihilator at least.

Yes indeed. Sweden Rock already has Emperor, and I'm hoping we get Iced Earth, Carcass, Crowbar, and Annihilator. Also wouldn't mind Downset, Zodiac, and Kataklysm, but otherwise don't really care about the rest of the line-up.

Don't think you'll be getting Emperor. They're only playing four dates, all of which were booked months ago. The Hellfest one was known at the time to be the last one to be confirmed, alongside Wacken, SRF and Bloodstock.

Dextrimental
09-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Yes indeed. Sweden Rock already has Emperor, and I'm hoping we get Iced Earth, Carcass, Crowbar, and Annihilator. Also wouldn't mind Downset, Zodiac, and Kataklysm, but otherwise don't really care about the rest of the line-up.

Don't think you'll be getting Emperor. They're only playing four dates, all of which were booked months ago. The Hellfest one was known at the time to be the last one to be confirmed, alongside Wacken, SRF and Bloodstock.

Aye, I know, tis unlikely with Emperor. If I had to put money on it, Graspop will get At The Gates next year though, which is also nice, even if it is the last Summer festival to do so.

mr. roti
09-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Graspop is shit. Too crowded. Most of the stage are inside tents where its fucking too damn hot to stay and sometime impossible to get in 'cause of the massive crowd. The outside stage is okay but still... too much people.
I prefer festivals problem like hellfest where too many good bands are playing at the same time than a fest where you can't simply see the band you want to.

ravenheart
09-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Both situations are useless. Just like the Roadburn problem, where bands don't directly clash, they just all overlap. If a festival make it impossible to watch consecutive bands because of capacity problems, a stupid running order, or too many stages, they simply aren't worth attending.

Dextrimental
09-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Graspop is shit. Too crowded. Most of the stage are inside tents where its fucking too damn hot to stay and sometime impossible to get in 'cause of the massive crowd. The outside stage is okay but still... too much people.
I prefer festivals problem like hellfest where too many good bands are playing at the same time than a fest where you can't simply see the band you want to.

The only time I've ever dealt with an obscene amount of people at Graspop was Iron Maiden this year. This year was my fifth year going and the crowds have always been manageable. With regards the heat, it's mainland Europe in the June - you're going to get hot weather.

Several people I encountered this year at Graspop complained about Hellfest being messy, over-crowded, and the overlaps just being infuriating.

Graspop is great for overlaps, in that there aren't many, only ever two stages on at once out of four. As I say the crowds aren't huge, you must have had a bad experience - it's numbers are smaller than Hellfest and Wacken anyway.

mankvill
09-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Looking over the running order for this year's Hellfest, I had maybe 2 overlaps. I wanna go >:I

mr. roti
09-19-2013, 09:07 AM
The only time I've ever dealt with an obscene amount of people at Graspop was Iron Maiden this year. This year was my fifth year going and the crowds have always been manageable. With regards the heat, it's mainland Europe in the June - you're going to get hot weather.

Several people I encountered this year at Graspop complained about Hellfest being messy, over-crowded, and the overlaps just being infuriating.

Graspop is great for overlaps, in that there aren't many, only ever two stages on at once out of four. As I say the crowds aren't huge, you must have had a bad experience - it's numbers are smaller than Hellfest and Wacken anyway.

http://d1ovi2g6vebctw.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/you-calling-me-a-liar.jpg

John The Drummer
09-19-2013, 12:15 PM
DAT LINEUP :drool:

Dextrimental
09-19-2013, 04:24 PM
http://d1ovi2g6vebctw.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/you-calling-me-a-liar.jpg

:lol: excellent!

No, sorry, just trying to contrast with your experience a bit! :D

ravenheart
09-20-2013, 01:01 AM

Yeah, I like how Graspop does its running order. It operates on the same principles as SRF in that respect.

But with crowds, I know the overall crowd size isn't that bad, but I hear people complain about not being able to get into the silly little tents for the side stages every year.

Dextrimental
09-20-2013, 09:03 AM
But with crowds, I know the overall crowd size isn't that bad, but I hear people complain about not being able to get into the silly little tents for the side stages every year.

Yeah, but unless they add a second outdoor stage that's just a reality. Graspop wouldn't really have the room for a second outdoor stage unless they overhauled the entire layout.

ravenheart
09-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Yeah, but unless they add a second outdoor stage that's just a reality. Graspop wouldn't really have the room for a second outdoor stage unless they overhauled the entire layout.

Pretty sure they make enough money every year to do that.

ravenheart
12-03-2013, 03:16 AM
Full line-up leaked by French media ahead of tomorrow's official announcement.

If true, it's fucking outrageous.

You know how when people make up those fake festival posters with impossible line-ups on them...

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2013/hellfest-2014/

dcmetal108
12-03-2013, 05:39 AM
Weekend Nachos playing the same stage as Carcass and Nile :lol: so fucking odd.

IrritatedTrout
12-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Very nice lineup, Saturday is fairly weak though.

christopher
12-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Full line-up leaked by French media ahead of tomorrow's official announcement.

If true, it's fucking outrageous.

You know how when people make up those fake festival posters with impossible line-ups on them...

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2013/hellfest-2014/

Just a heads up, but you listed Friday for everyday of the weekend.

ravenheart
12-04-2013, 02:59 AM
Just a heads up, but you listed Friday for everyday of the weekend.

Every day is Friday in France. It's the reason the French are so lazy.

Natrlhi
12-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Every day is Friday in France. It's the reason the French are so lazy.:lol:

slapguitarer
12-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Walls of Jericho are still a band?

ravenheart
12-04-2013, 06:57 AM
A few extra bands missing from the leaked line-up:

Opeth
Philip Anselmo
Comeback Kid
Protest The Hero
Impiety
Kronos
Necroblood
Cobra

Dextrimental
12-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Can't wait for Graspop to announce the more stream-lined and manageable version of that line up. Hellfest books too many bands.

Travis The Dragon
12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q71/s720x720/1472970_675167232515186_1649528762_n.jpg

ravenheart
12-04-2013, 04:39 PM

What would we do without you? :tp:

Travis The Dragon
12-04-2013, 04:45 PM
What would we do without you? :tp:

Exactly what do you mean by that statement? This thread is about Hellfest, right? So, wouldn't it make sense to post the lineup?

ravenheart
12-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Exactly what do you mean by that statement? This thread is about Hellfest, right? So, wouldn't it make sense to post the lineup?

It would indeed, which is why I posted it on Tuesday and we've been discussing it since.

kalfitegrdan
12-05-2013, 01:49 AM
It would indeed, which is why I posted it on Tuesday and we've been discussing it since.

At least he didn't start a new thread for it.

ravenheart
12-05-2013, 08:11 AM
At least he didn't start a new thread for it.

Thank God for small mercies ;)

mankvill
12-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Day 1:

Mainstage 01:

Iron Maiden
Rob Zombie
Satan

Mainstage 02:

Slayer
Sepultura
Death Angel
MOD
Toxic Holocaust
Fueled By Fire
Angelus Apatrida

Altar:

Death
Pungent Stench
Nocturnus

Temple:

Watain
Enslaved
Turisas
Impaled Nazarene
D666
Impiety

Valley:

Electric Wizard
Kylesa

Warzone:

Slapshot
STYG

====

Day 2:

Mainstage 01:

Deep Purple

Mainstage 02:

Protest The Hero

Altar:

Carcass
Nile
Gorguts
Hail of Bullets
Incantation
Supuration
Weekend Nachos

Temple:

Gorgoroth
Eluveitie
Tsjuder
Shining
Mgla
Temple of Baal

Valley:

Clutch
Saviours

Warzone:

Comeback Kid

====

Day 3:

Mainstage 01:

Black Sabbath
Megadeth

Mainstage 02:

Emperor
Iced Earth
Behemoth
In Solitude

Altar:

Opeth
Paradise Lost
Black Dahlia Murder
Unleashed
Repulsion

Temple:

Vreid/Windir
Equilibrium

Valley:

Satan's Satyrs

Warzone:

Misfits

Here's who I'd see. Bold is can't miss, bold + underline is my one band I'd be going to see.

justinm4bama
12-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Hellfest > Wacken in my opinion.

ravenheart
12-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Hellfest > Wacken in my opinion.

Not really surprising though. There have been several European festivals better than Wacken for years. Wacken's just the name everyone knows, that's all it's really got going for it.

mankvill
12-05-2013, 10:43 AM
I actually think as of right now, Wacken has a pretty solid line-up. If it would just stop there, though...

ravenheart
12-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I actually think as of right now, Wacken has a pretty solid line-up. If it would just stop there, though...

It's average at best. Loads of bands who play all the time anyway, plus two bands they failed to get last year when it was news (King Diamond and Avantasia) and Emperor.

That said, they're now into their Xmas Advent calendar period of announcing bands, which means at least one band per day until Christmas, usually with the Christmas day one being a headliner, so it could yet get considerably better.

Spiner202
12-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Wacken just announced HammerFall playing Glory to the Brave in its entirety. There's really no topping that

Not that I'm a HammerFall fanboy or anything...

ravenheart
12-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Wacken just announced HammerFall playing Glory to the Brave in its entirety. There's really no topping that

Not that I'm a HammerFall fanboy or anything...

Pales in comparison to Roadburn announcing Candlemass playing all of Ancient Dreams.

illuminatus917
12-06-2013, 06:19 AM
SubRosa is playing it.

Travis The Dragon
12-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Oops, it might help if I actually looked at all the posts first. Especially since there aren't that many of them!

Natrlhi
12-07-2013, 09:20 PM
SubRosa is playing it.
:eek: Fucking hell. If only I had the means to just jet off to the Land of the Frogs for a week for this goddamn fest. :bouville:

Also of interest to yours truly:

Royal Thunder
Caspian
Downfall of Gaia (a pretty decent German post-metal act who've been around for a few years and have a full-length, a split and an EP in their catalog so far)
Watertank (an awesome sludge band from France who've been around for over a decade, and have finally released their debut album Sleepwalk, which is pretty sweet and highly recommended for fans of Torche)