PDA

View Full Version : Riot Fest -- Chicago, IL -- September 13th-15th, 2013

powerslave_85
09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Riot Fest was a blast. The rain all day Sunday put a damper on things, but it was still great. I would totally do it again, except I think my body was trying to tell me I'm too old for this shit (evidenced by the cold I brought home with me) :lol:

Bands I saw in full or at least partially:

Andrew WK
Bad Religion
GWAR
Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
Danzig
X
Dinosaur Jr.
Pennywise
Guided By Voices
The Lawrence Arms
Rancid
Taking Back Sunday
Blink-182
Chuck Ragan
Peter Hook and The Light
Mission of Burma
Against Me!
Bob Mould
Rocket From the Crypt
Off With Their Heads
Brand New
AFI
Pixies

I wanted to see The Replacements, but I was so sore and miserable from standing in the rain all day that I just wanted to go back to the hotel. I think my favorites were The Lawrence Arms and Brand New, but Rancid was awesome too, and Bob Mould's set was great even though that was when the rain was at its heaviest.

dcmetal108
09-17-2013, 11:45 AM
I was there all 3 days too.

I'll do quick day by day reviews too.

My two favorite were Danzig and AFI.

powerslave_85
09-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I thought Danzig's set was boring until Doyle came out to do the Misfits stuff. I should have seen Fall Out Boy instead.

NickLed19
09-17-2013, 01:09 PM
How was Blink?

dcmetal108
09-17-2013, 01:39 PM
I thought Danzig's set was boring until Doyle came out to do the Misfits stuff. I should have seen Fall Out Boy instead.

I loved Danzigs stuff, he does sound like shit doing solo stuff though because his voice sucks, Misfits songs sound great since they originally sounded shitty too.

I didn't watch Blink, I watched Violent Femmes (sucked) then left two songs into Blink. I heard alot of people got hurt during Blink so thats why they added extra barriers for AFI / Replacements.

powerslave_85
09-17-2013, 02:00 PM
How was Blink?
The setlist was mostly new stuff; they played "All the Small Things," "What's My Age Again?" "Dumpweed," "Man Overboard" (which was a nice surprise), "Dammit," "Josie," and "Carousel" and everything else was from the self-titled or Neighborhoods. The sound SUCKED, it was too quiet and badly mixed. Also, they don't do nearly enough dick jokes anymore, which was a little disappointing. Still fun, though.

EDIT: I'm surprised anyone stuck around for Violent Femmes since they opened with "Blister In the Sun" and "Kiss Off." Very weird that they didn't save those for the end.

sarsip
09-17-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm glad to see Rocket From The Crypt is still kicking.

dcmetal108
09-17-2013, 02:51 PM
The setlist was mostly new stuff; they played "All the Small Things," "What's My Age Again?" "Dumpweed," "Man Overboard" (which was a nice surprise), "Dammit," "Josie," and "Carousel" and everything else was from the self-titled or Neighborhoods. The sound SUCKED, it was too quiet and badly mixed. Also, they don't do nearly enough dick jokes anymore, which was a little disappointing. Still fun, though.

EDIT: I'm surprised anyone stuck around for Violent Femmes since they opened with "Blister In the Sun" and "Kiss Off." Very weird that they didn't save those for the end.

Yeah Violent Femmes kicked off with their most popular song but I just thought it was boring. I stood there drinking with some friends while my one friend was dancing around like a child to them.

I'm glad to see Rocket From The Crypt is still kicking.

They were decent enough.

Jochen
09-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I saw Danzig, Gwar, Andrew WK, and whoever played on the Rise Stage on Friday.

Andrew WK was awesome, the energy from the band and crowd was unreal. I thought it was unnecessary to have three guitarists, but whatever, one of them had Death t-shirt.

Gwar kicked ass. I've never seen them before (even though they're in Milwaukee every year), and I don't know what my problem was. Their show is so over the top and offensive and their music is actually pretty good. I ended up covered in fake blood (thanks to a female torso, the pope getting raped by a giant cross, Jesus being violently killed, amongst others) and it was bad ass.

Danzig was the main reason I went and was awesome. He still has the energy of a youngster and his voice was mostly awesome - sometimes when he would sing more powerful parts/yell it didn't sound as good, but that's okay. It was great hearing Devil's Plaything again as well as the other classics. The Misfits set was definitely the highlight, the crowd went totally ballistic, as did the band. I'm wondering if they had to cut some songs because Glenn mentioned how they were only allowed ten minutes left (before playing Last Caress). After Mother, there was about five minutes of cheering for them to come back out. After Die, Die, the crowd kept chanting "138! 138!" but they never came back out.

Some cool moments - during Skincarver, Glenn was running around going nuts on stage and collided into a crew member, not being phased or missing his cue to sing (the crew member was okay too). Also, like every Danzig show it seems, there were problems with some of the monitors and he flipped some. He got hit in the side of the face by a pair of sunglasses, didn't stop singing. During Astro Zombies he was standing on a monitor and fell off it onto his back, then pushed/flipped it over.

Overture of the Rebel Angel
SkinCarver
Hammer of the Gods
Twist of Cain
Am I Demon
Her Black Wings
Devil's Plaything
Blood and Tears
Dirty Black Summer
How the Gods Kill
--Misfits set w/Doyle--
Death Comes Ripping
Vampira
Skulls
London Dungeon
I Turned Into a Martian
Bullet
Astro Zombies
Last Caress
--Doyle leaves--
Mother
---
Die, Die My Darling

valgalder
09-17-2013, 05:45 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2j2ul5h.png

haha

mankvill
09-18-2013, 09:12 AM

I love blink-182 with all my heart, but their setlists aren't the greatest. Mark did an IAMA on reddit a while back and someone asked if they would ever do some deeper cuts in the setlist, and he said something akin to "no one wants to hear that" which caused EVERYONE to be like "UM YEAH WE ACTUALLY WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THAT" but I don't think he got the message.

He also said the current pop punk scene is boring and needs a "kick" so I don't really think he knows what's what in the world of pop punk right now, but he's the reason I play bass so I'll always love him. :P

powerslave_85
09-18-2013, 02:01 PM
My only complaint about the festival itself was the layout. The Rock and Rise stages had lots of trees around them, and the Rock stage was almost inaccessible in the evenings, because to get to it you had to go past the food vendors, which had massive lines around dinner time. And getting to or from either of those stages to the Roots or Riot stages was a pain in the ass.

We also discovered quickly that if you were in a group, you had to come up with a very clear game plan and rallying point in case you got separated, because cell phone coverage was non-existent and trying to just look for people was completely impossible.

velvetgrass
09-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Did anybody see AFI? If so, how were they?

I'm excited for their new album and want to see them live again. Hopefully they'll play Milwaukee or Chicago agin as a headliner next year.

velvetgrass
09-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Mark did an IAMA on reddit a while back and someone asked if they would ever do some deeper cuts in the setlist, and he said something akin to "no one wants to hear that" which caused EVERYONE to be like "UM YEAH WE ACTUALLY WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THAT" but I don't think he got the message.

That's funny lol. I really hope to see them live someday, but if I do I hope they bring back Adam's Song and Reckless Abandon.

powerslave_85
09-18-2013, 07:19 PM

I'm excited for their new album and want to see them live again. Hopefully they'll play Milwaukee or Chicago agin as a headliner next year.
They were good! Decent setlist ("Days of the Phoenix" and "A Single Second" were awesome) and lots of energy as usual. They didn't play any new songs that hadn't already been released, but those two sounded good live. I don't understand why they're still doing their cover of "Just Like Heaven," though. I hate when bands with a big discography do covers live, and it was a little embarrassing considering Dinosaur Jr. did their cover of it a day earlier :lol:

dcmetal108
09-18-2013, 09:34 PM
My only complaint about the festival itself was the layout. The Rock and Rise stages had lots of trees around them, and the Rock stage was almost inaccessible in the evenings, because to get to it you had to go past the food vendors, which had massive lines around dinner time. And getting to or from either of those stages to the Roots or Riot stages was a pain in the ass.

We also discovered quickly that if you were in a group, you had to come up with a very clear game plan and rallying point in case you got separated, because cell phone coverage was non-existent and trying to just look for people was completely impossible.

Yeah the rock stage was weird with the setup and the Rise stage was bad because the sun blinded it.

Cell Phone was HORRIBLE!

AFI was goddamn motherfucking amazing.

dcmetal108
09-18-2013, 09:35 PM
I love blink-182 with all my heart, but their setlists aren't the greatest. Mark did an IAMA on reddit a while back and someone asked if they would ever do some deeper cuts in the setlist, and he said something akin to "no one wants to hear that" which caused EVERYONE to be like "UM YEAH WE ACTUALLY WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THAT" but I don't think he got the message.

He also said the current pop punk scene is boring and needs a "kick" so I don't really think he knows what's what in the world of pop punk right now, but he's the reason I play bass so I'll always love him. :P

Clearly Mark hasn't watched The Wonder Years. They had one of the loudest sing along full sets of Riot Fest and had extra security called in because of the nonstop crowd surfers. Oh yeah and it was all in the rain!

kalfitegrdan
09-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Danzig/Doyle played London Dungeon? That's fucking awesome. I would love to hear that.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-19-2013, 06:52 AM
How were the GWAR vocals? I saw a video of a recent performance where Oderus just kinda mumbled through everything.

dcmetal108
09-19-2013, 09:30 AM
How were the GWAR vocals? I saw a video of a recent performance where Oderus just kinda mumbled through everything.

I couldn't understand a single fucking word during any songs. It sounded like he was just kinda humming the tune.

Anyone want me to do sets and a write up for all three days?

dcmetal108
09-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Everyone I saw :

Riot Fest

Sept. 13th, 2013

Humboldt Park

Hatebreed
Andrew W.K.
Yellowcard
Bad Religion
Sublime With Rome
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
Danzig (with special guest Doyle of "The Misfits")

Riot Fest

Sept. 14th, 2013

Humboldt Park

T.S.O.L.
The Devil Wears Prada
Glassjaw
Pennywise
FLAG (Featuring members of Black Flag)
Blondie
Public Enemy
Rancid
Violent Femmes

Riot Fest

Sept. 15th, 2013

Humboldt Park

The Wonder Years
Quicksand
Against Me!
Bad Books
The Dismemberment Plan
Rocket From The Crypt
Brand New
AFI
Pierce The Veil
The Replacements

NOTE : Did not plan on watching Pierce The Veil because they are fucking horrible but since the two food vendors I wanted were right by the stage I ended up being forced to see most their set. They are within the top 2 worst live bands ever. So fucking bad.

smearCampaign
09-20-2013, 09:22 AM
How was Glassjaw?

dcmetal108
09-21-2013, 07:16 PM
How was Glassjaw?

Meh. John Lennon was viscous live but their lead singer sounds like horse shit.

mankvill
09-21-2013, 07:27 PM
That's funny lol. I really hope to see them live someday, but if I do I hope they bring back Adam's Song and Reckless Abandon.

Mark said the one song they will never play live again is Adam's Song because it's much too personal to him.