PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden -- Kansas City, MO -- September 7th, 2013

mankvill
09-08-2013, 11:26 AM
The legendary Iron Maiden returned to Kansas City after 13 long years to a crowd of over 15,000 on a sweltering Saturday night. The anticipation of the legendary British heavy metal band was too much for most of the fans in attendance, resulting in multiple impromptu sing-alongs while waiting in line for the doors to open. The rabid fanbase is legendary for their devotion to the band - in Kansas City alone there were attendees from Canada, Brazil and England.

After the usual pre-show ritual of playing UFO's "Doctor Doctor" over the PA, Maden exploded onto stage with "Moonchild" from their 1988 album "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son," which was the basis for most of the setlist that night. "Seventh Son" isn't the most recognizable album for casual Iron Maiden fans, resulting in a less-than responsive crowd for deep cuts such as "The Clairvoyant" and the title track, but there was a huge crowd response for the heavy metal anthems "The Number Of The Beast" and "Run To The Hills," but that's to be expected. The crowd, overall, was one of the most engaging crowds that the Sprint Center has ever seen.

Iron Maiden, first and foremost, are entertainers - and entertain they did. The set was stuffed to the brim with explosions and pyrotechnics and animatronic demons. During one of the band's best known songs "The Trooper," the Iron Maiden mascot Eddie the Head came out on stage dressed in civil war garb complete with a rapier and towered over the musicians and delighted the crowd to no end. Other appearances from Eddie were a giant bespectacled Eddie sculpture for "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" and a replica of the Eddie from the "Seventh Son" album art, complete with real fire coming out of the top of his head.

Legendary frontman Bruce Dickinson was all over the stage, bounding from side to side and launching himself off monitors before retreating backstage only to come out on the elevated part of the stage in costume. The 55 year-old with one of the greatest voices in music history has more energy on stage than most frontmen half his age. The rest of the band was just as energetic - founder Steve Harris on bass ran from side-to-side engaging the crowd and emphatically singing and "shooting" the crowd with his guitar. The trio of guitarists in Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers were all mixed beautifully with neither of their guitars drowning out the others, and their guitar solos in songs came through clear. Nicko McBrain on drums was hidden behind his multiple cymbals, but a video camera projecting onto screens flanking the stage showed him drumming away with a permanent smile on his face.

Whether they were playing their hits or some deeper cuts, Iron Maiden never gave less than 100%. It was a memorable concert not just because it's a legendary band, but they put on one of the best performances that the Sprint Center has ever seen.

Opening the show was another legendary band, thrash metal titans Megadeth. Fronted by controversial shredder Dave Mustaine, the band ripped through a short set with little in-between song banter that they're usually known for. They opened with "Hangar 18" from their amazing "Rust In Peace" album and kept most of the set in their classic albums. A rare performance of "In My Darkened Hour" set most of the crowd into one big mosh pit and their political anthem "Peace Sells" incited a huge chant from everyone. It was a quick set, but Megadeth made the most of it and was the perfect opener for Iron Maiden.

Iron Maiden:

1. Moonchild
2. Can I Play With Madness
3. The Prisoner
4. 2 Minutes To Midnight
5. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
6. The Trooper
7. The Number Of The Beast
8. Phantom Of The Opera
9. Run To The Hills
10. Wasted Years
11. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Fear Of The Dark
14. Iron Maiden
----
15. Aces High
16. The Evil That Men Do
17. Running Free

Megadeth:

1. Hangar 18
2. Wake Up Dead
3. In My Darkest Hour
4. Sweating Bullets
5. Kingmaker
6. Tornado Of Souls
7. Peace Sells
8. Symphony Of Destruction
----
9. Holy Wars

Iron Maiden: 10/10
Megadeth: 9/10

anomynous
09-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Are In My Darkest hour & Tornado that rare?

I've only seen Megadeth once and I've seen every song on that set except for Kingmaker.

Coma323
09-08-2013, 11:31 AM
I think they are only rare in the last few years. Don't think they've been playing Tornado since the RIP tours.

mankvill
09-08-2013, 11:31 AM
My personal thoughts:

Iron Maiden was everything I thought it would be and more. Like honestly, this is probably the only thing that I've had hyped up so hard and it actually exceeded my expectations. When they were playing The Prisoner and Aces High and The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do, I was in fucking heaven.

The crowd was pretty good from where I was for most of the songs, though I was kind of disappointed there wasn't more singing along to songs like Seventh Son and Phantom of the Opera, but it more than made up for it for how crazy everyone went for the hits, especially NOTB and Fear of the Dark. Singing along with Peace Sells with everyone used to be one of my favorite concert memories, but now the chilling feeling I get when everyone was singing along with the opening of Fear of the Dark is my favorite concert moment ever. May just have been the best concert experience of my life!

Also Megadeth was really good. Dave kept his mouth shut and just shred, which is exactly what I wanted him to do. Tornado of Souls rules!

mankvill
09-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Maiden was actually selling merch outside of the Sprint Center before doors opened, so that was awesome. I thought I was gonna have to get in line early so I could get merch and still get a good spot. They were only selling shirts outside, but inside they had their own stand selling flags and then other stuff like cups (these were actually really fucking cool) and some other stuff.

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q71/s720x720/1239876_10201247415766042_862561113_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/q71/s720x720/1175244_10201247416126051_1098223796_n.jpg

Shirts were $40 except for the stupid Affliction-looking one, which was $50.

mankvill
09-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Are In My Darkest hour & Tornado that rare?

I've only seen Megadeth once and I've seen every song on that set except for Kingmaker.

I know that Tornado hasn't been in the set for a while. Also I'm just using flowery language because that's my "professional" review, cut me some slack. :P

anomynous
09-08-2013, 11:53 AM
:finger::finger:

So many merch choices. Think I'm gonna get the event shirt tonight, then the Maiden England 2013 shirt later if they put it online.

Dextrimental
09-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Which shirt did you get? I got the Seventh Son one myself when I seen them in June. Maiden are untouchable when it's a classics set.

mankvill
09-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Which shirt did you get? I got the Seventh Son one myself when I seen them in June. Maiden are untouchable when it's a classics set.

Just the North America event shirt. I really like the eddie as uncle sam take on the seventh son artwork, but i REALLY like the tattered US + British flags on the back. Also less dates = "Kansas City" is in a bigger font ;)

PowerMaiden
09-08-2013, 12:39 PM
back home in Montreal, the whole trip went great , I'm really happy I did it

show was nothing short of awesome. Maiden were on fire like always and the Kansas city crowd was one of the best, if not THE best U.S. crowd I have ever seen.

sorry we have missed eachother Manky but I'm happy you finally saw the greatest metal band on earth.

Here a pic I took during the show

http://oi42.tinypic.com/11j56hy.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

mankvill
09-08-2013, 12:42 PM
yeah, hopefully our paths will cross again sometime soon!

Christen
09-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Man, every Iron Maiden show is something special and I bet seeing them with Megadeth opening would make it even more awesome.

JRA
09-08-2013, 03:17 PM
YOU GOT TORNADO OF SOULS YOU LUCKY MOTHERFUCKER!

Hangar 18 is a strange choice for an opener, but its a hell of a lot better than Trust.

Dave ought to go back to Set The World Afire, that was just about perfect. It is a little weird that In My Darkest Hour has become rare now, considering its one of Megadeth's most well known songs.

Bengals279
09-08-2013, 03:22 PM
That was definitely a great show. Highlight for me was either Run To The Hills or right before Bruce started singing for "Fear Of The Dark". Set list was amazing too

IrritatedTrout
09-08-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. :party: I'm already bummed that I'm not seeing them again soon.;)

Bengals279
09-08-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. :party: I'm already bummed that I'm not seeing them again soon.;)

I had that feeling 30 mins after the show haha

TheWildAndTheYoung
09-08-2013, 06:50 PM
By what you said it must be the best show on earth, which only makes me want to see them that much more.Come back soon Maiden! :fist:

smearCampaign
09-08-2013, 07:32 PM
So, do you guys know roughly what time doors were, when Megadeth went on, and when Maiden went on? Thanks.

mankvill
09-08-2013, 07:35 PM
So, do you guys know roughly what time doors were, when Megadeth went on, and when Maiden went on? Thanks.

Doors here were at 6, Megadeth went on around 7:15 and played until about 8:05 or so, Maiden went on a little after 9 and finished up around 10:30!

Bengals279
09-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Doors were suppose to be @6. They opened at roughly 610-615. Megadeth was suppose to go on @730, they went on @720. Maiden went on @9

NickLed19
09-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Maiden was 9-10:45

Butcher of Birth
09-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Eddie walked out during The Trooper at your show? Until this show he would walk out during the Run to the Hills solos. Regardless, good review.

PowerMaiden
09-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Eddie walked out during The Trooper at your show? Until this show he would walk out during the Run to the Hills solos. Regardless, good review.

no he walked during RTTH like everywhere else. I thing the OP is a copy\ paste of some sort of newspaper review. Manky ?

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

mankvill
09-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Yeah, it was RTTH. My bad. :eyes:

Does anyone remember the song where Bruce was talking about cooking and BBQing during the song and he said something like "This is how I barbecue" and he made the flames go off for like a minute straight?

PowerMaiden
09-09-2013, 11:05 AM
^ Probably during Phantom

he also said something like ''When I come to Kansas City I think about the cows... Let them Die they taste so good ...''

so .. you can't go to KC without trying the Jack Stack ribs can ya ? ;)
http://oi42.tinypic.com/6rq62t.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
http://oi39.tinypic.com/xp1nba.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
09-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Moonchild live in Kansas city, filmed by yours truly ( with a bit of over excitement fanboy screams http://www.ironmaiden.qc.ca/forum/images/smilies/beerbang.gif )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vumhph0U204&feature=youtu.be
my first ever video so be gentle

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

mankvill
09-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I wanted those cups so bad! Should've picked some up but by the time I knew about them, they were sold out.

Glad you liked Jack Stack! My cousin had his wedding reception catered by them. Awesome ribs!

PowerMaiden
09-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I wanted those cups so bad! Should've picked some up but by the time I knew about them, they were sold out.

yeah and they had 2 Final Frontier and a NOTB back in 2010 so that makes 6 of them here :D

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

NickLed19
09-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Dude I want one of those cups so bad. I did not see anyone selling them in Nashville.

PowerMaiden
09-09-2013, 01:33 PM
here are the rest of the videos I took ...

walking Eddie during RTTH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNWPdxiBDk

7 th Son Eddie during Iron Maiden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIwos8stPEs&feature=youtu.be

half of Aces High (my memory card was full at this point :flame: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYV6BrAeqV0

until next time...

...Have A Good Sin

Up The Irons !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

kevindeets
09-09-2013, 04:38 PM
I went to this show as well (made the road trip from Detroit to see Tigers/Royals on Fri and Sun and the concert on Sat). It was the same show as their tour w/ Alice Cooper last summer, but no complaints. It was fantastic! I loved KC as well, and I'll definitely be back.

kevindeets
09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Also, on Megadeth's setlist, swith Peace Sells & Symphony. They played Symphony, then Peace Sells, then the encore

Travis The Dragon
09-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Here (http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=464193) is an audio bootleg of the entire show.

Nick_to_the_face
09-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Easily the best show of my life, and honestly probably the best show I will ever see. There are hardly words to describe how fantastic that was! The next day was the Acacia Strain, and I hardly wanted to go to that after seeing the spectacle on Saturday! Everything was top notch, and finally having the chance to sing along to songs I have loved for years was incredible. But I am very sad that I couldn't find the Maiden cups :snivel:

jhdeity
09-10-2013, 05:15 PM
I can't believe Maiden played that INCREDIBLE setlist and half of the posts in this thread are about Megadeth. WT f'n F?

Screaming along to Aces High had to be one of the highlights of the night... along with The Prisoner of course.

mankvill
09-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Here (http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=464193) is an audio bootleg of the entire show.

I'm not a member, someone upload it somewhere else for me >:I

300%_Density
09-10-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm not a member, someone upload it somewhere else for me >:I

Crazy idea. If you have 60 seconds to burn you could just setup an account. :cool:

HartAttack
09-11-2013, 12:32 PM
I was at that show with my 16 year old son in the second row. Fucking amazing night!!!! I managed to get the collectors cups before the show and yes they were gone after. I also snagged Dave Mustaine's pick during Megadeth as well as Davy and Adrian's during Maiden. Those cups, picks, my ticket stub as well as 2 empty bottles of Trooper that I got the night before the show are being shadow boxed with the SSOASS poster from Metal Hammer magazine. I also noticed that Davy and Steve gave their wristbands to this 10 year old girl who managed to make it to the front with some help from me and the people around me, classy move by both. It was the second time my son and I had made a decent drive for a Maiden show, with the other being Dallas last summer with Coheed and Cambria which is my son's favorite band but nothing can compare to being that close to the stage for Maiden. (except for up against the barrier) I also stuck around KC for the Tigers Royals game the next day as well, since my Fiancee is a massive Tigers fan she drove up to meet us on sunday. Now I can't wait for them to come back through again.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/r270/1173853_10201677638930205_1591547580_n.jpg

mankvill
09-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Glad you had a good time! Always fun to see some more KC members on this board. :D

Bengals279
09-11-2013, 05:01 PM
I was at that show with my 16 year old son in the second row. Fucking amazing night!!!! I managed to get the collectors cups before the show and yes they were gone after. I also snagged Dave Mustaine's pick during Megadeth as well as Davy and Adrian's during Maiden. Those cups, picks, my ticket stub as well as 2 empty bottles of Trooper that I got the night before the show are being shadow boxed with the SSOASS poster from Metal Hammer magazine. I also noticed that Davy and Steve gave their wristbands to this 10 year old girl who managed to make it to the front with some help from me and the people around me, classy move by both. It was the second time my son and I had made a decent drive for a Maiden show, with the other being Dallas last summer with Coheed and Cambria which is my son's favorite band but nothing can compare to being that close to the stage for Maiden. (except for up against the barrier) I also stuck around KC for the Tigers Royals game the next day as well, since my Fiancee is a massive Tigers fan she drove up to meet us on sunday. Now I can't wait for them to come back through again.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/r270/1173853_10201677638930205_1591547580_n.jpg

Hey how long we're you in line? I may have talked to you. I had red hair.

HartAttack
09-11-2013, 09:41 PM
We showed up around 9 and got our tickets, then bounced over to Grinders for some food and then came back around 1230 or 1. You may have been the kid that walked with me to the pizza place across the street to hit the restroom.

Bengals279
09-12-2013, 07:02 AM
We showed up around 9 and got our tickets, then bounced over to Grinders for some food and then came back around 1230 or 1. You may have been the kid that walked with me to the pizza place across the street to hit the restroom.

Ya man that was me!

Nick_to_the_face
09-13-2013, 06:34 AM
I wonder of that's the guy who gave us Oreos

mankvill
09-13-2013, 07:12 AM

that was so amazing

Bengals279
09-13-2013, 09:44 AM

I still can't believe I missed those :flame:

IrritatedTrout
09-13-2013, 10:05 AM
I missed it but Logan said some guy brought 4 or 5 pizzas to the line in Nashville and just gave em away to everyone.

HartAttack
09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
While I was walking around, either to the restroom or to the merch tent, someone gave away some pizza to some of the people who had been sitting there longer than I had.

scott308
09-22-2013, 09:23 AM
^ Probably during Phantom

he also said something like ''When I come to Kansas City I think about the cows... Let them Die they taste so good ...''

so .. you can't go to KC without trying the Jack Stack ribs can ya ? ;)
http://oi42.tinypic.com/6rq62t.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I know those guys! Some friends and I drove down from Madison, WI for KC and St. Louis, and hung out with them (not the one in glasses however) in the pit in St. Louis. Really nice guys. And Jack Stack was awesome food. My buddy orders from them every year for his birthday and has it shipped to him.

Nick_to_the_face
09-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Jack stack is low tier compared to all the other places around here. Its good! But once you've had Oklahoma Joes:drool: