View Full Version : ProgPower 2014

gilpdawg
09-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Friday, September 12, 2014
DISCOURSE
ORDEN OGAN
LEPROUS
OVERKILL
SEVENTH WONDER (performing "Mercy Falls" in its entirety)
STRATOVARIUS

Saturday, September 13, 2014
WITHEM
DIVIDED MULTITUDE
VOODOO CIRCLE
MASTERPLAN
PAIN OF SALVATION (performing "Remedy Lane" in its entirety)
JON OLIVA'S PAIN (performing SAVATAGE's "Streets: A Rock Opera" in its entirety)

mankvill
09-06-2013, 11:11 PM
so Overkil

ravenheart
09-07-2013, 04:08 AM
That second day is :drool:

And yeah, obviously Overkill are totally awesome, but what are they doing at this festival?

anomynous
09-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Overkill is so prog

Spiner202
09-07-2013, 04:48 AM
I realized this year that the dates of this festival (assuming it is similar to this year) fall in a short period where I'm not in school, so I'm seriously considering going to this next year.

Stratovarius because an exclusive means they aren't touring here until 2015 at the earliest, and I sadly missed them in 2009. Overkill is a strange, but always welcome choice. Jon Oliva's Pain doing Streets will be amazing, even though it is my least favourite Savatage album from HOTMK-TWOM. Orden Ogan is wicked, Masterplan is decent, and if I went to this, I'd seek out stuff by the other bands.

This festival always conflicts me because I like power metal but not really progressive stuff.

markrz
09-07-2013, 07:00 AM
I've loved this festival for a long time, but I didn't make it this year. Really hurts missing Armored Saint!

But put simply, Pain of Salvation are my favorite band and Remedy Lane is my favorite album. So I know where I'll be.

PVH5150
09-07-2013, 08:05 AM
JON OLIVA'S PAIN (performing SAVATAGE's "Streets: A Rock Opera" in its entirety)

Mother of god.

MetalIsArt
09-07-2013, 08:22 AM

And yeah, obviously Overkill are totally awesome, but what are they doing at this festival?

Their next album will be a prog-masterpiece with 5 songs, ranging from 7 tot 11 minutes in length. ;)

markrz
09-07-2013, 08:34 AM
To me, it's not extremely weird that Overkill is playing at all, so much as it is that they're not headlining. I understand that Stratovarius and Seventh Wonder are more exclusive events, but this is OVERKILL.

But there are other ways I can look at it, too. Thrashers who also love prog will get a great fix, while prog fans who don't like Overkill will have a nice opportunity to go out and get some dinner or do some merch shopping.

gilpdawg
09-07-2013, 09:31 AM

They are kind of getting away from EVERY band having to be prog or power metal, mostly because almost every band in that scene has played it at least once, so he's gotta broaden it up some. Hence, Armored Saint/Soilwork this year, Forbidden last year, etc.

gangrene
09-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Must do.

Travis The Dragon
09-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Why on earth isn't this a touring festival? It would probably skip here if it was anyway. :lol:

justinm4bama
09-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Thursday preshow lineup:

Pagan's Mind (performing Celestial Entrance in its entirety).
DGM
Draekon

Wow that's about 4 bands playing full albums.

gilpdawg
09-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Why on earth isn't this a touring festival? It would probably skip here if it was anyway. :lol:
It wouldn't work as a touring festival. Most of those bands can't draw flies outside of the PP environment. A lot of people go to this fest because of the atmosphere....partying with bands and the fans at the hotel, etc. You wouldn't have that on a traveling festival.

maidenpriest
09-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Never have I been more motivated to try going to this, with Seventh Wonder, Stratovarius and Pagans Mind. Overkill and seeing Streets would be fun as well but I'd kill to see the first three. Need to start saving for a plane ticket!

justinm4bama
09-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Only complaint I have about Stratovarius is they're no original members. The oldest member in the band has only been in since 1994 but the band has been around since 1986. In between 86 and 94 are some of the band's best albums but if they play anything from them then wouldn't that just be a cover band?

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-08-2013, 11:36 AM

I live 45 minutes from the venue and always forget the fest is happening until the day after, so you're not that far off.

Maiden33
09-08-2013, 04:00 PM
There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I'm finally going to go next year. This might be my favorite lineup they've had in at least 7 years at this point (2010 and 2009 were both commendable)... If there was going to be one major outlier, Overkill is about the best choice they could've made for my personal tastes. Regarding them not headlining: It's standard practice for ProgPower to bill bands according to what they consider to be the demand amongst the festival's audience... so I think their slot is a proper one. Also, no one ever plays less than 45+ minutes there. Even 3 bands down the bill, you can count on a minimum of 60 minutes from them.

I'm glad they took it back to 6 bands per night as opposed to 7, and also I'm glad to see a minimal inclusion of the Folk/Viking and Symphonic Metal demographics for a change. Jon Oliva's Pain, Seventh Wonder, Stratovarius, Pagan's Mind, DGM, and Ordan Ogen are the bands I'm currently most excited about. Masterplan has let me down in recent years and now there's no Jorn, but I glanced at a recent setlist and they still play half of their first album live, so I will still have a fantastic time seeing them live. Also, Voodoo Circle is a great inclusion, it's always nice to see some Melodic Hard Rock stuff getting some love. All of that plus JOP playing Streets, Seventh Wonder playing Mercy Falls, and personal friends of mine Draekon getting this amazing opportunity... I'm sold, no doubt about it.

MPF
09-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Disperse has been replaced with Thought Chamber.

gangrene
10-03-2013, 01:41 PM
70% sold out yesterday. :D

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I went in 09'. It was awesome. Went just for Pagan's Mind and Fates Warning but I really enjoyed Orphaned Land and Circus Maximus, as well.

markrz
10-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Speaking of 09, the live tracks that come as a bonus on the new Fates album are recordings from that show. I wasn't expecting that so it's a pleasant surprise to re-live that night.

gilpdawg
10-03-2013, 11:43 PM
70% sold out yesterday. :D
Got mine! The drive is going to blow but fuck it.

justinm4bama
10-04-2013, 08:13 AM
The Wednesday Mid Week Show is announced:

Pain of Salvation, Theocracy, and Vangough.

ravenheart
10-04-2013, 08:22 AM
The Wednesday Mid Week Show is announced:

Pain of Salvation, Theocracy, and Vangough.

Anything headlined by PoS is a win.

darkguardian50
10-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Holy shit. I think I'm actually gonna go this year.

I mean wow Streets in its entirety AND Remedy Lane? Jesus. The only way that coulda been better is if POS did Perfect Element in its entirety :)

TheWildAndTheYoung
10-10-2013, 12:49 PM
That's a pretty sweet line-up, Stratovarius, Seventh Wonder, Orden Agan, Thought Chamber, Voodoo Circle, Jon Oliva's Pain, Masterplan, Pain Of Salvation, and I wouldn't even mind seeing Overkill.I heard for Wednesday they will be doing a show at The Loft with Vangough, Theocracy, and Pain Of Salvation as well.I would really love to see this but all my money is going towards M3 next year so it's not likely unfortunately.Cool thing is it's right here in Georgia so I always have the option every year without worry of making travel plans :).

coltongsmith
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Officially Sold-Out

justinm4bama
09-10-2014, 01:21 PM
So who all is going to this?

gangrene
09-11-2014, 03:55 PM
going tomorrow; may have a ticket to sell for saturday.

gilpdawg
09-12-2014, 08:06 AM
So who all is going to this?

I'm here!

mankvill
09-12-2014, 11:04 AM
My buddy William (Palabra de Dios on this site) is there! If you see a clean cut guy in a patch jacket with a big Bolt Thrower patch on the back, that's him!

justinm4bama
09-12-2014, 06:09 PM
My buddy William (Palabra de Dios on this site) is there! If you see a clean cut guy in a patch jacket with a big Bolt Thrower patch on the back, that's him!

Doesn't he go by something (don't remember what) the weather man?

gilpdawg
09-14-2014, 09:21 PM
I think I saw him at one point. Couldn't have been many Bolt Thrower patches.

markrz
09-15-2014, 07:14 AM
I saw him many times throughout the weekend. He was all over the place. I kept thinking he looked familiar but it's probably because I saw him at past fests.