PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Government to Charge International Touring Artists $425 per Band Member per

dcmetal108
08-28-2013, 12:36 PM
An additional $275.00 fee has been added by the Canadian Government to the application for international artists to enter and perform within Canada.

This additional $275.00 fee - applications previously were a one time fee of $150.00, and now total $425 per band member - is required to be paid by talent buyers in Canada when aiming to host an international touring artist. This will inevitably cripple small music venues and small business talent buyers.

As the Calgary Herald reports,

"The new rules, which quietly came into effect July 31, will double, triple or even quadruple the cost of bringing in international artists to perform in bars, restaurants or coffee shops..."

Today we take a stand for the development of culture and performance arts.

The implications of allowing such additional fees will hinder the potential for talented international artists whom simply aim to perform for their fans and expand their recognition. Canada's introduction of such a fee should not be taken lightly, nor excused. The development of our culture on a global scale and the opportunity to invite talents from beyond our borders is something to be cherished and appreciated, not taxed in such a way that will only discourage Canadian talent buyers from welcoming international talent.

With this inflation of upfront fees associated to bringing an international artist to Canada, the government is taking a clear stance of desired control over a culture that blossoms with freedom and deserve support rather than increased financial responsibility.

Sign your name to this petition and share it with those whom you feel will also stand behind challenging such a greedy and unmerited demand that will strangle local small businesses and those attempting to welcome international talent to Canada, growing our cultural diversity and global notoriety.

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canadian-government-to-charge-international-touring-artists-425-per-band-member-per-performance-in-canada-previously-a-1-time-150-fee#share

Damn, that's expensive.

300%_Density
08-28-2013, 12:42 PM
America's hat really screwed the pooch on this one. Sucks for the Canadians on this site.

Bengals279
08-28-2013, 12:56 PM
That means more smaller bands coming to Merica. Sucks to live in Canada.

Christen
08-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Yep, we are definitely going to be getting a lot less smaller bands from now on.

Dextrimental
08-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Anyone have a link to a statement on behalf of the government for bringing this in? This isn't logical at all.

MPF
08-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Considering it is between 2-$4,000 per person to get a musician's work visa in America, that's really not as bad.

hot_turkey_ed
08-28-2013, 04:18 PM
With the cost of touring already prohibitive for new / smaller / extreme bands, I hope Canada doesn't spend all that money they will be making in one place. :hecho:

:canada:

hot_turkey_ed
08-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Original Source: Calgary Herald (http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/fees+international+touring+musicians+threaten+smal ler/8842759/story.html)

Interesting...

In emailed responses to the Herald, officials note that the rules — which they assure were created with advance consultation from a “wide range of stakeholders across the country,” — “apply to all aspects of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, except primary agriculture.” That includes the new fee, which “ensures the administrative costs of the program are paid by employers” — who can’t recover the fee from the workers — “and no longer subsidized by taxpayers.”

They’re also quick to point out there are exemptions, which, on a musical level, includes “musicians in a band performing several tour dates in Canada” and “musicians and buskers coming to Canada to perform in festivals,” with the one major caveat being that they “must not perform in bars and restaurants.”

That’s where Brown and others take exception, noting that other venues that exist exclusively for concerts or other events such as the Saddledome and MacEwan Hall, or larger festivals, aren’t penalized despite having a greater opportunity to recoup financial investments.

“They are targeting the little guy, they’re targeting small venues, they’re targeting small business,” he says. “So, me, as the promoter at The Palomino, which will hold 200 people at the best of times, is paying out $425 per band member whereas a guy from a huge promotions company putting on a 20,000-seater for Elton John in the stadium is tax free.

justinm4bama
08-28-2013, 06:21 PM
That's crazy to think about. Even small American bands that want to do a few Canadian dates will be charged $425 per show per member. Pure greed. Good luck on ever getting Therion back up there.

anomynous
08-28-2013, 06:25 PM
That's crazy to think about. Even small American bands that want to do a few Canadian dates will be charged $425 per show per member. Pure greed. Good luck on ever getting anybody back up there.

Fixed

justinm4bama
08-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Fixed

Haha what?

anomynous
08-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Changed Therion to anybody

:light::allan:

Spiner202
08-28-2013, 06:54 PM
This is an awful idea. I'm gonna sign the petition and contact whoever I'm supposed to in the government to hopefully get something going in the right direction.

It's interesting to note that this law went into effect recently, and yet there are still small bands coming through. A band that drew maybe 15 people to a show in Toronto last time are coming through again soon. I wonder if this kind of fee is even being reported to the government all the time.

V-cloak
08-28-2013, 07:06 PM
I am a proud Canadian, but hearing about this I am disgusted with my country for the first time. This monstrosity can not pass.

Onioner
08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
This is an awful idea. I'm gonna sign the petition and contact whoever I'm supposed to in the government to hopefully get something going in the right direction.

It's interesting to note that this law went into effect recently, and yet there are still small bands coming through. A band that drew maybe 15 people to a show in Toronto last time are coming through again soon. I wonder if this kind of fee is even being reported to the government all the time.

This reminds me a lot of the ASCAP/BMI laws that are there to make sure artists get royalties when their songs are covered on other band's albums albums. That law is basically only enforced with big bands, anyone at the club level doesn't really have to worry about it. Paralleling with this law, I doubt that it'll affect bands that hit up bars and small clubs, since it seems that fees would be collected from show to show via the promoters instead of at the border when the tour begins. That's the way I read the law anyway, anyone care to correct me?

Spiner202
08-28-2013, 07:24 PM
This reminds me a lot of the ASCAP/BMI laws that are there to make sure artists get royalties when their songs are covered on other band's albums albums. That law is basically only enforced with big bands, anyone at the club level doesn't really have to worry about it. Paralleling with this law, I doubt that it'll affect bands that hit up bars and small clubs, since it seems that fees would be collected from show to show via the promoters instead of at the border when the tour begins. That's the way I read the law anyway, anyone care to correct me?

Based on what I read from the Calgary Herald article, there is an exemption for bands playing venues specifically for live music or events (ie: music halls, ampitheaters, etc.), but any bars or restaurants that host live events will have to pay. This is even more ridiculous because the bands that play larger venues are likely to be better off with the hit in payment they'll receive from venues who have to pay this.